Naruto: A Second Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shibua Kurogaki
After making sure that all of them were completely finished and had no more words to say he then decided it was time to speak. He loosened the hardness in his face that had only been for show, and put on his trademark warm smile as he began his first bit of insight. "Aoko. Your dream is one that is truly close to your heart as I can tell just from the passion of your words. However, the ninja world is quite cruel and will no doubt slam you with persecution, blind hatred, and simple mistrust for years to come simply because of who you are. But its my job as your sensei to ensure that your ready and able to bear that weight, and turns their misguided judgement into power and motivation to climb towards your ideals. Your clan will surely rue the day they lost such an able prize fighter like yourself once you stand tall and proud."

Now shifting his gaze towards Mayaka the giant bent his knee to be able look her more in the face than standing up. "I can already tell that you shall be a proud shinobi young one. You remind me much of myself when I was around your age. In some ways I our goals are one in the same as I try to prove your ideal to be a fact everyday I venture out of the village. Kumogakure was a village that wasn't built on fancy bloodlines like those other main villages claim as a standing point. We here in Kumo developed our own techniques to show the world that just because you weren't born with natural talents, doesn't mean that you can't compete for the top spot. Your ideal is one that I shall surely help you to strive towards with gusto in the future."

Rising back to his full height he then moved over to Hideki and gave a slight smirk at his answer. "Damn son! Just graduated and already thinking like a kage eh? That's wonderful though might even have found a better replacement should I ever step down too soon." Pausing to let go a short burst of laughter he then became serious as he gazed down at his student. "You'll go far so long as you remember that you must be able to rely upon your allies. I may be strong and all, but even I need help from time to time. Its a lonely existence if all you hold dear is your own life. But with you I can see a man that will have no trouble caring for his friends, and being a bright banner of Kumogakure's ideals."

Taking a step back he looked them all in the face and made sure to pause for great dramatic effect before handing off his verdict. "After listening to all your dreams combined into one force I can safely say that all of you...pass. Congratulations kids your now full-fledged shinobi as of this day going forward!" Giving them all a strong thumbs up to put the stamp of his seal of approval. "Although, the day is still young so we shall get to training immediately. After all don't want those others teams to catch up to us in skill correct? Now we're run up this mountain with no breaks, spar a bit at the top, and finally go full speed coming back down. Time to put those hopes and dreams to the test. Ready? Go!" Without anymore warning Shibua was already off on his way running at a good pace up the path leading to the head of the mountain. Today may have not totally gone the way he had been planning, but he'd be dammed if that's all it took to slow him down now.

Kumogakure Clear!

The wind blew fiercely around the field, blowing back the white robes that swathed the Mizukage's body. Her hood fell back, revealing the dark blonde hair that now cloaked her shoulders. Her translator stood beside her- a puny redheaded thing with eyes so black they could be coals. They stared up into the bright blue-green eyes of the Mizukage with worry. "I'm quite confused, Ine. Why haven't your students arrived yet?" A thin finger reached out and touched the boy's lips, silencing the words that rushed out of them. 'Still early.' She signed. 'Maybe one comes now. None will be late.' The white mask covering Ine's face conveyed the same blankness it always did. "E-Early?" The redhead checked the position of the sun, then raised his gaze back up to his ever-silent leader. "Well, I guess you're right. I don't see a kid coming, though." The finger from before was pushed back into his lips. Ine squinted her eyes. 'Watch and you will see.' The finality of the words seemed to shut the tiny male up and Ine eagerly awaited the arrival of her first student, or maybe all of her students at once.

Reactions: The Dapper Mog
Yuko would be seen on the roof of her house, staring at the sky that still had a few stars darting the sky as the sun slowly rose. Another sleepless night for her, as every time she tried to get some sleep she'd have nightmares of bloodshed and bone, so instead of sleeping she spends her nights staring at the stars in the night sky, as they soothed her. She sighed as she stood, her body creaking slightly from finally moving from it's original position after more than 10 hours. With a slight grunt she dropped from the roof and began to walk towards the training ground to meet her sensei. In all honesty, not getting any sleep didn't bother her all that much, as she wasn't the only one of her clan members that had the nightmares. A few years ago they had managed to make a medicine, in pill form, that gave the taker the full feeling of sleep utilizing their chakra, with the only drawback being that their chakra reserves would take a small hit. With a small grunt she forced the pill down her throat. Internally she was hoping she could see her fellow clan member Kaizuri soon, as she admired the boy to a small degree. She saw how ruthless and violent he can be when fighting, and it inspired her to get better with her bloodline and in her ninja abilities in general. With a start she realized she was at the training grounds her sensei was supposed to be and after scanning the field for a second, she saw Lady Mizukage with her beady eyed translator with her. As she walked towards them she gave them a small wave, before yawning as the pill finally took affect and the bags under her eyes disappeared a tiny bit.

"Good morning sensei..." Yuko said lazily as she stopped a few feet from Lady Mizukage, admiring her beauty for a second before relaxing and waiting for her prospective team-mates.

Reactions: Ash Mortis
Another day, though this time it was different. Eisuke had gotten up bright and early that morning, a little too early for a Genin. He had been ready to leave the house at 3 in the morning, but was simply waiting for the time to drag by for him to go to the training grounds. In his hands was a kunai, the young teen using the tip of the blade to pick the dirt from under his fingernails, every now and then his visible eye looking back over to the clock to check the time.

It was his first day out of the Academy, now holding the title as Genin. Though it may not be for very long. Eisuke had a carefree nature about him where he never took a situation to heart, less he knew it was a life or death. He studied his lessons and understood everything he needed to become a successful Genin. But knowing that those pretend situations were simply that, Eisuke couldn't bring himself to really care.

His Academy teachers chastised him for this attitude, telling him that he couldn't be like this during a serious mission. Eisuke had always told them the same thing;

"Unless the circumstances are happening right now, I have no reason to worry."

He couldn't wait to see how his new sensei would cope with his carefree attitude...

When the clock struck his desired time, he hopped off the chair he had been sitting in and started making his way to the training grounds. It didn't even take 20 minutes for him to begin arriving at the training grounds, and what he saw surprised him. He could see three people already. One being what looked to be that creepy Kaguya girl, a small redheaded boy whom he had never seen at the Academy, and the Mizukage herself...

Wait, the Mizukage was going to be training him?

Well then. Was he last to arrive of his team? Maybe he'll have to leave the house earlier.

"Good morning Lady Mizukage." Eisuke greeted once he had approached her, bowing to her out of respect then looked towards the redhead, "Good morning, person." then turned his gaze towards Yuko, "And other person." She wasn't very memorable to him, so he had already forgotten her name.

• Love
Reactions: Multi
Kaizuri Kaguya
"...Time." Opening up his eyes to break the constant stream of darkness, Kaizuri stands up as his body recognized the time of day rather than seeing actual light outside. His night had been plagued by another stream of odd dreams that had been growing more frequent these days. Voices seemed to be speaking to him that were familiar, yet also so distant he couldn't recall the faces to match their voices. As he felt he wasn't going to sleep much that night he instead sat and meditated for the remainder of the night to prepare his body for the possible challenges in the morning. Now that he decided it was time to awaken he went about his time preparing for the trials that awaited him for certain this day. His mind was focused upon what was awaiting him, his mentor for the next years, and just where his path would lead. The last thought provided him to look up into the mirror, as he had been watching his face, and looked deep into his eyes that had always seemed to haunt him no matter how often he tried to forget. Walking away before he broke the mirror once more he grabbed his ninja pouch and left his room. He almost collided with the figure that had been standing outside his doorway, but stopped just in time to see the man that stood below him.

He knew this man to be his grandfather who simply stared at him with a understanding, comforting gaze. Kai never let emotions slip from his face much these days, so he only gave a nod in response to relay that he got the message he was trying to send. "I won't fail." With those few words spoken he walked past him and made his journey out of the complex. He always noticed how people would shuffle past a bit faster when he walked by, gave him side looks, or completely avoided him entirely. He knew this had to be due to his blood as a Kaguya and their infamous tempers should anyone cross them..but also because of his unusual air that typically put others around him on edge. He paid them no mind of course as he had his goal in mind, and carried onwards wanting to arrive without having to pause for any form of interaction this day. Noting the placement of the sun it seemed that he had awoken far later than he assumed so he expected his placement of arrival to rank rather low.

It didn't take him all that long to arrive at the scene of the training ground where they were requested to meet. He was pleased to know that his assumption of being the last to arrive was correct and looked around at the other bodies in the vicinity. He didn't much care for the boy as he knew his name, but never bothered to interact with him outside of being forced...then again that was his attitude to most others in general. His eyes lingered on Yuko longer than any human should feel comfortable with as he didn't expect to be paired with another Kaguya, and inside gained a small sense of dread at having to work with another member of his "family". After turning his head he looked over to what he assumed to be his instructor and noticed in was the Mizukage. It didn't matter much to him who taught him to be honest, but what they could teach to allow him to grow stronger enough to reach his goal. He didn't care to speak to any of them as they might not even be together for that long, so he stood in his usual stance and awaited further instructions.

Ine stared at her three students, nodding at them. She then turned to her interpreter and began to sign. In turn, the redheaded boy faced the Mizukage's stuents and started to speak. "Welcome. My name is Kaito and it's safe to say you'll be listening to me more than your sens-" Thwap! Ine smacked him in the back of the head with astonishing speed. 'I'd watch what you say. Continue.' She signed angrily. Kaito chuckled nervously, then scanned the young genin in front of him. "The Mizukage hopes you've all slept well and are prepared for this morning's test." He glanced at her still signing hands, muttering that she should slow down. Ine's eyes burned as she sped up. "She'd like you to each introduce yourselves. Name and why you're here. She doesn't want your life story, just give a few facts and your purpose for being in the Academy and now, being a genin. It can be as simple as being forced to be here." Ine nodded in approval, her hair framing her mask. She seemed pleased with this. Kaito stepped back. Ine signed something once again. The small male sighed, but spoke up anyways. "She'd like to invite the pale one to begin the introduction process." For emphasis, Ine gestured towards Kaizuri, then resumed her previous position, resting her hands on her hips.

Kaizuri Kaguya
He'd had lied if he didn't predict that he would most likely be the first to be picked for such a thing. His tone had been soured a bit knowing that he had to play such a childish game such as naming yourself, facts, and the like. Not caring enough to put up a big argument about it he simply played along. "My name is Kaizuri. My goals are my own. I have no strict purpose. And I hate talking about things that others don't need to know." After saying his piece he fell silent once more as he stared, unflinchingly at the Mizukage until she decided to call upon another. Many always described him as blunt for his complete lack of caring about emotions, but he only said what was perfectly necessary because small talk only served to waste his time, energy, and patience. Maybe he could have thrown out more...then again he didn't know the intent behind these questions so best to be as guarded as possible.

Ine moved her hands again. Kaito quickly translated. "Very well. The next one is the girl, then the other guy." Ine took her time studying Kaizuri's posture. He looked... flexible. Like a dancer. He also demonstrated qualities of an introvert, with closed off body language. She wondered if he'd be hard to teach or if he'd not do well in a team setting.

Yuko listened intently to Kaizuri's facts before noticing that she was gestured to go first. With a yawn she began speaking "M' names Yuko. I don't sleep and my only goal at the moment is to become a good ninja. Other then that, I got nothin'." Yuko finished with another yawn as she took out another pill and popped it into her mouth. "Oh, and these pills make it so that i don't feel the effects of sleep, gotta take 2 over the course of an hour." With that said the bags around her eyes disappeared a little more, but were still prevalent, and she looked more aware and energized then before.

Two creepy, closed off kids and his sensei was the Mizukage herself, and some person next to her. What was his name? Kaito? Was he experienced in being a ninja or was he just a translator? Eisuke was curious; Maybe one day he could see for himself. Or he could see this translator piss himself in battle. But for now, it was his turn to introduce himself.

"I'm Eisuke. I come from a line of Shinobi, and I'm just continuing the lineage."

Maybe he could become someone important along the way, or maybe just continue his family's path. Whatever happened happened. The Mizukage didn't need more than the information he shared, so Eisuke didn't say anything else.

The Mizukage nodded in response to her students' introductions, mentally kicking herself for not asking for more. She signed away a quick transition, now explaining a test they'd have to pass. Kaito quickly translated for the kids. "Now that you all know each other's names and the like, we can move on. Please do not rest assured that your spot as a genin is secure, students." Ine smiled underneath her mask. "You have one final test to pass. This test is administered by me and designed by me. Whether you pass or fail is up to you. This is not a test of morals, strength, skill, or intelligence. Today, I am going to introduce you to Dango. He is two months old. Your job is to kill him." And with that, Ine stepped aside, pulling out a basket with a decent sized kitten in it. The tiny cat meowed at Kaizuri and tried to get out of the basket eagerly.

Yuko tilted her head slightly at her teacher before slowly turning towards the kitten. As she walked closer to it, the kitten looked up at her curiously before Yuko carefully, gently, and slowly picked up the kitten and cradled it in her arms. She then proceeded to sit on the ground in a way that the others around her could see her hands, but not the kitten. She began to pet it, watching it purr, as she silently brought a kunai out from under her sleeve, of which only her fellow students, her sensei, and her sensei's translator could see, as the kitten currently had its eyes closed contentedly, purring slightly, whilst Yuko slowly brought the kunai to the back of it's head, intending to stab its brain and end it's suffering instantly, before she looked towards her fellow students for confirmation.

Kaizuri Kaguya
Kai watched as the now presented kitten was placed in front of them began to get excited once it saw his face. It made a sickening feeling rise within him that he didn't feel in years...pity. This was to be his exam for sure, but the happiness from the creature struck a chord within him that no one had been able to reach for a long time. The words that he tried so hard to forget came rushing into his mind like a great tidal wave that refused to relent. And once he saw Yuko place the kunai next to its head...it broke.

Striding forward he got down on his knee and looked her in the eye. With a gentle, yet firm hand he tipped the kunai away enough for his other hand to grab the kitten by its neck. He then stood up and looked it deep into its eyes, as it watched his movements with small bits of wonder. "My test is to claim your life small one. So I shall. From this day forward your life belongs to me." With that being said he turned around to look at the instructors. "I have done as you have asked. His life is now claimed." The kitten not liking his grip made a bit of a struggle to be put down, but he simply lifted it up so that it rested upon his head. His eyes were still as emotionless as ever and yet held a small challenge should the others look dis-favorable with his choice. Then again if they did have problems then they could simply go to hell, because his decision stood final within his mind and all others paled before it.

Ine almost let out a giggle, very pleased with this demonstration. She had actually pinned Kai to be the one to kill the cat. She turned to Kaito, her Kage robes fanning out behind her. "What you just demonstrated is exactly what I preach- Self control. I'm proud of you, Kaizuri. Yoko, your hesitation to kill the cat displays uncertainty and a need for approval from others. I take it you aren't much of a leader. Very well then. Eisuke, this isn't a free pass. Your test is.. A poorly made back up." Ine held out her hand. In it was a piece of hard candy. "Do you trust me? If so, take the candy and eat it. If not, walk away. Your choice." Ine signed with one hand and Kaito spoke with a more mischievous tone.

He looked at the candy with a risen eyebrow. Really? This was the great Mizukage's back up plan? There had to be something wrong with it... Kaizuri and Yuko had the option of whether or not to kill the cat, and he got a candy test? Well, better than nothing he supposed.

Eisuke took the candy, scratching the shell a bit in his examination. Nope, nothing clear or suspicious rubbed off under his nail, didn't smell like roasted almonds or anything funny, and didn't look like it was ready to kill him. Well, if he did die, then at least he knew a strongly and very colorfully worded letter from his mother would be coming to the Mizukage office.

He put the candy in his mouth though did not chew. Instead, he swallowed it whole. If the candy was laced with some kind of poison or anything unfortunate on the inside (somehow), then at least he had some time to vomit it out later... Unless the Mizukage kept them to train.

And if this was a test of trust.. well, he ate the candy. So there's some trust in his sensei.

Reactions: timv999
Hibiki sat with his son Ketsu atop the Hokage tower as the sun rose. It had been the sort of thing he did in the morning on his own but ever since Ketsu had started at the ninja academy, the boy had been joining him. Between the two of them was a bowl with the cores of several apples and a few wrappers of apple flavoured candies. As the morning breeze rustled through Hibiki's hair, the sound of metal clinking could be heard.

"Look Ketsu... Everything the light touches... is either ours or full of delicious blood for the taking."

The hokage laughed softly as he always did when he said that line. The first time he had said it, Ketsu had laughed so hard that he had nearly fallen off the side of the tower only to be saved by his father. Now though, they merely shared the soft laugh. The two shared a lot of traits, most of them obvious. From the hair, to the shark teeth to the love of apples, to the blood drinking. But his other father, Akihiko, showed through just as much. Where Hibiki's hair was a dark crimson red throughout, Ketsu's blended into the orange blond of his other father, giving it a flame-like appearance. Ketsu's eyes were like one of Hibiki's, almost pure white throughout with the barest definition between pupil and iris. They gave him an unsettling gaze, considering how it was only himself and Hibiki who had this kind of eye.

Ketsu's fingers toyed with the apple in his hands, several bites having already been taken out of it, the odd shape of his teeth showing in the bites. That was something that neither of his dads showed - always toying with something in his hands. He turned it over several times, watching a single trail of sweet juice wrap around it before he took another bite. Chewing thoughtfully, he watched the sun rise.

"Hey dad... Who's going to be teaching me?"

"Well, it's not going to be me - that would be a conflict of interest. Not that I would go easy on you. No, you've got one of the Uchiha Jounin for an instructor. Tsuki I think. That should be good for you; they're an interesting family with their own special eyes and matching jutsu. You'll be in good hands, trust me. Of course, your dad and I will be here if you want some extra training, as will Uncle Masami, even if I have to wring his blood out to get him to. You can always talk to Grandma too, though... she does tend to get really, really, bossy when she's teaching and she's only gotten worse with age."

He looked behind them, as if his mother might be behind them listening in and ready to yell at the pair.

"Do you know who my team is?"

"Not a clue. I could find out though, the paperwork's somewhere in the office. Aki might know where exactly if he doesn't know who you're with already."

Ketsu looked up at the monument with the hokage's faces on it, his father's carved in at the far end, wearing the half-grin that showed just enough teeth to be worrisome. For Ketsu though, it was comforting, having grown up with those teeth over him his whole life.

"Have you given any thought to specializing in anything?"

"Too early for that, dad."

"Not really. It never hurts to have a plan ahead. I wanted to master Kenjutsu but that kinda fell to the wayside later on. You find these weird eyes on a mission and then find out what they are and one thing leads to another and now you have this crazy combination of shit where you can see the chakra and blood within someone and then shut both down if you want."

Ketsu looked up at his dad, an eyebrow raised in question. He understood the words his dad was saying but lacked most of the context for it. He shrugged and looked back at the sunrise.

"When is dad gonna wake up?"

"Oh, he's already awake, he's just recovering. After you went to bed, we-"

"I don't want to know why the floor was thumping dad."

"What? No, we were playing music."

"In the middle of the night?"

"Well, we had to cover the fact that I was using clones to-"

"DAD!"
Matsuri woke up early on in the day before going into her daily regiment of 500 kicks, 500 crunches, 500 punches, 500 sit ups, and 500 push-ups before going on her run around the entirety of the village. Once she finished she nodded to herself, a thick coat of sweat now caked onto her body as she traveled home. She took a quick shower and a break for 40 minutes before heading out to the training ground she was assigned to. After walking for a bit of time she had arrived. "Huh, looks like i'm the first to arrive. Well, that's the POWER OF YOUTH! for ya!" She shouted enthusiastically before she began practicing her punches on a tree, waiting for the others to arrive.

Rokki Uchiha
"Oh quit being a baby you!" Were the words thrown out as a bright-haired youth was slowly pushing along one of his size, but with hair of a more darker red.

"Rokki are you sure it's okay? What if my sensei isn't like yours, and he's a mean person? What if we never see each other again? Oh gods what if his exam kills me by accident!?" The worrying soul went rather pale at his last notion, but the boy behind him simply gave him a slap on the back.

"You worry to much idiot. Now you'll be fine and i'll meet you outside like always. So just focus on doing your best, and not bringing shame to the name of being my friend Kiseki." He said this while holding a air of confidence that seemed to calm down the other lad quite considerably. With a gulp and nod the boy went his seperate way towards his own training ground where he was to gather at. Rokki turned around with a small smile as he marched off towards his training grounds as cool, collected, and confidant as he always was. Why should one so great as he be nervous about something so trivial as meeting his new sensei. He graduated near the top of his class, and stands as one of the most promising shinobi(in his mind) to be in this rising era of his generation. So why be nervous?

It took him a short order of time to approach his supposed meeting place...and face palmed seeing just who he would be partnered with. Matsuri, the hot-blooded youth, while very pretty could be overly zealous about her training exercises. He doesn't have a single memory of her being around him and not smelling like sweat. Deciding to take a seat upon a small rock, Rokki watched her punch away at the tree as his mind drifted over to his friend. "I hope that idiot will be alright on his own. *sigh* If only I had been allowed to be placed with him my nerves would be better." Alas he realized there was nothing he could do, but wait and see the results and focus on his own task ahead.

Shunsui Hyuuga

Shunsui awoke with a start, looking over at his clock, narrowing his eyes at the terribly annoying sound coming from it. With a firm slap, the clock hit the ground and stopped shaking and ringing. A groan escaped his lips as he climbed out of his bed, the thin layer of clothing he had on was clinging to his body. Apparently, he'd been having night sweats, due to his nervousness about the start of his shinobi career. After a quick shower, he dressed into his usual attire, nice and comfortable, while still practical. He made his way to the training grounds, where he was expected to meet up with his new team and his senses. Shunsui was beyond unsure about how this would go. It didn't take him long to arrive. The young man immediately noticed the two individuals whom were already there. The Energetic girl punching the tree and the boy who was just standing around waiting. He didn't really recognize him, but, figured him for the other teammate.

Shunsui walked over to the girl punching the tree. He had to admire her determination and tenacity. That tree was getting pounced.

"Hey there. I'm Shunsui. Did that tree insult your lifestyle or something?"

Father and son continued their morning conversation with Ketsu learning that his father still had no sense of shame or embarrassment in what he said. As it wore on, Konohagakure became increasingly busy as others woke up and began their days. It wasn't long before Hibiki stood up and stretched, his hair rustling in the wind.

"Alright, I've got a team to teach and I believe that you have a jounin waiting on you. I'll see you tonight for dinner since I fully expect to put these kids though their paces. But one of them might surprise me. Your Aunt Kumiko was definitely a surprise when she showed up. Then again, you know what Kumi can do."

He ruffled Ketsu's hair.

"Now, you go meet your sensei and if I hear that you skipped, I won't play music next time."

"DAD!"

"You're right; that's too lenient. I'll talk with Aki and figure out something fitting. Now go."

Still smiling, he vanished, heading off for the training grounds. Rather than appearing obviously, he took up a position in a nearby tree and watched the genin arrive. One was loud, another aloof, the last out of place. Nothing really extraordinary about any of them as far as he could tell from a cursory look. He let them do what they did for a minute or two more, silently laughing at the awkwardness there, before he appeared in a swirl of crimson hair between them all.

"Oh good, you're all here. Now I don't have to hunt you down. Or maybe that would have been a fun way to get the blood pumping. Though by the sound of it, I think I already did. So then, important questions: who are each of you, why are you here, and most importantly, how does your blood taste?"

At the end of the speech, he grinned the same shark's tooth grin that so many found unnerving, that Akihiko found sexy as hell, and Ketsu found to be extremely comforting.

With a grunt and a final punch, Matsuri impaled her fist into the tree, as she had been punching at it for quite a while by the time everyone else had arrived so the spot she had been punching was pretty worn down at this point. With another grunt she pulled out her fist, a light sheen of sweet covering her body but she wasn't tired at all, in fact if she had to describe it, she felt even more youthful then before! With a bright smile that most would have swore had 'pinged' with the sunlight she turned around and greeted everyone before her. "YOSH! Hello everyone, it's a great morning isn't it!" She shouted aloud with a grin before turning to shunsui and smiling at him even brighter then before. "Sadly no, this tree did nothing to my family, but i did use it for practicing my punches!" With another bright grin she turned to her sensei before going into a 'good girl pose' as most called it, her hand jutting out with disturbing speed as she gave a thumbs up and a bright smile that, again, many would have sworn 'pinged' with the sunlight. "YOSH I'LL GO FIRST SENSEI! My name is Matsuri, the latest and greatest in Taijutsu! I'm here because i want to become the greatest Taijutsu practitioner just like my old master was before he left me his teachings! And i imagine my blood tastes like THE FLAMES OF YOUTH THAT COURSES THROUGH MY VEINS!" Matsuri finished with a shout as her eyes became literally aflame with the FLAMES OF YOUTH! Before she settled down and allowed others to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.