Mysteries of Membuka (OOC)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're human-looking but they're different because they have magic and extended lifespans. Humans can learn magic but that doesn't make them a witch or a wizard.

Got'cha. Didn't realize humans could learn anything since they're described as non-magical.

Well, I guess that leads me to another question then. What's our limits on what a normal human can do/can learn/etc.?

That really just depends on the human. It would have to be basic stuff that doesn't involve actual magic - things that involve mixing potions, performing rituals, or reading incantations, for example. Obviously they can't shoot blasts from their hands or have healing powers emanate from them into another person or perform miracles, but they can do simple things that require an irritating amount of work following spellbooks and whatnot.

Not a problem :D

Hey hey, so I was looking over everything and got to reading The Darklands. I saw this as a job option / place:

The Slayers' Guild (unlocked by visiting either the Crypt or the Werewolf Cave)
Located deep within the woods, this place is home to legions of slayers tasked with the job of destroying and eliminating undead beings and monsters. If you wish, you can join their ranks.
Vampire Slayer - 75g weekly.
Werewolf Slayer - 75g weekly.
Demon Slayer - 75g weekly.

Comparing it to other jobs this one sure pays much less for a very risky employment. For example a bartender gets 100 gold per week and a guard gets 100 gold weekly as well. Guards are not guaranteed to find danger and certainly do not go looking for it. As a slayer you must really like your job to take so little money to seek out and destroy dangerous creatures. I just wanted to point this out. It just struck me as odd is all~

--------------

Also I have a question about part of rule #14 " You must spend a minimum of 10 gold on all purchases and you cannot obtain new items without buying them first."

Is this in regards to -all- purchases. For example, buying a single beer at the tavern, a single flower from a street merchant, or a single cookie from the bakery. Also for each purchase, does that mean i could buy 10 days worth of groceries on 10 gold or is it each item would cost 10 gold? Is it not per item but i must buy enough things -every- time i make a purchase so that it comes out to 10 gold or more (because that limits role-play).

--------------

My character would have starting items based on his background. Things such as a sword, instrument, clothes, and various traveling supplies. Should I post how much I think it costs with character creation and have it taken out of my starting gold?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for reading :]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for bringing the salary discrepancy to our attention. I'm sure Lala will fix that once she is made aware.

As for the "10 gold minimum purchase price" rule...well, I agree it is confusing, however it has generally been understood to mean that each separate post with a purchase (or multiple purchases) must cost you at least ten gold. So that is to say that I could make a post where my character buys one thing and it costs them 12 gold or they could have a post where they buy five things and it costs the same amount overall. Every purchase price should sound reasonable, though. Out of all the rules, the "10 gold purchase" rule is the most open to interpretation. Also, if you and another player's characters are making a purchase together, that purchase will only cost you a minimum of 5 gold coins since you split the price.

Your character can start with as many personal items as you so wish. They will also be starting with a house and 100 gold. There is no need to take out money for items your character begins the game with.

Hope I was able to help!

Thanks a lot, you did help~ I am writing up a character right now :P

I could have sworn the rule was 5 gold, lol. Goes to show how well I know my own rules.

*slow clap*
Way to go, Lala
You could tell that was sarcasm, right?
lol

:ashamed: I could tell by the slow clap

Hey hey, so I was looking over everything and got to reading The Darklands. I saw this as a job option / place:

The Slayers' Guild (unlocked by visiting either the Crypt or the Werewolf Cave)
Located deep within the woods, this place is home to legions of slayers tasked with the job of destroying and eliminating undead beings and monsters. If you wish, you can join their ranks.
Vampire Slayer - 75g weekly.
Werewolf Slayer - 75g weekly.
Demon Slayer - 75g weekly.

Comparing it to other jobs this one sure pays much less for a very risky employment. For example a bartender gets 100 gold per week and a guard gets 100 gold weekly as well. Guards are not guaranteed to find danger and certainly do not go looking for it. As a slayer you must really like your job to take so little money to seek out and destroy dangerous creatures. I just wanted to point this out. It just struck me as odd is all~
You, my dear, evidently haven't ever watched Supernatural, lol. Not that I'm basing anything off of it or there's anything wrong with that, just amusing is all.

Slayers aren't really very in-demand, mostly because few people know of the existence of monsters - ie. the villagers - and those who do either don't want them slain - ie. other monsters - or just assume that there are slayers doing their jobs - ie. the rest of the magical population. Who is paying the slayers to do this job? The Slayers' Guild isn't an organization, it's just sort of like an inn/tavern/meeting place where they can get a bed for the night, eat some food, and seek out information or new monster sightings to pursue. This gives a good option to fighter characters or characters who seek out danger, and I added a paycheque - albeit a lower one - despite not being sure who is going to pay them to do this job.

That is a fine explanation, however it is not stated anywhere that monsters are not a common occurrence (or that they just hide themselves well). In fact giving us the option to play them eventually and developing a job around them makes someone think otherwise.

I would add to the Slayers' Guild description so that it reflects more of what you are going for in terms of slayers. Something that mentions the fact that this is more of a 'group' rather than a real guild, more disorganized in nature. It could easily be funded by one wealthier individual that has a hatred of such creatures that simply gives a reward for a slay no matter what you kill (vampire, werewolf, or demon). Perhaps they will only pay for one body a week, there in lies the weekly paycheck.

With all the information put together, it is hard to gather that monsters are not common in your world. To avoid further confusion you may just want to add hints of that or simply state it somewhere so that others know. Thanks for explaining though!

Um... I want to join, but this seems confusing, with all the quests and stuff. Can someone explain?

It's actually quite simple! You make a character and you start out in your home, and from there you can enter the streets of town, which will unlock the ability to then go to the town square or the tavern. From there, you can go to either of those places, or make a post that fits the requirements for one of the other locations, and once you have completed the task required to unlock a location, you can visit that location and RP to your heart's content.

That is confusing... So... I would just be setting off on my own Rp? Making it myself?

You can do whatever you want as long as you are only visiting places you have unlocked so far :) But there is no plot. You do whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.