MISC #1 Voting Thread: A Brush With Death

Which entry do you like the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first saw I was in the lead in the beginning, I was certain it would change quickly.

Today, when I saw it closed in a tie between me and @Verite , I was slightly unsure of what to think, because I certainly did not enter expecting to win. Still unsure of what to think, but I suppose I do have a couple little things to say.

First, thanks for everyone who entered and voted, regardless of who you voted to. All of the entries were interesting to read in their own way, and I personally found myself reading several again and again throughout the week, even yesterday during my break at work. And big thanks to everyone who had gone over all the entries and read each and every one in order to decide which one they found most appealing to them, with all this coming from a fellow contester/voter.

As for saying about me winning in a tie... I have nothing to say big about my own work. I did what I enjoy, and I'm glad to see people managed to see the feelings I wanted them to see.
Now, @Verite 's "Human" was a very well done work in my eyes, and I'm honestly happy that I did not end up being in first place on my own.

Pretty sure that's all I have to say. It was a good, enjoyable contest, and hope it will be the same in every future MISC contest!

Okay, now that voting is closed and winners are announced, time for my reviews. :D

These little reviews of mine are going to be brief notes on the things that stood out to me, both positive and negative, about each entry. There were plenty of good and bad things in entries that I did not mention; these are just the things that made the strongest impression on me as I was reading. The negative sections will probably all look larger than the positives, but that's mainly because I'm aiming to offer constructive feedback on those issues, not because I hate everything. Feel free to ask (preferably via PM to reduce thread clutter) if you'd like me to clarify or expand on anything.

Dead Land
Positives: Decent hook, makes the reader want to continue to figure out what is going on. The sass and dry humor in some of the dialogue was entertaining.

Negatives: There's no real follow through on the hook, not much in the way of a plot; there's no real conflict or personal growth or anything, this is just a random weird day in the life of a guy we have no reason to care about. Explicitly saying that the character would not remember any of this made it feel like an irrelevant side bit in a larger story. The only way to fix that would be to drastically alter the story to include some kind of obstacle being overcome or goal being achieved or change being made.

We'll Cast Some Light and You'll Be Alright For Now
Positives: The childlike interpretations of some things ("Are caskets big shoe boxes you bury people in?") were both amusing and sad, good bits to make readers connect with the girl. Good use of descriptive language.

Negatives: I see what you were going for here, a purely emotional story in lieu of a more active plot, but unfortunately it fell flat for me. There wasn't much effective escalation of the sadness throughout the piece; you physically described Malka as growing more distraught, but I would have like to see you give visceral descriptions of how she felt to really drive it home and make it hurt.

I'm a Present!
Positives: You did a good job with the build up of emotions for the perspective character. Interspersing the quotes from the dead child was a good choice, definitely helped to make the emotion-building thing work.

Negatives: That ending, just... I'm gonna be honest, I laughed the first time I read it. It's just so absurdly goofy. I couldn't help but imagine a kid in a cardboard box in the middle of the road just kind of flailing around to get his brother's attention. This basically killed the climax of the emotional build up you had going, but that may just be a personal thing for me because I have a really morbid sense of humor sometimes. Judging by the number of votes this entry received, it probably was just me being an asshole, haha.

Entry #4
Positives: Initially I was irritated with all the talk with friends about the date, but it ended up working for me because it made me care a little more about what happened to Vincent and it helped make it feel like it was just going to be an ordinary night for the guy; after the accident I felt kinda bad for him because I knew his friends and parents were all off elsewhere and couldn't be there for him at the hospital. You gave some foreshadowing to the car accident, but even so it managed to feel like it came out of nowhere, like this was just a story about a nervous guy and a budding romance and the death was a sudden and unexpected twist, and I enjoyed that.

Negatives: There were a lot of odd phrasing choices and you used the word "would" excessively and unnecessarily in a way that changed the verb tense you were using. You used the past tense for most things, then had things like "Exiting his home, he would lock the doors behind him." You should have just gone with the simple past tense verb form in probably every instance you used "would <present tense verb>" things because you were stating things he did do, not things he would do at some point in the future.

Child's Best Friend
Positives: The child logic was pretty great, especially Ivy deciding she needed milk because she'd woken up in the night. It was a really cute little story even though it was about a weird little kid accidentally creating an unnatural abomination. It was a pretty quick read, but there was still a good bit of character development and a complete plot so it didn't feel like it was rushed or lacking anything.

Negatives: The dog died the night before, but it was all rotting and had bones poking out? That is not a normal rate of decay, my friend. Could have been excused as a side effect of the necromancy, but there was no mention of that in the story so I think this was either a mistake in when the dog was supposed to have died or in the author's understanding of how quickly dead things decay.

Repentance
Positives: You get points for originality for submitting a piece in script-like format; it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I think you used the format well to focus attention on David's monologue rather than the setting and such, though that would have been even better with fewer emotional and physical cues present. You did a good job of putting emotion into the dialogue with stutters and such, so quite a few of those emotional cues actually could have been removed without losing anything.

Negatives: The ending fell flat. You had this whole emotional thing with this guy beating himself up for fucking everything up, he tries to kill himself, and then.. he wakes up with his mistress by his side and thanks his dead wife? Eh, feels like you needed some more stuff to happen to give a conclusion of some sort. Probably sounds callous, but it would have been better if you'd cast this story as a first encounter with death (say he'd never lost anyone close to him before that car crash, never saw a dead body before having to identify his son) and had the dude die in the end, because then it would have felt like some morbid justice to end the story. Your story currently feels like it ends with the bad guy getting away with it, basically, and that's hard to pull off in a satisfying way.

Brush, With Death...
Positives: I was amused by the literal interpretation of the theme name, as well as of the prompt itself. Points for thinking outside of the box there.

Negatives: You used ellipses (...) far too frequently. They can slow the pace of your story down to a glacial crawl or make it feel clunky if you have so many drawn out pauses indicated by ellipses. You can switch them out for speech statements like "he said, then hesitated for a moment" to have that same effect without slowing the reading pace.

The Death of a Relationship
Positives: I liked the interpretation of the prompt, with the main character not being the one who fulfills the criteria but rather witnesses someone else doing so. The little twist at the end wasn't a surprise to me, but it wrapped things up nicely.

Negatives: Cassidy isn't really a likeable character, which may have been your intent, but it left me with the uncomfortable feeling that he's going to manipulate the hell out of Elena after this to keep her within his influence. It felt like he viewed her more as a possession than a friend. Having a more or less evil protagonist is fine, but it felt a little off for a story about a guy coming to the aid of an estranged friend.

Encounter with Life
Positives: You had a neat take on the prompt, emphasizing experiencing death for the first time rather than simply seeing it happen for the first time.

Negatives: There were some lines of dialogue from different characters in the same paragraph, which is generally a bad thing as it can cause confusion. Also whenever said dialogue didn't end in a question mark there was no punctuation at all, which was jarring and weird. These issues don't detract from the story itself, but they do kill immersion by making the reader pause and notice the problem.

By the Riverside
Positives: There are a ton of different themes and types of conflicts weaved together here from the very start, and they work together well to paint the picture of a dystopian future. Using factually incorrect but thematically fitting words to describe the crusader dudes (like calling their bikes horses, and calling a weapon a dirk despite it probably being a gun) was jarring, but it worked to make them feel kind of monstrous and alien.

Negatives: You front-loaded a looooooooot of exposition before anything of plot significance happened, and that made the early parts drag on; showing rather than telling about a lot of that stuff, say during the bike ride, would have made it feel less heavy-handed. You used a lot of varied and layered descriptions for a single thing or person, and it didn't always pan out well; it was great for the crusader guys, but it felt really clunky when you were describing Iseul breaking down after shooting the guy, for example.

Last Stand
Positives: This story was rather well written from a technical standpoint; the only technical errors I spotted were a couple tense choice issues. You used description of the physical effects of emotion to show it rather than say it bluntly, and you did it well.

Negatives: There wasn't really enough shown to explain why this guard, after so long of seeing prisoner after prisoner go through his prison, suddenly formed some kind of connection with this one guy. This might have been okay if it was a suicidal action that would have changed something, but since it was a futile gesture and he knew it I would have liked to see more justification for it.

Double Date
Positives: Telling the story through a character narrating the events was a great choice; it kept the pacing smooth and let you inject a lot of the narrator's personality into the tale. You also did a good job of showing her emotions with her actions, and that helped a lot to make the story being told feel more personal and real.

Negatives: If I had to guess the character's age based on the way she spoke, I would say 17 or 18 rather than barely out of childhood as she's described. She just seemed to speak with more sophistication than a young girl raised in shitty conditions should have done.

Entry #13
Positives: Going through the explanation of the humdrum normal day in the life of the character was a good way to give readers ways to relate and build a connection. You did a fine job of showing how not everyone can really cope with death and ends up doing less than healthy things to get by.

Negatives: It felt obvious from early on that the husband was going to die, so there was no real emotional buildup to the reveal, which was kind of unfortunate since the entire story revolves around the perspective character trying to deal with the death. This could have been avoided if her eldest son did not show up at home, because then you could have had her freaking out with worry about which one of them had gotten into an accident.

A Death and a Birth
Positives: This was an interesting choice for how to fulfill the prompt, with the brush with death coming in pitched army to army combat rather than a more intimate scenario as others chose to do. You had some interesting bits and pieces of worldbuilding throughout, enough to make it feel like a grimdark crapsack of a world, which worked just fine for the story you wanted to tell.

Negatives: This was a frustrating read for me. Basically what it all comes down to is that, even for this being a clearly fantasy world, the things Ann did were just totally unbelievable because her skills and abilities were never explained. She was supposedly just some orphan girl, but she did things that defied all logic. Most of the obstacles set before her felt weakened by the way that she just pushed through them without any explanation of how she was able to so matter-of-factly defy logic and the expectations of others in the world around (thus showing that this was absolutely some abnormal shit going on), which made those obstacles feel meaningless and her victories unsatisfying, and then the obstacle that finally seemed to take her down a peg was in fact just a jumping board to greater achievements. I must regretfully inform you that you've written a Mary Sue character and your story suffered for it. In the future remember that any skills or abilities that are beyond the normal expected capabilities of a given character (such as an orphan girl somehow being the most badass warrior alive) must be explained in some way or the obstacles and struggles experiences by that character will feel shallow and unfulfilling because they were basically blown away by deus ex machina for all the reader can see.

Death Seeker
Positives: There was a lot of personality injected into the writing, which is always a good way to make readers connect with the perspective character. Also, death as a cheerful punk chick was a fun diversion from the norm.

Negatives: The pop culture references felt very out of place. The Van Helsing one alone I could have forgiven, but a lady named Katniss who is a pro with a bow? >_>

A Viking Hero
Positives: That was a very odd take on the prompt, but I think it worked out well. Most of the other entries have been rather dark even if they end on positive notes, but yours was a nice change of pace.

Negatives: Speaking of pace, your story had a very slow one. It felt like it was dragging its feet to get where you wanted it to go, and you could have cut out a lot of the tedious details of the travel and such to make it smoother.

Brush of Death
Positives: Aha, another literal interpretation of "brush" in the phrase, nicely done. The whole concept of someone dying and becoming a reaper is not new or unique, but it's a fun one and you put your own unique twist on it while using it to fulfill the prompt requirement in neat way.

Negatives: The short scenes of worsening depression at the beginning felt kind of disjointed and choppy to read, might've been better to just go with a shock opening of the guy jumping to his death and having some sort of "life flashing before his eyes" type moment to give those details. After that the story flipped to the opposite problem of feeling too drawn out, too much time spent with people explaining how the afterlife worked and the main character agonizing about killing people despite having been told repeatedly that he's not actually killing anyone.

Life, for a Life; Soul, for a Soul
Positives: Your use of the prompt, with the body dying but the soul living on in another form, was a unique twist; I did recognize this concept from a certain roleplay character of yours, but I didn't catch on to it until very near the end, so kudos for that. Also, this entry was very sound on a technical level, such that I only spotted one minor typo.

Negatives: There's not quite enough detail given about the characters, the culture they're a part of, or the world for the true impact of the body swap to be well understood. Inferences can be made that this is a taboo, last resort effort, but that didn't really come across well in what was actually presented in the story, which weakened the end a bit. A little more information about the world, particularly about the woman who comes and saves him, would have been welcome.

Human
Positives: I really enjoyed your take on the prompt, with the near death event being a suicidal precursor to the story you wanted to tell rather than a climactic moment in it. The main character was rather pessimistic and depressing, but even so I had some sympathy for him and his views; that's not an easy feat since most characters with similar traits end up being irritating edgelords.

Negatives: The entry was framed as taking a peek into someone's thoughts, but there were large parts of if that felt like he was talking TO someone, perhaps the reader, rather than thinking things to himself; this isn't a massive problem, but it could have been solved by either reworking some of those paragraphs and sentences to fix the concept better in tone, or by reshaping the entry as this guy ranting at a therapist. The ending was odd and felt a little rushed, could've done with a more detailed explanation of how and why the mother's words managed to shake up his thoughts.

Isolation
Positives: The tons of details given about Abby to paint a picture of her life and interests was a good way to get readers to connect with and care about her on some level, thus forming a sympathetic connection with Tyler and his grief as well.

Negatives: It felt like there really wasn't anything going on, not much in the way of a plot. Tyler starts off feeling like he's grieving alone, ends up grieving with his mother. There was no struggle, no goal accomplished, etc. You didn't tell much of a story, you just showcased a period of time in a grieving dude's life.

Relic
Poetry is a real pain in the ass to review, so I'm going to discard the simple format I've been using. You've got to know something about poetry to give anything like a good review of it from a technical standpoint, doubly so if it's a freeform poem like this one, and I am not all that well versed in poetry but I can give you my thoughts anyway. This poem did not hit the mark for me. It didn't flow very well thanks to the jarring choices for line breaks and placement of dashes and it didn't make much interesting use of symbolism or metaphor (though I did like the bit about the brush as "a relic, a prize of loss"). You did manage to fulfill the prompt and tell a story in rather few words though, and that's a good thing. The best advice I can give you is that unless you have good reason to make the process of reading the poem kind of unpleasant then you should avoid those seemingly random line breaks and the ill-placed dashes.

Copper Black
Positives: Fight scenes are not easy to write in a way that is both descriptive enough for the reader to have a good idea of what's going on and not boring and dry. I think you managed that here, and you made some great use of descriptive language to give it a rather visceral and emotional depth as well. I also quite enjoyed the way that you gave indications of what the world was like with bits and pieces here and there rather than blunt exposition; the story ended up feeling like a little vignette from a larger story, and it was done in a way that did not feel like I was missing anything vital by being dropped into the middle of it.

Negatives: The ending felt a little too ambiguous. I'm assuming Sera lived thanks to whoever the blond person is, and leaving that as just an implication is fine, but said blond person was a total mystery and that shouldn't have been the case. If they had been shown or mentioned even briefly beforehand it would have felt a lot better. Aside from that the only flaw that stood out was that you were a little too heavy on the description in some places, but not enough to detract from the high points of the entry.

Descending Raven
Positive: There was a lot of solid use of descriptive language and metaphors throughout the entry; I particularly enjoyed death framed as a "dark courtesan of finality". You also threw in tons of worldbuilding bits that gave a good idea of what the post-apoc world was like, even though we only saw a tiny fragment of it. I ended up actually giving a shit about what happened to Cross, which is obviously a good thing for a story centered around the guy being in a predicament.

Negative: The worldbuilding info dropping was a little dense in a couple places near the beginning (the paragraph that first names the princess and queen, and the one starting off explaining the Confederacy of the Scepter of Judah); spacing that stuff out a little more, and giving it in a less directly expository fashion, would have smoothed out those two bumps in the pacing. The ending of the king who had been captured just.. showing up and saving the guy didn't feel great, felt almost like a deus ex machina. It wasn't a bad ending, it just needed a couple more bits of information about how the king got there from being a captive to feel complete.

She is Pale and Drooping no more
Positives: The characters were a really believable father and son pair, and the kid did indeed seem like a child (aside from his apparently understanding of death at such a young age). Putting most of the dialogue in quick back and forth segments without the need for anything to indicate the speaker and no actions and whatnot mixed in there was a good idea, kept the dialogue feeling quick and natural.

Negatives: The use of only "man" and "boy" to refer to the characters was a little odd and it got to feeling pretty repetitive, which could have easily been avoided by giving them names and using other pronouns sometimes. There was no real sense of plot progress, just a day in the life of this father and son, partly because the kid already seemed to be totally on board with the idea of death; had it ended with him coming to some realization about it then it might have felt more like a fulfilled plot than a sort of aimless slice of life.

A Coward Does It With A Kiss
Positives: That was a very strong hook, definitely snagged my interest. The tone and personality present in the narrator's voice then kept hold of that interest, and it played a major part in keeping my attention throughout the long read. Oh, and there were some not-so-classy but definitely great metaphors thrown in there that tickled my fancy (particularly "The air was turning crisp, with winter trying to slither its fingers up autumn's skirts and failing").

Negatives: The dialogue wasn't great. A large part of that was probably because you chose to use capslock as all-purpose emphasis rather than employing italicized text or more descriptions of vocal tones or body language to get the emphasis across instead of using text formatting, which are things I would highly suggest you make use of in the future. The ending didn't quite come together for me, mainly because it didn't quite link up with that violent fight the entry started with and also didn't give any clear conclusion to that fight.

Last Stand
Positives: This story was rather well written from a technical standpoint; the only technical errors I spotted were a couple tense choice issues. You used description of the physical effects of emotion to show it rather than say it bluntly, and you did it well.

Negatives: There wasn't really enough shown to explain why this guard, after so long of seeing prisoner after prisoner go through his prison, suddenly formed some kind of connection with this one guy. This might have been okay if it was a suicidal action that would have changed something, but since it was a futile gesture and he knew it I would have liked to see more justification for it.
Thanks for the review! The negative part is on point and I agree with it completely. I probably could have expanded better on it, maybe pausing in the narration for a (dreaded) flashback or just the guard's memories. I'll be keeping this in mind.

Also, @HerziQuerzi - I actually agree with your review as well, but I couldn't exactly respond to it then. To be honest, I had been very iffy about adding in the last line of my story. It felt a wee bit forced, but I kept it anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jorick
Hi, true confessions:

(1) I'm honored (and surprised) to be mentioned! Thank you!

(2) The title "A Coward Does It With A Kiss" is lifted from an Oscar Wilde ("Nothing succeeds likes excess") poem, part of which reads:

"And all men kill the thing they love,
By all let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!"

- The Ballad of Reading Gaol

(3) In the voting stage it was @HerziQuerzi with their entry "Copper Black" that I was referring to when I mentioned a very good writer (professional level, I believe were my words, or something like that). Although their writing had my respect, it was another that got my ultimate love. XD And there were many other good writers.

(4) Thank you for your critiques, peeps. Stories that leave me hanging and don't resolve themselves, drive me crazy as I try to find the ending in my own imagination. At the same time, I kind of enjoy the torment ... It was impish of me, but I didn't resist the impulse, as I was just writing for fun (and perhaps that was the wrong attitude for this contest). Didn't mean to make anyone aggravated, I promise.

(5) Lastly I sincerely apologize for the length of my story. I didn't see the initial contest thread for some time. I wrote quickly and was still editing it (including ruthlessly slashing it) after I PM'd it until I was sure I would pooch the deadline and I made myself take my hands off the keyboard.

I was just writing for fun (and perhaps that was the wrong attitude for this contest). Didn't mean to make anyone aggravated, I promise.
Haha, no, that's perfectly fine! There's no need for major competitiveness here, and in fact I'd prefer everyone enter for fun rather than lust for accolades. :D

Soq2Auo.png

I did recognize this concept from a certain roleplay character of yours
I knew it #exposed

A Viking Hero
Positives: That was a very odd take on the prompt, but I think it worked out well. Most of the other entries have been rather dark even if they end on positive notes, but yours was a nice change of pace.

Negatives: Speaking of pace, your story had a very slow one. It felt like it was dragging its feet to get where you wanted it to go, and you could have cut out a lot of the tedious details of the travel and such to make it smoother.
Thanks @Jorick for reviewing. The negative part is very, very true. Also thanks @HerziQuerzi for the review.

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for my story despite it being very rushed and having pacing issues. I know it was quite an unconvential take on the prompt, but I actually thought of it when walking through the National Museum of Ireland. Finding skeletons in a museum always weirds me out because of the implications it has. That was an actual person at some point that people are now just gawking at. I wanted to attempt to capture that feeling.

I myself voted for Entry 13, because I felt like it really captured some strong emotions and conveyed them very well to the reader. I was touched when reading it and that made it the story that stood out.

Oh and last but not least, congrats to the winners!

Congrats to thje winners, first and foremost! In the Navy, we said 'Bravo Zulu' or BZ for a job well done... so

BZ

to you guys!

Another BZ to the judges for what was clearly a lot of work in moderating and making a tough choice.

... and now for some concerns I have.

Jorick's critique is very useful to me, because it helps me work better in short fiction like this. I confess that some of what happened in Descending Raven was my concern over making the piece too lengthy. I'm better suited to novels than I am to short fiction, which kind of showed. HerziQuerzi, while you have valid points that are useful to me... you need to ease off a little and be less abrasive in the way you give critique. I have skin like a rhino after writing for so many years, but the way you did your critiques might be slightly off-putting to writers newer than you and me. Lift up and educate rather than punching down, because we want to see a budding writer really find their stride and create some good stuff!

My other worry is something that I suspect will fix itself the more of these get done, and that was that it felt like there just weren't enough people voting. We had lots of entries, but could have done with a larger panel of voters. Ah well; nothing that a little bit of promo won't fix, right?

And finally, a rules clarification. I actually cost myself at least three votes because friends of mine guessed that Descending Raven was mine because of the subject matter. Should I steer away from writing in worlds that people that know me might identify? I told them specifically not to vote for me just because it was me. I felt that wasn't fair.

Child's Best Friend
Positives: The child logic was pretty great, especially Ivy deciding she needed milk because she'd woken up in the night. It was a really cute little story even though it was about a weird little kid accidentally creating an unnatural abomination. It was a pretty quick read, but there was still a good bit of character development and a complete plot so it didn't feel like it was rushed or lacking anything.

Negatives: The dog died the night before, but it was all rotting and had bones poking out? That is not a normal rate of decay, my friend. Could have been excused as a side effect of the necromancy, but there was no mention of that in the story so I think this was either a mistake in when the dog was supposed to have died or in the author's understanding of how quickly dead things decay.
Alright, first, thanks for the critique! Clearly, this is my entry. (It would be really weird to highlight some random entry and pretend that it's mine.) I'm glad the child logic came through clearly for you, since that was one of the parts that I worried over when writing it. (Having never been a typical child, I wasn't sure how their minds worked.)

As for the negative comments, I would have to say that it's a little of both. I honestly don't know how fast things decay at all (not even an estimate) so that definitely contributed. However, the date of the dog's death was fixed (it had to be during the last three days) simply because of the fact that I gave the dog such personality. (The soul leaves after that amount of time, unless it lingers for some reason - those souls tend to become vengeful spirits.) In light of these facts, I should definitely had added some confusion over that, and perhaps some hint of magic attributed to the advanced decay.

Thank you again! (Did I use too many parentheses? :P)

OKAY so i'm probably late as holy heck but now that i'm good to post something, all i'll say is

e0DCsF1.gif

YEAH I WON WOOOOOO

Ahem, no but seriously, thank you all so so much for your support. I'm not really good at sappy saying thanks or stuff like that, but yeah, I'm real grateful for all the votes and constructive feedback that I got, and here's to hoping that if I submit an entry for a future MISC, that it'll be better than the last!

Death Seeker
Positives: There was a lot of personality injected into the writing, which is always a good way to make readers connect with the perspective character. Also, death as a cheerful punk chick was a fun diversion from the norm.

Negatives: The pop culture references felt very out of place. The Van Helsing one alone I could have forgiven, but a lady named Katniss who is a pro with a bow? >_>
Rofl, I did this one as a tribute to my RP Clan and used the setting we've set up. That was the Katniss. I checked out the wiki we keep for tracking the lore and went for lesser-used PC's, among other things. Was done on a whim and for fun, though I enjoyed inserting all the little in-jokes for my own amusement.

That said, I voted for the Present story. All the stories were interesting, but that one caught my eye the most and I felt exemplified the idea well.​

Some slacking happened, but the MISC Hall of Fame thread now exists in the Showcasing subforum. All you winners, feel free to direct people there in the future for gloating purposes if you feel so inclined. :P

My other worry is something that I suspect will fix itself the more of these get done, and that was that it felt like there just weren't enough people voting. We had lots of entries, but could have done with a larger panel of voters. Ah well; nothing that a little bit of promo won't fix, right?

And finally, a rules clarification. I actually cost myself at least three votes because friends of mine guessed that Descending Raven was mine because of the subject matter. Should I steer away from writing in worlds that people that know me might identify? I told them specifically not to vote for me just because it was me. I felt that wasn't fair.
Yep, the hope is to get more votes in the future, if only to make things more lively. I'm thinking of a couple ways to help that, but we'll just have to wait and see how it goes in November.

As for writing in existing worlds, there will be some rule modifications to clear that up in the future. We're still hashing out exactly what we want to allow and disallow as far as using existing roleplay worlds, fandom works, and so on, but some rules about that will be present next time around. :)

As for writing in existing worlds, there will be some rule modifications to clear that up in the future. We're still hashing out exactly what we want to allow and disallow as far as using existing roleplay worlds, fandom works, and so on, but some rules about that will be present next time around. :)

Perfect! And that way, I don't have to make the agonizing choice between honor and victory! (Cue dramatic music and the wrist to the forehead deal!)

Okay, now that voting is closed and winners are announced, time for my reviews. :D

These little reviews of mine are going to be brief notes on the things that stood out to me, both positive and negative, about each entry. There were plenty of good and bad things in entries that I did not mention; these are just the things that made the strongest impression on me as I was reading. The negative sections will probably all look larger than the positives, but that's mainly because I'm aiming to offer constructive feedback on those issues, not because I hate everything. Feel free to ask (preferably via PM to reduce thread clutter) if you'd like me to clarify or expand on anything.

Dead Land
Positives: Decent hook, makes the reader want to continue to figure out what is going on. The sass and dry humor in some of the dialogue was entertaining.

Negatives: There's no real follow through on the hook, not much in the way of a plot; there's no real conflict or personal growth or anything, this is just a random weird day in the life of a guy we have no reason to care about. Explicitly saying that the character would not remember any of this made it feel like an irrelevant side bit in a larger story. The only way to fix that would be to drastically alter the story to include some kind of obstacle being overcome or goal being achieved or change being made.

We'll Cast Some Light and You'll Be Alright For Now
Positives: The childlike interpretations of some things ("Are caskets big shoe boxes you bury people in?") were both amusing and sad, good bits to make readers connect with the girl. Good use of descriptive language.

Negatives: I see what you were going for here, a purely emotional story in lieu of a more active plot, but unfortunately it fell flat for me. There wasn't much effective escalation of the sadness throughout the piece; you physically described Malka as growing more distraught, but I would have like to see you give visceral descriptions of how she felt to really drive it home and make it hurt.

I'm a Present!
Positives: You did a good job with the build up of emotions for the perspective character. Interspersing the quotes from the dead child was a good choice, definitely helped to make the emotion-building thing work.

Negatives: That ending, just... I'm gonna be honest, I laughed the first time I read it. It's just so absurdly goofy. I couldn't help but imagine a kid in a cardboard box in the middle of the road just kind of flailing around to get his brother's attention. This basically killed the climax of the emotional build up you had going, but that may just be a personal thing for me because I have a really morbid sense of humor sometimes. Judging by the number of votes this entry received, it probably was just me being an asshole, haha.

Entry #4
Positives: Initially I was irritated with all the talk with friends about the date, but it ended up working for me because it made me care a little more about what happened to Vincent and it helped make it feel like it was just going to be an ordinary night for the guy; after the accident I felt kinda bad for him because I knew his friends and parents were all off elsewhere and couldn't be there for him at the hospital. You gave some foreshadowing to the car accident, but even so it managed to feel like it came out of nowhere, like this was just a story about a nervous guy and a budding romance and the death was a sudden and unexpected twist, and I enjoyed that.

Negatives: There were a lot of odd phrasing choices and you used the word "would" excessively and unnecessarily in a way that changed the verb tense you were using. You used the past tense for most things, then had things like "Exiting his home, he would lock the doors behind him." You should have just gone with the simple past tense verb form in probably every instance you used "would <present tense verb>" things because you were stating things he did do, not things he would do at some point in the future.

Child's Best Friend

Repentance
Positives: You get points for originality for submitting a piece in script-like format; it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I think you used the format well to focus attention on David's monologue rather than the setting and such, though that would have been even better with fewer emotional and physical cues present. You did a good job of putting emotion into the dialogue with stutters and such, so quite a few of those emotional cues actually could have been removed without losing anything.

Negatives: The ending fell flat. You had this whole emotional thing with this guy beating himself up for fucking everything up, he tries to kill himself, and then.. he wakes up with his mistress by his side and thanks his dead wife? Eh, feels like you needed some more stuff to happen to give a conclusion of some sort. Probably sounds callous, but it would have been better if you'd cast this story as a first encounter with death (say he'd never lost anyone close to him before that car crash, never saw a dead body before having to identify his son) and had the dude die in the end, because then it would have felt like some morbid justice to end the story. Your story currently feels like it ends with the bad guy getting away with it, basically, and that's hard to pull off in a satisfying way.

Brush, With Death...
Positives: I was amused by the literal interpretation of the theme name, as well as of the prompt itself. Points for thinking outside of the box there.

Negatives: You used ellipses (...) far too frequently. They can slow the pace of your story down to a glacial crawl or make it feel clunky if you have so many drawn out pauses indicated by ellipses. You can switch them out for speech statements like "he said, then hesitated for a moment" to have that same effect without slowing the reading pace.

The Death of a Relationship
Positives: I liked the interpretation of the prompt, with the main character not being the one who fulfills the criteria but rather witnesses someone else doing so. The little twist at the end wasn't a surprise to me, but it wrapped things up nicely.

Negatives: Cassidy isn't really a likeable character, which may have been your intent, but it left me with the uncomfortable feeling that he's going to manipulate the hell out of Elena after this to keep her within his influence. It felt like he viewed her more as a possession than a friend. Having a more or less evil protagonist is fine, but it felt a little off for a story about a guy coming to the aid of an estranged friend.

Encounter with Life
Positives: You had a neat take on the prompt, emphasizing experiencing death for the first time rather than simply seeing it happen for the first time.

Negatives: There were some lines of dialogue from different characters in the same paragraph, which is generally a bad thing as it can cause confusion. Also whenever said dialogue didn't end in a question mark there was no punctuation at all, which was jarring and weird. These issues don't detract from the story itself, but they do kill immersion by making the reader pause and notice the problem.

By the Riverside
Positives: There are a ton of different themes and types of conflicts weaved together here from the very start, and they work together well to paint the picture of a dystopian future. Using factually incorrect but thematically fitting words to describe the crusader dudes (like calling their bikes horses, and calling a weapon a dirk despite it probably being a gun) was jarring, but it worked to make them feel kind of monstrous and alien.

Negatives: You front-loaded a looooooooot of exposition before anything of plot significance happened, and that made the early parts drag on; showing rather than telling about a lot of that stuff, say during the bike ride, would have made it feel less heavy-handed. You used a lot of varied and layered descriptions for a single thing or person, and it didn't always pan out well; it was great for the crusader guys, but it felt really clunky when you were describing Iseul breaking down after shooting the guy, for example.

Last Stand

Double Date
Positives: Telling the story through a character narrating the events was a great choice; it kept the pacing smooth and let you inject a lot of the narrator's personality into the tale. You also did a good job of showing her emotions with her actions, and that helped a lot to make the story being told feel more personal and real.

Negatives: If I had to guess the character's age based on the way she spoke, I would say 17 or 18 rather than barely out of childhood as she's described. She just seemed to speak with more sophistication than a young girl raised in shitty conditions should have done.

Entry #13
Positives: Going through the explanation of the humdrum normal day in the life of the character was a good way to give readers ways to relate and build a connection. You did a fine job of showing how not everyone can really cope with death and ends up doing less than healthy things to get by.

Negatives: It felt obvious from early on that the husband was going to die, so there was no real emotional buildup to the reveal, which was kind of unfortunate since the entire story revolves around the perspective character trying to deal with the death. This could have been avoided if her eldest son did not show up at home, because then you could have had her freaking out with worry about which one of them had gotten into an accident.

A Death and a Birth
Positives: This was an interesting choice for how to fulfill the prompt, with the brush with death coming in pitched army to army combat rather than a more intimate scenario as others chose to do. You had some interesting bits and pieces of worldbuilding throughout, enough to make it feel like a grimdark crapsack of a world, which worked just fine for the story you wanted to tell.

Negatives: This was a frustrating read for me. Basically what it all comes down to is that, even for this being a clearly fantasy world, the things Ann did were just totally unbelievable because her skills and abilities were never explained. She was supposedly just some orphan girl, but she did things that defied all logic. Most of the obstacles set before her felt weakened by the way that she just pushed through them without any explanation of how she was able to so matter-of-factly defy logic and the expectations of others in the world around (thus showing that this was absolutely some abnormal shit going on), which made those obstacles feel meaningless and her victories unsatisfying, and then the obstacle that finally seemed to take her down a peg was in fact just a jumping board to greater achievements. I must regretfully inform you that you've written a Mary Sue character and your story suffered for it. In the future remember that any skills or abilities that are beyond the normal expected capabilities of a given character (such as an orphan girl somehow being the most badass warrior alive) must be explained in some way or the obstacles and struggles experiences by that character will feel shallow and unfulfilling because they were basically blown away by deus ex machina for all the reader can see.

Death Seeker

A Viking Hero

Brush of Death
Positives: Aha, another literal interpretation of "brush" in the phrase, nicely done. The whole concept of someone dying and becoming a reaper is not new or unique, but it's a fun one and you put your own unique twist on it while using it to fulfill the prompt requirement in neat way.

Negatives: The short scenes of worsening depression at the beginning felt kind of disjointed and choppy to read, might've been better to just go with a shock opening of the guy jumping to his death and having some sort of "life flashing before his eyes" type moment to give those details. After that the story flipped to the opposite problem of feeling too drawn out, too much time spent with people explaining how the afterlife worked and the main character agonizing about killing people despite having been told repeatedly that he's not actually killing anyone.

Life, for a Life; Soul, for a Soul
Positives: Your use of the prompt, with the body dying but the soul living on in another form, was a unique twist; I did recognize this concept from a certain roleplay character of yours, but I didn't catch on to it until very near the end, so kudos for that. Also, this entry was very sound on a technical level, such that I only spotted one minor typo.

Negatives: There's not quite enough detail given about the characters, the culture they're a part of, or the world for the true impact of the body swap to be well understood. Inferences can be made that this is a taboo, last resort effort, but that didn't really come across well in what was actually presented in the story, which weakened the end a bit. A little more information about the world, particularly about the woman who comes and saves him, would have been welcome.

Human
Positives: I really enjoyed your take on the prompt, with the near death event being a suicidal precursor to the story you wanted to tell rather than a climactic moment in it. The main character was rather pessimistic and depressing, but even so I had some sympathy for him and his views; that's not an easy feat since most characters with similar traits end up being irritating edgelords.

Negatives: The entry was framed as taking a peek into someone's thoughts, but there were large parts of if that felt like he was talking TO someone, perhaps the reader, rather than thinking things to himself; this isn't a massive problem, but it could have been solved by either reworking some of those paragraphs and sentences to fix the concept better in tone, or by reshaping the entry as this guy ranting at a therapist. The ending was odd and felt a little rushed, could've done with a more detailed explanation of how and why the mother's words managed to shake up his thoughts.

Isolation
Positives: The tons of details given about Abby to paint a picture of her life and interests was a good way to get readers to connect with and care about her on some level, thus forming a sympathetic connection with Tyler and his grief as well.

Negatives: It felt like there really wasn't anything going on, not much in the way of a plot. Tyler starts off feeling like he's grieving alone, ends up grieving with his mother. There was no struggle, no goal accomplished, etc. You didn't tell much of a story, you just showcased a period of time in a grieving dude's life.

Relic
Poetry is a real pain in the ass to review, so I'm going to discard the simple format I've been using. You've got to know something about poetry to give anything like a good review of it from a technical standpoint, doubly so if it's a freeform poem like this one, and I am not all that well versed in poetry but I can give you my thoughts anyway. This poem did not hit the mark for me. It didn't flow very well thanks to the jarring choices for line breaks and placement of dashes and it didn't make much interesting use of symbolism or metaphor (though I did like the bit about the brush as "a relic, a prize of loss"). You did manage to fulfill the prompt and tell a story in rather few words though, and that's a good thing. The best advice I can give you is that unless you have good reason to make the process of reading the poem kind of unpleasant then you should avoid those seemingly random line breaks and the ill-placed dashes.

Copper Black
Positives: Fight scenes are not easy to write in a way that is both descriptive enough for the reader to have a good idea of what's going on and not boring and dry. I think you managed that here, and you made some great use of descriptive language to give it a rather visceral and emotional depth as well. I also quite enjoyed the way that you gave indications of what the world was like with bits and pieces here and there rather than blunt exposition; the story ended up feeling like a little vignette from a larger story, and it was done in a way that did not feel like I was missing anything vital by being dropped into the middle of it.

Negatives: The ending felt a little too ambiguous. I'm assuming Sera lived thanks to whoever the blond person is, and leaving that as just an implication is fine, but said blond person was a total mystery and that shouldn't have been the case. If they had been shown or mentioned even briefly beforehand it would have felt a lot better. Aside from that the only flaw that stood out was that you were a little too heavy on the description in some places, but not enough to detract from the high points of the entry.

Descending Raven
Positive: There was a lot of solid use of descriptive language and metaphors throughout the entry; I particularly enjoyed death framed as a "dark courtesan of finality". You also threw in tons of worldbuilding bits that gave a good idea of what the post-apoc world was like, even though we only saw a tiny fragment of it. I ended up actually giving a shit about what happened to Cross, which is obviously a good thing for a story centered around the guy being in a predicament.

Negative: The worldbuilding info dropping was a little dense in a couple places near the beginning (the paragraph that first names the princess and queen, and the one starting off explaining the Confederacy of the Scepter of Judah); spacing that stuff out a little more, and giving it in a less directly expository fashion, would have smoothed out those two bumps in the pacing. The ending of the king who had been captured just.. showing up and saving the guy didn't feel great, felt almost like a deus ex machina. It wasn't a bad ending, it just needed a couple more bits of information about how the king got there from being a captive to feel complete.

She is Pale and Drooping no more
Positives: The characters were a really believable father and son pair, and the kid did indeed seem like a child (aside from his apparently understanding of death at such a young age). Putting most of the dialogue in quick back and forth segments without the need for anything to indicate the speaker and no actions and whatnot mixed in there was a good idea, kept the dialogue feeling quick and natural.

Negatives: The use of only "man" and "boy" to refer to the characters was a little odd and it got to feeling pretty repetitive, which could have easily been avoided by giving them names and using other pronouns sometimes. There was no real sense of plot progress, just a day in the life of this father and son, partly because the kid already seemed to be totally on board with the idea of death; had it ended with him coming to some realization about it then it might have felt more like a fulfilled plot than a sort of aimless slice of life.

A Coward Does It With A Kiss
Positives: That was a very strong hook, definitely snagged my interest. The tone and personality present in the narrator's voice then kept hold of that interest, and it played a major part in keeping my attention throughout the long read. Oh, and there were some not-so-classy but definitely great metaphors thrown in there that tickled my fancy (particularly "The air was turning crisp, with winter trying to slither its fingers up autumn's skirts and failing").

Negatives: The dialogue wasn't great. A large part of that was probably because you chose to use capslock as all-purpose emphasis rather than employing italicized text or more descriptions of vocal tones or body language to get the emphasis across instead of using text formatting, which are things I would highly suggest you make use of in the future. The ending didn't quite come together for me, mainly because it didn't quite link up with that violent fight the entry started with and also didn't give any clear conclusion to that fight.
thanks for the review!

[warning]I hate giving critiques after winners have been announced, but seeing as I had already announced my attentions prior, I felt it only right to post them once I'd finished. Feel no obligation to read them, of course! I wouldn't want to sour anyone's victory, or rub salt in the wounds of the less fortunate.

I write my critiques independently of anything stated in the thread—so I repeat some of Jorick and my brother's points, but I do disagree on a few as well.[/warning]

Try not to let me discourage you—I consider myself a harsh critic, but ultimately I do want all of you to succeed. Also, I am something of a technical critic—expect lots of analysis of the text, and not quite so much about the plot. (This will also contribute to the variance in length between my writings on each entry.)

Letter grades are provided to give a sense of relative scaling, but are not objectively measured. A poor grade can just as well be caused by poor writing as it can be by a poorly constructed plot. The letter is, essentially, my review. All that accompanies it is my critique.

• C
    While the characterization of the so-called «shimmers» is effective—with Vivi, Artie, and Simon's personalities and roles being such that they can bounce exposition off of one another efficiently—the story overall is either too short or too happenstance to really hold its own. Still, the writing itself is decent and the setting interesting—it just needs more drive to satisfy the reader.

From a narrative standpoint, very little change occurs between the beginning and ending. Though we don't see any character development from Bayard anyways, any that he might have accrued is rendered redundant by the admission that he'll forget it all as soon as he reawakens. While exploring the nature of the setting itself might have been enough of a driving force for the entry, unfortunately there is little of that as well. A number of questions are asked, supplemented by many that the readers can supply for themselves. (Do they age after death? It would explain why Simon is coincidentally both oldest and most knowledgeable. Can they die, if they need food and water? Where does all the stuff come from? Why are there only seven, and why these seven?) And yet, no answers are given. Nor, in fact, does the setting give the impression that there are answers, as the shimmers themselves know next to nothing. (Beyond them merely stating as much, this can be seen in how the children react when they discover they can pass through him. What with how often this accidentally occurs during their walk to the camp, it seems odd they'd not realized any other time a brink-case popped up.)

Moving towards the technical side of things, as said above the writing is decent, but still bears room for improvement. In particular, on the subjects of paragraphs and verb tense.

When it comes to paragraphs, the most blatant mistake is the distribution of actions and dialogue between multiple subjects in the same paragraph. This often leads to confusion as to who each action is supposed to be attributed to. For example, while «"Hey, listen!"» appears to be one of the shimmers speaking, it is accompanied by an action that is definitely Bayard's. Because neither of the two halves are clearly assigned, the narration instead implies that both the speech and actions were from the same individual, and the following mumbling by a second character. (Later, «"The brink?" The apparition before him nodded.» is similarly in error, but by being specific with who the action belongs to, it is less confusing, and thus less problematic. Still, it would flow better paired with Simon's following dialogue.) In addition to such conventions, there is also potential for the paragraphs to be used with more stylistic purpose—in particular, short paragraphs can have a dramatic effect, or drag out a moment. Notably, both cases of «vertigo» would have stood out better, enhancing the reset loop so crucial to the theme of the entry. «Pause.» would also have greater impact sitting alone—though admittedly, it's an awkward sentence no matter how it is handled. (I've seen many writers try to represent the beat outside of scripts—one of my colleagues is enamoured with the tridot, and I've been trying to get him to break the habit. Ultimately its a stylistic choice, but what seems to be least clunky is just a short descriptive passage of the characters' inaction.)

Finally, as a relatively minor point, there were a couple cases of can being used where could would be more appropriate. Once was in dialogue, and thus receives a free pass; the other was not. In the fifth paragraph, the verbs was and seemed were used before «the eye can see». Past and present don't fit well together, so all that is needed is to match tense!
    C+
    Very short, but touching. Perhaps this entry's greatest strength is the facility with which it portrays the lead character, Malka.

Though evidently in third-person, the narration did well in capturing a bit of the charm of a child's mind. Instead of just stating that Malka «didn't like funerals», Malka «decided she didn't like funerals at all»; the latter addition is an excessive absolute typical of children, while the former demonstrates her need for control even on something ultimately innate to her. The rephrasing of the «big shoe boxes» to match the adult word was also a nice touch.

Its greatest shortcoming, however, was another case of improper verb tense. The present tense was used in numerous occasions where the past belonged. While sometimes just a grammatical blunder, such as when «her mother laughed» instead of «had laughed», later cases the sentence is perfectly grammatically correct and therefore leads to confusion. For example, in the paragraph starting with «Earlier,» the narrator used the same past tense for current events as for ack when the mother was alive. This leads to «She asked her mother […]» seemingly taking place in the present, even though she's dead. If the reader hadn't realized who the subjects of the funeral were yet, it gives the wrong impression. Again, «had asked» would have solved it.

From a less technical and more narrative-based perspective, the ending was a bit too quick. «Malka knew she would not be coming home.» was a great last line, especially as it called back to the earlier «They could go home.» dream, but it doesn't quite work because of the previous paragraph. It doesn't respond to or flow out of anything from the previous paragraph, making it feel as if it came out of nowhere—even if it works great in the context of the overall narrative. Adding a little something in between to transition from that open-ended question would have allowed the reader to far better soak in the power behind those words.

(Also, the third[?] paragraph uses far too many hers. About four per sentence! But that's not a significant issue.)
    C
    The tone was hard to place in this entry, as it seemed to switch haphazardly between grim and absurd—perhaps satirical. Especially in the first paragraph, words like crazy are too vibrant to describe any aspect of a funeral; and the comparison that follow is even further from the mark. And yet, later in the entry the interspersed recalled dialogue creates a tension that serves well to ground the drama of the piece.

If nothing else, the eponymous last line solidifies the entry as satire, or at the very least an attempt at capturing reality so deadpan that it edges on absurdity.

The diction itself is a bit clunky; In the sentence «Darren kept looking at the grave as the people slowly begun paying their respects to the family and leaving,» there are too many actions going on with too many parties involved. (Also «the people» is an awkward way of describing a group. Also also begun should be began. There are some other verb tense missteps throughout the entry.)

Ultimately, there wasn't enough information present to really feel an attachment to the character's plight. The extent of readership knowledge is that Darren cared enough about his brother to cry at his funeral—little more is known of their relationship.
    C-
    It appears that this entry is trying to portray death as it might in reality, with events simply occurring by chance and not by design. In the first half, attention is regularly drawn to the fact that Vincent is a somewhat distracted driver—and yet, when the accident occurs, he turns out completely blameless. While this may be closer to reality, it doesn't help to make a compelling story; Vincent as a character doesn't learn anything from this, as he didn't have any impact on events. Events happened to him, not because of him. (On the subject of lack of meaning, what were Charlotte's last words supposed to represent? Their repetition at the end gives the impression that they have some significance, but there does not appear to be some secondary meaning revealed only in the context of her death.)

The dialogue was generally a bit clunky, but was at its strongest in conversations with Charlotte—in fact, the banter helped to make their rapid affection believable. (Note, however, that having characters lampshade a cliché does not make it any less cliché. At this point, lampshading instant ramen noodle love is essentially a cliché in and of itself.) Patricia also was handled fairly well, as she helped to solidify how the reader was supposed to think of Vincent as a character. Leon's conversation, however, was just raw exposition, and not handled with much tact. As he says both «[…] wait, today?» and «[…] can you repeat that story […]» it is clearly implied that Leon was at least somewhat aware of what had happened. And yet, his comments on the Dutch and his admission of knowing what a charity worker is both present him as hearing it for the first time. We also learn next to nothing of Leon himself, as his comments are brief and centred exclusively on Vincent's story, not their relationship. (One wonders why Keith wasn't used for the call, seeing as his relationship was further developed earlier in the story—even though he brings nothing to it later.)

In fact, there are a lot of details that are mentioned but bring little to the narrative, such as Keith's whole long-distance status and Vincent's distaste for the radio. The peripheral characters were largely used for exposition, and therefore poorly developed.

Finally, the diction uses a lot of awkward sentence structures, and errors of grammar pop up frequently. Verb tenses seem to be problematic, with would being used where the past belong, such as «[…] would unlock his car.» and «[…] would start to drive away.» instead of locked and started. (A minor verb misuse was to «put off his watch», where it should be to «take of his watch».) An example of an oddly structured sentence was «Driving on the highway—where it wasn't that busy at this time of the day—Vincent had, however, threw already another look in the mirror to see if he wasn't in need to go back home and put on something else.» The two dashes are used to cut into a sentence and insert some off-hand information; that was fine. The issue is mostly that it doesn't seem to be cutting a full sentence; the second half is a complete sentence on its own, leaving the first half hanging in limbo. (Also, «thrown already another look».) Another case of an awkward sentence follows some dialogue: «Was the sarcastic retort.» First of all, as a dialogue tag, it is of the same sentence as the dialogue; it needs no capital, and should be preceded by a comma instead of the end point that was used. Secondly, it seems to fulfill much the same role as the text preceding the dialogue in conveying Patricia's lack of gullibility, rendering it rather redundant.

Some statements are very vague—for example «It had been three whole years.» could either be in reference to Keith departure for Canada or the last time Vincent had had a serious relationship. «Besides, that was just not done.» could also refer to just about anything. (Also, when describing the difference between going on a date and picking up girls at a bar, «on a date» is used for both. Probably a slip-up rather than a misuse, but confusing nonethless.)

Overall, the entry comes across more as awkward than bad; the characters were at times endearing, even if the story didn't push them around much. For now, it is the diction itself that is the greatest hurdle to overcome.
    B-
    A short and endearing entry, again taking the perspective of a child. Though some details were left a little hazy—such as why the dog was so decayed if it had only been buried the day before, and whatever the nature of Carley's apparent necromancy was—it was ultimately a character-driven piece, and was easily able to pull through without expanding on the setting much.

The diction itself was well written, with varied sentence structure and little snippets that helped to draw attention to the girl's young and innocent nature; for example, the admission that «even she knew that». (I also really liked the construction of this sentence: «Tears blurred her eyes but Ivy gave a resolute sniff and refused to let them fall.» Beautifully balanced and flows great!)

Finally, the actual story itself was an interesting take on zombies, and showed a lot of strength of character from Ivy even in such a short span of time. Still, the last line was a bit forced—it makes some sense in the context of the contest, but doesn't fit nearly as well with the content of the entry itself.
    C-
    The choice to label it—and to some extent, format it—as a script was quite odd, not least because it barely fits the style of a script anyway. For one, placing the character's name before the dialogue only takes place thrice. More significantly, the stage directions are descriptive in a manner more befitting a narrative text than a theatrical one, where metaphors and similes will go unspoken. In the final moments, the stage directions even break their objective perspective: «He looks to the left and sees […]», «[…] he hears rustling.». The audience has no ability to experience his senses, and therefore they do not really belong in stage directions. (It's not that writing a script is a bad choice; it's merely that the choice of medium was not taken advantage of to create any impact.)

The monologue was generally fine—in the context of the story, it was supposed to be just exposition. Still, it was a bit straightforward; beyond merely relating the events that led to his attempted suicide and emphasizing his emotional instability, there wasn't much present to actually draw the reader in. Beyond pity, Heyes had little going for him as a character.

It is difficult to actually go into analyzing the diction, as it is primarily a character's speech, allowing it to circumvent most typical guidelines.

Finally, it would have been nice to get a better feel for the other characters. While Daliah was given a lot of time, she wasn't provided any personality or characterization beyond kind and intelligent. Alice's relationship could also have been expanded on, especially as she makes a brief appearance at the end.

This leaves us knowing that Heyes made dumb mistakes that cost him dearly, but never really why.
    B-
    Despite its length, the entry allowed both Jennifer and the Angel of Death the opportunity to stand out as characters. (Though the latter of them perhaps a bit less so. Perhaps it is merely difficult to relate to a character whose thoughts are related so analytically.) The title was an interesting way of incorporating the prompt—and yet, the brush seems to take second-fiddle in this entry.

The narration itself was quite well-written. Stylistically, the regular use of sentences lacking in predicate was interesting, and well handled—in particular, it helped to emphasize Death's detached perspective. Still, verbs exist for a reason, and some sentences read awkwardly as a result of their non-presence. For example, «Flash of blade as it wavered.» was distracting in an otherwise effective paragraph, as flash was being used in noun form as a poor substitute for the same word as a verb.

(Of minor note, the ending was a bit off-putting; «and waved» is a bit too playful in the context of an otherwise bittersweet story.)
    C+
    A generally solid entry, without much in the way of technical issues. Both of the characters were interesting, especially in one another's presence—though Cassidy came across as a bit too flat, almost unnaturally regimented in his behaviour. Of course, this seems to be part and parcel of who he is as a character. (It was a tough road to get me to start liking him, but somehow it was pulled off.)

The plot felt largely unresolved. Ultimately it was building up to the reveal that Cassidy was some sort of criminal leader, but there weren't any hints or foreshadowing. (The "aha!" moment, where readers realize something suddenly makes sense, is only effective when there's actually sense to be pulled. As it stands, the reveal just is—it doesn't alter our understanding of anything that occurred prior.) As such, the tension created over Elena's boyfriend's death merely dissipates; the ending is neither ambiguous enough to be a cliff-hanger, nor developed enough to form a climax.

As stated earlier, the narration itself is generally well handled. It both captures Cassidy and provides the required info with proper flow. Only a couple sentences stand out as a bit awkward—one such case is «Growing up together, we were inseparable when we were children, and teenagers.» It can generally be assumed that they were children growing up, leaving the latter half of the sentence a bit redundant. Another awkward sentence—«Run-down terraced houses in rows, which were supposed to be affordable for the poor, but which no one maintains these days.»—seems to use the wrong coordinating conjunction. Using but implies that the houses are not affordable due to their lack of maintenance.
    C+
    A very interesting set-up—a second entity of Death to replace the first allowed for an original perspective on an otherwise well-trodden path. Her relationship with her father, however, wasn't given much attention—even though her whole existence is for the sake of replacing him. In fact, Death as a character is only touched upon superficially, saying very little and revealing none of his motives. Of course, the story is about the girl, not the father, and perhaps his distance is intentional.

The narration uses very simple language, and as she explores the concepts that life brings she treads along the same words regularly—anger, fear, pride. While this is done to build up to the ultimate construction of love, it also paints the second Death as being not particularly insightful, despite her observant nature. Still, she her naivete is somewhat endearing, and her interactions with the deer particularly captivating.

There are a lot of run-on sentences, typos, and other such errors—while are not of a nature to garner confusion, they do detract from the flow in their distraction. Take, for example, this sentence: «Never before had I seen a mortal look right at us, we were unseen to them I thought.» Not only is it a run-on sentence—the comma need only be replaced by a semi-colon, in this case—the two halves also suffer from a misalignment of verb tenses. In this context, «I had thought» would have been appropriate, as otherwise the latter half of the sentence would take place chronologically after the first half, when neither of them should be logically bound to any single point in time. And the next sentence—«Rising from my stooped position and walked on with more questions […]»—lacks a subject.

Overall, this entry is solid. It maintains interest through a unique perspective on death. Still, it falls behind in the quality of its narration.
    B
    Generally quite well written; the description helps to cement the setting into the mind of the reader, as well as develop the tone of the piece. That being said, it is almost too descriptive—even in the middle of the action, the bulk of the text goes towards minute details and exposition. At one point, Fin's «[…] just listen to m– […]» was cut off in the middle of a word—but somehow, Iseul's «No!» that cut him off didn't show up until after two full paragraphs, one of exposition and one of description. Similarly, so much time was spent describing the paladin's death that even after elaborating on the trajectory of his gore, the next paragraph went back in time to describe Iseul watching «in her ungodly horror as the bullet whizzed out of the barrel […]». (Somewhat related, I personally found the fifth paragraph hounded down on the «Overnight» bit too much. I understand the stylistic benefits of repetition, but three is usually sufficient; at six, interest starts getting sapped away.)

This is simply far too much description. In dialogue and action alike, it's important to keep things flowing and maintain tension, not letting details bog everything down. Even when its good writing, more is not better.

That being said, the narration wasn't perfect, either. Beyond a spattering of typos and improper verb tenses, there seemed to be a lot of words used in the wrong context. Instead of «[…] wherever nook and cranny that might be.», try whichever (or maybe wherever that). Later, «The duo darted side-by-side, Finton behind Iseul […]» flat-out contradicts itself; «with no emotion or apathy» a bit less so, but generally they exist on opposite ends of the spectrum. And sadistic means taking pleasure in others' suffering, not merely being detached from it. Some other sentences are ambiguously structured, such as «Plopping on his pearly face-helmet, the Takeda sped off […]»; it's clearly Fin donning the helmet, not the bike, but the structure of the sentence implies otherwise.

As for the story itself, it was captivating in large part due to the vibrant setting and protagonist pair. Though better represented through their actions than their dialogue, both characters were well developed—in addition to their tumultuous relationship. Their role within the community was brushed over, however.

The plot did suffer a bit in the middle. Discovering that the book was a hidden tracker essentially amounted to the inciting incident, and the attack of the paladin bikers the climax—there was no rising action, leaving things a little rushed.
    B-
    Short and to the point—in doing so, it leaves much unanswered. In particular, the lack of information on the relationship between the guard and the prisoner severely diminished the potency of that final charge. While the guard was relatively developed through the first-person narration, the so-called «weaver of tales» is only understood through the few spoken lines of defiance he offers. (Of some note, I found his defiance a bit too flashy—perhaps fitting for what I assume to be a bard. Personally, I have difficulty taking humour in grim situations seriously unless it is either disturbingly absurd or exceptionally dry. In this case, I feel the latter was intended; but brevity would do you well.)

From a technical perspective, the narration hold up, while not bringing anything exceptional to the table. (To wit, this is oft good; ultimately the reader is most interested in the content, not the vessel that carries it—writing too exceptional may act as more a distraction than a boon.)

As for the story, it was generally solid, though the ending was a bit unstable. It seems pointless to die only to extend another man's life a day, and as a guard himself, he seemed awfully willing to murder his peer. Without proper insight into his motives, this simply saps a bit of the meaning behind his actions.
    B
    Well-written entry, with good monologue-ing. The plot was straight-forward, not much to criticize; same with the narration.

Still, the protagonist herself seemed a bit inconsistent—switching between confidence, shyness, grief, and sadistic intent in a very short expanse of time. Some of that instability can likely be explained by the traumatic events she experienced, but it seems odd for her to become that absorbed in her story despite her regular acknowledgement of the listener through «y'know» and the like. (Ultimately, it just feels to me like she's so full of herself that it's hard to take her emotions at face value.)

(Nice title, by the way.)
    C+
    Even if one is to put aside the fact that this entry was written in the first-person, the narration seems far too conversational to convey the true impact of the events it describes. From the first paragraph it is clear that she is relating the tale retrospectively, and yet she describes it as it were occurring parallel. (This is one of the great challenges of the first-person; while it can be useful in providing a closer look from the perspective of the narrator, it is more difficult for the reader to determine the context in which it is being narrated.) That being said, the narration itself was generally solid.

The story lacks a bit in tension, in part because of how quickly it becomes apparent that the husband will die. It seems to want to focus more on her recovery, but that too is quite transient—only moments after acknowledging her dependency on drugs, she states that it is «time to stop». Because of this, the struggles she goes through afterwards seem trivial; the narrator has made it clear already that she is determined to succeed, and gave no indication that she wouldn't.

Ultimately, without much interaction to truly develop any of the characters, nor a plot structured well enough to sustain tension, it is difficult to become invested in the story.
    C-
    Though effective in conveying the needs of the story, the writing is in dire need of polish.
    • Despite supposedly being an in-universe excerpt from what can be assumed to be a history book, the narration quickly discards its omniscient perspective for one favouring Ann herself. (Certainly the author could not have known that Ann had «hoped that not too many innocents would die in the chaos»?)
    • A lot of words used in the place of similar-sounding ones—«weighted» should be weighed, «rise» should be raise.
    • Quotation marks for mocking emphasis are good once; if used nearly every time, as was the case for «"soldiers"», it just starts to be distracting.
    • While dialogue tags diminished the damage, dialogue should be separated into distinct paragraphs between speakers.
    • Dialogue itself feels unnaturally scripted, especially in the midst of battle or the fear of death. (Censoring the curse words was unnecessary, but I'll permit it.)
    • Run-on sentences, clauses not delineated by commas, and even a surplus of clauses in general made many sentences drag out.
    Ultimately, what sets this entry back is not so much the quality of its writing, however. Instead, it lies in the construction of the story itself.

Throughout, the setting and plot both seem to bend to the will of the protagonist, Ann. A clear underdog, she is nonetheless more powerful than any other character in the setting—more powerful even than mages, or demons that had never before been killed. None of the other characters have any impact—they seem to be introduced in the spur of the moment, often to be killed off shortly afterwards. (Notably, this has the added disadvantage of making it difficult to care about any of the supporting cast—and if we don't care about them, their deaths too lack impact.) As the story progresses, she only grows more powerful, even so much that she is apparently capable of negating the magic of multiple Demon Lords, despite only having the core of a mere demon herself.

When a character is incapable of failure, it becomes nearly impossible to maintain any tension or investment in the characters.

(Despite all this, all say the following: I did find the entry entertaining. There were elements of the setting that left me wanting for more, and the plot could have been captivating with more polish.)
    C+
    An interesting sci-fantasy setting, but despite the opening exposition, little is actually revealed about it. The summoned monsters, the mages, the Rodians—all mentioned, but neither described nor expanded upon. Still, it is clearly a fictional setting—so when references to our own pop culture, geography, and religion start to rear their head, it becomes difficult to reconcile it with the rest.

This is especially significant during Lucy's out-of-body experience. The switch between a jungle battlefield and apparently an Egyptian goddess was jarring, to say the least. In addition, there wasn't any indication prior that he was a religious man, bearing a religious symbol—save, perhaps, the fleeting reference to Van Helsing.

Beyond that, conflict seemed to move at a breakneck pace, but not in a tense manner. Their careful plan didn't see a second of action, interrupted by the teleporter (who it would have been nice to learn more about) before it could be set in place. The rescue itself was hardly touched upon, their argument in the jungle was resolved easily, and the ambush in the opening scene was too jumbled to set up any tension.

That being said, the four survivors made for an interesting and dynamic cast in the few moments they had to bounce off one another, and the narration itself was effective.
    B+
    Very strong entry, with a welcome fresh take on the contest prompts. (There was a moment when Sven leaned close to the road and I thought he was going to get run over—entirely because of the expectations set up by the prompts, of course. Probably the most tense moment I experienced in the entries so far!) The narration is particularly well constructed; the varying of paragraph length between long and short allowed for far more narrative tension then might have been expected from such a peaceful story. (Not the same tension I mentioned just above, of course; merely a desire to learn more.) The use of repetition and parallel structure, such as in «[…] he was excited. Really excited.» and «They were going to […]» were also a nice touch.

The protagonist himself was very relatable and well developed—he never felt inconsistent or out of place for his age. There is truly little to criticize in this entry—it can perhaps only be faulted for a lack of ambition. (And that might just be its charm.)
    C+
    Another interesting take on the process behind the scenes of death—though from the readers' perspective many details of the setting are left unclear, such as the purpose of the jury or the nature of the character known as «Death».

It seems odd that the judge and drill sergeant both fail to consider initially that Calvin might be oblivious to the situation he finds himself in. Both acknowledge the fact that they should have explained earlier, but didn't due to some oversight—an oversight that one would assume to have been addressed after the countless others they must have processed. (This was a perfect case for free scripted exposition!)

Onto more technical matters.

The rapidity with which scenes transitioned was jolting—if one scene can achieve multiple things, it pays to allow it to do so. Otherwise, in such short doses, it becomes difficult to convey true progression in the character. (This is less of an issue once the protagonist actually dies, however. Perhaps because those initial snapshots were not the focus of the entry itself, and instead just a manner of introducing Calvin.) There was also something of a jolting tonal shift between the intense scenes of depression—(more on that below)—and the casual judge of the afterlife. Indeed, the entire setting of the afterlife clashes with the initial setup. It is not a major issue here, but misleading readers can have poor results in longer works.

Finally, the narration is too descriptive, and not in the sense that it is describing things unnecessarily or for too long. Instead, the manner it is written seems to be attempting to jam as many fancy words into a small space as possible—all is good in moderation. Sometimes, the description served no purpose; «Music of no particular genre […]» is no more detailed than just «music». Similarly, ofttimes there are words stacked together that ultimately convey the same meaning, such as «[…] echoes, reverberating vibrations […]» or «[…] drips small droplets […]». And yet, for the most part, it is less due to specific missteps than it is just the density with which the heavily stylistic descriptions are used. A beautifully formed sentence is far more effective when placed amidst the plain.

That all being said, Calvin and Rosalie were both given time to shine (though I'll note Kristopher's squad felt a bit flat) and the former of the two came to terms with a key lesson. Good use of character development to help the reader grow attached to the protagonist.
    B
    A lot of action packed into one scene—the narration does a good job of developing Kodora in such a short span, through brief touches on his habits and intentions. Still, with only such a small snapshot, it is difficult to come to terms with the setting. Asashimo is barely introduced, and her magic comes out of nowhere without any explanation as to its limitations. (There is also little info on what events set the story in motion, either. We know Kodora heard Haruki's cry, but did Asashimo, or anyone else? How did she know where to go?)

As for the narration, it generally handled the balance between description and action well. Beyond the many typos, however, it also suffered from a bit of seemingly unintentional repetition. For example, phrases like «[…] mind failing as his body failed [COLOR=888][…][/COLOR]» or «[…] crept into his mind soundlessly, prodding his mind gently […]» use the same words in very close proximity. There was also a sequence where as was used in almost every sentence: «[…] as she laid […]», «[…] [COLOR=996]as she poured[/COLOR] [COLOR=888][…][/COLOR]», «[…] as his body […]», «[…] as Asashimo pulled […]». (There may also have been a tad too many adverbs; avoid using more than one per sentence.)

Finally, the entry ended a bit abruptly. Though seemingly aiming for a cliffhanger, there wasn't any immediate tension to make it effective—only a tinge of horror on Kodora's part. The entry was fairly strong in its middle, but it is typically the end that should stick.
    C+
    The entry did a good job of characterizing its narrator, and stuck to its guns throughout. Ultimately, it was only tangentially a story, predominantly focusing on the insight the narrator draws from his experiences and current situation. Considering the nature and presentation of this insight, this can alienate a number of readers—and also prevents the entry from establishing any tension. (Above the other entries, I feel my ability to critique this is tainted by my personal tastes in this regard.)

The writing itself was effective, if a bit conversational despite its grim subject. Still, there were a number of run-on sentences, such as the following: «The "secret therapist" once classified me as a low-functioning sociopath, I guess in contrast to a high-functioning one, though even then, I have to question the accuracy of that.» At the very least, the second comma should be replaced with either a semi-colon or an em-dash—but that one sentence could have easily been split into three.
    C
    A very short entry, and as is typical for such length, the progression of the protagonist moves rather quickly. Though, in fact, Tyler does not progress far from his initial state of grief, this is perhaps fitting; the grief itself seems to be the focus of the entry, rather than the recovery.

It is a little odd that the apparent perspective switches between three characters in such a short entry. The first switch was fine, as it helped convey the shock of Abigail's death—the readers were effectively seeing the world through what Tyler imagined to be her eyes. The second was a bit less fluid—it would have been more fitting to keep his mother's internal feelings in a separate paragraph from Tyler's realization of her presence.

Ultimately, there is little to criticize and little to praise in such a short entry.
    C-
    (A note of warning—I am not as apt in the critique of poetry. Especially relatively irregularly structured ones such as this.)

Filled with half-truths and corrections, it is somewhat difficult to determine that which is actually occurring in the poem. (If Sarah is Lily's daughter, and Lily his wife, who is River? As far as I can tell, a mistress.)

In addition, it meanders throughout the verses—with line break ofttimes cutting a sentence in half. This is both jarring and confusing to read, and without any apparent purpose.

(Sorry, I've little else to say.)
    A-
    (I think it clear that you do not need my help—so I've little to say in my critique.)

The writing is superb—any fleeting errors that might be drawn to attention were isolated, not chronic ailments. Perhaps the only fault lies in the lack of exposition. Very little is explained about why Sera challenged the Prince, though the few details provided are enough to get the gist. More importantly, the character of Ser Lorel is only shallowly characterized, which makes it a little difficult to truly relate to Sera's desire to kill him.

Her thirst for survival, however, is quite understandable.

Had there been more information on the setting and characters offered, this could make for an epic story—as it stands, it is still very, very good.
    B-
    A decent entry, with good description and writing. (There was a bit too much jargon at the beginning, however; not being a military enthusiast in any capacity, it was very confusing at first. I didn't figure out what a «helo» was until halfway through.) It falls behind, however, in the framework of the story.

Details were not forthcoming. Amidst the military jargon, allusions to the CSJ—be it the Cross of St. James or the Confederacy of Scepter of Judah—and the royalty of New Sonora were not easily grasped. This was worsened by mentions of real locations and cultures, which were then blended into fictional nations without explanation. These details were crucial to understanding Cross's motivations, and the exposition that reveals them came far too late.

Perhaps the greatest fault of this entry then is pacing. Almost immediately, Cross's whole squad is wiped out, long before the reader had any chance to actually start to care about any of them. (Out of the blue shocker kills can be effective at conveying the hopelessness of a situation—but seeing as Cross never seemed to care about his subordinates either, that did not come across.) This is followed by drawn-out scenes of Cross doing very little, followed by a resolution that come from nowhere. All of this sapped the tension the story might present.

Related to this, there was a distinct lack of character agency. Cross's men did nothing to cause the helicopter to explode, it just did. When Cross took a rest in the cavern, long after the explosions had dwindled away from focus in the story, another rock-slide came along to seal him in. And stuck inside, he did nothing to help his escape; neither were the King's actions in saving him (or himself) ever described. Ultimately, readers relate to stories because of the people living them—if none of the characters have any effect on the story, they might as well not have been there, and therefore it will not be as compelling.

Again, the writing itself was fine; but the story could have been constructed better.
    B
    Despite being very slow, this entry is nonetheless very well written. The character of both father and son are wonderfully conveyed through their interactions—and the dialogue is oddly insightful.

Still, it is very slow—the dialogue is very simple and oft repetitive; the segregation of speech and narration prevents either from supporting the other; and the next-to-no actions taking place ensure that no tension can string the reader along.

It is endearing, perhaps even deep, but can only do so much to keep the reader interested without a plot.
    B
    Great characterization throughout—(though Trey did come across as a bit too detached from the situation during his assassination: groaning «"Aw shit,"» and the rest that followed fits more with what I came to expect of the narration than the dialogue)—and with a captivating twist. The tone switched a bit abruptly when Quentin began to reveal the supposed existence of magic, diminishing the impact of that particular twist, but the following regression of Trey along the same lines was able to profit from the earlier sacrifice. (Though I'll admit, Rob being the devil did seem a bit random.)

Of course, while the first-person narration did help with the often tongue-in-cheek tone of the entry, the occasional switches to third-person were very jarring. It is best to stick to one or the other—drawing attention to a breach of etiquette makes it no less distracting. (The parentheses were also distracting. A few would be fine, but because the text was already self-aware in the standard narration, many were deprived of their purpose.)

(As a final note, the use of a plural pronoun to denote Blue was a bit off-putting—I understand it is handy to combat gendered language where gender is not required, but I am naturally conservative.)
  • C
    While the characterization of the so-called «shimmers» is effective—with Vivi, Artie, and Simon's personalities and roles being such that they can bounce exposition off of one another efficiently—the story overall is either too short or too happenstance to really hold its own. Still, the writing itself is decent and the setting interesting—it just needs more drive to satisfy the reader.

From a narrative standpoint, very little change occurs between the beginning and ending. Though we don't see any character development from Bayard anyways, any that he might have accrued is rendered redundant by the admission that he'll forget it all as soon as he reawakens. While exploring the nature of the setting itself might have been enough of a driving force for the entry, unfortunately there is little of that as well. A number of questions are asked, supplemented by many that the readers can supply for themselves. (Do they age after death? It would explain why Simon is coincidentally both oldest and most knowledgeable. Can they die, if they need food and water? Where does all the stuff come from? Why are there only seven, and why these seven?) And yet, no answers are given. Nor, in fact, does the setting give the impression that there are answers, as the shimmers themselves know next to nothing. (Beyond them merely stating as much, this can be seen in how the children react when they discover they can pass through him. What with how often this accidentally occurs during their walk to the camp, it seems odd they'd not realized any other time a brink-case popped up.)

Moving towards the technical side of things, as said above the writing is decent, but still bears room for improvement. In particular, on the subjects of paragraphs and verb tense.

When it comes to paragraphs, the most blatant mistake is the distribution of actions and dialogue between multiple subjects in the same paragraph. This often leads to confusion as to who each action is supposed to be attributed to. For example, while «"Hey, listen!"» appears to be one of the shimmers speaking, it is accompanied by an action that is definitely Bayard's. Because neither of the two halves are clearly assigned, the narration instead implies that both the speech and actions were from the same individual, and the following mumbling by a second character. (Later, «"The brink?" The apparition before him nodded.» is similarly in error, but by being specific with who the action belongs to, it is less confusing, and thus less problematic. Still, it would flow better paired with Simon's following dialogue.) In addition to such conventions, there is also potential for the paragraphs to be used with more stylistic purpose—in particular, short paragraphs can have a dramatic effect, or drag out a moment. Notably, both cases of «vertigo» would have stood out better, enhancing the reset loop so crucial to the theme of the entry. «Pause.» would also have greater impact sitting alone—though admittedly, it's an awkward sentence no matter how it is handled. (I've seen many writers try to represent the beat outside of scripts—one of my colleagues is enamoured with the tridot, and I've been trying to get him to break the habit. Ultimately its a stylistic choice, but what seems to be least clunky is just a short descriptive passage of the characters' inaction.)

Finally, as a relatively minor point, there were a couple cases of can being used where could would be more appropriate. Once was in dialogue, and thus receives a free pass; the other was not. In the fifth paragraph, the verbs was and seemed were used before «the eye can see». Past and present don't fit well together, so all that is needed is to match tense!
    C+
    Very short, but touching. Perhaps this entry's greatest strength is the facility with which it portrays the lead character, Malka.

Though evidently in third-person, the narration did well in capturing a bit of the charm of a child's mind. Instead of just stating that Malka «didn't like funerals», Malka «decided she didn't like funerals at all»; the latter addition is an excessive absolute typical of children, while the former demonstrates her need for control even on something ultimately innate to her. The rephrasing of the «big shoe boxes» to match the adult word was also a nice touch.

Its greatest shortcoming, however, was another case of improper verb tense. The present tense was used in numerous occasions where the past belonged. While sometimes just a grammatical blunder, such as when «her mother laughed» instead of «had laughed», later cases the sentence is perfectly grammatically correct and therefore leads to confusion. For example, in the paragraph starting with «Earlier,» the narrator used the same past tense for current events as for ack when the mother was alive. This leads to «She asked her mother […]» seemingly taking place in the present, even though she's dead. If the reader hadn't realized who the subjects of the funeral were yet, it gives the wrong impression. Again, «had asked» would have solved it.

From a less technical and more narrative-based perspective, the ending was a bit too quick. «Malka knew she would not be coming home.» was a great last line, especially as it called back to the earlier «They could go home.» dream, but it doesn't quite work because of the previous paragraph. It doesn't respond to or flow out of anything from the previous paragraph, making it feel as if it came out of nowhere—even if it works great in the context of the overall narrative. Adding a little something in between to transition from that open-ended question would have allowed the reader to far better soak in the power behind those words.

(Also, the third[?] paragraph uses far too many hers. About four per sentence! But that's not a significant issue.)
    C
    The tone was hard to place in this entry, as it seemed to switch haphazardly between grim and absurd—perhaps satirical. Especially in the first paragraph, words like crazy are too vibrant to describe any aspect of a funeral; and the comparison that follow is even further from the mark. And yet, later in the entry the interspersed recalled dialogue creates a tension that serves well to ground the drama of the piece.

If nothing else, the eponymous last line solidifies the entry as satire, or at the very least an attempt at capturing reality so deadpan that it edges on absurdity.

The diction itself is a bit clunky; In the sentence «Darren kept looking at the grave as the people slowly begun paying their respects to the family and leaving,» there are too many actions going on with too many parties involved. (Also «the people» is an awkward way of describing a group. Also also begun should be began. There are some other verb tense missteps throughout the entry.)

Ultimately, there wasn't enough information present to really feel an attachment to the character's plight. The extent of readership knowledge is that Darren cared enough about his brother to cry at his funeral—little more is known of their relationship.
    C-
    It appears that this entry is trying to portray death as it might in reality, with events simply occurring by chance and not by design. In the first half, attention is regularly drawn to the fact that Vincent is a somewhat distracted driver—and yet, when the accident occurs, he turns out completely blameless. While this may be closer to reality, it doesn't help to make a compelling story; Vincent as a character doesn't learn anything from this, as he didn't have any impact on events. Events happened to him, not because of him. (On the subject of lack of meaning, what were Charlotte's last words supposed to represent? Their repetition at the end gives the impression that they have some significance, but there does not appear to be some secondary meaning revealed only in the context of her death.)

The dialogue was generally a bit clunky, but was at its strongest in conversations with Charlotte—in fact, the banter helped to make their rapid affection believable. (Note, however, that having characters lampshade a cliché does not make it any less cliché. At this point, lampshading instant ramen noodle love is essentially a cliché in and of itself.) Patricia also was handled fairly well, as she helped to solidify how the reader was supposed to think of Vincent as a character. Leon's conversation, however, was just raw exposition, and not handled with much tact. As he says both «[…] wait, today?» and «[…] can you repeat that story […]» it is clearly implied that Leon was at least somewhat aware of what had happened. And yet, his comments on the Dutch and his admission of knowing what a charity worker is both present him as hearing it for the first time. We also learn next to nothing of Leon himself, as his comments are brief and centred exclusively on Vincent's story, not their relationship. (One wonders why Keith wasn't used for the call, seeing as his relationship was further developed earlier in the story—even though he brings nothing to it later.)

In fact, there are a lot of details that are mentioned but bring little to the narrative, such as Keith's whole long-distance status and Vincent's distaste for the radio. The peripheral characters were largely used for exposition, and therefore poorly developed.

Finally, the diction uses a lot of awkward sentence structures, and errors of grammar pop up frequently. Verb tenses seem to be problematic, with would being used where the past belong, such as «[…] would unlock his car.» and «[…] would start to drive away.» instead of locked and started. (A minor verb misuse was to «put off his watch», where it should be to «take of his watch».) An example of an oddly structured sentence was «Driving on the highway—where it wasn't that busy at this time of the day—Vincent had, however, threw already another look in the mirror to see if he wasn't in need to go back home and put on something else.» The two dashes are used to cut into a sentence and insert some off-hand information; that was fine. The issue is mostly that it doesn't seem to be cutting a full sentence; the second half is a complete sentence on its own, leaving the first half hanging in limbo. (Also, «thrown already another look».) Another case of an awkward sentence follows some dialogue: «Was the sarcastic retort.» First of all, as a dialogue tag, it is of the same sentence as the dialogue; it needs no capital, and should be preceded by a comma instead of the end point that was used. Secondly, it seems to fulfill much the same role as the text preceding the dialogue in conveying Patricia's lack of gullibility, rendering it rather redundant.

Some statements are very vague—for example «It had been three whole years.» could either be in reference to Keith departure for Canada or the last time Vincent had had a serious relationship. «Besides, that was just not done.» could also refer to just about anything. (Also, when describing the difference between going on a date and picking up girls at a bar, «on a date» is used for both. Probably a slip-up rather than a misuse, but confusing nonethless.)

Overall, the entry comes across more as awkward than bad; the characters were at times endearing, even if the story didn't push them around much. For now, it is the diction itself that is the greatest hurdle to overcome.
    B-
    A short and endearing entry, again taking the perspective of a child. Though some details were left a little hazy—such as why the dog was so decayed if it had only been buried the day before, and whatever the nature of Carley's apparent necromancy was—it was ultimately a character-driven piece, and was easily able to pull through without expanding on the setting much.

The diction itself was well written, with varied sentence structure and little snippets that helped to draw attention to the girl's young and innocent nature; for example, the admission that «even she knew that». (I also really liked the construction of this sentence: «Tears blurred her eyes but Ivy gave a resolute sniff and refused to let them fall.» Beautifully balanced and flows great!)

Finally, the actual story itself was an interesting take on zombies, and showed a lot of strength of character from Ivy even in such a short span of time. Still, the last line was a bit forced—it makes some sense in the context of the contest, but doesn't fit nearly as well with the content of the entry itself.
    C-
    The choice to label it—and to some extent, format it—as a script was quite odd, not least because it barely fits the style of a script anyway. For one, placing the character's name before the dialogue only takes place thrice. More significantly, the stage directions are descriptive in a manner more befitting a narrative text than a theatrical one, where metaphors and similes will go unspoken. In the final moments, the stage directions even break their objective perspective: «He looks to the left and sees […]», «[…] he hears rustling.». The audience has no ability to experience his senses, and therefore they do not really belong in stage directions. (It's not that writing a script is a bad choice; it's merely that the choice of medium was not taken advantage of to create any impact.)

The monologue was generally fine—in the context of the story, it was supposed to be just exposition. Still, it was a bit straightforward; beyond merely relating the events that led to his attempted suicide and emphasizing his emotional instability, there wasn't much present to actually draw the reader in. Beyond pity, Heyes had little going for him as a character.

It is difficult to actually go into analyzing the diction, as it is primarily a character's speech, allowing it to circumvent most typical guidelines.

Finally, it would have been nice to get a better feel for the other characters. While Daliah was given a lot of time, she wasn't provided any personality or characterization beyond kind and intelligent. Alice's relationship could also have been expanded on, especially as she makes a brief appearance at the end.

This leaves us knowing that Heyes made dumb mistakes that cost him dearly, but never really why.
    B-
    Despite its length, the entry allowed both Jennifer and the Angel of Death the opportunity to stand out as characters. (Though the latter of them perhaps a bit less so. Perhaps it is merely difficult to relate to a character whose thoughts are related so analytically.) The title was an interesting way of incorporating the prompt—and yet, the brush seems to take second-fiddle in this entry.

The narration itself was quite well-written. Stylistically, the regular use of sentences lacking in predicate was interesting, and well handled—in particular, it helped to emphasize Death's detached perspective. Still, verbs exist for a reason, and some sentences read awkwardly as a result of their non-presence. For example, «Flash of blade as it wavered.» was distracting in an otherwise effective paragraph, as flash was being used in noun form as a poor substitute for the same word as a verb.

(Of minor note, the ending was a bit off-putting; «and waved» is a bit too playful in the context of an otherwise bittersweet story.)
    C+
    A generally solid entry, without much in the way of technical issues. Both of the characters were interesting, especially in one another's presence—though Cassidy came across as a bit too flat, almost unnaturally regimented in his behaviour. Of course, this seems to be part and parcel of who he is as a character. (It was a tough road to get me to start liking him, but somehow it was pulled off.)

The plot felt largely unresolved. Ultimately it was building up to the reveal that Cassidy was some sort of criminal leader, but there weren't any hints or foreshadowing. (The "aha!" moment, where readers realize something suddenly makes sense, is only effective when there's actually sense to be pulled. As it stands, the reveal just is—it doesn't alter our understanding of anything that occurred prior.) As such, the tension created over Elena's boyfriend's death merely dissipates; the ending is neither ambiguous enough to be a cliff-hanger, nor developed enough to form a climax.

As stated earlier, the narration itself is generally well handled. It both captures Cassidy and provides the required info with proper flow. Only a couple sentences stand out as a bit awkward—one such case is «Growing up together, we were inseparable when we were children, and teenagers.» It can generally be assumed that they were children growing up, leaving the latter half of the sentence a bit redundant. Another awkward sentence—«Run-down terraced houses in rows, which were supposed to be affordable for the poor, but which no one maintains these days.»—seems to use the wrong coordinating conjunction. Using but implies that the houses are not affordable due to their lack of maintenance.
    C+
    A very interesting set-up—a second entity of Death to replace the first allowed for an original perspective on an otherwise well-trodden path. Her relationship with her father, however, wasn't given much attention—even though her whole existence is for the sake of replacing him. In fact, Death as a character is only touched upon superficially, saying very little and revealing none of his motives. Of course, the story is about the girl, not the father, and perhaps his distance is intentional.

The narration uses very simple language, and as she explores the concepts that life brings she treads along the same words regularly—anger, fear, pride. While this is done to build up to the ultimate construction of love, it also paints the second Death as being not particularly insightful, despite her observant nature. Still, she her naivete is somewhat endearing, and her interactions with the deer particularly captivating.

There are a lot of run-on sentences, typos, and other such errors—while are not of a nature to garner confusion, they do detract from the flow in their distraction. Take, for example, this sentence: «Never before had I seen a mortal look right at us, we were unseen to them I thought.» Not only is it a run-on sentence—the comma need only be replaced by a semi-colon, in this case—the two halves also suffer from a misalignment of verb tenses. In this context, «I had thought» would have been appropriate, as otherwise the latter half of the sentence would take place chronologically after the first half, when neither of them should be logically bound to any single point in time. And the next sentence—«Rising from my stooped position and walked on with more questions […]»—lacks a subject.

Overall, this entry is solid. It maintains interest through a unique perspective on death. Still, it falls behind in the quality of its narration.
    B
    Generally quite well written; the description helps to cement the setting into the mind of the reader, as well as develop the tone of the piece. That being said, it is almost too descriptive—even in the middle of the action, the bulk of the text goes towards minute details and exposition. At one point, Fin's «[…] just listen to m– […]» was cut off in the middle of a word—but somehow, Iseul's «No!» that cut him off didn't show up until after two full paragraphs, one of exposition and one of description. Similarly, so much time was spent describing the paladin's death that even after elaborating on the trajectory of his gore, the next paragraph went back in time to describe Iseul watching «in her ungodly horror as the bullet whizzed out of the barrel […]». (Somewhat related, I personally found the fifth paragraph hounded down on the «Overnight» bit too much. I understand the stylistic benefits of repetition, but three is usually sufficient; at six, interest starts getting sapped away.)

This is simply far too much description. In dialogue and action alike, it's important to keep things flowing and maintain tension, not letting details bog everything down. Even when its good writing, more is not better.

That being said, the narration wasn't perfect, either. Beyond a spattering of typos and improper verb tenses, there seemed to be a lot of words used in the wrong context. Instead of «[…] wherever nook and cranny that might be.», try whichever (or maybe wherever that). Later, «The duo darted side-by-side, Finton behind Iseul […]» flat-out contradicts itself; «with no emotion or apathy» a bit less so, but generally they exist on opposite ends of the spectrum. And sadistic means taking pleasure in others' suffering, not merely being detached from it. Some other sentences are ambiguously structured, such as «Plopping on his pearly face-helmet, the Takeda sped off […]»; it's clearly Fin donning the helmet, not the bike, but the structure of the sentence implies otherwise.

As for the story itself, it was captivating in large part due to the vibrant setting and protagonist pair. Though better represented through their actions than their dialogue, both characters were well developed—in addition to their tumultuous relationship. Their role within the community was brushed over, however.

The plot did suffer a bit in the middle. Discovering that the book was a hidden tracker essentially amounted to the inciting incident, and the attack of the paladin bikers the climax—there was no rising action, leaving things a little rushed.
    B-
    Short and to the point—in doing so, it leaves much unanswered. In particular, the lack of information on the relationship between the guard and the prisoner severely diminished the potency of that final charge. While the guard was relatively developed through the first-person narration, the so-called «weaver of tales» is only understood through the few spoken lines of defiance he offers. (Of some note, I found his defiance a bit too flashy—perhaps fitting for what I assume to be a bard. Personally, I have difficulty taking humour in grim situations seriously unless it is either disturbingly absurd or exceptionally dry. In this case, I feel the latter was intended; but brevity would do you well.)

From a technical perspective, the narration hold up, while not bringing anything exceptional to the table. (To wit, this is oft good; ultimately the reader is most interested in the content, not the vessel that carries it—writing too exceptional may act as more a distraction than a boon.)

As for the story, it was generally solid, though the ending was a bit unstable. It seems pointless to die only to extend another man's life a day, and as a guard himself, he seemed awfully willing to murder his peer. Without proper insight into his motives, this simply saps a bit of the meaning behind his actions.
    B
    Well-written entry, with good monologue-ing. The plot was straight-forward, not much to criticize; same with the narration.

Still, the protagonist herself seemed a bit inconsistent—switching between confidence, shyness, grief, and sadistic intent in a very short expanse of time. Some of that instability can likely be explained by the traumatic events she experienced, but it seems odd for her to become that absorbed in her story despite her regular acknowledgement of the listener through «y'know» and the like. (Ultimately, it just feels to me like she's so full of herself that it's hard to take her emotions at face value.)

(Nice title, by the way.)
    C+
    Even if one is to put aside the fact that this entry was written in the first-person, the narration seems far too conversational to convey the true impact of the events it describes. From the first paragraph it is clear that she is relating the tale retrospectively, and yet she describes it as it were occurring parallel. (This is one of the great challenges of the first-person; while it can be useful in providing a closer look from the perspective of the narrator, it is more difficult for the reader to determine the context in which it is being narrated.) That being said, the narration itself was generally solid.

The story lacks a bit in tension, in part because of how quickly it becomes apparent that the husband will die. It seems to want to focus more on her recovery, but that too is quite transient—only moments after acknowledging her dependency on drugs, she states that it is «time to stop». Because of this, the struggles she goes through afterwards seem trivial; the narrator has made it clear already that she is determined to succeed, and gave no indication that she wouldn't.

Ultimately, without much interaction to truly develop any of the characters, nor a plot structured well enough to sustain tension, it is difficult to become invested in the story.
    C-
    Though effective in conveying the needs of the story, the writing is in dire need of polish.
    • Despite supposedly being an in-universe excerpt from what can be assumed to be a history book, the narration quickly discards its omniscient perspective for one favouring Ann herself. (Certainly the author could not have known that Ann had «hoped that not too many innocents would die in the chaos»?)
    • A lot of words used in the place of similar-sounding ones—«weighted» should be weighed, «rise» should be raise.
    • Quotation marks for mocking emphasis are good once; if used nearly every time, as was the case for «"soldiers"», it just starts to be distracting.
    • While dialogue tags diminished the damage, dialogue should be separated into distinct paragraphs between speakers.
    • Dialogue itself feels unnaturally scripted, especially in the midst of battle or the fear of death. (Censoring the curse words was unnecessary, but I'll permit it.)
    • Run-on sentences, clauses not delineated by commas, and even a surplus of clauses in general made many sentences drag out.
    Ultimately, what sets this entry back is not so much the quality of its writing, however. Instead, it lies in the construction of the story itself.

Throughout, the setting and plot both seem to bend to the will of the protagonist, Ann. A clear underdog, she is nonetheless more powerful than any other character in the setting—more powerful even than mages, or demons that had never before been killed. None of the other characters have any impact—they seem to be introduced in the spur of the moment, often to be killed off shortly afterwards. (Notably, this has the added disadvantage of making it difficult to care about any of the supporting cast—and if we don't care about them, their deaths too lack impact.) As the story progresses, she only grows more powerful, even so much that she is apparently capable of negating the magic of multiple Demon Lords, despite only having the core of a mere demon herself.

When a character is incapable of failure, it becomes nearly impossible to maintain any tension or investment in the characters.

(Despite all this, all say the following: I did find the entry entertaining. There were elements of the setting that left me wanting for more, and the plot could have been captivating with more polish.)
    C+
    An interesting sci-fantasy setting, but despite the opening exposition, little is actually revealed about it. The summoned monsters, the mages, the Rodians—all mentioned, but neither described nor expanded upon. Still, it is clearly a fictional setting—so when references to our own pop culture, geography, and religion start to rear their head, it becomes difficult to reconcile it with the rest.

This is especially significant during Lucy's out-of-body experience. The switch between a jungle battlefield and apparently an Egyptian goddess was jarring, to say the least. In addition, there wasn't any indication prior that he was a religious man, bearing a religious symbol—save, perhaps, the fleeting reference to Van Helsing.

Beyond that, conflict seemed to move at a breakneck pace, but not in a tense manner. Their careful plan didn't see a second of action, interrupted by the teleporter (who it would have been nice to learn more about) before it could be set in place. The rescue itself was hardly touched upon, their argument in the jungle was resolved easily, and the ambush in the opening scene was too jumbled to set up any tension.

That being said, the four survivors made for an interesting and dynamic cast in the few moments they had to bounce off one another, and the narration itself was effective.
    B+
    Very strong entry, with a welcome fresh take on the contest prompts. (There was a moment when Sven leaned close to the road and I thought he was going to get run over—entirely because of the expectations set up by the prompts, of course. Probably the most tense moment I experienced in the entries so far!) The narration is particularly well constructed; the varying of paragraph length between long and short allowed for far more narrative tension then might have been expected from such a peaceful story. (Not the same tension I mentioned just above, of course; merely a desire to learn more.) The use of repetition and parallel structure, such as in «[…] he was excited. Really excited.» and «They were going to […]» were also a nice touch.

The protagonist himself was very relatable and well developed—he never felt inconsistent or out of place for his age. There is truly little to criticize in this entry—it can perhaps only be faulted for a lack of ambition. (And that might just be its charm.)
    C+
    Another interesting take on the process behind the scenes of death—though from the readers' perspective many details of the setting are left unclear, such as the purpose of the jury or the nature of the character known as «Death».

It seems odd that the judge and drill sergeant both fail to consider initially that Calvin might be oblivious to the situation he finds himself in. Both acknowledge the fact that they should have explained earlier, but didn't due to some oversight—an oversight that one would assume to have been addressed after the countless others they must have processed. (This was a perfect case for free scripted exposition!)

Onto more technical matters.

The rapidity with which scenes transitioned was jolting—if one scene can achieve multiple things, it pays to allow it to do so. Otherwise, in such short doses, it becomes difficult to convey true progression in the character. (This is less of an issue once the protagonist actually dies, however. Perhaps because those initial snapshots were not the focus of the entry itself, and instead just a manner of introducing Calvin.) There was also something of a jolting tonal shift between the intense scenes of depression—(more on that below)—and the casual judge of the afterlife. Indeed, the entire setting of the afterlife clashes with the initial setup. It is not a major issue here, but misleading readers can have poor results in longer works.

Finally, the narration is too descriptive, and not in the sense that it is describing things unnecessarily or for too long. Instead, the manner it is written seems to be attempting to jam as many fancy words into a small space as possible—all is good in moderation. Sometimes, the description served no purpose; «Music of no particular genre […]» is no more detailed than just «music». Similarly, ofttimes there are words stacked together that ultimately convey the same meaning, such as «[…] echoes, reverberating vibrations […]» or «[…] drips small droplets […]». And yet, for the most part, it is less due to specific missteps than it is just the density with which the heavily stylistic descriptions are used. A beautifully formed sentence is far more effective when placed amidst the plain.

That all being said, Calvin and Rosalie were both given time to shine (though I'll note Kristopher's squad felt a bit flat) and the former of the two came to terms with a key lesson. Good use of character development to help the reader grow attached to the protagonist.
    B
    A lot of action packed into one scene—the narration does a good job of developing Kodora in such a short span, through brief touches on his habits and intentions. Still, with only such a small snapshot, it is difficult to come to terms with the setting. Asashimo is barely introduced, and her magic comes out of nowhere without any explanation as to its limitations. (There is also little info on what events set the story in motion, either. We know Kodora heard Haruki's cry, but did Asashimo, or anyone else? How did she know where to go?)

As for the narration, it generally handled the balance between description and action well. Beyond the many typos, however, it also suffered from a bit of seemingly unintentional repetition. For example, phrases like «[…] mind failing as his body failed [COLOR=888][…][/COLOR]» or «[…] crept into his mind soundlessly, prodding his mind gently […]» use the same words in very close proximity. There was also a sequence where as was used in almost every sentence: «[…] as she laid […]», «[…] [COLOR=996]as she poured[/COLOR] [COLOR=888][…][/COLOR]», «[…] as his body […]», «[…] as Asashimo pulled […]». (There may also have been a tad too many adverbs; avoid using more than one per sentence.)

Finally, the entry ended a bit abruptly. Though seemingly aiming for a cliffhanger, there wasn't any immediate tension to make it effective—only a tinge of horror on Kodora's part. The entry was fairly strong in its middle, but it is typically the end that should stick.
    C+
    The entry did a good job of characterizing its narrator, and stuck to its guns throughout. Ultimately, it was only tangentially a story, predominantly focusing on the insight the narrator draws from his experiences and current situation. Considering the nature and presentation of this insight, this can alienate a number of readers—and also prevents the entry from establishing any tension. (Above the other entries, I feel my ability to critique this is tainted by my personal tastes in this regard.)

The writing itself was effective, if a bit conversational despite its grim subject. Still, there were a number of run-on sentences, such as the following: «The "secret therapist" once classified me as a low-functioning sociopath, I guess in contrast to a high-functioning one, though even then, I have to question the accuracy of that.» At the very least, the second comma should be replaced with either a semi-colon or an em-dash—but that one sentence could have easily been split into three.
    C
    A very short entry, and as is typical for such length, the progression of the protagonist moves rather quickly. Though, in fact, Tyler does not progress far from his initial state of grief, this is perhaps fitting; the grief itself seems to be the focus of the entry, rather than the recovery.

It is a little odd that the apparent perspective switches between three characters in such a short entry. The first switch was fine, as it helped convey the shock of Abigail's death—the readers were effectively seeing the world through what Tyler imagined to be her eyes. The second was a bit less fluid—it would have been more fitting to keep his mother's internal feelings in a separate paragraph from Tyler's realization of her presence.

Ultimately, there is little to criticize and little to praise in such a short entry.
    C-
    (A note of warning—I am not as apt in the critique of poetry. Especially relatively irregularly structured ones such as this.)

Filled with half-truths and corrections, it is somewhat difficult to determine that which is actually occurring in the poem. (If Sarah is Lily's daughter, and Lily his wife, who is River? As far as I can tell, a mistress.)

In addition, it meanders throughout the verses—with line break ofttimes cutting a sentence in half. This is both jarring and confusing to read, and without any apparent purpose.

(Sorry, I've little else to say.)
    A-
    (I think it clear that you do not need my help—so I've little to say in my critique.)

The writing is superb—any fleeting errors that might be drawn to attention were isolated, not chronic ailments. Perhaps the only fault lies in the lack of exposition. Very little is explained about why Sera challenged the Prince, though the few details provided are enough to get the gist. More importantly, the character of Ser Lorel is only shallowly characterized, which makes it a little difficult to truly relate to Sera's desire to kill him.

Her thirst for survival, however, is quite understandable.

Had there been more information on the setting and characters offered, this could make for an epic story—as it stands, it is still very, very good.
    B-
    A decent entry, with good description and writing. (There was a bit too much jargon at the beginning, however; not being a military enthusiast in any capacity, it was very confusing at first. I didn't figure out what a «helo» was until halfway through.) It falls behind, however, in the framework of the story.

Details were not forthcoming. Amidst the military jargon, allusions to the CSJ—be it the Cross of St. James or the Confederacy of Scepter of Judah—and the royalty of New Sonora were not easily grasped. This was worsened by mentions of real locations and cultures, which were then blended into fictional nations without explanation. These details were crucial to understanding Cross's motivations, and the exposition that reveals them came far too late.

Perhaps the greatest fault of this entry then is pacing. Almost immediately, Cross's whole squad is wiped out, long before the reader had any chance to actually start to care about any of them. (Out of the blue shocker kills can be effective at conveying the hopelessness of a situation—but seeing as Cross never seemed to care about his subordinates either, that did not come across.) This is followed by drawn-out scenes of Cross doing very little, followed by a resolution that come from nowhere. All of this sapped the tension the story might present.

Related to this, there was a distinct lack of character agency. Cross's men did nothing to cause the helicopter to explode, it just did. When Cross took a rest in the cavern, long after the explosions had dwindled away from focus in the story, another rock-slide came along to seal him in. And stuck inside, he did nothing to help his escape; neither were the King's actions in saving him (or himself) ever described. Ultimately, readers relate to stories because of the people living them—if none of the characters have any effect on the story, they might as well not have been there, and therefore it will not be as compelling.

Again, the writing itself was fine; but the story could have been constructed better.
    B
    Despite being very slow, this entry is nonetheless very well written. The character of both father and son are wonderfully conveyed through their interactions—and the dialogue is oddly insightful.

Still, it is very slow—the dialogue is very simple and oft repetitive; the segregation of speech and narration prevents either from supporting the other; and the next-to-no actions taking place ensure that no tension can string the reader along.

It is endearing, perhaps even deep, but can only do so much to keep the reader interested without a plot.
    B
    Great characterization throughout—(though Trey did come across as a bit too detached from the situation during his assassination: groaning «"Aw shit,"» and the rest that followed fits more with what I came to expect of the narration than the dialogue)—and with a captivating twist. The tone switched a bit abruptly when Quentin began to reveal the supposed existence of magic, diminishing the impact of that particular twist, but the following regression of Trey along the same lines was able to profit from the earlier sacrifice. (Though I'll admit, Rob being the devil did seem a bit random.)

Of course, while the first-person narration did help with the often tongue-in-cheek tone of the entry, the occasional switches to third-person were very jarring. It is best to stick to one or the other—drawing attention to a breach of etiquette makes it no less distracting. (The parentheses were also distracting. A few would be fine, but because the text was already self-aware in the standard narration, many were deprived of their purpose.)

(As a final note, the use of a plural pronoun to denote Blue was a bit off-putting—I understand it is handy to combat gendered language where gender is not required, but I am naturally conservative.)

Though I did not have the opportunity to vote, what my choice ought to have been should be clear.

As a final note, the only people I'd feel particularly interested in revealing my entry to already know which one it is. For the purposes of these reviews, I doubt revealing myself would benefit anyone—even if I make some of the same mistakes, that does not make them any less in error.

If you truly must know, however, it shouldn't be hard to determine for yourself.

Last edited:
You review is still useful to me, though, and I thank you for it.

(Of some note, I found his defiance a bit too flashy—perhaps fitting for what I assume to be a bard.
That's actually exactly what the prisoner was, a bard! ^_^ His words are what got him in trouble.

Thanks for the review!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.