Martini and Salsa 1.5: Sent a spy to catch a break

He did up his seat belt when the light back on the the air hostesses began walking up and down the isle.

"As I said you earned it, and It wouldn't be as much fun alone." He finished his iced tea and stowed the cupholder. While exiting there wasn't much time to talk, though again their IDs seemed to ease their passage though customs. Josh however was taken aside and spoken to by one of the customs officers. It didn't look like trouble and the conversation took all of 20 seconds before he was able to collect his suitcase and meet up with Cynthia.

Once he had done so he slipped the ring from his finger and put it in his pocket.

"Well we have a few hours before the ship departs. Welcome to the Bahamas!"

"Thank you," Cynthia said with a grin. "We should find a place to have a drink that has a good view of, well, anything." Cynthia might have been wanting to get to look around, but knew with their luggage there would be little they would want to do until they boarded the ship. Still even just getting a chance to look around a little and see the bustle of tourist would be fun.

Once they started walking so they could catch a cab she tilted her head. "So what was that about?" It couldn't have too important, but that the officer wanted to talk to Josh at all made her curious. Maybe it was a formality, she didn't know after all.

He looked at her and walked next to her closer so he could drop his voice. "It was about the gun in my bag." he said "I decided not to conceal it in the interests of this not being a mission." he said quietly. "And theres a place we can get drinks not far from the ship, we'll be able to watch the harbor.." he sounded like he had been here before and knew the area, but maybe he had just done his research before coming.

He hailed a cab and put their bags in the boot before getting in and talking to the driver in rapid Bahamian and they were off, both in the back seat.

"Like most countries the drivers charge less it you speak the language." he said "Spy travel guide 101."

"I'll have t keep that in mind," Cynthia said with a grin. As they drove along she noticed that the rules of the road were a tab bit looser here then back hope, and yet they got to their destination in one piece. When they got out, Cynthia took a deep breath of the sea air. Out here the sea air seemed different. Not just from LA, but from California in general.

Once Josh paid the cabby they walked into a little shack like building. It was sturdy enough, but the siding had been slightly neglected and the place seemed to be just a bit understated. It was one of those places the locals didn't mind going to, knowing the food was always good, and would take traveling relatives. Them and the lucky traveler with the know we're the only ones that would usually stop there mostly. It wasn't empty for the lack of tourist though.

They were greeted at the door and offered a table out on the patio. As Josh had promised they could see the harbor.

This was where Josh had been stationed before he had met Cynthia, before he had been recalled to LA, and he looked surprisingly at home here, though you could thrown an experienced agent into a place he'd never been and he'd look like he belonged. Being a human chameleon was part of the job.

"There she is." he said pointing out over the harbor "Where we'll be sleeping for the next few nights, our floating palace with room for rent." he said as the ship lay off in the deep waters of the harbor. "We'll have to get to her by boat but they have those that will take us there..." he sighed. "I've never been on one of her class before.."

He sat and ordered himself a drink, something fruity and alcoholic, he preferred to maintain a tolerance to alcohol by drinking occasionally so he didn't get drunk easily when a cover forced him to drink. He also had oxygen pills that helped.

"I hope you don't get seasick easily."

Cynthia went for something cold and frothy, with just enough alcohol in it that she wouldn't want to try to drink a second one unless she had nothing else to do. There was still a lot to do today, and even if that were not the case she hadn't been one to get drunk purposely on a regular bases. In fact with all that had happened lately she had not had a drop of liquor in months.

When Josh pointed out the boat Cynthia found she had not quite imagined the size properly. While Josh might have jokenly called it a palace, it looked more like a floating city. There would be no end of things to do on that monster. Glancing at her partner she had a thought that perhaps this was something he had wanted to try for a time now. If that was the case it was another stitch of personality and humanity that she was getting to know.

"No, I can't say I've suffered from that ailment fortunately." Cynthia poked at her drink for a bit with her straw before taking a sip. It was almost too cold. It was completely worth it though. "Are there any activities you know you'll want to try?"

Josh took another sip of his drink and was about to answer when hos phone started to vibrate. He looked at the number and stood walking to the edge of the patio and sat on the railing facing away from Cynthia.

"Orange, dearest of all my friends... you're slipping."

"And you're slower, I was expecting your call as soon as we left the airport."

"I was trying to figure out why you're here, and who you're with.. I don't like you springing surprises on me."

"There no surprises to spring, I'm on holiday, not slipping. I'm not hiding because theres nothing to hide."

"I know you better than that... Agent Orange does not take breaks or holidays."

"Its Martini now, and I do. There was an incident in LA and I needed to get away."

"And the girl....?"

"My new partner, a rookie, she saved my life and I'm thanking her. Off limits."

"You know me, so long as you're here on pleasure I insist on a drink as soon as your little pleasure cruise is over, no saying no."

The line went dead and Josh slipped the phone away before returning to the table. "Turns out the underground know we're here, he just gave me a call and invited us for drinks."

Cynthia lifted an eyebrow, for some reason this surprised her. She realized it was that they were invited for drinks that caught her attention. "I see, so when is this little drink date?" She wasn't upset by the idea that there was going to be an interruption of their holiday, especially if it was a casual affair. Disappointed perhaps, but not upset. She got the feeling that it was to be expected there would be some sort of interruption no matter where they went, it was just the manner of the interruption. If drinks with some shady guy Josh knew from work was all that happened it was then a very successful vacation.

Looking out at the boat and the sky Cynthia reminded herself just to enjoy the moment, because the moment was the only thing she could be sure of. Glancing over at her partner she amended that thought, she could be sure of Josh as well.

"Not until after the cruise." Josh replied "Hes a valuable contact to the agency and knows almost everything that goes on from here to central America and Florida. We keep him in check with the face that several other agencies including Mi6 and the FBI would loooove to knew where he is." Josh shot her a grin, "Its not the healthiest relationship but it works."

He picked up his drink and drained the glass "He saved my life in Sao Paulo once so a drink is the least I owe him."

He changed the subject, back to their holiday "Haven't really had time to think about it. "I haven't had a vacation since I joined, never really saw the need. And the overtime pay was nice, without a house or car of my own or anything to spend money on it saves well too. I'm treating myself, and you."

Cynthia considered what Josh said about the contact. It sounded like this contact would be interesting if nothing else, but she was extremely glad to hear they were not meeting him tonight at least.

When Josh brought up not having a vacation since joining she blinked. This was not what she was expecting at all. Then she realized the events that lead to her being here now were not normal even in the world of spies. Still though... "All work and no play, I think this might explain more of my first impression of you then anything else," she said with a teasing smile before taking another sip of her drink.

"Being kidnapped from an airport by a man referring to you by a food that would not make a good pet name couldn't have gotten me any points." he said, "It wouldn't have happened if he'd had better records that hadn't been destroyed. Lena, did a good job."

He looked down at his empty glass and turned it in his hands but didn't order another. He wouldn't until they were sitting on their balcony on the ship, if that.

"I'm glad you decided to stay though, I'd have understood if you never wanted to see any of us, our world again, its not for everyone. Especially the not trusting anyone you don't hold anything above the heads of... Not everyone has the head, or the heart for it."

He looked at the glass a moment longer tapping his nail against the glass. "Why did you decide to stay?"

"Why'd I stay?" Cynthia leaned back with her own drink, though she didn't take a sip. "Well I wanted to see the conclusion." That didn't really answer the question he was asking though. "I don't know that it's a good reason, but I couldn't settle back into my old life. I thought about. Especially when Daddy shackled me to the desks. Granted I had a lot of time to think about a lot of things at the time. "

Cynthia took a long sip of her drink before she continued. "It's not even that I have a small amount of talent for what we do, though that helps. I mean I could out those skills to use elsewhere. In all honesty I should have been doing more with my life before now instead of just skating by." She shrugged her shoulders, knowing full well she was tip toeing into a self pity trip. "I guess, in the end I like it. Hopefully I can keep my head in it."

With that she drank down the last of her beverage. "Besides, I sorta like who I got partnered up with."

The last reason made him smile. "Its good to know I'm more than just a suit." he said letting go of his glass and leaning back. "And you don't know everything there is to know about our job, Például, ha megkérdezném, hogy a tánc, mit tennél?" he grinned again moving on without waiting for a reply. "Its not like in the books or movies and most of the time you hope it doesn't get as exciting as LA was. We're spies after all, not assassins.. not all the time."

He looked out over the harbor and down at the ship. 'You're a shadow now, you don't exist, like me. It has its perks and its costs but I'm sure you know that. And we can get you a new name if you ever want to retire."

"I could live with things never being quite that exciting again." She still missed her apartment she realized. It wasn't all that great of an apartment, but it was her home, and now it was rubble.

Cynthia was more then willing to learn what she didn't know, but she was also good at making intuitive guesses. "Even retirement has no guarantees, does it?"

Not that it mattered now. She hadn't really a chance to say no to this life, despite the fact that Josh had giver her that opertunity when he found her at Lena's house. No, she was for better or worse her father's daughter, but she survived her first brushes with this life, now she just had to make sure to stay on top of what she had to know. At least she had a good mentor, and friend.

"Daddy has retires twice." he said "Both times less than a month."

He shook his head. "You'll do fine, once your training is over you'll be as equipped to handle yourself as I was." he checked the time "We should head down to the ship soon and settle in, theres a dance on board tonight, nothing too fancy, live band, ballroom affair. If you've got something to wear I'd like to be there with you, and if you don't then they should have something for sale on the ship. So how about it, treat a spy to a dance?"

Even as a spy it was clear he had been waiting to ask that question without the facade, when he relaxed he was surprisingly human. Maybe all agents were, just afraid to show it.

Twice? Cynthia wondered if one of those times was was when her father, Daddy's partner, had been killed. They had been good friends, it was obvious to Cynthia, as was the guilt. She never talked to Daddy about the events that lead to her father's death but between what Martini had told her and Daddy's reaction around her during the whole Cardinal affair, it was obvious she felt she should have been able to prevent his death.

At Josh's request Cynthia smiled in a delightful surprise. This was the last thing she expected from her partner, but not an unpleasant surprise at all. She didn't have to think about her answer as she looked at him. "I'm pretty sure I have a dress that would work, and I'd be delighted to dance with you."

With that she stood up and grabbed her suitcase. Next stop, cruise ship!

He stood and headed back though the restaurant to the street and towards the dock. "Excellent.. since I already got us tickets." he said grinning as they began their trip down to the docks, onto a hire boat and out to the ship. Security and one of the officers greeted them and pointed them towards their two bedroom suite on the upper decks. Josh declined help to carry his bag and lead the way up to where they'd be sleeping the key given to him by the crew in his hand.

The suite looked more like it belonged in a hotel than a ship despite the vaguely nautical theme with a balcony overlooking the sea, a bathroom, two bedrooms and a living area.

"Well here we are." he said leaving his suitcase in the living room and taking a look around "Our home for the next few days.. the dance is at nine so..." he looked out at the sun as it crept lower to the mountains on the island. "Sunset on the balcony? Relax into our vacation.. whats what people do on these things right? Relax?"

Cynthia looked at Josh and tried to hide a snicker behind her balled up hand. She then took command of most of her amusement, though there was still a slight twinkle in her eyes. "Yes, relax. You know, get away from work. Enjoy the peace and quiet." The rookie wondered if these all sounded like foreign concepts to Josh. It didn't matter, if he allowed himself to relax a little it would...

... And she blinked as she realized that she was wrong. He couldn't allow himself to relax, because that resembled being lax to him, and that and it's partner sloppy thinking was the sort of things that got agents killed. Relaxing didn't mean having to be conquer able though, right?

"I'm guessing you took your time picking this destination, right?" Maybe instead of trying to force him to relax, she should apply to his more analytical side. He surely chose this spot because he knew the area and there was minimual threat here. He might not be able to completely relax, but if he could stand down from being hyper aware like he had to have been for all those months in LA that would be enough.

Cynthia lifted her suitcase in one of the beds and opened it up, taking out a hot pink sleeveless dress. It was a bit more bold and daring then she was use to, but this was vacation, right?

He shot her a long glance. "Like I said I used to be stationed out here, I know the ins and outs and the players. And everything I don't know I know who knows." he said. "And if theres anything big going on then Daddy will warn us. But the only thing we have to worry about is Task force 15 that we'll be passing day after tomorrow. Remember to wave."

He had proven her point. He had spent at least a night going over the latest reports from the area before he had chosen it to holiday in. "And I miss the place, hardly anyone shot at me here, and when they did it was usually because I shot first." it could have been a joke, if Josh did those.

"Besides we're not here to work. We're here to... vacation." It struck Josh that he had no idea what people did on those... but that wouldn't stop him from not working and spending time with Cynthia... and definitely not working.

Cynthia hung the dress on the bathroom door so she could get to it in a whole to change the walked over and sat on the edge of the bed just grinning at Josh. She had to commend his effort, despite his inability to relax yet, he genuinely wanted to try. It was, well endearing.

"Tell you what, I'll get us a pitcher of water and we can sit out and enjoy the sunset and you can tell me a story from your childhood," she purposely went there because if she could get him to talk about simpler times maybe he could stop feeling like he was fighting to not work. Instead he could just be Josh, whoever Josh was when he wasn't wearing a suit and didn't have to worry about his back.

Which when he was more relaxed she might ask him about. No, maybe she'd wait until they were back. Asking about how he dealt with being on the field without a partner when she showed up was stressful just for her to think about. "After all I've told you a few of my stories."