Martini and Salsa 1.5: Sent a spy to catch a break

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
He was slowly realizing what was going on, the world shifting into focus for the briefest moment. She was asking if he was physically of doing it alone. But the real question that sadly, on perhaps fortunately never entered his head was could he leave her behind. He was still compelled to tell the truth, and the truth to the question of finding the British fleet and joining up with them was. "Yes... I can."

Navigation of a lifeboat in a storm, without radar, without the stars, without help...

He focused on the boats, getting there with the picking sea. He say nothing but them, leaving Cynthia behind and using the wall to move to the door that would lead out into the storm. Then he turned and looked at her. She wouldn't be coming, she wouldn't be joining him?

"Scream for help." he said "Raise the alarm..."

Hen he opened the door and exited into the storm the howling gale and high seas preventing him from hearing any reply.

Cynthia gripped the railing as he opened the door, she might have needed the stability from the rolling waves, but moreso something to grip, to remind her not to take another step. Cynthia turned after he took two steps out. He was doing his job, she needed to do hers. With a deep breath she went to cause a bit of havoc.

By this point in the storm she saw noone near enough to the main computer room, not far off from where the ship's captain would be piloting. Maximum damage, minimum effort. The best thing to take out would be the radar.

The idea was simply a fire, in a storm this size, a ship this age, all the modifications, something, somewhere would get loose. Cynthia just made sure it was helped along. Debris, hot wires, oh yes there was now lots of smoke. She waited a few moments more before she headed out and started jibbering to the first crew me member she saw, then the second, and the third.

The waves crashed over the railing and washed over Josh. You'd have to be insane to try to put a boat out in this weather. Insane or an angels with nothing to loose. As the wind stung his skin he was aware enough to know he was mentally compromised. That means the Cynthia was in charge. Her asking him if he could escape alone were as good as orders in his book. There would only be one reason for her to give orders. She had a plan.

He also knew he would probably remember none of this. So he didn't waste thought trying. There was only one thought on his mind. His orders. Repeated over and over again as much mantra as instruction. He made his way around to the leeward side of the ship and slowly cranked down a lifeboat with himself in it, then bobbing up and down in the storm he turned on the motor and left the ship behind, his partner behind.

Someone finally realized she shouldn't be walking around, and despite the storm and their eventual objective, knew enough to take her to Underground, who was indeed in the pilot's compartment with the captain. The look of boiling anger that her expression showed when the Russian looked at her had the look of barely being controlled. This was hot anger, the type that produced sudden violent reactions.

"He's gone," Cynthia said before the sly criminal could say anything himself. "He's gone and didn't need me. Expendable. You're not even surprised, are you?" Cynthia clutched her fist more then once in her short explanation, with bitterness in her voice. With so many things happening all at once, Cynthia thought she had a chance of pulling this off without a problem. If his focus was completely on her and the situation he would be too shrewd, but on the same token this is exactly what Underground wanted.

He had been about to half gloat half accuse her but she took the first away from him and running purely with the second would put her on unfriendly terms with him so he settled with smiling as the rain pounded against the glass. "Hes not going to survive out there for long, not with whats in his system." he began. "I was expecting him to wait until he had a better chance of survival but I guess he knew I wasn't going to give him the chance. Either way hes gone and does not know where we're going. SO that leaves just you and me."

He leaned back being as casual as one could on a pitching ship. "And since you're on the market I'd like you to work for me. Your first order is to tell be what happened. I'm sorry but under the circumstances I can't allow you to refuse."

Cynthia frowned at him and was silent for a moment, she wanted him to think she was weighing her options, though Underground pointed out she really had none. She then sighed and shrugged. "At least you seem to think I'm worth keeping around, which in my book makes you more intelligent then him."

"You want to know how it went down? Fine," she said with a small smirk. "It's not that interesting of a story however." Cynthia then glanced around, just because she was going to give Underground the information didn't mean she was going to do it in public. She lifted an eyebrow. It was his move now.

He stood and spoke to the captain "Jdu dále" before turning back to Cynthia. "We'll go to my cabin, you must be hungry and in spite of the storm I've had something prepared for us. You will find I'm generous to those who please me." he said as they descended and entered his cabin. Everything was secured so that nothing could come loose int he storm and there were slats on the table to stop dishes falling off. "You're not seasick, that impresses me, you also have a natural talent... in many ways... and I do not waste talent."

He invited her to sit before he did so himself. "So which first, business or pleasure?"

Cynthia sat down and gave Lemkov a smile, it was somewhat more expressive then before, but she wanted to still make him think she was guarded. She had just been betrayed once as far as the Russian was concerned, she wouldn't be trusting of anyone or anything, which shouldn't be too much a problem for him.

Looking at him from acrossed the table she tilted her head. "I would much prefer to enjoying things without having the looming knowledge of dull business that still needed to be resolved. Still, there is no reason not to enjoy dinner as we talk. Afterwards...," she spread her arms.

He smiled, interpreting her words as he chose to. "I like a woman who likes to be able to take her time with pleasure." he said sitting down and waking her to her seat. "To business then." he said "I think the storm is beginning to abate anyway. So we will see if anything remains of you former partner. But let us talk about us. You're talented if raw. I could teach you the game and so much more. You would be my right hand. I could use some intelligence around here in case you hadn't noticed. Moreso when it comes with a great pair of legs."

He pulled a bottle of vodka from a rock along with two glasses and pored them both some. "Awkward with the weather but I always believe in starting a talk by either giving or sharing something. And Maybe getting a little drunk would do us both good when it comes to the pleasure."

Cynthia imagined pulling the bottle from his hand and hitting him in the head with his vodka. It was the type of imagery she needed to be able to smile at his complement. At the moment all she could do is play for time, and she had every intention to keep on playing for that time until she found a new opertunity to exploit or Josh did something. She could only hope he made it to the Illustrious, but she couldn't rely on it.

She took the glass and had a small sip and then held it and looked at the Russian criminal, the one that was blind to the fact that he had made a move that would alert their agency something was terribly amiss. Martini had delt with him a lot and ignored the illegal activities because he was useful. By being overly paranoid about the spy, even if Martini didn't survive the ocean, even if she didn't make it off the ship in a timely manner, by morning Daddy would know something was wrong and with what Josh had learned over drinks, and the news that will have finally filtered out, because the actions on the island could not stay secrete for long, well, it was going to make Underground's life hell.

"Seems I get some real training finally then." She looked at her glass, a thoughtful expression on her face, then at Underground. "I don't trust you, but at least you make sense."

"Never trust anyone, I don't." he said swirling the clear liquid in his glass. "And I wouldn't call myself trustworthy, but I would call myself reliable. So long as you are useful to me, or enjoyable." he didn't eve hie where his eyes went with the last word. "I see you being very enjoyable." He took a sip, barely getting his lips wet clearly wanting her to get more intoxicated than he did. "But you will be trained, and you will be looked after. With all his men behind us I am free to move against the duke and take his position at the head of the organization. I will need people like you around me."

The motion beneath him was sluggish and sickening, the smell, dead wood and rotten fish turned his stomach. He was lying on a fallen log that moved with he waved of the sea that although softened by the mangrove swamp could still be felt. Groaning he slipped from the log the water coming up to his elbows as he knelt, hands on the muddy bottom. He could feel the creatures of the swamp wracking over his hands.

A laugh.

He looked up, green mist coating the water, clinging to is like moss, wispy tendrils snaking up the black trees and as he looked down his arms as well.

Another laugh, her laugh.

She stood, water running for beneath his armor and looked. A silhouette in the darkness. Robes their bottoms in the water, a pointed spear in one hand.

"Joshua, is that you?"

"Kynthia?"

She was closer now he could see her shape beneath the robes, the shape he had once thought to see without them but that had lead to..

"You destroyed out order Joshua. Killed Father and all the rest. One selfish act and everything we have done other a thousand years was undone. I never got to take the colors. You knew that was my dream. You tool it from me. You traitor."

He was unarmed. But he would never raise a weapon to her. The spearhead was coming down as she gripped the shaft on both hands.

"Kynthia I only wanted to love you."

"Love?"

There was the ringing or metal as we watched the shattered pieces of his breastplate spin a dozen arcs though the air. Her hood has fallen back and there was a look of cold satisfaction on her face. He could see the shaft of the spear extending outwards from his chest in the strait line as with a splash he fell to his knees.

"Can a man with a thousand faces even feel love?"

"Hes stable and waking up, did you run his ID?"

"There was no need, we got a call from LA. We are to do what he asks, this man is now in command of task force 36. So get him on his feet ASAP."

Cynthia moved her hand, the sound of ice hitting glass, the soft sloshing of liquid. Those sounds were soft and barely audible with the storm raging outside. "It seems I lucked out then. Sounds like the start of something exciting,"she gave another grin and a small sip. Then sat the glass between her hands and leaned back.

There was only one way for her to keep the situation manageable, she was going to have to be curious. He might want to have more pleasure then business right now, but Cynthia was going to have to get him to play her own game. Right now she had to just worry about the current move though, and adapt as she went along. "So what are we doing right now? Oh and I mean the ship," she grinned. It was not for his response that she tilted her head, was there something else outside beside the storm?

"Oh you expect me to tell you everything off the bat?" he smiled. "You'll go far but you won't get anything out of me, not yet, I'll let you watch from my side." he smirked. "So any other questions?" he looked at her with the expression of a hawk unaware that a pine of destroyers with active radar were close to picking up his ship, and that aboard one of them two dozen heavily armed men were going over every detail of his ship's blueprints. Ignorance was bliss.

"I will tell you thins, I am a powerful man, about to become more powerful. Your former employers need me too much to come after me or anyone close to me but would thank me if I were to say... hand over a rogue agent. What is it that was about all work and no play... hmm...?"

His ship was a blip on a radar screen, an objective. The men focused on it, royal marines and one international superspy.

Cynthia lifted an eyebrow. "You play for keeps don't you? You have cornered me quite well. That's been happening a lot to me lately." Cynthia was having a hard time here. Adaptability only got you so far after all. She did know though that keeping his ego in check would piss him off, so she had to keep inflating it.

A smirk played on her face as she looked at him. "You are powerful though, and it doesn't seem you will be sitting around after this." Cynthia started to lean back in. "I get it. You don't need me, but I don't need to be reminded twice. So do we have any more business?" Another sip, another smile, and the thought that she needed a better plan.

He leaned forwards his eyes drifting down her as a grin spread across his lips. "I don't believe we do." he said taking a sip from his glass. "So do you need to freshen up before coming back here or do you like it dirty?" he asked his eyes on her watching for any expression, any at all as in the storm two boats were put out to board either side of his ship simultaneously.

He waited for her reply clearly sure in his mind that within the hour he would be naked on top of her. And daring her her disagree.

"Oh no," she said, grinning wider. "I will always take the opertunity to clean up." Cynthia stood slowly. "Besides, it won't last, will it?" and with one more smirk she headed out. With the door closed an no one around Cynthia sighed, heading straight for the bathroom. There was no way she could keep up the act. He didn't even know the meaning of taking it slow! Walking back into that room she would be soon dead, her act completely exposed. She stopped into the bathroom and splashed water on her face.

It was almost ashame he gave her this beautiful opertunity to get out of here, she might still not make it out alive, but she'd take her chances. Ashame she didn't get to hit him with his vodka bottle. From the airvent she heard a distinct sound, one that gave her the feeling that her own chances just improved, that Underground was finally going to get what was coming to him, but most of all her partner was alive.

The game changed again, and Cynthia knew she could play Underground for one more act. With a smirk Cynthia headed back.

In the swells the boats lined up either side of the ship. The storm had lessened considerably but it was still useful as cover as ropes were thrown up and armored men pulled themselves up not wasting time in entering he ship and searching in a predefined pattern their MP5 SMGs loaded with hollow point rounds so that they wouldn't penetrate the hull of the ship.

In his cabin Lemkov greeted Cynthia with a smile. She came back, that obviously meant he was excused for now only being dressed in a bath robe and to be holding out a fresh glass of Vodka.

"Well now to pleasure." he said patting a place on his bunk for her to sit as some where above them the bridge was seized and most of his men herded into a holding area.

"I looks forwards to no interruptions."

Heavy boot on metal stairs, getting closer.

Cynthia walked over, the smoldering look interpreted she knew in his mind that he was to get what he desired. Little did he know the thoughts she had when she looked at him were far far different. The only reason she was there was to distract him. To keep him off guard and leave his men leaderless, though as Underground had said before, he was not very good with guns.

Sitting down she took the glass, taking a sip, a bit more then she had been, but she wasn't worried, that was going to be her last sip after all. "You shouldn't say things like that," she told him, placing a hand on his leg, her body turned to face him. "You might jinx it."

The door burst open and for a moment a man in body armor was framed in the doorway. He had a gun trained on both of them as he rushed into the room. Three others followed him in, their faces obscured by visors but the leader, his finger on the trigger of his SMG's face could clearly be seen. Josh looked down the length of his gun at the pair, sharing a drink and Lemkov undressed. The barrel of the gun moved between them as his head ren through procedure. Lemov and his men were to be handed over to the British as per their agreement but Cynthia would have to be taken in as a rogue agent. It certainly looked like she was rogue, sharing booze with the enemy leader.

"Take him.. leave her." he said to the men at his shoulders as they moved to grab Lemkov's arms and his glass shattered on the floor. And Josh's gun turned on Cynthia.

Cynthia wasn't the least surprised when the men rushed in, she after all had been waiting for it. Her expression was nuetural as the men rushed in and she watched as they grabbed Underground, half dragging him out of his room. Only then did she look at Josh.

The agent before her was pointing his gun, aimed right at her. Cynthia looked at him in surprised. She might have said it was no time for joking, but Agent Martini was not the joking sort while on a mission. And that was who was pointing the gun at her, the little too cool spy and while he was hard to read, very hard in fact, Cynthia remembered their first encounter, their first mission. In both cases he knew what he was doing, but he didn't know about her.

Which didn't make any sense, he looked clear headed now, not like when he was still in a drug hazed as she helped him off the ship. And that's when she realized it, he didn't remember. He had been drugged, and it was entirely possible he couldn't remember or at least trust what he remembered, because if he remembered everything that had happened...

Cynthia flushed the grew cold. Right now there was nothing she could say to convince him. He wasnt sure of her motives, not sure she wasn't going to try to manipulate things. Eventually she would be able to explain things. The agency was good at extracting information. All she had to do was cooperate.

Except Josh would never be able to trust her again. That, that more then anything upset her. Trust was too hard to gain, and if she lost Josh's trust, she knew that was it. She closed her eyes, resigned to the fact that she at least saved his life. The vacation, quite over, had been a fantasy. Or as he had said, the words echoing in her ears, the meaning of them now clear as she had surprised him on the ship.

"If this is a nightmare I wish I would wake up."

Hearing her own voice caused her to quickly open her eyes. Had she just ruined even her small chance to eventually explain?