Marked [EverlyxSterling]

Kassi was completely overwhelmed. Never had she seen so much talent in one room before. Her eyes flicked from one piece to another, then back again to linger and take in technique and detail. The portraits were her first interest. She was just getting into doing detailed portraits herself, and she observed the sweeping lines and shading that defined the necessary details. Most of her work had people with no true definition.. like the piece she had already given, and the one in her bag. She eyed the portraits, then moved on, eager to see more. The pieces that were near her own struck her as gorgeous. They were similar to hers, but completely different at the same time. Instead of feeling as though they paled in comparison, she felt as though they were each magnificent. In fact, the only part of the entire gallery that made her anything but happy was the marking. It made her feel wretchedly uncomfortable, so she moved on, gazing at the masks when Mikel came in.

"Alright," she agreed, giving him a smile. "I'm feeling like you made a mistake accepting my work. I'm hardly gallery caliber in comparison to all of this," she added as she followed him upstairs. This was crazy. Those pieces had probably taken people ages. She could almost feel the devotion there. Sure, she spent almost every waking moment doing something in relation to her painting, but the piece that she had given the gallery had only taken her three hours to create once she sat down with a palette knife and brush in hand. Surely Mikel did not really think that she should be here with the others.

[This is.. so short.. I am sorry x.x]

Mikel had trouble distinguishing whether Kassi was being humble or honestly did not see the value of her art. He'd have a talk with her about that, and many other things. Mikel reviewed the interview agenda in his head while they stumped up the wooden stairway. He needed to get inside this woman's head and figure out what was going on. He did, indeed, see much talent in her work. But, there remained an uneasy element in her demeanor that bothered him. Mikel could not deny that he found something attractive in Kassi's meek genuineness. She definitely harbored potential within her, the question was whether she was simply misunderstood, or somehow damaged beyond repair. He quietly prayed for the first, because realizing the second meant cutting loose a gifted woman brimming with withheld positive energy.

A silver-steel placard was mounted at the top of the steps, just before the frame leading to his office. The metal surface danced with fractured reflections from the brushed finish that enveloped a worded title. The words were laser-cut from the plate, and were voids against the solid field of steel. They read, "Mikel Stedler, Lead Curator,". Mikel motioned to the plate dismissively. "That was mounted above my office door when I worked at the Milliane Institute of Art," he explained. "I keep it for sentimental reasons." In truth, Mikel hated the position at the MIA. It was more politics and fundraising than actual curating. The fun part of displaying work was delegated by Mikel's superiors to toadies, whose ignorance was eclipsed only by their incompetence. When he left, he kept the sign as a reminder to do what feels best, and never place yourself in a professional bind. Mikel's frustrated reverie was broken by a cool draft that met their faces as they reached the office level. There was no foyer, and the steps deposited both Mikel and Kassi in the Curator's Office.

"Please, have a seat," Mikel offered. He gestured to an empty chair at a round table with two bags. Each bag was curled at the top: one bag seemed perfectly normal, but the bottom of the other bag appeared logged with grease of some type. Mikel expected this, and placed the leaking bag on a plate. "Let's get started," he said, "Gün should arrive shortly." Mikel sat in his desk chair, then rolled over to the table across from Kassi. The wall near the table was plastered with posters, postcards, and sketches of brilliant combinations. Behind Mikel was an open window, and mounted on the wall hung a steel grappling iron, rusted red with age.

Mikel opened his bag and peeked inside. "In truth, I haven't been to Tam's in almost a year. It was a chance meeting that I should have run into you." His eyes lifted from the bag to Kassi with a sly smile. "Or, should I say you ran into me?" A soft ping came from his glowing computer, and Mikel ignored the prompt, deciding to focus his attention squarely on the young woman in front of him. He pulled out his lunch, a thin bread sandwich with smoked meat sliced thin and crisp. He took a bite, and relished the flavor. How long has it been since I'd had a meal this good? he wondered. After clearing his mouth, he forced himself to adopt a more business-like bearing and began to speak.

"So, Kassi ... I'm sure you're curious why I've asked you here. Obviously, as Gallery Curator, I'm very interested in the work you left outside the door last night. We can begin price negotiations for that piece in a minute. What I really want to know is why you left it there in the first place."​

Last edited:
"I like it. It'd be better if it were more colorful, though," Kassi commented, eyeing the shining placard. It really was pretty, in its own way, but it had a cold and hard feel to it that reminded her of her school days. Oh, those were days better off forgotten! She shook her head and followed him into the office, taking a look around as she went to the seat he had gestured to. It was a nice office, she decided. Plenty to look at, not plain, yet also not cluttered. That was an issue she often had.. clutter. She would forget where she put things because other things ended up on top of them. It resulted in a lot of dried out paint and missing paintings that she would find weeks later. The only real clean room in her apartment was the kitchen, and that was because she hardly ever used it. She mentally scolded herself, sitting down and pulling out her own lunch. Perhaps she could clean later.

"Well.. I saw the sign in your window and I wanted to help. It was sort of.. on a whim, I guess. This gallery is close to where I live and I've walked by a lot but never really noticed it until I saw the sign," she explained, shrugging a little. It wasn't the best answer, but it was honest. She had seen the plea for new artists and had simply picked a piece and left it. That was it. Well, except for the whole mess of the after-leaving-it where she managed to trip in a dark alley and nearly alerted him to the fact that she was hanging around like some deranged stalker or something. Sheesh. "As for price," she added a moment later. "I do not expect payment. I was giving it to you. If you keep it or sell it, that's fine, I just wanted to help."

Though Kassi never saw herself in a charitable light, she did feel that art was something made to be shared. She had never shared it before, but this was a nice opportunity. It wasn't meant to be a ploy for money of any kind. Though she did wonder if artists paid galleries to display their work. It made sense. She thought about that for a moment, taking a bite of her salad. Oh, so good.. She missed eating real meals. Maybe she should go back to Tam's and get some real groceries at some point.. nah. They'd just spoil before she could use them. She shook her head a little, dismissing the thoughts and wondering what else Mikel could possibly want to discuss.

Mikel's reaction was nothing short of incredulous. He smiled wide, showing his straight, white teeth. The smile escaped from him, and became a breathless, mocking cough that derived from disbelief. A word began to form on his lips, but froze in mid construction. He smiled again, tilting his head as if the motion could help perceive trickery.

"You wanted to GIVE me your painting because you thought it might help?" Mikel repeated another attempt at responding, but came up mute. "Have you ever exhibited before? ... Because, there's a HUGE difference between submitting and donating. The purpose ..." Mikel stopped short, and wondered if what he was about to say would be interpreted as condescending. "You realize, of course, that the purpose of an art gallery is to exhibit art for profit? No one simply gives their work with no expectation of being compensated. I mean, ... you can donate to a museum if you wish. But, I can rattle off the names of twelve artists that would bleed dry in order to exhibit here. They need to SUBMIT their work, and my job is to decide if the quality and content is worth presenting ... because, MY reputation is also on the line, as well."

He stopped, fearing he had overstepped himself. Another ping broadcasted from his computer, and he ignored it. Mikel sighed to clear the confusion and regain his bearings. "Alright, let me re-frame this conversation ... I am in need of good artwork, and the painting you donated, ..." Mikel had to reset his speech pattern momentarily, "fits the bill perfectly. In fact, I'm interested in having your painting be the primary piece in my upcoming exhibition. Would you be amenable to that?"

Kassi tilted her head at him, uncertain. His reaction was.. odd. She didn't understand why he seemed so confused by what she had done. Of course she knew that galleries were around for selling art work. That was obvious. Perhaps he thought she was an idiot.. but, perhaps not. He seemed just as lost as she was at this point. Donating to a museum? Now that was just silly. She shook her head with a bit of a smile and was going to say something, but then he started over and asked her about an exhibition. That was like a show, right? Huh. That would be pretty neat.

"Sure," she said, half shrugging and giving him a smile. "I do know what a gallery is for, by the way. That's why I said you could sell it. I just don't want the profits from it if anybody does decide they want it," she added, content to simply munch on her salad after that. What an odd conversation this was turning out to be! She wondered if he would start choking if she mentioned she had brought along another piece. Hmm.. best to keep it to herself and not risk it.

Something was unraveling deep within Mikel. Though he could not understand it, he could feel it, and it gnawed at the hardness encasing his heart. Kassi's words left him a bit entranced, ... somehow.

"Of course you know what a gallery is for. Please forgive me, this is all very unusual." Mikel decided it might be best to address this woman in small steps. Perhaps over time, he could cobble together a sense of what made Kassi tick. Her agreement in participating in the exhibition gave him hope, but her insistence to waive all profits still left him confused to the point of uneasiness. Then, something occurred to Mikel that hadn't before.

What if ... What if she's just an utterly selfless person?

The thought made Mikel's stomach roil with emotion. He found it hard to look at her, for some reason. She seemed to emit an aura he hadn't noticed before.

"Well, I WANT to thank you somehow for your generosity. In place of payment, I have a suggestion ... I want you to bill my tab at Tam's whenever you wish. Purchase whatever you want, in whatever quantity. You could buy out the store and I'd pay less than some of the things downstairs. Would you consider this as an alternate?"

"What?" Kassi asked, surprised into laughing. She shook her head and tucked a stray curl behind her ear, giving him a smile. "I barely ever get lunch in there, I usually just buy groceries. And you aren't going to buy my groceries for me," she added, before he could offer.

What a silly man!

"If you want to thank me so terribly, then simply say thank you and I will say you're welcome and that will be that," she suggested, still amused. She finished off her salad and put the container back in the bag, then looked over at him. Now she was curious if he was willing to settle for that old-fashioned thanking. He certainly still seemed confused about something. Was it so terribly unusual to get donated art? Apparently so.. That would be something to remember for next time.

Kassi's pure laughter left Mikel breathless. He tried to remain motionless, but his eyes squinted slightly from the flux of adrenaline now incontestably pushing through his circulation system. A crooked smile was the best he could manage.

"If you ... insist." He sat upright and clasped his hands before him on the table. His mother taught him that everything had a ritual, and thanking someone - genuinely expressing sincere gratitude - was nothing to be taken lightly. "Kassi, ... I want to thank you, in all earnestness, for your gift. I hope you forgive me if my questions were rude, or presumed anything untoward. I'm very grateful for your contribution, and ..." Mikel paused momentarily, not certain how to proceed. "I hope to learn of a way to show you the same generosity and kindness." Mikel didn't realize it, but his last line was spoken more clearly with his eyes. His cobalt blue greeted Kassi with a soulful expression.

He blinked, and then tilted to the side to watch something approaching up the stairs.

"Oh, Gün!" Mikel announced relieved, "thank goodness you made it. There's someone here I'd like you to meet. Here, I have your lunch from Tam's ..."

Before Kassi could react, a large cat with long, grey hair bounded onto the table. It sat down directly in front of Kassi and stared with an unusual intensity.

Last edited:
Kassi blinked in surprise at the formal thanking, but it was still preferred over the payment or tab idea. She gazed at him, stunned by how beautiful his eyes were. How had she not noticed before? Too distracted. Now it was all too obvious, and his expression made her yearn to paint him. There was just.. something there. Maybe it was the way he looked at her or the way he moved when he was talking. Whatever it was, she knew precisely what the subject of her next painting was going to be. She smiled a bit at the thought and looked away from him as he greeted the 'tough customer' he had told her about earlier.

It was.. a cat?

She tilted her head and stared at the cat, not sure whether to be stunned or amused when it sat and stared at her. Animals weren't something she was particularly fond of. She liked the idea of them, but she had been chased by dogs too often for her liking and she found that cats usually didn't take a liking to her. All other animals just weren't snuggly enough for her tastes, so she went without pets. Still, she couldn't deny that she was curious about how the cat was staring at her. Odd.

"Hello," she said, tempted to pet it.

The animal replied with a soft "mew."

"Gün is Vice President of Customer Relations here at the Gallery." Mikel's smile exploded in delight."Wherever have you been, old man?" The cat turned it's head and meowed in a distinct reply, then returned it's stare to Kassi. "Gün here is one of my oldest friends. You won't find a cat like him in these parts, he's a Valk Bear Cat from the Säaro region ... the same land where my desk came from. It was the land of my grandfather, so Gün is pretty special. They're highly intelligent ... and more nimble in the mountains than dogs." He glanced at his friend, "They are also reputed to be excellent judges of character."

Some people had told him he was crazy for addressing a cat the way he did. But, they didn't come from the north. They hadn't heard the tales of Waldemar and Jükka, who invaded the Realm of Giants to save a single village. Myths of men and their Bear Cats are obviously products of fiction, but after hearing these tales from elders, the image of a man and cat conquering the world leaves an indelible mark on impressionable young men.

After some minutes, Gün lifted his paw and began to bob it in front of Kassi ... as if he wanted to shake her hand.

Mikel's satisfaction was apparent. "Well, congratulations ... you passed the test. Aright, buddy ... you hungry." The cat quickly turned and sat patiently near the soaked bag as Mikel removed a slice of freshly fried fish.

Lick.

"Really? Hm. It is a pleasure to meet you, Gün," Kassi said with a smile. She gently took the offered paw and shook it slightly, then watched the cat wander off for his lunch. Despite now knowing that he was more intelligent than your average feline, she was still repressing an urge to grab him and cuddle him.

"My family never had pets. Now I don't just because I'm used to not having any. I think a pet would get paint everywhere, I tend to leave them sitting out.." she mused absently, watching Gün. So, the cat thought she had good character. That was oddly reassuring.

"What is an exhibition like?"

Mikel's eyebrow popped upward, and his eyes rolled back. "It's lots of hard work and worry ... but, it's also an amazing experience to celebrate people and life. I need to prepare announcements for the show, list who and which paintings will be included. Most times, we have open showings, but other times we have exclusive shows. So, only invited guests may attend. And, that's not to be mean, but it's a liability issue ... it's dangerous to invite strangers into a room full of expensive art. Anyway, you'll be there, just milling about near your painting. Folks will likely stop by and ask you questions about it ... you know, what your inspiration was, your intentions, techniques, ... those sorts of things. If folks admire work enough, they purchase it and take it home. Some exhibitions are auction only, which becomes a bit cut-throat ... but, the basic premise is that art is generally unavailable for purchase, and there's an auction at the end of the night. So, whoever pays the most, takes the painting home."

Mikel brushed his eyes over the young woman, and a shadow of concern crept into his look.

"Do you think you'll feel comfortable in a social atmosphere?"

Kassi didn't answer at first, trying to figure out how she felt about that. The gallery was a good size but it was not massive by any means. Imagining it filled with people made her.. uneasy. It wasn't that she hated people or anything, but more people meant a higher risk of being detected for what she was. Unmarked. And now with all of the things on the news about how awful they were.. But an exhibition sounded exciting. Fun. It would be nice to meet people interested in art.

"I think I could manage," she finally answered, giving him a faint smile because honestly she wasn't certain.

" I think that's great." Mikel still gazed upon Kassi with concerned eyes. "I don't mean to get too personal, but ... you seem ..." He stopped, fearing he would make an ass of himself like he did before. "Uncomfortable," he finally managed, "around groups of people. Your gift is very much appreciated, but ..." Mikel was a businessman, and a good one at that. He knew what it took to get the maximum value from an art piece, he knew who to call and invite to pique the interests of the deepest pockets, and those who would spread word like wildfire. This is who Mikel Stedler was; not heartless, but smart. It was, therefore, quite unusual for Mikel to announce, "I don't want to put you in a position you feel uncomfortable. Your work is magical, ... really. It will sell itself, and I can bullshit my way ..." Mikel felt abashed at swearing in front of Kassi. He hadn't hear her use vile language, and wanted to avoid making her uncomfortable.

"I am more than able to sell your work if you have a change of heart."

"I'm not very used to being around.. people," Kassi admitted. "This is actually the longest conversation I've ever had, other than with myself," she added, shaking her head with a smile. It was true. Even her family didn't address her for this long. She shrugged and dismissed the thoughts, keeping her focus on Mikel. He seemed confident about his ability to sell the painting, and she did not doubt him. He would not be running a successful gallery if he could not manage to sell a piece without the artist present. However, she did still want to make that effort. It may be uncomfortable or awkward, but it would be a new experience, and that meant inspiration for future paintings. Plus, everybody there would have some sort of interest in art. "I'll be here. I promise."

"Ok," Mikel smiled. "My offer still stands. Just let me know. And if you ever ..."

A new sound came from Mikel's computer. It was the same ping as before, but four pings came in sequence. Mikel, dismissive of the past notices, looked abashed and bowed slightly, as if my habit. "Please excuse me, I'm really sorry." Mikel produced his phone from his pocket. His face lit up, even in the daylight, from the screen's ambient glow. Mikel's eyes darted back and forth, reading a message - then his face froze and his body tensed. He swallowed hard, and slowly slumped down into this chair. His powerful fist was clenched and covering his mouth. When he looked at Kassi, she saw tears rimming the bottom of his eyes. Gün abandoned his meal and darted to his friend, and began talking to him, softly, enquiringly.

He stood up and turned to the window, saying only, "I'm sorry ... please just give me a minute."

Kassi nodded, unbothered by him checking his phone. He was running a business and had a social life, it made sense that people wanted to get in touch with him. As she waited, she watched him, wondering what sort of color scheme she would use when she painted him later. Blues on the outer edges, perhaps.. or a shade of green that would set off his eyes. Before she got any further into her silent musings, she noticed that his expression had changed. He seemed.. sad, but surprised. Had somebody died? She frowned slightly, uncertain. They had just barely met, what was the etiquette protocol here? She had no idea.

"Are you alright?" she asked after a moment, her voice soft. "I can leave if you wish for me to," she added.

Normally, Mikel dealt with grief alone. It was the northern way. But, he didn't want Kassi to leave. He wanted her to ... he needed her to stay.

"The ... um," Mikel's words came broken and jagged like shards of glass. "The square of portraits you saw downstairs ... the one with the skin in the center. That was made by a good friend of mine, Hans Arden. He was an activist and advocate for the unmarked. He felt the injustice of their plight so deeply, he made a artistic statement by removing his marking. What you saw downstairs was one of those attempts. I say attempt, since the markings can't be removed. They come back time and time again."

Mikel wiped his eye with his sleeve. "They just found Hans' body in a field north of Arelia. He was clearly murdered, likely for what he believed." A new tone defines Mikel now, it a soft, seething voice. "This is an evil world we live in. Contrary to what most everyone else thinks. People say that the markings are a blessing ... I say they are a curse."

Hans Arden? She knew that name. Of course she did. Anybody who was Unmarked knew that name. He had been a Marked man who did not follow his calling - instead he made speeches and stood up for those born without. He had been a hero in a dying community. She was stunned to think that he was dead, but that always seemed to happen. Anybody who stands against society, no matter the reason or which society, tends to die fairly quickly. People who stood out for the better.. gone, just like that. Suddenly Kassi realized that the Unmarked, once again, had no voice. What a terrible time for that, what with the events on the news and growing discomfort in the newspapers and online.

It was only a matter of time before something awful happened.

She frowned sadly and was going to tell Mikel that she was terribly sorry for his loss, but then he spoke again and she stared at him in disbelief. Did he really just say..? Surely he couldn't mean it. But he did not seem to be joking.

"A curse? How?" she asked, curious.

Mikel had been bantering these arguments privately in his mind for years. It felt strange to hear them in the open. "The markings are supposes to guide people to their true loves, right. To those individuals who will understand and unconditionally love those chosen for them. But, to me ..." Mikel was bordering on heresy, and he knew it. Should he dare expose himself to this quite, young woman? He closed his eyes, and decided he needed to speak. He needed to tell her. "It seems utterly hypocritical to seek perfect love while simultaneously showing absolutely no love to others who are different. To be honest, it all comes across as unbearably selfish ... people wandering off, seeing happiness for their OWN sake. It's injustice, pure and simple. And, it's the reason I spend to much time alone. And now, Hans is gone. I'll miss my friend so much." Mikel returns to his seat, exhausted, and drops his head into his hands.

"Forgive me for speaking out of turn, I don't want to make you uncomfortable. I just …" Mikel's cobalt eyes stared into the distance once more, probing, seeking. "I don't have anyone to share this with."

Meow …

Mikel sighs apologetically. "Yes, except for you, Gün." Mikel brushed his hand along the cat's length, and Gün lifted his tail in gratitude.

"Today has been quite something, hasn't it," Mikel asked himself. "Maybe it's best you go home … we can always catch up later."

Last edited: