Marked [EverlyxSterling]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Kassi blushed deeply, the red on her cheeks standing out easily in the firelight against her normally pale skin. Oh. Well there. She didn't even know what to think after that. Mikel spoke to her as though he thought she was the most important person in his world. She was starting to get an understanding of what love really meant.. at least, she thought she was. He cared about her and claimed to need her, even comparing his life before to living in a fog. Was she his clarity? How could she be, when her own life was unclear to herself? She did not understand, but she also did not care. His words made her feel warm and happy inside, and for just that moment, the ache in her heart was forgotten. She smiled at him, her eyes focused and clear instead of distracted and hurt.

"I don't think I can ever get used to hearing you say that.." she said softly. She started to say something else, but then she realized that Uton was bound to be coming back soon and she had barely glanced at her menu because she had been completely wrapped up in Mikel. Though not literally. That was a shame, because she would not mind another attempt at figuring out the hugging thing she had started in the bus station. Yes, hugging was nice. And now she was distracted. She smiled to herself, looking back over at Mikel. This was his fault. He kept her off balance, sending her mind around in little circles. She wouldn't have it any other way.

The double doors clicked from Uton alerting the pair to his presence. Mikel's eyes opened slowly. His vision was drugged, like when waking from a dream. He gave the back of Kassi's hand a more firm kiss before releasing it back to Kassi. Uton quietly made his way to the table side. He spoke with a hush reverence normally reserved for Sanctuary or a holy rite.

"Sir, would you and M'am like anything to eat tonight?"

A suave grin breached Mikel's face. He wasn't pretending to be someone else or someone other than himself. Mikel was simply, and more intensely, Mikel. He carried himself with a giddiness that was amusing to behold; he felt the world was a balloon, and he held the string.

"I should say so," Mikel answered. "Kass, please order whatever your heart desires. Don't be afraid ... remember Gün will eat whatever you don't."

Mikel allowed himself an inner smirk. No one who knew Mikel would ever describe him as deceitful, but he lived an inner life that was lush and active. Ulterior motives and intuition were his playgrounds in life, and these skills served him well as curator of his Gallery. Mikel felt he knew what Kassi needed to come out of her shell, and the answer was "choice" - choice of leaving or staying, of wearing his coat or not, of where to sit, of whether to drink wine or water. Now, of what to eat. Mikel sensed the more choices Kassi made, the more empowered the young woman might feel about other aspects of her life. Mikel was interested in re-building this young woman, and would help her do so for as long as it took.

"I'm partial to field steak ... with browned potatoes, please," Mikel ordered.

Kassi glanced at Uton, then quickly picked up her menu and scanned it. While Mikel ordered for himself, she pondered what she wanted. Over half of the menu was foreign to her - not that she couldn't read it, but she didn't have the faintest idea of what it was. Probably delicious. She really didn't care what was in her belly when she could barely think straight. The thought almost made her laugh, but she managed to keep a straight face as Uton turned to her expectantly.

"Chicken alfredo, please," she requested softly. It was something she had at least heard of before, even if she hadn't tried it. She gave her menu back to Uton and waited until he was gone again from the room before she let out a small laugh. "This is a weird experience, you know that, right?" she asked Mikel, looking over at him with a curious smile. Did he see how odd this was too?

Mikel suppressed a knowing grin. "Yes, I expect it must be an adventure for you." Uton had taken his leave and closed the doors behind him. Mikel wanted desperately to reach out and touch Kassi, but withheld. He laid his hand on the base of his wine glass. Mikel firmly believed that Kassi should feel free to do what she wants when she wants, without him smothering her with affection ... though, thankfully, she did not seem to mind in the least. It was hard for Mikel to not make a groping fool of himself. He cared for and respected Kassi as a person, but could not deny he deeply craved knowing her more intimately.

A sharp intake of breath broke that line of thought. He was going to behave himself, and needed another topic for distraction.

"Tell me, Kassi ... What do you know of music?"

"I know a little. Not much in comparison to most people, I suppose.." she mused thoughtfully. She shrugged and gave him a smile. "I have headphones and a music player. Most of the time when I paint, I listen. It helps to keep everything else out, but sometimes silence is better. Depends on what I'm painting.."

She thought back to the last piece she had painted, before the horror of the letter had ruined her most recent canvas. It had been a simple piece, an arched bridge over still waters in the park. She had found the place in Nexus park and had seen a bench nearby with an elderly gentleman feeding ducks. So, in her painting, there was a man sitting off to the side with a brown bag filled with breadcrumbs. She had dotted the water with a mother duck and her ducklings, and set the sky with the fire of dusk. The painting had made her happy, as she had successfully imitated the style of another artist, as was her aim. It was more realistic than the paintings that Mikel had seen, and she had been listening to nothing but classical piano the entire time she painted it.

"Do you like music?"

"Oh, yes. But, I'm very picky. Most music turns people's brains off, whereas I strongly feel people should regularly encounter something bizarre. Of course," he laughed, "I could just be justifying my personal opinions.

"Classical music is essential to appreciating the fine arts, since it itself is a fine art. But, the music of my homeland is more operatic in nature. That is what I usually surround myself with, there's some in the car should you be interested."

Kassi nodded in agreement, a smile on her lips as she recalled one of the less horrifying times in her school days.

"There was a week in school when we were all required to learn how to dance," she said, shaking her head. "It was awful at first, being forced with a partner and having to learn the steps. But the pieces they played were all single-instrument classics. A flute solo, a fast drum rhythm. My favorite was the piano.. it still is, really. I wanted to learn how to play but.. well, it didn't work out," she explained with a slight shrug. She enjoyed thinking about the dancing, but she didn't want to be reminded about why she had never learned the ivory keys. Instead, she gazed at Mikel and gave him a smile.

"I'd love to hear what you have."

"I find it quite beautiful, myself. But then, I'm partial to anything that reminds me of home. I promise we can listen to some when we are driving back. In fact, I know just what to share with you ... a work by Aldeman, called 'The Penny Lark'. It's much like its contemporaries in style and structure ... grand, sweeping orchestral scores with limited, yet poignant moments of libretto. Very northern in character." Mikel wondered if music could be another way of helping Kassi overcome her trauma, and bring her a modicum of peace. "Certainly, there are other types of music I enjoy that others find distasteful ... I enjoy modern classical movements that are focused and reductive, just pure musicality for the ear's delight. I also enjoy counter-cultural voices. There are bands that are notorious for being Unmarked, and also bands that are Marked but cry havoc for the Unmarked with blaring guitars and demonic speed." Mikel couldn't help but smile at this. "Not many people know that, and would be shocked by an elite listening to such loud 'trash'." Mikel chuckled at the irony; such bands are vilified by society as 'improper', when the message of their music exposes the society that judges them. Mikel glanced back at Kassi, who he thought looked utterly content. If for nothing else, Mikel considered, I've done well just to give her this moment of peace. His stomach was tingling again. His hunger had vanished, and he wondered gleefully if he was ever going to feel hunger again when around Kassi. Then ...

Silence.

It was a calm and comfortable quiet that was uninterrupted by any shred of awkwardness. Mikel did not feel insecure with Kassi in his presence, and he felt she was grateful for his love - even if the idea took some getting use to, she seemed to accept his affections swimmingly. As another wave of happiness washed over Mikel, his throat began to vibrate a tune. The sound was low, owing to his naturally baritone tenor, and soon a grand, sweeping serenade hummed forth. The sonorous piece was hard to pull off, because he kept smiling, which made it difficult to hum. Mikel rose from his chair and stepped with measured, fluid gait to Kassi's side and offered his hand.

"Care to dance? The music's crap, but I hear the company is divine."

Last edited:
Kassi smiled a bit, nodding. She knew of bands similar to what he was talking about. Quite a few songs on her music player were that type, but her favorite were a bit different. She didn't know how to explain them properly to him, so she didn't try. Perhaps she would just show him later. They were classical pieces, with piano and violins, but there was other music layered with it. Usually an upbeat bass, as if an orchestra had collided with a hip-hop concert and exploded into song. She was rather fond of it. Thinking on that, she allowed them to fall into silence. It was not the strained sort of silence that begged for some sort of break in the tension. Instead, she felt at ease. This was nice.

She looked up when she heard humming, giving Mikel a curious look as he stood and came over to her. Before she could ask what he was doing, he was holding out his hand and inviting her to dance. Startled, she blinked at him speechlessly. She hesitated, then took his hand and stood, though she couldn't explain to herself why she was doing it.

"Dance? Here?" she asked doubtfully, glancing toward the closed doors before looking up at Mikel. "I haven't danced in ten years," she added, tempted to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation. She had only danced in school.. well, and around her apartment when she was in a good mood about a painting, but that didn't count. That was more bobbing around like a fool than anything else.

Mikel lifted Kassi's hand up with absolute tenderness, like a lord would a queen regent. The area in front of the fireplace was free of tables, partly due to fire concerns, but mostly because patrons rarely wished to sit close to such heat. Mikel and Kassi didn't mind at all. The six foot by ten foot area afforded the perfect balance of space and intimacy. Mikel led Kassi to the center and took her opposing hand, holding it at shoulder height. Mikel hesitated for just a moment, then slowly slid his right hand down to the small of Kassi's back. Mikel was keenly aware of her distance, and wanted to close it, but didn't want to make her uncomfortable. Mikel's hand making contact with Kassi's back caused his heart to skip a beat, and he released a nervous smile. In truth, Mikel was not much of a dancer. He was too large and lumbering to display any sense of grace or coordination. Climbing mountains used movements, but they were based in strength and stamina. He bent down slightly, just a bit, to not tower over the Kassi so imposingly. He let his love decide where to place her hand, then re-initiated his best attempt at humming 'The Penny Lark'. It was honestly atrocious, but he wanted Kassi to have music, so he hummed fiercely until it was his heart singing.

All the while, Mikel watched Kassi intently, trying to notice her every move, her every turn and every facial expression. He didn't want to miss an instant of her loveliness.

Kassi couldn't help it. She giggled when he brought her to the middle of the floor. The pure silliness of it all was absolutely marvelous. She stepped close to him, her hand resting on his upper arm since it was far easier than reaching up to his shoulder. As he hummed, she followed his lead around the floor, doing her best to remember what she had learned in school. To her surprise, it was easy to recall those days. The rhythm automatically popped along in her mind as she followed the song coming from his throat, and she easily kept with the paces of his movements. When he hesitated, she guided him, though she didn't really realize it when she did it. She was too wrapped up in how much fun this was. Once they were more used to the dancing, she looked up at him and smiled, finding his eyes already on hers.

"My old teacher would be so proud of you," she said softly, gently teasing.

Mikel couldn't stop the boyish grin that streaked across his face. "Oh, I don't know about that," he laughed. "Your teacher should be proud of you. You dance very well." Mikel was appalling at first, but after relaxing and following Kassi's timing, the turning rhythm flowed naturally between them. Mikel noticed every misstep he took, and Kassi likely did as well. But, Kassi seemed to fill in Mikel's errors quietly, gently. There were no harsh words, no corrections, or scorn. Kassi uplifted Mikel in his ignorance, supported him lovingly, and left him feeling more of a man.

Mikel was drenched in love for Kassi. He spread his fingers and slipped them in between Kassi's, so their hands were both locked and interwoven. Mikel then bent lower, and planted a tender, loving kiss on Kassi's forehead. He rested his temple where he left his own mark, and closed his eyes in eternal bliss.

"I'm so happy right now," he said.

"Thank you," she said with a smile, content. She blushed a bit when he kissed her forehead, taken off guard. It was such a nice thing to do. She could almost feel his care for her like a warm blanket that she wanted to curl up in and never come out. Was this what love was like? If so, he did it very well. That seemed like an odd thing to compliment somebody on, though, so she remained quiet about it. After a couple minutes more of dancing in happy silence, she started to laugh.

"This is going to sound awful, but I'm not even hungry anymore," she said honestly, trying very hard to keep a straight face. They had come all this way to this gorgeous restaurant, and she was so distracted by how wonderful he was that she couldn't focus on her belly. How did people eat when they weren't alone?! They must wait until they were starving, she decided. Or maybe they just dine with people they don't like very much.

"No, Daer. That doesn't sound awful. You may not realize this, but not everyone dances before the main course." Mikel carefully cleared the hair from the side of Kassi's face, revealing her jawline. "I think they should, though. They don't know what they're missing." Mikel's movements slowed until both stood face to face. Kassi was pressed close to Mikel, and he gave her a last embrace. He could feel Kassi's breast against his chest, and the intimacy warmed him.

"We should sit down. Uton will be back any ..."

The door rattled again. It was Uton with a cart. "I do 'ope I'm not interrupting?"

"No, good Sir. We were just enjoying the moment."

"Yes, I can see zat," Uton said, with a sly, southern smile. "Is everything to your liking?"

"Quite," Mikel chuckled. "Uton, simply leave the cart. We'll serve ourselves. You've been more than accommodating."

Uton shrugged. "Et is no problem, but, as you wish. Let me know if you require anything more." Uton closed the double doors and then pulled a dark-maroon privacy curtain. The couple were completely alone.

Kassi gazed up at Mikel as he spoke to her, then jumped in surprise as Uton came in. She felt as if she were drunk. For some reason she did not fully comprehend, she was left breathless from the close contact with her dinner companion. She stole a glance at him, then looked back to the accommodating waiter as he left the cart and left them alone once more. Well. That was adequately awkward. She smiled a bit and returned her attention to Mikel, who was much more pleasant to look at anyway.

From a purely artistic point of view, of course. Of course.

"Well, I suppose I should at least eat a bite of.. what did I order?" she said, blinking in confusion. It was hard to think of anything other than him holding her at the moment. "Oh, right, chicken alfredo. I hope it's good," she mused, finally stepping back away from him fully in an attempt to regain her senses. It was very odd what being close to Mikel did to her. Odd, but oh so lovely.

Mikel led his princess back to her seat, and once she sat down pushed her in. "Allow me," he said. Mikel stole his own napkin, and half-folded it over his forearm. He walked to the cart and trundled it back, circuitously weaving around the tables. He stopped next to Kassi, and adopted his best southern accent, which was hilariously horrid. Mikel spoke softly, for fear Uton might overhear.

"Zis is your Chicken Brittonia ... Oh no, I'm so sorry, Chicken Alfredo. Here you are ..." He placed the plate down with a smile, then turned to his empty chair. "Oh, dearest me. Where has your friend gone to? Well, I shall just put ... this ... here."

Mikel couldn't control his laughter, and wondered if he'd gone too far. "Alright, ... That's enough acting for me." He gathered the silverware and laid them out in their proper locations around the plates, then refilled Kassi's water. "Do wish for some wine?"

Kassi sat down and started to protest him serving both of them, but then he started speaking. She clasped a hand over her lips to stifle her giggles, but it didn't do much good. Her eyes sparkled with amusement as she watched him, a fresh wave of laughter escaping her fingers when he realized her dinner guest was not in his chair.

"I guess he got bored with me and left," she said with a smile, shaking her head as he offered wine. "No, thank you. I've never had an interest in alcohol," she said simply, picking up her glass and taking a sip of the clear liquid. Oh, it was so refreshing. She was sure the wine was good too, but she was serious when she said she wasn't interested.

Now to try the food and see if it really was cat food.

She picked up her fork and eyed the plate. Well, to the restaurant's credit, it looked and smelled divine. She took a forkful and mentally counted down, then popped it in her mouth. If she hadn't had a mouth full of food, she would have likely gasped in delight. It was creamy and smooth and the chicken was cooked to perfection. This was like nothing she had ever had before! She was thrilled and promptly ate another bite, munching away happily as her body relaxed, pleased that she was finally giving it a real meal after weeks of snack foods and bites of salad here and there.

Mikel's tummy danced a jig when Kassi giggled. When she showed her teeth and laughed freely, Mikel thought her the most gorgeous angel he'd ever laid eyes on.

The serving towel transformed back into a napkin, and Mikel placed it upon the lap of his grey-trousered legs. He sat back for a moment to let his steak cool. The temperature was perfect, he expected, but he was far more interested in watching Kassi enjoy her first bites of real food. Mikel liked this; he so loved watching Kassi partake in the simple pleasures. Not that Chicken Alfredo was simple, but the mere act of indulging in the most minor luxury made Kassi bubble with joy. He felt like a vindicating force, returning a measure of kindness to a woman who was absolutely pure of heart.

Mikel eventually sliced his field steak into thin, juicy sections. The caramelized-onion topping and red wine reduction tasted wonderful. He thought Kassi was right ... The food was astonishing, and now wondered why no one was enjoying Tunni's fare.

Mikel caught himself. "Would you like to try some?

Kassi thought she may have died and this was all a heavenly dream. Though, if that were true, she probably wouldn't be hearing the distant chatter of the other patrons in the other room. Then again maybe she would. She didn't know what dying was like. And she didn't care. All she cared about was the plate full of amazingness in front of her. She looked up at Mikel, seeing the same joy on his face that she knew was mirrored in his own. Apparently his steak was delicious.

"Absolutely not. I am in paradise over here. This nearly makes me want to start painting pictures of food," she laughed. She twirled some of the pasta around her fork and held it out to him with a grin. "I bet mine is better than yours," she said, wiggling it about temptingly.

Kassi's playfulness gave Mikel a deep satisfaction. He placed his silverware down and stood up slowly. He leaned forward with his mouth open to bite the food off of Kassi's fork in one fell swoop. He grinned approvingly as he chewed the Chicken Alfredo. "That is very good," he said. He spoke through his chewing, and knew his mother would swat him for being so rude, especially in front of a beautiful woman. Mikel thanked the heavens his mother was NOT here to punish him, and continued on with the remainder of his meal.