Marked [EverlyxSterling]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"Generally when somebody announces that they have a question without asking it, it's something bad," Kassi murmured, frowning a little to herself. It was on the same level as 'we need to talk', though she would not personally make that connection since she wasn't exactly in the dating scene. What did he want to ask? Hopefully not something terrible. She didn't think she could handle running to Kate again. Pondering that, she selected music at random and got it to start playing, then turned back around to face him hesitantly.

"What is it?"

"I ... no, Kassi, there's nothing wrong, Daer." He did not know what he had said to perturb her mood. He reached for her to re-join him. "I was just going to say that you might want to consider living here. I mean, I'm not even sure you like it ... oh, I know you said you did, but I mean like it enough to stay here. I was thinking about when you went wandering into Alexsandertown ... you needed to leave and walk around. There really isn't anything inherently wrong with that. I thought being here would keep you from unruly people, it's fairly isolated, and you could walk in the forests here to your heart's content. I could give you a room ... any room you felt inspired by, and it would be yours. You could do absolutely anything you wanted with it ... I ... just wanted to make the offer." Mikel flinched toward one of the paintings, not knowing what was wrong.

Kassi slowly went back over to the couch, sitting next to him and scooting back into his open arms as he explained what he had been meaning to ask. That wasn't what she expected, not at all. She stared at him in surprise. Live here? With him? Granted, she adored spending time with him, but she was not completely certain that was a good idea. They hadn't known each other very long.. but.. He was also right. It was safer out here. Though she had been asleep for the ride, she had seen during his tour that the view from the windows was quiet and beautiful. They weren't in the middle of the city and they weren't near people who would get in a fistfight over cash. Better yet, nobody would know where she was if they started hunting the Unmarked.

"The last time I lived with somebody it didn't end very well," she said quietly, thoughtful. She looked up at him, trying to think. "I appreciate the offer, Mikel. It's very kind of you, and you're right.. it's smart. Can I think about it?"

Mikel cushioned Kassi's head with his hand, and gently kissed her cheek. "Take as long as you need, Daer. I only wanted to make you aware of what was possible, so you didn't worry about going back somewhere you don't want to go. You have a choice, and my door is open. Always." Mikel kissed her again, again, and again until Kassi giggled.

"You mentioned you lived with someone before ... Can I ask what happened? I take it that it didn't end well?"

Kassi sighed and shrugged a little.

"Well, when I first came to Milliane I was a teenaged runaway. I had some money and two sets of clothes, and that was about it. I didn't know anything about city life or.. anything," she admitted, shaking her head. Honestly she still didn't know too much about the city, but she didn't mind. "There was this place called Anne's. It's not around anymore, but it was like this boarding house type of place. A home until you find a real home, that's what she called it. Two people to a room because they were so full. My roommate was an Unmarked woman. She was.. quiet. I don't think she ever spoke ten words to me, but I didn't want to talk to anybody either, so I didn't care. I don't know what really happened but.. there was a fire. Not everybody made it out."

"That's terrible," Mikel said. "At least you made it out alive. I don't think there's much fear of a fire burning down this place. It's mostly concrete and inorganic things ..." He looked around, suddenly taken by what he just said. Inorganic things. The house felt unusually still and cold. Nothing had changed from the moment before, or when he led Kassi through his home. There were alternate materials that offset the effect, but Mikel seemed taken by the impression that the house was a minimalist grave. He shook at the association, and looked at the surrounding glass walls upon which the paintings were hung. The trees swayed silently behind the transparent partition, and Mikel thought they were banished. The discord he felt was assuaged by Kassi at his side, and he made a mental note to ask her later about what she really thought of his house.

"I wanted to tell you that Ms. Marjorie Thaddaye visited my Gallery just before Kate arrived. She continues to be interested in your work."

Kassi nodded a little, watching him. For some reason, Mikel seemed distracted. She tilted her head, but before she could ask him what was the matter, he was speaking of Marjorie. Ah, the gorgeous blonde who had more money to her name than Kassi could possibly fathom. That was also the woman who had paused long enough to give Kassi a smile as though she mattered and wasn't invisible. Kassi wasn't sure how she really felt about Marjorie, but she did know that she was pleased the woman found something good about her art.

"That's good," she said, smiling at Mikel. "Did you still want to do that.. thing.. exhibition?"

"Yes, I think so," Mikel said. He answered with a steady confidence. "I'm still in the process of getting the other galleries to cooperate. Many are interested, and asked to see your work first. They'll fall into line once they see how wonderful your art is. There are certain galleries that are dragging their heels. Some gallery owners are prima donnas, and believe themselves gate-keepers of true art and only adorned their walls with the most exclusive images available. Have you ever heard of Kassus Mar? He runs a very notable gallery near the MIA, and is notorius for being an arrogant prick. But, people like Kassus are also shameless children who seek the limelight like a celebrity past their prime. Once he learns how impressionable your art is, and sees all the other galleries joining in, he'll give me a call. I'm positive."

Mikel stroked Kassi's upper arm, feeling the texture of his house jacket, which hung on Kassi like an overcoat. "In fact, we may be able to enlist Ms. Thaddaye into the cause. She's hurting ... terribly. Oh, she may look like the paragon of perfection, but that's a ploy. I just have a feeling she would benefit from your paintings more than most, and - I don't know why - but, I also sense she would feel ... gratitude, maybe. I suppose time will tell."

Mikel knew the pork would be done soon, and expected the bell from the timer to chime. He wasn't worried about the tenderness of the meal; Mikel preferred his meat slow-cooked over low heat, and keeping the meat in longer would only soften the texture. He wanted to ask Kassi about his home, before their minds and stomachs moved on to other things.

"Kassi ... may I ask, what do you really think of my home. I promise I won't be offended. I'm genuinely curious what your opinion is."

"Yes, I've heard of him," Kassi murmured, nodding once. She had walked by Kassus' gallery a few times, though she had never gone in. When she first got to Milliane, her dream had been to go to the MIA and learn how to become a proper artist. A real painter, who knew what she was doing. But they had refused her admission. She wasn't good enough for something like that. Still, it was nice to hear that Mikel thought a lot of galleries would be interested in his idea, even Marjorie. She wasn't sure she believed that the perfect woman was hurting, but she trusted Mikel's judgement.

"What I really think?" she repeated, a bit uneasy. Well, he had asked for the truth.. "I think it is beautiful to look at, as I said. Everything is very nice.. but.. It feels like it's not lived in, like it's cold. Nothing it out of place and there's a lot of empty spaces," she finally said, half shrugging. "But if you like it, I like it. It's your home, Mikel, it can be however you want. Kate would love it. She's very neat."

Mikel held Kassi tighter, so that they were face to face. He wore a happy smile; he could feel Kassi's chest against his own, and knew his pounding heart was sending tremors through Kassi's body. "Yes, but Kate is not you. I hadn't thought about this until you arrived, but my home feels empty to me. I just never noticed it until now. It's just myself who lives here, and I can be tidy at time ... perhaps a bit too tidy." Mikel rolled his eyes, a slight gesture of self-effacement. "Kass, I'm not trying to pressure you and I want you to live here only if you want. But, I'm interested in knowing how I can make your stay here as comfortable as possible ... even if it's just for tonight and tomorrow. Did I tell you I closed the Gallery tomorrow? We can do whatever we wish when we wake in the morning."

DING!

"Ah, the pork."

Kassi looked up at Mikel, noticing how close together they were. She focused on his eyes, trying not to get lost in them. It was actually quite hard to pay attention. She wanted to tell him that it was not kind to speak to her when holding her this way since she was rather distracted by his lips, but she stayed quiet until he mentioned dinner was done. Or, at least, part of it. She nodded a little, swallowing to clear her throat as she forced herself to look away and breathe.

"We should go get that."

Mikel sensed a discomfort in Kassi, and wasn't sure whether to be concerned or flattered. He decided to give her a little space to breath. "You can wait here, I'll take care of the rest." Mikel stood up reluctantly, his hand still attached to Kassi's. His hand detached slowly, their palms sliding to fingertips, delaying their parting until the last moment. Mikel walked over to the music set, and inserted a disc before heading to the kitchen. The sound of light cymbals and low jazz horns filled the gallery. Mikel entered his kitchen and began boiling water for noodles before removing the pork from the oven. The meat needed to cool so the internal liquid slurry of moisture and flavor solidified. Cutting into piping hot meat was the surest way of bleeding the flavor, and he wanted Kassi's meal here to be memorable. Mikel had only seen Kassi eat Chicken Alfredo and salad, so he went to the refrigerator and produced some leafy greens to prepare a salad.

Kassi watched him go, feeling rather lonely the second that he left the couch. That was silly, of course, as he was right there. But still. She rested her chin on her knees, watching him go to the music set as her eyes roamed over him. They followed his trail into the kitchen and she listened to the music as she heard the faint sound of a pot being set on the stove. She hesitated, then got up and walked silently into the kitchen. Once in the doorway, she paused and smiled to herself as she watched him working. He had such focus. The only thing she really focused like that with was when she was painting, and even then she was easily distracted if there was a half naked man on her couch.

Where did that thought come from?

She shook her head a little and wandered into the kitchen, appearing at his side with a smile. After all, she had said she would help him. What sort of helper just sat in the other room and waited? Not a very good one. She couldn't help that she wanted to be close to him.

"Can I help?"

Mikel smiled to himself. He had silently hoped Kassi would return to help, and felt more at peace with her at his side. "Yes! I'd love your help. Here ..." Mikel gripped a sleek metal handle and opened a drawer to remove a translucent, plastic cutting board. "Would you be so kind as to cut up a salad? All the ingredients are in the refrigerator ... there are the knives." Mikel pointed to a cuttery block with eight knives of different types and sizes, all arrayed with handles pointed out. "Here, let me get you a bowl ..." Mikel opened an upper cupboard, and was about to reach for a bowl then stopped himself. He looked down at Kassi, and smiled faintly. "Please, ... the bowls are up here." There was a hint of apology in Mikel's voice. "Feel free to choose whichever one you like best. I'm eager to taste what you come up with."

Mikel kissed Kassi's cheek, then donned oven mits and opened the oven. A wave of hot air burst upward and puffed his curly bangs. He reached in and removed the roasting pan, setting it upon the stove to sizzle.

"Thank you," she said with a smile, nodding as he pointed out where everything was. She retrieved a bowl and set it on the counter, then went rummaging about in his refrigerator. Though she was not a cook by any means, salad was something she knew well. Whenever she was in the middle of a crazy inspired day, she would run into Tam's and grab one and run back out. They were perfect for munching on while deciding paint colors, though she doubted Mikel ever had that problem. She laughed a little at the thought, piling ingredients on the counter and starting to chop up some lettuce.

Once she had a nice bed of green going, she began adding other things. Cucumber slices, strips of green peppers, tomatoes. She skipped the onion in favor of a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Satisfied, she tossed it with some dressing and set it aside, then started cleaning up her mess while munching on a piece of cucumber. Yum. She looked over at Mikel, peeking around him to get a look at what he was doing with the pasta and pork.

Mikel opened a cellophane packet, filled with thin, dehydrated spätzel noodles. He poured a quarter of the bag into the water, then quickly rolled the bag up and neatly tying it off. Mikel reached to a small, ceramic dome, and lifted the lid to deposit a teaspoon of butter into the frothing mix. He stirred the hot water until the butter was completely dissolved. Mikel hit the pot rim with the wooden spoon in his hand, then placed the spoon on the counter. He looked over at Kassi's creation, and looks pleased. "You've done well! It looks scrumptious. Let's set the table while the noodles cook ... they should only take a few minutes."

"Okay," she agreed after watching him with avid interest. The noodles certainly seemed easy enough to make. Perhaps she'd have to make some on her own later, at home.. though she would probably stick to her junk food diet. She smiled up at him and nodded, holding out her hands for the plates.

Mikel nods satisfied, and then opens another cupboard with stacks of plates and glasses. He lifts two plates and places them onto Kassi's waiting arms. "Got them?" he asked. The plates were thick and heavy, the kind of plates that were meant for supporting the weight of dense meat and starches. Mikel than selected two, clear glasses and fished two sets of silverware from a drawer.

Once he placed them on table, Mikel remembered something. I have to get Gün's plate. Mikel returned to the cupboard and brought down a smaller, round plate made from the same material as his office desk. He brought it to the table and placed it next to his plate. Mikel cupped his hands to his mouth, and called out. "Gün! Gün, dinner's ready." There was silence for a few seconds, then a thud resonated from the living room, followed by the sound of padded feet as a hungry Bear Cat sauntered to toward the table. His nose was up, and seemed pleased with the dinner in store. He moved toward the table, and was about to jump, but then hesitated and merely stood upright with his paws hanging onto the table edge.

Kassi nodded and followed him to the table, then gently laid the heavy plates down next to the silverware he had laid out. She was confused by the addition of a third plate until he yelled for Gün. The thud made her turn, and she smiled as the cat came to the table. He was an awfully good cuddle buddy, she recalled. His warm self had put her right out in the car. She leaned over and gently scratched him between the ears.

"Hungry, Gün? Mikel cooked, but I helped, so if it's awful don't tell me," she said quietly, smiling over at Mikel.

Mikel was smiling, he had his two best friends in the same room, and they were about to share a feast. But, when Gün stood upright, Mikel's smile flattened a bit, and his brow hung slightly. He walked over to where the Bear Cat sat on the floor, and pulled back an adjacent chair. "Here you go, Old Friend." Gün gave a gentle mew, then conducted a series of smaller hops onto the table surface. Gün stalked to his plate, where Mikel had placed a glass of light-colored beer for himself. Mikel was in the kitchen getting Kassi a glass of water, assuming that was her drink of choice. Gün tilted his head, then began to paw his plate from the table edge, and then nudged it along the table until it stopped next to Kassi's plate. When Mikel returned, he asked, "What's this?"

Gün was already lying on his side, licking his paws in anticipation of a great meal.

Last edited: