Marked [EverlyxSterling]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Kassi hugged Kate back tightly, closing her eyes for a moment. A friend. Now she had two. Or, at least, she hoped she did. Maybe Mikel didn't want to be friends anymore. That answer would come soon enough. She slowly opened her eyes and released Kate, nodding as she was instructed to not open the door.

"Thank you," she murmured, watching Kate leave. She sat still for a minute, then glanced around. What to do while she waited? She couldn't paint, obviously, but there were other ways to occupy her time. A book was laying on the arm of the couch. She picked it up and settled in, then started to read.

--

Marjorie heard the footsteps on the stairs and returned her attention there, having wandered to another painting to look while she awaited him. She turned and saw him enter the gallery, returning his forced smile with one of her own. Thankfully, she was used to the practice and could be extremely convincing when the situation called for it. She took his hand and shook it for a moment before giving him a nod.

"I would love to. I was surprised to receive your call. I thought you were planning an exhibition?" she asked, following him up the stairs to his office.

"The exhibition is still in the work, but has ... changed in character and scope." In all honesty, he questioned whether Kassi would renege on her offer to give up her entire artistic collection. A more sensible part of Mikel felt that Kassi would never do that, and he moved her collection to his office under that assumption. Walking up the stairs, Mikel himself wondered why he contacted Ms. Thaddaye. She came across as an entitled plutocrat, who really didn't deserve the honor and privilege of possessing a slice of Kassi's soul. Perhaps, Mikel thought, he could get to know this woman and come to an arrangement. Perhaps, he could manage for this Ms. Thaddaye to become a long-time patron for Kassi, ensuring Kassi a degree of financial independence she was unaccustomed to. and, if Kassi decided to never speak to Mikel again, this was the least he could do for her.

"You should be interested to know that the exhibition will now be completely focused on the artist whose painting you seek to purchase. All the artist's work, in fact, should be before you in my office."

"Really? Well, that does sound fascinating, Mr. Stedler. I can't wait to see i-" Marjorie began, then she stopped as she reached the doorway to his office. The paintings were everywhere, bursts of color lighting up every corner. She slowly stepped into the room and looked around, her eyes catching on several pieces. A small girl running through puddles. A wooden bridge over a stream long forgotten. A man and woman too caught up in each other to realize they were being watched as they danced in the middle of a sidewalk. Each one was breathtaking, and every single piece spoke to the damaged part of Marjorie's soul. She felt as though she had been dunked in a bath of ice, but at the same time the paintings gave warm comfort. The emotions they brought forth were in stark contrast to reality all the more when she was forced to acknowledge the aching in her ribs that came from her husband.

"These are.. incredible," she finally said, blinking back So beautiful.. She wanted all of them, though she knew that was severely unlikely unless she bought them from other people later on once they were all sold off. "How much?" she asked anyway. Can't blame a girl for trying.

Mikel released a genuine laugh, not to be cruel, but he thought the dilettante's request was meant to be a joke. "Oh, no ... Ms. Thaddaye. You are looking at the bulk of the exhibition material here, in my office. These are not for sale, and I'm not certain what will happen to them after the exhibition itself." Fearing the woman might accuse him of wasting her time, Mikel drove right to the point. "Ms. Thaddaye, I'd like to ask you something. Perhaps, something personal ... why do you want the painting downstairs?"

Marjorie sighed. A shame. Well, at least she had asked. It wasn't as though she didn't have millions to toss around. She shook her head a little and took a seat, crossing her legs and watching him as he asked her why she wanted the original painting she had seen.

"Because I am an art collector and I nearly always get what I want," she said, cocking an eyebrow at him. "I like the painting, so I made an offer. A blank check offer, mind you. A gallery is a business and therefore sales keep it afloat. That is where people such as myself come in, as you know. Customers. Admirers. I see a piece I like, I buy it. End of story," she finished, tilting her head and giving him a curious smile. "Why?"

Mikel regarded the heiress with a curious, charming smile of his own. There was an excitement, an arousal inside Mikel's stomach that was not sexual. It was almost cruel, what Mikel expected. But, he wanted to know - he wanted to know if his theory about Kassi's paintings was correct, and if they indeed had an generative effect on people consumed with deep, hidden pain. From the outside, Ms. Thaddaye appeared the envy of every established woman seeking new avenues of wealth, and conspicuous consumption. This woman was the pinnacle of such a mindset, and Mikel had this sense - he couldn't quite put his finger on it - that were Ms. Thaddaye to genuinely delve into the paintings, they would act as a mirror and show the woman her true form with unflinching, radical clarity.

"Humor me, if you would, Ms. Thaddaye ... please stand and find any painting in this room that appeals to you. Any one at all ... then please simply gaze into it and tell me what you see."

Last edited:
Marjorie gave him a look that very clearly asked if he was serious, but his returning look told her that he was. What was this, some sort of experiment? So cruel. All she wanted was a purchase.. but, people in the art world tended to be eccentric. So perhaps she had to play his game before he accepted her money and let her walk away with a painting. Frustrating. She shrugged and got up, doing a slow stroll around the room until her eyes landed on a piece she hadn't noticed before. It was a man and his daughter, presumably, sitting on a bench in the park and feeding the birds. She stared at it for a long moment, forcefully reminded of how her father had been so close to her, only to turn her away when she needed help.

"I do not think this is necessary," she murmured, shaking her head to rid herself of the memories before turning away from the painting. Tears were threatening to fall and she could feel her fragile mental walls starting to crack under the simple pressure of being surrounded by these works of art. "I will await an invitation to the exhibit. If that is all, Mr. Stedler.."

Mikel stood up and held his hand out gently, stopping Marjorie's desire to flee. "Please, Ms. Thaddaye. I asked you here for a purpose. You see, this is indeed a gallery. We do operate on a profit, selling art to prospective purchasers and clients. But, there's another aspect to a gallery that you seem to be missing. Galleries are also cultural institutions. We are selective about what comes in and what leaves through our doors, and every Gallery operates under different standards. Under normal circumstances, I'd be happy to sell you whatever art piqued your fancy. But, this art is different."

Mikel crossed his arms and walked over to the picture of the father and daughter. "There's something ... profound and special about the way this art affects people." He turns back to Marjorie and looks deep into her eyes. "Marjorie, I sensed you desperately needed the painting downstairs. Not as decoration, but for something else. If you can convince me you deserve it, I will consider selling it to you."

"I do not beg, Mr. Stedler, and I deserve nothing. That is why I buy everything instead of having it handed to me," Marjorie informed him, then she paused as the phone in her purse started ringing. Eugh. Probably some airhead woman inviting her to yet another dinner party where she had to go and be best friends. She frowned and pulled it out, then paused as she saw the screen. "Excuse me a moment," she murmured, stepping around Mikel and going just outside the office door before answering her phone.

"Hi, honey.. No, no, I'm at home.." she said, glancing back at Mikel to make sure he didn't say anything out loud. "What? Oh, sure, lunch sounds great. Where are you? ... Oh.. Alright. I'll be there soon.." she murmured, slowly hanging up the phone. She hesitated, then put it back in her purse and gave Mikel half a smile.

"I am afraid this will have to wait for another time, Mr. Stedler. I am required elsewhere."

Mikel watched Ms. Thaddaye with caution when she answered the phone, and when she glanced at him. Was that pleading in her eyes for me to be quiet? As the woman walked away to take her call, Mikel thought he had seen something out of place. Something on the woman's skin that looked familiar to Mikel. It reminded him of the tribulations of Uncle Karl and Aunt Heddie. Mikel felt he knew what was happening, and Ms. Thaddaye's exit proved she was on a leash and it had been tugged. Hard. Mikel sighed in sympathy, and then took on a personal, solemn tone.

"Look, Ms. Thad ... Marjorie. I'm not trying to be cruel. I think I understand your situation, a bit. These paintings you seek are special. They heal. I don't know how, but they do. Purchasing art from me is a personal endeavor, especially in this case. And, I'd like for you to return. Because if the painting downstairs could help you," Mikel said nodding to Marjorie's arm bruises, "I'd be willing to give it to you as a gift." Mikel lowered his head, not knowing how the woman would react to such a personal interjection of compassion.

"Come, I'll walk you out ..."

Marjorie shifted a bit, automatically covering the bruises with her hand as she frowned at him. Normally she would have lashed out at him for daring to speak to her that way, but she couldn't. She glanced back at the room of paintings, then turned to the stairs and walked down with him in silence. It was not until they got to the door and she was pulling her jacket back on that she looked back up at Mikel.

"I will be back," she said simply, giving him a small smile of thanks before resuming her calm and cold expression that she normally wore. She turned and left, not saying a word to her driver as he jumped out of the car and opened the door for her. Just like that, she was gone, in a hurry to get home since her husband had managed to get there first.

"Good-bye, Marjorie," Mikel said quietly to himself.

As Marjorie's car drove away, and the sputter from the muffler blended into the general background noise of city life, Mikel head another noise. It was the steady clicking of low heels coming from the end of the street that lead from Kassi's apartment. Mikel gave a side glance and was disturbed to find that the woman was charging straight at him. She stopped short and planted herself a mere foot from where Mikel stood. "Can I help you," Mikel asked. His voice was a combination of polite reservation concerned friendliness.

"Possibly ... are you Mikel Stedler?" Kate's question came with the authority of a police officer.

"I am," he said in his deep voice.

"May I speak with you please?" The question came as a statement, and her tone left no room to negotiate. This was a woman who had something on her mind, and it involved Mikel.

"May I ask what this pertains to?" Mikel asked.

"Kassi."

Mikel felt both relieved and terrified. "Won't you come inside, where we can talk in private?" His office was getting an inordinate amount of traffic today, and he wondered if the paintings would give them enough room. The thought of being cramped in confined quarters with this woman didn't strike Mikel as a pleasurable experience.

Mikel made certain the Gallery was empty, then locked the door. He led Kate upstairs to his office, and offered her a seat. She sat, and her bag crashed on the table harder than she intended. She seemed angry. When she looked up, she saw Kassi's paintings surrounding her and Mikel. Kate's glare turned venomous, and Mikel swore he saw her bare teeth.

"S-So," Mikel began. He wanted to get to the heart of this matter, and dispensed with the offering of refreshments. "What can I do for you? Where's Kassi"

"She's with me ... she's safe."

"Oh, thank goodness," Mikel breathed to himself, relieved.

"What is your interest in Kassi, specifically?" Kate asked.

"Excuse me?" Mikel asked.

"What do you want from her?" Kate stared at the large man with an unintimidated spirit that felt poised to burst into flames with but a single match.

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure this is any of your business. Kassi and I are friends. What's your role in this?" Mikel was curious what this pushy woman was getting at, but she had information about Kassi. He decided to play along, for the moment with her acrid attitude.

"I'm her friend. And she came to me VERY distraught after you lost your temper. She's told me everything ... including, that you think she's your Other!"

Mikel swallowed discreetly. He needed to be careful in these next few minutes. This woman seems concerned about Kassi's welfare, but she could also ruin him with misguided slander should he misspeak. "I take it you know that Kassi is ..."

"Unmarked? Yes, I know. And, I must admit, MR. STEDLER, from a professional point of view, your role in this affair leaves much to be desired." Mikel found himself still standing, unintentionally. He sighed, and took a seat at the nearest quadrant of the circular table.

"I think I know what you're getting at, Miss ...?"

"Miller," she said sharply, like a whip, "Kate Miller, certified and board-licensed social worker and therapist. I'm Kassi's friend, and you have some explaining to do."

The situation began to dawn on Mikel, and he made the near fatal mistake of getting comfortable, and releasing a nervous laugh. Kate took the expression as dismissive, and thrust her hand into her bag and pulled out her phone. "I do hope you take this seriously, Mr. Stedler ... I have protective services on speed-dial, and the superintendent is a personal friend. I'd hate for you to be imprisoned for ..."

"Just hold it right there," Mikel insisted. He held his hand up, in a stopping pose, fingers pointed at Kate's phone. "I see where you're going, and I AM taking this seriously." He wanted to threaten Kate with slander, but thought it better to keep quiet.

"Frankly, I think you're taking advantage of a young, isolated Unmarked artist, and you're manipulating her for your own gains." She looks around, "It appears you have swindled her out of her beautiful collection. Have you no shame?"

Mikel was horrified by this woman's accusations. He had to admit that the situation between himself and Kassi was unique and ... complicated. Someone without an insider's eye into their hearts would certainly be tempted to draw the same conclusion. It was then that Mikel noticed something. Kate was still wearing her trench coat, which was odd given the poor ventilation and warmer temperatures in his office. And her neck was covered in bruises.

Suddenly, an inquisitive growl came from Mikel's desk chair. Kate glanced over quickly, then balked at the sight of Gün steadily approaching Kate's leg. "What on Earth is that!?"

"That is my friend, Gün. Old friend, this is Ms. Miller. She thinks I mean to harm Kassi."

Gün stalks to Kate's heeled foot and sniffs slowly. He raises his head and looks at Kate with a look nothing short of divine wisdom. The feline then leaps upon the table, and begins to bat away Kate's phone with irritation as he saunters toward the shelving unit, and up onto his high perch. Kate is left literally speechless. Mikel would later thanks his friend for interrupting Kate's over-protective rant, for it gave Mikel the room to explain himself while not under the lens of incrimination.

"Ms. Miller ... may I call you Kate? ... I know these circumstances seem, well odd. I'm not entirely sure of them myself. But, they all center Kassi and the way she mysteriously entered my life just two days ago. I know she's Unmarked, and just found out last night ... did you know she was ready to jump on a bus and flee to Aurendale? She's a gentle, beautiful, but skittish creature ... as she doesn't deserve the wretched injustice she's had to endure. I am Marked, but have not felt my calling ... and I don't know if I ever will. And after meeting Kassi, I'm don't know that I'd want to answer. I believe in companionship by choice, like my friend, Gün. I don't have all the answers, nor have I thought of every angle. But, I do know that Kassi needs help, and I feel honored to be able to help her. She's at her breaking point, and I'm trying to re-build her to find happiness." Mikel looks down, "Even if that mean with someone else."

Kate's fiery gaze began to soften. Mikel's voice sounded sincere, without a hint of smarmy caginess so often found with the manipulative-types. He also declared, not at all subtly, his disgust of the way the Unmarked are treated by society. He was honest, or trying to be honest, she thought. "Why did you argue?" Kate asked.

Mikel sighed heavily. "She was unable to sleep, or so she told me, and decided to walk around the city at night. I think she wandered into Alexsandertown."

Kate closed her eyes and sighed, looking at the table. "What happened?"

"She was accosted, and got into some scuffle over money with one of the street urchins." Mikel took a deadly serious tone. "She escaped, but it could have been much, much worse. I've been vocal in my protests against the cruelty our society wages against the Unmarked, and she bade me to 'not do anything stupid,' for fear I would be harmed. I simply pointed out she needs to comply with the same standard, because losing her would ..."

Kate looked up, curious for Mikel to finish his thought, and saw Mikel retreating into himself. It was then that Kate apprehended the northman, as he radiated his quietly deep and intense emotional power. Kate felt uncomfortable, and began to speak. "Mikel, I-"

"Do you require any further information? ..." Mikel's eyes were red and swollen, but did not bleed liquid pain from sheer willpower. He felt rent apart by Kate's quesitons, and, however devoted the sentiment of her mission, Mikel refused to crack in front of her. "... Kate." Mikel turned, and stood by his window. Gün roused himself, and crept down on to Mikel's shoulder and fell asleep.

Kate felt abashed at Mikel's honesty and earnestness. Kate genuinely did not think such people existed anymore, if ever. "She ... wanted me to tell you she's sorry."

"I don't want an apology ... I want her to be safe." Mikel's facade of calm was cracking. He knew it, and so did Kate. "I don't care about myself or my comfort. I just ... want her to take care of herself and not be in senseless danger."

"She had a nightmare about you," Kate said. "She told me she dreamed you were attacked, and very injured. It upset her so much she didn't want to return to sleep, because she didn't want to ever face the possibility of experiencing that."

Mikel sighed. "What do you think, Kate? What should I do? What should we do?"

Kate was caught off -guard by Mikel's questions. She fully intended on exposing Mikel to be a manipulative fraud, in ardent defense of her friend. Kate was not prepared to counsel a heart-broken man she herself could not help but feel for. "I ... I don't know, Mikel." Kate decided her visit should come to an end. She stood and collected her things.

"Kate," Mikel asked.

"Yes?" she said.

"Please tell her there is no reason to apologize, and I should not have been so angry. And please tell her that I love her, dearly."

........................................................................................................................................................​

Kate Miller made the listless walk back to her apartment, and found Kassi engrossed in her book. She explained all that happened, and what Mikel had told her - especially, how he loved her.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ethys
Kassi was quiet. Kate's explanation had taken a few minutes, and now she wasn't sure what to think. Mikel was upset, but so was she. It had been two days since she met this man and her world was spinning in circles. Everything felt muddled. The only clear thought she had was that she was aching to see him again, even if he was still angry with her or upset that she had done something so foolish without thinking about it. She frowned to herself, not knowing what to do. Going to him now may not be wise, but she could not go later because she knew she would end up talking herself out of it.

"I don't want to lose him, Kate," she finally said, looking up at her friend. "You said you believe him, and I do too.. but.. what do I do?" she asked, biting her lower lip with anxiety. If she lost Mikel, then the only person she really had left in her life was Kate, and she didn't want to put all of her worries and woes onto one woman who already had a difficult job. She needed Mikel.

Kate sat near Kassi on the couch, one leg curled beneath her. Kassi sat staring at her pleadingly, and Kate knew Kassi would hang on her every word. The young woman needed advice, good advice. Not just the counsel that might come from a professional social worker, but the loving wisdom from a friend who had nothing but Kassi's best interest at heart. For her part, Kate felt Mikel could be trusted and wanted the best for Kassi. However, if Kate had her druthers, she would inter Kassi into an intensive therapy program to undue the psychological scarring from her isolation and latent background paranoid brought on my persecution. That may happen over time by Kate simply being available for Kassi at the end of every day. Kate was slightly concerned about Kassi's over-dependence on pleasing Mikel, or securing his approval. But then, who doesn't when they fall in love.

Kate looped a stray hair from Kassi's face, and looked into her eyes. "Kassi, I think you should go to Mikel ... right now. I don't think he's angry, I think he was just scared of being hurt because he feels so deeply for you. I could see it in his eyes ... which are divine, by the way." She tried to elicit a tiny laugh from Kassi to lighten her mood. "I would tell him that his anger frightened you ... you are very sensitive to people's feelings. It's probably why you are still untainted by bitterness after all these years. He needs to watch that, and he won't know unless you tell him. Okay?"

Kate reached and gave Kassi a lasting hug, kissing her on her temple. "Thank you so much for coming to me when you were in need ... it means a lot."

Kassi smiled a bit when Kate mentioned Mikel's eyes. She was right. Those eyes were amazing, and so intense.. Oh, she could gaze into them all day long and not get bored. That thought almost sent her off daydreaming, but she mentally scolded herself and focused on what Kate was saying. She wasn't sure she could be that straight forward with Mikel, but she was willing to try anything to get back on good terms with him. She nodded and gave Kate a hug, thankful for her friend.

"You're welcome, and thank you.. for everything," she said with a smile. She stood up and went toward the door, pausing before she opened it. "I hope you liked the painting, Kate. I left it to apologize for how I made you sad. It wasn't because of you, it was just because of me. You're my best friend," she said softly, glancing back at the woman before leaving to go see Mikel.

She went down the stairs, deciding she didn't want to wait for the elevator. Somewhere between the second and third floor, she realized that she probably should have gone back up to her apartment to change into clothes that weren't dirty pajamas, but she didn't care. If she went back, she would chicken out. She had to face him right now. And so she did. She went to the gallery, going inside and right up the stairs to his office since there was nobody downstairs. Thankfully the office door was open, because she stepped inside without pause and did her very best not to let her hands shake.

"Mikel, I'm sorry. You scared me when you were angry and Kate said to tell you because otherwise you wouldn't know and I don't want to fight, I just want to be with you. I don't want to watch you get hurt again," she said, her voice very quick as it had been when she was babbling to Kate about her problems. She was quite anxious, but also quite desperate to get some sort of approval from him, preferably in the form of a hug.

Mikel's heart leapt higher and higher when he heard footsteps climbing up to his office. When he saw Kassi, Mikel's innards turned inside out with joy. Before Mikel could rise from his seat, Kassi was blabbering.

"Mikel, I'm sorry. You scared me when you were angry and Kate said ...

Mikel was listening, and he wasn't. His feet were moving without his knowing, as his arms spread wide of their own accord. Mikel was nearly on top of her when she uttered "... I don't want to watch you get hurt again." Mikel's strong arms wove around his sweet Kassi and held her fast. He lifted her up and had to restrain his strength for fear of crushing her. His jaw was quivering, and he squinted from shutting his eyes so tightly. His breath came warm and tearful.

"I'm sorry for my anger ... I won't raise my voice like that again ... please, forgive me."

"Of course I forgive you," she murmured, her own arms curled tight around him. She had her head buried against his chest, eyes closed as she simply took him in. He was so much stronger than she was. In comparison, she actually seemed quite frail, but instead of making her feel weak it simply made her feel safe. He was warm and there was something about his scent that made her feel at home. She slowly relaxed, her anxious pulse calming as she simply held him and allowed him to do the same to her. The hold actually relaxed her so much that her exhaustion - which had been held at bay for the past few hours thanks to everything that was going on - came rushing back like a flood. She yawned, trying to hold it back and failing miserably. "You're like a lumberjack teddy bear," she mumbled absently, not realizing she had spoken out loud.

Mikel laughed out loud at the long-missed Kassi-ness, wiping his face and sitting down in a chair by the table. He motioned for Kassi to come, and she sat on his lap. They squeezed and cuddled one another for what seemed like an eternity. The sides of their faces grazed lovingly, and Mikel felt as if he would begin to float away from the bliss. He was certain Kassi could feel his heart pounding strongly within his chest. He hoped she noticed, because she was the reason his heart beat so fiercely.

After a time, Mikel ran his finger in a circle about Kassi's sternum. She could hear Mikel opening his mouth, thinking carefully about what to say. "I just was so scared I could have lost you … and I feel so fortunate for having just found you, but … that's no excuse for me raising my voice." He lifted up his head, and kissed the underside of her jaw. He was clean-shaved, so his smooth chin tickled Kassi's neck.

"Besides," Mikel began again, returning to Kassi's sternum to draw figure-eights, "I'm terrified of misbehaving now, because I know Kate will be coming after me."

Kassi went with Mikel, curling up happily in his lap. She had her head tucked under his chin against his chest, listening to his heart. It was a beautiful lullaby, easing her into a far more relaxed state of mind. Her thoughts drifted and she closed her eyes until he opened his mouth. She blinked and started laughing in surprise, having been half asleep in his arms when he started speaking.

"You're scared of Kate? She's one of the nicest people I've ever met!"

"Oh, my ... She must have shed her nice coat just for you. She was more frightening than an avalanche," he laughed. "I'm glad you have her as a friend ... she's feisty, and will support you. That's important." Mikel could see Kassi was destined for slumber. He wanted to tell her about Marjorie, but decided to wait until later. There was a topic Mikel wanted to broach while Kassi was still semi-conscious.

"Kassi, ... It's still afternoon. Why don't I bring you home with me? You can fall asleep in the car, and I'll carry you to bed where you can sleep as much as you want. When you wake up, we can have that dinner. My sister has clothes there, and you're about her size ... what do you say?"