Let's talk about J-Rock....

Are you talking about Exist Trace?

Yeah, the second one is pretty cool and way more up my alley. I mean, I'm not dismissing producers of pop labels in the east either as there are plenty talented individuals who produce good contemporary music such as Yasutaka Nakata (who has produced the likes of Kiriko Takemura, Scandal, Perfume, etc). In fact, I really like a lot of the aforementioned pop artist's music especially Kiriko's stuff as Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.

YES! THANK YOU! Oh god. I got some listening to do!

I do love their sound alot more then I remembered I did. The drums are fantastic!

There is a female band I forgot the name off. Their thing is visual kei asd fuck, but instead of being pretty boys looking like girls, they are girls looking like pretty boys. Their sound was really great though, and I really wish I could remember their damn name.
Exist Trace, probably. o_o

Edit: nvm, you already found it XD

Seriusly. I am binge listening to them now. S'great stuff.

Wasn't really been into much visual kei after the first generation of artists, but that video wasn't too bad. Found it enjoyable.

is one of their best I feel. They feel oldschool in their approach, so that could be why Gowi. That and the singer is talented as hell.

I'm glad I found others who listen to jrock here on Iwaku ^~^

Well, the music of the far east is wonderful and I am glad this discussion thread happened as well. Here's one of my favorites who are working on something new as far as I've heard:

Not all limited to rock, but here's some of my favorite releases from Japan this year:

Passepied - Makunouchi ISM
Hiromi Uehara's Trio Project - Alive
Takako Minekawa & Dustin Wong - Savage Imagination
Aki Takase La Planète - Flying Soul
Goto Mariko - Linux in Broken Box
Ichiko Aoba - 0%
Shiina Ringo - Gyakuyunyu Kowankyoku
Negoto - "Z"OOM
Kikagaku Moyo - Mammatus Clouds
Kinoko Teikoku - Fake World Wonderland
Krary Pamyu Pamyu - Pika Pika Fantajin
Anthem - Absolute World
Galneryus - Vetelgyus
Kinoco Hotel - Marianne No Jubaku
Eiko Ishibashi - Car and Freezer
Charisma.com - DIStopping

Here. Have the most badass old men on the planet

Either I skimmed this too quickly so no one mentioned Golden Bomber or Bump of Chicken which are quite possibly the most well known here? I don't think well known is the phrase I am looking for.

From Japan's best Artists 2014 (I watched this like last week and omg it was so funny.) Other artists featured here were (of course) AKB48 and many of their side projects, Exile Tribe, Krary Pamyu Pamyu and many many others.
ゴールデンボンバー(Golden Bomber)

Then Meeves bby. Miyavi. Touring in LA right now I believe. This is back from September, but Meeves for ya.

Okay. Well I'm probably missing, like, half of the bands I know of and there's probably some Jpop thrown in as well and I don't even listen to half of these anymore but...

In Alphabetical order, not by how much I like them:

9goats blackout
Abingdon boys school
Acid Black Cherry
Ake•boshi
Alice Nine
ALvino
An Café
Angelo
Asian Kung-Fu Generation
Ayabie
Ayumi Hamasaki
bis
Boom Boom Satellites
the brilliant green
BUCK-TICK
Bull Zeichen 88
DANGERGANG
Dir en grey
DuelJewel
exist†trace
FLOW
Gackt
Galneryus
The GazettE
Girugamesh (one of my favorites)
GLAY
Golden Bomber (because they're fucking hilariously inappropriate)
hide
HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR
Janne Da Arc
Kagrra,
Kagerou
Kanon x Kanon
Kanon Wakeshima
Kirito
Kra
L'Arc~en~Ciel
Lead
LM.C
Malice Mizer
MAXIMUM THE HORMONE
Merry
Miyavi
Moi Dix Mois
Monkey Majik (also a favorite, even if they're super soft rock and really not the J-rock you're expecting)
MUCC
Nightmare
ONE OK ROCK (one of my favorites)
Pierrot (my first Jrock band EVAR <3)
Psycho le Cemu
RADWIMPS
Sadie
SADS
SCREW
SID (one of my favorites)
SuG
TMRevolution (mostly pop but whatevs)
UVERworld
Versailles
Vidoll
vistlip
X JAPAN
ZORO

Deeper Deeper by ONE OK ROCK

Drain by Girugamesh

Aikagi (unplugged) by SID - the vocalist's emotion and lyrics are why I love this band so fucking much. They're mostly known for their themes for anime like: Bleach, Black Butler, and FMA:Brotherhood.

Fly by Monkey Majik

Annnd this is the band that started it all XD
Mad Sky by Pierrot

Last edited:
@phantasmagoricStoner Dir en Grey has been my favourite band for years hands down! ^5 What's your favorite album/song?

WHY IS DEATHGAZE NOT ON YOUR LIST @Dawn

I don't see MoNoLith either :o

@Hellis If you like J-rap/hip-hop listen to the shit below. Also: you're a Swede, right? I listen to Norsk hip-hop heheh

@heliacalRebirth I have to say Dum Spiro Spero is still my favourite. My fave song would be the one that I posted in my first post~~ I heard they're releasing a new album next week, I'm excited :D

Reactions: Britty
@heliacalRebirth BECAUSE I SAID I FORGOT SOME OF THEM OMG D:

Like I forgot Plastic Tree. And Dolly. And so many more. ):<

Reactions: heliacalRebirth
@heliacalRebirth BECAUSE I SAID I FORGOT SOME OF THEM OMG D:

Like I forgot Plastic Tree. And Dolly. And so many more. ):<
Plastic Tree is a suprisingly awesome live band. I don't listen to them at all but my ex dragged me to their show years ago. They were really good on stage.

Did someone say....J-Rock? WELL HELLO WAY TO BRING ME OUT OF MY LURKER STATUS.

Let's start with the holy gods, Dir en grey. These old sexy men are releasing a new album next week. It will be sexy, painful and amazing.

Want some more sexy rock? BETTER BUCKLE DOWN AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SECOND PAIR OF UNDIES.
Lynch. Sex gods right here. You're welcome.

DID SOMEONE SAY IT IS TIME TO ROCK OUT AND JUMP AROUND LIKE MONKEYS?
Girguamesh. That's right.

1237345737377.jpg

No, Not that. JFC THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.
Enjoy.

Words will never be able to describe how badly I miss and love D'espairsRay.

READY TO KICK WALLS IN AND RIP OUT SOME EYEBALLS? I AM!
Maximum the Hormone

E n j o y.

To this day, Maximum the Hormone are still the most fun of all jrock bands

Ahh ABC is hugely popular too. Their new concept album will come out soon, in February... though. Idk. Not sure how I feel about it.

I'll just casually slip Miyavi here once more.

Reactions: Britty