Let's Go On A Quest!

D

Daz

The inevitable has happened. I saw the shiny post encouraging people to engage with the Bored Games section, and got all excited by new forum game ideas. So I have decided I would like to have a go at making a quest game! What is a quest game though? Being the lazy git I am, I provide you with someone else's explanation:

2. QUEST GAMES.

If you've ever been part of MS Paint Adventures or 4chan's Quests board, you know what this is. The thread owner writes a story, and the audience can participate by making suggestions for what happens next. The OP picks one based on what they like best or what got suggested the most, and writes the next part of the story based on that suggestion. It's sort of like oldschool text-based adventure games, but not as instant or as limited. These threads are too interactive to go in Showcasing and have too little discussion to go in General Chatting, but Bored Games is a perfect fit.

Essentially I write part of a story, then you make suggestions for how the story advances. If a suggestion gets lots of votes or I particularly like it, then I'll continue the story using that idea. My plan is to give ~3 days for suggestions after posting part of the story, then try to have a story update posted within ~3 days. Those time frames could change, but I want to stay roughly within that time range to keep things active without being too time-demanding.

Time for audience input before the story has even began! Mostly so I can check people are interested before I go all-in. What genre would you like the quest to be? Note that regardless of what genre is chosen there will almost certainly be an element of comedy, since most of my writing ends up involving an element of comedy. Most. Generally not university assessments.

I vote for either Fantasy or Sci-Fi, if only because that allows for more creative freedom than an urban setting.

Victorian society, because... because... ah. Hm.

Wait, that's not a genre. I say horror! (Mixed with comedy)

My preference would be something Fantasy/Sci-Fi-esque :D

I don't care, I'm just happy @Daz is back! :)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Starlighter and Daz
I vote for either Fantasy or Sci-Fi, if only because that allows for more creative freedom than an urban setting.
My preference would be something Fantasy/Sci-Fi-esque :D
Victorian society, because... because... ah. Hm.

Wait, that's not a genre. I say horror! (Mixed with comedy)
Sci Fi = 2
Fantasy = 2
Horror = 1
Alas, I have limited knowledge of Victorian society, which it turns out makes writing a story in a Victorian setting rather difficult.

I don't care, I'm just happy @Daz is back! :)
y-you-b-baka_fb_2577683.jpg

hmm.... a vote for fantasy from me.
quality blanny image there Daz. :3*
imeanwut
*edit: Meaning I like it, not intending to imply anything bad, which I realized after posting >.>;;

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Daz
My vote goes to horror.

Reactions: A.O. Taku
Sci Fi = 2
Fantasy = 3
Horror = 2

Fantasy it is then! First part coming up soon...

Sci Fi = 2
Fantasy = 3
Horror = 2

Fantasy it is then! First part coming up soon...
Wait, can I call my friends and pressure them into voting horror or is it too late?

"Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, who has the most dough?"

A scrawny boy by the name of Tom chanted the rhyme to himself, swinging his legs over the edge of the balcony he sat upon. With the sun hung high, the park below was fairly busy, giving Tom plenty of victims to choose from. Tongue stuck out in concentration, Tom's charcoal eyes darted about the busy scene before settling on a particular person. It was a man, probably about 30, dressed in a smart suit with a stony face- literally. From what Tom could tell this man's power must be related to transforming into rock, for patches of the man's skin were covered in a gravelly texture: not that Tom particularly cared. No, all Tom cared about was how much gold the guy was carrying, and whether he could steal it. You might expect a no-nonsense businessman to be hard to steal from, but Tom knew it was exactly this confidence which made pick-pocketing them a breeze. Plus, by the looks of that suit, there was plenty to be stealing.

Hopping down from the balcony, Tom landed at the park's edge with ease, luminescent daisies squashed beneath his feet. As Tom scurried through the crowd towards his target, he mentally ran through his plan; even having done this a million times before, Tom liked to remind himself of his routine to get in the zone. It always began with...

~~~

I hope you like the introduction to this tale! I rather fancied writing an antihero, thus our thieving Tom was born. Shall he develop into an honest hero or full-fledged villain? You shall decide... as the story progresses. For now the first input needed is suggestions for what Tom's magical power should be, and how he should use it it to rob someone. There are no restrictions on what his power can be, so suggest the most absurd abilities you want to. I'll pick the idea which gets the most positive ratings, so make sure to like any ideas you, well, like.​

It always began with... waking up Jerry.

-

Tom's shadow has been overridden by a 2D shadow-like entity that can rise off the ground (while still connected to a shadow point based off Tom). Black with yellow triangles for eyes and a jagged grin like on carved pumpkins.

Jerry is a "malevolent spirit" formerly called the Evil Pitch King Jeremiah, a bombastic (so-called) demon lord bent on world domination and puns. Except everyone seems incapable of taking him seriously and are convinced this specter is just a jokester/illusion, which gives Tom the opportunity to pickpocket while his target is distracted. People also, when not laughing at him, tend to flatly ignore Jerry so he could just as well slip a shadow hand into someone's pocket and go thieving himself.

Jerry himself has lost most of his power and can basically just grab things or do whatever with his hands. But every now and then, he can use his powers of darkness to scratch someone's soul —giving them indigestion, depression, or a pseudo-heart attack. Is also capable of granting very base wishes for very simple things (like wishing for a single apple, or paper. But the wishes always have a weird side-affect. So the apple would be just a bit too tart, and also purple. Or the paper would have really narrowly spaced lines. That's pretty much the extent of his wish granting, and also demonstrations of his "sheer villainy"!)

-

"(Yawn...) !! Ahh!! I see you groveling once more for the dark magnificence of Evil King Jerry, slave! Mwua-hah-hah... hah.. ha... (yawn)."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
For now the first input needed is suggestions for what Tom's magical power should be, and how he should use it it to rob someone. There are no restrictions on what his power can be, so suggest the most absurd abilities you want to.

Absurd - maybe. Silly - definitely. Tom can summon the power to make the person who he concentrates on to briefly see him as whatever living being they love they most (this could be a pet, a baby, their lover, their grandpa, a rock star, etc.). The trick is to keep the victim in "the zone" and not break the illusion for long enough to pick their pocket. Power can be augmented by barking, licking hand, drooling, singing, flirtation, etc. Whatever feeds into the illusion. (Bystanders will not see the illusion, only the mark.) Tom will pick up the image from his victim of whatever he is appearing like -- so he'll know when the illusion starts to fade.

Probability switching is Tom's main power. Through his unique gift, he can shift the odds in his favor. So if a pickpocket job has a 99% fail rate and a 1% success rate, he can flip it to be otherwise. He can also shift it with any other probability in the area. The only numbers he can't shift are 0 and 100. So if something is always or never going to happen, he can't change it.

It also doesn't work in lotto for some reason.

Probability switching is Tom's main power. Through his unique gift, he can shift the odds in his favor. So if a pickpocket job has a 99% fail rate and a 1% success rate, he can flip it to be otherwise. He can also shift it with any other probability in the area. The only numbers he can't shift are 0 and 100. So if something is always or never going to happen, he can't change it.

It also doesn't work in lotto for some reason.
You haven't been stalking me, have you? Because I finished a CS for a character with probability manipulation abilities just yesterday :P

You haven't been stalking me, have you? Because I finished a CS for a character with probability manipulation abilities just yesterday :P

XD. Nope. I was basing off of my own character with the same power. Great minds think a like.

Ok. Since my post is the biggest, and because Daz is showing illegal bias to Lucky, I nominate myself as the victor!!

╰(▔∀▔)╯

(No, this isn't a bump post, why do you ask?)

I'll wait until tomorrow for any more ideas or voting, then get writing!