Lethal Reword 2: Broken World

"I've told people this, but... outside of my home, no one really understands..." She sighs, shaking her head and scooting over to allow him a less rocky place to lay down. "...That's so terrible. A wizard really did do it, huh...? I guess you have it easier than most wizard-created things... imagine if you were..." She thinks for a moment. "...An owlbear. Or are those natural? I never really payed attention to that part of class..." She sighs, shrugging in a nonchalant manner.

"I grew up in Lossu, with my adopted parents and their son - my younger brother. It's a village to the north... it's also known as 'the dragon's city', on account of our ruler, and the worth placed on the dragon pantheon. You'd think a dragonblooded person would grow up all cozy in a place like that, huh...?" She gives a bitter smile. "...It'd have been like that if I were of metallic heritage than chromatic.... What about you?"

"One would think, yes." He grunted and readjusted himself. "I'm from Mir-el-Bar. It's a port well to the south. Had a pretty good childhood, all considered, but I didn't want to go into the family business. I'm starting to wish I'd stuck around long enough to learn smithing, though."

She smiles at him, adjusting her glasses. "My ma' taught me to smith, actually. It was her deal back home. Real beast of a woman, which I think was why da' liked her. He was a real skinny guy, himself. Taught me to cook." She giggles a bit. "It's a good thing my little brother took after mom. A wimpy little half-orc wouldn't do at all."

She shrugged, "Everyone was hoping I would go into bureaucracy at home. Though I could do some good... but... well, everyone was so... dishonest. I mean, I love gold. Gold and silver and all things of value that sparkle... but there are certain things I wouldn't do for money... I'd have become a blacksmith like ma' or a cook like da' if I stuck around home..." Her eyes glaze over, and she sighs slightly. "...I miss home. A lot. Nothing I'd rather do than go home, give them all a big hug, and have some of da's stew... but... I have... other matters, first." She lets out a shuddering sigh, looking away from him.

"I really had hoped it'd just be the two of us...but alright, you can come along." Angela started walking out of the town.
"I don't think we'll have too much issue with humans, unless if we do something that particularly offends them."

[size=-2]
Alexius let out a laugh, thrilling to the ear and still blinked a little at its deepness. The brightly colored garments he wore, their blood reds and flashy silvers, were all for his game. Baubles adorned his fingers and his hair was tucked neatly beneath a crimson hood. A gambler's grin shone from his face, his eyes twinkling as he cheated the game, making sure he won more than he lost. Once, every five or so games, he would let one win, just to prove they could, and go back to cheating scandalously.

"Try your luck, fair lady, though it seems you stole all the good fortune from the mistress of beauty herself," Alexius called smoothly, winking with roguish boldness at a young maiden standing near the front. The half-woman blushed deeply and stepped forward. He could tell the air of a girl with money to spend and wondered briefly how opposed she would be to bedding with him.

A loud shout and a sharp clatter arose from down the street. Scooping up his game pieces, Alexius groped the woman as he ran cheerfully from the guards. A disgruntled loser, no doubt, had tipped off the guards. Skidding to a halt behind the inn, Alexius pulled off the red cloak, tunic, hood, and his baubles. Bundling the clothing up, he stashed it under the step of the inn, having hidden a tunic of coarse brown cloth there just the previous night.

He could hear the guards now asking about a man all in red with gaudy baubles on his fingers. The Trickster, known in several major cities for his antics, though never serious enough to be sought after diligently. Cheating games and people, just one of his hidden skills, he thought with a chuckle, nearly bumping into what seemed to be a suspicious looking woman

"...too much issue with humans, unless if we do something that particularly offends them."
[/size]​

Angela turned as another person bumped into her. This was apparently her day for being run into.
"Oh, sorry about that. Are you alright?"

"Hmm. My uncle was the smith in my family. He also left home and became a caravan guard for a time. My sword was the one he took with him. It was his Journeyman's piece. He told me...well, he encouraged me. Said it was the most alive he'd ever felt, especially once he hooked up with some, er...interesting individuals."

He was silent a moment, then pushed himself to a sitting position, setting his massive hand gently on Frost's shoulder. "Hey, you okay, Frost? What's on your mind? Maybe I can help."

Frost jumps slightly at the touch, shyly scooting away. "...It's... nothing, really. Just... remembering the last group of people I tried to adventure with an help out. I wasn't used to people, then..." She sighs, resting her head on her curled-up legs. "...It... turned out badly. No one died, but... well, I feel I can at least trust you all. Though... I don't think I'll appreciate the coming of humans, half-elves, or bards of any sort."

She shrugs, "I left home... because I felt I was a danger to my family. My sorcerous abilities were a lot poorer than they were now... sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if I we had the money for me to get one of the tutors in the college to teach me... but, that's how it all goes, I guess..."

"Whoa, easy now. Yeah, not all crews work out. Uncle Dahvell had some stories of that kind of thing too..." Rhidel sighed. "You know, I always thought sorcery was like being a psion - all instinct and self-teaching. Though psions do have a pretty nasty learning curve, I guess." He sighed again, shrugging. "Well, the good ones, anyways."

He shook himself and changed the subject. "Er...I think I recall a sorceror in Mir-el-Bar who took on apprentices...it's been a few years, though. And he's a full human. You probably wouldn't like him."

Frost shakes her head. "It's not quite like that... sorcery... it's... well, it's in your blood. When you have it, it's like magic is sizzling just under your veins. In the beginning, you can't control it, and bad things happen. Later on, you come to love... that feeling. Power spreading through your blood, into your hands, swirling about in your mind just under your eyes... rippling along flesh and scales and finally releasing in a torrent of arcane ecstasy..." She trails off, biting her lower lip. "...Errr..."

Blushing a bit and changing the subject, "No, I don't much... um... like... humans. Not... errr... far-sighted enough... and too willy-nilly with their finances... back home... most of the major positions were occupied by dragons of various colors... it's... err, the only city that has each type of dragon working with some coherence... even those... err, 'crystal' dragons..." She had obviously become uncomfortable from the conversation.

"Psions are the same. Well, the ones with any power, or so I'm told. The rest of us have to sweat our asses off for the smallest effect." Rhidel realised he was starting to glower. No, he wasn't bitter at all, was he? "Er...right, then. So, uh...university, huh? How much does that cost?"

Lothar remained in his place by the fire in the tavern for a time without a drink and ate a bit out of one of the meals he had brought with him and then stood up, grabbed his backpack and walked out the door. He headed to the gates and shouldered his pack and kept his hands in his cloak.

"...The rest of us...?" She looks to him, looking him over. "You're a mentalist...?" She smiles, "Well isn't that a twist! Here I thought you were just the smartest warrior I've ever come across, but you've got the head-magic, too!" She listens a bit to his words, happy to have something distract her from her previous choice of words.

"As for the university... well, the dragons insist on being paid in gold. My parents really had to work to get me enrolled... a five hundred gold fee... and they had to pay extra for the special classes and the supplies. We really struggled for a while... my little brother ended up being unable to go, because we couldn't afford it..." She smiled, "He's still really bright though, and even managed to get into the town guards... mum taught him how to fight... not that he needed it, he's a big guy like you." She flexed her arm, putting a hand on it with a grin.

Rhidel didn't smile. Instead, he sighed. "No, I'm not a mentalist. Not really. I can manage to enhance my weapon a bit, but that's it." He hung his head. "Maybe...I dunno. Sometimes I feel like I'm chasing in Uncle D's footsteps and never catching up, you know? He's smarter than me, he was more able as a kid than I'll probably ever be...dammit..."

Rhi sighed and tried to pull himself together. It wasn't completely effective, but it did help some. "So...this brother of yours. Sounds like a good kid. Don't suppose I'll have a chance to meet him, hey? Any excuse to swap stories over a beer."

"You can enhance your weapon with your mind...?" Her eyes sparkle, and she scoots in closer. "That's incredible! It takes a sorcerer or wizard a bunch of words and a sprinkle of something-something to normally do that! I don't quite remember what the component was, but to be able to do so with concentration alone says a lot!"

She nods, "My brother - Sturm - he's a half-orc, and one of the cleverest guards in the city. He was the one who suggested putting clerics and wizards on the payroll, and personally worked, using his own money to equip the guards with curing and speed potions. He's made the town much safer, and if he isn't head guard by now, I'll wear a cursed amulet to half my size." She snorts, smiling. "You'd like him, I think... Maybe once I get enough money, I'll head back home. You can come with me, of course."

Frost gives him a kind smile - one with such enthusiasm, her glasses were almost knocked from her face. She catches them, placing them in their proper position with an attractive blush. Nervously laughing, she turns a bit away from him. "...Don't be so hard on yourself... you know, mother always told me... 'it doesn't matter if you fall down... just as long as you get back up and smash whatever did it's brains into goo'... she was a font of orcish wisdom, she was... though, I think it means that you should never give up on your dreams... just keep moving forward."

Angela walked slowly out of town, finally coming to a stop on the hill next to frost. She plopped down next to the sorceress, sighing as she did so.
"Man, it's like everyone wants to get a piece of me.." She glanced over at Frost, taking a moment to scratch the girl on the head.
"mmr, you're plenty cute behind that hood...anyways, I wanted to take some time out to get to know you before tomorrow."

Kunxaar followed a short distance behind Angela. He didn't join the others but sat a short distance away and looked out into Horizon, as if it could answer his questions. He removed his backpack and leaned against it as he looked out towards the swamp. He mumbled a short prayer and the stood to join the others.

Rhidel chuckled. "Different strengths, I suppose. Now that you mention it, I do feel kind of foolish comparing myself to a man twice my age. Speaking of proverbs, what is it that he always used to say...'Every Master began a Novice.' That's it."

He looked back at Angela as the woman commented on Frost's cuteness, then looked back at Frost, amusement on his face. "You know, I think she's right," came the amused rumble. Then he coughed, clearing his throat. "So! I take it we're making camp outside the city tonight, yes?"

Frost avoids and bats at the hand scratching her head. "Now cut that out! I'm not a puppy!" She pouts, raising a hand to re-place her glasses. "...I know I'm c-cute. I'm glad you two realize what so many others don... don't." She nods, attempting to sound confident in her words - didn't really work.

She smiles, giving a little nod. "...Yeah. I guess we are... it'll be nicer out here, anyway... Little colder, but I'm actually rather fond of the cold..." She shrugs. "This town sucks anyway. I plan on leaving as soon as the mayor or whatever forks over the reward. Then I can go and get a real hot bath." Her eyes narrow. "Everyone's willing to look past race and profession when there's enough gold on their hands." She sighs, raising her hand and speaking a few words of magic...

Sticks began to float over, along with a few rocks - each one at a time. The smallish rocks assembled themselves into a ring, and the twigs piled themselves in the middle. Frost smiles a bit, before snapping her fingers with a few more words of magic, pointing her hand at the sticks as sparks flew from her fingertips, a fire coming to life with a 'vhoosh'.

(Frost uses Mage Hand in conjunction with Prestidigitation to make a campfire.)

Angela smiled at Frost.
"Heh. You need to relax more." She watched the camp slowly piece itself together.
"Handy ability, that...what do you have to hold against humans, though? Everyone in town seemed perfectly fine."

Reactions: 1 person