Left 4 Dead - The Last Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet still, for Laura, and any others willing to gaze upon the walls, a few messages stood out above the others....

---
What is dead may eternal lie,
And in strange aeons, even Death may die.
From shadows, I refuse to cry,
For her, this is not my last goodbye.

-Blake

Keep skirting along the edges of the town, I will meet with you later. Please, don't cross down main street. I see them.

-Rey

Wowie, this place sure is....haha...WELL?

-Anonymous

beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line

At some point, the Shredder would have rose. His claws in keen condition as he looked over the messages. His eyes skimmed each one, searching.... Searching...Finally, he stepped back. Whatever he wanted, it was not there. That said, from the markers he selected a blank space and drew the following sign.

Foot_Clan_2.jpg

That done, he walked away calmly to his corner before settling in a meditation stance on his knees.

@C.T. @Whoever

For Laura and those near her, more interestingly the walls of the garage, despite the rust and dim lighting, held secrets and histories of those that came before. It was clear that something was afoot a long time ago, and that simply being exiled from Salt Lake City was but the climax of the impending storm. Others seemed to have acted much earlier, and in their haste, left messages for Laura, simple tales and stories of people, just like them, trying to survive in a hostile, dying country cut away from the rest of the world. Most it, sadly, was but gibberish, the mere scribbling of mad men and women driven to insanity due to grief and a lack of hope.

sT8wG9Q.jpg

None of these scrawled messages were literary masterpieces like the schools made kids read over and over, year after year. Yet, despite all the analysis and discussion of symbolism, despite all the English teachers dissecting the lines within and even between the line...these crude writings resonated more within her than all that combined. These scribbles on the wall of a deserted ghost-town's saferoom lacked proofreading and editing and mass production, possessed none of the accolades works by King, Bradbury and such received...but they were very human regardless. The removed and calm typing of authors behind closed doors couldn't really hold a candle to the sheer reality of all these right here. Her bright green eyes roved over it in entirety, from the cries for help and warnings to the haphazard scratches left behind by individuals who's minds crumbled as their world deteriorated around them. Madness born from grief or anguish. These are just messages left behind, the authors of which had long since left...or perhaps even passed on already. Still, she could sympathize, her attempt at keeping an impassive face broken.

How would it feel to watch someon--some thing that had once been a loved one, taking out another one? Not many could handle that well...or even at all. What's more, the sheer momentary nature of all these words stung.​
Yet still, for Laura, and any others willing to gaze upon the walls, a few messages stood out above the others....

---

-Blake

Keep skirting along the edges of the town, I will meet with you later. Please, don't cross down main street. I see them.

-Rey

-Anonymous

beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line

Even these, the poetic shorts, the advice, the commentary and more warnings. Despite how personal some of them were written at the time, life marches on. Moreso in these chaotic times. The sheer fleetingness of all that we are, all that we do. To think that these words could be all that's left behind by some of the men and women who passed through here. Secluded as they were, the writings would eventually be covered over by time and lost to all save those who were there and cared to remember. How many stories like that would share a similar fate?

Laura frowned. "This one won't. Not if I have anything to say about it. I won't forget. Not one word of any of this." She murmured aloud, turning and shooting a glance at what Shredder had drawn.​

At some point, the Shredder would have rose. His claws in keen condition as he looked over the messages. His eyes skimmed each one, searching.... Searching...Finally, he stepped back. Whatever he wanted, it was not there. That said, from the markers he selected a blank space and drew the following sign.

Foot_Clan_2.jpg

That done, he walked away calmly to his corner before settling in a meditation stance on his knees.

@C.T. @Whoever

She gave the wall a thoughtful look before picking up the red marker and moving to pick a more open section of the wall to scribble on.

Hope isn't a thing that lives and dies. It's not something we make on our own or keep to ourselves. It's something that is handed to us by those before us, around us. And we take it and we shape it and add to it and pass it on. In ways we can never imagine and to people we may never know. So pass it on. Hope for a better tomorrow. Take solace in surviving, if you're reading this. I hope someone does. - L.

That done, she capped the marker back up, set it back where it belonged and stepped away, eyeing the supplies. Particularly that shotgun.

@Krieg @Kaykay @OrlandoBloomers @Saint Guillotine @Indolent @Jeremi @Verite @Ivazel @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Josh M @Kakarot!

To say Ruby had been a bit of a mess after that ordeal was a understatement. Both literally, covered in dirt and grime with a gaping tear over her stomach after her brief and poorly executed MMA match with that zombie, and mentally, having clung to Yang like she was the only thing keeping Ruby attached to the earth, like Ruby was afraid she'd fly away if she let go. But a few hours on the back of a motorcycle unable to see any scenery except her sister's hair she was desperately trying not to drool or cry on in her exhausted mess of a state really was enough time for anyone to at least start to calm down.

That had been awful. She'd almost died, the guy they'd saved had kicked her out of a moving car, but only after their rescue had been slow enough that parts of his face were just awful gouges and bite marks, which was an image that was at least helpful at this very moment to keep Ruby from falling asleep on the back of a motorcycle but was definitely gonna be revisited by her brain whenever she finally did pass out. But... while it was awesome, she'd be lying if she said if it also hadn't been a teensy itty bit... exciting. Ruby had had her fun with games like Resident Evil or Dead island over the years, but to actually be in this sort of mess, drive a car into a bunch of monsters that used to be people, save two men from being eaten, and do her best falcon kick impression on some half dead guy just in time for a motorcycle wheel to decapitate him had been... ok well that last part had been pretty disgusting and disturbing and it was darkly fascinating to know that a human head popped like a dropped watermelon, but it she had to admit, it had also been kinda... awesome. She'd been a bonafide, actual, real life hero for a moment. Not a virtual hero rescuing fake people fighting fake villains. She'd actually rescued someone. Which was awesome. Even if she'd almost died.

What none of that changed though was how freaking exhausted she was when they finally pulled up to the safe house. She'd never been to Wells, never one who had been a fan of travelling like her sister or dad had been, so she didn't quite have the same reaction as her sister other than to wonder mildly how bad things had really gotten outside the city despite assurances that the military was holding a line out east if a place like this was already abandoned, but that line of thought disappeared in an instant when she learned they were stopping to be replaced with an internal, half dead and eternally grateful 'yaaay'.

Right up until she got hit with huggagedon

She mewled in mild rebellion as her arms twitched and legs flopped a bit in a really sad effort to get free as she fulfilled her sacred duty as the younger sibling on any roadtrip and said

"Yaaaang let go! I gotta pee ;~;"

Even with Ruby's inherent tininess, there was only so long you could keep up a hug with someone who wanted no part of it short of throwing them to the floor and engaging in a full on wrestling match anyway, so Yang reluctantly disentangled and backed off after a moment with a ludic, if sheepish, laugh that was mired only slightly by her present teary state. "Toldja you should've held off on the soda til we found a bathroom!~ But okay, okay, I can take a hint. I'll keep my hands off the goods. Sorry, it's just..."

She trailed off for a moment, wiping at her eyes using one sleeve and sniffling once or twice as she tried not to be too embarrassing while she looked at Ruby with an expression not too far away from the one a parent might have at their kid's graduation ceremony, barring a few situational differences. It was easier to see now that they were indoors and out of harm's way, but Yang was tired, bruised, battered and grimy; her pale complexion sporting a couple of dark circles underneath the eyes and rounded cheeks already bearing their share of cuts, welts and marks after just a few days on the road. Even her hair, aka the crown jewel, was left looking frazzled and unkempt, the constant sun and lack of working showers along the I-80 having taken their toll on the normally-radiant blonde locks.

And for all that... it didn't change a thing. Past the cuts, and the bruises, and the dirt and sweat and exhaustion, there lay the same beaming face and soft purple eyes people who knew Yang came to expect, as vibrant and resilient as ever. The end of the world could kick her around all it wanted. It was never gonna change who she was.

570MJHT.png

"I'm just so proud to be your sister."
Well, he still needed to talk to her, even if it could be brief. After all, he saw what happened and naturally, he was concerned. Even if it weren't his place since she was not a student of his anymore. "'Ey Fireball girl, you alright? The both of ya?" He craned his head, eyes glancing in between the siblings, concern indubitably expressed in his features. "I saw what happened-- probably best not to linger on it. I just wanted ta say ya can get me if ya need me fer anythin', alright?" He stated aloud.

Still though, the Swede looked to be in a pretty gnarly condition; even as much as an asshole he was, nobody should get mangled like that. If anything, that was what assuaged Logan's primal urge to manhandle the bastard for what he'd done.

And speaking softly now: "Stay away from the guy with the claws-- he's Yakuza. Somebody ya don't wanna tangle with. I know yer smart girls, yer already aware the fella's dangerous but still. Push comes to shove, come find me. I've got history with em."

Maybe, in hindsight, he should have told Laura the same.

@C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Douche @Saint Guillotine

Logan's arrival snapped her from her sudden onset of stress-triggered fluffiness; maybe for the best, in retrospect. She broke her gaze from Ruby, draping an arm over her shoulder lightly in lieu of any sort of hug as she flicked him a friendly wave with her other hand, happy to see he was okay. Not that she expected anything else. "I think we're okay, master L. Thanks. Don't worry, we can handle ourselves, but if we do need anything I know who to call!" Some of her usual optimistic cheer crept back into her tone, though it was replaced by a blink and cock of the head at the piece of info he divulged.

"Yikes, no kidding. I kinda figured he was just some nutjob. Nooooooooot really sure which is worse."

She squinted, weighing the pros and cons of both and how they related to zombies in her head for a few seconds.

"... Anyways, I'll keep an eye on him. Appreciate the heads up."
the_garage_by_alexjjessup_d619fh8.jpg

Safety

Albeit cramped and small, the aura of safety was a breath of fresh air for the misfit exiles of Salt Lake City. Despite some of them only meeting in the desolate wasteland of what was once the prodigious deserts of Southwest America mere hours ago, a feeling of mutual companionship was easy to foster. After all, dark times often called for unlikely companionships, for what lies in the grand unknown that the military fended off for months was now unleashed in full force. What semblance of a vain attempt to restore a sense of normality in life was all but crushed when the military fled, and now, this band of children, criminals, and all those in between are but united as one.

They were the ones left for dead, and yet so ironically, they left the dead and dying for another chance of life.

For Armor King and Akagi, the supplies within the garage looked to be trampled with and scavenged, the saferoom's bundle of valuables stored on the surface of what was once a craftsmen table. However, there were a few valuables to the rest of the group awaiting to be scavenged from. First of which, was the remnants of several different ammunition types, particularly 12 Gauge, .308s, 9mm, .45 AP, and even a few revolver types such as .357 and .44. In terms of actual weapons, there was a military "Nova" shotgun, a shoddy hunting rifle, and a classic Uzi submachine gun. Finally, above all else, there was the standard four medkits, a common trait throughout most saferooms, although some exceeded that standard.

For Laura and those near her, more interestingly the walls of the garage, despite the rust and dim lighting, held secrets and histories of those that came before. It was clear that something was afoot a long time ago, and that simply being exiled from Salt Lake City was but the climax of the impending storm. Others seemed to have acted much earlier, and in their haste, left messages for Laura, simple tales and stories of people, just like them, trying to survive in a hostile, dying country cut away from the rest of the world. Most it, sadly, was but gibberish, the mere scribbling of mad men and women driven to insanity due to grief and a lack of hope.

---

-Blake

-Rey

-Anonymous

beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line

---

An eventful read to say the least, but as they say, knowledge is power. Before Laura was a small marker, red in color, presumably from the "beware" individual. If she so choose, she could inscribe herself a marking upon these rustic walls. In a way, there was something eerie about it, yet alluring. Grimly, if she were to fade from this world, this would be a reminder of her existence- a mark that she was the one that survived for so long.

As the survivors contemplated their findings, whether it be knowledge or earthly possessions, a loud thumping could be heard emitting from confines of the closed bathroom. From within, the Swede, who had barricaded himself in such a room, had perform ungodly surgery to his mutilated face. Even in the relative solace of the saferoom, the occasional yelp, cry, and scream of the aging man echoed sonorously and frighteningly, invoking a sense of dread and pity. Slowly, but surely however, the door to the bathroom, steel in nature, creaked slowly to be opened.

A heavy breath escaped from within, and with one sudden joust of bravery, a new man walked out of the bathroom, forged underneath the sheer cruelty of this apocalypse.

7a3d91701e45ec955c4fb8962449477b.png

Revolver in hand, having smuggled the firearm desperately in the confines of his medical bag, the middle-aged man looked entirely different mere hours ago. His entire form, from face to hands, were covered in a thin, sickly layer of bandages. He walked slowly yet surely, a limp in his legs, looking not only battered but physically demolished. What would normally take months of recovery would have to be reduced to mere hours, the Swede saying nothing underneath his veil of bandages, his duster jacket ripped, tattered, and covered in mud.

With small slits for the eyes, the Swede blankly looked ahead at those within, particularly Yang. He said nothing, or perhaps more accurately, he couldn't bring himself to say anything. Whether it was out of shame for his actions or that he was physically in too much pain to move his muscles was a question that, given Gundersen's state, was one left better unanswered.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @OrlandoBloomers @Kaykay @Jeremi @Kakarot! @Ivazel @Verite @Josh M @C.T. @Saint Guillotine @Indolent

---

There he was.

When the Swede stepped out into the main room, Yang's features fell so sharply and begrudgingly it bordered on whiplash. Just seeing him again started building up the tension in her shoulders, and if she felt any sympathy for the older man's condition it was so blanketed by the sheer rage over what he almost did to Ruby that it was insignificant. Bandages or no bandages, this creep almost ruined her entire life. She wasn't gonna let that go.

"Ruby, go pee."

She nodded in the direction of the now-unoccupied restroom before moving away, attention too focused on Gundersen to pay much heed to the wall writings as she stomped past them. Had she so much as glimpsed one message in particular, it might've changed everything, filled her with the kind of hope and spirit normally reserved for dreams, even if it was a longshot. As it was, though, she strode up to the Swede without fear of the gun he held, stopping just a few feet away and burning a pair of holes in his head with the sheer intensity of the glare she leveled him with, fists clenched at her side. It took everything she had not to lunge for him right then and there, but she wanted answers first.

"Why."

That was all she said for a moment, eyes narrowing in thinly disguised fury.

"Do you even know how much she risked for you? Do you not get that? She's the only reason you still have a face to put bandages on. She's the only reason you're still alive! SHE RISKED EVERYTHING FOR YOU AND SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOUR GODDAMN NAME, AND YOU ALMOST KILLED HER!"

It didn't take long for her emotions to come completely unbridled and cascade into full-on shouting, tears of sheer, hot anger welling up at the corners of her eyes as she took a step forward and thrust a quivering finger at him.

"SO TELL ME WHY, AND THEN TELL ME WHY I SHOULDN'T DRAG YOU OUT ONTO THE STREETS AND LEAVE YOU FOR THOSE THINGS TO SNACK ON! WHO KNOWS, MAYBE THEY'RE HUNGRY ENOUGH TO EAT TRASH?"

She was making more noise and causing a much bigger stir than she honestly even meant to when she came over here, but anyone who knew Yang knew her temper was like an avalanche when it was set off. Abrupt to trigger... and impossible to stop.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Krieg

Safety

Albeit cramped and small, the aura of safety was a breath of fresh air for the misfit exiles of Salt Lake City. Despite some of them only meeting in the desolate wasteland of what was once the prodigious deserts of Southwest America mere hours ago, a feeling of mutual companionship was easy to foster. After all, dark times often called for unlikely companionships, for what lies in the grand unknown that the military fended off for months was now unleashed in full force. What semblance of a vain attempt to restore a sense of normality in life was all but crushed when the military fled, and now, this band of children, criminals, and all those in between are but united as one.

They were the ones left for dead, and yet so ironically, they left the dead and dying for another chance of life.

For Armor King and Akagi, the supplies within the garage looked to be trampled with and scavenged, the saferoom's bundle of valuables stored on the surface of what was once a craftsmen table. However, there were a few valuables to the rest of the group awaiting to be scavenged from. First of which, was the remnants of several different ammunition types, particularly 12 Gauge, .308s, 9mm, .45 AP, and even a few revolver types such as .357 and .44. In terms of actual weapons, there was a military "Nova" shotgun, a shoddy hunting rifle, and a classic Uzi submachine gun. Finally, above all else, there was the standard four medkits, a common trait throughout most saferooms, although some exceeded that standard.

---

-Blake

-Rey

-Anonymous

beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line

---

An eventful read to say the least, but as they say, knowledge is power. Before Laura was a small marker, red in color, presumably from the "beware" individual. If she so choose, she could inscribe herself a marking upon these rustic walls. In a way, there was something eerie about it, yet alluring. Grimly, if she were to fade from this world, this would be a reminder of her existence- a mark that she was the one that survived for so long.

As the survivors contemplated their findings, whether it be knowledge or earthly possessions, a loud thumping could be heard emitting from confines of the closed bathroom. From within, the Swede, who had barricaded himself in such a room, had perform ungodly surgery to his mutilated face. Even in the relative solace of the saferoom, the occasional yelp, cry, and scream of the aging man echoed sonorously and frighteningly, invoking a sense of dread and pity. Slowly, but surely however, the door to the bathroom, steel in nature, creaked slowly to be opened.

A heavy breath escaped from within, and with one sudden joust of bravery, a new man walked out of the bathroom, forged underneath the sheer cruelty of this apocalypse.

Revolver in hand, having smuggled the firearm desperately in the confines of his medical bag, the middle-aged man looked entirely different mere hours ago. His entire form, from face to hands, were covered in a thin, sickly layer of bandages. He walked slowly yet surely, a limp in his legs, looking not only battered but physically demolished. What would normally take months of recovery would have to be reduced to mere hours, the Swede saying nothing underneath his veil of bandages, his duster jacket ripped, tattered, and covered in mud.

With small slits for the eyes, the Swede blankly looked ahead at those within, particularly Yang. He said nothing, or perhaps more accurately, he couldn't bring himself to say anything. Whether it was out of shame for his actions or that he was physically in too much pain to move his muscles was a question that, given Gundersen's state, was one left better unanswered.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @OrlandoBloomers @Kaykay @Jeremi @Kakarot! @Ivazel @Verite @Josh M @C.T. @Saint Guillotine @Indolent

---

Ammunition, praise be. AK loaded up on ammo in silent contemplation before grabbing one of the medkits as well. In his youth as a training luchadore there had been many a time where he had needed to either patch up himself or his brother. The brother stolen from him in a senseless act of violence.

He could feel himself crushing the medkit in his grip as his mind drifted back to the morgue when he had to identify the body. Perhaps if he had chosen to go out with his brother instead at staying at the hotel he would have still been...!

No, it was pointless to dwell on, now more than ever. His brothers legacy was also Armor King's legacy. That legacy would be one paved with hope for a better future, a hope for humanity. The jaguar mask would be the symbol that rose above all the rest, that he would make sure of.

Even with Ruby's inherent tininess, there was only so long you could keep up a hug with someone who wanted no part of it short of throwing them to the floor and engaging in a full on wrestling match anyway, so Yang reluctantly disentangled and backed off after a moment with a ludic, if sheepish, laugh that was mired only slightly by her present teary state. "Toldja you should've held off on the soda til we found a bathroom!~ But okay, okay, I can take a hint. I'll keep my hands off the goods. Sorry, it's just..."

She trailed off for a moment, wiping at her eyes using one sleeve and sniffling once or twice as she tried not to be too embarrassing while she looked at Ruby with an expression not too far away from the one a parent might have at their kid's graduation ceremony, barring a few situational differences. It was easier to see now that they were indoors and out of harm's way, but Yang was tired, bruised, battered and grimy; her pale complexion sporting a couple of dark circles underneath the eyes and rounded cheeks already bearing their share of cuts, welts and marks after just a few days on the road. Even her hair, aka the crown jewel, was left looking frazzled and unkempt, the constant sun and lack of working showers along the I-80 having taken their toll on the normally-radiant blonde locks.

And for all that... it didn't change a thing. Past the cuts, and the bruises, and the dirt and sweat and exhaustion, there lay the same beaming face and soft purple eyes people who knew Yang came to expect, as vibrant and resilient as ever. The end of the world could kick her around all it wanted. It was never gonna change who she was.

570MJHT.png

Logan's arrival snapped her from her sudden onset of stress-triggered fluffiness; maybe for the best, in retrospect. She broke her gaze from Ruby, draping an arm over her shoulder lightly in lieu of any sort of hug as she flicked him a friendly wave with her other hand, happy to see he was okay. Not that she expected anything else. "I think we're okay, master L. Thanks. Don't worry, we can handle ourselves, but if we do need anything I know who to call!" Some of her usual optimistic cheer crept back into her tone, though it was replaced by a blink and cock of the head at the piece of info he divulged.

"Yikes, no kidding. I kinda figured he was just some nutjob. Nooooooooot really sure which is worse."

She squinted, weighing the pros and cons of both and how they related to zombies in her head for a few seconds.

"... Anyways, I'll keep an eye on him. Appreciate the heads up."

There he was.

When the Swede stepped out into the main room, Yang's features fell so sharply and begrudgingly it bordered on whiplash. Just seeing him again started building up the tension in her shoulders, and if she felt any sympathy for the older man's condition it was so blanketed by the sheer rage over what he almost did to Ruby that it was insignificant. Bandages or no bandages, this creep almost ruined her entire life. She wasn't gonna let that go.

"Ruby, go pee."

She nodded in the direction of the now-unoccupied restroom before moving away, attention too focused on Gundersen to pay much heed to the wall writings as she stomped past them. Had she so much as glimpsed one message in particular, it might've changed everything, filled her with the kind of hope and spirit normally reserved for dreams, even if it was a longshot. As it was, though, she strode up to the Swede without fear of the gun he held, stopping just a few feet away and burning a pair of holes in his head with the sheer intensity of the glare she leveled him with, fists clenched at her side. It took everything she had not to lunge for him right then and there, but she wanted answers first.

"Why."

"Do you even know how much she risked for you? Do you not get that? She's the only reason you still have a face to put bandages on. She's the only reason you're still alive! SHE RISKED EVERYTHING FOR YOU AND SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOUR GODDAMN NAME, AND YOU ALMOST KILLED HER!"

It didn't take long for her emotions to come completely unbridled and cascade into full-on shouting, tears of sheer, hot anger welling up at the corners of her eyes as she took a step forward and thrust a quivering finger at him.

"SO TELL ME WHY, AND THEN TELL ME WHY I SHOULDN'T DRAG YOU OUT ONTO THE STREETS AND LEAVE YOU FOR THOSE THINGS TO SNACK ON! WHO KNOWS, MAYBE THEY'RE HUNGRY ENOUGH TO EAT TRASH?"

She was making more noise and causing a much bigger stir than she honestly even meant to when she came over here, but anyone who knew Yang knew her temper was like an avalanche when it was set off. Abrupt to trigger... and impossible to stop.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Krieg

The sudden shouting took Armor King out of his mind and back to reality. The blond girl was shouting out a storm. AK was concerned that she'd rip his jugular off with her bare teeth.

He had seen their rescue of the Swede, but not the aftermath, but had he done to the shorter sister to elicit such ire and disdain? Actually Armor King had a few good guesses as far as the Swede was concerned.

"Because you're better than him." He heard the words come out of his mouth before he even realized he was saying them. Why had he opened his mouth? Was this for the legacy of his own sibling? Well he had to continue now, and perhaps get a bit closer.

"Yes, the man is trash, but if you do to him what he did to your sister, your soul will become as hollow and rotten as his is." He was close now, close enough to look down at the bandaged man. His mask hid the look of utter disdain it was showing for him. "A pitiful wretch will drown itself when given a chance. You do not need to hasten his death...

There's nothing however stopping you from punching him really hard." Hope you see could work in mysterious ways. Or that was Armor King's thoughts on the matter anyways.

570MJHT.png

Ruby was bouncing back and forth on her feet when she was finally set down, but it was a whole lot easier to see Yang's mood when she was finally put down. Ruby might have been a little feistier and stubborn than your average computer jockey, but she was still for all intents and purposes a squishy nerd shoved into a mess that she had no business surviving in. Yang was an entirely different story, and even disregarding the fact that they were sister's, even before the world had gone to poop Ruby had looked to Yang's usual confidence and determination as one of the only constants in her life. Sure she wanted to prove to Yang that she could handle herself too, and she didn't want to make her poor sister feel like she was dragging around dead weight, but that didn't mean she was used to seeing Yang like this ;~;. Her own lips were quivering briefly as she quickly wrapped Yang up in a return hug with a quiet "Same to you sis" with a sisterly nuzzle before she broke it off with a cough.

"...Soooooo, how long is he gonna-"

"Ruby, go pee."
"...In... there..."

Ruby's mood shifted as well, though in the opposite parallel that Yang's did as her smile fell to a shocked stare as the Swede revealed his new look to them. not just his face but... all of him. He looked miserable, ruined even.

And all this because Ruby had been in such a rush she'd ignored the fact that there were cars already right there ready to go to mess with hotwiring one, and that she'd been too slow in that to do anything to stop... this. Sure he was alive but...

She shifted uncomfortably and quietly excused herself, unable to stop herself from muttering a quiet sorry as she moved pass for the bathroom and oh man it was such a bloody mess in here T_T

*A few moments later*

"Don't look at the blood. Don't look at the blood. Don't-"
".... oh no. Yang, please don't-"
"Oh my gosh YANG DON'T aaaaaah c'mon pee faster pee faster pee faster pee faster-"
Ammunition, praise be. AK loaded up on ammo in silent contemplation before grabbing one of the medkits as well. In his youth as a training luchadore there had been many a time where he had needed to either patch up himself or his brother. The brother stolen from him in a senseless act of violence.

He could feel himself crushing the medkit in his grip as his mind drifted back to the morgue when he had to identify the body. Perhaps if he had chosen to go out with his brother instead at staying at the hotel he would have still been...!

No, it was pointless to dwell on, now more than ever. His brothers legacy was also Armor King's legacy. That legacy would be one paved with hope for a better future, a hope for humanity. The jaguar mask would be the symbol that rose above all the rest, that he would make sure of.

The sudden shouting took Armor King out of his mind and back to reality. The blond girl was shouting out a storm. AK was concerned that she'd rip his jugular off with her bare teeth.

He had seen their rescue of the Swede, but not the aftermath, but had he done to the shorter sister to elicit such ire and disdain? Actually Armor King had a few good guesses as far as the Swede was concerned.

"Because you're better than him." He heard the words come out of his mouth before he even realized he was saying them. Why had he opened his mouth? Was this for the legacy of his own sibling? Well he had to continue now, and perhaps get a bit closer.

"Yes, the man is trash, but if you do to him what he did to your sister, your soul will become as hollow and rotten as his is." He was close now, close enough to look down at the bandaged man. His mask hid the look of utter disdain it was showing for him. "A pitiful wretch will drown itself when given a chance. You do not need to hasten his death...

There's nothing however stopping you from punching him really hard." Hope you see could work in mysterious ways. Or that was Armor King's thoughts on the matter anyways.

*A few moments after that*

The bathroom doors burst open as Ruby stumbled out "EVERYONE PLEASE CHILL A BIT!"

She caught her breath for a few seconds after belting that out, glancing around to make sure she had everyone's attention and almost immediately shrinking back into herself if she did, scuffing the ground with her sneakers with a cough as she continued. "I just... uh... we shouldn't get all... threateny and stuff when we've all got zombies to deal with, and I'm sure mr... guy, didn't mean to put me in danger on purpose and maybe just panicked a bit so could we just... all... shake hands? No punching or shooting or anything else? Please?"

@Jeremi @Indolent @Krieg @OrlandoBloomers

Reactions: Krieg

The bathroom doors burst open as Ruby stumbled out "EVERYONE PLEASE CHILL A BIT!"

She caught her breath for a few seconds after belting that out, glancing around to make sure she had everyone's attention and almost immediately shrinking back into herself if she did, scuffing the ground with her sneakers with a cough as she continued. "I just... uh... we shouldn't get all... threateny and stuff when we've all got zombies to deal with, and I'm sure mr... guy, didn't mean to put me in danger on purpose and maybe just panicked a bit so could we just... all... shake hands? No punching or shooting or anything else? Please?"

@Jeremi @Indolent @Krieg @OrlandoBloomers

MyHe3s3.png

"Did you not wash your hands?!"

She questioned loudly as the intrepid heroine reappeared, backing away a little bit with mouth agape because gross. Yang's knee-jerk response to that, however, was little more than a coverup for her more subdued reaction to the outburst itself, which amounted to her jaw tightening while she dropped her gaze to the floor and looked away dejectedly. Her temper might've gotten the best of her from time to time, but she wasn't dumb; She knew a patented "calm down, Yang!" platitude when she heard one, and as much as she appreciated her sister's effort to stay diplomatic by not naming any names... it was still pretty obvious what she was saying was directed at her, and her alone. She was basically telling her to back off. From the guy who made Ruby cry. Who almost killed her. Did she really think this was gonna be that easy for her to swallow? On some level, she understood. Her peacemaking ways were just one of the many things she loved and admired about her little sis, but still... she'd be lying if she said it didn't sting a little that the person she was trying to defend was also the person yanking on her leash, telling her to heel.

And she'd be lying if she said it didn't sting a lot that that person was Ruby.

"But... Ruby, you're my... it's just... you could've died. How can I be okay with that?"

She rubbed her head and fell silent, letting her shoulders sag as she walked away from the Swede without another word. She didn't know if he was ignoring her or if he just couldn't talk through those bandages, but either way it seemed like she'd lost her heart to continue this discussion, so it stood to reason that he was off the hook. The guy in the leopard mask was right, anyway. His level wasn't one worth stooping to. Yang sighed as she crossed over to the other side of the room, intent on curling up against the wall of scribbles and getting some rest or something. Home sweet ho--

-Blake

Xl8wwuD.png

"...What?"

Yang must've read and reread the poem at least a thousand times in the space of the next two seconds, eyes wide and unblinking as they stared transfixed at the wall. It... couldn't have been... How many Blakes were there in the western United States? It was a gender-neutral name, as she always liked to tease. It could've been some guy writing about his girlfriend, or a grandma lamenting her favorite cat or something. There was no way. Even forgetting the unfathomable coincidence it would've been for a second, it was impossible. Her Blake was... she saw them...

But the poetry. She couldn't get it out of her head, it was just so...

Familiar.

"I... I need air. I gotta go!"

She exclaimed with a seemingly-random sudden onset of urgency, turning on a dime to jog over to the workshop table and procure one of the medkits. She also snatched up the shotgun Laura was eyeballing without preamble, offering a hasty and somewhat apologetic "Yoink" as she snapped it open to check if it was loaded and brought the stock to her shoulder, peering down the sights briefly. It was obvious she was in a rush, but the why was anyone's guess; Honestly, she wasn't even sure herself. She didn't know anything for sure. What she did know is that she wanted Blake to be alive, and if she was... she had to find her. There was no telling when that message was written, but for all they knew it could've been recent-- whoever wrote it could've still been somewhere close by. They saw for themselves coming into town that there were hardly any zombies out there, and the ones that were around were dried up like raisins. She could handle a few raisins.

Sweeping as many of the 12 gauge shells as she could carry into her hoodie's pockets, she glanced up from the table in the midst of her frantic supply scrounging to address Ruby again. "Sis, I'm really sorry about this. Stick with Logan until I get back, okay?" She dropped her gaze slightly, eyes softening as she slowed down long enough to actually register that she was splitting from Ruby, however briefly. The idea didn't sit well with her at all, but... what else could she do? As quiet as things seemed, it was safer in here than it was out there; Especially with Logan around to keep an eye on her. She knew she could trust him. She quickly made eye contact again as if to assuage any fears, putting her hand up and offering as reassuring a smile as she could muster (which, despite the circumstances, was pretty reassuring). "I won't be far! If you need me, just scream and I'll come running. I swear. I think this gives me a real shot at staying safe. Ehhhh? Am I right?"

She flashed a grin and winked, pumping the shotgun once for maximum pun emphasis, cocking an ear to listen for the laughs that were never coming.

"Darn. Guess some people just can't appreciate a good shotpun. Anyway, I'll be back before you know it. Stay here and keep your head down and you won't even know I'm gone, 'kay? Love you!"

And with that, she made for the safe room door like a bat out of hell.

Smooth.

@Krieg @Kaykay @C.T. @Saint Guillotine @Indolent @Jeremi @Verite @Ivazel @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Josh M @Kakarot!

• Love
  • Useful
Reactions: Atomyk and C.T.
"But... Ruby, you're my... it's just... you could've died. How can I be okay with that?"

She rubbed her head and fell silent, letting her shoulders sag as she walked away from the Swede without another word. She didn't know if he was ignoring her or if he just couldn't talk through those bandages, but either way it seemed like she'd lost her heart to continue this discussion, so it stood to reason that he was off the hook. The guy in the leopard mask was right, anyway. His level wasn't one worth stooping to. Yang sighed as she crossed over to the other side of the room, intent on curling up against the wall of scribbles and getting some rest or something. Home sweet ho--​
Well... she wasn't ok with it. Not really. There wasn't anyone Ruby knew who would be ok with getting punted out of a car and into zombies.

But the fact that she felt just as responsible for what happened to him and that they were all sort of in this mess together now meant that she just couldn't sit back and let rifts form between the group this early. Even if seeing Yang like that was a kick to the proverbial stomach-
"...What?"

Yang must've read and reread the poem at least a thousand times in the space of the next two seconds, eyes wide and unblinking as they stared transfixed at the wall. It... couldn't have been... How many Blakes were there in the western United States? It was a gender-neutral name, as she always liked to tease. It could've been some guy writing about his girlfriend, or a grandma lamenting her favorite cat or something. There was no way. Even forgetting the unfathomable coincidence it would've been for a second, it was impossible. Her Blake was... she saw them...

Familiar.

She exclaimed with a seemingly-random sudden onset of urgency, turning on a dime to jog over to the workshop table and procure one of the medkits. She also snatched up the shotgun Laura was eyeballing without preamble, offering a hasty and somewhat apologetic "Yoink" as she snapped it open to check if it was loaded and brought the stock to her shoulder, peering down the sights briefly. It was obvious she was in a rush, but the why was anyone's guess; Honestly, she wasn't even sure herself. She didn't know anything for sure. What she did know is that she wanted Blake to be alive, and if she was... she had to find her. There was no telling when that message was written, but for all they knew it could've been recent-- whoever wrote it could've still been somewhere close by. They saw for themselves coming into town that there were hardly any zombies out there, and the ones that were around were dried up like raisins. She could handle a few raisins.

Sweeping as many of the 12 gauge shells as she could carry into her hoodie's pockets, she glanced up from the table in the midst of her frantic supply scrounging to address Ruby again. "Sis, I'm really sorry about this. Stick with Logan until I get back, okay?" She dropped her gaze slightly, eyes softening as she slowed down long enough to actually register that she was splitting from Ruby, however briefly. The idea didn't sit well with her at all, but... what else could she do? As quiet as things seemed, it was safer in here than it was out there; Especially with Logan around to keep an eye on her. She knew she could trust him. She quickly made eye contact again as if to assuage any fears, putting her hand up and offering as reassuring a smile as she could muster (which, despite the circumstances, was pretty reassuring). "I won't be far! If you need me, just scream and I'll come running. I swear. I think this gives me a real shot at staying safe. Ehhhh? Am I right?"

She flashed a grin and winked, pumping the shotgun once for maximum pun emphasis, cocking an ear to listen for the laughs that were never coming.

"Darn. Guess some people just can't appreciate a good shotpun. Anyway, I'll be back before you know it. Stay here and keep your head down and you won't even know I'm gone, 'kay? Love you!"
Wait what

"... No! YANG GET BACK HERE!" Ruby belted as she sprinted right after Yang with a clear intent to tackle and WAIT OH NO NO NO SHE HAD A LOADED GUN! she skidded to a halt just short of that and instead kicked Yang's butt.

Not like beat her up in a fight, like, literally pulled her foot back and booted her once (With her admittedly not at all there leg muscle:T)

"That is literally the worst idea! I say this as a zombie movie fan, a survivor of SnowPrincess' Tomb of Horrors run with a bard, AND AS YOUR SISTER!" She declared as she latched onto Yang's shoulders with a vague pout, clearly not having the same issue of expressing herself to Yang that she did strangers. "What... ever it is you just... whatever'd, there is zero reason to go by yourself you bum. Not in a zombie apocalypse. literally a zombie apocalypse Yang. No. Nope. No."

She exclaimed with a seemingly-random sudden onset of urgency, turning on a dime to jog over to the workshop table and procure one of the medkits. She also snatched up the shotgun Laura was eyeballing without preamble, offering a hasty and somewhat apologetic "Yoink" as she snapped it open to check if it was loaded and brought the stock to her shoulder, peering down the sights briefly.​
".........Oh." Laura uttered rather lamely as the shotgun and many of the shells were swept up in her own moment of hesitation. She did not protest however, simply raising an eyebrow at Yang's frantic, almost distressed actions. And then the blonde was out the door in a flash. Turning away from the door, she glanced back over at the poetic scribble Yang had focused her eyes on before departing in this rush, followed pretty swiftly by her younger sister. Laura's eyes narrowed before letting out a thoughtful, quiet: "Hmm."

Calmly and methodically she took what remained of the 12 gauge shells and dropped them into one of her leather jacket's interior pockets, followed by quickly picking up the cheap hunting rifle. Couldn't hold a candle to the Benelli-made Nova field shotgun or even some of the hunting rifles she had used in her youth back home. Still, it was another weapon. She took the appropriate ammo for the rifle and checked how many rounds were left in her Sig Sauer before she too made her way for the door. "I'll be back. And no, not like the Terminator." She grinned, even if nobody else did.​

"What... ever it is you just... whatever'd, there is zero reason to go by yourself you bum. Not in a zombie apocalypse. literally a zombie apocalypse Yang. No. Nope. No."
"I agree. If that counts for anything, coming from a stranger."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @OrlandoBloomers

• Thank You
Reactions: Schnee Corp Lawyer
Wait what

"... No! YANG GET BACK HERE!" Ruby belted as she sprinted right after Yang with a clear intent to tackle and WAIT OH NO NO NO SHE HAD A LOADED GUN! she skidded to a halt just short of that and instead kicked Yang's butt.

Not like beat her up in a fight, like, literally pulled her foot back and booted her once (With her admittedly not at all there leg muscle:T)

"That is literally the worst idea! I say this as a zombie movie fan, a survivor of SnowPrincess' Tomb of Horrors run with a bard, AND AS YOUR SISTER!" She declared as she latched onto Yang's shoulders with a vague pout, clearly not having the same issue of expressing herself to Yang that she did strangers. "What... ever it is you just... whatever'd, there is zero reason to go by yourself you bum. Not in a zombie apocalypse. literally a zombie apocalypse Yang. No. Nope. No."
".........Oh." Laura uttered rather lamely as the shotgun and many of the shells were swept up in her own moment of hesitation. She did not protest however, simply raising an eyebrow at Yang's frantic, almost distressed actions. And then the blonde was out the door in a flash. Turning away from the door, she glanced back over at the poetic scribble Yang had focused her eyes on before departing in this rush, followed pretty swiftly by her younger sister. Laura's eyes narrowed before letting out a thoughtful, quiet: "Hmm."

Calmly and methodically she took what remained of the 12 gauge shells and dropped them into one of her leather jacket's interior pockets, followed by quickly picking up the cheap hunting rifle. Couldn't hold a candle to the Benelli-made Nova field shotgun or even some of the hunting rifles she had used in her youth back home. Still, it was another weapon. She took the appropriate ammo for the rifle and checked how many rounds were left in her Sig Sauer before she too made her way for the door. "I'll be back. And no, not like the Terminator." She grinned, even if nobody else did.​

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @OrlandoBloomers

"Wha-"

CBylO39.gif

Once Yang identified her assailant as her own fiendish sister and the ensuing scuffle was over, she grabbed Ruby's shoulders in turn so it became a sort of two-person huddle and sent an equally intense stare back her way, showing she was taking her concerns completely seriously. "Ruby... I'm not just any old bard. I'm the bard. Bards are the ones with... uh... throwing stars, right?"

Well, mostly seriously.

"Can you please just trust me when I say I have a good reason for this? I've gotta go! This could be life or death!"

She leaned in further and affixed Ruby with her big purple eyes, expression somewhere between pleading and impatient. There was no telling how long that message had been there, which meant every second counted.

"...Iiiiiiiiiii say "could be" because... Well... I can't be sure if this is legit or not. It should be impossible. It's just that I saw something that feels so real, and if it is real it's really really real and I can't ignore it I just can't, so even if I am just going crazy or grasping at straws it's still something I gotta check out because it doesn't matter if it's a 2% chance of being something when that 2% is still a chance a-and it's all I have so PLEASE, I JUST-"

She cut herself off abruptly with a small, sharp intake of breath, becoming aware that she'd been shaking Ruby's shoulders a little hard by the end of that full-auto barrage of words and waving her right hand's wrist-- bearing the black ribbon she'd worn tied around it for months-- in her face. Waaaaay too vigorously. She shook her head and stepped back, hands briefly lingering in an outstretched position before they dropped and she cast her gaze down to the floor with an air of contriteness.

"Sorry, sis. I've got a ton of junk on my mind. Look, I... I need to know. Some longshots are worth fighting for, even if it's just me doing the fighting. So... so take those sweaty palms of yours off me and go wash 'em already, will ya?! Now! Go! I order you with my bard powers!"

She attempted to lighten the mood from where she'd unintentionally babbled it into a low point, pointing imperiously back towards the bathroom and giving Ruby a hesitant-- but hopeful-- smile.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: C.T. and Atomyk
frank-west-592.jpg

Their was a first time for everything, I supposed. Their was a first time for society as we know getting it's butt kicked by some kind of infection that turns people into monsters. So what hurt the possibility that I'd run into some guy calling himself the Red Ranger?

Okay, let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt, Frank. Maybe Red Ranger is some kind of military designation or code name or whatever. Maybe this guy's on the up in up on what's happening that's tearing the world we know and love to pieces.

Well, I knew straight off the bat that was nonsense. I've seen wars, conversed with generals, gone to places a photojournalist like me shouldn't have gone. I'd covered wars just to reaffirm to myself. So either Red Ranger was the name of some interestingly named courier service or this guy had taken one too many blows to the head. Not to mention what was up with addressing me as ''fellow citizen?' Sounds like something a superhero would say.

Maybe he thinks he's one. Isn't any of my business either way. So long as it doesn't put my ass in the firing line that is. If the Red Ranger gets too a bit too heroic for my tastes, I guess it'll be up to me to bring him back into reality. But then again, reality wasn't all that great.

"Uh...Name's Frank West, photojournalist. Not fellow civilian. Red Ranger huh? Mind if I catch a quick snapshot?"

Without waiting for a response, I held my camera up and took a snapshot of the guy. Glancing down to see how it ended up turning out, I nearly broke out into a fit of laughter. For as much could be said about whatever the hell this guy thought he was, he could make a business out of facial expressions.

"Nice.."

HNGpTff.png

@Kaykay

Safety

---

-Blake

-Rey

-Anonymous

beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line
beware the thin red line

---

---
At Frank's sudden, seemingly unrelated question, Akagi was caught by surprise, resulting in the rather awkward facial expression captured by Frank's camera. Though to be fair, it was likely a photograph of him at any time would look quite...interesting. Not just his face, but even just the way he acted was often photo-worthy.

"Uh..." was all Akagi managed to stutter out. A real superhero probably would have simply shrugged it off, but the poor otaku was not a real hero, so someone wanting a picture of him was rather strange. On one hand, it was almost flattering, but on the other it was pretty creepy. What kind of older man went around taking pictures of other men anyway? The kind you didn't want to associate with, obviously.

Fortunately, as he was scrummaging through the supplies, Akagi found something to take his mind off of it. To anyone else it may have simply been an Uzi, but to him...

"THE KANKAN MANTAN GUN?!" he exclaimed, grabbing the Uzi and looking it over happily. "It can hold up to three Engine Souls at once! Its special attack is the Kankan Kong Express! This is truly a powerful weapon!"

Obviously real weapons looked quite different from those features in Sentai works, but whatever worked to ignore the literal writing on the wall and creepy remodeling the Swede had undergone. He wasn't sure how well he'd take it if he just faced those on at face value. A little pathetic for a 29 year old man, but he was quite used to that at this point in his life anyway.

After a little bit of drooling over the weapon, he woke up with a snap. He still needed to collect other things if he planned to be alive. Despite his own assertions to the contrary, he couldn't live entirely on delusions. He looked about for food, but only found the medkits. No food or anything, huh? For now he decided to peek into one of them.

@Kakarot! @Krieg

"Wha-"

CBylO39.gif

Once Yang identified her assailant as her own fiendish sister and the ensuing scuffle was over, she grabbed Ruby's shoulders in turn so it became a sort of two-person huddle and sent an equally intense stare back her way, showing she was taking her concerns completely seriously. "Ruby... I'm not just any old bard. I'm the bard. Bards are the ones with... uh... throwing stars, right?"

Well, mostly seriously.

"Can you please just trust me when I say I have a good reason for this? I've gotta go! This could be life or death!"

She leaned in further and affixed Ruby with her big purple eyes, expression somewhere between pleading and impatient. There was no telling how long that message had been there, which meant every second counted.

"...Iiiiiiiiiii say "could be" because... Well... I can't be sure if this is legit or not. It should be impossible. It's just that I saw something that feels so real, and if it is real it's really really real and I can't ignore it I just can't, so even if I am just going crazy or grasping at straws it's still something I gotta check out because it doesn't matter if it's a 2% chance of being something when that 2% is still a chance a-and it's all I have so PLEASE, I JUST-"

She cut herself off abruptly with a small, sharp intake of breath, becoming aware that she'd been shaking Ruby's shoulders a little hard by the end of that full-auto barrage of words and waving her right hand's wrist-- bearing the black ribbon she'd worn tied around it for months-- in her face. Waaaaay too vigorously. She shook her head and stepped back, hands briefly lingering in an outstretched position before they dropped and she cast her gaze down to the floor with an air of contriteness.

"Sorry, sis. I've got a ton of junk on my mind. Look, I... I need to know. Some longshots are worth fighting for, even if it's just me doing the fighting. So... so take those sweaty palms of yours off me and go wash 'em already, will ya?! Now! Go! I order you with my bard powers!"

She attempted to lighten the mood from where she'd unintentionally babbled it into a low point, pointing imperiously back towards the bathroom and giving Ruby a hesitant-- but hopeful-- smile.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T.

She stared at her sister for a few seconds, a very grumpy stare adorning her features

Sloooooowly raised her hand.

It was the most inevitable nose flick of all time

There's nothing else to this build up.

This is just how much slow emphasis Ruby put on her act

*Flick*

Then she her face bust into full, goofy and assuring grin, frankly confused why Yang was giving her the puppy dog eyes but not really concerned.

"I still have no idea WHAT you're doing but I didn't think you were gonna go dashing out into the zombie wasteland while leaving me here with your tween karate instructor and a japanese wizard for something that wasn't important, I'm saying do not go alone! I'll get my stuff :T"

@OrlandoBloomers @C.T. @Krieg

"Wha-"

CBylO39.gif

Once Yang identified her assailant as her own fiendish sister and the ensuing scuffle was over, she grabbed Ruby's shoulders in turn so it became a sort of two-person huddle and sent an equally intense stare back her way, showing she was taking her concerns completely seriously.​
"...Impressive." She admitted with a slight nod.​

She cut herself off abruptly with a small, sharp intake of breath, becoming aware that she'd been shaking Ruby's shoulders a little hard by the end of that full-auto barrage of words and waving her right hand's wrist-- bearing the black ribbon she'd worn tied around it for months-- in her face. Waaaaay too vigorously. She shook her head and stepped back, hands briefly lingering in an outstretched position before they dropped and she cast her gaze down to the floor with an air of contriteness.​
...Okay. There is a definite connection here. The poem, the author, this Yang...a single black ribbon adorning her wrist. A friend or perhaps more than that, lost in this madness, presumed dead... save for evidence to the contrary. This mysterious Blake. Yes. She nodded, confident she was right.

"Then do it. Don't ignore it, chase it down to the ends of the Earth if you must. I know that feeling all too well. The desire burning deep inside, to find out even when you have little to go on and an even smaller chance of succeeding. You take what chances you get in this world, the odds be damned. And despite everything that has happened out there, everything that's still happening...sometimes life still throws you a bone. In ways you least expect." She smirked, thinking back. One second, she was trying to assist. The next, he shows up out of nowhere and...a lot of it was a blur, her attention utterly focused on him.​

"I still have no idea WHAT you're doing but I didn't think you were gonna go dashing out into the zombie wasteland while leaving me here with your tween karate instructor and a japanese wizard for something that wasn't important, I'm saying do not go alone! I'll get my stuff :T"
"But still, I agree. You can do it, but you do not need to do it alone. Plus, you can't order me around." She paused, trying to recall. "And um, my name's Laura. Laura Kinney...if I didn't introduce myself earlier. Lost in the moment." She added meekly, bowing her head.

@OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: OrlandoBloomers
Silent, the Shredder would have nonchalantly settled into a position as the fight that did might have broken out, did not. Up to the point the rest of the puppet show began. Behind an expression as blank as the motorcycle helmet he had worn, he watched Yang intensely as she was staggered by a message...Watched her sister try to stop her, watch the other girl offer to go with them.

He moved, his step silent as he went for Logan, staring right into the eyes of the shorter figure before stopping three feet before him. The showdown was silent, brief and over as he spoke to him, the first time he had ever talked since being with this group as he used fluent English.

"You may wish to reign in your student. It is a fools errand, now of all times to emerge into the wasteland."

A cold smirk, a glint in his eye and silently, he gave off the impression he knew of Logan as much as the latter of him...Though that was obvious enough. Just as the claws of the Shredder was known in certain circles, so too was the story of the Gaijin that fought for love.

Tragic as the ending was, it had a certain aesthetic to it that the Shredder did enjoy.

@Indolent

She stared at her sister for a few seconds, a very grumpy stare adorning her features

Sloooooowly raised her hand.

It was the most inevitable nose flick of all time

There's nothing else to this build up.

This is just how much slow emphasis Ruby put on her act

*Flick*

Then she her face bust into full, goofy and assuring grin, frankly confused why Yang was giving her the puppy dog eyes but not really concerned.

@OrlandoBloomers @C.T. @Krieg
"...Impressive." She admitted with a slight nod.​

...Okay. There is a definite connection here. The poem, the author, this Yang...a single black ribbon adorning her wrist. A friend or perhaps more than that, lost in this madness, presumed dead... save for evidence to the contrary. This mysterious Blake. Yes. She nodded, confident she was right.

"Then do it. Don't ignore it, chase it down to the ends of the Earth if you must. I know that feeling all too well. The desire burning deep inside, to find out even when you have little to go on and an even smaller chance of succeeding. You take what chances you get in this world, the odds be damned. And despite everything that has happened out there, everything that's still happening...sometimes life still throws you a bone. In ways you least expect." She smirked, thinking back. One second, she was trying to assist. The next, he shows up out of nowhere and...a lot of it was a blur, her attention utterly focused on him.​

"But still, I agree. You can do it, but you do not need to do it alone. Plus, you can't order me around." She paused, trying to recall. "And um, my name's Laura. Laura Kinney...if I didn't introduce myself earlier. Lost in the moment." She added meekly, bowing her head.

"But... but..."

Yang tried to protest nonplussedly with a pouty expression, rubbing her poor nose in the wake of the flick and sighing in defeat as Ruby laid down the law. Yeesh. Was she ever this stubborn growing up? Okay so maybe she kinda was, but that didn't mean that was necessarily a value she wanted to instill in her dearest sister who really should've been listening to Yang in the crazy zombie cataclysm where danger lurked around every corner and one wrong move or bad call was a one-way ticket to nothing less than COMPLETE AND TOTAL CATASTROPHE. (ʘ‿ʘ)ノ✿

...Noooooooot that what she was doing was very likely to be considered the greatest tactical masterstroke the world had ever seen or anything, but it wasn't about that. Fact was, they were five months into this mess-- and back when it all kicked off there were lots of folks starting to give up hope after five days. Everyone knew the risks by now. Everyone knew what was going on. Yang knew.

And she didn't care.

Foolhardy or not, was this something worth risking her life for? There wasn't a doubt in her mind, even if it was just a wishful delusion. She just didn't wanna risk anyone else along with her for what could've been nothing but her desperately wanting to connect dots that weren't there; Especially not her baby sister.

Too bad if she said any of that out loud she'd probably just get flicked again. She guessed she was just gonna have to bite the bullet and deal. Besides, for all her worrying... she couldn't argue that having Ruby around made her feel better. There being someone to fuss over always did bring out the best in her, and having a security blanket like her around to hold onto was its own level of comfort all on its own. She'd just have to stick to her like glue to keep her safe, but hey-- It wasn't like that was the plan ever since they left the city or anything, right?

"...But seriously, wash your hands first!" She finally yelled after her sibling, deciding for herself to exact some small measure of payback by way of the dreaded embarrassing older sister syndrome. She rolled her eyes and glanced over at Laura with a knowing smirk, crossing her arms. "They grow up so fast. So Laura, right? I'm Yang. Short, nerdy and adorable!~~ over there's my little sister, Ruby. Nice to meetcha." She gave one of her customary exuberant grins, shutting both eyes and extending a two fingered wave with one hand. Her dark-haired fellow motorcyclist seemed like one of the more stable and less ridiculous of whatever this buncha weirdoes and misfits was supposed to be, so she could appreciate the normalcy. Even if normal was starting to seem abnormal at this stage.

"What you said before, about taking chances... That was nice. Thanks." The blonde laughed sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head and shifting her weight to one side. "And, um, sorry about kinda... seizing your gun earlier. We can swap if you want. I just figured this one was more my style, y'know? Mostly because I barely have to aim it to hit something."

She gave her very best pokerface. :|

@C.T. @Schnee Corp Lawyer

"...But seriously, wash your hands first!" She finally yelled after her sibling, deciding for herself to exact some small measure of payback by way of the dreaded embarrassing older sister syndrome. She rolled her eyes and glanced over at Laura with a knowing smirk, crossing her arms. "They grow up so fast. So Laura, right? I'm Yang. Short, nerdy and adorable!~~ over there's my little sister, Ruby. Nice to meetcha." She gave one of her customary exuberant grins, shutting both eyes and extending a two fingered wave with one hand. Her dark-haired fellow motorcyclist seemed like one of the more stable and less ridiculous of whatever this buncha weirdoes and misfits was supposed to be, so she could appreciate the normalcy. Even if normal was starting to seem abnormal at this stage.

"What you said before, about taking chances... That was nice. Thanks." The blonde laughed sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head and shifting her weight to one side. "And, um, sorry about kinda... seizing your gun earlier. We can swap if you want. I just figured this one was more my style, y'know? Mostly because I barely have to aim it to hit something."

She gave her very best pokerface. :|

@C.T. @Schnee Corp Lawyer
"Yes, that's right." Laura confirmed with a nod. "The pleasure is mine, Yang and Ruby. That said, there's no need to thank me. It wasn't anything spectacular. All I did was say the truth. It's pretty obvious you know this Blake, whoever he or she is. Someone you thought lost, I imagine. No one can blame you for thinking that, not with the sorry state the world's being reduced to. The message written back there suggests otherwise. No one can blame you for going out to try and find this person, either. Just to...know. Besides...a similar thing worked out in the end for me." She glanced back at the saferoom's general direction. "I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work out for you. And if I can help in anyway, only makes sense that I try to."

Laura blinked, glance shifting down at the rifle in her grasp...and simply shook her head slightly. "No apology is needed, the weapon doesn't have my name on it or anything like that. And I'm familiar enough with these types of rifles, the pisspoor condition of it notwithstanding. Just tell me if you require spare ammunition, I made sure to take the remaining 12 gauge shells." She hesitated, staring down at the ground as she mulled it over. To hell with it.

"Listen...this may not be the time or place at all but if I'm being honest, I may not get another opportunity like this anytime soon. So would you mind if I asked you something?"

"Born and raised." Laura admitted with a slight smile, not even bothering to look over her shoulder as she continued reading the messages written who knows when. "But I'll deal just fine. Get used to it. And I'll keep that offer in mind. Thanks." She answered simply and briefly before he turned away.​

There was a quirk of a smile, something that rarely showed itself. Especially in circumstances such as these-- he could tell he'd come to like the girl. In a way, this surly bastard was damn glad to have run into Yang and her lil' sister, as well as Miss Kinney. Affirming the aforementioned fact, Logan was somewhat gladdened for the chance encounter.

Though he missed the sportster he had something fierce. :' )​
Yakuza?

"Is that... a kinda... japanese... wizard?"

"Naw, think Japanese mafia if it helps. Ya do know what the mafia're, right? Not exactly nice people." That last statement there, honestly somewhat ironic coming from the Canadian. What he did, had done, in the span of his life hadn't exactly been nice... and there was a time he was the best at it. : |​
"Why."

There it was, Fireball slinging fire now, and honestly for a proper right reason. Try as he might, the taller young woman would certainly cut pass the bull, ignore him, and heap on any unfortunate soul with with fists or words. Besides, if he wanted to intercede, it'd involve resorting to an attempt at physically restraining and again, absolutely no reason for that. Though of course, and he'll lie otherwise should any imbecile think ta ask him, he was curious if Yang had actually kept on top of her training regiment. The very thought of it elicited a hearty chuckle.

Though of course it wasn't about what was happening. That probably didn't dissuade anyone-- if they caught wind-- thinking Mister Howlett was getting his jollies from a girl telling a wounded man off.

Ahem.​
Ruby was bouncing back and forth on her feet when she was finally set down, but it was a whole lot easier to see Yang's mood when she was finally put down. Ruby might have been a little feistier and stubborn than your average computer jockey, but she was still for all intents and purposes a squishy nerd shoved into a mess that she had no business surviving in. Yang was an entirely different story, and even disregarding the fact that they were sister's, even before the world had gone to poop Ruby had looked to Yang's usual confidence and determination as one of the only constants in her life. Sure she wanted to prove to Yang that she could handle herself too, and she didn't want to make her poor sister feel like she was dragging around dead weight, but that didn't mean she was used to seeing Yang like this ;~;. Her own lips were quivering briefly as she quickly wrapped Yang up in a return hug with a quiet "Same to you sis" with a sisterly nuzzle before she broke it off with a cough.

"...Soooooo, how long is he gonna-"

"...In... there..."

Ruby's mood shifted as well, though in the opposite parallel that Yang's did as her smile fell to a shocked stare as the Swede revealed his new look to them. not just his face but... all of him. He looked miserable, ruined even.

And all this because Ruby had been in such a rush she'd ignored the fact that there were cars already right there ready to go to mess with hotwiring one, and that she'd been too slow in that to do anything to stop... this. Sure he was alive but...

She shifted uncomfortably and quietly excused herself, unable to stop herself from muttering a quiet sorry as she moved pass for the bathroom and oh man it was such a bloody mess in here T_T

*A few moments later*

"Don't look at the blood. Don't look at the blood. Don't-"

".... oh no. Yang, please don't-"

"Oh my gosh YANG DON'T aaaaaah c'mon pee faster pee faster pee faster pee faster-"

"Yea, the lil' lass ain't wrong. No need to lay yer hands on him, especially when he knows he's done wrong. Ya can tell in his eyes. Listen to your little sister. Or maybe just punch him one-- like a charlie horse-- and leave it at that, the man's wounded. Don't need a senseless murder on your conscience."

The last was stated with an air of lingering regret.​
MyHe3s3.png

"Did you not wash your hands?!"

She questioned loudly as the intrepid heroine reappeared, backing away a little bit with mouth agape because gross. Yang's knee-jerk response to that, however, was little more than a coverup for her more subdued reaction to the outburst itself, which amounted to her jaw tightening while she dropped her gaze to the floor and looked away dejectedly. Her temper might've gotten the best of her from time to time, but she wasn't dumb; She knew a patented "calm down, Yang!" platitude when she heard one, and as much as she appreciated her sister's effort to stay diplomatic by not naming any names... it was still pretty obvious what she was saying was directed at her, and her alone. She was basically telling her to back off. From the guy who made Ruby cry. Who almost killed her. Did she really think this was gonna be that easy for her to swallow? On some level, she understood. Her peacemaking ways were just one of the many things she loved and admired about her little sis, but still... she'd be lying if she said it didn't sting a little that the person she was trying to defend was also the person yanking on her leash, telling her to heel.

And she'd be lying if she said it didn't sting a lot that that person was Ruby.

She rubbed her head and fell silent, letting her shoulders sag as she walked away from the Swede without another word. She didn't know if he was ignoring her or if he just couldn't talk through those bandages, but either way it seemed like she'd lost her heart to continue this discussion, so it stood to reason that he was off the hook. The guy in the leopard mask was right, anyway. His level wasn't one worth stooping to. Yang sighed as she crossed over to the other side of the room, intent on curling up against the wall of scribbles and getting some rest or something. Home sweet ho--

Xl8wwuD.png

"...What?"

Familiar.

And with that, she made for the safe room door like a bat out of hell.

Smooth.​

What the fuck. Not in respect to being relegated as a baby-sitter (:|) but the premise Yang was set on making for the door in a craze. With a loaded shotgun.

"... Y'know Yang, yer puns are just as lethal as ever. More so than that boomstick."

Not the time, obviously.

"This ain't smart. What's got you riled up like a hog on moonshine, darlin'? Did ya read something on the wal-"​
Well... she wasn't ok with it. Not really. There wasn't anyone Ruby knew who would be ok with getting punted out of a car and into zombies.

But the fact that she felt just as responsible for what happened to him and that they were all sort of in this mess together now meant that she just couldn't sit back and let rifts form between the group this early. Even if seeing Yang like that was a kick to the proverbial stomach-

Wait what

qWNBkgx.png

Well, if anyone could lead the astray Yang back onto the path, it probably was the little sister. Huh, seemed to be a pattern there, his deferring to Ruby in reining the Fireball in. ... What did that make him look like? Sheesh.

"Yer not going anyway Yang, sorry. Yer stayin' here until we figure out what's going on. At the least until I get some idea--"​

s6Ai7Fb.png

He kept getting cut off and it just kept getting hairier-- "Ah christ not you too."

"Wha-"

CBylO39.gif

Well, mostly seriously.

She attempted to lighten the mood from where she'd unintentionally babbled it into a low point, pointing imperiously back towards the bathroom and giving Ruby a hesitant-- but hopeful-- smile.​

"Right, just chopped liver here."

Sd4oNfN.png

To be honest, he was kinda staring incredulously. For one, who the heck did she think she was as to relegate her (former) sensei as babysitter? Not that it mattered. : |

"Mixed Martial Arts and not a wizard." He corrected, sighing heavily with his head inclining. "Je--eez ...," He caught himself taking the lord's name in vain in front of the girl, "I really have forgotten how hardheaded you can get when yer mind's set on something. A'ight, no other choice. I'm going with ya. Not as chaperon or all, this wouldn't sit well with me knowin' yer out there by yerselves."

Not that they couldn't take care of themselves.

"Unless yer willin' to hear me out, listen to reason, and stay safe-- what am I sayin', fat chance. That ain't happenin', I'll collect the good stuff."​
Silent, the Shredder would have nonchalantly settled into a position as the fight that did might have broken out, did not. Up to the point the rest of the puppet show began. Behind an expression as blank as the motorcycle helmet he had worn, he watched Yang intensely as she was staggered by a message...Watched her sister try to stop her, watch the other girl offer to go with them.

He moved, his step silent as he went for Logan, staring right into the eyes of the shorter figure before stopping three feet before him. The showdown was silent, brief and over as he spoke to him, the first time he had ever talked since being with this group as he used fluent English.

"You may wish to reign in your student. It is a fools errand, now of all times to emerge into the wasteland."

A cold smirk, a glint in his eye and silently, he gave off the impression he knew of Logan as much as the latter of him...Though that was obvious enough. Just as the claws of the Shredder was known in certain circles, so too was the story of the Gaijin that fought for love.

Tragic as the ending was, it had a certain aesthetic to it that the Shredder did enjoy.​

"I don't need one of yer kind tellin' me what to do, or even suggest, especially from someone with a name like yers that's got a bloody, murderous history attached to it. Shredder."

At this point, Logan had dropped out of the failing conversation (on his part anyway) in between the girls, eyes wholly intent on staring claws daggers into the leader of the Foot.

tumblr_n6ea15HLY41rtfkn6o1_500.gif

Whatever followed, perhaps a few barbs or blows exchanged or what have you, he'd certainly set himself on his way for the aforementioned supplies.

@C.T. @OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Saint Guillotine

• Bucket of Rainbows
"I don't need one of yer kind tellin' me what to do, or even suggest, especially from someone with a name like yers that's got a bloody, murderous history attached to it. Shredder."

At this point, Logan had dropped out of the failing conversation (on his part anyway) in between the girls, eyes wholly intent on staring claws daggers into the leader of the Foot.

A sharks grin flitted across the features of Oroku Saki at that name. His own title, earned through blood among the circles of the Yakuza. If there was any doubt that this gaijin and the titular champion in ages past were one and the same, they were dashed to pieces. And eye to eye, the clawed gauntlet twitched ever so briefly....Before he dropped the imposing posture first, giving a warriors bow of respect, eye contact kept as his fist pressed into an open palm.

He had earned that much at least.

"You speak my true name. And in doing so, reveal yourself in full. Perhaps in other times, we might even now be determining our strengths.... Unless you've eschewed the weapon you made infamous in my homeland since?"

He flicked his gaze in the direction of the children before back to Logan with certainty.

"They do not know you as I do. But in this new world, it will not be humans who survive. It will be monsters. I look forward to seeing yours."

And with the faintest smirk, Oroku Saki retreated. His bearing as proud in his mechanic jumpsuit and tattered red poncho, resembling a cape more then anything as he was in his expensive suit.

@Indolent

• Nice Execution!
Dean's eyes swept the room during the Swede's absence, return, and disparagement from Yang. Even though he was angry at the Swede for mercilessly abandoning Ruby during the escape, he could see that Yang was on him like white on rice. He also looked like hell, and the guilt that could be seen in his eyes told Dean that he didn't need any more chewing out.

Guy's been through hell. Why give him more?

tumblr_mettyalvEr1qe8bfro2_r1_250.gif

What his eyes caught was the veritable cache of weapons and supplies that might be needed. The medkits caught his eye and he took one from the wall, stashing it in his duffel. He glanced about, finding the weapons unlikely to come to much use in his hands so long as they weren't a pistol.

He glanced at the Shredder and Logan in their exchange concerning the yakuza. He didn't know much about Japan, other than his masterful (masturful) knowledge of hentai, but he could sense a certain presence of danger about the both of them; they'd seen some shit. Shit Dean was positive he wanted to know about. However, with the Shredder's withdrawal from Logan and the conversation, Dean found that he must wait for a different time.

Hence, he stood to Logan, watching Yang leave and then speaking.

tumblr_n1u9pdxYFS1r5ime5o1_400.gif

"So, she's the Danny to your Miyagi, huh?"

@Krieg @C.T. @Indolent @Saint Guillotine @Kakarot! @etc

Last edited by a moderator:
"Yes, that's right." Laura confirmed with a nod. "The pleasure is mine, Yang and Ruby. That said, there's no need to thank me. It wasn't anything spectacular. All I did was say the truth. It's pretty obvious you know this Blake, whoever he or she is. Someone you thought lost, I imagine. No one can blame you for thinking that, not with the sorry state the world's being reduced to. The message written back there suggests otherwise. No one can blame you for going out to try and find this person, either. Just to...know. Besides...a similar thing worked out in the end for me." She glanced back at the saferoom's general direction. "I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work out for you. And if I can help in anyway, only makes sense that I try to."

Laura blinked, glance shifting down at the rifle in her grasp...and simply shook her head slightly. "No apology is needed, the weapon doesn't have my name on it or anything like that. And I'm familiar enough with these types of rifles, the pisspoor condition of it notwithstanding. Just tell me if you require spare ammunition, I made sure to take the remaining 12 gauge shells." She hesitated, staring down at the ground as she mulled it over. To hell with it.

"Listen...this may not be the time or place at all but if I'm being honest, I may not get another opportunity like this anytime soon. So would you mind if I asked you something?"

PtgdRjl.png

"...Catch on quick, don't ya? You must be smart..."

Yang replied somberly to Laura's astute observations, looking vaguely uncomfortable as she pensively twirled one end of the ebony ribbon adorning her wrist around a finger. Not that she didn't appreciate what the other girl was saying, of course, but even talking about this with someone else made her a little uneasy; She didn't know what to expect, or whether to even expect anything at all. For as much as the thought of Blake being alive and well out there somewhere filled her with hope, the thought of pursuing it only to learn otherwise was one she could hardly bear.

But that wasn't gonna stop her from doing it.

She glanced back over her shoulder in the direction of the saferoom from where her and Laura were loitering outside of it, keeping her eyes peeled for any fleeting glimpse of Ruby or Logan between the iron bars as they rummaged for supplies. Despite her reluctance to draw anyone else into this, she couldn't help but crack a soft smile at the sight of people so willing to help her out - even if one was about as pushy as a teenage Oprah and the other was like a grouchy grandpa (she wasn't saying which was which). And then there was Laura, who as of right now was as much a mystery to her as most of the messages written back on that wall. She knew she could count on Ruby, Logan was as steady as a rock, and next to a room full of unhinged asian dudes and deformed psychos she felt like she could relate to Laura well enough, so... She guessed she should've been grateful. As four-man teams went, she could get behind this.

Even if it still felt like she should've been riding solo on this one.

Laura's inquiry pulled her from her thoughts, prompting a surprised blink as she glanced back over at her and nodded, adjusting her posture slightly so she rested one hand casually on her hip. "Oh, go ahead. Hair color and cup size are off limits."

@C.T. @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Krieg @whoever​

PtgdRjl.png

"...Catch on quick, don't ya? You must be smart..."
"...Heh."

By7dtrW.jpg

Her gaze rose up to the sky, for a quiet few seconds. "I don't know about that. The compliment's appreciated but...I mean, I got a decent enough education back home, through high school. It's just...well, other things on my mind really. So average in intelligence I guess." She shrugged. "It's just like I said. I got experience so that helps." Laura added, silence falling as she just observed Yang, not all that different from the way her keen eyes observed prey all those times she hunted.
Yang replied somberly to Laura's astute observations, looking vaguely uncomfortable as she pensively twirled one end of the ebony ribbon adorning her wrist around a finger. Not that she didn't appreciate what the other girl was saying, of course, but even talking about this with someone else made her a little uneasy; She didn't know what to expect, or whether to even expect anything at all. For as much as the thought of Blake being alive and well out there somewhere filled her with hope, the thought of pursuing it only to learn otherwise was one she could hardly bear.

But that wasn't gonna stop her from doing it.

She glanced back over her shoulder in the direction of the saferoom from where her and Laura were loitering outside of it, keeping her eyes peeled for any fleeting glimpse of Ruby or Logan between the iron bars as they rummaged for supplies. Despite her reluctance to draw anyone else into this, she couldn't help but crack a soft smile at the sight of people so willing to help her out - even if one was about as pushy as a teenage Oprah and the other was like a grouchy grandpa (she wasn't saying which was which). And then there was Laura, who as of right now was as much a mystery to her as most of the messages written back on that wall. She knew she could count on Ruby, Logan was as steady as a rock, and next to a room full of unhinged asian dudes and deformed psychos she felt like she could relate to Laura well enough, so... She guessed she should've been grateful. As four-man teams went, she could get behind this.

Even if it still felt like she should've been riding solo on this one.​
Nervous twirling of the ribbon. Shooting a glance back over in the direction of the others...a slight smile. Reassurance, perhaps? She decided on the spot, this was the right person to ask...and maybe inform. A little test run to gain her nerves up. Laura wished more of her schoolbooks had informed her on this kind of thing. She had planned and desired to find him but now that he was here, it turned out to be much harder than she had imagined it would be to tell him. Right moment, right words...I'm not even the strongest conversationalist to begin with. Bleh.
Laura's inquiry pulled her from her thoughts, prompting a surprised blink as she glanced back over at her and nodded, adjusting her posture slightly so she rested one hand casually on her hip. "Oh, go ahead. Hair color and cup size are off limits."
Likewise, her attention snapped away from her thoughts, drawn by the answer. "Oh please." She snorted. "I wouldn't even ask those if the situation was appropriate for it. It's not." Laura paused, a moment of silence passing before "...Besides, I already know one of those just from looking. Blonde's...nice. Anyway, I just wanted to ask. You've known Logan for...well, however long. What's he like as a teacher? As a man? I mean, not just the stuff I've been able to see from meeting him not long ago. Gruff and all."

@OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Indolent @Krieg

Status
Not open for further replies.