Fantasy
Slice of Life
Medieval
Science Fiction
Modern
Action Adventure
Supernatural
Post Apocalypse
Lately I've been in a bit of a funk when it comes to what to watch but I perked back up after watching a couple. It was by pure coincidence I caught The Red Turtle on some commercial-free channel and it made me cry a little. If you're curious:
MV5BNGZlYzFhNmYtMmJhMS00YTk5LWI3MDAtZmZhZTM0YzFlYjAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

I also watched 65 with Adams Driver. Good sci-fi movie.

So, what have you seen lately?

Barbie! I loved it. I'm on to watch Insidious The Red Door and Till.

Reactions: Lyrikai and Blue
Barbie!

I also saw mad max: fury road. I've never seen it. I liked mad max a lot actually.

I started watching Zom 100 but knocked out accidentally. I need to get back to it.

The last movie I watched was I Barbenheimer'd last week. First Barbie, then Oppenheimer, both great. Barbie has yielded some interesting conversations about the nature of womanhood with some folks, while Oppenheimer's dreamlike caution about academic irresponsibility and nuclear fire has dug its way into my psyche.

I also watched Barbie very recently! I loved it. Genuinely the most fun I've had watching a movie in recent times, with a super thoughtful message behind it.

I also watched Nimona recently, which honestly has not gotten enough attention. If you haven't watched Nimona and you're into found family, shenanigans, magic and knights, you definitely are missing out!

I watched Cats (1998).

I also watched Barbie very recently! I loved it. Genuinely the most fun I've had watching a movie in recent times, with a super thoughtful message behind it.

I also watched Nimona recently, which honestly has not gotten enough attention. If you haven't watched Nimona and you're into found family, shenanigans, magic and knights, you definitely are missing out!
Nimona was literally the movie I last watched before Barbenheimer. I loved it too!

And before that I think the last movie I watched was Pasolini's Edipo Re xD Not nearly as pleasant as Nimona or Barbenheimer, but in a way kinda better? Though I kinda prefer Pasolini's Medea, as that was an adaptation that seemed more....focused, I guess. Oh, and it had Maria Callas giving a stunning performance as the titular role

I'll add that Nimona the movie (idk about the original comic, as I've yet to read it) is also written as a sort of allegory for the trans experience, which is pretty cool. I only cried some time after watching that one, and just a little too, though presently I don't quite remember why. I cried much harder at the She Ra reboot, which was ran by said comic's author!

I also cried hard at Barbie. Possible spoilers:
America Ferrera's spiel about how hard it is to be a woman helped articulate some feelings of a friend of mine who watched the film, and a lot of Margot Robbie's Barbie -- not the only Barbie in the film! -- had experiences that were very specific to women (which could perhaps be narrowed to cis or white women, but I'd argue the film doesn't really support such a reading: Margot Robbie's character, for one, consistently gives credit to her colleagues of color, while a trans actress portrays one of the more prominent Barbies). As someone who's assigned male at birth and not contemplating a formal transition, I suppose my cry was partly out of empathy for women in general, especially for those in my life, but the film also somewhat universalized those experiences, I think, and sort of showed, beyond the somewhat lighthearted antics of Ryan Gosling's Ken, how modern patriarchy's oppression negatively affects everyone, or how all of humanity is tied by these various experiences, whether good or bad, by virtue of our, well, humanity. It was just....really unexpected for me, that that movie should go so deep xD

Didn't really cry at Oppenheimer, and it had probably the funniest scene of the entire double feature, but it definitely continues to just....haunt me. Some spoilery stuff:
The film's nonlinear narrative at first kinda perplexed me, not because I didn't understand what was going on, but because I didn't understand what the point of the whole exercise was until everything fell together at the end. The perspective of Oppenheimer the film is very much that of Oppenheimer the man, to the point that I'm not sure it succeeded in fully delivering enough of whatever it sought to deliver. It is odd, to say the least, how, of the film's three woman characters, the one with the most agency also has the least screentime, and the other two are way too easily distilled into tropes; likewise, we only see the effects of an atomic blast on people who don't experience it firsthand -- on the people around Oppenheimer during some of the film's "waking visions" -- which I think highly undersells Oppenheimer's angst over the nuclear annihilation he unleashed. I don't at all contest that the movie is very good, perhaps even great, but it doesn't seem to me as successful in any of its loftier goals as, well, Barbie, or for another Nolan film Dunkirk. On the other hand, someone else noted that actually showing scenes from Hiroshima and Nagasaki could have been overkill, so idk xD

Prince Caspian. (omg baby face Ben Barnes brings me joy.) I've been rewatching the Narnia movies for fun.

The Haunted Mansion!

My sister and I went to see it in theaters and it was sooooo gooood!
Absolutely amazing movie and I highly recommend to anyone who's into Disney

Where The Wind Blows, it's a Hong Kong film about two corrupt HK cops from the 60's. My dad really likes historical HK films so that's usually what I watch on his days off lololol

it's decent, I'm a Tony Leung girlie I love him lol and I just happened to be on a Hong Kong history kick so I actually knew who the characters were going into the movie which I liked

Where The Wind Blows, it's a Hong Kong film about two corrupt HK cops from the 60's. My dad really likes historical HK films so that's usually what I watch on his days off lololol

it's decent, I'm a Tony Leung girlie I love him lol and I just happened to be on a Hong Kong history kick so I actually knew who the characters were going into the movie which I liked
Ooh, there's another Where the Wind Blows, this time a British animated movie with a David Bowie song!

....it's about an old couple who lived through WWII and fatally misunderstands the nature of nuclear war. Horrendously sad -- having read bits of the comic, I dread to watch it xD

Reactions: Lyrikai
Wicked Blood with Sean Bean. Pretty good movie.

Oh man I adored Nimona so much I watched it twice. But the last three movies I watched was Strays (the foul mouthed talking dog movie. Definitely not for kids, but it was hilarious at times), The Monkey King, and Disney's Haunted Mansion remake; which I honestly enjoyed more than the Eddie Murphy one.

The Equalizer 3. Loved every minute of it.

Reactions: Reliance
I don't watch movies terribly often, but went to the Haunted Mansion with my husband and our friend, and we thoroughly enjoyed it! Movie theater popcorn always brings the experience together, of course 👻

• Love
Reactions: Lyrikai