Kaustir, Chapter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A pleasure to meet you, my friend," I reply to our new arrival in a cheery tone, "I have heard of you. By reputation, of course." People in my line of work have naturally heard of this upstanding officer of the empire.

So now I count three rather scary and dangerous individuals that I'm sitting around a table with. How delightful.

I lean back in my chair and examine Lutt with a practised eye. A Nocturne, naturally. It stands to reason, given that our glorious czar is as well. Quite what such beings are doing out in the middle of a bloody desert has always mystified me, given how the sun disagrees with them so, but I've long since learned not to question such things. "Since we're all saying hello, my name is Bracht. I guess I could describe myself as an... acquisitioner." The term 'thief' has so many negative connotations, after all. "You already know our merchant friend, and I do not wish to be so presumptuous as to introduce my colleague across the table."

Last edited:
Here lies Ranjid of Vermeria, who died well. May the folly of his masters leave no stain. To the Water Underneath he is commended.

The best warrior - the best of the best - does not pause in taverns to regale his friends. He does not swing home to kiss his lover, nor bundle children in his arms. The best warrior does not pause to smirk or play with words. He does not saunter on a street or wait for bounties. Such men are not the best. Only parodies.

The best warrior knows naught else. His life is a constant of fear and a routine of tedium.

The best warrior is the uninteresting one.

Here lies Grudlina of Daypere, who died well. May the folly of her masters leave no stain. To the Water Underneath she is commended.

Czar Lukesh kept a steady jog through the sand, the pump of arms and thighs making dust trail. At this hour the Wormwalk Road had been cleared for his morning run, as was tradition, and silence held between the southeast walls of Avarath. He was alone with his thoughts, with perception hemmed by the heavy robe he ran in.

Beside him, the lion Aukhmos padded in rhythm.

Here lies the Wizard Yasamere, who died well. May the folly of his masters leave no stain. To the Water Underneath he is commended.

He remembered that one. As Lukesh passed the grave marker it brought a memory of the killing. The Wizard had put a bomb in a whore's breast. Inventive. It was an assassination attempt not easily forgotten.

Strung along the towering section of wall, like nomad sentinels, as regular as the graves, were the ones who had lived. Lukesh's bodyguards - the assassins who had failed and been converted. They protected him now, and kept watch for any who might intrude upon his exercise.

Converted was perhaps a poor word. Sure, they served the Czar to preserve their own lives. But what separated them from those corpses in the ground - from the graves they were forced to look upon - was that they had something left to learn. Something left to do. And in that absence, Lukesh had provided. Each man who guarded him had a sentence. A number of years. And when that time was up, they would be permitted to try again. Each one carried a license to kill - a permission to finish what they first attempted. They would serve him, they would learn, and then they would have a chance to kill him once more.

To understand the why of this absurd arrangement was to understand Kaustir. There were no gods but strength of will. If a man could kill Lukesh, then a fine man he was. Those bodyguards had a frame for their existence - a ticking clock - a light in the darkness by which to align their waking hours. They were the greatest warriors next to the Czar - men of tenacity.

Why? Because they felt ownership. They felt jealousy. Each knew that if they let the Lord of Kaustir die, they would have never have the chance to kill him themselves, and thus complete their circle.

Here lies a boy of Madrigus, who died well. May the folly of his masters leave no stain. To the Water Underneath he is commended.

Such was their routine. Lukesh and his honour guard. Boring men. Brutes with little else to occupy them. The greatest of warriors.

At a ruined gatehouse, where thorn-choked stone crumbled from either wall, they made their move. Klausen had used his Advent to cling to the high gutter. He dropped now, and brought a knee strike hammering to the Czar's shoulder. It was a savage takedown, earning time enough for the others to rush from hiding.

If Klausen was above then Yassir was behind. They shared that tactic all too often. In his pain Lukesh swept out a leg and caught him as expected. The second attacker went down, and Lukesh used him to pull upright. His wrist blocked a staff strike from the third man - Barnes - but his brother, Tyrel, was on the blindside. A wood shaft cracked across the Czar's ribs. He stumbled. He turned it into a roll, twisting with the motion to face them on the upright. His fist slammed Klausen's jaw, the elbow dropped to stun the knee of Barnes. He turned with it, rolled over the man's body and caught Tyrel with his heel.

The circle reeled, then closed again. Tyrel was the swiftest. Seven staff-strikes squandered the Czar's parries, and allowed Barnes and Klausen to flank. The wood slammed his back, knocked out his calves. The Czar fell. He knuckled-struck Tyrel's knee, brought him down, butted head to head, then hissed as a staff pummeled his shoulder. His arms were taken by the ex-assassins, wrapped in expert wrist locks. And each man bade their partner move in.

Lukesh screamed as his fingers were snapped.

He was overwhelmed. The strikes came quicker, length after length of wood hammering his body. He surged forward, jolting with every hit, cradling his broken fingers. The four men followed. Lukesh stumbled over a wall, slumped against a ruin, fell down in a patch of sand between two thornweeds. He was on his knees. His strength was gone.

The four bodyguards kept behind him, their staffs half-raised. The only noise was their breaths and the shriek of their Aux, who had surrounded the roaring image of the lion Aukhmos. To this cacophony the attackers closed, and Klausen spoke.

"Yield?"

Lukesh drove both mangled hands into the sand, his broken body trembling with pain. Dark hair hung across his lowered face.

"Do you yield?"

The Czar's thumbs hooked around something.

As the line of grave markers had told, and as their very lives attested, these four bodyguards were alive because the Czar had seen something in them. He had not killed them back then... because they still had potential. They still had things to learn.

And on this particular morning, the lessons were two-fold. He who cannot form a fist is not without hands.

And... Never fight a man in his home territory.

With a spray of sand, Lukesh clapped his hands together. In each palm, a vial erupted, mixing mercury, silver nitrate, and neat vodka in violent union. Seiyr's latest offering, buried between the thornweed markers. The explosion swept around him like a ghost, flashing upwards and outwards. And each man was caught. The circle of attackers reeled, their eyes and airways seared. And as one their Aux dropped and Aukhmos among them roared.

The Czar rose. His palms were riddled with glass, great shards stuck through the flesh, wet with blood. He seized the advantage. With palm-strikes, slaps and swipes he cut a bloody swathe through his men, opening chests and limbs with the glass. And in their howls all was told. Confusion became rage, rage became anguish, and anguish became surrender.

"YIELD!" Barnes cried as he fell with bleeding arms.

"YIELD!" echoed Klausen, whose face was matted gore.

"YIELD! YIELD!" Yassir dropped in foetal curl and clutched the wounds upon his scalp.

Only Tyrel said nothing, standing off, one eye blinded. He saw his friends give in and shot a glare to the Czar. He was three years away from the end of his sentence. Impatience was creeping. He spat once on the floor and limped away, abandoning the fight.

The third lesson is an easy one.

Lukesh ran him down and put him in a headlock till he pissed himself.

* * * * * *​

Leaving a dotted trail of blood, the Burning Czar came back into his penthouse with Aukhmos padding after him. There was glass and silver in his hair, and his robes were hung in half-burned tatters. He shed the last of them and crossed to his throne. It was cool against his naked skin.

Slumping, he let the the pain speak its piece and brought his head against the cushion.

For a moment his eyes his eyes fluttered closed. Then he nodded to a guard. His hands hung over the arm-rests, pierced with glass and dripping in blood.

"Bring me a healer."

He would need to rest for tomorrow's ambush.

Last edited:
As a court healer, Amalia was obligated to report to the court in Avarath. It was near the Czar's penthouse, and almost as big as the one in Zirako. But unlike Zirako whose court consisted of old families, many in the court were wealthy merchants with only money to their names. Every time Amalia came here she saw new faces among those in court and it made her uneasy.

She smiled warmly at the merchant who carried her all the time way to Avarath. She had only paid for the merchant to carry her to the city gates, but he insisted in taking her straight to the court. Climbing out of his caravan - the court guards were watching with leery eyes - Amalia fished out some extra coin for the spice merchant, but he waved it aside.

"No need. You were pleasant company and a big help during that sandstorm. I wish I had eyes like yours. It would save me a lot of money, being able to see through the sand."

Her smile grew wider and she bowed at the waist to show her appreciation.

***​

She was on her way to her quarters when a guard caught her arm.

"Amalia Lortik?"

"Yes, that's me." The guard's grip on her was strong and painful. "W-What is it?"

"The Czar requests a healer." And he dragged her towards the penthouse as a mixture of confusion, fear, and panic bubbled inside Amalia's stomach. She wanted to protest, state that she was a healer of the spirit and not the body, but he was moving so fast and his grip was so agonizing that all Amalia could do was breathe and hiss.

And suddenly, she arrived at a pair of double doors which were promptly opened, and Amalia was instructed to go inside.

There's blood everywhere, thought Amalia and then her eyes adjusted.

No it was the cushions and sheets she was seeing. She should have been accustomed to the decorations used in Kaustir, but as a healer red meant blood. And blood meant dying.

Her eyes quickly found the limp form of the Czar upon his cushions, body bloodied and covered with sand and glass. Normally she would have rushed over to her patient... If it weren't Czar Lukesh lying there before her, naked. The woman's cheeks immediately flushed and she stood rooted there for a moment before logic struck, and she began rummaging in her pack. Matil, her sand cat Aux, trotted forward, but paused upon seeing Aukhmos.

"Why aren't the other healers here?" she mumbled as she withdrew her bandages and alcohol from her bag. "I'm useless in these situations."

Approaching the Czar took a great deal of courage from Amalia. She had seen the man before, but from afar. At a distance she marveled at his strength and courage, never daring to approach. The man exuded confidence, but the nobles in court spoke of his unpredictability. And Amalia knew from experience that those who were vulnerable tended to act unpredictable.

She bowed silently and began to work, pulling out bits of glass from his hands with her delicate, slim fingers. For fragments that were too small for her to pick out, Amalia used a pair of silver tweezers. The mere process of removing the glass took almost an hour, and in that amount of time Amalia never met the man's eyes nor did she speak a word.

As she wrapped the bandages around the man's wounds, Amalia muttered, "... I am sorry my Czar. A better healer would have tended to these injuries faster. I am a healer of the spirit, not the body. Allow me to tend to that to make up for my lack of speed."

A brush of hesitation, and Amalia touched her fingertips to Lukesh. Matil paused, emitted a silent meow, and padded over to Amalia. The Aux became translucent and disappeared into the healer's body.

"Your Aux needs to join you," she muttered, her pulse racing. "It's your way of consenting."

ARANIA
[dash=magenta]Arania had had a long day during the games, and was rather relieved when they allowed her to leave the premises after treating Czar knows how many injured soldiers. As she got home, in the little house where her shop was on the bottom floor, her own house on the top, she slumped against the counter in the shop, unable to get up to her room at the moment.

There had been a variety of different, serious injuries, and a bunch had required that she actually used her alchemy to heal them, making her tired, extremely tired. It had been a day too harsh for her, since she usually only treated about a handful of patients during one day. It was an hour or so before closing time, and after ten minutes, she heard the doorbell as someone cracked the door open.

"Ah. Ria. You're here to get the medicine for your son, I believe?" The fumbling woman nodded and Arania cracked her back as she stood up. She'd need to feed soon. She had some blood stored upstairs in her room, unable to drink blood from living creatures. She found the medicine on the many rows of different things, and handed the bag over to Ria. "Another month's supply. I believe that he should be just fine after he has finished this. If he isn't, I request that you take him to me immediately."

The woman gave a last sign that she had heard the words before she turned and ran out of the shop.

Some people were just like that.

Without much of an effort, she managed to drag herself upstairs, after locking and closing the shop down. She fell onto the bed immediately, wondering what kind of day was in store for her.
[/dash]

Reactions: 2 people
Tharwa

Gold - glorious, glimmering, can't-have-too-much-of-'em gold. A good man may warm your bed, but enough gold can buy you a warm house so you can have that bed all to your lovely self.

Tharwa smiled inwardly at her meandering thoughts, pieces of the exalted currency clinking together in the hidden pocket of her vest. The morning's shenanigans were very profitable indeed - her client collected his winnings looking like a cat in cream, she was richer by a few golden coins, and Nazmir - well. Given that the highlight of his fight was spewing all over his opponent, he was lucky to get off with getting pelted by rotten vegetables. It could've been worse... he could've been pelted with stones.

She was in a fine mood until it was darkened by the sight of the (in)famous Lut Sar strutting around, the Czar's Insignia pinned to his lapel, acting for all the world as if he was already chosen General. As if the games were just a formality and all who joined were blighted corn to be plowed over.

A nocturne given to fits of eccentricity on the throne and another one prone to egoism right beside him. Tsch! It will be the death of Kaustir.

Her eyes followed Lut's form, heartbeat matching the cadence of his steps. When her sight could no longer find him, she looked down, surprised that her fingers were curled and rigid as claws. She breathed in deeply, took one step, then another, until she was able to recapture a smidgen of her previous mood.

A series of muffled bangs came from somewhere above. She looked up and gave a soft "Oh!" of delight - the skies were lit by pyrotechnics signalling the end of the first day of the Czar's games. Tharwa sought out the form of empire's Military Engineer and found Seiyr barking commands at her men, sometimes snapping her fingers to light the occasional defective firework. A mundane, demeaning task for one of the greatest strategists of the time.

The gears inside Tharwa's head suddenly kicked into full swing and something was hatched. There were a lot of things riding on that something, and maybe there's even a chance to acquire more gold. Glorious, glimmering, can't-have-too-much-of-'em gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theo the Miner
Theo collected his allocated meal from the communal mess hall and mooched to a quiet corner. Mealtime was always just a little awkward - for a start, they didn't make the tables with creatures of his stature in mind.

He'd been hearing the odd word about the games all day, from the other miners in his tunnel muttering amongst themselves, but he hadn't realised the scale of it until it was the only thing everyone was talking about around him. There was a real buzz in the air he hadn't felt in a long time - an excitement that infected the whole hall. News travelled quite fast around the lower tunnels, though it did take a while to get there. The games had already begun.

Would he like to go? Yes, though not to participate. It would be great to see, to cheer on the next glorious general.

Not that that mattered - he'd never get to go: there was just too much work to do down in the depths.

Reactions: Jade
Nils walked through the labyrinth of tunnels, taking a shortcut through the communal mess hall his gaze met Theo's. Nodding professionally he swept past the large creature and continued his journey to the surface. Emerging onto the barren wastes Nils saw an ore caravan about to leave for Avarath. Walking over he climbed into the lead wagon and glared at the driver. "I hope you make your shipment on time, I would hate to miss the games." Sweating in fear the driver nodded "Y-yes sir!"

As the caravan entered the gates of Avarath Nils sighed and dismounted the wagon. Pushing his way through the crowd he pulled his hood up so as to avoid any observers. Ipari guards lived dangerous lives, since the only way to join the elite few is if a guard dies many "applicants" decide to take matters into their own hands to speed up the process.

Ducking through an alleyway Nils was stopped short by a sword bearing individual emerging from a doorway. "I think its time you retired Ipari, you Nocturnals live way to long for us humans to get a shot at the job." The human worker raised his sword and took a fighting stance, "You picked a really bad time to get a promotion." Nils swept his arm forward and his chain whipped out and wrapped itself around the man's sword arm, pulling back quickly the barbed chain ripped its way through flesh and bone, leaving the man with a mutilated arm and screaming in pain. "Thanks for the snack, I was getting hungry." Rushing forward Nils lifted the man up and promptly tore out his throat with his fangs, gulping down the blood that pulsed from the man's artery. After he drank his fill Nils threw the corpse to the side and wiped his mouth, he then walked out of the alleyway and into a nearby lounge. As he walked inside Nils spotted a familiar figure. walking up next to her he called out in a slightly mocking but friendly tone, "well if it isn't Delesia Tyiral, what brings you back to the capitol? Some unlucky mark get a price on his head that was worthy of your skills?"

GM Edited : City inaccuracies

Seiyr
[dash=red]"-and the bloke let it loose right on the ground! Nearly blew his body to bits!," Seiyr exclaimed, running a hand through her hair tiredly. She spoke to her apprentice, Nyroc. He nodded understandingly, knowing better than to interrupt the woman. The sun was at its zenith, and she wanted desperately to shake off her cloak. Her blonde waves were usually hidden beneath her hood, but the weather would simply not allow it. All the fireworks have been prepared for the day, and her agenda was already full. She had a report to deliver.

Looking down at the injured boy, she realized it was the same one whom she talked to just earlier. His erratic breaths turned into a groan of pain as Seiyr lifted the young pyrotechnist with both arms. He was light, fortunate for him. She had no problem dragging the boy if he proved to be a burden. Locking eyes with Nyroc, the High Imperial Engineer spoke, "watch over the rest of them. If anyone comes looking for me, tell them I'll be in the presence of the Desert Sun. If it's an emergency..." she tapped her side, where a black pouch hung.

Turning away, Seiyr briskly motioned to another student, this one a girl. She brought the boy here, and therefore was responsible for getting him to a medic. Setting the injured male against a tree a bit further from the foot traffic, the engineer tore a strip of fabric from her sleeve, swiftly and remorselessly tying it around the worst part of the male's hand, ignoring his sharp hiss of pain.

"What's his name?" she asked the younger girl.

"H-his name? He's- uh. Jerome, miss".

"Jerome, is it?" Seiyr finished tying the knot. "Your master will not know of this little… fumble. I'll have the girl take you to a good healer that I know. Her name is Arania, I'm sure you know of her. Once you are ready to walk, you will do so without pausing." She turned to the girl. "You will tell Arania that I sent you. If she asks for pay, tell her I will be around tonight to take care of that. Understood?"

The girl nodded vigorously, making a deep bow. "Make haste!" Seiyr snapped. The girl fumbled, but managed to get Jerome to his feet and provided a decent amount of support. The engineer watched the pair walk away. Her patience was wearing thin, and the parchment tucked into her cloak was beginning to dampen from sweat. She knew she had to deliver the report to Lukesh, but another issue needed to be addressed.

Standing up, Seiyr spoke to the woman -a stranger- that stood in the distance, allowing her voice to be carried behind her.

"Shall we walk?" [/dash]
[das,h=red][/dash.

• Love
Reactions: IceChateau777
Delesia Tyiral

Delesia narrowed her eyes and chuckled lightly when Nils stood beside her. "Are you loosing your talent? I would hate to see that happen." She turned around to face him, with the challenging grin hidden under the cloth. "I could smell you coming miles away." That wasn't quite true, but the fact that she heard him coming in and approaching was more than enough to cover the story. They already caught too many glances and the cover lost it's purpose. She might just as well annoy the owner for a little bit. "The target..." She proceeded taking off the cloth that covered her face and hair. "He was more or less an insult for my abilities. You know how I appreciate a good challenge."

Turning to a free separated spot, she signalised Nils to follow. Having a drink there now seemed less pathetic and she could use a break. The last amount of blood she had was a "junk juice" and the energy it provided her with was barely enough but it wasn't the first time. She looked around briefly. The place was filled with hookers full of warm and heated blood. After all, the owner still owed her one. "But as everyone else, I needed money." She smirked looking at Nils. "And as everyone else, he paid me ridiculously high amount of gold to take down one merchant that even did his job the wrong way. Fat bastard." Her laughter rang as she remembered the oversized lizard and his pleadings. She got soft and did him a favour. The death was fast for he had no chance and spending her strength on a weak link would mean a disrespect towards herself.

Rubbing her template gently, she waited Nils to sit as well.
"Long time no see, guardian. I was about to search some shallow graves along my ways thinking I might find you there." The sarcasm in her words was obvious for she respected her former comrade even after they went their separate ways. He was one of the bloodiest males she knew and his overly sadistic nature tended to be both attractive and amusing at the same time. "People go a long way in hating bastards like you and me, my dear Nils." Nodding to her own words, she made herself more comfortable. "But story telling and a drink is on me this time." Delesia concluded her statement, dropping a bag of gold on the rotting lounge desk.

Reactions: Dunruffle
NAE
[dash=#660000]
The scents flitted on the air, thousands of them, curling about with every draft, pressing upon him like eager little children vying for his attention. They never failed to please him and having the time, he summoned them to him one by one, calling them by name, remembering where they had crossed paths time and again. There were very few unfamiliar to him and that handful commanded a greater portion of the troll's conversation. He rambled softly to them in the halted lyrical syllables of his peoples tongue.

Nae sat on the shopkeepers counter. One leg folded beneath him, the other dangling playfully, swaying to the faint song he hummed, when not talking to himself. The few men that he brought with him to the city were scattered somewhere around the exterior of the building, unseen, but close. Only he had entered the shop in the wee hours of the morning and in the short time accounted for all the inhabitants by smell.

So the keeper was female and alone. To be successful, as the rumors regaled her, this spoke of unsurpassed talent or a rash of hard luck, possibly both, possibly neither, but he doubted it. Neither assumption deterred him from seeking answers, this shop came highly recommend and he had not been idle while observing the games and various happenings in town. Nae was never lax.

The shifting aromas spoke to him. "Hn." The shopkeeper was woke and moved about on the upper floor. Nae drew his leg up, pulling his petite form in tight on the apothecary's counter. Knees pressed to his chest, chin resting on them, he waited for her to descend the stairs, looking every bit like a statue in some eccentric collection.[/dash]

• Love
Reactions: Asmodeus and unanun
ARANIA - AVARATH
[dash=magenta]
It had been a long, long night for Arania, but when she had woken again, she had found herself in a calmer mood than for a long time. Her face seemed a bit... lighter, even. It puzzled her, but she payed it no heed. Instead of her usual black attire, she was in a white dress, with nothing but a belt tied around her waist, a light grey cape over her shoulders, and her protective headwear wrapped around her arm as a bracelet. There was not much more to her appearance, as she wasn't expecting guests. Without her usual darkness looming around her, she looked like an entirely different, and more fragile, person.

When she descended the worn staircase, she could immediately feel the presence of a person, and she carefully made her way down as her senses tingled. When she got there, she found a creature propped on the counter, and she carefully stepped closer, though staying at a distance. "And who might you be? What reason do you have to enter my shop at this time of the day?" She said carefully, though, this could hardly be called "day".

She thought that it was probably a person wanting to buy some medicine from her, but she simply couldn't resonate why a person would break into her shop just to buy something. She had a good reputation in Avarath, sure, but she didn't figure people would be this eager for her services. Figuring that the person was not of her danger, she slowly repositioned herself to a more normal stance, looking at the male in front of her. She had learned after so long that it was a virtue to take things such as these with care and caution. As well as a good attitude.

There were a lot of things that she needed to learn along her journey, mostly so how to deal with situations such as these, and how to tackle when she was in a pinch. She was still just an apothecary - no one special, no one in particular. The only special memory she could recall was the days that she fumbled through the forests in Viridos - barely surviving her way through, but when she did, she was also granted with this satisfactory life that she seemed to live, and that in itself was enough for her to not complain about the way that she lived her life. Why would there be a reason to, in the first place?

She turned on a few oil lamps inside of the room, making it a little less dark, at least. The sun had yet to rise, and she turned toward the stranger again.
[/dash]

Reactions: unanun

K'larr stay seated as he waited for his eccentric guests to conclude formailities. "I apologize for the late introduction. I am Lut, an acquisitions officer for our nation's army. That means I am interested in any and all artifacts, supplies, and ordinance that anyone and everyone could offer to our warriors. To sell to me is to arm our nation." the seemingly young official said, the sentiment failing to stir any response but that of the thief, "Since we're all saying hello, my name is Bracht. I guess I could describe myself as an... acquisitioner. You already know our merchant friend, and I do not wish to be so presumptuous as to introduce my colleague across the table."

As the two continued to talk, Vira returned carrying a giant silver platter over her head. The dish held four crystal clear glass chalices with a matching decanter, all rimmed in accents of purple. Setting it down in front of the men, she first put one glass neatly into K'larrs right hand and filled it. Next, she filled the other three, leaving them on the table; the guests could reach for their own drink. With that, she quickly went back to whatever was behind the silk.

"Now then, Lut! I do loath to appear so forward, but we really must move to business! Though, it would appear I already had my answer as you walked in, Imperial Insignia penned to your breast." The bulbous Draken said, pouring wine into his tremendous mouth, "Now please; do you seek the position or not? Please do not take offense my dear friend, but I do not see you getting anywhere in this contest if you are to proceed in the... conventional manner. That being said, I will be throwing my support behind someone, and I would prefer it be someone I can trust."

Last edited:

Ssylrath_zps781516eb.jpg

The two who were taking sign ups at the counter quickly exchanged secretive words in between themselves before writing down his name. Of course K'Jol knew that that the games were not going to start up for a while but at least he secured himself a spot in the Games. He had no idea how many of the commoners would decide to join the Games so in his mind it was good to make himself known early. The Draken soldier pushed his way through the crowd of people once more, making his way out of the coliseum and back into the open streets of Avarath. His gaze turned down to his Aux, and noticed that U'Sil was sleeping upon his arm. He gave the cobra a smile once more. It was good for U'Sil to get as much rest as she needed. He had no idea what challenges they would be facing together in the coming days. K'Jol then began to look at his arms, seeing how large he was and what advantages he would have. He was a brute, but he would not be as fast as some who may compete in the coming days. A grunt came from the warrior before he slammed a balled fist into his palm.

"I will have to finish all of those who I face in one blow. I will make my reputation greater and show everyone that I am the greatest out there..."

After he spoke to himself he walked down the street again, contemplating whatever else he may need. After a few moments he stopped once again, a surprised expression on his face. Someone of his stature would need a personal healer rather than some random one. The one person in his mind who he thought was pretty experienced was Arania. He would rather have her assisting him with his injuries in battle then some random commoner with the merchant city. K'Jol then turned to his left, making his way to the home of the healer Arania.

Upon making his way to the entrance, he noticed the door was slightly opened. Had someone arrived at the place before him? The brute shrugged before pushing his way into the home, smelling a lot of different substances. In front of him was the esteemed healer and another, although he had no idea who he was. The Draken decided to ignore the other man's existence, focusing on the healer. His hand rose up to point and index finger at her.

"Arania! You have the privilege of seeing the esteemed Draken soldier K'Jol before you on this day. I hope you take pride in my visit, for I want to ask something of you. Become my personal healer, and you shall be known as the great friend of the new general - me!"

Lut passed the tip of his tongue along his lips.

"Even if I had the ambition, I am not unconfident of making my own headway into the tournament." He reached forward to pick up the seal, twirling it expertly in his hands, fixing each one of the group with a piercing, appraising gaze. "I am proud of what I have done in service of the country," he spoke softly, deliberately.

He threw his arms into the air in resignation, ignoring the wine.

"Fine! Let me hear your proposal. I hope the other two here are your accomplices."

The seal landed behind him, a soft landing in the plush carpet.

Last edited:

K'larr roared back at his pale guest, "The proposal has been made! Must I lay it out more plainly for you? If you agree, you will be assured victory, if not, then I will find someone else, and THEY will find themselves as right hand to Lukesh.", his patience having worn away, leaving a stern, pragmatic focus. "Do not think me one to toy with, Sarr. I am offering you something remarkable; either accept or deny, but do not insult me by so heavily scrutinizing such a generous proposal."

Last edited:
Reactions: Torsty
NAE
[dash=#660000]
A question before his own questions were asked. This was to be expected, just as his lengthy silent inspection of the female nocturne in front of him. He approved, her appearance matched her scent well. Cool and dark like most of her kind, but with a smell that could only be conjured by the combination of all the wares of her trade and her distinct feminine musk. Very pleasant indeed, but all mostly useless to the puzzle that plagued the troll.

"Nae." he chirped kindly with a slow smile to follow. "And if lengthy fancy titles are important to you, I can add that as well, Hn. I have one or two." he unfolded himself from his squat on the counter and stretched himself out, leaning on his side with a matted lock of his hair twirling in his hand. His other propped up his head, but the troll was far from being relaxed.

"The Chrysanthemums. How wise to line the lower shelves with them. Keeps unwanted pests from devouring or spoiling your stock." he rambled as she wandered about the place ruining the atmosphere by lighting the lamps. "Which is a shame since now I am extremely at my wits end with hunger." He'd noted the plants earlier, but in his new position they commanded his view. The flower deterred insects from entering her shop, which totally ruined his ideas for tiding over his stomach until he found a decent meal. His questions for the woman and whatever else he had to say would need to wait as the door was shoved open and a massive body loomed in the doorway.

The proclamation was honorable, at least the male's voice made it seem such. Nae rose from his reclined position, looked from Arania to the male with a smile lightly laced in sarcasm, and clapped enthusiastically. "This is cause for celebration, yes? But, what, I wonder, will she be known as if you die, oh esteemed one?" he purred and set the nail of his index finger in his mouth, leaning forward expectantly. This K'jol looked as though he could do exactly what he intended, smelled that way too, but if in the end he didn't it would be surprisingly sad. Either way, knowing him would be beneficial, the flesh beneath the creatures thick skin tasted divine.

[/dash]

Reactions: unanun
ARANIA - AVARATH
[dash=magenta]
Arania listened to Nae, but when the male spoke to K'jol, she waved him off sternly, as a mother telling her child to behave. "I am well clever enough for answering this myself, sir." She said in a sharp voice as she stepped closer to K'jol, her entire body almost looming with the calm that she felt deep in her core. Unlike usual, Arania didn't feel that one string of fear that she was supposed to feel if strangers lingered about in her home, but her Aux had yet to warn her as it was there, placed under her dress so that it wasn't visible. When her Aux didn't warn her, there was no chance that these people wanted to hurt her.

"Sir, I do not know if I can answer such a request with immediate knowledge of my wants, and as you can currently see, I am with a customer at this very moment. If you would not mind, why do I not talk to him first, and then we can discuss this matter afterwards?" She inclined politely as she offered a small bow to K'jol. Becoming the healer of a warrior... huh. It was a bit of a thing to accept, when it came to the always peaceful Arania. Despite her race, she hated taking the lives of humans. It was, to her, a healer, the most horrible thing one could do. She didn't even do so if the person in question offered for her to do so. She simply did not have those kinds of morals. Therefore, becoming the healer of a renowned warrior, or whatnot, was a bit for her to think about. It was not that she did not want to accept, but there was the reluctance. The fear.

She turned to Nae, who was still propped on the counter, folding her hands as she looked at him directly.
"Nae, you came here in seeking of something, I believe?" She said calmly as she looked at him. "I believe that it is some sort of special medicine? Is there anything in specific that you were looking for?" [/dash]

And naturally, we're already at each others' throats.

This is what happens when you put individuals such as us into a room together.

I, however, have not just pulled one of my most risky jobs to date in order to have my chances at advancing my career dashed by an impatient fucking lizard. So donning my most friendly of diplomacy faces, I quickly intervene after K'larr's outburst.
"Allow me to put it another way, just so we are all on the same page here. I am quite certain that a person of your status has many a friend in high places. Our present company testifies to this." I flash a smile at the draken merchant sitting at the head of the table. "But that alone cannot guarantee you the title. For this, you are needing friends in... lower places, shall we say.

"Now speaking solely for myself, I make for a good friend. I can reach the places no-one else can. I can find the things that others wish hidden."
I chuckle and add, "Also, I am told I'm excellent at parties."

Re-adjusting my seat, the tone of my voice shifts back to the serious. "Combine me with the... talents of my esteemed colleague across the table as well as the connections and influence of K'larr, and there is nothing your enemies can throw at you that you will not be able to counter. And believe me, you will have enemies. Every half-bit warrior and would-be military figure in the empire is drooling at the possibility of seizing this prize, and they will be willing to use every underhanded trick in the book. With such foes, you need friends."

With another smile, I spread my arms. "And with friends such as us, the games will be yours for the taking."

• Love
Reactions: Torsty and unanun

"..."

A rather ugly expression passed over Lut's face. For a moment he seemed ready to respond to K'Larr's poking, perhaps even challenging him to a duel in the sands. But for all his overt actions, his words were evenly paced.

"The merchants and I, the army, have always been comrades, my dear friend. There has always been an implicit understanding between us, has there not? That we should not dabble in each others business. Am I to understand that you would want to influence someone to be the Czar's right hand? Do you have ambitions beyond a man of commerce?"

He learned forward, moving to the edge of his seat, elbows on legs and hands clasped in between them. He was about to speak again, but he listened silently to Bracht's words.

In the capital Zirako, the merchant class was non-existent. Avarath stood in such starkness to the other two that had it not been inside Kaustir, it might have been a city-state. But the strength of its merchants could not be denied. For this very reason, Lut had tirelessly worked to establish a beneficial relationship with the traders here.

This day was inevitable. Merchants and soldiers were fundamentally opposed - as one who straddled the lines, he knew. Bracht, K'Larr, and the other all worked for themselves, colluding only temporarily, ambitious and insatiable. The worst foe that an army could ever ask for - a decentralized army that swarmed with no pattern or motive. A group of individuals with no allegiance or patriotism.

His next decision would likely send shockwaves into the the future for a long time. But even if the Czar - no, even if the Desert Sun burned out - Kaustir would survive.

"I accept your proposal. Tell me the details."

The desert scarab dropped off the ceiling, landing on top of the seal. Its body obscured the lion's eyes.

Ssylrath_zps781516eb.jpg

K'Jol sent a glare to the troll before a growl started to rise from the bottom of his throat. He already did not like the individual in front of him one bit, and was pissed off that he would even think of him losing. Who was mighty enough to take down the Draken beast in the first place? His attention then went to the healer as she stated that the other man had come before him and that he should wait. A sigh left the Draken, knowing that what she said was right. K'Jol looked around, seeing a chair close to the wall. He withdrew his massive halberd from his back, letting it drop to the floor with a clang as if he were making a statement before sitting down in the chair. He rested his arm on the chair before resting his head on a balled fist.

"Alright, how about I wait here for you two to get done then?"

Status
Not open for further replies.