Kaustir, Chapter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYJUFtD.jpg

From all of the sobs and moans, Nassad could only gain happiness. These slaves were worthless to him. The money he would collect from Czar would help him finance his next venture. He would take it and sponsor one of the warriors in the game. If he was paired with someone of winning status, it was possible that he would be able to bring him to his glory. Nassad looked at the slaves and bid them farewell. An attendant came and took the cart of slaves away, most likely to some pit of despair where all life was sucked from each person. Before the attendant left he was handed a black leather back filled with coin. He wasn't going to be as squandered as usual. This time he would put it into something that would let him win. Maybe a strong warrior, a Draken could take him where he wishes to be. Someone with a reputation perhaps, someone like K'Jol... Nassad shoved the pouch into his pocket and walked out from the palace and into the streets. Maybe this warrior would be participating in the games.

Reactions: 3 people
NAE
[dash=#660000]
Nae tilted his head casting an uninterested dull gaze at the female. He sighed and clicked his tongue. "Watch your tone, please. Nae was not answering for you, merely wishing to celebrate should the cause arise." he purred back unaffected by her attempt at a rebuke. It was needless and spoiled the fun. "It would be wise for you to keep that tongue in check. Especially, with strangers. One as valuable and needed as you should harbor a little more in the way of self preservation, hn?" he had no plans to kill her, but in the harsh world they lived in, his words held a truth that could not be denied. Besides, plans could change in an instant.

He turned to the drake in time to catch the glare he sent his way and gave the drake the same calm smile in efforts to sooth unneeded animosity. It was hard for Nae to be fearful of him, when all he could see was a full days meal in the warrior. A potentially dangerous yet humorous mistake, considering the words he just uttered. Thinking straight was difficult on an empty stomach, but he knew his own weaknesses unlike the nocturne woman, apparently. "Need something? Hn, yes, but, perhaps when we are both less pressed for time and attention." what he had to say was for her ears alone. He had hoped she would pick up on that, but Nae was patient. He could wave his title as Guardian and urgently demand a private audience, but he did not want to flash that card just yet, he could wait or easily find someone else. "I will come back another time, perhaps?"

[/dash]

Last edited by a moderator:

"I accept your proposal. Tell me the details."

"You needn't worry yourself about that, my dear Lut. My associates and I will make all necessary arrangements; we do not require your assistance in these matters, all that we require is your full cooperation." K'larr spoke softly this time, slowly adjusting his position upright and reaching for a thick, crooked walking stick. It was of a strong, hard, dark wood, like that of the trees found in the forests and jungles of Viridos, the wood twisting and turning, coming to a head which was pierced like a bull through the nose with a massive silver ring. Taking it in both hands, K'larr leaned forward, looking the Nocturn square in the eyes as he said "Don't worry about a thing my friend, you can leave everything to me; you know I would never lead you astray.". The imposing lizard had softened, exuding a strange aura of calm assurance, a friendly glow emanating off his large green countenance. Something was happening to the young official as K'larr spoke; all of a sudden it was as if he were in a stupor, eyes glazed, posture changed to a slouch, hanging on the lizards every word as if it were divine gospel. As, K'larr finished speaking, a fog seemed to lift from Lut's eyes. He stood up, turned about slowly and made his way to the door, obviously confused by the situation, but without will or reason to contemplate his predicament. As the young man walked out the door, the men to K'larr's left and right sat in shock, while the fat Draken himself held a pleased grin across his face.

Last edited:
ARANIA - AVARATH
[dash=magenta]
One could say many things about Arania, but there was one thing that she always knew - when to stop. She knew that this discussion with Nae would bring her nowhere, and she refrained from replying for this simple reason. There was no background for picking a fight, in the first place, and fighting was not something that she enjoyed very much. So she didn't reply to Nae's discussion, just nodded at the last part of what he said. "Very well, after all, you are the customer. But this won't take long, so please do stay around if time isn't too pressing for you." She said politely, her gaze returning to K'jol. She was at a loss. Would she be able to leave Avarath? The place that had provided her with safety and a life? She wasn't so sure yet. She would need to be convinced more surely, if that was the case. She wouldn't just leave Avarath with no reason at all.

Mustering up a reply that didn't sound impolite, she gracefully turned herself toward him.
"Sir, I must say that this large place has been my home for many years. I've helped a lot of people; warriors, such as yourself, but also the elderly, children and their families, everyone who would need treatment. I am a healer of the people. I enjoy being able to help as many as I can." She cast her gaze down but then looked back up at him. "In two days' time, come back here. I am not able to give you a reply in such a haste, and if you come back in two days, I vow to have a reply for you." She said, wondering if he would accept that. He seemed like a very blunt person, and she didn't want to offend him with her words.

There was a lot of tension in the air between the three, well, that was to be expected, seeing as they were technically two intruders, and she had right to throw them out. But there was no reason to do that. They had not harmed her, and her Aux had yet to alarm her of anything dangerous. And her Aux was never wrong. She had seen her life be saved time and time again because she listened to her Aux. She trusted it and put her life in the hands of this little device pulsing against her chest like a second heart. But it was a calm pounding, nothing dangerous or alarming, rather it was warm and relaxing.

She wondered if the answer would be enough to satisfy K'jol, because she honestly couldn't come with a "yes" or a "no" right at this moment, mere moments after she had woken of a slumber induced by her overly large use of magic. There was no time for such decisions, at least not as she stood now. It wouldn't go in her favor if she came with an answer that wasn't honest.[/dash]

Tharwa

"Shall we walk?"

Tharwa thought the epigram "jumping out of one's skin in surprise" was a crock of piss until she experienced it firsthand. She gaped at Seiyr, mouth alternately opening and closing like a landed fish in the throes of death. This should teach her not to overestimate her skulking abilities - she had no business standing in the shadows staring intensely at people, mainly because she had no talent for it.

"Uhh... okay. After you." Tharwa replied. She shuffled behind Seiyr, thinking of a hundred excuses to extract herself from the situation. They ranged from downright silly, I was staring at you because your outfit is fabulous, who is your seamstress?, to the dirty truth, I need you to win the games to upset the balance of power in Kaustir. Why should the damn nocturnes have it all?

She snuck a look at Seiyr, trying to gauge how to play her cards. The woman had an aura of severe competence about her that was both intimidating, and strangely reassuring. Tharwa realized that her saucy bullshit (charming as it might be to the male populace) would not fly with this one .

"You might be wondering why I was standing there looking like I was... erm... stalking you. To be honest, I seldom see officials your rank doing this type of work." She gestured at the direction of fireworks. "They usually leave it to the the servants or apprentices. If you were not here to dispense quick orders to take that boy to a healer, he might not have made it. To see you do that..." Tharwa shrugged, and let some truth slip out. "It gives me hope that those in the high chairs do care about Kaustir and its common people, and not just the glory of winning wars or having power. I hope you do not think me too forward for a commoner, but if you placed your bid for General and won, I would be thankful for it. And I'm sure I would not be the only one with the same sentiment."

Tharwa almost patted herself on the back after her speech. There. She thought. The sweet, sweet balance of some truth and some kissing arse. Hopefully she believes it.

Ssylrath_zps781516eb.jpg

K'Jol watched closely as the two exchanged words. It didn't matter to him much, but the man in front of the two was unmistakably hostile although he didn't really have a reason to be. What was the true motive of the man in front of him? He saw Arania's gaze turn to his, and he met it with a serious expression. How would she respond to the brute before her? The Draken was quite surprised by her response, seeing that she was being overly polite. He hated stuff like that. He would rather have had her call him K'Jol or something of the sort, but paid close attention to her words. The Draken had understood her words completely, seeing that it actually would be hard for the woman in front of him to leave her home if he did end up winning the games. He watched her look down before looking back up. He murmured to himself while she was in the middle of her sentence.

"I didn't know it would be effecting her THIS much..."

His mind took note of the two days proposal and he sighed before grunting a little. It was true that he did slam down his idea on her rather quickly and nodded at her words. His right hand rose up before sticking up his index and middle finger.

"Two days. I expect to have an answer by then. Know that your reputation probably exceeds what you think. Having you by my side would be a real advantage for me and for you yourself."

The beast stood up before grabbing his halberd, sheathing it once more on his back. His steps shook the house as he exited.

EYJUFtD.jpg

Nassad walked through the city with a plan. The games would be at soon, so he had to get to Avarath. Zirako was a nice place, in eyes at least, but he had an agenda to fulfill. As he did before he moved through the streets to his home. By home it was more of a headquarters which had extra carts, a couple of servants, and weapons of torture. Nassad didn't work alone on all of his ventures. Since he worked for the Czar he would able to make enough money to start his own business, with the help of a couple of other slavers. His business partners were Lenth Bactus and Norn Meph. Both of them had traveled out to Dorgrad to help keep the workers of the mines in their place. Compared to Nassad, they were not as inhuman as he was. The way he treated his fellow humans was inhumane. Even the servants who worked for him were only treated slightly better because they had been "trained" by him. Training was something he did on the side. He broke wills, and taught how to be a proper servant. In fact when he entered into his headquarters both of the servants bowed to him and brought him something to eat. Before he left he ate a small watery stew with a mug of Kresnik to drink. Once he cleaned his face and clothes he began to pack. He took the normal traveling gear, a cart, a horse, and some of his weapons. Then he packed his savings into his backpack and then started for the gate. The common folk moved out of his way as he rode toward the gate. Once he reached the gate he pulled the reins close to him and then he threw them forward to stir the horse. The desert sun burned down on him while the wind pushed against his face.

The Czar's hand shot out. His fingers gripped Amalia's and broke her magic with a jolt.

"My spirit... is well."

Bloodied spots appeared through the bandages, white becoming red. He did not relent. "You think amends are apt? That you have failed, where better healers would not? That in your folly you have wounded me?"

His other hand moved out of sight, beneath her eyeline, disturbing the edges of her dress. She felt its chill pass her thighs, her knees, near brushing her flesh.

"And your only recourse is this. To remind me how you pale next to others."

The hand flashed back and Amalia was wrenched, her spine arched to expose her throat. And exposed it was, to a larger shard of glass which Lukesh had picked from the bowl. The bloodied fragment pressed against her skin, a pinpoint pressure on the jugular. He hissed, "You come to my court, and explain to me why you should die?"

"My Lord, I..." It was the start of something: a plea, a supplication. Amalia searched for words to placate him - some manner to affect to spare his cruelty or win his sympathy. There would be neither. In a fluid motion Lukesh pushed up from the throne and stood with his grip unchanged. His disrobed body was against her's, hardened by the moment.

"Women like you once gave power to gods." It was delivered with the weight of gravest insult. He held her as the hiss echoed, wall to wall in the penthouse, between unmoving soldiers and head-bowed ministers. Silence lingered, then was broken.

WHACK!

Amalia hit the floor several feet from the throne, and slid with the impact. For a moment there was nothing - no feeling - then like a burning rash the truth was told. She had been struck. Her cheek blossomed violent red. Her jaw ached. Her ears rang.

And as she curled to compose herself the Czar slipped on a fresh robe and tossed the shard away.

"A real Kaustiran woman would have grabbed my balls and twisted."

He turned as Amalia's vision whirled. Someone had seized her by the hair and was dragging her backwards over blood-flecked, marble floors.

* * * * * * *​

Word had spread like wildfire. K'Jol had entered the games. At last, the real entertainment would begin.

In every street of Avarath the vortex grew - urchins, traders and nobles gravitating to the coliseum. A canvas ring of merchant stalls, laden elephants and roasting meat would block the way of all spectators before they reached it. The merchants knew best where to cry commerce. Streets not swamped with peddlers were prowled by whores, the finest silks of indigo and umber promising the flesh beneath. Brothels and the bath-houses were full; inns were crammed. And on every corner there was music.

The Burning Czar moved beneath a turban, distinguished only by his bandaged hands. A retinue of two dozen followed, in parallel streets, equally veiled. By this anonymity he mingled with the people and passed into the inner wards.

From these streets a general; from the filth a hero. Who better to ride into the killing fields of Pegulis and Viridos than one who had swallowed the shit of these gutters and thirsted beneath the desert sun?

Within the hour, Lukesh pressed his face to the bars of the Magistrate's Entrance. Of the seventy-six numbered archways of the Grand Coliseum, this alone bore no markings and boasted double guard detail. Recognition was made, and the gates briefly opened to admit the Czar and his retinue. Dusty footfalls took him thence through the shadows of the western sector - that quarter of the Coliseum where shade was perpetual. Lukesh moved with singular purpose, as silent as the assassins who ghosted him. Three flights of stairs, and he was on the podium circle, a terrace fifteen foot in width that commanded imperial view of the arena.

Senators bowed low. Concubines perked up. Aux sat and perched in disciplined rank.

The Czar took his seat.

"Thank you for not waiting."

As his shout echoed back across the Coliseum, it burst once more into motion. Gladiators who had paused mid-swing now battled again with twice the vigour. Lions leashed at the Czar's arrival were sicked again upon their prey. Chariot horses were whipped afresh and the bustling crowds that swarmed the lower seats erupted into thunderous furor.

Fifty men had perished so far. The contestants were thinning out. The general's election was coming.

Lukesh flexed one bandaged hand. "Bring me Nassad. This fighting stirs my appetite."

EYJUFtD.jpg

The wastelands of Kaustir were beautiful. Not many people admired sand, but Nassad did. It was like an ocean on the land, a sea of mysterious creatures lurking below it, and various shrubs to finish the picture. His job required him to be out here, and he enjoyed it. The sun bearing down on you keeping you warm, the smell of fresh air, and the dying... He would find so many people to pick up and throw into his cart, and this trip was no different. He had found three on this trip, which was the usual amount. A dark complected man, a emaciated woman, and rat Anima. He had different races before, but he preferred humans. It was a darker instinct of his. Humans were blood bags, while other races were precious to him. Humans were also easier to cut up in his profession. There was so many tedious things to do with the other races. Make sure you penetrate the scales, cut the body up right or there will be a mess and the list went on. Humans were just easier.

After a couple of days he arrived in Avarath for the games. His slaves that he had acquired were hungry so he fed them what he fed to the horses. Upon his arrival he was summoned by the Czar. Nassad smiled at the opportunity to be able to provide. He rode through the city and to the Colosseum. Once he arrived he took the slaves and put them in chains. The chains were linked by the neck and hands. If they tried to escape, they would face a grim doom. He pulled them up the stairs while yelling slurs at them to keep up. The wills of the slaves were being broken as they moved up each step. Finally before they reached the podium the woman slave began to cry. Nassad stopped the group and brought the woman to him. "Listen whore, if you don't keep your gob shut then you might not get killed today!" The woman looked at him in shock. During the trip there he had only said swear and not whole sentences. Her quivering lips stopped and she stood up straight. Nassad smirked at her and then continued to pull the slaves toward the podium. While he walked he kept his pack of tools close to him, so no one would see the vile contraptions he had invented. The guards let Nassad into the podium with ease, he seemed like man who knew where he was, and so did they. Nassad entered the podium quietly and then put the slaves in a line. "I'm sorry I am late my Czar." Nassad bowed in a low fashion toward the Czar then stood up. With a swift move he pushed each of the slaves down to their knees. "You are his now, and you shall treat him as your master. Understood?" The slaves were quiet at first until kicked the back of one of dark complected man. All of the slaves went down to their hands and knees and spoke. "All hail the Czar!" Nassad smiled for a moment then looked at the Czar. "My Czar, which of these would you like to partake?"

Reactions: Torsty and Asmodeus

Everyone was watching. Everyone.

The guard dragged her outside to the corridor, taking far too much pleasure in her pain. And the nobles - underneath their bowed heads, they sneered and chuckled. It was too painfully similar to the healers back home, who laughed at her naive notion of becoming a general. It wasn't the Czar's rage, the slap, or the insult that began to numb Amalia's brain, but it was the embarrassment.

And now the guard was taking her outside, with Amalia on his shoulder and his hand resting possessively on her ass. He threw her onto ground outside the gate, and dimly she wondered if this meant she wasn't allowed in the court anymore. For a brief moment their eyes met, Amalia's gaze wounded, numb, and fearful, and his gleeful and amused. He took a step towards her.

"Leave me!" she cried shrilly.

He stilled, spat near her feet and turned to leave.

"Not so special now court bitch."

Amalia waited until he neared the gate of the court before rising and bolting towards the bustling city. She needed chaos, needed noise and the words of other people to drown out her sorrow. As she dodged booths and moving carts, her thoughts settled on what her family would think. They would know of her humiliation and the nobles wouldn't let her family forget it. And her family wouldn't let her forget it either, especially her father.

She ducked into an alleyway, the din around her deafening. Amalia curled into a ball dislodging her shawl; her Aux laid by her feet, paws over her eyes. The Czar's words echoed in her mind, and each recitation of his words made Amalia choke on her own tears. Slapped by the all mighty leader. What chances did she have now of becoming general when she was insulted in his own court?

She sat there as the noise around her grew to almost unbearable levels, rocking back and forth on her heels as the tears fell. Then Amalia opened her eyes, saw Matil pawing at her shawl, and bit her lip. Wrapped around her in a different shade and she would be unnoticeable during the games. But what was the point now? The Czar confirmed what the nobles said about him, that he was unpredictable and prone to violence. And he accused of her not being a true Kaustiran woman. It was almost enough to make her forfeit.

Almost.

She stood, fists clenched, and marched to a nearby stall, buying a canary colored sarong and shawl.

Seiyr
[dash=red]
Seiyr did not look at the female at her side. She didn't need to. Her Aux told her everything she needed. Extending it, she was able to glean a little bit from her company. Surprise, a bit uncertain. No fear, much to Seiyr's approval. Curiosity, which was almost always prevalent in those whom she hadn't spoken with before. The engineer knew that she could've obtained all that information simply by taking a glance at the stranger's face, but she also knew through her years in the court of the Czar that impressions mean everything.

Even to a commoner.

"It gives me hope that those in the high chairs do care about Kaustir and its common people, and not just the glory of winning wars or having power. I hope you do not think me too forward for a commoner, but if you placed your bid for General and won, I would be thankful for it. And I'm sure I would not be the only one with the same sentiment."

Seiyr stopped in her tracks, causing the other woman to nearly run into her. She turned to her partner, locking eyes.

"
We are a proud people. Where religion keeps other nations together, loyalty and determination stitch our wounds. The Czar has done more for our people than many care to acknowledge. It's because of those like you that the Czar has to exert such authority. Your lack of loyalty disgusts me."

Thick silence seized the moment, the music and the hollering of the merchants evaporated, leaving the air dry and cracked. Seiyr heaved a long sigh, sloping her shoulders. Unlike her Czar, she was able to show some weakness. It reminded everyone that the Imperial Court were still human- something she all too often forgot.

"
The Desert Sun is the best thing we have right now. Kaustir would never accept a woman as their ruler, and if your goal is to get me into a position to supersede him, consider it a waste of time."

She carefully monitored the other woman's facial expression, gauging the reaction. After a brief pause, the engineer nodded inwardly and spoke lightly, the steel vacant from her voice,
"I don't need to be General to have influence over him."

Seiyr smiled, a sad and haunting smile. Turning around, she continued on her way, hoping the other woman would know well enough to not follow.

<><><><><>
The Imperial High Engineer stared at the intricate design of the Coliseum enviously. The architecture was flawless, it's framework precise and sturdy. She marveled at the amount of pure stone that burdened the building. It was impressive, just as everything in the Empire had to be.

She approached the barred archway. There were guards posted on either side, and no blind spots. Her job would be a bit trickier. Seiyr smirked, recognizing Helm, a guard she often played this game with. Instead of using her authority to demand entrance, the former spy preferred to take less confrontational route. Sneaking past imperial guards seemed like a death sentence for others, but it was just all the more reason she enjoyed it. Touching the wall, she planned on slipping in with the next nobleman, who was just now approaching the guards…

"
Halt!" A spearhead was jabbed into the engineers back just as she was halfway through the gate.

"
Well, looks like somebody is getting better at this. Must not want to face the wrath of the Czar, eh?" the girl gave Helm a look of mock sincerity. The other guard pushed the spear harder, making her wince.

"
Stand down, Dirk. She's free to go," Helm ordered, his deep voice smug with the small victory.

Seiyr bowed graciously, ignoring the confusion from the masses that happened to witness the scene. Helm snorted, closing the gate. She hastily climbed up the stairs. At the top, sunlight poured into the center of the Coliseum, igniting the hellish scene below. From the shadows, Seiyr slipped past most of the Imperial Court, her eyes trained on the Czar.

Extending her Aux, she gently touched the man with it, noting him of her presence. This was a common form of communication between the two, as the Czar was often busy and would not do with a verbal interruption. Seiyr did not stand waiting for the man to acknowledge her. Instead she nodded a greeting to Nassad and took a seat a respectful distance from both men.

Her eyes fell to the arena, watching the blood spill in a battle of pure strength. And despite herself, Seiyr imagined being down there with the best of them.
[/dash]

Reactions: Torsty and unanun

Lut blinked.

And the next thing he knew, he was outside. The seal pressed against his breast, back in the pocket inside his military jacket.

He did it. An act of rebellion, or an act of patriotism, he wasn't so sure. But he had agreed to, in effect, represent the merchants of Avarath in the Czar's games. Lut wandered through the streets in a near stupor, his mind a tangled mess from trying to sort out the consequences of his actions.

A pair of women, one whose face he recognized. Seiyr, a woman whose services he often contracted (not that way, by the Sun!) in his never-ending job to improve the flow of resource in the empire. He was seized by an inexplicable desire to discuss the current events with her, but as he moved forward the edges of their conversation caused him to halt.

The scarab, edged on by his curiosity, fluttered forward onto a nearby post, but upon attempting to use his advent a piercing pain struck him in the head, a tear, a wound, a sharp fire that burned at a point. He collapsed against the nearby wall, slumping downwards.

Something was indeed wrong. He had attempted to defend himself against a sneak attack - but had no memory of it. His mind floated backwards, backwards .. farther .. K'Larr, Bracht, the other -- but K'Larr's voice was friendly, Bracht's soothing, convincing - there would be no problems ...

He cradled his head, ignoring the burns from the sun.

Meanwhile, Seiyr had already departed.

Last edited:

Ssylrath_zps781516eb.jpg

As he was now outside the healers house, the sounds coming from the coliseum were becoming louder and louder. Even civilians who walked by him threw fingers in his direction before whispering among themselves. A grin came upon his face before he flexed his fingers, ending with a punch of his fist into the palm of his hand. Word about him entering the games was spreading like wildfire and he enjoyed that fact. And now it was his time to get into the games and make others shed blood. The Draken turned to look back at the house of Arania before sighing. She would not give him an answer for two days, and he probably did not have that amount of time. For all he knew, the games could end on the same day they started. He departed from the healers area, walking through the streets as he made his way to the coliseum once again.

"I am going to have to settle for the lowly commoner healers... damn it...."

Or maybe he would not have to? To his right, and by the stall was the court healer Amalia, who seemed to be in a rather somber mood. He trudged over to the court healer before tapping her side. His height caused him to look down upon her as if she was lowly in all aspects compared to him.

"Amalia, court healer... I have a favor to ask of you. Assist me in the games and be my healer. Once I become General, I shall gain a large amount of influence and you could be at my side as I rise through the ranks of the Kaustiran army. What do you think of my offer?"

A smile came upon the mischievous Draken's face as U'Sil let out a hiss.

AMALIA

She jumped and clutched the sarong closer to her chest. Matil issued a silent hiss, hid behind Amalia's ankles, then shyly peeked out. The woman gulped as she raised her head to look up at the towering brute that was K'jol, taking a step back not to have a better view of his face, but to place some distance between them.

"I... I wish to enter the games myself K'jol."

She remembered him; how could she not? K'jol was regarded as a fierce warrior and like all warriors, they were bound to end up in the infirmary.

"I'd like to save my strength for my match, i-if you don't mind. Besides, wouldn't you want a healer who can fix your wounds? I'm not..." She paused. "I'm better with restoring energy than healing wounds."

Her head was ducked, voice meek. Amalia slowly hid her sarong and shawl behind her back, but with its bright sunny color the movement was bound to be noticed.

Reactions: 2 people
Tharwa

Two spots of red bloomed on Tharwa's cheeks at Seiyr's high-handed treatment, but she wisely swallowed the vitriol clamoring to be unleashed. Better to leave shamed and in one piece than mouth off and end up blown to bits.

Her thoughts cannot help going over what Seiyr said. Lukesh is the best thing that happened to Kaustir? She doubted that, but then, she grew up hearing only tales of his oppression and excesses that she sometimes wondered if she was weaned to hate their ruler. Could there be more to the man that the sum of Kaustir's rumor mill?

Tharwa was so busy trying to figure out what could inspire that kind of loyalty to a seemingly despicable being that she almost missed Lut's form slumped on the ground. She initially thought he was some random drunk passed out from partaking too much vice in the festivities until she prodded him with her foot. Lut groaned, partially turned over, and that's when she recognized his face - albeit it was a bit singed from the sun and missing the smug smirk he had earlier.

"Well, lady luck seems to favor me today." Tharwa murmured as she looked down on Lut's prone form with a mad grin. Her skin buzzed with expectation, and she imagined the ecstasy of cutting her first scar and plunging her knife into this bastard's heart.

But... no. She wanted him shamed in front of the nation. She wanted to see the look in his eyes when that thing he wanted with all his heart is torn away from his over-reaching little fingers. Thus, despite what her aux and crux so badly wanted to do, she unwrapped her skirt to shield Lut from the sun, surreptitiously plucking a few strands of hair from his head in the process.

"Sir? Are you in need of aid?"
She asked in a feigned concerned tone, drawing weird looks from passersby, which was understandable given that she was standing in public in her knee-length white pantaloons.

Reactions: 2 people

Lut blinked.

And the next thing he knew, he was against the ground.

The pain in his head was something he had felt only a few times in his life - mostly because the first time was enough to steer him away from any further encounters. It was the pain of attempting to push one's Aux into an advent more than once a day. The scarab crawled around drunkenly on the rim of his hat, legs waving pointlessly in the air. Between the creeping burns on his skin and the feeling of a sphere slowly expanding in his head, it was hard to tell which concern needed to be addressed first. But two things eventually won out: one, sweet relief came in the form of shade. Two, he felt someone pluck a few of his hairs.

The first training any soldier in Kaustir receives is to be adaptable. The desert was a fickle master, and only gave a few moments to assess the situation before scouring the flesh to the bone with sandstorms, or freezing the blood in the veins at night. His pupils sharpened, fists clenched, and he pushed himself upright, at least getting his head into the shade. He fixed the woman with a piercing, inquisitive look.

"Must be nice to walk in the sun." Sarcastic.

"Thanks for the shade." The burns on his face were still there, raw, open. He glanced downwards. "And the treat."

"We must head for the games." He moved towards the grand arena, but staggered, forced to move along in the shade. He turned around, the same look in his eyes. The kind of look a guard gave to citizens passing into the court. Or a hawk watching a desert mouse.

"You should follow me." It did not sound too much like a suggestion.

"And tell me what you are planning to do with my hair."

The Czar ignored Nassad as he unchained the slaves. The void aura of Seiyr, his imperial engineer, had drawn his eye down the line of seats. As if an electrical discharge had struck the podium. He waved one bandaged hand to the woman. "The fulminate bomb was well received."

Then through a snake-nest of concubine arms, the Czar came out of his seat. He stepped past Nassad and perused the three slaves presented. A rat Anima, a starved woman and a dark-skinned male. No feast, for certain, yet Nassad was reliable. He did not pluck from the toxic zones nor poison his wares. As a dealer in blood-sacks this made him prosperous. And not dead. Rare things in his line of work.

One circuit of the trio was enough. The Czar snatched the withered arm of the woman and slung her along the podium, where she collapsed at Seiyr's feet. "My thanks," was all that accompanied the gift. Then he eyed the two remaining. An Anima of the sump towns, with snout made white by rooting through landfills; and a man of the Scarab Tribes, skin like ebony from a life in the sand dunes. They each smelled of horse-feed. Their journey had been long.

"I only need one of you."

The pause was heavy. Realization dawned. The man was the first to move, spinning on his knees to grab the rat who, though he struggled, could not exact as deft a grip. For a moment, grunts and snarls. The rat sunk his teeth into the man's shoulder. The grip did not let up. The man brought the rat down on his back and used his thumbs where weapons lacked. The squeal made echo in the podium. The Anima thrashed. The man kept his grip and plunged inch after inch into his enemy's eyes. And when the horrid noise did not abate he lifted up its head and slammed it once, twice, three times into the marble stone.

Silence.

The Czar watched the dark-skinned man extract his thumbs. "What is your name?"

The slave trembled as the mess of the Anima's skull dripped from him. He bowed his head and strained for words. "Defrejail A'Kalsa... of the Salw--"

"Wrong. Your name is Korsch. Do you know how to launder silks?"

The slave looked up, considered lying, then considered being honest. Then settled on something else. "Not yet, Des'Sun."

Lukesh smiled. "Welcome to my staff." Soldiers lifted the body of the Rat Anima and tipped him over the edge of the podium. There were excited shouts from the Hermetic Guild, who had a place of honour in the seats below. They squabbled to claim the ruined body. Some schools of magic still believed that dismembering the corpses of the Czar's victims would grant them powerful spell components.

To this din the Burning Czar returned to his seat. "Come." He waved one hand to the slave, who quickly moved amongst the concubines and knelt at his left side. Lukesh nodded once to Nassad then pulled the slave in. And as his teeth sunk into the dark flesh of his new man-servant, he kept his eyes on Seiyr.

Last edited:

WOOSH

The sound of a quick sword swings cut threw air in the Avarath barracks.

WOOSH

The air in the empty training room was hot and heavy making Takeda sweat as he trained.

"HY!" Takeda sounded off as he made a powerful horizontal slash. Takeda brought his sword back to its starting position and took a deep breath, sheathing the sword as he breathed out. He grabbed a cloth and wiped the sweat off his face "The Czar has called for a new general to be picked from the commoners.... a wise choice." Takeda cleaned himself up, stepped out of the barracks, and began walking towards the coliseum. Shibu called out from the sky and landed on Takeda's shoulder "Hello my friend what is the word today?" he took out a small piece of dried lizard meat from his pocket and fed it to Shibu. The swordsmen stopped as he saw a women tossed from the Czar's penthouse "A whore perhaps? No the Czar would never keep such company." Not concerning himself much with the women he continued on to the coliseum. Upon his arrival Takeda signed himself up for the games "A general should be one with a good military background." he said calmly to Shibu. He then sat on a bench in the lobby pulled out a small book and started reading. He waited for his match to be called.

"DESERT SUN! I GIVE YOU ALL!"

"JOFOLIA, THE TREE OF SANDS, WILL BURN YOUR NAME INTO THE EARTH!"

The Forest Kin cast aside an urn of water, spilling it across the blood-stained sands. Having drank deep, he strode towards the menials and plunged his hand into a leather bag.

A name was plucked out upon a scrap of parchment. He read. He roared.

Stepping over the strewn armour and severed limbs of those who had come before, the Gladiator Jofolia bellowed through the stadium.

"TAKEDA SHINGEN OF THE IMPERIAL GUARD! YOUR DAY TO DIE HAS COME. FACE ME. GIVE YOUR BLOOD TO THE TREE OF SANDS!"

He slammed his gauntlet claw against his shield, a rhythmic challenge echoed by the clapping furor of the crowd.

• Love
Reactions: IceChateau777
His opponent's rawer rang through the entire coliseum "Ah sounds like round one is about to begin. Shibu I suggest you find a good seat." Takeda closed his book as Shibu flew off of his shoulder and out an open window. Takeda made his way to the arena where the cheers of the viewers washed over him like a wave. Takeda looked at his opponent, bowed out of respect, and began to analyze him. He drew one of his swords "My the best warrior win my friend and no hard feelings afterward!" he called out to Jofolia allowing him the first move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.