Iwaku's Medical Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

heliacalRebirth

Original poster
We are all diverse people, each with our own strengths and weaknesses. I've discovered that many role-players had given their character a defect, scar or some other shortcoming that they have to overcome. As common as these things are in stories, what about real life?

Do you have any medical conditions?

Note that this thread is to help people explain and understand each other's medical conditions. Insults and jibes will not be tolerated. This could be a touchy subject for some people; you don't have to post if you don't want to :)

I have orthostatic hypotension. Have you ever stood up really quickly, only to have your vision turn black along with a bout of dizziness that lasted maybe up to a minute? Yeah, that's what I have. Except mine is a bit more severe… as in I may not regain my vision for anywhere between 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

I have really low blood pressure, which is super weird. Doctors don't know why my blood pressure is so low but they tell me not to worry about it. Orthostatic hypotension is not a life threatening condition in itself, but if my "black outs" continue to get longer and longer, that's just a teeny bit troublesome. The condition occurs when you sit or stand up, and the blood from the rest of your body cannot travel fast enough to your brain. In order for me to not go temporarily blind, I have to go from a laying position to an elbow position, to a sitting position, then finally I can stand. It's pretty annoying.

I've also been "unofficially" diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Ladies: imagine PMS… but every day of the month. That, my friends, is BPD. It is a very panic and anxiety based disorder, often accompanied with a lot of unnecessary stress and the occasional panic attack. It makes me one very moody individual. Luckily, because I am under the age of 18 I cannot be officially diagnosed with it. My psychologist said that because I have a less developed case, there is a good possibility that I can reverse all the craziness if I put in the effort o.O

Oh, I have a scar on my foot from when I was about three. I stepped on the lid of a can, and it cut so deep that I couldn't even feel it. Bleh… that was nasty >.<

EDIT: I also am nearsighted with an astigmatism, so my eyeballs just keep getting shittier. Insomnia… who hadn't had this for at least part of their life?

I have inflamed tendons in my left hand due to overuse since I play viola… a lot. This makes one of the arteries in the meaty part of my palm under the thumb to stick out and pulse. It was terrifying at first but now I don't even care. I gave up on trying to figure out why my body does all these stupid things lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have what is called fibrocystic breast condition, or FCC. At first, it had been mistaken for breast cancer because the lump were able to be felt through the skin but further tests had proven elsewise. It's not fatal and the lumps aren't dangerous, it's merely painful due to certain factors: premenstrual, caffeine, among other things.

I also have been diagnosed with PTSD.

Near sighted right eye, Far sighted left eye. Makes for interesting vision

Nerve damage in right hand from botched surgery (which wasn't really needed in the first place)

Chronic migraines, which I still don't know what they're caused by.

Depression (Not diagnosed, but yeah, its there.)

Social Anxiety Disorder

Oh, and Oral Fixation, which is definitely not as fun as it sounds. Really, it means that I am constantly chewing, or have the need to be chewing/biting. Gum works for a while, but eventually it begin to hurt my jaw o.e Then I move on to bits of metal and plastic. Pop tabs are a particular favourite. If I don't have anything to bite, or if I've been told to stop, I find myself chewing on the insides of my lips and cheeks. So I have a bit of damage to my teeth and quite a few cuts in my mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCD
I like to call this the perfection disease because even though I obsess I have over the years learned to obsess more over the things I enjoy doing and much less what people will think. Through art therapy I was taught to use my art as a means of controlling these compulsive urges but dishes, sweeping, and vacuum is done daily until I can't see a spec of anything. The worst part is if something is not done to my standard I become hard on myself and tend to punish myself with overbearing thoughts of forever coming up short.

--------------

I also have nerve damage in my shoulder where my neck and shoulder blade meet from painting and drawing so much. Every now and again my fingers will tingle this happened because I over used my arm in the same position for years and hours at a time without taking breaks or stretching. I can't stress the importance to get up and walk away for breaks 8D so I'm also neurotic but I'm not sure this counts as a medical condition.

--------------

And severe anemia which landed me in the hospital borderline diagnosing me with Menorrhagia and Hemophilia, also known as Von Willebrand disease. My body has an iron deficiency and my blood doesn't clot they way it's supposed too. It was inherited from my mothers side and sometimes the smallest cut will bleed for much too long, it can be fatal if not looked after but with iron supplements and staying healthy it is controllable and less fatal with the more iron intake to help the blood clot correctly. This is particularly dangerous for woman because we naturally bleed monthly and that's how I wound up in the hospital and diagnosed I've known for just under a year. My mother passes out at work from this sme condition about a year a four months ago.

I don't take any meds for anything , I take iron supplements and eat a shit ton of greens and iron rich nuts. I also tend to crave rare steak and cheeseburgers. With regular physical excersize, and proper meals of protein and iron rich foods the pain from the nerve damage is easily managed and my severe anemia is significantly less of a risk.

So far so good :)

I have never been diagnosed for anything by a medical professional! Besides being a carrier for Hemophilia. O_O I have some of the problems Fijo described, but not anywhere as severe. I am super prone to passing out during that week and have done so on several occasions. e__e But as long as I make sure to eat enough good foods I am okay.

I am at high risk for Diabetes. At this age, all the ladies in my family were already showing severe signs. I have a few myself, so I have been taking care to cut my sugar intake back and eat better foods when I need to so I dun get LOW bloodsugar. It's a struggle because brownies and cheeseburgers are fucking delicious. >:[

I have problems with depression but I am pretty sure at this point that it's all 99% past experience and outward factors, and not a physical or chemical imbalance. I'm able to manage it really well when I take away the triggers. >>

I used to have SEVERE problems with migraines, but I have since found where most of my migraine triggers are and now I'll only get one ever so often when I do something stupid! (IE, didnt drink enough water, get super hot, neglect to eat enough, not sleep, etc etc)

Acid reflux, chronic nausea, chronic depression, migraines, social anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, eczema, astigmatism in my right eye, dormant asthma, perennial allergic rhinitis, dream anxiety disorder, paranoia, obsessive compulsive disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder.

If anyone needs to talk, exchange advice, whatever... I'm open to doing so. It helps a lot to know someone with struggles like yours. :)

I have orthostatic hypotension. Have you ever stood up really quickly, only to have your vision turn black along with a bout of dizziness that lasted maybe up to a minute? Yeah, that's what I have. Except mine is a bit more severe… as in I may not regain my vision for anywhere between 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

I have really low blood pressure, which is super weird. Doctors don't know why my blood pressure is so low but they tell me not to worry about it. Orthostatic hypotension is not a life threatening condition in itself, but if my "black outs" continue to get longer and longer, that's just a teeny bit troublesome. The condition occurs when you sit or stand up, and the blood from the rest of your body cannot travel fast enough to your brain. In order for me to not go temporarily blind, I have to go from a laying position to an elbow position, to a sitting position, then finally I can stand. It's pretty annoying.

Same here! Every woman in my mother's family has low blood pressure, actually. My granny's was 60/40 on Easter; mine was 90/60. Even my cousin, who is four hundred pounds, has trouble breaking 110/70. We all faint easily, have orthostatic hypertension, and our blood barely oozes out when we get it drawn. Our extremities get very, very cold and don't warm up easily (my forehead once read at 73 degrees when I had been inside for over an hour; after putting a hat on I registered a 99.9 degree fever) and some days we can barely get up without blacking out.
Not a single one of us can get a diagnosis that isn't dehydration or "that time of the month". It's infuriating.

Aside from that I had a cyst on my left wrist and it still has a much smaller range of motion than my right. And a third nipple, but that doesn't do anything.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I have Asperger Syndrome and anemia (though I hate my pills).

When I was six years old, I was misdiagnosed for ADHD, and I was forced to take Concerta, and they kept upping the dosage until the maximum amount available.

By the time I was nine, I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. I have difficulties talking to others and saying what I mean. Other times, my humor and logic are misunderstood. I tend to make role plays that go over the top and it shouldn't be. Sometimes, my brain can EASILY misinterpret things and go DOWN SOUTH.

I also pick my face, and I have stimulant induced insomnia (from the ADHD medication). I find it harder to focus on things, if at all. I also have acute OCD (has a tendency to make everything perfect, and dazzling)

And before i go take a shower, that's all I got.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli
Physically, I have really weak joints (consequence of injuring them too much), as well as breathing issues (can't run more than a 100 meters before I can't breathe), and constantly bruised ribs from always wearing a binding shirt (yay being trans -_-)

Mentally, I'm diagnosed with extremely severe depression, anorexia, and gender dysphoria. Most days I can barely getout of bed, even though I take every antidepressent under the sun. I also have severe necrophobia, meaning I literally can't be around dead or dying things without panicking and having nightmares for weeks. Social anxiety is another thing on my laundry list of disorders. I can't talk to people without feeling ready to vomit. These last two disorders makes my role as an assistant to a biology/anatomy teacher who does frequent dissections /really/ fun (translation: I can't get through a week of school without having at least three panic attacks). It's undiagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have dyscalculia, because I literally can't do anything relating to numbers. And on top of all this, I have masochistic personality disorder, meaning that, subconsciously, I purposefully put myself into situations that make me completely miserable.

Yeah, my life can be buckets of fun /sarcasm. If anyone has similar disorders (or if you're just curious) and wants to talk to me about them, feel free to send me a pm.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fijoli
Reactions: IceChateau777
I think we should get back to the topic of "Medical Conditions" before this goes out of hand.

And back on that topic, I have a grandmother with Alzheimer's, dementia, and narcolepsy. It's been pretty hard dealing with my grandmother. My mom has degenerative disc disease...

Oh, I.. I didn't think to count that. I have one too!

We're 1/50 females and 1/18 males. There are more of us. Maybe even in this very thread. :o

l

I actually experience this. OFTEN. Should I have it checked out? Im'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.