Iwaku World - Porg's Meadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Of course," The Neake said, and the door behind him opened. "Welcome to the Vault of Awful Inventions. Touch nothing." It wasn't a threat, or an order, just an rule that had to be obeyed. He shuffled into the room and stood like a sentry at the door, watching his visitors carefully. Only one of them belonged there. It was strange allowing others in.

For a brief moment he let his eyes glance around the dusty storage space that was the downstairs Vault. Emblems of times long gone were hanging crookedly off the stoney walls, and in the cabinets and drawers lining the room there were hundreds of devices - some large, some small. A pineapple shaped fridge generator from an eccentric professor back in the 1500s; an octagonal wheel used for summoning elemental spirits from a flock of dark, evil Kiamites; a phoenix's brazier of eternal life which was tainted by Nexus energy…all things that had been sent to him by the other gods.

Things that just didn't belong anywhere else.

"Please," he said to Gary, who's arm was reaching out to grab the pineapple generator, an action that drew the Neake's attention right away. "Do not touch."

[The Neake shows Jack, Norman and Gary around the Vault of Awful Inventions.]

Norman placed a hand on Gary's shoulder and gently ushered him back out of the room "I'm terribly sorry, he gets like this" Gary was looking dejeted as he was walked out "B-but that toaster looked like a pineapple!! A pineapple" he whined.

Jack walked slowly out after the both of them, still caught in thought and not really concentrating on the tour. It almost felt like something important was happening, but he put this down to pessimism, the idea that he couldn't do anything meant he'd probably imagine things to feel down about, he knew this.

"So where next?" Norman said to The Neake, aware of Jack's feelings but feeling the best thing to do was to keep going with the tour, he knew too well that Jack liked to wallow and wasn't overly responsive to attempts to cheer him up.

[The tour continues and Jack feels down.]

The Neake moved out into the hallway and thought carefully about taking them into the Room of Bad Ideas, but then thought better of it. Seeing Gary's response to the Vault, he doubted anything good would come of exposing him that room as well. At the end of the dark corridor was a flight of stairs, crumbling and unsafe.

As they approached it, The Neake waved an arm and the temple moved the rock to form a much more stable-looking staircase. He hadn't used the stairs in so long, he'd forgotten all about them - no wonder they were in such a state.

Up the stairs, and endless maze of doors and hallways awaited his little tour group. At this point, he turned to them.

"It would take an age to show you it all," The Neake told them slowly, "So I will not. There are another two floors yet to go, you see... and you all no doubt have better things to do with your time..." The disappointed look on Gary's face compelled him to add, "I will leave most of the temple open to you to explore as you will. The only rules of this place are: do not try to open things that are locked, and do not go to the forth floor."

A thud came from a room to the right of them.

The Neake ordered them to stay where they were and went to investigate. The door led to the Skeleton Closet - one of the biggest rooms in the temple. In it were the skeletal remains of all the creatures and species that were never meant to exist. There was another Skeleton Closet on the floor above for the overspill.

Nothing looked out of the ordinary. On the many lines of rails hung skeletons of all shapes and sizes neatly on their coathangers.

But something had made a noise.

Moving down one of the aisles, he saw one of them had fallen off the hanger - a large skeleton, with a peculiar reptilian skull. With a sigh, he hung it back up. It must have come lose when the temple moved and just slid off. He hoped the movement hadn't cause anything else to come out of place.

After doing a quick check of everywhere else - he noted that the back end of the room had vanished and now revealed someone's bedroom (presumably from the cottage the temple was now attached to) - but saw nothing wrong.

Reuniting with them in the hallway, The Neake gestured for them to go back down the stairs.

"The temple is still settling in to its new location, it seems. Let us return to your cottage."

[The Neake realises just how big the temple is, and cuts the tour short.]

Sighing a little but rather glad to be able to go sit down again Jack turned to head back to the lounge. He felt bad that he'd not shown as much interest as he felt he should or even as much as he normally would, but then again, he felt bad for many other reasons as well.

Norman ushered Gary to go with him and turned to the Neake. "May I explore the temple then?" He asked, receiving a nod from The Neake. "Do not fear I shall not trespass in any of the off limits areas." He said before bowing and heading off further into the temple.

"Hey Jack you ok dude?" Gary asked while bouncing around him. "I'm fine Gary.. I'm fine" Jack replied as they climbed the stairs into the lounge.

From inside the lounge, there was a very strange noise. Somewhere between a piercing wail and a hiccup, it was as strange as it was unexpected.

The Neake ambled onward, to see Obskeree slumped in the corner of a chair, crying. The oddity didn't stop there - she had wings. Tiny, blue, slightly translucent wings with purple spots in the shape of a butterfly's, crumpled by her sides.

The Neake hurried to her, as much as he could with his awkward frame.

"What is this?" he asked. "You cannot feel sadness."

"I don't know," she managed between sobs, her wings twitching. "I woke up and I... I... all I can think of is my Angel, Mr Neake -" She broke off into another screeching cry. "I can't - I just don't understand..."

He patted her head with his finger, and looked up at the others. They didn't see the significance of the event, so he explained for them as simply as he can, "Fairies of our world cannot feel sadness. That she is crying is... unheard of. Not to mention her wings returning. Dear Fairy," he addressed her, "May I feel your soul? I may be able to establish a cause." She nodded, unable to agree verbally through her choked tears.

With a wave of the third arm, The Neake swept it through her and nodded in understanding. Jack recognised the maneuvere as what The Neake had done to his soul when he first saw him.

"The magic source she attuned with was the Cycle," The Neake said. "It balanced her - Fairies and Angels are unbalanced beings of pure light, which protected her from such negative feelings. I imagine the sudden balance has stripped her of this aspect. And, apparently, respawned her lost wings." He moved back from her, giving her space.

"Wait," she piped up, trying desperately to calm herself, "D-Does that mean I'm not a Fairy any more?"

"I cannot say what constitutes a Fairy in this world," The Neake replied, before turning to the others once more for enlightenment.

[Obskeree attunes herself to the Cycle and is suddenly able to feel negative emotion. The Neake tries to help, but only manages to raise the question of whether she is truly a fairy any more.]

Gary backed off as the Neake looked round, smart enough to know that this was not a situation he'd be any good at. He lightly pushed Jack in the small of his back as he moved away.

Jack moved forwards an inch or two at the push, breathing in, really not very sure what to say. "U-uhm.. I think.. I think that here in Iwaku you're really whatever you think you are.. uhm.. you still look like a fairy to me.." He said, the hurried words punctuated with the pauses giving away that he wasn't sure if what he was saying was the right thing.

He looked back around to the other two, hoping to get a glimmer that he was doing the right thing. Gary just shrugged, which produced a small sigh from Jack, his shoulders sagging.

"Hey Obskeree… as far as I know.. you're a fairy. You look like a fairy, you're the size of a fairy. From what I've seen you act like a fairy. In Iwaku whatever people think of you is often what you are… I can't see any reason why you aren't a fairy."

-----

Norman roamed the temple, coming across one of the cut off walls. Glancing into what had once been their upstairs bathroom, he noticed a small puddle of water in the floor where one of the pipes had been disconnected.

The puddle seemed to have ripples in it, pulsing out from the center every couple of seconds.

Norman frowned, and stepping into the bathroom made his way towards the lounge.

[Jack tries to reassure Obskeree. Norman has a jurassic park moment with a puddle and some ripples. Something is coming.]

Jack's words seemed to calm Obskeree somewhat, her cries subsiding into quiet, shuddering sobs.

"It hurts," she explained. "It's this... type of pain... I'm so sorry," she sniffed, rubbing her eyes dry. "I've never felt it before and it's..."

The Neake reached out and touched her cheek with his long, gnarled finger in a reassuring, soothing manner. "No apology is needed, small one. It is understandable."

She smiled slightly at the touch, and hugged the finger with her spindly blue arms. "At least I'm still a Fairy... sort of. But, Mr Neake..." she trailed off, and looked at the hunched creature, eager to turn the focus away from herself - eager to take her mind off the memory that was causing her the agony. "If this Cycle made me balanced, what did it do to you? You still look the same." She peered up and down at him. "Except for the feet; they're new." With one final sniff, Obskeree stood up on the seat, and took a deep breath. Her eyes still betrayed her sadness, however.

The Neake played along with her change in subject. "I am no god here, though I seem to still exert certain powers, such as my influence over this one," he gestured to Jack, "and my temple. If I have retained anything else, I am not aware of it." He wiggled his clawed toes, smiling lopsidedly at the novel action. "I must say I am enjoying the freedom. I did so tire of my old situation."

Obskeree calms down, and the Neake enjoys having feet again.

Jack sighed a little, glad that he seemed to help, though the small victory was lost a little in the worries of his own. He walked back to the kitchen and flicked the switch on the kettle. He was on autopilot, getting a cup from the table where Obskeree had left them and getting the sugar pot and milk out of the cupboard and fridge and setting them next to the cup as he waited for the water to boil.

Across the room, Norman entered from the hallway. "We may have a problem." He said calmly, but loud enough for the group to hear. Jack looked around, a glint of fear in his eye. "Something big appears to be coming towards the meadow" As this was said the window began to vibrate and through it they could all see a large beam of light, which left in it's wake nothing but scorched ground and the burning stubs of trees.

Jack whimpered a little and fell back, clutching at the worktop to stop himself falling over.

[An elder is attacking the meadow]

The Neake walked through - always taking his time - to see what was going on. Obskeree sat on his shoulder, still weepy-eyed but no longer shedding unstoppable tears.

"This is... an attack," The Neake realised, looking at the devastation the beam left behind. He looked at the fairy and at Jack, "Get into my temple, it will protect you as I protect it."

She shook her head, flying off to look out the window too, golden eyes widening in fear as she took in the destruction. "N-No, Mr Neake!" she exclaimed, "I'm coming with you; you need protecting too!"

"As you will." The Neake turned to the three residents of the cottage as he shuffled slowly to the door. "Excuse me, but I must not let it destroy my temple." With that, he moved outside, calm as ever. Obskeree followed, albeit apprehensively.

The attacking monstrosity was huge, like a giant stone spider - with two few legs and a more spherical body. It moved onward, towards the temple-cottage complex.

"What is it..?" Obskeree wondered, a touch of awe in her trembling voice. As she spoke, she hurriedly pulled a small yellow and purple puppet from her shoulder bag, quickly attaching the strings.

"It is an immediate threat," The Neake replied, straightening up his previously hunched spine and unfurling his six rotting wings to their full span, bracing himself for battle. "That is all I need to know."

[The Neake hurries - sort of - outside to defend his temple. Obskeree follows him despite her fear.]

"W-wait! don't go out you'll get hurt!" Jack shouted as the Neake and Obskeree left the cottage to face the monster. He was breathing heavily, an aura of fear emanating from him.

Gary ran past, but skidded to a halt and turned to face the younger man as he shouted. "Hey! What's up with you!?" he asked, a perplexed look on his face.

"As much as I hate to, I must agree with Gareth. You are acting rather out of character Jack." Norman added, still standing in the entrance to the room.

"Wh-what do you mean?" Jack asked, he'd always been like this hadn't he? Nothing had changed just his knowledge of the situation.

"Usually you'd be the first out there! Making sure noone else got hurt! now you're just… Argh fuck it!" Gary then turned and ran out the door, aware that the elder wasn't just idly standing by out there.

"Do what you will Jack, I'm sure you'll make the correct choice." Norman turned to leave as well leaving Jack alone in the house.

-----

Outside the Elder was pulling no punches. The Large laser appeared to be charging, but as Gary left the house the creature launched a leg at the Neake who, with some effort caught it. Shouting loudly, Gary leapt across to the trees, the Elder letting a great beam of light off at him.

Gary's form shattered before the beam impacted and a faint green light flew upwards before materialising into the man who bought his soulblade down on the creature in a braver. The blow left a large gouge in the stone but did not appear to phase the creature.

With a grunt the Neake lifted it's leg and heaved it away, attempting to throw the creature off balance. The stone monster stumbled backwards a few meters but reasserted itself and faced it's opponent's with it's one eye as Norman exited the building.

[Jack seems out of character, trying to convince people not to go out and fight the elder. Outside Norman and Gary begin to fight]

The Neake snarled at the beast, realising it would require effort to defeat it. He paid no heed to Gary's demise and reappearance - Gary was not his. As long as Jack and the Temple survived this, the Neake would consider it a success. If Obskeree also lived, he would not be displeased.

As he flapped the six mangy wings, several feathers fell out, and he rose up to meet it eye-to-eye. It was charging another beam, aimed at Gary again but this time the temple stood behind him and would inevitably be hit in the blast. The Neake charged with all his enormous strength at the spidery foe just below the eye to barrel it over - the beam discharged into the sky.

Obskeree was waiting in some non-destroyed trees for a moment like this, puppet strings wrapped around her. With a battle-cry loud for her tiny frame, she threw the strings away from her, using her weak telekinetic powers to tangle the wires around its legs, hindering its ability to right itself - a problem not easily solved anyway thanks to its spherical body.

The Neake took this opportunity to advance and take out the eye. Using his two left arms for added force, he punched down, cracking the stone.

[Obskeree and the Neake manage to knock the monster over.]

"Hooo yeah! nice one!!!" Gary called, cheering a bit as the Neake and Obskeree showed their somewhat surprising battle capabilities. There was however a horrible twanging as the great creature began to fight against the strings holding it.

---

Inside, Jack stood alone in the living room, he could hear the sounds of the battle going on outside. He was playing the conversation he'd just had over and over in his head. He'd always been like this hadn't he?

It wasn't just that he'd changed, he was just better informed of his situation now.. right? He heard another beam being let off and he flinched a little remembering the fight on the train. Images flashed through his mind, and they settled on the coupling he had broken.

He'd been written out then too hadn't he? And he'd still… Outside he heard a loud squeal from Obskeree which broke his concentration. He looked to the front door and then down to his feet, his breathing panicked and ragged. "Fuck." He said to himself as he clenched his fist and ran upstairs.

---

Outside the Elder had broken free of the strings and had launched one of its legs at The Neake in an attempt to knock him off. The Neake had caught it, but was struggling to hold onto the creature as well as holding the leg mid strike.

A faint silver light floated past the Neake and Norman materialised by the leg joint, his SoulBlade appearing before it was moved in a swift precise motion, the joint shattering and the leg falling to the ground with a loud crash. Gary rushed up to the other side of the Stone Spider, his SoulBlade slicing through another of it's legs, leaving it balancing on two and failing.

"Neake! Move!" called a voice. The Neake recognised it as one of his charges and immediately obliged, dropping off the Elder and heavily impacting the ground as Jack came through one of the windows on the second floor of the cottage. His SoulBlade materialising in his hand as he flew towards the monster.

The Elder charged a beam but before it could get it off Jack had thrust the blade into it's eye. The creature stumbled and sparks and jolts of electricity sparked around the now exacerbated wound. Jack grunted and wrenched the weapon upwards, cleaving through the top of the stone beast.

The Elder fell heavily to the ground crushing a small patch of earthy ground which had housed a small rose garden. Norman groaned quietly to himself. Jack panted and fell back to sit down. "Hey Neake.. did you shove your hands into it's eye? That's really quite impressive.. what?" The Neake was giving Jack a perplexed look. "What?" Jack asked.. concerned.

[The group take down the Elder and Jack decides to fight.]

The Neake, hunched once more with his wings folded in, regarded Jack with an impressed stare. "How unexpected. But I understand," was all he said. Any explanation of the statement was interrupted by Obskeree rushing up looking rather bothered about something.

"It trapped Slesh! Mr Neake, get him!" she begged, pointing to the remains of the stone beast. At the end of the wires still tangled in its legs, an arm of the puppet she had removed from her bag at the start of the fight stuck out. "He's going to be all smooshed. I hope his foot-bells aren't crushed..."

The Neake shuffled over to lift the body and retrieve the puppet who - thankfully - only looked a little worse for wear. Obskeree snatched it and hugged it close to her, busying herself with righting all his strings while the Neake moved slowly back to Jack, Norman and Gary, who were all still looking expectantly for him to continue his previous statement.

"For a moment, Jack, you were not mine," he explained. "You belonged. Briefly." He folded two of his arms and looked into the distance wistfully. "I have reason, but I will keep it to myself. There is a possibility I am mistaken... we shall have to see if it happens again for me to be sure."

Obskeree flew up to them shakily, tentatively trying out her wings instead of relying on her telekenisis to support her. "Hey, why do you all look so serious? We felled the mighty beast! Celebrations must ensue!" she cried emphatically with a smile. "It's just the way of things~ Isn't that right, Mr Neake? Mr Jack?"

[The Neake reveals that Jack's nature changed for a moment, and Obskeree changes the topic.]

Jack sat for a second, his brow furrowed in thought. "S-so wait.. wait wait wait wait wait!! Yes!! I can do things!?! I can force my way into the cycle right!?!" He leapt to his feet, a grin on his face and turning to the fairy he snapped his fingers "Damn right it's celebration time!" he said ecstatically.

"Norman! Gary! let's get something on, we wont stay long I think it's time we went to-" Jack paused at this, staring at the puppet the small girl was holding "Uhm.. what's up with that puppet?" he squeaked.

"That's just Slesh" Obskeree replied happily.

"He's uh.. kinda.. uh.. nevermind…" Jack tore his gaze away from the marionette and turn to the house. "I'm gonna get changed, we're going to the ShapeShifter guild soon guys!"

[Jack is really excited that he can be part of the cycle, and proclaims that they are going to go to the ShapeShifter Guild.]

"Shapeshifters?" Obskeree uttered thoughtfully. "I wonder if they are like those in our world."

The Neake looked at the door Jack had left through, not looking at her as he spoke. "Wondering is pointless when we will know the answer soon enough." His mind was occupied with thoughts of what his fluxuating control over Jack meant.

Obskeree huffed and folded her arms. "Oh, Mr Neake, sometimes you take all the fun out of things!" She turned to Norman and Gary, and pulled her puppet Slesh out, presenting him to them. Slesh was a yellow and purple puppet, scruffy, and with the most unnerving smile and blank stare made of buttons. "How about a show while we wait? It's been a while since I've performed~"

"She was a puppeteer," The Neake explained to them, "Back in our world."

"Now, now, Mr Neake!" she said with a smile, "I was the puppet master!" Without waiting for them to agree to a show she began sending Slesh into a spinning, elaborate dance, showing her skill in the the way she executed complex movement in the puppet with the most microscopic twitches of her wrist. "If I had another puppet with me I could do one of my stories for you!"

"I do not believe we would have time anyway," The Neake told her. "Here comes Jack."

[Obskeree wastes time showing off while they wait for Jack to change.]

Jack came walking out of the cottage, his attire now quite different. "Sorry about that guys" he said as he wandered over. Instead of the baggy cargo pants he wore he now had blue jeans, the lower leg had thick leather patches sewn on though, which broke up the slightly neat look the trousers would otherwise have had. He now wore a different t-shirt. Black with a symbol not unlike a Yin-Yang on the chest, though the design was a little more rigid, resembling 2 P's. The big leather aviator jacket had been discarded for a waistcoat, which was adorned with copper and gold shield designs and intertwining floral vines, as all these things always seem to have. His big hiking boots had been replaced with some light sneakers, though they also had some large leather pads covering the majority of the softer fabric.

"Whadda we think?" Jack asked jovially lifting his arms in a slightly showy gesture, the open waistcoat flapping a little in the wind. "Want to look good for the party ey?" he smiled. "It's a bit of a trek but a couple of hours through the forest eastbound and we'll be there, sound ok guys?"

"We shall stay here and guard the temple and the cottage, don't you worry about them" Norman added, noticing the Neake appeared a little worried about the building. "I do not think they will be actively seeking us out so we should be fine.

"Ok then! lets go!" Jack said, and without waiting for a reply headed off into the forest "Gary! Norman! see you guys later!"

[Jack has new clothes and has run off for the SS guild.]

Obskeree immediately followed after Jack, slowly getting used to her wings again.

"You look great~" she enthused as she caught up to him. "Very shiny - I like the gold~"

The Neake, meanwhile, hesitated with Norman and Gary. He was torn. He wanted to protect Jack; the mortal may not always be his, but while he was the Neake wanted to ensure his safety. On the other hand... his temple.

He had never been separated from it for long. Once, perhaps, before Annjia's Curse led him to be trapped there, but that was so long ago he could not remember it well enough to feel anything for that time. As far as he was concerned the temple was his home, part of him. It was akin to leaving a wing behind.

But he couldn't take the temple with him - it was not impossible for him to move it, but it was highly impractical.

Closing his four eyes, he realised it was an obvious choice.

The temple would be there when he got back.

Bidding Norman and Gary a monotone farewell, he lumbered off in pursuit of Obskeree and Jack.

[Obskeree is eager to get going, while The Neake takes his time saying goodbye to his temple.]

[Continued in SS guild]

Status
Not open for further replies.