5. Advanced
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror
How do you translate the various Iwaku ratings?

We had a thread like this last year, where everyone defined what the different ratings meant according to themselves. I thought it was pretty fun and enlightening in a way, so here's another thread!

Here they are below!
  • Love
  • Thank
  • Useful
  • Bucket of Rainbows
  • Go Home, You're Drunk
  • You Get a Cookie
  • You need a hug
  • Nice Execution!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Vars and Kitti
Like - Good, positive, acknowledgement
Love - Oh my gods yes
Thank - Thank you!
Useful - What it says on the tin
Bucket of Rainbows - Yay! Whee! This made me happy, was positive, etc.
Go Home, You're Drunk - You're being super silly right now
You Get a Cookie - Good job, good effort, etc,
You Need a Hug - I don't use it sarcastically so that everyone knows to trust my hugs when I give them! >:[
Nice Execution - Good joke, pun, solid writing, etc.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Like | In RP >> Good post. Not earth shattering - but entertaining. Anywhere else >> General 'like' when I have nothing else to add.
Love | In RP >> This post made my soul feel good - moved me. Anywhere else >> Basically 'strongly agree'
Thank | Essentially what it sounds like - grateful for help or information, or a reply XD
Useful | I generally use this in the help thread, or when I learn something I didn't know.
Bucket of Rainbows | Fun post... something that just made me smile.
Go Home, You're Drunk | I usually only use this when someone is being silly, to be silly back. Or if their post was just cray cray!
You Get a Cookie | This is like... my "hug" - but not in a consoling direction.
You need a hug | This is a consoling hug.
Nice Execution! | This I use when I really like a post or it was just darn well written!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Like - Like / "Same" / "Me too" / Thank you for posting in my thread / I have read your post but I have nothing to respond
Love - I love this post / I agree with absolutely everything you said
Thank - thank you for posting this
Useful - this post has useful information
Bucket of Rainbows - ?????????????
Go Home, You're Drunk - You are an idiot and should not be posting
You Get a Cookie - ????????????
You need a hug - *hugs you*
Nice Execution! - This was written really well / DAMN BUUUUUURN (the person who gets that rating has thoroughly burned the other person and our next action should be to provide locations of the nearest burn wards)

EDIT @Greenie 's rating
interesting_reaction_nightmare_before_christmas.gif

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Joan and Greenie
Like - Good post or general agreement or acknowledgement that I have seen the post. Also, in Security, non-verbal approval of drafts of messages to be sent out.
Love - Great post.
Thank - Thanks for making this post, often used for posts that may be useful to others but which were not useful for me.
Useful - This post was useful for some reason.
Bucket of Rainbows - General silliness and positive vibes, also for anything romance or homosexuality related.
Go Home, You're Drunk - You're being silly and should continue, or you're being an idiot and you should stop.
You Get a Cookie - "That's nice, dear" in a sarcastic tone, or generic acknowledgment.
You need a hug - Generic sympathy or sarcastic usage for people being angsty.
Nice Execution! - Approval for jokes or puns that amuse me, or for serious posts that are either independently well-made or do a great job of countering the points of another person's post.

For the ones that have a nice usage and a snarky usage for me, it's all about the context. 8D

• Bucket of Rainbows
Go Home, You're Drunk - You're being silly and should continue, or you're being an idiot and you should stop.
I feel that one button having the possibility to mean 2 directly opposite things could be problematic. =[

I feel that one button having the possibility to mean 2 directly opposite things could be problematic. =[
That's the beauty of personal interpretation. It means two things to me, but to others it's singular in meaning.

That's the beauty of personal interpretation. It means two things to me, but to others it's singular in meaning.
Seems like a recipe for hurt feelings over miscommunication to me. I know context is important, but sometimes you really just can't tell, especially over the internet.

Seems like a recipe for hurt feelings over miscommunication to me. I know context is important, but sometimes you really just can't tell, especially over the internet.
It happens. Miscommunication can happen via text as well. The only way to avoid the potential for hurt feelings from miscommunication is to avoid all communication. :P

^ This is one of the reason's I made the thread, lol. Many times people may take a rating negatively while the other person meant it in the best of ways, or perhaps jokingly.

We could also just make a more easier to understand rating system, or one with site-defined meanings...

See the funny thing is, the ratings actually are defined, but it's kind of hidden in the FAQ. It might be more helpful if the descriptions showed up on hover?

But then we wouldn't get fun threads like this, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like - I like this. The most basic of ratings. Alternatively, an acknowledgment.
Love - I very, very rarely use this. It means pretty much the same as it does for everyone else.
Thank - Appreciate it.
Useful - That was mighty useful, thank you for sharing.
Bucket of Rainbows - That was funny/amusing/made me happy.
You Get a Cookie - MY FAVORITE. IT CAN MEAN ANYTHING.
You Need a Hug - Pat on the shoulder. Thing is, I hate receiving these-- I automatically interpret them as a sarcastic or mocking gesture. Probably best to avoid giving me one unless that's what you intend.
Nice Execution - That was clever.
Go Home, You're Drunk - That's ridiculous/weird/please seek help. Sometimes "that's silly".

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Like: Agreement, acknowledgement, or otherwise nice thing that doesn't fit any of the other ratings.
Love: Too perfect IMO, major agreement, or I just like you a lot and where most people would get a like, you get this.
Thank: Thank you. Sometimes used when somebody answers a question really fast.
Useful: This was helpful to me and made my day/life better, but somehow doesn't warrant any of the other ratings.
Bucket of Rainbows: Generally used for LOL, amused, you're being a goofball, you're being a ray of sunshine, etc. Also used when I feel a little goofy or when love doesn't do the trick.
Go Home, You're Drunk: I've never used this rating, to be completely honest. The only times I've come close are when folks are talking about alcohol or being complete off-the-wall goofy people, though.
You Get A Cookie: It can mean anything, though I generally use it for a sarcastic "good job" or a "good to know" rating.
You Need A Hug: Well, you need a hug. I want to hug you and make you feel better. When I use this rating, I'm trying to show you love and nothing else. ALL MY HUGS ARE SINCERE MKAY
Nice Execution: Well done/well written post/awesome pun or whatever. Also used when somebody dies in a post because why the flop not.

These can vary heavily depending on context, but those are the general meanings I have for them when I use them.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I feel like I could list a lot of possible meanings for each, depending on context... XD

Like:
  • I was mildly amused by this.
  • I acknowledge the existence of this post; I want you to know that I saw it and that I don't have any major objections to it. (Typically used as a stamp of GM-ly approval or acknowledgement for not-super-important matters.)
  • I agree with this point you brought up and/or appreciate that you offered this perspective, but not strongly enough to give it one of the other ratings.
Love:
  • I really like this thing! It made me happy! :D
  • I very strongly agree with what you're saying (similar to the 3rd like meaning, but stronger).
Thank:
  • A quick, polite thank-you in response to something small that doesn't warrant a more elaborate thank-you -- used similarly to the 2nd use of 'like". For example, I might give one of my players a thank rating when they say "yeah so I did that thing with that post that you wanted me to do".
  • You helped me with any other thing that would warrant a thank-you.
  • You gave me a compliment.
  • You just brought up an argument that I agree with but that I couldn't word as clearly, myself. Basically, you presented my argument in a more convincing way. Thank you for that. (Generally used in GC discussion threads and the like.)
Useful:
  • This post was helpful to me.
  • This post wasn't helpful to me personally, but it could probably be useful to other people (I often use this while I'm poking around the help desk forum).
Bucket of rainbows:
  • This is silly and I enjoy it.
  • This is over-the-top cutesy and/or happy and I enjoy it.
  • This is stupid. Give me more.
  • You are clearly very enthusiastic about something, and I will add rainbows to your enthusiasm.
  • This is gay and I like it.
You get a cookie:
  • You did a cool thing! Congrats!
  • Similar to the final thank meaning -- except usually regarding less serious matters and usually just when someone thinks up some clever little bit that I hadn't thought of.
  • I said something like "I will give a cookie to whoever understood that obscure reference", and then you understood the reference, so I kept my word.
Go home, you're drunk:
  • This is stupid (but like, in a funny/harmless way).
  • Similar to any of the bucket-of-rainbows ratings, except dumber.
  • Your name is Gwazi Magnum.
You need a hug:
  • You are clearly going through a rough time and I honestly want to offer my sympathy. :(
  • I'm being sarcastic (ONLY used in situations where a person is being obviously over-dramatic and not actually that upset by something. And even then, I rarely use it this way when talking about anything even remotely serious...)
Nice execution:
  • Similar to the final thank meaning, but with more "fuck yeah" behind it.
  • You brought up a really solid point and I want to give you props for that.
  • You are talking about killing off a character (which includes vaguely hinting at or joking about it), or in the process of doing it in an IC post.

These are just the meanings that I personally intend when I give these ratings out, though. As a result, I often assume that many people mean sort of the same thing when they give these ratings to me, but I'm aware that sometimes people mean other things with them, and sometimes it can be pretty obvious when it's supposed to be interpreted as something else. For example, if I make a serious post in a GC discussion thread about some social/political topic, and I receive a "go home, you're drunk" rating, I think it's clear that it means "I think your opinion is stupid/you don't know what you're talking about", even though I personally wouldn't use the rating in that way...

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Izurich and Greenie
Your name is Gwazi Magnum.

I admit I laughed out loud here :'D

I should be asleep... so I'll add my own interpretations on the ratings tomorrow. ^_^

• Thank You
Reactions: Kagayours
Brb copying my original post on a similar thread a while ago

:thumbsup: Like
Good shit man
:heart: Love
Damn son that was some next level stuff 10/10 would totes read/watch/see/etc again
:bronzemedal: Thank
Thank you for doing ABC. Thank you for closing a shitty thread. Thank you doing this, this and that basically
:wrench: Useful
Hey some shit I can actually use in the long run
:rainbow: Bucket of Rainbows
BEST CONTENT OMFG I'M DEAD FROM LAUGHING SEND LIFE SUPPORT and/or FANGASMING INTENSIFIES
:drunk: Go Home You're Drunk
Dude lay off the weed and alcohol. Umm...are you high? Ummm I don't get you.
:cookie: You Get a Cookie
Free cookie? You tried.
:hug: You Need a Hug
You look sad/angry/depressed/etc, lemme give you a hug
:axeman: Nice Execution!

• Like - Nothing you do matters.
  • Love - Nothing you do matters.
  • Thank - Nothing you do matters.
  • Useful - Nothing you do matters.
  • Bucket of Rainbows - Nothing you do matters.
  • Go Home, You're Drunk - Nothing you do matters.
  • You Get a Cookie - Nothing you do matters.
  • You need a hug - Nothing you do matters.
  • Nice Execution! - Nothing you do matters.

*whisper* if people get their posterior injured over internet rating... There's a deeper underlying issue. *totally doesn't go back to see if she got any cookies from Jorick...*

I think I'm gonna use Grumpy's scale from now on! Consistency is important. :)

Aw dang.

On a ... more serious?? note. I would like to add that I have been on sites where NEGATIVE ratings DID exist. Let me tell you. It's better we've got mostly goofy ones *LOL*

Also, apparently I use <3 for romantic posts, too XD

We had negative ratings not too long ago.

They were removed cos fuckwits couldn't be trusted with them. Now people just have to try and be spiteful with 'go home you're drunk'.

Status
Not open for further replies.