Iwaku: Dark Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quarry gone, sword sheathed...religious dogma had scuttled over his domain and taken a shit directly in his protocol. But wasn't that what organized religion was supposed to do? They all break rules for their 'higher power' and expect the rest of the masses to see it as Divine Intervention. Nothing but a bunch of kids playing dress-up with a loaf of bread.

The rain stopped, probably while I was thinking in between processing and cleaning up the ISAF. Coagulated blood floats near the drainage pipes and I smell its rank corruption. If Ryker could see what the ISAF has become...but no one's seen him since Paorou fired the first shot. Most think dead, others think hiding, still others think he may be pulling the strings from the shadows. Not me. Ryker would sooner be dead than see his beloved ISAF turned into these shambling husks. All military might and redundant organs...not his idea of a Dystopian force.

Natalie is gone now, but I flipped her the bird when I had the chance. Pure obligation of course, can't let on that I respect her methodology or understand that it wasn't her intention to steal my prey. The world works on structure and I can't second guess my place in the scheme of things.

My mind goes to Kitti, a tram car pulling into a familiar station. I wonder how she's doing, if she's well. She didn't chase me to the angel and I haven't heard chatter of catching a necromancer and a small woman. I let myself breathe relief, knowing she's still breathing out there. Must feel one helluva hatred for me but I'm disinclined to worry. Better that she doesn't recognize me. Better that she sets herself against me. I'll take any Kitti to the pale-faced phantom on a dirty gurney, wrists lost in blood.

I check the time, fingers drifting over a familiar clockface and twitching hands. Almost time. Tegan, the Soul Mate, called our meeting in a littler earlier this month. Usually I wouldn't expect her until next week at least, and the fact she's keeping this short and early tells me she's busy. Not unsurprising, rebellion is rising from the sewers and forgotten barrows. I imagine Allies and Soul Mates have their hands full assuaging those beleaguered hearts. The fact Tegan has ANY time for me alone is impressive, and though there is no relationship encouragement between our departments, there is no law that I cannot discuss possible dissidents with a registered citizen, especially a government worker of such high regard.

Securing my blade I move to catch a taxi, the Roleplay Gateway is some distance away and I'll not suffer her to wait for me.

"Check," I say to her with a smile, shifting my bishop in the path of her king. The chess game is a measure of our meeting, it continues till checkmate and then we depart. If we need more time, we make stupid moves...draw out the conquest. If we near the end of our conversation, we feverishly work to hem in and conquer the other. The Gateway creaks around me, distant moans scuttling beneath the badly insulated doors to remind us of our place here.

No one comes to Asmo's old bar for the stories anymore. The Bread Cult were the first to raise complaints, destroying every rebellious game of fantasy or distant future and replacing them with Bread Cult games of history and doctrine. The adult games they kept, the revenue alone keeping the Gateway from collapsing on itself. The Council placated the Cultists, insisting that the virtual whores were instrumental for keeping the rabble tamed. To an extent, they were right. No one sits in the main body of the tavern anymore, they shuffle past us from every walk of life and shamelessly unzip their pants before opening the door. In that instant I am forced to see them, gyrating bodies, naked skin blotched with disease or poverty undulating to a fictional phantom.

I try to hold back my disgust and remember what I am. At least they possess a modicum of courage in their acts, no embarrassment among their peers seeking an equally oblivious embrace.

I look at Tegan, or rather I raise my eyeless gaze to her. She's thinking, I can tell, her brows knotted only lightly in concentration. It isn't the game she's thinking of, her knight could easily take my bishop and banish the danger to her King...and even if she didn't want to lose her knight to my rook, a simple sideways shift of her king from the line of fire would be adequate to avoid disaster.

There was something else on her mind.

The bar creaks around us, barely holding up the weight of its shame.

I sip my tea lightly, enjoying the warmth the honeyed draught brings to my stomach. It appeases the snake gnawing inside me and I am glad for the peace, however brief.

"Make your thoughts known," I say at last, placing the cup down neatly in front of me, "I'm not so blind as to miss your unease."

I leave the off-brand Smut Club after nixing my name from the list. It was a nice try... but I'm not interested in my memory being blanked out every five seconds. I may be a sinner, I may be a lousy being right now, and I may treat my body like a meal ticket, but I'm trying to get myself back on my feet.

The dusty ground prickles at the soles of my bare feet, and I'm sure that if my feet weren't so calloused, I'd be in pain right now.

The air around me raises goosebumps on my flesh and my bare chest reacts to it. For a moment, I idly remember that I'm topless again. I really should do something about that... And something to feed my stomach too.... I'm starving...

I keep walking along the street, and I come across one of the neighborhoods.... a kind of suburban hell. Houses that should be condemned, a stench of death and spoiled food throughout the area... Broken wood and shattered brick.... One of these houses was where I used to hide for a while... I finally find it, the paint peeling, it smells musty and there's a heavy stench of death clinging to the property.

There's a voice in the back of my head telling me that there's a better way... that I can walk away... that there's other options....

I ignore it. If I don't get food soon, I'll die.

I enter the house, and what's left of my shriveled stomach turns and I dry-heave for a moment. I should have just turned and walked away, listen to the voice in the back of my head.

I hear the sounds of mad gibberish.

And for a reason I don't even understand, my mouth starts to water. Was I going insane? I don't care.... I'm going to do what I need to.

I turn the corner and I see a Spammer feasting on a corpse. Damned thing must be as hungry as I am... and desperate.... I see maggots on the rotting carcass. She turns towards me, and the insanity takes a plunge. A switch is flipped and survival instincts kick in.
There's blood barely drying around her as I step towards her.... she's muttering words that I can't understand. I dig my own, cracked and dirty nails into my wrists and the blood flows out. I kneel down to the ground, coloring the floor. Summoning up a knife.... it's all I need for this. I just need it for a moment...

She's coming towards me and I know we're thinking the same thing.

I take the knife and I slit my wrist and then toss it aside.

My blood is now dripping onto the floor. Fresh. much fresher than that corpse. I must smell fucking delicious because she looks more crazed than before. She's crawling on the floor towards me, careless, just lapping at the pool of my blood. Desperate.

I make my move and pin her down on her stomach, my thing fingers dig into her skull as I grip it tightly and then jerk it. Not enough to kill or paralyze. I just need it to be frozen by pain for a second. A long stream of gibberish pours out of the creature that I'm not even registering as sentient anymore. All I see is opportunity.

It's still alive, barely mobile as I flip it over onto its back, my nails rake across her stomach again and again Ripping at the skin as best I can. I feel a horrid pain as one of my nails comes off.

I keep going.

I'm trembling and shaking, my eyes are wide.

Blood is pouring out of the wounds I'm inflicting and the spammer is struggling against me as I pin her down with my bare foot smashed against her neck as I twist my body around. It's struggling, trying to push me off.

I can't have that.

The madness grows as it shoves at my face, its fingers clawing at me.

Too close to my mouth.

I feel my teeth crunch through bone and slice through skin and a thin layer of muscle as I snap away a index and middle finger. Blood's running over my lips and down my throat and the warmth of it is soothing my parched throat.

I'm surprised by how delicious it is.

They say the best spice is hunger.

It's done fighting me as it holds its bleeding hand to its chest, looking up at me with wide eyes.

I only snatch up the hand again and take away more fingers... then I go for the other hand.....

I know I've reached my limit. I've been used to eating nothing for so long that that's all I can eat now. I don't want to waste it.

I see a nail gun close by and I get up and grab it, firing it at the creature, pinning it to the ground.

I'm still shaking. I'm still hungry... so I sit there next to the body as it writhes in the throes of death. Rocking back and forth, hunched over as I stare into its eyes. It keeps screaming. I wait until I feel like it's ok, and then I continue, my mouth opens and my bloodstained teeth come down onto the creature's front where I had been clawing at. I snap open the skin and I tear away chunks of the skin and flesh, trembling more.

It's warm and has different textures. I feel the soft skin and the stringy-feel of the muscle... I think I even feel the smooth muscle of a vital organ.

I start chewing and something slices open my gums.

Oh.... it's just that fingernail I lost earlier.

I spit it out and keep going.

I can't stop this time, I can't pace myself. it all comes back up. I vomit into the body's cavity and, consumed with the huger, I keep eating. I taste my own bile, my own saliva, and I keep going.

The screams are annoying me. I move and I stare into the creature's pleading eyes.

And then I grab its lower jaw and hold its head.

I tear away bone and muscle, all that's left is a gruesome mess of blood and a bit of the tongue flopping over the esophagus. All it can do now is gargle on its own blood as I move back, trying to fill myself up.

I throw up again.

Keep eating.

I throw up again.

Keep eating.

It's still alive when I finally take a break, then decide I want to take it back to my little alleyway.

I don't even care how it feels as I tug it off the ground, pulling it away from the nails I had used to pin it down.

Then I drag it out of the house and I carry it back to my "home".

It's still writhing as I carry it. I'm still shaking as I go.

I don't even care that I'm still topless.

SUMMARY:
TK'S SANITY HAS JUST KICKED THE BUCKET.

It's been a while since I left that cbox to it's fate, I disappeared into the eternal night like I always do. So I do what I've always done, sat and watched, and hit where I can cause the most panic, the world went on, purger went on purging, people stayed scared or stayed high. Then something changed, I could feel it, an oh so familiar change that even I went through.

Chaos

That whisper confirms it, the rain's stopped, I feel revitalized.

Night air beneath my wings, the sent of blood, and madness within my nose. I find my quarry easily enough, same girl from before only now she's topless. what I see next is what get's my attention, the girl's covered in blood from the fresh meal she's dragging around...and it looks like she hasn't even killed it yet.

The smell is almost overwhelming, she stands on the knife edged precipice of chaos, and all I need to do is give her that little push. Then I can watch the delicious events unfold as she tries to save herself, but only ends up falling deeper.

The robed woman looks up from their game, her face softens. She speaks so that the Purger can hear the smile on her lips. "Other than the sound beating you are dealing me?" Tegan takes a slow sip from her cup.

Absently, she moves her knight into the fray.

This move piques the Purger's attention. Tegan is a conservative player. She wouldn't sacrifice such an important piece if there was an alternative. No, not unless she's setting him up for a trap. With her it's always a trap. The real question is: which will be more beneficial?

Taking his bishop from the board, Tegan sets it with the other captured pieces- all placed in a neat row, but in no particular order.

"The sybils have begun to whisper." There is the sound of cloth rustling against skin as she pulls her sleeves back to expose her wrists. One hand delicately grasping the handle, the other rests two slender fingers on the lid. In one smooth motion, she tilts the teapot, and a steamy spill of amber tea pours into the Purger's cup. For the Soulmate, everything is intimate ritual. "Their visions are of fire and stone." Soundlessly, the teapot is replaced. "I am concerned for the daughters of the Convent." After all, their existence was hanging by a mere thread.

There is only one religion in Iwaku City, and it is centered solely around Paorou-sama. There is no Other. They live their daily lives in ritual and service in order to quell inspirations of the Goddess in the minds of others. Should the Convent be found as a breeding ground for heresy it would be to the bakeries for all of them.

"It seems like this city is boiling over."

For a moment, she surveys the battlefield.

The board is very old, a wooden relic from the Roleplay Gateway's younger days. It is the board that they have always used. The contours are worn smooth from the hands that move them-like pebbles in a stream. The pieces have turned a muted gray. It is nearly impossible to tell which piece belongs to what side. Only the two players know, and they tell no one else. Of course, it's not like they have an audience.

They are both surprised by a jazz tune sounding out of a trumpet in bawdy yawps.
Someone behind the bar must have realized their presence and turned on the music.

Tegan laughs and returns to the present. "How rude of me to be thinking of other matters during our game."

"Tell me what troubles you."

Then she adds with the arch of a brow and a sardonic smile, "and don't even think of saying 'it's nothing'."

I frown. I didn't expect Tegan to take the bishop and offer up her knight. As a careful player, she usually conserves the chipped horses for a tactical jump later in the game. She's changing her strategy...

I let the pieces sit for awhile, tipping my cup to allow the spout of the kettle to spill tea into my cup. I can hear the contractions of her muscles, the beat of her heart. I try not to pay attention. Tegan is a woman who has almost as much control over her senses as I do. Measuring her by what her organs whisper is a fallacy I'd rather not fall into, otherwise she'll have me dancing to her own music as I've striven so hard to avoid. She wants me to ask her what's wrong, but then and again she knew I would ask regardless. The chess board is only a metaphor for our conversations, a fitting game to play while we play each other. She's one of the closest friends I have in Iwaku now, but I wouldn't trust her with my life if she paid me to.

Especially if she paid me to.

Her words strike a chord in me, but not the kind I want strummed. The sybils are whispering...when was the last time they did that? I'm not much one to hang off the words of a prophet so I can't remember when their last prediction was, but I know how important it is.

I reorganize the pieces on my side of the board, toying with her smoothed Queen, spinning it around with my index finger. Unlike her I organize my pieces by order of importance. Like a collection I grow my conquests until they are relinquished to the box once more. We are different in that fundamental aspect I think. I inherently assign value to people, assessing them and grouping them as a warrior might size up an opponent. In contrast, Tegan recognizes all pieces as instruments of her own will. One piece may be as important as another and to assign true value would be to extend a dangerous step toward dependency.

I wonder what she'd assign to me...a knight? A pawn?

"The sybils love their cataclysms," I mutter, rapping my knuckles lightly against the board. The vibrations tell me the pieces and I try to see her strategy. Of course she's either ten moves ahead of me or being needlessly cocky in hopes of throwing me off. Always a plot with her, always a trap. She would have made a great councilman...but I suppose the oldies in the High council would fear her influence. "I'll be shocked when they predict something beneficial rather than apocalyptic."

I take the knight with my rook, likely my favorite piece. The rook does not question, only moves. Straight lines and infinitely in them...no jumping or grand strategy, just an honest warrior honestly obliterating.

I think she likes taking my rooks away most.

Forces me to think outside my usual operation.

She wants to know what I'm thinking and I'm reminded that sometimes I let my expressions get the better of me. Without sight I'm not constantly correcting my facial emotions. A chuckle bubbles out of me before I can stop it and I smile at her almost playfully. Nearly three hundred games and I always get the feeling I'm on the losing end...whether I win or not.

"An angel came to town today," I answer, placing chin to palm tiredly, "I had orders to kill him." These stories always start the same way, the fun part is the end. "You'd think the heavens would have learned not to send emissaries anymore. After what happened to Lamord I'm shocked another chanced this city."

Tegan smiles, it's an encoruagement to go on. She won't ask me if it was Asmo. Just as well, I wouldn't have been able to answer her. What was Asmodeus but a name and a shape, an angel and an ideal. I see him more as an idea than ever a physical being. I wonder if she sees the same?

"He has allies now, reminds me of a certain Angel we used to know...barely a few hours in the city and I counted at least three companions...maybe more."

I won't tell her Kitti is among them. Tegan is a friend, but hardly trustworthy. I want Kitti safe, not hunted. The only way to do this is to keep her name OUT of the government's hands. I don't want her to be an assignment. I couldn't bare for her to be an assignment.

"Inquisitor Natalie reached him before I did, turns out Orochi has more use for him than a standing Council order." I begin to wonder if it really IS the council that talks to me anymore. I would have no way of knowing...I could be anybody's blade. The thought is nauseating and I push my cup forward for more tea.

"Maybe fire and stone is the sybils' way of warning...the angel is dangerous, especially with so much ill ease in this town." I stare vacantly at the board, chess pieces, people...thirty two or three thousand. Music scuttles along the nape of my neck. I hate it for some reason.

"I think I might be busy for the next few weeks," I predict dismally, "Tell your girls to avoid walking alone."

Feels like days have passed. It shouldn't be my concern, but that's my nasty habit. Always trying to keep things in order.

The Fear Garden's taken me places I don't ever want to go. But when next I open my eyes, my head clears a little. The nightmares have passed. But the humiliation is just beginning.

A woman's sitting there, at a desk, between two pillars of the catacomb. No sign of Orochi. Just her, with a strange half-smile, half-frown that forms a single and uniquely vexing expression. I can tell by her makeup that she's a product of the Convent, a woman groomed and tutored to be the perfect female role-model. Delicately, she dons a pair of glasses, clicks a ballpoint pen, then turns on a small microphone perched on the desk.

"So..." Ocha begins, her voice sing-song and perky, like a talk-show host, "You left a place called 'the Silent Hill' and fell down a big flight of stairs?"

I groan, trying to keep my head up as I hang there. "Yes.. no... the stairs are a metaphor. The Silent Hill was a part of Heaven. I decided to fall to Iwaku, and the realms I fell through... they were like stairs. Each one hurt me, and..."

"Oookay..." Ocha made a note, her frown-smile beaming. "And then you met Gabriel, who was a travelling Kung Fu fighter?"

"No. He'd stopped being the Kung Fu fighter by then, because Woodrat and Anne Bonny had found him. The God Homac sent them to bring Gabe back to fight the Noobs."

"Oh yes, Woodrat. He's the one who died in the Nerf Rebellion?"

"Well, he was killed, yes. But then he became a Cycle Guardian. Anyway, that's not the point. Gabriel gave up his travelling and began recruiting warriors to help him fight Razilin. There was me and the Warmaster and Thoma.. I mean, Rory. He was an angel."

"From the Silent Hill?"

"No, a different... a different type of angel."

"But he was also Orochi's brother."

"Yes."

"Orochi, who ran around in a superhero outfit with Paorou, who was his own grandfather and served on both sides of the Nerf Rebellion?"

I screw my eyes shut, trying not to vomit. The chains are cutting my wrists. "Look! It was different back then. Iwaku was like... it was stranger... like a comic book. We had different motivations."

Ocha adjusts the microphone, clearly pleased with the way the conversation was going. "Iwaku was a comic book?"

"It was a time when Reality Bending affected the geography. Nothing was defined - just forests and beaches and... white backgrounds..."

"And then what?"

"Well, then Confluence came in to balance it. I was chosen as its vessel. It was about the same time the ISAF arrived. We defeated Razilin and the city... it... well..."

"Iwaku City just appeared out of nowhere?"

"It.. it was a new age. The world changed... like.."

Ocha puts a hand over her face, hiding a grin as she nods along, "So a city poofed into existence. Then what?"

"With Razilin gone the Noobs were no longer under his control. Gabe banished most of them, but... but then they started growing again. Things turned ugly with the Nobody Rebellion and Lady Simica became a focus for Gabe's madness. The Knights began to divide."

"Oh, you mean the Legacy Knights from the spaceship?"

"No! No, the original Knights trained by Lord Gosai... I mean, Coffeec... er... " My stomach twists, bile and poison pooling in my guts.

"So is this when you and Rory became princes?"

"Yes... Rory put down the Cbox Rebellion, and I developed Prolific X. Together we kept the Noob Rebellion in check."

Ocha checks back through her notes. "Oh yes, your 'Ego Zombies'? Bit of a contradiction, don't you think? You can't be a zombie AND have an ego?"

"It's just.... it's just a turn of phrase." I try to glare at her, but my eyes won't focus. "With the zombies I built my corporation. The A.R.C... we provided entertainment to the masses... kept the peace."

"With your Rug Monster and your giant rabbit called Gribble McThribble?"

I swear I can hear laughter somewhere, up above. "No... I... they weren't real... that was Paorou's propaganda... he..."

"But then Chopsticks got mad and went off to sell his soul in order to defeat you?"

"No! That was Jack..."

"Oh, the little ginger kid?"

"No, the other Jack! JackShade. He was one of my lieutenants... and he.... he got... I abandoned him when he fought the first rising of the Bread Cult... so he... went..."

"Are these the Cult Wars that you talked about?"

"What? Er... yes... I think."

Ocha checks her notes again, "The A Cult, the Z Cult, the Hand Cult, the Foot Cult, the Positive Cult, the Negative Legion, the Raging Gentleman, the Apocritakan Zoo-PFFFT! HAHA HA HA HA!!" She can't help it - she giggles, hiding her mouth as she adjusts the microphone again.

"They're just... names..." I swallow down my vomit, "But the infighting drove Gabriel mad. He departed across the waters, leaving me and Rory with the kingdom in our hands. Queen Bonny and most of the Knights went with him."

"And then you seized power?"

"No! It wasn't like that. Paorou framed me for Weavel's murder."

"The guy in the plastic mask?"

"He was Rory's friend. Rory declared war on me."

"And this is the Admin War?"

"Yes. I allied with the Shapeshifters and the Markovians. The ISAF stayed neutral, fighting both sides. And Paorou kept to the shadows."

"Except when he killed the 80ft Daemon you had summoned by raping your prisoners?" There's more laughter above me.

"Yes, Paorou slew Coatlbara. But I never took him seriously. I was focussed on Rory. I almost killed him on Temple Island, but then JackShade got in the way. We fought... and... Lycan Queen got hurt."

"Oh, and this is the part where you suddenly turned good and changed into white robes?"

"Yes..no... I can't remember. But I tried to stop it. Rory's followers were storming my Towers and... the ISAF had nuked one of them. I surrendered... to save the Shapeshifters and the civilians... I mean... the civilians who had been the Ego Zombies... but the zombies changed back when I changed..."

"So you and Rory made a truce (after secretly killing off Chaos and JackShade because they were too radical) and you tried to find peace for your ex-zombies?"

My head swims, "And after JackShade had brought the ISAF off... with some... money that he had... got from somewhere..."

"Yes, that was very lucky. And then Paorou came along with his explosive bread?"

"His men posed as aid workers... they fed the civilians some kind of explosive... during the truce. It caused a... there was blood everywhere... and.... and..."

"And then you turned evil again?"

"I lost my mind... I... Paorou said he would remake Iwaku... and I... I believed him."

"That's some major Stockholm Syndrome." More laughter.

"So we took the Sword of Iwaku to Nerf Castle and tried to pierce the planet's core. But Rory and the others stopped us... and Homac came down. He was angered by Rory's experiments with the Goddess vessel... So he came down and... er..."

"Paorou stabbed him with a big sword?"

"Yes...but... Homac took the Goddess down with him. Her parting gift was to show Paorou what she and Rory had built together... another Iwaku. A Mirror Realm where everything could be better. So Paorou realised that he'd been beaten and... er... he helped send us all through to the new world..."

"Oh yes, this is the part where we all magically came back to life."

"So the third age began... the Age of DreamWeaving. Iwaku became an island with extra regions, like the desert and Brigadoon and the mountains and... the Mirror. Everything was magical and..."

"And you opened a tavern?"

I shut my eyes, trying not to hear the laughter echoing through the Bread Temple. "It wasn't like that. I was trying to hide. Everyone went quiet then, for the next 18 years. We had our own adventures and tried to forget about things. But then the Crimson Eye..."

"Ah yes, the cult made up of your old followers. These guys started terrorising Iwaku, right? What were their motives again?"

"I... don't remember. It was something to do with the Tarot or the Zodiac or something. They were going to summon the other Archetypes, or... er... they were led by the Chaos Sorceror Sindri, who wanted to use the Barship in the ritual because... er... it was the only ship to survive the Admin War without being resurrected... and that made it special."

"Right..." Ocha rolls her eyes.

"Anyway... it was clear by then that the forces of DreamWeaving were out of control. Everything was cluttered and overly-dependent on magic and ritual. Things reached crisis point when the Crossover happened."

Ocha turns to another page of her notes and waves her hand with mock enthusiasm, "Oh! I know! This is where the Legacy timeline comes in, right?"

"Yes... er.. I think... The Legacy Crew were from the future where... erm... Homac killed Rory and thus denied Paorou the chance to see the error of his ways. So in that timeline Paorou's madness consumed everyone and caused the Rift Storms."

"I thought you said Void was the first Rift Storm and he was imprisoned in mortal form by Atrian Des, who was an alternate version of yourself?"

"No! Paorou caused the first storm to manifest, but I.. I mean.. Atrian trapped that storm in mortal form."

"But in the Legacy timeline Void was able to learn humanity and compassion and so restart the Cycle before a universal cataclysm and thus send the Legacy Crew back to avert the very timeline that had created them..."

My head is swimming. I don't really follow what Ocha just said. "Erm... yes. The Legacy Crew came back to stop the Age of Confluence. They helped Paorou to kill Homac and save Rory. That way Rory and the Goddess were able to move everyone to the Mirror Realm. And the Legacy Crew helped to protect Iwaku over the next 18 years. The Crimson Eye were destroyed before they could gain power..."

"And this is what you called the Fourth Age? Where you went around in a mask being submissive?"

"Yes, the Age of Soul Arts. The timeline reset itself and the Elder Invasion occurred, which helped reshape the land. Instead of magic, confluence or reality-bending, the people of Iwaku were called upon to look into their own souls for value. Each person had to choose what to fight for and who to follow."

"Oh yes, the Elders... automated search engine bots sent by Diana to classify Iwaku and locate the Absolute artefacts?"

"I... I'm not sure... the story never got finished... The Elders tricked me, using CoffeeCake, no... someone who looked like CoffeeCake. They made me believe in the Hero of Iwaku myth."

"And you went mad again?"

"No... yes... a little. I turned on everyone and... and it kept everyone busy. They were so wrapped up in fighting me that they didn't see Diana taking power from under their noses. She did what Razilin did.. what Simica did... she rallied the Noobs and used them to invade Iwaku. No one ever worked out that the Elders were her own creations. She played us all."

"And this was when Karsikan, Myrnodyn, Archy and Tegan killed you."

"They didn't kill me... they just... made me human. But I died later from my wounds. By then the Fourth Age was already coming to an end."

"With the Dimensional Bleeds?"

"Yes. The Elder Invasion and the previous ages had put such a strain on Iwaku that its timelines and realm walls were collapsing. Everything fell apart and... and... I don't know what happened after that... because..."

"Because you were already dead?"

"Y... yes..."

There is silence. Slowly, smugly, Ocha leans forwards, her lips almost brushing the microphone as she speaks. "And this concludes our special report on Old Man Asmodeus, the murderer of Charles Glazer, who was found dead in his apartment today. Who says homicide can't be funny? This is Ocha from N.L. News, wishing you all a good night!"

The mircrophone is turned off and I feel more drugs entering my blood. My head rolls back, my thoughts returning to the swirling pool of nightmare and shame.

I've just been registered. Asmodeus... trickster... comic relief... a passing anecdote in the lives of the ignorant.

I'm watching death descend.

There's a glassy, far-away look in this spammer's eyes as she bleeds out. Bleeds out from wounds I inflicted upon her to fill my own stomach... and I'm still eating. I'm stripping away pieces of flesh from its legs, stuffing them in my greedy mouth while I watch tears and a clear stream of mucous trail over the spammer's cheeks as it grasped at the last strands of life, gargling on coagulating blood. I almost feel like apologizing.... but after eating half of her body, there was not much to say.

She blinks so slowly, and I pause in my gluttony to watch her struggle.

What's left of the mangled remains of her tongue flop a little and I see her throat moving, swallowing... coughing, heaving. I hear her as she mutters and moans, her body writhe in a slow dance that's coming to an end.

And then it happens. There's a snapping sound, and bright red blood starts pouring out of her nose. With every heart beat, more comes pouring out.

It seems so colorful and vibrant against her pale skin.

The spammer's eyes start to close again, and open once more to reveal the death looming in her future.

For some reason, it got to me... I picked up the mangled body of my victim and held her to myself, her blood painting me anew as I felt her weakly struggle against me before going limp. I felt tears escaping my eyes as I clung to the body with confusion. I didn't know what to do...

I lay the body down, and wonder what to do... I'm not hungry anymore... and I'm tired and bloodstained, cold and confused.

I finally crawl back to the body, wrapping my arms around it. I laid my head down onto the spammer's chest and I go to sleep with a depraved sense of comfort.

[DASH="blue"]It's night now in the abandoned house where I've chosen to base myself. The ISAF guys are still crawling all over the area around Zypher's apartment, so no use going back there. This house looks like father time took a bat to it one day, but it's easy enough to see why the drug dealer I kicked out used to do his work here. There's plenty of places to hide things, rent's nonexistent, and it's dry when it rains.

Well, some of it is.

There's a map rolled out on the dining room table, and it's looking at that which has come to occupy most of my time. I've scrounged up a few books from a school to learn about the world, but they hardly seem useful. Really they're more instructional phamplets on the proper way to fill your role in society. I particularly like how the one for tricksters starts off by talking about how the kid reading it is the scum of the earth.

Still, tonight I've got work to do. I study one particular section of the map, then carefully fold it up and put it in my pocket. I close my eyes and focus on where I want to be, and feel the pressure as the universe tries to keep me from leaving.

But it's not strong enough.

It's similarly resistant as I force my way back in, and it still can't keep me out. Looking around, I'm right where I wanted to be-the alleyway on 30th street I'm using as a waypoint around town. The building I'm going to be investigating tonight is just a block or so away.

I have to say, though; if I ever become a cult leader, we're focusing the religion around being mad scientists or really good lovermakers, not baking.[/DASH]

Pirogeth sat in the hallway for a bit. A whole minute passed before he managed to work up a quick and easy explanation for Orion. "Both Miru and you are to accompany me to a trip to the General Sector. Get what gear you need ready. Make sure Miru is also somewhat equipped to deal with threats. Meet me at my home on 783 West Crimson Boulevard when you are ready." Pirogeth continued down the hallways noticing that both Orion and Miru were following close behind him. Miru had nowhere to go from here and Orion's duty was now to protect Pirogeth. So the Advisor took the next logical action, enter a restricted area. The door coming up on his left was one of the highest secured rooms in the entire facility. The only people allowed in were the Council and those above them. "I'm sorry but you'll have to excuse me for now." Turning the handle on the light blue door Pirogeth walked on in.

Inside there was an identification scanner. Numerous methods were processed before allowed entry. Retinal scanners, thumb prints, identification card slots, all were necessary for what lay behind the door. Although originally meant to get Orion to carry out his orders Pirogeth felt compelled to visit 'her' at least one more time. The thick mechanical blast door opened up to a dimly lit room. The only light came from the device in the middle. It was a sort of cryogenic tube with a young girl inside. The monitors around the sides calculated all sorts of variables. Her heart rate, body temperature, mental condition, tube functionality everything to the last wire was tracked. Each and every council member found themselves in this room at one point in there life time. Pirogeth grabbed one of the chairs there, oddly enough it had a bumper sticker attached to the back reading 'counseling.' "Almost fitting, your condition." He began to talk to the girl. "The world outside is filled with all sorts of turmoil, disease, and not even the sun shines down. But in here we can almost forget all that." There was a long pause before beginning another sentence. "Sometimes I wonder how you do it, how your able to stay so pure in the blackest of sludge." In his own question Pirogeth began to wonder why exactly the High Councilman allowed her to be here. After being unable to find an answer to his mental inquiry he resumed his eye contact with the unconscious figure. "I'm sorry I could not keep this Council on the path of its original intentions. But just remember, if you do ever wake up, I gave forth all my effort." The chair squeaked as Pirogeth got up and ready to return home. "Good bye for now, Sakura."

It wasn't until he was safely back Underground-back in the womb, back in the tomb, that D-A could finally relax. And relaxing had turned into an all night affair. D-A let his shoulders sag forward, until his forehead lightly brushed the cool, earthen wall. The trickles of water from the pipe above splashed against his back, easing the tense muscles. With a small sigh, the man took aim then let loose a stream of urine down the makeshift shower drain. The scent reached his nostrils before it could be washed down with the water, waking him from his groggy state.

"d-a! open the fucking door; youve been in there forever!"

"Can't get any priv'acy so long as you're around,"
D-A grumbled as he shut off the water and pulled back the dirty curtain. His flesh was tattooed with fine works of art, which changed their appearance every few seconds. In the yellow light of a single, dusty lightbulb, D-A's skin glistened like a serpant's scales.

"Whut're you want?" The wooden door swung open, bathing Feral in the half light

Feral sniffed the air then wrinkled her nose in disgust. "nyao! youre still drunk!" then upon further investigation, "and naked!" The shrill sound cut straight through to his brain like a cold blade. D-A winced and massaged his temples.

"Ar' not," D-A croaked, his voice sounding grainy and rough to his own ears.

"are too! i can smell it on your breath!" Feral tried to brush past him, but D-A was a solid wall of flesh. She couldn't get past him without getting a face full of wang. "time to sober up; its mission time nya!"

"Sorry to burst your lit'le bubble but you're not coming wiff me, dawlin'."

"what?!"

"Face it, dawlin'. This is a stealth mission 'n you ain't exactly stealthy."

"suck a dick! im the one whose been nancy drew'n this bitch for WEEKS!"

D-A pinched the bridge of his nose before taking a deep breath and praying to the Mother for patience. " You attract too much attention to yourself wiff that loud mouf of yours, and I can't work wiff overly chatty li'tle catgirls."

"you think i wanna be sidekick for an old drunk with a speech impediment?!"

"I got orders not to let you leave the catacombs. Too many people saw your face, last night, and Luff's havin' a hard enouf time covering your tracks."

"i told you; it wasnt my fault! the isaf showed up and i couldnt meet mogno at the drop off place!"

"Dawlin', fack I shouldn't tel' you this,"
D-A paused for a moment, bit the inside of his cheek for luck, then continued. "You wouldn't 'ave met Mogno, anyway. We lost contact wiff her jus' befor' ISAF started buzzin' 'bout. 'S why me 'n Luff were out lookin' for you in the first pla'."

"an' when were you going to tell me this?!"

"I don't know. We was tryin' to protec' you, dawlin'. Luff knew you'd get mad 'n do somethin' stupid."

"that is a bitch thing to do and youre a bitch for doin' it!"

"Maybe so. But it doesn' change my orders, dawlin."

Feral's screams of wrath were cut short when D-A closed the heavy door in her face. He could still hear her outside, but knew it was only a matter of time before she tired herself out and left. He had to go topside one more time.

Nothing cures a hangover like a spot of kidnapping.

- - - - - - -

It wasn't fair. She should be dead, by now. Mother, it hurt so much. What was left her hurt, anyway. Whatever that damn drug was they injected her with had. . .

The Spammer Mogno jerked once from under TK, jolting her awake. Crazy little bitch. With what's left of her hand, Mogno finds the radio on her hip, and clicks the red button.

She opens her mouth to speak, or breathe, or scream but all that comes out is a gurgle of blood.

And then, she is still.

- - - -

"h0ly shit!1"
Rosencrantz jumped out of his chair, startled by the sudden beeping noise coming from his radio.

"Nan desu ka?!" Guildenstern looked up from his manga.

"i just picked up M0gn0's signal"

"What'll we do?!"

"tell D-A! w3 can go find her!"

"Can't! He's already topside," Guildenstern pondered until a flickering lightbulb appeared above his head. "So desu! I got it! Feral was on that mission with her!"

"rockz0rz! let's get her."

I didn't get it until now...

Bread.

The_lost_temple_by_srulik24.jpg

Bread is one of man's oldest creations, a Neolithic work akin to fire and the turning wheel. Its name hails from the roots of brewing and breaking, acts of simultaneous creation and destruction. In Latin a companion is one who brings bread (com - "with"; panion - "bread") and in a thousand cultures it is the "bread-winner" who is most reverred.

Its denial has sparked revolution, its embrace has fueled festivity. A key of life and death - the golden prize forged with alchemical labours.

A man who hungers for bread is a man who can overturn the world. Only now do I see its power, and how it conspires with the viking's ale to keep this city enslaved.

From what I remember as I was dragged into the Temple, it is a guarded by a warded portcullis. Beyond this is a great space known as the Hall of Hunger, where people gather to beg for crumbs. In this chamber the clergy feed their followers and accept their tributes - money, trinkets and family members, be they living neophytes or dead corpses for the ovens. The Hall is lit by the eerie green lanterns which seem at odds with the crimson robes of the Baker-Priests.

On either side the corridors are off-limits to the public. Patrolled by zealots, these passages give access to the vital offices, barracks and storerooms that feed the Temple. I've heard over 50 warriors can be stationed here, not counting the horde of bureaucrats, porters and kitchen hands. The Bread Cult is the biggest employer of Guardians in all Iwaku, training them in the doctrines of obstruction, obstinance and self-sacrifice.

Both corridors adjoin the Great Bakery, which encircles the rear of the Temple and takes almost half its floor space. Here the People's Bread is baked by the ceaseless toils of cultists and machines. Furnaces the size of houses are fed with coal, gas and human corpses, while other machines pound blood and flour in metal vats. The final dough is rolled out on stone tablets inscribed with prayers, ready for the procession of the Baker Elite, who convey their individual servings to the Communion Oven. This Oven, like some iron maiden built for giants, has over a hundred shelves to sort the bread into a hierarchy of firmness and flavour.

Meanwhile, if you were to continue through the Hall of Hunger, you would come to the Hall of Shkone, smaller but more elaborately decorated. This chamber is reserved for formal occasions, such as the Breaking of the Tooth (a child's first bite of bread), the Kneeding Celebration (a young adults first dough-shaping), the Marriage Feast, the Sin Eating and the Falling of the Crust (a funeral rite). The Hall is reserved for Shadow and Mentor class citizens who seek to pray beyond the weeping cries of the starving.

Go beyond this Hall and through the second portcullis, and you will find a flight of stone steps. This leads down to the Catacombs, where former priests are burried with baked bones and burnt crusts from the kitchen. Everything the Bread Cult no longer has a use for is put down here...

... including me - the mad angel who murdered Glazer.

I am bad bread... a recipe with the wrong ingredients, bitter riddled and treated with inconstant fire.

Listen closely, and you will hear my screams...

How is it, that in this world, fuck-ups like mine are allowed to happen?

I wake up to the cold and stiff body of the Spammer, blood dried and caked on my skin, feeling the bits of skin and flesh still clinging to my teeth. Did my teeth feel sharper today?

My blood felt like ice in my veins as I looked upon the corpse I had laid with. Blond hair, matted and dabbed with blood here and there, Flesh and skin torn askew, bone exposed and laid bare, the body was dead beyond a doubt.

All I could do now was stand up and keep looking at what I had done. And I wanted to feel something for what I saw... but all I felt was hunger for more. The flesh was spoiled by this time, though...

What now?

I was hungry, but I was better off than before.... so I used my small store of power to make myself an outfit to keep warm. drawing it with the coagulated blood, I watched as it came out of the ground, like it was surfacing out of water. I stripped out of the pants and put on the new change of clothes, and knew without a doubt that my body looked skeletal.

I wasn't taking this power out of my actual store, but I was using organic stores to use.... it was the same as exercising, expending food-created power for the use of muscles.

So every time I used my power right now, I would only get thinner....

I'd run out of power pretty quickly. If I was planning on using it again...

Was I planning on trying to imbue myself with power again?

The darkness of the alley was punctuated by the one bright light, which shed light on my outfit.... red and black... I wasn't surprised... though... I was almost certain my skin color was a different shade all of a sudden... Though I couldn't figure out if it was darker or lighter or what had changed.

I needed more food... I needed more food so I could get more power.

I needed blood as well.... it was... a very useful medium when I needed to draw.

So, I went to work on what I had... and by the time I was done, half of the corpse was gone.

The spoiling flesh reaked from its hiding-place on my person, and a large purple crystal was soon embedded in the buckle that cinched my waist. Most of the gems I had turned my drawings into, were purple, though, it had been reddish brown before. I wondered why that was, and I had all the time in the world to think about it.

I stayed in the alley, though, of course.

I really didn't have anywhere to go, or any clue what to do.... I was only trying to gain back a small piece of myself to sweeten this hell.

I wanted to thank the corpse for its help... I wanted to say that I apologized for taking her life....

But it felt like humanity was a cheating mistress with me now. She teased me and graced me with her presence but then she would just disappear without warning.

I felt horrible.

Back at Holmgard, the weekly meeting is taking place. Present are all of those who has a say in future plans and problems considering the small settlement.

Just down the hall, Geirmund tramps quickly, still furious about the sequence with the council-member earlier. A waste of time in his view, and now he's late for the meeting, he's never late for a meeting that concerns his town!

He takes a deep breath, opens the door, walks in, closes the door behind him, walks to his place, sits down. Not so much as looking anyone in the eyes or letting a noise leave his lips.

The room, second floor of the town hall is quite small, nothing fancy. There is barely any space between the bookshelfs that cover the walls and the attendants chairs. It's almost as if the one who decided this was the room for their meetings wanted it to be this way so that it would force them to make it quick. No matter, meetings can take up to a dozen hours before the representatives have to meet for a second time the day after, only to make sure things are under controll. People know they are lucky to live in such a place in contrast to those downtown.

All seats are occupied by business heads, diplomats, elders and chiefs of the different institutions of Holmgard. Except for one seat that is empty, unusual for these meetings.

"Let me ask you, does anyone actually ever read these books, Idmund?" Hjalle asks, holding out a copy that reads "Bread Baking 101". an elder and veteran who still remembers what it's like to swing the blade. He is the one currently running the training camp in town. From age fourteen to age eighteen all young vikings attends the camp to learn all there is to modern and ancient warfare. Those who are deemed unworthy of going into battle are tasked with other jobs. While those who do get to join "the army" does so with pride in their hearts there is no romanticizing about the job they do. Theres no need to, out here, there are no one who needs to be convinced of believing so. There is no direct opposition, as long as they do not mess with the Mad King.

"I have to read every damn book they send us..." Idmund sighs while planting his elbows on the table made of fir. ".....Gudrun, can we please start the meeting?!" He powers over the small-talk, clearly this is not the first time Hjalle has made a joke of his work. Idmund is the Minister of Outside Relations. He's a skinny man, with a black goatee matching his clean-cut hair. Glasses of course and a pen stuck behind his ear.
Whenever the Council or anyone else representing the Mad King's rule wants someone from Holmgard to make a visit or vice versa, he's the one taking care of the talking.

He's one of those that goes against the norm, thats exactly why Gudrun appriciates him so much, he's a good man, but Hjalle and his brute comrades continuing taunting of the diplomat is not doing anyone any good. Time to get it started.

"All present! Please sit down and shut up so we can get this over with!" A big woman, sitting by the end of the table stands up. She's gotten their attention, good. If anyone is to be called the "boss" of Holmgard, she's the one. Even though she holds no real power over the town other than her wise words, she gets the respect needed from all to keep the meeting in order and has the final saying. Most cases ends up being compromises mashed up together anyway, aside from the occasional grumpy face, there has never been serious trouble with what gets decided here.

"Hildebrand, representative of the town-guards, you may start today's meeting." All the meetings were recorded for archiving, so therefore, each member had to be adressed by their full title at first.

"We request the Council to grant us a new dumping place for the dead bodies." she says shifting her attention to Idmund.

"I'll forward the request to the Council." he replies and writes in his notebook.

"Case closed! Next issue!" Gudrun continues.

It's going to be a long night.

I'm back with Orochi and he's pacing the shadows like before. Makes me wonder if that whole thing with Ocha was just a hallucination. The Cardinal's words reach me through a miasma of screams and gunshots echoing in my mind.

"Tell me another story, Asmodeus. Tell me how this will all work out." He stops by a pillar and his shock-tongs wave metronome-like through the green light of his half-skull. "I'm sure you've thought of it... how you'll escape this place and spark the revolution. Some big ending riddled with explosions? A last duel with Paorou? A battle on the streets? What climax do you picture in that clockwork brain of yours?"

I manage to lift my face, heavy though it is with grime and cutting sweat. "You said.. yourself... I'm... I've drawn people... the plot... s'moving..."

"Indeed it is," He resumes pacing, and in my drug-addled vision I see things moving with him - beasts and living trees, a nightmare foliage attending his every step. "For sadly you are one of many who preys on the needy. Your allies, if I can call them such, believe as you do that there is an answer at the end of this complexity. It fills me with sorrow to see such denial."

He comes closer, into the pale light that surrounds me, the tongs dripping with eldritch charge. The latin inscriptions on his robe seem to shift and run around his body like startled insects. "Yes, Asmodeus: denial - the most shameful of human conditions. For you see, there is no complexity at all. Life is and always has been very, very simple. We are born to desire things, and the world is set in opposition to that desire. That is all. The human experience is not a story or a lesson or some grand part to be played. It is simply a challenge. Our dreams are frustrated and we must learn to deal with it - that's all. That's the only thing we have to do. And in doing so, we achieve the very definition of GRACE!"

He punctuates the word by driving the tongs into my armpit. The shock twists me like a ragdoll and my tears and saliva cascade as involuntary whimpers form the music of my writhing.

"So here is the tragedy of humankind..." Recovering, I see him at the other side of the chamber, stroking something. "...the majority are without grace. They struggle against the reality of frustration, forming ideologies and choosing lifestyles - shaping gods and fatelines. Like architects they try to impose their own tracings over the lines of a harsh life. And all because they cannot understand the contraction between reality and desire."

His green eye fixes me, as between us I imagine a chasm filled with swirling horrors. "And that, Asmodeus, is the very form, delight and definition..... of madness."

Now I get it. The city, with all its roles and draconian laws, didn't fit with what I knew of Paorou. But now the mockery's clear. He's dragged these people into hell and given them jobs and designations, minature religions to cage their minds as they wait on scraps of bread and ale.

We're all in the Asylum now, boys and girls. Tread your circles and scrawl your mythologies on the walls. Anything to pass the time...

Whatever he's stroking moves away and Orochi comes back, floating over the delusional chasm. The tongs crackle in his hand.

"Stop looking for the loopholes, trickster. If you raise the people, the ISAF will slaughter them. If you destroy the Bread Cult, the people will starve. If you build a weapon, Paorou will see it. The people hang by a thread and it is the thread we give them. Now do as angel's do best, and worship all that is beyond your comprehension."

The tongs come up for another strike, but then a waft of warm air goes between us. The smell of bread, freshly baked and sweet with honey, fills my nostrils and at once my stomach growls, my whole body aching with a desperate hunger. I see Orochi smirk.

"Ah... lunch is served."

Poison in my human blood; hunger in my human gut. These are new and unpoetic tortures. I have no words to frame them.

I'm fucking starving.

[size=-2]
Sunshine lit up Kitti's face, the light of a new day illuminating one broken by shadows of the past. It seemed appropriate that the sunlight would make her want to weep. The light was fleeting, it darted in the smoke and pollution of the city and as soon as it flitted over her face, it was gone. Why, if it makes her so unhappy, did she regret its departure? She shook her head and looked down at the pallet beside her.

Grumpy had yet to awaken after whatever it was Jack had done to him, though she hadn't known if necromancers could even sleep. She was certain that his life was not extinguished, though, and thus she nurtured him through his sleep. She was looking a little better herself, she'd managed to thieve a bit of bread with which to feed herself and even stuffed a little down the necromancer's throat. She hoped that feeding him was the correct thing to do.

While Kitti had waited in agonizing hours of boredom just hiding from the sounds below, she had been planning and thinking and dreaming and waiting. She had to get Asmodeus back, he was the answer, she knew it. Perhaps it was gratitude for his sacrifices on her behalf, but she couldn't shake the angel's face from her dreams, waking or asleep. She had to save him or she must die, here and now, she thought to herself. There could be nothing else, she would never find another reason to live. If her weakness resulted in his death, she would be utterly lost.

When it became apparent that Grumpy did not appear to have any intention of waking, she considered the best option for him and for herself. He could not be a burden to prevent her from saving Asmo, yet he could often be useful. He was... foreign to her, yet she knew of his particular talents. When the hazy dark settled in on the city once more, she slung his bony frame over her back. It was a blessing for him to be so light.

Kitti made her way from the building beneath a cloak she'd found while scavenging. A nasty, torn black cloak but it would disguise her well enough. As for him, she'd covered him in his own cloak to transport him. She was determined to find Asmodeus, she'd seen the broadcasts that made a mockery of him in secret, peering in the window of a home. She knew where he was and now all that was left was his rescue.

The streets around her seemed ominously silent as she crept away from her safe haven. Her breath rang in her ears as though she were heaving, filling the alley with the sound but she knew that this was not accurate. She reflected as she walked that she would need a plan, just heading for the Temple was not enough, though if she could slaughter Ocha for her torment of Asmodeus, she would make it top of her list. Perhaps that would help with her entrance into the Temple. It was foolish, she thought bitterly, to be so arrogant as to make it known where the angel was held. Surely everyone knew that Ocha had holed herself up away from people to prevent someone from carrying out Kitti's fantasy long before now.
[/size]

Reactions: 1 person
<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Loy8lPJKdXA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

Someone behind the bar changes the stations. Stops at the familiar voice of the reporter. Ocha; as beautiful as she is shrewd. The woman always had a talent for words. Not even the angel stands a chance.

The two companions speak not a word. Instead, they begin to play more aggressively. Traps are sprung, pieces are conquered. They're playing for something, now.

During the game, Tegan fills the pot with more hot water and adds more tea leaves. She refills his cup, as always.
Something metallic bites the Purger's tongue then burns a path down his throat. The taste is familiar. It's of wine and blood sopped by the soil, minerals, roots that grow forever, dancing feet stomping over his graves, shadows. The tea tastes of the deep earth.

Something warm blooms between his eye sockets. What is in this tea?

One of her traps proves an unlucky gamble, and soon her king hobbles alone across the battlefield, one move at a time.

"And this concludes our special report on Old Man Asmodeus, the murderer of Charles Glazer, who was found dead in his apartment today. Who says homicide can't be funny? This is Ocha from N.L. News, wishing you all a good night!"

"Checkmate."

The two players lean back in their seats, finished with the furious massacre that splattered the board.
"Of all the times we've played," Tegan laughs, "this is the first time you've checkmated with a pawn," reaches for the piece, turns it between her fingers.

So Asmodeus is with Orochi- must have been caught after they retrieved Feral. It could just as easily be them locked away in the Bread Temple. She wished that fate on no one. As the two put away the pieces and board, Tegan wonders what is going through the Purger's mind. Will he go to the Bread Temple to free Asmodeus? Kill him? Perhaps he'll continue on. After all, why bother with a lowly Trickster? Tegan wonders if he would kill her for giving him the tea.

She decides it couldn't hurt to make another gamble.

"I have no guardian to accompany me home, tonight,"
it is soft, suggestive . "May I inconvenience you for fifteen minutes?" Something in her tone tells him that the game is not yet over. It's just going to a new playing field.

Spammy was balled up in the corner of this dank, dark room. Felt like stone around him. He rocked back and forth, eyes unfocused in the darkness, but if he could see they would be on the floor.

He ached. All over. Getting half-petrified, falling down the stairs of his apartment building, and getting arrested had taken a toll on him. Trying to find where bruises began or ended would be an impossible task. Not like he could see them anyway. Just easier to assume they were all over.

He wished they would turn the lights on. With nothing to see, all he could see was Glazer sitting there, dead, turned to stone. If he didn't see Glazer, then he saw that eye again, and the itch that had engulfed the left half of his body, the part that had nearly petrified, became almost too much to bear. He had taken to rolling on the wet floor, trying to moisten his skin to keep it from itching so badly, but it didn't really work. Scratching it didn't really work. Wishing it away didn't really work.

So he just rocked back and forth, wondering what would drive him insane first: This itch, being left in a dark room, or what they were going to do to him next. Would he even be sane enough to realize which had won?

This city...

Cold as ice, I found the remains to be lifeless....

it was like I was shaking out of a heavy sleep...

I dragged my hands over the cold flesh, and for some reason, my arms were bare....​

My body was bare....

Why was I naked?.... Hadn't I made myself clothes?

My head felt foggy, and I suddenly couldn't remember why I was there....

Why did it feel like my body was burning up?

Why was there a body?

What was my name?​

My stomach was hurting... and then.... it just stopped...

I found myself suddenly vomiting near the body, disgusted with it.... who did that?

Wait.... what is that... in my puke?

I did that.... Didn't I?

RORY

Why is that name so familiar..... what is wrong with me today? What's my name....

Trance Kitsune

What the hell kind of a name is that? Trance? Like going "Into a trance"?.....

Going into a... Oh.... wait....

Julez is my other name....

Or is it?

Why do I have two names?

..... Kisaragi...

Wait.... I died....

"But why cant I speak norma-....."

I just spoke out loud... Something that wasn't.... "Murr".....

Why does my head hurt so badly.... Why am I suddenly seeing all kinds of memories and names...?

I died... and then.... I was.... someone else...

I stumbled to my feet while my vision blurred at the edges, spots of color coming into my vision as I moved.... Has my drug-addled brain finally snapped?

Wait.... I've been on drugs.... I've had sex.... for money.... for drugs...

I feel my neck moving and I'm suddenly gazing up at the sky... It's a pretty shade of grey.....

[BG="darkgray"]Like the color of death settling into a body.... [/BG]

Oh... hey.... I'm hungry again...

.... Oh... I have meat right next to me.... but it smells a little... off...

Am I having food poisoning?... well... not much I can do about it, I guess....

I start eating more of the meat, but I hear a voice in my head suddenly telling me that I needed to stop. Right now.

Why do I suddenly feel like....

I need to.....

It comes to me like it's natural... it is natural... I reach out to the meat and put it back with the body.... and then I kiss the corpse's lips before sinking my teeth into them...

I taste the tang of blood.... and then I feel like.... something is going into the body... something that was in me....

A switch is
flicked

Something moves in the putrid pile of flesh and I watch it with curious eyes.... Blood pours out of it anew... Something gurgled out a groan.... oh... it's alive now...

Then I saw it.... what was coming out of the raw and jagged edges of flesh?

Was that.... stuffing?

Oh.... it's ok, it's just... getting cuddlier...

It crawls towards me,

and then falls apart...

It was a nice try....

Oh.... hey... its head looks like it belongs on a stuffed animal rabbit...

But it's all bloodstained and ugly...

Ah well, I can always try again...

I pull the odd horror's head into my lap, and stroke its plush and soft fur.... feeling the long ears... The rest of the body was a weird, strange mesh of flesh and cotton, stuffing and blood... It looked like the kind of toy that Jack the Ripper would play with.

I feel myself smile....

Rory would be proud of me... I learned to do something new... maybe even Kitti would be happy! I'd have to show them... But not until I can do it again... perfect it....

A dead body.... does not make a good plushie... especially since I had eaten and dismembered it...

It had tried to stitch itself back together, but the threads had all snapped.... some of the flesh was too dead to make it work... Living tissue would transform with no problem...

I stroke the head, holding it to my naked body as I grinned, suddenly laughing....

and laughing.... and then... I try again.

"I can.... I can speak... this is amazing! I CAN SPEAK!" I feel myself shouting the last part, squeezing the plush head to my body... something snaps and cracks inside, and blood is suddenly seeping from it....

But before I have time to think about it, some body opens a window above me. I feel something hit my head...

They threw a SHOE at me... and then told me to keep quiet!

....If I wasn't so happy, I'd want to go up there and try my new ability out on that... that...

that meanie poo head!

....This is so much better than drugs...

Wait... am I on drugs? is this a hallucination?... I know my drug dealer will probably come by at the end of the day... I'm on his route... maybe he'll tell me if I'm seeing things...

All I know... is I suddenly feel great...

Wait... He's never heard me talk! I can actually talk to my drug dealer now! Just the concept of that fills me with glee.

So I sit at the mouth of the alley, with the horror of a body next to me, with the bleeding bunny head in my lap, naked and with the biggest grin on my face as I wait for him to come by.

I turn to the body at some point, looking it over, then I decide that I have to name it.

"I'm gonna name you..... Stuffing!" I cry out happily...

Oh hey, now I have a pair of shoes! That idiot actually threw the other one at me now!

I put them on Stuffing's feet and wait patiently for my dealer. I wonder how he's going to react to me being able to talk! I can't wait to actually have a conversation with him! With anyone!

Over the last few nights the Inquisition had put four pins in a map, and it was now Natalie's job to deal with them.

First the explosion in Pon Alley, shortly after Asmodeus's arrival was called in. Someone had clearly engineered his escape from the kill teams. A search of the rubble had found remote charges, shaped by hand, the chemical mix suggesting some pretty expensive resources. Not your average kitchen-cupboard terrorist. The local net also showed evidence of hacking in the CCTV, but the tech boys were still chasing that lead. It had inside job written all over it, but that was only Natalie's theory.

Then there was the Cbox. She had just come back from dealing with that particular shitstorm. Five dead, an illegal daemonic invocation, and eye-witness reports of Asmodeus fleeing the scene with followers in tow. The ISAF had carted the Warmaster off and put him back on standby, but as far as they could see the diagnostics all checked out. The terminator hadn't malfunctioned. It had entered the Cbox on a Class 2 Sigma Protocol, which could only mean one thing. There had been a Council member inside the neutral zone and under threat. For the first time in 18 years the Holmgard Truce had been violated. The Vikings and the Council were now in frantic talks trying to resolve the issue.

Then the murder of Lieutenant Antonucci, which had brought Natalie out into the field in the first place. Most people at head office didn't give a shit if a soldier turned up dead, but Natalie wasn't most people. She followed the leads that the other cops didn't and took the hard cases even when her colleagues gave her shit for it. It was a paricular and delicate taste - the thrill of a hard won arrest - and these cases always involved the more interesting of violators. This particular murder, in public parklands near the Convent, had all the markings of an Unregistered with inside help. All locals with Guardian weapon training had been questioned, with the exception of one Mr Zypher, who as fate would have it just so happened to live one floor down from the fourth pin in the Inquisition's map...

The biggest shitstorm of all. The Medusa Murder. A man found petrified in his own apartment and the other tenants whispering of ghosts and angels. Professional Mentors had been called in to brainwash the neighbours, and Ocha was doing her part to discredit Asmodeus, but the fact still remained that there was something out there which had turned a man to stone and vanished like smoke.

And the fact still remained that Natalie was under orders to find this thing.

Waving her Inquisitor's Seal at the Bread Priests, the detective strode through the Hall of Hunger and pushed aside the grovelling peasants and weeping mothers who barred her way. Another two guards parted to allow her into the west corridor, its silence as stifling as the commotion in the first hall. Watched by the bloodshot gazes of patrolling zealots, Natalie continued through the vaulted passage and turned sharply to the fourth door on the left. She looked up at the crow-helm of a tall, gangly priest draped in white and gold. Their stares battled for a few seconds and then the priest gave way, unlocking the door of the cell into which Natalie stepped.

There was darkness at first, then pale light as the priest behind her lit a candle. In the gloom she moved towards Spammy, her scarred face devoid of all compassion.

"Inquisitor Natalie. Tell me everything you know of the Medusa. I will not ask again."

What possibly could go wrong had happened, an old law by which Pirogeth should have followed. He lost the one person who gave him a little power, he failed to break free of this constant control the High Councilman had him under, and now he has had to drag two innocents along with him. Perhaps by the end of the day he could be called a deviant and be dancing a polka at a bar and grill for cash. Before his loop of manic depression could cloud his judgment much further a familiar voice called out from down the hallway he was standing in. Weavel started to race down the hallway and caught up with Pirogeth. "What's up?" Pirogeth questioned. The Asylum Representative smiled before continuing their walk.
"Just glad to see you are alright. Council looked to harp on you big time, but you managed to escape."
"If anything kept me from being sacked it was more that they need me than my testimony." Pirogeth paused for a moment and thought about the whole situation. "Weavel I want you to keep watch. There should be at least six eyes left on the boarder if the ISAF have not destroyed anymore. Numbers six through twelve." Weavel gave a nod. "Good, please accompany me back home, I have a few guests waiting there."

-Cult Quarter

From what Piroko could tell, she had been blind folded, brought to the headquarters, and fell asleep. After all she was pretty exhausted after last night's events. Though the tattered curtains of her room did not welcome any light besides the city's. Off in the distance she could see the powerful beaming lights of the constant hot spots. Sitting back down on her bed Piroko began to think about the situation. Following these shifters for awhile would not be so bad, and might even bring her back into contact with Pirogeth.
"Yeah right. He is being held by a leash." She commented to herself. The next best thing for her to do was get out of bed and start plotting some way to disrupt not only the control over Pirogeth but herself as well. She tried to exit the room but two shifter guards, or at least from what she could were guards, stopped her. "Is this any way to treat a guest and a lady at that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.