Is Social Media Destroying Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it ridiculous how so many people really think that things like phones and text messaging and instant messaging and social media is "destroying communication". Like... all of these things exist to facilitate communication, which should be obvious just from their names alone. It's a different form of communication, yes, but it's still communication. And, as many here have already stated, they allow a lot of us to keep up with others in ways that wouldn't otherwise be possible without this kind of technology.

I think for me though, that I cannot tell people's tone through text or through messages. I do not like text for communication because it takes tone out completely. For me, when I say it destroys communication is that it's caused a lot of issues in the past. Because in the past, I misunderstand something because I don't get the context. At least in actual communication, I can hear the tone, there are cues I look for, and exaggerate on to help me socialize. If it's important or something I really want to say, No I don't want to talk to you on Facebook or text you. I seek personal communication. I seek face to face or a phone call.

I think for me though, that I cannot tell people's tone through text or through messages. I do not like text for communication because it takes tone out completely. For me, when I say it destroys communication is that it's caused a lot of issues in the past. Because in the past, I misunderstand something because I don't get the context. At least in actual communication, I can hear the tone, there are cues I look for, and exaggerate on to help me socialize. If it's important or something I really want to say, No I don't want to talk to you on Facebook or text you. I seek personal communication. I seek face to face or a phone call.
I agree that it's limited and that it can cause misunderstandings, but that doesn't mean it's "destroying communication" in general. If you want face-to-face communication, seek face-to-face communication. If you'd rather call someone than text them, then communicate and tell them why you dislike texting and that you'd rather call them.

Some people surely have their own reasons for preferring texting. I, for example, find it a lot more convenient, and I feel more comfortable having a private conversation via text than via a phone call, which is why I'll try texting people by default. But if I'm having a hard time understanding someone, and I feel like I really need to speak to them about something important, then I'll call them. The fact that texting exists does not mean that phone calls do not exist. Texting is just an alternative that people have now. You can still talk to people face-to-face if you feel the need.

And honestly, aside from people preferring text messaging and social media for convenience, I can't think of a single way that the existence of social media actually prevents people from communicating face-to-face. Like I said, the people who appear to be glued to their phones aren't being anti-social, because if they didn't have their phones, they probably wouldn't be conversing at all, as they aren't physically with the people they're trying to communicate with. If you are capable of physically talking to someone, then do so. The existence of cell phones does not stop you from doing so.

And if they're still looking down at their phones and that's bothering you, then communicate and tell them that it's annoying you and that you want them to pay attention to you when you're talking. (Or, if you don't want to be as blunt, a simple "...are you listening?" should work for most conversations. If you're actually talking about something really serious, then I think asking them to put their phone away wouldn't be too absurd of a request.)

"Could you clarify what you mean? I'm not sure and from my perspective, you just said [blank]. Am I misinterpreting?"

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Pahn
"Could you clarify what you mean? I'm not sure and from my perspective, you just said [blank]. Am I misinterpreting?"

I tend to ask this, but they tend to use the same words, and I still don't understand. Last night some guy called me dumb, because I couldn't understand what he was saying. Sooo....yeah

I tend to ask this, but they tend to use the same words, and I still don't understand. Last night some guy called me dumb, because I couldn't understand what he was saying. Sooo....yeah
Then I'd say that's a problem with the people, not the medium.

Aaaaaand that's thread, ladies and gentlemen.

i still think it does kill communication. face to face is better for people, unless you don't live near them

i still think it does kill communication. face to face is better for people, unless you don't live near them
Face to face is better for some people. I would have basically zero human interaction without the internet/social media. It's enabled me to meet great people and communicate when I would be otherwise unable to.

Face to face is better for some people. I would have basically zero human interaction without the internet/social media. It's enabled me to meet great people and communicate when I would be otherwise unable to.
As much as I agree with that. I realize how much internet has destroyed my communication face to face and my relationships with people. Because I am not well socially integrated with the rest of the world

As much as I agree with that. I realize how much internet has destroyed my communication face to face and my relationships with people. Because I am not well socially integrated with the rest of the world
I would argue that this is mostly a personal problem and not a problem with the prevalence of social media. The only thing you can do to improve your interpersonal skills is practice - and be forward. If you feel like someone is ignoring you for their phone, then say so. Kaga-kun already mentioned this. You need to let people know what you need if you want to get anything out of an interaction. Communication skills need to be learned, and you can't put the blame for that solely on other people.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Pahn and Kagayours
Status
Not open for further replies.