Is it okay to constantly make fun of something someone else genuinely likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed we were talking about, like, I dunno... people's favorite TV shows and video games, or celebrities that they really like.
That's what I assumed as well to be honest. Although even in something serious like politics and other such issues, making fun etc isn't really the way to go. Maybe discussion instead.

Oh... I didn't realize we were talking about political ideologies and the like. o.o I assumed we were talking about, like, I dunno... people's favorite TV shows and video games, or celebrities that they really like.

I suppose political stances might be a bit different... hm... I'll have to think more on this question, then.
I think we are applying it to both really.

I for one do not see how I was not simply offering a statement as to what a number of unsavory characters say. I in no way disagreed with any opinions in this thread, other than just now in regards to your opinion that I am doing anything actually wrong.

So before you run around with rude remarks to individuals, perhaps you should stop fabricating insult and argument where there is none.
Comparing a person to racists and homophobes is hardly a neutral thing to say. Coming out with that statement just by itself, hardly seemed like a desire to be constructive. Perhaps you didn't mean it as such, but you can see how that is easily misconstrued.

I think we are applying it to both really.
Both.

1- Never talk about politics or Religion: It's just another way people seek to have their beliefs/political stance validated.
2- Another rule Mom always taught me: If you have nothing nice to say, Say nothing at all.
3- It's already been said, still a great rule to go by: Treat others as you would like to be treated.
4- If someone tells you it hurts them to pick on them about x,y,z. Stop it. Don't ever do it again. Ever.
5- If someone is hurting your feelings, SPEAK UP. Let that person how it makes you feel, and ask them to stop.
6- If they fail to stop, walk away. Don't reward people for disrespecting your feelings.
7- When in doubt-- shut yo mouth.

That's what I assumed as well to be honest. Although even in something serious like politics and other such issues, making fun etc isn't really the way to go. Maybe discussion instead.

That's called satire sir. And I am the king of satire.

Ah ^_^ I just take things at face value mostly.

Unfortunately, people cannot handle face value. I'm sorry I have yet to meet a single individual who can take me as honestly as I am. I am laid bared. I speak my mind and am extremely passionate in my points of view. But people can barely take me as authentically as me.

I find that sometimes, the best way to tell the truth is through comedy. I mean look at what a lot of comedians do. They make fun of subjects, that are considered too hard to discuss for some people and speak some kind of truth through humor.

I think humor and jokes do bring up some points because they can get you to look at a subject in a different way.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Hmm... I guess I could understand that, seeing I married into a satirical family that tend to poke fun at everything ^_^' I guess it depends on each individual. I find it hard to joke about things I'm passionate about.

Hmm... I guess I could understand that, seeing I married into a satirical family that tend to poke fun at everything ^_^' I guess it depends on each individual. I find it hard to joke about things I'm passionate about.
I'm the opposite there. I can find a way to laugh about nearly anything, whether I care about it or don't. I don't like having sacred cows and I try to sweep them away so that I won't get offended when people merely question or mock something I like. Keep a firm line in the sand between "me" and "things I like" if that makes any sense.

I'm the opposite there. I can find a way to laugh about nearly anything, whether I care about it or don't. I don't like having sacred cows and I try to sweep them away so that I won't get offended when people merely question or mock something I like. Keep a firm line in the sand between "me" and "things I like" if that makes any sense.

I agree with this notion. I was born with the very idea that "everything and anything can be made fun of, and nothing is off limits" So I even make fun of myself or even my own ideas or my opinions. Such as saying something like, "oh no guys here I am with a pretentious opinion of my own". Because it actually, ironically enough, defuses any tension of the argument.

When you don't approach a subject by making fun of it, only just a little, it can turn a discussion into something very heavy. I make fun of all the things I believe and think about. Because to be perfectly honest no one has the right answer. And perception is your reality. And your reality paints your perception of the world.

But then again, I also was born and raised in Liverpool, England. So I am not quite as American as some other folks. So I grew up with Monty Python and I grew up with comedy that took poking jabs at themselves, at the world, at the way we views things, etc.

If I am passionate enough about it, I make even more fun of it, because I am just being that pretentious guy.

It's probably naive of me, but I grew up in a very politically correct manner, from home as well as school, and it's carried on in adulthood. Basically to treat things with respect and take others into consideration. But that's just me and I don't expect people to be the same lol. The world's made up of different sort of people and we need all kinds.

Hm... I realize that probably sounded like I don't think people who do poke fun are respectful and considerate XD That's not what I mean though. Just that different people look at things in different ways, like mentioned above.

It's probably naive of me, but I grew up in a very politically correct manner, from home as well as school, and it's carried on in adulthood. Basically to treat things with respect and take others into consideration. But that's just me and I don't expect people to be the same lol. The world's made up of different sort of people and we need all kinds.

Well I despise the whole politically correct nature. And I am completely rebellious counter culture against it. Lol.

Totally depends on a lot of things.

My ex and I used to have a banter where I'd insist FMA was the best anime, and he'd say no, Bleach is. I'd tell him bleach was dumb and he was dumb for liking it, he'd say at least Ichigo has all his libs, etc. It was fine because
  1. Both of us knew the other didn't actually think differently of them because of liking a show
  2. We never got serious and actually picked apart story flaws, compared animation quality, etc.
  3. Neither of us had a super strong emotional bond with the thing
  4. Similarly, we never actually got bitchy or upset if the other person was watching their show, giggling over its fanfiction etc
  5. Similar vein, in the above scenario we laid off the banter and let the other person enjoy their thing
  6. It wasn't constant
  7. It only happened in a lighthearted tone and mood

I think if any of these were false, it would run the risk of getting old or fostering resentment.

In the case of where someone is into something that you really, really don't like it vice versa, I think it's best to just not discuss it that much. It's fine to explain calmly and reasonably why you don't like it if they ask (provided you are also willing to listen to the reason they do like it) so that you understand each other, but beyond that I don't see the point of continuing to criticize it to them. You're not going to change their mind, and even if you did (assuming the thing isn't hurting anyone) what would be the point?

Last edited:
It depends really. Light jabs and the occasional humorous remark is fine granted you don't take it overboard, especially if it's with someone you're not friends with. Criticisms are always welcome, no matter how perfect something is, it's not exempt from critiques, and I feel it's a bit of a push and pull between the critic and the fan.

What is really not acceptable to me, is some one hating on a person liking a thing they don't like, it's kinda pathetic really, especially when they constantly belittle them over and over and over and over again.

It costs nothing to be respectful of people's tastes, it can cost a potential friendship for being an arrogant smug wanker though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It costs nothing to be respectful of people's tastes, it can cost a potential friendship for being an arrogant smug wanker though.
Agreed.

• Love
Reactions: Minibit
To answer this fully there's a few categories I feel the need to cover.

I think in a public forum all bars should be (effectively) off. You're entering the open marketplace of ideas, express whatever views and opinions you wish. Just don't be surprised then if people suddenly turn around and call you out on them. If it's private? Try your best to respect the individual(s) sensitivities, but if this is resulting in you not be able to really be yourself you should probably look at limiting the time spent around such individuals. However this all assuming that...

You Separate General Opinion to Specific Opinions
In other words, talk about how much you don't like Donald Trump, Religion, Feminism etc. all you like. But don't be a generalizing ass hole who treats others badly just for being associated to or liking X (something I've seen a lot of people here do to Donald Trump supporters btw). You're free to disagree with that part of them, but the second you are attacking people for a difference of opinions is when you lose credibility.

Is it Serious, or in jest?
Exception to something being aimed at an individual (sometimes) is humour. If you and the other person appreciate offensive humour then go at it. If the other doesn't, then I like I said above try to respect their boundaries, but you probably should also consider finding people you can relate to better.

Don't concern yourself with people offended on behalf of X
This is something I occasionally run into with offensive humour with friends. The friend is completely fine with it, but other people then start to get offended and/or defensive on their behalf. This is honestly unavoidable, if the recipient is ok with it but the observer is offended any ways then they are looking to get offended, there's not much point in trying to respect or appease it. That being said, I've been this person before too, so I wouldn't suggest simply going "Fuck off, get a spine!". Still be respectful, try to explain how it's a joke both you and the recipient are ok with. Cause maybe you caught them on a bad day, they read too deep into something or they're just being protective of someone they care about.

Reactions: Greenie
No, I think it's inherently rude. If you have a kind of friendship where you can tease people about something in a way that doesn't sink your teeth into them, it's fine. But don't overdo it, you'd be surprised how easily and quickly a joke gets old. You can voice that you don't really like something and move on, leaving each other to enjoy your own likes and dislikes.

I have a 'friend' that constantly berates my other friends and I for liking 'My Little Pony'. At first, we shrugged it off, knowing that the friend wasn't a fan and tried to move on. Instead of letting it go, every conversation my other friends and I were having about MLP, she'd chime in and tell us just how stupid the show was, and how idiotic we were for liking it. We confronted her about how obnoxious it was and she laughed and told us that she didn't care, that she thought it was a stupid show. We told her that we accepted her opinion but to kindly stop butting in and saying stupid shit about something she didn't like. She didn't get the point that she was becoming more and more intrusive, and it got to the point where none of us were even able to utter a word about MLP around her because of how badly she hassled us about it. She had other people she could have talked to, we didn't exclude her from other conversations. It was that we were talking about MLP, she wasn't interested in it and should have left well enough alone without making a complete ass of herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.