Introducing the Miscellaneous Iwaku Storytelling Contest: A Brush With Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet! I want to participate in this opening contest, but I probably have to focus on my other stuff this month. ;-;

Reactions: Jorick
Entries need to be original works created for this contest specifically, not something you wrote in the past. They also must be your own work because plagiarism is against site rules and defeats the entire purpose of the contest.
I'm guessing using old characters is alright though? Or should everything be brand spanking new?

@Sarokhor suggested I try this out, and I think I will! I have the vaguest of ideas!

Reactions: Jorick and Sarokhor
Heh... am I the only one who's entered, so far?

Can we submit entries with accompanying media, ie pictures or music or whatever? And, although I'm pretty sure this is super-unlikely, if posting a drama, can we submit a version where the script is already acted out, or already drawn into comic form? I'm probably not gonna submit anything involving all this, but still, good to know's good to know.

Lol there's no real reason to announce ourselves, that just gives an idea of the competition xP

That there bolded part is exactly the reason...

Can we submit entries with accompanying media, ie pictures or music or whatever? And, although I'm pretty sure this is super-unlikely, if posting a drama, can we submit a version where the script is already acted out, or already drawn into comic form? I'm probably not gonna submit anything involving all this, but still, good to know's good to know.
Not a mod but I'm going to guess no to all of this. It's supposed to be a writing contest, not a multi-media project.

Reactions: Sir Basil
I'm guessing using old characters is alright though? Or should everything be brand spanking new?
Old characters is totally fine, so long as the story is a original piece made for the contest.
Heh... am I the only one who's entered, so far?
Nope. :D
Well, for the first question, this is actually something I did not consider and will discuss with Kitti and Astaroth. HerziQuerzi brings up a good point about multi-media versus writing, but I know a lot of people really enjoy putting images or songs in their roleplay posts and such. I'll get back to you on this one.

As for the second question, no. It's a writing contest, not a comic-making or acting/directing contest. Written work accompanied with images or music for a little extra flavor is one thing, but shifting it around to the image/video being the main attraction makes it a different beast entirely.

• Thank You
Reactions: Greenie
Old characters is totally fine, so long as the story is a original piece made for the contest.
Awesome, thanks!

*gets to planning*

Well, for the first question, this is actually something I did not consider and will discuss with Kitti and Astaroth. HerziQuerzi brings up a good point about multi-media versus writing, but I know a lot of people really enjoy putting images or songs in their roleplay posts and such. I'll get back to you on this one.
Okay, the official ruling is in: no images or music. It's a writing contest, so give us your writing and nothing more! Text formatting is still allowed. The rules pertaining to BBCode formatting has been updated to reflect this.

• Love
I think I'll try my hand at this, but I have a question.

Can Writing Prompt A deal with this concept from the viewpoint of multiple characters? What I mean is, say, a protagonist dealing with death of something for the first time, and a deuteragonist experiencing the death of another something. Or is Writing Prompt A dealing exclusively with a single character, ie the protagonist.

I am also using "death" in a more abstract sense, like the end of a era.

Reactions: Sir Basil
Can we write retellings, and or fan-based works? Like, our own version of Actaeon's death, or perhaps of Semele's death, or, fine, of Finn losing his arm, of Steven learning about his mother shattering Pink Diamond -- or do the stories have to be completely original, or set in completely original worlds, with completely original characters? Or did I miss a read?

Question two: if we're not allowed to publish works, are we at least allowed to pm our work to some offsite friends, in order to get some help editing? And speaking of involving friends, are collaborative works allowed?

Question three: Is there a confirmation reply that you received our entry and it fits the requirements?

I think I'll try my hand at this, but I have a question.

Can Writing Prompt A deal with this concept from the viewpoint of multiple characters? What I mean is, say, a protagonist dealing with death of something for the first time, and a deuteragonist experiencing the death of another something. Or is Writing Prompt A dealing exclusively with a single character, ie the protagonist.

I am also using "death" in a more abstract sense, like the end of a era.
Abstract and unorthodox interpretations of the prompts are perfectly fine. Multiple versions of a prompt being used is also fine. Go for it. :D
Can we write retellings, and or fan-based works? Like, our own version of Actaeon's death, or perhaps of Semele's death, or, fine, of Finn losing his arm, of Steven learning about his mother shattering Pink Diamond -- or do the stories have to be completely original, or set in completely original worlds, with completely original characters? Or did I miss a read?
Urgh, here's another one we didn't discuss, which is a huge oversight. Since we're already over a week into the submission period this month and some people may already be working on such things and I don't want to arbitrarily make their work invalid, I'm gonna go ahead and say retellings and fan-based works are fine. As long as your writing is your own and not someone else's work then it's all good, retell that story or make a fanfic type thing as you like.
Question two: if we're not allowed to publish works, are we at least allowed to pm our work to some offsite friends, in order to get some help editing? And speaking of involving friends, are collaborative works allowed?
As long as they're not going to then come and vote for your story, getting help from other people is all good. For a similar reason to the above answer, I'll also say collaborative works are okay, but again no cheeky unfair voting allowed and prizes will only be going to the person who submits the entry.

Thanks for these two questions and bringing to light a couple holes in our cleverly constructed rules, by the way, no sarcasm intended. This is very helpful and I'll be sure we add some specific notes about these things to the rules for future contests.
Question three: Is there a confirmation reply that you received our entry and it fits the requirements?
Yes. If you've submitted an entry and haven't gotten a reply then we haven't gotten around to looking it over yet.

• Thank You
Reactions: RiverNotch
I am currently trying hard not to squeal out loud. But DAMN this puts some very lovely light on my currently gloomy day! I am PSYCHED! Hopefully I will be able to enter, but if not, well, I love voting. :bsmile:
greenie!! You must write one! We both should!

Status
Not open for further replies.