Into the Woods

"It's not that I'm so worried about you 'taking up' my time. I mean, I have a few things to do that the others didn't get to yesterday in my absence, but..." Bella explained, or rather started to. In trying to find the right words with which to respond to Ben's erroneous statement, she became tongue-tied. She squinted at him, unsure of whether or not to even take his words seriously. After a moment spent over-thinking the possibility that he was only messing with her, she recovered with a smile. "Don't be silly. If I thought for even a second that it was going to be a problem, I wouldn't have come along." Even though she said that, the ride back consisted of much awkward silence.

"You don't need to apologize." She assured softly to his apology, stealing a glance at Ben out of the corner of her eye. "To be honest, there's not really much about Valford that I loved for itself." Bella offered a sheepish smile. "The house I grew up in, the garden, the smell of the ocean - sure. I mean, life in Valford was happy; but even without parties and more dresses than I could ever wear, life in Esterwell is just as happy." The words sounded well enough, still she hoped that she didn't come off as cliché. Then panic washed over her at the realization of what she'd just said. To dismiss those things like that, the very things that were the subject of conversation only minutes ago, it was like she had just told him that she didn't appreciate all the trouble he was going to on her account.

"O-of course, that's not to say that I don't appreciate you- er- this! Parties in Esterwell are actually quite enjoyable!" Bella corrected hastily with a nervous chuckle. His expression was difficult for her to read. Was the smirk out of humor or something else? She kept her mouth shut the remainder of the ride back, lest she say something else that would make her sound like an ingrate.

The remainder of the afternoon passed much as it always did, except that it was a tad busier with the impending party. With no real need to stock up on firewood and the stables clean, Bella busied herself with helping Celine clean up inside. The house needed to be as spotless as possible before they left, as surely there would be no time after returning home later that night. She was dusting the parlor when the knocks came at the door.

"Bevin. What..?" Bella was surprised to see the familiar bespectacled young man that she knew as Ben's work associate from dinner some nights ago. More surprisingly, he carried a package addressed to her. Her copper brows furrowed and she looked at him suspiciously. She didn't need to ask who it was from; there could only be one sender. The question was, what was it? She thanked him before closing the door and took the package back to the parlor. Plucking the envelope from the top, she read the invitation first.

"Better tailors?" She puzzled over it a moment. Upon opening the package, she let out a shriek. It was arguable whether the shriek came of surprise or vexation for she felt a mixture of both. There was quite a bit of fuss over the dress and, for all her insistence that she would return it, Bella wound up standing in it for a good hour while Celine adjusted it. They set out for the Perryweather Inn as the sun started its slow descent. Lucinda greeted them at the door in her usual merry way, more than glad to see the guest of honor.

"Wherever did ya' go runnin' off to? Ya' sent ev'ryone into a right tizzy lookin' fer ya'." The innkeeper had said, to which Bella apologized for causing so much trouble. Lucinda only smiled and shook her head. "Well, no use worryin' 'bout that now. We're all just glad yer home. Come along inside and say hello to ev'ryone. Young Mr. Carthwright spent a great deal o' th' day settin' th' place up." She placed a hand on Bella's shoulder and ushered her gently and excitedly through the door followed by her sister and brother and father.

Bella couldn't help but boggle at the glorious confusion that was once the homey inn. Most of the tables had been moved to make room in the tavern for all of the guests to mingle. Those that remained were covered in fine white tablecloths with blue embroidery in the shapes of birds and flowers. Each bore a centerpiece of blue and white larkspurs and votive candles in glass jars that sparkled in the golden light of the flames like new-fallen snow. They cast tiny bubbles of light that gave the room a dreamy ambiance. From the light fixtures was carefully draped shimmering webs of organza. Over the hearth was a "Welcome Home" banner. On the bar was laid out an assortment of bread and sweet butter, pies, fruits, jellies, roast meats, as well as punch, cider, and tea. Some fiddlers had brought their fiddles, so there was music.

It was quite a lot to take in and it made one wonder just how Ben had managed all of this over the course of only an afternoon. Her amber eyes drifted from one place to another before settling on the hem of her blue dress. It occurred to her, albeit slowly, that she matched the decorations. It would undoubtedly be difficult to miss the fact that this whole arrangement was for her. She spotted the mastermind at once and approached him with purpose; yet as she looked into his eyes, that sense of purpose left her. She opened her mouth to speak only to close it again.

"It all looks great." Bella said finally, unsure of exactly what she wanted to say. "You really didn't have to go to all of this trouble on my behalf."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: marcy
Musical notes drifted all around the young Carthwright as he entertained one group of guests after the other, a majority of them being his daily patrons. He wouldn't dare admit it, but the young man was clearly ecstatic. "Whats got you so chipper, Benjamin?" - "My, you are lively as ever, Mr. Cartwright!" - "Who in the Kings name lit a fire under your arse?" Now, the shopkeeper had maintained a respectable reputation with the townsfolk of Esterwell since the day he arrived, always being attentive and friendly despite his seemingly incurable boredom as a thriving business owner. There were many days he nearly dreamed of something along the lines of a robbery or fire, just for the thrill of the experience, however he was not so jaded with work that he should wish harm on others or his business. (that is not to say the idea would not cross his mind.)

Maybe Bella was just that genuine and humble, once you took the time to get to know her. Or shes just terrible when it comes to idle gossip and all that tittle-tattle. Either way, she always had a passive charm about her. It was naturally pure too and stuck to her like salt to seawater.

Everyone at the party mingled around merrily, seeing as word spread quite fast that the new folks at the edge of the woods were missing their youngest lamb. Their arrival brought the old rumors of the haunted woods back in tandem with the daily townsfolk hearsay, but as time went on those rumors died down and quickly debunked by doubters. That was of course until Bella ended up missing. By the second day nobody would dare step foot near the woods. Now she was home and nobody knew what to think, but Bella was safe and that was all that mattered at the end of the day.

Now, whether the guests were there to celebrate Bella's return or were lured there by Ben with free food and drink was a true mystery. However, as soon as she stepped through the door wearing a dress that looked to be worth more than all their most valuable possessions combined, she left quite an enchanting air about her. The guests spoke of this in hushed tones, noting how her outfit matched the lavish decorations, not in an ill-manner, more out of shock and awe as the word around town was the Montagne's were a humble bunch. A group of young women not so older than Bella huddled together, enthusing over how one of them had seen her and Ben walking together at the market earlier that day. As she approached the merchant they quickly scattered to spread the word, despite them being the most engrossed over the subject.

"I knew you would say that, which is why I did." Ben responded acutely to Bella's protest. He had made an effort to be just as methodical and pragmatic courting her as he was at maintaining his business, not that those two things were anything alike. All that flew out the window upon Bella's disappearance. The young Carthwright had never acted so impulsive in his life, but as he spent the afternoon preparing the party he expected Bella to be overwhelmed, seeing as she preferred music, animals and stories over luxurious squandering.

Ben raised his cup, gesturing towards the bar, then focused on Bella. "Every time you run off, I'll throw a party for your return. You ought to stay here with us! Unless you like parties more than you let on, hmm?" On cue, Bevin appeared to whisk away his associate. They both expected Bella to feel ironically out of place and style, despite hailing from the big city. "You look great!" Bevin said cheerfully. "The blue looks good on you, especially with that hair of yours. Erm, Ben, we're running low on fruits and cider. Could you help me with a fresh batch?" Ben nodded and turned to Bella, "You look amazing. I'll be right back. Give us a chance, yeah? We're a lot more down to earth than folks in Valford." With that, he and Bevin made their way towards the bar. A couple of the shops customers arrived just after the guest of honor and greeted the two young men as they made for the humble buffet.

"My, my, look what the bat dragged in." A condescending voice abruptly made itself present from behind Bella. "Or should I say out?" The girl couldn't have been a day older than Bella, she leaned to the side as she faced the guest of honor, resting her weight on her hip. As the strange girl waited for Bella to turn around, she took a bite out of what must have been the juiciest apple in the basket, her razor sharp teeth strikingly evident as she did so. She wasn't one to talk with her mouth full and gulped down her fruit hastily as she looked Bella over from head to toe, as if she were admiring a painting. "And here I thought royalty had stooped down a level. My, my." She continued eating, not taking her eyes off the guest of honor, doing well not to acknowledge any questions or retorts from Bella. "I would kill for a dress like that."

The girl began this hellacious giggle, it felt like a century had passed as her giggling transformed into a sinister cackle that even turned a few nearby heads for a second. She tossed the half eaten apple onto the floor and continued to ignore any response that Bella would give, choosing instead to obviously muse about her presence directly in front of her. Eventually, after what felt like an eternity, she finally addressed the guest of honor. "Say, Mephala was right. You must be special to sleep in the princess' bedroom." Her condescending tone made itself apparent all of a sudden. "To think big old Henry had the nerve to throw you in the dungeon. Shame. On. Him."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ashi
"But.." Bella started to object only to fall silent. Would it sound terribly ungrateful to insist that there was no need of Ben's making such a fuss over her? Her gaze wandered sideways and she fidgeted with the pendant. It returned to Ben only when Bevin approached and she offered a small smile and murmured a word of thanks. It was quite obvious that, whether the two had intended it or not, they had far exceeded their expectations. Bella felt terribly out of place. She didn't like being the center of attention, to have people talking about her right before her eyes as if she wasn't there. It was embarrassing and it showed in the deepening flush of color on her cheeks.

"O-okay.." Some part of her wished that he wouldn't leave, that he would stay and distract her from herself - protect her from everyone else. "Protect?" This hit the redhead with an unpleasant jolt, causing her to frown. What kind of foolishness was she thinking? "I'll have to tell him. No more parties." Bella heaved a sigh, watching the flame of the candle she stood in front of dance. She turned, torn from her musing by an obnoxious voice, to see a young woman of red hair.

Her hair wasn't red in the sense that her own was; it was an unnatural red, almost the color of blood. Her pale skin and red eyes reminded Bella of the Prince; although, hers didn't seem as sickly pale. Had she been there when Bella and her family arrived? She couldn't recall seeing her; and her countenance would be difficult to miss in any crowd, especially in a place like Esterwell. Bella's eyes narrowed slowly with each word the woman spoke. Then, she saw them; her teeth! They were sharp, just like-- "Is.. is she a..?" A tremor of fear turned her stomach. Just who was she?

"I know who she reminds me of.. Elizabeth. Who would have thought there would be a personality like hers in Esterwell?" Elizabeth was a girl Bella had been somewhat acquainted with back in Valford. She had a penchant for gossiping, spreading rumors about even the girls who she called her friends behind their backs. She had a special contempt for the Montagne family, who she referred to as "new money" and "fake society." Bella poured a pot of tea on her lap for her insults. This woman had a similar laugh to hers as well. How annoying.

In spite of the fear and feeling vaguely threatened, anger flashed over Bella's face. Her fists clenched at her sides, the muscles she developed from swinging an axe showed in her exposed arms. Any word she spoke only fell on deaf ears and being ignored only further ignited her fire. The last comment was the final straw. She took a step forward, closing the distance enough that the hems of their skirts mingled.

"I don't know who you are, but you need to leave. Now." Bella spoke through clenched teeth, eyes smoldering. Celine, ever perceptive, had been watching the interaction since the laugh drew her attention and came to stand by her sister.

"Is something the matter, dear?" She asked, placing a hand on Bella's shoulder.

"No..I just need some air." Bella shook her sister's hand away and hastily made her way out the door. Celine only watched, perplexed.

Once outside, Bella's nerve broke and the fear she felt only briefly washed over her entirely. Landon had said to keep the castle and the Prince a secret; and while Bella had told her family only because she could not lie to them when their fates may well be entwined with her own, she had told no one else. How was it possible for that woman to know about them? What else did she know? Was she truly a vampire, too?

Bella swallowed hard and placed her hands on the wall, fighting the urge to be sick. Perhaps she could sneak away and head home? No, she couldn't do that. Ben went to so much trouble; it would be rude to leave, now. The last thing she wanted to do at that moment was go back inside, though. The horses! Visiting Farren always calmed her down in times of stress; she could visit Lucinda's horses.

Rounding the corner of the building, the redhead made her way to the stable. There were other horses, too, that belonged to the patrons of the Perryweather Inn. The one she approached was a docile mare of a light golden color, appropriately named Honey. The horse blinked at her and quivered her nostrils. Bella grabbed a handful of oats from the sack of feed and held it out. Honey happily obliged and Bella stroked her pale mane, humming softly. For a moment, she could almost forget about that woman.

After Bella made her getaway, Celine made her way to the buffet.

"Would you like some help?" She offered the boys with a seraphic smile. "You did a lovely job with the decorations, Ben. Reminds me of the parties we used to throw." A romantic sigh. "The only thing missing is a piano. Of course, there's nothing wrong with violins."

Last edited:
  • Love

"Actually, the decorations were my idea." Bevin joyfully admitted, "You'd be surprised how many people from Esterwell came from the big cities. Word spreads fast in Carthya." The accountant gave a big hearty smile to Celine as Ben plucked one apple after the other from a small crate, placing each one particularly into the couple of fruit baskets so as to look more appealing besides the oranges and such. "Some people prefer tranquil pastures, you know?" Ben perked up as more of his childhood customers waved him over to offer their graces and thanks. Not wanting to falter his energy as a host, he quickly made his way around the bar and shook a mans hand as his wife and children lingered beside them. As they spoke another family approached and they all began to catch up, seeing as Ben was unusually animated.

Bevin nodded toward Celine, his joyful demeanor uninterrupted as he gestured toward the crates of apples on the floor. The fruit baskets were roomy; the crevices of the thick woven fibers did well to protect the contents from the surface below them. They offered no handle and would only seem cheap to anyone who held their values to a certain principle despite the decor. The material of the baskets appeared black due to the dim light of the party but white ceramic plates did well to contrast that and make the humble buffet evident to guests as they arrived.

"Would you mind filling the baskets? You could just slide the crates under the table." With that the accountant leaned pitcher after pitcher over the bar, filling large bowls just a few inches below the brim with tea he thoroughly ensured was not too sweet and not not sweet enough. As he did a previous conversation between Ben and Bevin came to mind from earlier that day just as Bevin returned to the Inn with a cart full of party favors and decorations, the accountant pondered whether Ben had judged his associate superfluously, but chalked it up to just idle chatter, anticipation and the excitement of Bella's return.

"Do well not to go and play match-maker should her family mention my intentions. Today is about Bella, save all that for the mudslinging vultures this town can't seem to get enough of." Bevin chuckled at the idea his boss should think he was out to soil his reputation, after all, when you point the finger you have three more directed back at you. He knew well enough Ben always went the extra mile for people he cared about and was just having some fun. Lord knows he deserves it, as there were worse people with a lot more power and influence than what he had. He laughed again at the fact just moments ago a girl had informed him how she heard of Ben's afternoon brunch with the guest of honor. Surely these "mudslinging vultures" were in abundance.

"What do you think, Celine?" Bevin began, "Is this a little overboard? Say, Lucinda speaks exceptionally high of you all anyways." finally he poured the last of the pitchers tea into the last empty bowl, placing the empty pitcher in a crate underneath the bar. "Trust me, we like getting together here on occasion. Esterwell has a high-society of its own, you know? We just don't like to exclude anybody. Rest assured though, whenever people are prospering, there are always naysayers who want their piece of the cake."

"Hello." all of a sudden, a gentle voice made its source evident. A tall, gaunt woman dressed in all black rounded the bend of the Inn. Her eyes were intensely focused on Bella's. They were just as curious as the strange razor-tooth's eyes were just moments ago. The only unnatural thing about the woman though was the color of her hair. Everything else thankfully seemed human, but with everything that's happened in the past couple of days, anything felt possible. "You must be the guest of honor."

The woman's expression remained oddly blank, but her tone was quite submissive, her body language precise. She nearly towered over Bella, even more so as she approached cautiously. Her robe cut off seamlessly at the waist and looked like more of a skirt, which revealed gracefully long legs wrapped in equally black stockings, which made the material of her equally black boots seem completely invisible if not for their heels.

As the woman approached, the blue gem stitched to the collar of her robe glimmered in the moonlight, unparalleled to Bella's own pendant. "I'm glad to hear you made it home safe. Listen, Bella." She reached into a black satchel attached to her belt for an unusual ring before focusing on Bella once more with a resolute energy about her. A blue gem similar to her own glistened as well upon the steel. Very slowly, so as not to cause alarm, she offered the ring to Bella, encouraging her to accept what was apparently a gift? "Next time you venture into the woods, do well not to forget this, if you value your life." She stood still as an iceberg, waiting for Bella to observe the ring, then vanished. There was a vague shimmering substance that filled the space where the woman stood just seconds ago that evaporated into the air, only visible by the moons light.

Last edited:
  • Love

"Well, then, you have fine taste." Celine complimented with a good-natured laugh. It was really quite clever how he paired the materials and textures. While humble compared to the parties she once knew, Celine could almost guess that he took tips from the best hosts and hostesses in Valford. It reminded her of the tea parties she would throw in her room growing up, where only her younger sister -and perhaps a governess or a maid if they weren't too busy- would attend. They were held in her rose silk hung sitting room with a hand-painted china tea set. She smiled if a little wryly at Ben's words.

"It looks beautiful, Bevin; you should be proud." The blonde slid into the space that Ben previously occupied, picking up an apple to arrange in the basket. "Having attended many a party and grand ball, I wouldn't say that this is overly extravagant. Now, if you were to ask Bella, she might think so; although, whether or not she'd tell you is a different story." Celine smiled humorously, brushing wisps of golden hair from her smoky green eyes. "The older she got, the less she cared for things like parties, even on her own birthday. Our mother was like that, too. She liked small, quaint gatherings with only the family and close friends better than bustling social events." She placed apples and rearranged the fruits in the basket until all the blank spaces were filled; then slid the crate back under the table. She turned then towards the crowd and frowned.

"Hmm.. I guess she hasn't come back in yet?" Celine wondered aloud, unable to spot her sister. Was there something keeping her or could it be that she truly wasn't enjoying the party?

Bella gave a start as the woman's voice broke the quiet night, whirling around to face this new stranger. The woman practically snuck up on her, as her boots made no noise that the redhead could hear. This alone was odd, but the color of her hair was stranger still. It was blue, as blue as the jewel that adorned her black dress. She appeared more or less human, then again, so did the young woman Bella encountered inside; and she clearly wasn't. She bit back a yelp as the mysterious woman moved towards her, leaning back on the stall door. Honey seemed agitated by Bella's fear and stomped and blew unhappily, white showing around her brown eyes.

"You.. are?" The words were a thin, shaking treble. This woman didn't seem hostile, unlike the sharp-toothed one; and Bella relaxed, though only very little. She still tensed when the woman began searching her person for something. Was it a knife perhaps, with which she planned to attack? While she looked lithe like a dancer, it was possible that she was quite strong and that Bella wouldn't stand a chance in fighting her off if it came to that. Wait, was that-? A glint of metal in the moonlight confirmed her suspicion, then proved it completely wrong. The item in her hand was not a knife or any sort of weapon at all; it was a ring, and a beautiful one at that.

"What? For me?" Bella hesitantly reached out a hand for the ring. Why was she giving this to her? What did it have to do with the woods? She looked up at the woman. There were so many questions she wanted to ask, but perhaps she ought to start with: "Who are you?" Alas it was too late. Before the words left her mouth, the woman was gone. In her place was a sparkling cloud of, mist maybe?

"Wait! Who are you!? What is this?!" She called out to no avail. The only answer she received was the uneasy breaths of the horse behind her. "What is going on!?" She yelled, vexed, and stomped her foot. This was all beginning to be too much, or so she thought. Little did she know. With a moment spent considering the trinket in her palm, Bella slid it onto her finger, which it fitted perfectly. Turning finally, she soothed the horse until they were both calm again and made her way back to the party.

"Well, what kept you so long? We were starting to worry." Celine asked, pulling her sister aside as she stepped back through the door.

"Oh, um, I'll tell you later." Bella brushed her off, not intending on telling her family anything about what had happened that night.

As pleasant as the night was, Bella found it difficult to think about anything other than the encounters she had. She tried not to be too obvious about her distraction, even as she participated in the festivities. Who was the Mephala that the red-as-wine-haired young woman had spoken of? Who was the mysterious woman whose hair was as blue as the jewel on the ring she gifted? Why was the ring so important for going into the woods? The woods didn't truly seem so daunting as the stories made them out to be; although, Bella hadn't thought much about them when she was running through them a few days ago. Sure, they were dark and eerily quiet, but that didn't make them dangerous, did it? Perhaps she could ask the Prince when she returned to the castle in two days? Then what answers did she really expect to get from him? It seemed everyone at the castle was keen on keeping their secrets. This might be something she would have to figure out for herself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Off in the distance, down the road leading to the country, it was as if the dark of the night itself stepped into the light of one of the many street lanterns that occupied the cobblestone roads illuminating shops, houses and the like; under one specific lantern was the gaunt woman who had just mysteriously gifted Bella a valuable ring, more valuable than she or most knew. Lights inside most of the houses were still lit as random townsfolk made their way through town either on the sidewalks by foot or accompanied by the light gallop of horses, passing the tall woman indifferently albeit offering a quick glance of her blue hair. Those who lived in the countryside were just arriving to the Perryweather Inn per Ben's invitations via courier, walking passed the tall woman in small groups. Beside her all of a suddenly stood a man who donned a black hood over his head; the prince revealed himself to be in good health. Good physical health, for whatever that was worth. He figured not much.
"How is she?" Jaron asked the woman oddly enough. He made no effort for formal introductions as he sat beside her on the bench. He looked like his old self physically, but there was a dark shadow following his person; the mental anguish of being confined from the world made itself visible all over the boys face, making him seem a lot older than he was, even though he hadn't technically aged a day. Especially because he hadn't aged in the past nine years.

Even though Bella was fully intact the last time he had seen her, not to mention he watched from a distance as she made her way to the stables, he asked about her simply to break the ice. After all, the prince and the mysterious woman in black were the only ones who knew how long it had been since both of them arranged a meeting; it was also Jaron's idea to give Bella the jewelry. "More subtle than a necklace" he figured, hoping she wouldn't lose or sell it. He hadn't quite figured the girl out yet. It was difficult not to resent himself and his heritage for ever having to become acquainted with the forge house commoner in the first place, former aristocrat or not. He couldn't shake the fact she was a child when all this began and couldn't bear to think she would grow old while he remained in the woods, as young as he had been at the start of the decade. It goes without saying the others at Inverness found themselves in the same nightmare.

Jaron considered the woman's silence as an answer in itself; there was an unusual understanding between them. "I can't remember the last time I spoke to anybody that's not in service to the royal family." He confided in the woman, who was fully aware of the Prince's dilemma. It was quite obvious between the two of them, there wasn't much to be said. Just the inevitable doom of death or eternity. "You wouldn't have anything to do with this, would you?"

This time Jaron was hoping for an actual answer, he was more patient with the woman than anyone else and waited; watching momentarily as Bella returned to the party in the distance. They blended in well enough albeit the woman's unusual hair. Jaron turned to face her and she was gone.

"You do hate parties." Ben sort of teased; Bella seemed out of sorts, her mind always seemed to be elsewhere. He didn't regret the whole festivity, but a sense of guilt finally managed to creep its way up the man's spine. It was quickly washed away upon the memory of having been informed of Bella's disappearance. Now, Ben wasn't keen to believe in rumors and hearsay, but there was a reason he never went hunting as much as he used to, that being that there was nothing in the woods to hunt. The nearest game was a day's journey north, towards the capital. That in itself was quite odd, but there was also the incident that began the rumors of monsters to begin with. How a man had lost himself in the woods and then skipped town, but not before making all sorts of commotion.

He couldn't help thinking of how Bella always wanted to immediately dissociate from the subject of her disappearance. The party was supposed to swipe all that under the rug, but Ben could tell the girl wasn't being her usual self, at least from what he gathered during the time he spent with her, like the dinner party they all enjoyed just delightfully. He knew she was shy but, well clearly something was the matter. "This calls for something different," he mused.

The young man waved Bevin over and they huddled beside Bella; Ben imparted something in secret and at once his associate made for the fiddlers, requesting that they play a more
whimsical tune. He then made for the center of the Inn at once in search of Lucinda, suddenly bowing before her gingerly as he offered his hand. "May I have this dance?" He beckoned, with just a perfect hint of sarcasm in his voice. With that the party was in full swing, any and all idle gossip was overcome by boisterous clapping and dancing. Children danced with their parents and each other. Strangers, friends and vice-versa allowed themselves a merry time uninhibited from their selves.

At that, Ben ushered Bella to the pantry where Lucinda kept all her dry goods and ingredients.
"These things can get a little too rowdy when everyone gets together, if you were wondering why we're not serving any alcohol." Ben reached between a couple boxes of ingredients for a bottle of wine that must have been placed there beforehand for him to have known of it. "I was going to wait until it was time to clean up," he mentioned as he handed Bella a wine glass, "but you look like you could use a drink. You must still be settling in." He offered his cheers and leaned against the shelves of produce as he gulped down the entire glass, letting out a sigh as he listened to the sounds of hands clapping and shoes relentlessly slamming on wood. The music could be heard from the pantry. As the wine kicked in Bella's appearance hit Ben like a truck and he couldn't help but start to laugh at himself, embarrassed at the fact he had gone out of his way to buy a dress for her after having only just recently meeting her.

He wouldn't dare admit his embarrassment though and quietly poured himself another glass instead, offering Bella a second in tandem. As he caught another glimpse of Bella, he stared at the floor and drank a lot slower this second time around, as if he were sampling the wine. He wondered how the Valford noble always looked like she was ready to disappear at any given moment, or so he thought. With that he realized, owning a store in a town like Esterwell had really given him a false sense of nobility. Business was great, but he couldn't even imagine what the big cities were like as he had never seen one. From what Bella's father had explained, how he owned warehouses and ships - and the loss of his wife - he suddenly felt foolish parading Bella around in an expensive dress - addressing her always as if they were at a ball. He hadn't realized she more than likely must have had a wardrobe of dresses twice as expensive as the one she did now, one for everyday of the week, maybe everyday of the month for all he knew.

Realizing he was lost in this sudden epiphany, he felt nervous. "You know, we were really worried about you." He proclaimed, unsure of what to say now that the two of them were alone. "I guess I got a little carried away with the party. I just want you to see, we're all glad you and your family ended up here. You're good people. I've definitely never seen anyone talk as much as your sister before. Except maybe Lucinda." Ben chuckled inwardly at the idea, twirling the cup shyly by the base of the glass as he momentarily watched the contents swirl back and forth.

Last edited:
  • Love
In spite of her protests to the contrary, Bella really did hate parties; although, she would have said that hate was a strong word and kindly opted for dislike instead. As lovely as everything was, from the decorations to the food to the music, she found herself uncomfortable. It wasn't entirely that she disliked being the center of attention, though this played a large role; or even that she felt out of place, which she did. It was more like, for all the guests she mingled with, Bella felt alone. The fact that the party took place in a humble tavern in a small village, with people who were friendly and would greet you by name no matter who your father was, it all felt empty. It mattered little that her family was there, or Lucinda even, for all her genuine kindness. This had always been an issue with the grand parties and balls in the city, too.

All of this made itself quite clear as she stood, twisting the ring on her finger, in the doorway of the pantry. The cheering crowd, lively music, and consistent rhythm of dancing feet were muffled by the sound of her heart pounding in her ears. The shelves of dry goods did a good job of it, too. The thought of alcohol hadn't crossed Bella's mind the entire night but she perked up at the thought of a glass. It might have been useful earlier to help take the edge off. She smiled, if a bit wryly, and accepted the glass. It went quickly and washed Bella's cheeks and ears with a feeling of warmth. She accepted the offered second pour as well, hesitating a moment before taking a sip. It was funny; the two hardly knew each other and yet Bella found herself already comfortable with Ben's presence. He seemed a bit stubborn, as it was his insistence upon the dress even after she told him she couldn't accept it. Nevertheless, he at least seemed sincere, even if it was a little awkward to be alone with him yet.

"I know. I'm sorry. I'll try not to wander off unannounced." There was a hint of sarcasm in those words, paired with a playful smile. The Prince was almost a tangible presence in the room, reminding her just how big a lie she was telling and making her feel guilty for doing so. "I'm glad, too. I feel like I fit in better here in Esterwell than I did in Valford. People here are nicer, even if they do gossip just as much." She laughed lightly. "She really does, but now Lucinda has someone she can talk to on equal terms," and a little more earnestly, "So do I, I hope."

The rest of that night and the day following passed as quickly as a sigh. If Bella hadn't been so distracted, and if she hadn't had the displeasure of meeting the sharp-toothed young woman, she might have enjoyed the party more. The highlight was the time she and Ben merely spent talking alone that night, if she had to name one; however, she wouldn't admit it outright, especially not to her sister.

It was the warm gray of dawn when Bella woke. She hadn't slept much the night before, anticipating her journey back to the castle. She dressed and slipped downstairs as quietly as she could manage, fastening the ring, which was on the silver chain from the pendant, around her neck. It was an idea she had the previous day. She found that she didn't like to leave the ring in her room, strange considering no one entered her attic room but her; and she opted to carry it with her. To wear it on her finger while doing chores was equally as unappealing, for she didn't want to lose or soil it. It sat twinkling in the morning light on the flat of her chest.

All was quiet aside from the crunching of leaves and twigs underfoot and the jingling and creaking of saddle and harness. As promised, Bella rode Farren into the woods. He was less than enthusiastic about it, but he went where Bella told him to go. An alternating jog, trot, and canter got them much farther in less time than it had taken Bella on foot nearly five days ago. It couldn't have been later than lunchtime when they arrived at the gate. She took a deep breath and bid Farren through it.

"Hello~?" The redhead called on the backwash of the massive door slamming shut behind her. The great front hall was empty and pristine, as if it had never been lived in, and just as silent as it had been on that first day. "Hm.. I guess I should go greet him first." With a glance around, and feeling vaguely cheated that she didn't see the glowing orange menace, she begrudgingly crossed to the back of the room and headed up the velvet-carpeted stairs. She was sure she remembered the way to the Prince's study. Unlike when she followed Henry down these same corridors, Bella had the time and opportunity to doddle. She stopped to study the articles she passed, from paintings to china, with a much keener eye. Like a proper lady, she offered to touch nothing, lest she accidentally break it. Whether or not she did this simply to prolong facing the Prince was arguable.

Farren, left to wander in the dooryard, stole to the first patch of grass he could find and settled into some light grazing.

Last edited:
  • Love
"Bella, you're here!" A familiar stocky servant of royalty called out from behind Bella, having made his way up the same set of stairs she had just climbed. Unlike their first encounter, Henry greeted Bella with a warm beaming smile, as if she herself were royalty. The captain of the guard maintained his elegant demeanor with excellence, every clink of steel precise as he stepped towards Bella and offered a gentleman's bow. His smile did not falter as he came up to meet Bella, but suddenly a solemn expression overcame him. "I hope you can forgive my previous behavior." He stood still - upright and dignified, yet vulnerable, hoping Bella would truly forgive him, recalling how she was more than what his first impression chalked her up to be. In hindsight he felt he had acted quite impulsively and harsh - but there were many secrets in the castle that should remain hidden given the circumstances.

"And should you give us your word, and go against it, you and your family will suffer the consequences." the prince's demands echoed in the back of Henry's head. He had vowed to protect the royal family to the death, but he never thought that would entail harming a girl and her family. No, that was the last thing he wanted to do. Either way, Henry was still delighted to see Bella. Apparently she was someone they could trust, that in itself being extraordinary. "Come, we're down in the basement."

The castle remained dimly lit as always, all the drapes in the great hall remained tightly shut. Henry lead Bella to the very same door he had initially brought her to against her will, every step they took echoing throughout the vast hall. Beside the door was an end table where a lantern that squeaked lightly when you turned its knob sat atop the smoothly polished mahogany surface - one could almost see their own reflection in the refined timber. The lanterns handle creaked every few steps as Henry lead Bella through the dark and stuffy hallway. They turned a corner down a spiraling set of cobblestone steps before the dungeon came within visibility.

They came to a clearing at the bottom of the spiraling stairs into what was clearly some type of workshop. It was riddled this time with more books and parchments as well as the proper apparatus to extract blood. In addition to the books and parchments was a strikingly unusual table that stood against the far end of the room adorned with candles, glowing symbols, a skull with three eyes and a pair of horns. A glowing orb sat atop the skull on its edge. The prince stood before the meticulously crafted table, his back towards Bella and Henry, his hands pressing down onto a parchment as he silently read its contents upon the glowing symbols. "Your Highness," Henry addressed the prince formally, diligent as always, but Jaron remained concentrated on his reading. Henry stood at the entrance, unsure of what to say. He was somewhat discouraged by the prince's grim silence, which left him feeling rather awkward about the entire ordeal. The same chair and table stood in the center of the basement where the extraction apparatus lay disinfected, ready for their intended use; to collect blood from Bella so as to ensure the prince's well being.

As silence ensued Henry felt more self-conscious by the second. "Bella is here." He finally admitted, preferring instead that the prince had offered a friendly greeting, although he began to doubt if such a thing were even possible for the heir of Carthya's throne. He had never witnessed such warmth or kindness necessary from the prince in all his life of service to him. He was, after all, brought up to be concerned with a lot more than peoples feelings - especially that which belonged to the captain of the guard and the likes of Bella, even if she was apparently more elegant than your average commoner.

"Proceed with your business." the prince ordered, as if he had nothing to do with Bella's blood being drawn. Henry sighed as he reluctantly crossed towards the syringes and glass bottles laid out on the table. He placed a chair in front of Bella as the prince rolled up the parchment, tying the contents closed with a golden string. "When you're done, bring her to my study." The prince ordered Henry, quick to make his way back upstairs. Bella only had to sit for less than a minute and the extraction was complete, three vials lay beside each other on the table. Henry collected them and placed them carefully into a wooden box that sat upon a map of Carthya that seemed to have several pins placed punctually across the country. There was also some fine jewelry laid out on the table, each piece contained an ornament of what appeared to be made of sapphires and various gemstones, some of which were similar in appearance to the same gem embellished upon Bella's mysterious ring.

As Henry lead Bella out of the basement, he stopped as they entered the great hall,
"Seeing as you just lost some blood, you are invited to stay and rest before riding back home. I can also have a meal prepared and served." He was almost the opposite of what Bella had encountered five days ago, maintaining a genuine smile every time he addressed her. "Don't worry about the prince. If he has a problem with your staying here, he'll have to get through me first."

Last edited:
  • Love
"Oh, Henry." Bella looked up from where she was bent over a painted vase, a bit startled when he seemed to come out of nowhere. Perhaps more startling was that he was smiling. When the man bowed, she briefly stole a glance over her shoulder, making sure there wasn't someone else there that he might be addressing. Indeed, it was she that he offered so warm an expression to. It was odd, unsettling even given that this was the first time she was witnessing it; and yet it was reassuring and a bit endearing.

"Of course. I apologize for causing so much trouble." She returned a timid smile and a deep bow of her copper head. When she thought about it, she couldn't really blame Henry for his behavior. He was doing his job, protecting the castle and those that lived there, namely the Prince. His apology was appreciated nonetheless. While it honestly did little to remedy the situation they were all in, it at least made things a less tense and awkward. Whether for better or worse, Bella's presence would be a somewhat regular occurrence at the castle and it would be better for all their sakes if everyone could get along. There seemed to be only one obstacle to that: the Prince himself. He didn't seem like the type to get along with anyone.

Speak of the devil, there he was in the basement. Bella peeked around Henry, spotting him standing over a strange table. What were those symbols? Why were they glowing? Was-- was that a skull?! Her hair stood on end and she ducked back behind the bulky man, avoiding looking in that direction or even at the Prince as he passed them by. "Why, hello to you too, your Highness." She thought ruefully, taking a seat. As much as some part of her wanted to make nice with him, she didn't foresee it happening. Of course, as a Prince, he wasn't required to greet much less be nice to anyone, even if it was someone who was sustaining his very life with her own.

Their business passed quickly and Bella occupied herself with admiring the many jewels and precious stones scattered on the table. Unconsciously, she reached a hand up to graze the ring that hung from her neck. Was this perhaps where it was constructed? She couldn't keep her eyes from traveling to that awful-looking table on the far side of the room. It looked like what she imagined a wizard might use in practice of dark magic. Was that what the Prince was doing? She shivered and followed Henry up the stairs.

"Actually, lunch sounds great." Bella agreed sheepishly. She hadn't eaten a thing yet and she wouldn't be surprised if Henry could hear her stomach growling. "It can wait though." It was probably better to go ahead to the study, lest they upset the Prince's already delicate temper.

Again they traversed the corridor they were just in moments ago and Bella found herself in the regally decorated study that even the greatest of scholars could only dream of having. She offered a quick curtsy in greeting, feeling as though she could make a few of the right gestures. He was royalty, after all; and even being born to a woman of nobility, Bella was nothing to him. As she stood before his great desk, the question that had been nagging her for the past two days came to mind then and she stole an anxious glance between the two men.

"Sincerely begging your pardon, but do you know of a woman with red hair? Not red like mine, but red.. like wine? She knew... about you.. about this place." Bella paused a moment before continuing cautiously. "I don't suppose it would have meant much if she hadn't said so in the middle of a crowd at a party." There was a moment after the words left her mouth that she regretted even saying them. What exactly did she expect from the Prince? As Landon had said, there were things they couldn't tell her, even if they wanted to. The person she expected answers from the least was His Majesty. Perhaps she should have waited and asked Landon instead? She would just have to accept the consequences, now.

Last edited:
  • Love

"Right, your Majesty, don't forget about that thing we talked about..earlier." Henry was quick to pull the gold-trimmed door handles side by side, leaving Bella and the Prince to their privacy. The sound of steel clinking together could be heard from inside the study and throughout the massive castle hallways and its numerous unoccupied rooms. Ironically the size of the castle, meant to be a display of royalty, was reduced to really nothing more than desolateness, a great solitude that only served to forlorn any ideas of life before Inverness.

This reality tugged on every nerve coursing through Jaron who had become extremely sensitive to his senses living basically as a wealthy prisoner. Pondering the differences of liberties the castle and its servants offered as opposed to the experience of an actual prisoner - well, in contrast to his circumstances, only left Jaron with a demeaning outlook. How such a display of wealth and power Inverness evoked would ultimately lose its worth and meaning - no, could only lose worth and meaning should its occupants be doomed to be forgotten forever. It was an elegant, slow demise and only made Jaron dream he had met some other, quicker fate, or at least was forced to serve a life sentence in some other fashion.

A vampiric curse tying its victims to an empty forgotten castle demanded they be tortured, leaving them to be more concerned with losing their minds to madness before the idea of death could even pose a problem. Yet, here they all still were, taking everything one day at a time. To think, after so much time waiting for some kind of solution - for it to just walk right through the door, well, was the very stuff of magic and fairy tales. Seeing as one turned out to be more real than expected, all bets were on the forge house girl and her terrible luck with cursed forests and glowing butterflies.

Jaron remained distracted by the sound of Henry's clunky plates of armor striking against eachother, until the sound eventually faded farther down the hallway. "Red hair...?" Curling a quill pen between his index and middle finger, he couldn't recall anyone matching the description. "She knew me?" Puzzled, Jaron could not recall seeing a red hair woman the night before, although he hadn't been paying much attention to the bystanders, even though someone with wine red hair should stand out enough. "That could only mean..."

"I'll look into it." Jaron, quick to brush off the subject, began organizing his desk. It wasn't obvious but the Prince felt quite awkward sitting alone with Bella in the study, especially after the anger he displayed last time they were there. There was still a pile of broken glass and upholstery in the corner of the study from the episode. He pulled a gold pocket watch out from his coat pocket as he recalled the tantrum, eyeing it briefly. "Let's go for a walk." Oddly enough the idea was more of a suggestion than an order. Even so he wasn't expecting any objection from Bella.
As he lead Bella out of the study and down the east wings corridor, Jaron walked beside her trying to seem casual, as if they were old friends. His skin was lively, nowhere near as sickly pale it had been the last time they were face to face. "How was the ride from...Esterwell, was it?"

It wasn't painfully obvious Jaron wanted to act as if he hadn't spent a decade in the woods and wasn't fully aware of their neighbors in town, but he was definitely acting strange compared to his previous behavior. Whereas Bella had been reunited with her family, the prince had spent the past few days being outnumbered by Henry and Imogen, who had long since abandoned their former titles as head housekeeper and captain of the guard ever since Bella had arrived. "Fellow prisoner" was their newfound occupation it seemed, at least by the way they addressed the prince behind closed doors, demanding he treat Bella as an equal, no, as a friend.

The idea followed this narrative where Bella was the answer to all their problems, apparently she was to fall in love with the prince and he would take her hand in marriage, thus ending the curse and allowing everyone to return to their real lives. "Preposterous..." he thought, and yet here they were, walking shoulder to shoulder through the castle. The idea would have been more inconceivable if Jaron wasn't a walking abomination, a living, breathing vampire. If the sun wasn't capable of burning off the prince's flesh, you might find yourself stripped of your rank and thrown in the dungeon for suggesting Carthya's heir should marry an aristocrats daughter. Former aristocrat at that.

"Just have to see her as more than a blood-bank." Jaron thought to himself. "How hard could it be?" They stopped at the very end of the east wing which lead to a window nearly as wide as the hallway, reaching all the way to the ceiling. If not for the closed curtains, the entire corridor would be illuminated by sunlight. They had only candles in the sconces to thank for what dim lighting the interior offered. "This window has a great view of the castle grounds." Jaron spoke in a monotone manner as he looked towards the top of the curtains with a deadpan expression. "I usually open these curtains once the sun sets below the mountains." He stood stiffly, hands in pocket before the reaching window as if it were the first time he had seen it. He was beginning to doubt there was anything in himself worth loving.

Jaron grew to hate the castle and surrounding woods more and more everyday, the feeling coursed through his blood, manifesting itself as blind rage, usually for no reason at all. If ever there was something to live for, it wasn't love but revenge, or so he felt. It was easier to brush away thoughts of rage and vengeance now that he had human blood to revitalize him, however such was a double-edged sword as it only made him feel less human. "So, this woman." Jaron began, deterring his train of thought, "What did she say? What does she know? Has anyone else told you about this place?" Turning his attention towards Bella, Jaron's deadpan expression remained with his line of questioning. "You haven't told anyone about the castle, have you...?"

Last edited:
  • Love
"He- where are..?" The three syllables were little more than a murmur, spoken only after the doors to the study closed behind her. Bella stared at them, waiting for them to open again, when it sank in that Henry had left her. Alone, with the Prince. Immediately, she felt a great deal more insecure. It wasn't that she feared the Prince's temper in spite of the tantrum he had thrown in front of her; it was rather what might have been an unexpected reason. What business did she have spending any time alone with him? It mattered little that her grandfather on her mother's side was a duke when her father's family had no title to speak of whatsoever. It was really nothing short of a miracle that her parents had even married at all. If not for her father's wealth at the time, the duke never would have consented. Her father, in his wealth, was probably only equivalent to a viscount at best; and her grandparents had albeit abandoned their family once her mother died. With every second that passed, it was born in on Bella that she had absolutely no business with the Prince. She shouldn't even be there, but luck was not on her side in that regard.

"A.. walk? Did I hear that right?" Puzzled, Bella hesitated there a moment before trotting to catch up to him. To take a walk with the prince was far from even the last thing she would have expected. So far, in fact, that she never would have imagined it in the realm of reality. The real question was, why? Was this what he and Henry had talked about? "What could he possibly want with a dull, drab little nothing like me?" Bella thought, glancing up at him out of the corner of her eye. Though she walked beside him, she avoided looking at him directly. Was something different or was it her own delusion? Something felt different, then again, the entire situation was odd and the feeling of uncertainty could easily be chalked up to that. Or perhaps it all boiled down to her own ineptitude at talking to the opposite sex. She twiddled her fingers pensively behind her back.

"Esterwell." The redhead nodded affirmatively. "Riding on horseback was much better, certainly saved some time." She answered as one who would do her duty by the conversation. Some part of her wondered if he asked because he cared or if he was asking to prevent an awkward silence; however, she didn't acknowledge this. Rather, she chose to focus on the fact that they were having a civil conversation. That had to be a good thing, right? "Perhaps there's some humanity left in him, after all." Yet Bella's heart was still pounding. She stopped short of the covered window, observing the Prince. The dim light of the candles on the walls lent his pale countenance a rosy hue that, if only briefly, brought him truly back to humanity from the marble carving he resembled when she first saw him. His expression remained unchanged, which broke the illusion. "I wonder if he ever shows any emotion other than anger?" Bella stared so long at him that she blushed when she realized and turned away. Only did she look back at him when he brought up the strange woman.

"Well, she didn't say much; but what she did say...leads me to believe that she knows everything." The words were timid, spoken as though Bella were offering him silk thread with which to build a bridge across a ravine. She tried not to dwell on the events of the party too much and recalled the woman with wine-colored hair unhappily. Those sharp teeth and obnoxious attitude. "She said that.. that I must be special to have stayed in the 'princess's bedroom.'" She wasn't sure if she should mention the bit about Henry as she didn't want to recall that awful dungeon. "Oh, there was a name she mentioned. Mephala. Does that mean anything to you?"

Bella looked away again, feeling unsettled by the Prince's gaze. "I haven't told anyone other than my family; and I know they won't, they haven't. If they had, I would have heard about it already. As for others...." She walked a few paces, paused to let the Prince catch up, and continued on. "There are stories about a monster in the woods, then I suppose that's not what you're asking. Oh! There was another woman, she gave me this." She held the ring up, still attached to the chain, for Jaron to see. "She said not to forget it when I enter the woods..if I value my life." With a glance at the jewel, she added, "Her hair was about his color."

They walked on, a moment of silence between them. "Was it a gift? Your watch?" Bella smiled earnestly. "I'm just guessing. Father has a pocket watch, it was a wedding gift from my mother. Er, you don't have to say. I was curious, is all." It was arguable if she was trying to fill the silence, as he had, or if she was truly curious.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows

"Princess bedroom, Mephala..." the prince was evidently flabbergasted, staring at the ground. He wasn't enthusiastic to hear Bella's family knew about the castle, seeing as they probably knew more than that. There was no use threatening her or her family, that was the risk they took setting her free. Jaron observed the ring dangling from its chain in the same manner he stared at the windows drapes - as if he didn't recognize them. He was beginning to think things were much simpler when Bella was just as confined to the castle as the rest of them. Unsure what to make of the risk Bella posed and the mysterious wine haired woman, the prince abruptly came to a halt. "Bella, I told you to not to tell anyone about this place." He didn't sound as frustrated as he apparently should have been, although the idea he might reconsider Bella's back and forth agreement was frightening enough. "If a mob of pitchforks show up looking to drive a stake in my chest, we're going to have a serious problem."

Sighing heavily, it suddenly occurred to the prince he would soon experience an appetite - the thought made him feel sicker than usual, especially seeing as the source of his 'good health' was standing a few feet away, speaking to him. As he stood upright, raising his eyes to meet Bella's, hounding her gaze as if she were a misbehaved dog, instantly he recalled how relieved she was when they told her she could return home. From what he saw last night, her family was more than happy to have their youngest back - he had no idea what commoners were like or were supposed to be like, but they seemed normal enough. They at least reminded him of all the maids and cooks that worked for his parents. Of Henry and Imogen. He presumed her family was just as ordinary. They appeared to be at least.

"This way." Jaron beckoned Bella down an unfamiliar flight of stairs, through another long hallway into the dining hall, which had a small set of stairs from the entrance leading into the room. The table appeared long enough to seat up to probably thirty people, yet every seat stood empty. They crossed the table towards a single door on the other end of the dining hall that lead into the extravagant kitchen where the castle chef slaved away effortlessly as always.

"Ah, your Majesty." Landon mused from over the stove "And our guest of honor!" Seemingly elated for no reason as usual, Landon knocked on the pan with a metal spatula several times as he added ingredients and seasoning to a late brunch. "Your Highness, I've prepared your favorite for today's special occasion - Eggs Machiavellian!" the prince's deadpan gaze would not cease and only made him seem more dull after Landon spoke so enthusiastically. "I hate eggs." He admitted, unsure of what to say with barely enough effort to utter the words loud enough for them to hear. Landon continued to passionately serve a meal as if he didn't hear Jaron's remark.

Imogen entered the kitchen from the door leading to the main hall of the castle, where Bella had entered just a short time ago. She smiled sheepishly at the sight of her and the prince. Henry followed shortly behind, carrying a familiar green-hooded child on his shoulder. Meals were usually served at specific times of each day, although more often than not there were exceptions, but the castles inhabitants typically followed a routine. Those sitting in the dining hall should consist of the royal bloodline: Amarinda, Tobias and Jaron accordingly. There was, however, often someone descending from royal blood that was absent - the only one that would be, if ever one was.

"I want to sit with Bella!" Sophia cried out, gripping tightly onto the wall as Henry carried her through the doorway into the dining hall. "You know you have to eat with your cousins!" Henry asserted to no avail, even though he seemed more than capable of yanking Sophia off the doorway whenever he pleased. "Those bozos are boring! Why isn't big brother sitting there then?"

Jaron leaned over the nearest kitchen counter resting his cheek on his hand as he paid no mind to Sophia's disobedience. The hooded girl shrieked as Henry forced her into the dining hall. Imogen creeped towards Bella, greeting her shyly. "Hello, how are you?" Wringing her hands together, Imogen offered Bella a seat at a table not even a quarter of the size the dining hall table was. "How is everything back home? Was your family glad to see you? They must have been worried sick." She seemed more laid back than she was just five days ago but still appeared exhausted; bags remained under her eyes, her hands looked rough and there was some dirt stuck to her neck and cheek.

Jaron stared at the marble floor, it was so clean he could see Landon's reflection on its surface. He couldn't remember the last time he set foot in the kitchen, come to think of it he wasn't sure if he ever had. Truthfully, he only brought Bella there to avoid anymore idle conversation. Imogen and Landon insisted he befriend her, however they didn't seem to take into account if that was a feasible effort on his part.

Last edited:
  • OMG
It was pointless trying to speak to the Prince. His disinterested expression was enough indication that he cared little for conversation, if not his refusal to reply. Being in his presence reminded Bella very much of life in the city. There was always someone above you who would sooner wipe mud off their shoes on the skirt of your dress as give you the time of day. If you didn't have a title or come from a lineage that did, you were worth little to anyone, unless you had money; even then, it was easy to lose one's status. She ought to know. It was a system she was most pleased to dispense with when her family left Valford. It came back to her with an unpleasant jolt now as she stopped to stare back at him.

"Nothing. There's nothing." Bella sighed, looked away a moment. "How was I supposed to lie to them? How was I to explain why I have to run off every three days? What was I supposed to tell them if.. if they ended up involved because of me?" She stared back hard, searching his blank face. He really was like a statue; his features were handsomely carved, yet he lacked the warmth of a living thing. "An angry mob is the least of your worries. No one ever ventures into the woods; they're all too afraid of 'the monster.'" Her own aggravation was palpable as she again kicked herself for having ever set foot in that forest. At least, she didn't have to put up with this all day, every day. She could still go home to her family, which made her feel a little better. That was not to say that the possibility of something bad happening to them didn't niggle at her conscience. How terrible would that be? She wouldn't be able to live with herself if something happened to Sofie on her account.

No more was said between them as Jaron led the way through an unfamiliar corridor to the dining hall. Bella couldn't help boggling a bit at its sheer size. It was bigger than any she had seen in Valford. Their own dining table had only been half the size of this one. The room itself was bigger than their ballroom had been. It was almost a relief to arrive in the kitchen. Landon's cheerful attitude could lift even the dampest of spirits. "Excepting the Prince's." The redhead thought to herself, with hardly a sniff in his direction as he settled at the counter.

"No, just a guest." Bella objected lightly to Landon's words. She was thoroughly through being the guest of honor in any capacity after the party. "Hi!" She greeted Imogen, Henry, and Sofie with a smile, happy to see the little girl most of all perhaps. The smile dropped a bit. Wait, brother? Who? The Prince? Surely not! Bella stole a glance between the two. They certainly didn't match, what with Jaron's black hair and Sophia's red hair. Their eyes were different colors, too. "They look nothing alike. They also act nothing alike. Perhaps they're half-siblings?" The vision she had had, or rather that the Monarch had shown her, didn't come to mind then.

"Fine, thanks." Bella greeted, offering as friendly a smile as she could muster to the nervous housekeeper. "Busy, as usual. The chores never end." Guilt crept up on her when Imogen offered her a seat. Bella hesitantly accepted, finding she couldn't quite bring herself to admit to them that she wanted to leave. She couldn't tell them, after their kindness, and in the presence of the Prince, that she felt uncomfortable staying any longer. She couldn't tell them that she didn't wish to stay where she wasn't wanted. It was her own fault, really, which was another reason she couldn't bear to say. She was never meant to be there in the first place. She was an interloper, a trespasser unwillingly caught up in a predicament that shouldn't ever have involved her. The air felt thick, too thick for her lungs to breathe. It felt like she would suffocate. Perhaps if she just pretended he wasn't there..

"Yes, very glad. Everyone was. Small town and all." She smiled sheepishly. "There was a party, too. It was really all too much for me."

Last edited:
  • Love
3yXFAJS.jpg
d2qdeVM.png
WnhtGKk.png

Quite abruptly, the sound of small bells ringing followed by high pitched whistles briefly interrupted the kitchen dwellers. A handmade cuckoo clock hanged in the corner of the kitchen tucked away between cabinets. It blended in perfectly, its short hand pointing towards a roman numeral one. Unbeknownst to their guest, the castle dwellers had all skipped breakfast and had spent most of the previous days unable to feign boredom from their typical day to day routines, their anticipation for Bella's arrival growing by the day. Sophia, Amarinda and Tobias had managed to keep their knowledge of the castles secret corridors in its walls a secret, they had remained unoccupied since their arrival, infested with cobwebs and mice instead. This lead to the Prince and everyone else being spied on since any incidents out of the ordinary would exclude the children whenever possible.

Today, however, their secret knowledge of the castles hidden corridors was likely at risk. The children had skipped their morning studies and exercises to lay wait in the woods on the outskirts of the castle grounds, wondering if the forge house girl really planned to return of her own volition or if a mob of townsfolk would arrive in her place. To their excitement, along came Bella on horseback.

Surely they had their eyes on her the entire time she was there, especially since she was meant to be drawing blood for the Prince, who only interacted with them during breakfast, lunch and dinner on occasion. They never saw Jaron for the most part, unless they were spying on him. There were rare occurrences of him leaving during the night too, but everytime they followed him he seemed to vanish into the woods. The dining hall door slowly creeped open; the Prince's royal cousins peeked into the kitchen, Amarinda's head creeping in over Tobias, who was crouched on his knee. They both gasped aloud at the very same moment the wood-carved cuckoo clock clucked to announce it was one in the afternoon. Lifted off the ground by a pair of thick burly steel-plate gloves, the two of them were pulled into the dining hall for brunch.

"They seem to like new faces." Imogen admitted through tired eyes, she had spent most of the past few hours looking for the three children. Her responsibilities as a housekeeper evolved overtime into catering for and looking after the royal bloodline, even acting as a substitute in place of a mentor that would supervise their studies as duke, duchess and most key figure of the three, Carthya's princess. Despite being under-qualified, the housekeepers teaching skills have so far proved to suffice for the current circumstances, as there were a lifetimes worth of knowledge to be found in the castle.

The Prince spoke up out of nowhere, even surprising Imogen and Landon by his abrupt interjection, "You should go home." He insisted directly at Bella, ignoring her conversation at the table. "It's not safe to go through the woods either." He added. "Henry will show you a path that leads into the country." He then turned to the cook, "Have Henry escort her out of the castle." He crossed the kitchen towards the door leading to the basement entrance in the main hall, opening the kitchens double sliding doors. As he stood in the doorway he turned to Bella, "It's not safe to be out at night, especially in the countryside." He had a grievous look about him and there was an intense moment of silence as he observed Bella to make sure she understood him. "Stay indoors, don't go out after dark." With that, he shut the double doors behind him.

Imogen pulled on the collar of her blouse as a brief silence ensued, "Would you like some tea?" Immediately after brunch, Sophia, Amarinda and Tobias joined them in the kitchen, only to be barked at by Imogen who hadn't forgotten all the time she spent searching all over the castle for them. They were unwillingly escorted to their rooms as punishment for insubordination. Landon piled together their plates and carried them to the sink before approaching Bella as she sat by the window, its blinds had been opened after Jaron had left, which was Landon's doing. Being the only two left in the kitchen, Landon escorted Bella to the main hall and did not tell her goodbye until she received the friendliest hug of all time and wished her safe travels.

Henry approached the castles iron doors on horseback pulling Farren closely beside him by his reins. "I assume this one belongs to you?" The entrance reached at least two stories high, towering above Bella. Henry recalled how just several days ago he had met the lost lamb for the first time on the other side of the reaching iron doors that made most people who stood beside them seem a lot smaller than they were. Her compliance lifted more weight off his shoulders than she knew, as he was no longer forced to scrounge the surrounding forests for anything with a heart that was pumping blood into the veins of the lands fauna.

That was only half the burden, the other being the sight of the Prince, who could miraculously survive off wildlife, but doing so left him in a weak - and frightening - sickly pale red eye state, which only made matters worse for everybody. Human blood, however, revitalized him. Gruesome as that may be, it was equivalent to the effect drinking water provided. In fact, for all he or anyone knew, it was all the Prince needed to survive. The idea now of Carthya's prince having an appetite was best left not to ponder on in graphic detail.

"Ready to go?" Henry asked. He sat upon a fully matured wheat colored thoroughbred with a platinum colored mane and tail, a black harness and saddle clung to its torso, especially crafted and adjusted for the horses size. "Let's go, Dullahan!" Henry commanded whilst tapping on the horses sides with his heels. Dullahan seemed excited they were going on a ride and slightly reared as he broke into an immediate trot towards the castles gates.

Henry maintained a steady gallop down the road, frequently checking behind him to make sure Bella wasn't too far behind. There was an eerie atmosphere about the surrounding woods for the first leg of the trip - there seemed to be an ever present cluster of clouds that lingered above the castle and woods at all times. However, the number of lively trees seemed to increase the further along they road. Shortly after the castle was no longer in sight did the sky become clear, from what parts of it could be seen that were not shrouded by branches overhead that now dropped leaves onto the road below them. As the road transformed into more of a makeshift path, with more and more thick trees to weave past, Henry slowed himself to a steady trot. The area might have seemed familiar to Bella from her first venture into the woods, as they were already nearing her home.

"It's not safe in the woods." Henry confessed, his voice bellowing from the vibrations of the horse and his shouting so that Bella would hear him, "They're cursed." He made sure to look forward as he spoke, not wanting to ride headfirst into an oak tree. They were now accompanied by the crunching of leaves and twigs. He seemed hesitant to elaborate about the apparent curse that plagued the woods, choosing an odd time to reveal this to Bella, seeing as it was slightly difficult to converse at the speed Dullahan maintained. Judging from the grave expression on Henry's face as he spoke, he may have purposefully chosen the particular moment, although why he shared little of the curse was not clear, it was possible he knew little of it, or there was more than he let on.

Finally, they came to a clearing. Henry stopped just short of the treeline as open country came into view. A wagon could be seen riding along the main road. Henry pointed opposite of the direction the wagon was heading. "Your town is that way." He took a moment to observe the country and confirm his surroundings, then turned to Bella with a confident expression about him. Dullahan gently neighed, sounding rather pleased with their trip. "I spoke with the prince, the blood you gave today should last us four days." He reached out and briefly patted Bella on her shoulder, hoping to convey his and everyone else's gratitude. His formal stature seemed to melt away as he bid farewell. "Make sure to get some rest for the rest of the afternoon, your body needs it."

He looked to the country once more, this time a few moments longer, before pulling on Dullahan's reins, causing him to rear and turn back towards the castle. On Henry's cue they trotted back into the woods.

Last edited:
  • Love
"You should go home."

It was startling to say the least when the Prince broke their quaint conversation with the very thing Bella had been thinking herself only a moment before. She turned on her seat to face him, opening her mouth to speak only to close it. What she expected him to say next and what he actually said were very different and the discrepancy left her dumbfounded. She expected him to validate her feelings: that she wasn't wanted there. Inexplicably it seemed, he offered an alternative to traveling through the woods and a warning. In some part of her mind, Bella dared to wonder if the Prince actually cared, in spite of his cold exterior; yet, the rational part trampled the idea, reminding her that she was but a common girl and he was a prince. Whether her presence was wanted or not mattered little for it was needed. He cared only to secure his source of blood, nothing more.

Only when Jaron left did Bella dare to even take a breath. The look he gave her left her feeling cold, hollow even. It felt more like he was looking into her being than at her and the sensation was paralyzing. She shivered and rubbed her arms uncomfortably as she turned back to Imogen.

"Tea would be lovely." Bella accepted with unforced gratitude and an uncertain smile. Brunch seemed to lift the atmosphere, if only a little; and she was able to put the warnings, and her feelings, out of her head for a time. Sitting around the table with them, there was a warmth that she couldn't describe. It was small, but very much like when she was with her family or even with Ben. It felt like it had when Sofie offered her an apple the first morning at the castle - it felt like she had a friend in them, despite that she didn't know them. Their kindness was real and, somehow, it gave Bella hope.

After lunch and tea, and an unexpected but no less welcomed hug from Landon, Bella slipped out of the castle. Just being outside again was enough to lift her spirits. She took a deep breath of the fresh air.

"There you are." The redhead mused about the dappled gray stallion as Henry led him alongside his own mount. The horse investigated her hair and dress with his nose. "I don't have any bread. I'm sure you've eaten more than enough grass." She laughed, patted his neck, and took the reins. Once she mounted, she nodded to Henry, and urged Farren forward. She let him set his own pace as he picked his way over the varying terrain, an alternating jog and trot, in order to keep up with Dullahan. If the pale horse took to a gallop, Farren followed suit.

"Cursed?" Bella's skepticism was evident enough in her tone, though her expression was one of gentle curiosity. She recalled the stories she heard from the townsfolk, about the monster that lived in the woods and ate up all the game. It turned out, in one sense, to be true; although, the true nature of the so-called monster was far different than described. A cursed forest wasn't really out of the realm of possibility all things considering. Henry didn't elaborate, so she didn't press him for details. Either it was one of the secrets that Landon mentioned that they couldn't tell her or he didn't actually know.

The ride home was quiet once Henry took his leave, aside from the sounds of travel and jingling of harness. Aside from the one wagon, there wasn't anyone on the road for most of the way back. Was it perhaps due to the danger the Prince warned of? It was still daylight, though, and he had mentioned the danger after nightfall.

"Nonsense." She told herself. It was surely safe once she got back to town and while she was at home. There was nothing to worry about, or so she thought. That night was the beginning of a mysterious and dangerous trend...

Bella's eyes blinked open to the eaves of her attic room. Soft moonlight cast wavering shadows of the tops of trees on the wall. The house was quiet, as her family had gone to bed hours ago. She frowned and rolled over to stare at the window, wondering what woke her. The corner of the sheer curtain over her window fluttered in response to something other than wind. She sat bolt upright. Had she really seen that? Her eyes stayed trained on the curtain for what must have been at least a minute, but it didn't move. No, it was just her tired mind playing tricks, yet.. she was wide awake. She closed her eyes, rolled over to face the wall. Then she heard it, a faint but incessant whispering. Slowly, Bella pushed back the covers and slid out of bed. The stairs outside her door creaked.
"Celine? Is that you?" She called out barely above speaking volume as she neared the door. Hesitant, she grasped the knob and opened it to peer down the dark stairs. There was no one there. The whispers persisted, farther away. "Celine? Robby?" Bella descended to the hallway where her sister's and brother's room was on one side and her father's on the other. She could see to the next set of stairs that the hall was empty. She placed her ear to the door, the soft breathing on the other side telling her that Celine and Robby were both in bed, sound asleep. Her father's light snore could be heard from behind his door. It wasn't him, either. Yet, she could still hear whispers. She made her way to the stairs.

Bella woke to the light of dawn pouring in her window. She sat up, finding herself on the floor of her room, just in front of her bedroom door. Was all that simply a dream? How and when did she get out of bed, if it was? Confused, she got up, got dressed, and went downstairs. She made no mention of the night's event, writing it off as only a dream. That night, it continued, very much the same as before.

The whispers persisted. It was an odd sort of whispering. Bella could only just tell that there were words in it; however, they were so inarticulate that she couldn't even be sure of a language. She stood at the top of the stairs, just able to see the bottom of the front door beneath the eaves, in the moonlight flooding the front hall from the doorway of the kitchen. The distinct sound of the kitchen door sliding into its frame broke the stiff silence. One at a time, she descended the steps, cringing each time they creaked underfoot.

"Bella?" Robby's bewildered voice brought her out of her slumber. He was looking down at her, concern in his gray eyes. "What are you doing down here? That's no place to sleep." Bella sat up, looked around. She was laying on the floor in front of the stairs, blocking him from descending to go to the kitchen. "I.. I don't know." She accepted the hand he offered to help her up. "Are you feeling alright?" He paused on the steps to look at her. "I'm fine." Her tone suggested that she wasn't sure, but Robby forebore to press her.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" Bella's voice trembled as she poked her head through the kitchen doorway. The kitchen was empty, the door leading outside firmly shut. She carefully stalked closer to it and looked out the window. The garden was lit up by the full moon as was the path to the forge and the barn. There was no one out there. She opened the door, stepped out, and went to the gate that protected the garden from the small creatures that never came from the woods. It was unlatched. Taking a deep breath, she pushed it open and stepped out.
The whispering sounded no more near out in the yard than it had in the house, but now there was a sense of direction. It led her past the smithy and the barn to the open expanse behind the house where she chopped firewood. It was coming from the forest. Bella stood staring into the trees, amber eyes straining to see into the inky blackness behind the underbrush that marked the edge of the wood. If there was someone or something there, it was not making itself known.
"Sophie?"
A harsh wind whirled around her, drowning out the little girl's name. Bella stumbled forward, brushing her hair from her eyes. It felt like the wind was pulling her towards the trees. As if her feet had a mind of their own, they carried her forward. Twigs and leaves and thorny scrub crunched beneath her bare feet yet she felt no pain for the rough terrain she was crossing. The wind died as soon as she passed the first line of trees; the whispering was a little louder. She followed it until the house disappeared from sight and all she could see behind her was the shadows of shadows of trees.

Each night, the dream continued; and each night, Bella got no nearer to the source of the mysterious whispering. Every morning, she would wake up farther from her bed. One morning, she woke up on the stairs; and another, she woke on the kitchen floor. A few times, she woke in the garden and just beyond the gate. Then, she woke in the grass on the edge of the woods. If fear had not gripped her prior, it certainly had a hold on her now.

For three weeks this went on, only causing her more confusion and distress, and her family more concern. For all her worry, she didn't mention it to the Prince, or anyone at the castle for that matter, on her trips back. Perhaps she simply didn't want to admit aloud that something was wrong; or perhaps she was worried that the Prince would suddenly forbid her returning home at all. Whatever the case, it was slowly dawning on her that home was becoming increasingly dangerous.

One evening, two days before she was to make a return to the castle, Bella sat in the parlor with her family. They were doing small, busy tasks as they often did before turning in for the night. She, who had been mending Farren's harness, stopped and looked round at them.

"I.. I've been considering, for a while now, whether this back and forth is really a good idea. I'm not sure what's happening to me, but something is. Before you know it, I'm going to wake up in that forest. It's calling me. I.. I think it's time I.. that I stay there."

Her words were like a heavy stone thrown into a tranquil pond. All at once, they protested. There was no need to go stay, isolated in that castle with a beastly prince they said. Surely this was just a phase and it would blow over with time! How much time would it take, though? The wood was drawing her in; the curse was very real for her if no one else. How long until she disappeared? What if it should affect them as well?

There was a moment of pensive silence after the upheaval before her father spoke.

"Give it a little more time. If things don't change, well... decide then." Hugh hated the thought of losing his younger daughter, especially to something he hardly believed in like cursed forests and vampires.

Bella said nothing, unable to give a definitive reply. She knew the longer she stayed, the worse things would get. They all went up to bed shortly after that. She dreamed in haunted snatches of the forest as she had for nearly a month. This time, when she woke in her dream, she was already there and the whispers were surrounding her.

Last edited:
  • Love
p3mrvSt.jpg

The woods remained as daunting as ever. Be that as it may they had an effervescent glow about them on this particular night. The reaching barren trees looked nothing like the sea of prolific branches and leaves right behind the Montagne house, which surely would have remained vacant had they known what lurked beyond them. No, these barren trees looked exactly like the outskirts of castle Inverness. Still, that intimidating sense the forest would evoke upon bystanders and interlopers was not all there, not by itself. The woods seemed to all of a sudden elicit a sense of euphoria despite being accompanied by a numbing sensation. The numbing and euphoric altogether could only be described as some form of astral projection, like a dream.

As the surrounding whispers drew closer with each passing second they remained incoherent, like a foreign language. Just as it seemed like Bella would be snatched away, lost to the cursed wood forever, the sound of whispers morphed before her very ears into a screeching wind very similar to nails on a chalkboard just by its sheer velocity. The winds were followed by the sound of equally vicious rain. Suddenly Bella seemed to be moving forward through the woods. As the whispers became wind and rain it seemed like she had been moving the entire time, even though she had been frozen in place just moments ago. Like a dream, she seemed to be fading in and out of consciousness , or rather from her awareness of everything, you could suppose her connection to the dream was either being interfered with or was simply weak. It was all hazy and difficult to follow.The sound of heavy breathing could be heard as if it were coming from her own mouth, but she could feel nothing physically. She would often stop briefly to sob and rest before continuing through the hellish wilderness, until finally coming to a familiar clearing on the side of a hill.

5gx748m.jpg

In the distance, passed the row of barren trees, Inverness stood just as it had on that same day Bella had found herself lost and desperate. She might have been dreaming of that day, but as Bella proceeded down the hill it was evident she was not wearing her nightgown or any of her own dresses and skirts, donning ragged clothes, fur shoes and a hooded cape instead. By now the heavy rain had calmed to a light drizzle, but the winds did not cease. The host pushed her way through the iron gates with difficulty, she was apparently weak and half-starved from the state of her hands and arms. Crossing the long path that lead to the castle doors, she dropped to her knees before them, supporting herself by pressing her hands against the freezing iron. She felt warmer just kneeling against the doors. Somewhat sheltered from the wind by a tall archway that began parallel to a small flight of steps, the aroma of a freshly cooked meal seeped through the iron doors - although Bella could not detect the scent. She knocked upon the doors thrice with her bony fist. After twenty or thirty seconds passed, she would knock again. Only once she knocked twelve times did the doors finally open to reveal the Prince of Carthya standing before her.

XfJl5wa.png

Jaron didn't speak at first, choosing to look down on the host with a blank expression, as if she had failed in an attempt to amuse or humor him. Bella could see a pair of hands clasp together, the sound of the woman's voice could be heard as if it had reverberated between her own ears, "Please," she begged, shivering and half-sobbing. Jaron observed the woman from above, she appeared wrinkled from both the rain and age, her hair was frizzy and covered in dirt. She could barely manage to speak clearly as she asked for shelter. It was impossible to tell what Jaron was thinking as he stared at the woman.

For a moment she feared the worst, assuming he was of heartless character. As Jaron stepped to the side offering the woman entrance, her shivering ceased, she began to breath steadily. The light from inside the castle glistened off her eyes as she looked in disbelief at the miracle before her that was the mercy of the Prince. She slowly stood up, elated at the idea of warmth, of having escaped death.

An unusual Henry approached from the east wing. The disfigurement on his face had apparently vanished, leaving him almost unrecognizable. He also carried himself like the general of an army, there was a large claymore sheathed on his back Bella had never seen before. The hilt of the sword was gold wrapped in leather to ensure a more firm grip. He observed the host before addressing Jaron, "Your majesty?" He kept his eye on her as Jaron walked past him, stopping beside the guard to rest a hand on his shoulder as he leaned over to whisper something, as if his ears were on the back of his neck.

Henry nodded dutifully, beckoning the host towards the east wing. The interior of castle Inverness was beautifully illuminated by chandeliers, the scones on the walls replaced by lanterns. Gold trimmed nearly every piece of decor from counters and vases to the curtains and carpet. Inverness was still impressively decorated before, but it seemed as if Bella were walking through a different castle at times, that dim grey desolateness could hardly be found.

Not only that, but the castle was occupied. Maids and various other guards and workers walked the halls. Even so, besides the howling winds outside, there was not so much noise now, just the distant sound of footsteps and murmuring. Henry lead the host into the kitchen, there were at least four or five men prepping and cooking. Landon was the only one moving around, inspecting every inch of the place, from sampling broths to approving entrees that were plated and ready to be served. He looked confused when they entered. Henry sat the host at the same table Bella had been seated for almost a month now. "Forgive me, but are you trying to contaminate the royal families dinner?" Landon snapped at Henry. At that point a tall lithe man dressed like a servant entered the kitchen.

WlAs5cq.png

Landon was further agitated by the mans sudden appearance. "What is going on?!" He asked out loud to nobody, "What are these people doing in my kitchen?" and then, it happened. The host began to glow a mysteriously blinding white. Beneath the flash the wrinkles of her skin smoothed, her bony fingers thickened, the knots and dirt in her hair transformed. Unsure what to make of the situation, everyone in the kitchen stood frozen and awe-struck. "A witch!" cried one of the cooks. The tall man hadn't taken his eyes off of Landon, who was distracted by the blinding magic, not that it made a difference when the man nearly vanished out of thin air and was suddenly inches in front of the head chef, knocking him across the kitchen with unbelievable force. As Landon collided into the cabinets, Henry was quick to retaliate, pulling the hilt of his claymore out its sheathe with almost the same amount of speed as the stranger.

His muscle memory kicked in and within just a couple seconds Henry was already swinging at the stranger all the while bellowing a battle cry. To his dismay the sword wedged itself into the strangers arm like an axe on an oak tree. All the cooks began to shriek in terror, one of them even sprinted out the door into the dining hall. "A demon!" cried another. Vice grip unceasing, Henry gritted his teeth, eyes widening as the stranger turned to meet them. That's when he noticed the red tint in his eyes. He almost had to yank the sword out of the mans arm.

"Go!" the host commanded, again the sound of her voice could almost be felt coming from Bella's own throat. The blinding light glowing from her body gradually dimmed to reveal her new form. The 'demon' proceeded to nonchalantly walk passed the cooks into the dining hall, the only evidence of Henry's strike being a tear on the mans sleeve - there was no blood or wound whatsoever.

JSpmAxI.png
Henry stood, nearly in shock by what had just occurred. He felt his nerves turning his feet to clay and quickly regained his posture, heart throbbing as he suddenly realized the demon had just entered the dining hall where Carthya's king and queen were sitting. "Your majesty!" He cried, which seemed to upset the host. She stood, quick to let out a blood-curdling shriek that caused the entire room to shake. Henry grimaced, falling to his knees as he pressed the palms of his gloves into his ears as hard as he could. He forced himself to pull his head up and stand, all the while vibrations coursing through his body. In one quick and excruciating motion Henry bent down, gripped the hilt of his sword and swung at the witch if only to make her stop screaming, which she did, but now had her sights trained on a disoriented Henry who was now bleeding from his ears.

That captains resolve found stable footing, Henry did not waste a second and began to methodically attack the witch, strafing her position as she weaved and dodged his strikes and slashes. He made sure to stay as close as possible to prevent her from using any sort of magic. A woman's shriek could be heard from the dining hall, breaking Henry's concentration. The moment he turned to face the door the witch conjured fire in each of her hands, firing bolts directly at the guards face in an instant. He fell down, crying in pain, rolling on the floor as he beat at the entire side of his face incessantly. By now the two of them were the only people left in the kitchen, besides an incapacitated Landon who most likely had a concussion. The witch stomped passed a writhing Henry, shoving her way through the door into the dining hall where bodies of servants lay strewn about. The Queen lay face down on the table, a dagger protruding from her upper back just below her neck. Judging from the way he sat upright against the wall, the King appeared to have struggled for his life. There was no weapon sticking out his body, but he did lay in a pool of his own blood, his white dress shirt almost completely turned red. The witch approached the King, digging her hand into his shirt, her bloody hand pulling a key off its necklace. Just as she removed her hand from inside his shirt, the King grabbed her by the arms, squeezing them tightly. "Bella!" he cried out, it seemed. His lifeless eyes stared into hers, he gripped her arms tightly. "Bella!" his mouth agape, it became clear somebody else had been shouting her name. "BELLA!"

She could not have possibly expected the sensation of being so abruptly awoken. There was no warning, no indication of motion sickness or nausea. Not only was the intensity a surprise, it was almost indescribable, as if her stomach was moving at the speed of a cannonball, or she were free-falling endlessly. That motion sickness came from the dream, the curse, who or what was responsible mattered little as something
even more sickening was gripping Bella by her arms, pulling her close to be eaten alive right there in the woods. It groaned stupidly, how it managed to walk or see was just as much of a mystery as how it expected to eat Bella with most of its teeth missing. Judging from its scent, one might infer it got the job done in the past. Groaning sounds surrounded Bella as more of these monsters approached from every direction.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
pkUKKQN92vKkoyvtI8XC9qwF0QLwMNTIFlV4yYvTDbzpf-1qAjunfF6AjaHRCIjS1dEaTWzFCdyecF7DZbP99_DiWwekZ-H5Ry1EJL5L70agKcSTk5nfgAcKGpUIbFbi-A

Bella.png

This night, the woods in her dream were different, though Bella couldn't put a finger on why. They were the trees that she had seen surrounding the castle grounds for sure, their skeletal baron branches twisting and curling towards a sky she couldn't see. Yet, somehow, something was off about them. Perhaps it was the strange glow or the lack of overwhelming brooding and foreboding that usually hung over it like a dusty drop cloth over old furniture? In fact, there was a new sensation that she couldn't put a name to. It was the same, and it wasn't.

Bella observed this all only in the span of a moment, or what might have been a moment. Time passed differently in dreams and this forest held no indication of time. She was distracted from this musing by the whispers, by the feeling that she wasn't alone. She looked uselessly into the surrounding trees, knowing that, even if someone or something was there, she would not see them. An apparent storm blew upon her rather suddenly, making everything hazy. Was it the rain, or was it her? There was no telling, but in that haze, she had apparently started walking. She stopped briefly and intermittently, as she had on her first journey to the castle. Then, there it was.

The towers and battlements rose above the tops of the trees like a lighthouse over a stormy sea, guiding lost ships - or lost travelers. This time, it was more like she was bearing witness to another's journey; however, she was seeing through the other person's eyes. She imagined this was what it felt like to be possessed by a ghost, if the ghost was a captive third party only able to observe through the one it possessed.

Like the woods, the castle was the same, but there was something quite different. The Prince who opened the door was different; the Henry she saw was different. She knew what the difference was this time, though. The castle felt lived in - it was lived in. Was this a figment of her imagination? She followed the host, unable to stray. Even the kitchen was different! And Landon!? She was sure that he didn't have a snippety bone in his body, but here she was, being proven wrong.

"No, I'm not.." Bella tried to say, though whether no sound came from her mouth or she simply couldn't hear over the sudden commotion she didn't know. "Wait! What are you doing?! Stop!" How she wished she could will the events unfolding before her eyes to cease! If only she could truly take control of this dream. "Wake up! Wake up!" She told herself to little avail. As she passed through the doors into the grand dining hall, she realized: this was not a dream of her mind's own conjuring. She was witnessing what happened all those years ago, the bigger picture of the story that the Prince had told her.

"Ah.. let go!" She winced at the grip on her arms, trying to pull her arms away, all the while unable to look away from the King's dead eyes. Why was she feeling this now, when no other sensations had reached her before? There was a jolt, if one could call it that; like the sensation of falling that snapped people out of their dreams. Her eyes shot open; her stomach lurched. She could still feel the King's grip on her arms.

"No, not the King's..." Her eyes met the monstrosity. All at once, she felt like she would faint and be sick. An unholy screech tore from her throat, splitting the silence. She ripped her arms away with all her strength, the creature's long, thick nails tearing the sleeves of her nightgown; and kicked it's chin. "Dear, God.. Oh, dear God!" Bella scrambled to her feet. There were more terrors like it and they were all over.

The creature had no sense of balance and fell forward at the slightest amount of resistance, yet as another suddenly lunged for Bella it became clear the things were a volatile threat not to be underestimated as a group, and they had Bella surrounded.

Click.

Following the pull of a trigger, string could abruptly be heard uncocking itself, firing a bolt perfectly between the limbs that extended on either side of a wooden crossbows stock, puncturing the lunging monster's brain, or the space where one might occupy itself. The bolt sent the creature careening from the impact, grazing Bellas shoulder. "Bella! The ring, your ring!" An fashionably dressed woman stood about half a dozen yards away, her face concealed by the shadows of the woods and a fine cloak made from black leather. The laces of her bright white boots intertwined more than halfway above her thighs.

The collective sound of each monster's groaning served to drown the footsteps of one that was closing in on the woman. She switched her crossbow to her left hand, pulling a short sword from its scabbard that hung off the left side of her belt, "Put on the damn ring!" she ordered and proceeded to decapitate the nearest humanoid monstrosity. A flash of light accompanied the arrival of the monarch butterfly that had started everything, who rested on Bella's chest just below her neck.

The abnormal that initially had Bella in her grip had pulled itself back up and was accompanied by three more, all of which were now just a handful of feet away, not including the one with an arrow in-between its skull that was laying at her side, reaching for her bare ankle.

Bella stiffened as the arrow grazed her shoulder, watching it plunge into the head of the undead corpse. She knew she oughtn't just stand there staring, but her limbs felt like they were made of lead, weighing her down in that spot. She barely had the presence of mind in that moment to look towards the source of the voice, in the direction from which the arrow had come. Was that the voice that called out to her in her dream?

"Ring?" A new panic washed over her. Did she even have the ring with her? Her hand shot up to her neck, fingers grazing the silver chain from which the trinket dangled. Of course, she did. She hadn't removed it from around her neck almost since the day she received it. Relief replaced the panic, though only briefly.

"You!" Bella gasped at the Monarch, thinking little of being blinded as it burst into being like a small star right over where the ring rested on her chest. There was no time for this. She pulled the ring from where it was hidden beneath her nightgown, snatched it off the chain, and put it on her finger. The blue-haired woman's words echoed in her mind, but so did a modicum of doubt. How could this ring possibly protect her?

She lifted her foot, away from the creature's reach.

uFbDVWvcks39QppJM-E2XjvzjrL9WmP73L8ZGgwuJ6jA-nATaVg7xXyQYcBoYXuSrW_MBN3_xI-nB8Fsq2kSHcoqwvB5jPIO7m3PzpQieM6g4KRLFsnITdVOWtg5yPbsPA
A revolving sphere of light projected with Bella at the center, every monster inside its diameter spontaneously combusted into flames that sent a shock wave, pushing the monsters back. The Monarch vanished into its usual blinding light as the enchantment slightly illuminated the immediate area. The creatures somewhat writhed from the flames and their bodies began decaying as one by one they were each cut down by the woman cloaked in her black hood and cape draping down her shoulders.

She turned her shortsword facing down, plunging it into the creature's head that lay beside Bella that just moments ago was squeezing her arms with its decomposed hands. She jerked the blade back out, sheathed her sword and reached into the quiver hanging from the back of her waist, feeling a couple dozen arrows by the fletching on their tail ends for a distinct silver quarrel, "We need to get somewhere safe." She affirmed to Bella, not wasting a second and loaded the silver bolt into her crossbow while she glanced at Bella's arm.

She hung the crossbow over her shoulder by its short strap and held Bella's arm gently up into the small rays of the moon's light that snuck past the surrounding leaves and branches above. "Sorry. It's a little hard to see." She pulled a handkerchief out one of her coat pockets and pulled a tight knot around the thin gash. The sphere surrounding them dissipated into wisps of light and were carried into the sky by the wind like smoke from a pipe.

She held Bella by her arms, her brows frowning with concern, "Are you okay?" she pulled her hood down, looking unconcerned as she gave Bella a second to collect her thoughts and regain her composure. "They're a sight for sore eyes aren't they?" Already the undead had burned to ash leaving behind a vile scent. "Takes some getting used to, necromancy isn't for the faint of heart." She rested her left hand on her hip whilst pulling on her crossbows strap, "They call me Liza - Liza Ramsey, at your service." She stood poised, her pale cheek curling into a grin, "The pleasure is all mine - we should get somewhere safe."

"What.. was that?" Bella looked down at the ring. Magic butterflies, cursed forests, rings with strange powers, and vampire princes? This was all getting to be too much. She swallowed hard and turned her attention to the mysterious woman. Where had she even come from? Had she magically appeared like the Monarch? Had she been there the whole time? By some chance, had she followed Bella into the woods? If she wasn't in such a state of shock, she might have considered these questions or put them to the woman while she was right there. She could only stare at her as if she didn't quite believe the woman was really there.

"Define 'okay.'" She said after a pause and rubbed her arms uncomfortably. This all felt like some horrible nightmare that she couldn't wake up from. She hadn't even noticed the wound on her arm, for it hadn't pained her. She grasped onto something more readily accessible.

"Liza? Well, I'm not sure where that would be. I don't have any idea exactly where I am in here." Bella looked anxiously around, though not in any hope that doing so might give her an idea as to their location in relation to town. Then, what did it matter how close town was? Home wasn't even safe; if it was, surely she wouldn't be in this predicament. If she did go home, it was possible that she'd wind up in the woods again. There was only one option that seemed feasible.

"Perhaps it would be best.. If we went to the castle?" The words were little more than a sullen murmur.

Last edited:
  • Love
Once Bella had suggested they retreat to the castle, Liza appeared enthralled by her judgement. She was beyond impressed - that a common girl like her wasn't skipping town after almost being eaten alive by what was almost universally regarded as old wives' tales. Her grin fell and she became gravely serious, removed one of her gloves and produced a far-reaching whistle by meticulously placing her thumb and index finger between her lips. "You're braver than I imagined, Bell." In no time at all the sound of a jingling saddle could be heard as a full-white Haflinger galloped their way.

"Hey, hey." Liza clicked her tongue off the roof of her mouth, "Calm down, calm down"
she greeted the horse somewhat urgently as it circled them in a canter a couple times. She snatched its reigns in one hand, turning to Bella, "Let me help you up." Liza didn't want to upset Bella, unsure whether she really needed help or not. "Sorry, I don't have any extra shoes." She admitted as Bella mounted the horse, wrapping the strap of her crossbow across her chest. "It's not like there isn't probably a hundred pairs of shoes where we're going."

Liza's weakly attempt at humor apparently caught the Haflinger off guard as it started rearing and bucking whilst Liza suddenly let out a cry that could raise hairs on a sphinx cat. If Bella were'not tightly gripping the reigns she might have slipped off. A dark purple and orange glowing silhouette appeared out of thin air; from it came the wine hair wench, who had remained invisible until each of her nails on both her hands were sunken into the back of Liza's shoulders, which then transformed into claws that reached deep inside her back. The Haflinger began flailing about letting out its own cries, unsure of what to do as it began distancing itself from the two women.

"
Millicent," The name escaped Liza's quivering mouth, her face contorted in anguish. "Going somewhere?" Millicent scornfully asked before proceeding to lift her wrists, hooking her claws up into Liza's shoulders then thrusting her arms upwards, lifting Liza into the air, making her cry out even more dreadfully. "You're not the only one who's been keeping an eye on our dear Bella." Every syllable she spoke cut into the air like butter. Liza's blood seemed to disappear upon Millicent's red sleeves, her horse continued to panic and move back and forth. Her eyes widened; realizing even the slightest movement on her part would be insufferable, she hesitated only for a second before tensing every muscle she could and reached for the quiver on the back of her waist with great effort, gripping the tail end of a silver arrow from its quiver and plunging it into Millicent's rib-cage; it was now her turn to scream in agony, the skin around her wound burning as she jerked her claws out from Liza's back, dropping her onto her stomach.

Liza stayed writhing on her arms and knees for a moment; she reached for a particular satchel on her belt for a glass vial of what seemed to just be water, but gradually destroyed Millicent's body tissue upon contact. The vampire finally mustered the strength to break off the arrow stuck in her rib-cage, leaving the other half inside her body. She began stomping towards Liza, who used all her strength to lift herself up, turn and hurl the vial directly onto Millicent's face. Her cries were not as terrible as Liza's but could certainly compete. Liza limped desperately towards Bella and the horse, grunting as she pulled herself up on the steed. "Hyaa!"

She could barely catch her breath while they sped through the night and had difficulty maintaining a steady pace as well as avoiding the hundreds of trees; the horse was doing most of the work as Liza frequently relinquished her hold on the reigns with one hand to apply pressure onto her shoulder, her guttural noises even more frequent. To make matters worse, what sounded like dozens of frogs croaking deeply at once surrounded them, but the source of the noises could not be seen in the dark although were very similar to the undead groans. After a short while the glowing monarch butterfly shone into their presence once more just shortly ahead of them, leading the way to the castle.

"Mer
diaaan." Liza's own grunting and groaning sounded worse as she began to speak, "Maayyk suooh." She slumped forward, sliding off the horse like a sack of potatoes. Had they been riding during the day they could see nearly half of the horse was now red, Liza's blood strikingly contrasting the white Haflinger.

Last edited:
  • Love
Bella gave Liza a stricken look. She seemed as if about to say something, but offered a wan smile instead. No one had called her that in quite some time, years in fact. It was the nickname her father used for her mother and the very name that Bella herself was named for. Many had tried to attribute the moniker to her as well. It used to annoy her and she would promptly correct whomever addressed her as such, that her name was "Bell-ah," emphasizing the last syllable. Perhaps years of this correction finally won over as, what seemed to her a mistake more than a friendly gesture, finally ceased. She decidedly accepted the compliment.

"Thanks." The redhead was genuinely grateful for the hand up. Stirrups were hard to hold onto with bare feet whereas she usually caught the pieces of metal in the crook of her boot where the heel started. She threw her leg over, never one to ride side-saddle, and took the reigns so Liza could get on. "Whoa whoa whoa!" She grasped the horse's sides with her knees and leaned forward as the animal reared up. She reached up to pet the horse's neck as she turned to Liza. Then let out her own shriek.

As if from nowhere, there appeared the woman with the wine-colored hair from the party weeks ago. It quickly became clear that Liza's cry was a result of her literally stabbing her in the back with... her nails? No, claws. Horror and disgust spread across Bella's face as it paled to match the horse's hide. Similarly to the creatures they had just escaped, her skin burned, apparently from the silver. She certainly wasn't one of them, however; she lacked the look and stench of death. Then, perhaps, she truly was as the Prince - a vampire. Whatever the case, she was atrocious and deserved every drop of what Bella supposed was holy water.

Bella grabbed Liza's arm to help hoist her onto the mount's back. In the dark, it was hard to tell how badly she was bleeding. The smell of blood was evident enough, though; and it was worrying. Her speech was slurred and she seemed to be in and out of consciousness. It became clear just how bad it was when Liza crashed to the ground.

"Liza!?" Grabbing the reins, Bella pulled the horse to a stop and turned it round to go back. She slid off its back and knelt beside her. "Liza? Can you sit up?" Bella asked, tearing a long scrap of her sleeve from her nightgown. "Please, do what you did before!" She spoke to the ring, desperate for its light and its safety. The sound of what she assumed was more of those undead things was closing in on them. She hastily wrapped Liza's wounds as best she could, ripping off more of her gown as necessary. She gently laid Liza back down and stood, stepping carefully in front of the horse.

"She's lost a lot of blood. She won't be able to get up on her own. Can you lay down?" She spoke softly and as steadily as her trembling voice would allow, gazing into the horse's eyes. It was a lot to ask of a nervous horse, but there were no other options. Taking the reins, she guided the horse to lay down, as she had done when training Farren as a yearling. Once she managed to get Liza on, she bid the horse to stand and climbed on. She sat behind Liza, her arms on either side of her to keep her from falling off again. Her crossbow was over Bella's shoulders so Liza could lean back against her.

"Go!" Bella turned the horse in the direction she had seen the monarch and nudged it into a gallop. They weaved around and between trees, leaping over fallen logs and branches, and tearing through the underbrush until the reins were slick with sweat. Only did they slow down a bit when they finally burst through the trees and could see the castle below. They rode right up to the large front doors and Bella wheeled around to pound on the door with one fist. She couldn't get off to go in, lest Liza fall off.

"Hello!? Henry?!" She called out the first name that came to mind. Surely if anyone would be able to help Liza, it would be him. "Anybody!?"

Last edited:
  • Love
The castles residents awoke from their sleep by the pounding of the door reverberating through the many corridors. Their lack of visitors didn't prevent Henry from remaining vigilant every night, patrolling the grounds for hours, always keeping a watchful eye out. By now, though, he would have grown tired and sat to rest in the Prince's den, stoking the fireplace and perhaps even sampling an ale or two to his discretion, although he never dared sit in the Prince's chair, not that there was a shortage of seats in the den anyways.

He often fell asleep sitting straight up, still covered from neck to toe in his armor, very rarely turning in for the night. It was often Imogen who would prod him awake with a broom, suggesting he went to the kitchen for breakfast or coffee as the sun crept over the horizon and the castles windows were to be inspected to ensure all the curtains were drawn. What put matters into perspective was how Henry couldn't shake the thought that all his efforts were almost in vain, seeing as he was only one man and he stood no chance against the perpetrators who had trapped him in the first place, knowing full well he was at their mercy or perhaps a pawn in some grand scheme, a sitting duck basically.

This night particularly Imogen would not be the one to wake him. Instead his eyes shot open the moment Bella started pounding on the door. It would be hard to recognize her voice, she was likely the most soft spoken out of anyone he knew, which now was reduced to a handful of people. Henry shot up from the velvet couch pressed against the wall. Jaron had traversed several stories and flights of stairs in an astonishingly few seconds, something he rarely had to do. He stood in the main hall at the dens entrance, visibly alarmed. Nostrils flaring, mouth watering, eyes dilating, all symptoms that occurred when someone had begun externally hemorrhaging nearby, he had sensed the two from nearly a mile away. What made matters worse for him was the fact he could distinctly recognize people exclusively by their scent if they were bleeding. By the look on his face there was cause for great alarm.

"Elizabeth is dying," he confessed gravely. Henry hesitated for a moment mouth agape as everything sunk in. Jaron was already yanking the doors open.

They frantically carried her downstairs into the workshop, laying her onto her side upon the table. Jaron pressed his palms onto the side of her head, brushing at her eyes and cheeks with his thumbs, "Elizabeth! Elizabeth! Don't fall asleep! Elizabeth!" Henry took the initiative to pour a few vials of some brightly colored substance down her throat while Jaron held her up to prevent her from choking. Imogen descended the spiral staircase as fast she possibly could whilst holding a tray of various medical supplies as well as a basket of towels that hung off her arm.

Everyone communicated in rushed and panicked tones as they frantically removed every piece of clothing between them and the ten gashes on her back until only her bra remained. They proceeded to hold her still and press towels onto her wounds as much as possible. "She's unconscious," Henry affirmed the obvious amidst the ensued panic, unsure of what else to do or say. Jaron evidently could not keep himself from panicking, "I told you not to get involved with the girl!" he bellowed as if he expected some kind of rebuke from her. Imogen cried out at Jaron's hollering, "The bleeding won't stop, Jaron! She's not going to make it!"

Jaron stared intently at a dying Liza, like he was searching for something in her eyes. "Enough," he placed himself between the table and the others as he lay Liza on her back, "I'm sorry," he confessed, gripping her head and shoulder as he sunk his teeth into the arteries of her neck. "No, Jaron!" Imogen cried out, nearly pulling him away if not for Henry who held her back, "Everybody, upstairs, now." Henry ordered, brushing Imogen out of the workshop and up the spiraling stairs. Imogen sighed angrily as she stomped her way back to the main hall, rubbing her temples. She was beside herself and pressed Bella as they stood outside the basement door, not bothering to address her appearance, "What, how.....why.....whats going on? What in gods name is happening?" her words almost a hushed whisper - she looked clearly revolted by the heinous sight in the workshop, gazing at Bella with that same hysterical look she had the first time they laid eyes on each other.

Last edited:
  • Love