Into the Woods

Whether blank or not, the young man's stare remained just as cold and hard to Bella as it was the first time he gazed upon her in the dungeon. Even when she turned her own gaze away, she could feel his. It was almost as if the Prince was staring right through her to the back of the chair she sat in, no more visible than the air around them. With each second of silence, Bella's heart sank a little. She wanted her questions answered, yet was afraid to hear the answers at the same time for fear of what they might be. Bella lowered her head, hiding behind her copper fringe as if the thin curtain of locks would make her invisible to him.

"What?" The redhead gasped under her breath, abruptly snapping her head back up. Had she heard that correctly? Were her ears playing tricks on her? What did he mean he didn't know why? Bella opened her mouth to ask, but what Jaron said next rendered her speechless. "But that's... why would..." She stammered incredulously, feeling suddenly like the wind had been knocked out of her. Again she hid her eyes behind her hair, if just to calm the urge to tear up burning in them. After a moment, she sat up straight once more. "Couldn't I have some sort of last request? I may not be losing my life in the literal sense, but I am losing the life I've known, the life I love. Could I not have just a little time to go home? To say 'good-bye?' Couldn't you - won't you - consider it? Even just a little?" Bella asked softly, eyes pleading. "My word may mean nothing to you, but I promise I'll come back and I won't ask to leave again."

Last edited:
Reactions: marcy
With such haste did Jaron deem Bella his prisoner, it caused him to forget exactly what he was taking from the poor maiden. At the thought of the many years the Prince had spent alone within the castle, without the embrace or benevolence of a loving family, a wave of sympathy suddenly overcame the young man, for both of their sake. Quite rarely did Jaron allow compassion to overcome judgement, but the misery Bella was destined to face was a misery they would unwillingly share.

"You don't need to remind me the value of your word." Jaron remarked almost distastefully. He stared at Bella briefly, contemplating her request. The idea of her walking out of the castle doors alone filled him with dread, yet he knew not why.

"Where is your home?...Where do you live?" The Prince inquired.

Bella's golden gaze remained trained on Jaron's pale face, watching his expression for changes. Briefly, at the back of her mind, she wondered if his face wasn't etched in stone. No, marble. His features were well-defined and cold, but somehow lacked the hardness that came with stone. Besides, the color of marble best resembled his complexion. Bella winced at the Prince's tone. "On the edge of the woods, just outside Esterwell. At the Forge House." She answered softly, though without hesitation.

Jaron sat quietly, the light rumble of a thunderstorm accompanying the silence as The Prince recalled a distant night on the edge of an enduring forest that fought hard against the wind of a storm similar to the one outside the castle on this very night. Lightning flashed on the edge of the tightly shut curtains within the hallways, illuminating Sophia's young and blooming face as she sat curled up against the wall, listening intently.

The Monarch, as always, fluttered wildly, as if it could feel Jaron's compassion overpowering his rage. It seemed as if Jaron too could feel sympathy overcoming ire, the idea itself only fueling the latter.

"I save you from the dungeon on my own accord, provide you with a bedroom far more lavish than you deserve, and already you ask to quit my company, before even suffering for a moment the punishment you do deserve?"

The Prince's voice grew louder with each passing moment, causing Sophia to tighten her grip on her cloak and squeezing her eyes even tighter, as if by command she could make the blood eyed man disappear. Jaron stomped out of his seat, crossing to the other side of the study in vexation before turning back towards Bella. His movements were unusually quick, his muscles and veins contorting in a violent fret of built up rage from over the years, all visible as a result of his sickly pale skin.

"I am tempted to throw you back into that dungeon for days upon days than allow you to step foot outside this castle for even a MOMENT!"

The day had been frustrating, its events agitating The Prince's already delicate temper. All rationality had vanished, and Jaron left alone once more, with only a stranger from the woods to release his rage upon.

With each word the Prince spoke, Bella slowly narrowed her eyes. For a moment, it seemed the young man might grant her wish. Then again, it was probably nothing more than her own wishful thinking getting her hopes up. As he stood from behind his desk and moved across the study, Bella furrowed her copper brows. Why was he so bent out of shape? Had she said something to make him angry again?

"There's no telling. I'm willing to bet he's always angry over something. The sun shining, the wind blowing in one direction instead of another, the temperature of his tea.." The redhead thought ruefully, rolling her eyes since she knew he would not see her do so. Bella didn't move to watch Jaron, and did not look at him as he came back towards her. She merely squinted as he yelled, as if a fierce wind was blowing in her face.

"If you do not want to grant my request, all you need to say is 'no.'" She said in a low voice, jaw clenched indignantly.

Jaron stared at Bella in a fierce state of astonishment, eyes wide as the fire within him was only fumed by the girls blatant impudence, and her refusing to look at him increased this fire tenfold. He stomped towards his desk and slammed his hand on its edge, gripping it tightly as he glared at Bella, contemplating how tight he wanted to wrap his hands around her neck. The wood creaked harshly with each passing moment as cracks began to spread around the area of the desk Jaron's hand gripped. Bella was lost, and ultimately alone, her fate now rested in the pale hands of a cursed Prince, and yet, even on furious impulse, the young heir of the throne could not find it within himself to release his rage upon the girl.

"HENRY!" Jaron shouted, his voicing booming, his eyes glaring. The door shot open almost immediately as Henry stepped briskly into the study. He did not dare leave anybody in a room alone with The Prince. "Your Highness?" He replied, standing cautiously behind Bella.

"Get her out." Jaron ordered in a blank tone, his gaze slowly averted towards the ground. An audible crack emanated from the desk and throughout the study as a result of the young mans unrelenting vice grip. Henry remained still, analyzing The Prince for a moment. His eyes remained furious, but it was apparent this fury no longer had Bella within its sights.

Henry placed his hand gently on Bella's shoulder, but his stoic gaze remained fixated on Jaron. "Let's go." He ordered quietly, and stood between the two as he waited for Bella to exit the room.

Difficult as it was, Bella kept her eyes trained on the empty space behind Jaron's desk. Even as he came back towards her and slammed his hand down on the edge of the desk, her gaze did not falter. However, she did look at his hand and the desk beneath it. The wood creaked as if it was in pain, splintered cracks radiating outward and over the edge of the desk from beneath the Prince's pale hand. Bella's squint altered into a glare, then she resumed staring beyond the desk into the empty space behind it.

Despite her facade of determined bravado, Bella was frightened. She wasn't as frightened for herself as she was for her family. What if she upset him so much that he sent his hulking manservant to drag them to the dungeon? The last thing she wanted was for them to suffer for her inability to listen to orders. In the back of her mind, Bella was glad that her hands were buried in the skirt of her dress. She didn't want Jaron to see.

She winced when the Prince yelled for Henry, listening with displeasure at the sound of the man's heavy footsteps approaching. Only when the man addressed her did she rise from the chair and look at Jaron. Her expression wasn't angry or sad, rather disappointed, as if the Prince had let her down somehow. She slipped smoothly past the both of them and out the door.

"If you're going to vent your frustration." Henry said cautiously, eyes beaming towards Jaron, "I implore you to do so in your chambers, lest you wish to further damage the many valuables within your study."

Henry, in a uniform like manner, exited the study, and shut the double doors behind him. He turned to address Bella when a loud and sudden crash reverberated from behind the set of double doors. An uproar of wood and glass crashing into one another could be heard, followed by Jaron's enraged grunts. Henry's valiant demeanor faltered, his expression quite similar to the one Bella sported not moments ago. Quickly, he ushered Bella down the hallway, away from the study and back towards her bedroom. Sophia and The Monarch quit the shadows and followed not far behind. Lightning continued to shine past the windows curtains, each time followed by a rumble of thunder.

"You're a fool." Henry stated plainly, now holding a lantern. His eyes remained fixed on the hallway before him. "One could assume you do not value your life, the way you talked back to The Prince with such disrespect." He held the door open for Bella, the jingle of keys could be heard as she entered the room. The bulky servant glanced at her, his eyes containing less malice than earlier. "Do not leave this room until you are called upon."

And with that, the door slammed shut, and locked.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ashi
Almost as instantly as the doors shut behind Bella, she could hear the Prince's rampage ensue. She stole a split-second glance at the doors, as if she could see through them to the torrent of rage and broken wood and glass, before Henry rushed her down the hallway. Once the two were far enough along the corridor, Bella dropped just behind Henry. Just like with the Prince, she didn't look at Henry, though not so much due to impudence as solemnity. It didn't register immediately that the man was speaking to her until he mentioned the Prince.

"'Disrespect?' I'm disrespectful for asking to go home? Or for not responding to his threat the way he might have liked?" Bella looked up at the soldier with an expression of mixed anger and convincing horror. She shook her head incredulously at this, her gaze gradually dropping to the floor in front of her feet. "Indeed, I am a fool." The words were no more than a mutter, but that wouldn't keep Henry from hearing them. "I'm a fool for ever stepping foot into that forest. I'm a fool for ever laying eyes on this God-forsaken place!" She nearly shouted, fists clenched and shaking at her sides. The redhead paused in the doorway of the room, meeting his glance with her own. Her eyes held no anger, except perhaps that which was directed at herself; mostly they appeared dejected. Without a word, Bella stepped in, jumping slightly as the door slammed behind her.

"Why bother saying that if you're going to lock the door?" She thought ruefully. After a moment of simply gazing across the room to the windows, she kicked off her boots and took off her dress, which she hung over one open door of a wardrobe. She watched the storm until she got tired enough to sleep.

Last edited:
Silence followed the violent storm that had drenched the forest surrounding the castle. After a few long and silent hours, the sun began to rise above the far off mountains, shining on the woods prickly and barren trees. From the castle to the nearest town, not a soul inhabited the woods in-between. The windows and outer walls glowed a warm orange-hue as a typical day in the castle had begun, with the exception of a certain copper haired guest.

"The Prince does not want her to remain in the bedroom all day. I have been instructed to oversee her perform chores throughout the grounds." Henry stated firmly. Imogen blocked his path down the hallway that lead towards Bella's room. She stood in a composed posture, in her arms lay a clean change of women's clothing. Despite her composure, her eyes appeared heavy, suggesting a restless night. Still, she did not move an inch, and was determined to not allow Henry down the hallway.

"I can watch over her. The last thing she needs is for you to traumatize her further. Tell Jaron that I will keep an eye on her for the time being, and if he has a problem with that, he can speak to me." Imogen's words were bold, but she spoke them with unease, as if she were struggling to remain as composed as she appeared to be. She then spoke in a delicate tone. "The girl could use some kindness right about now, and I doubt you're going to provide any. Just let me watch her. I'll make sure she stays busy.

The Housekeeper managed a crooked but genuine smile. "Please?" she asked gingerly. Vaguely moved by Imogen's plead, Henry glanced at Bella's door. Although doubtful, he nodded in agreement. Rarely did he allow compassion to interfere with his duty as a soldier, but the odds were stacked heavily against Bella, and even Henry, with all his stoic eminence, could not ignore sympathy. Quickly, the solider turned and exited the hallway. Swiftly he turned the corner and marched towards the main hall.

Imogen, with a sigh of relief, approached the bedroom door. The episode she experienced when having met Bella for the fist time came crawling into her mind, and she took a deep breath. Carrying a change of clothes in her right arm, she carefully opened the door with her left. As quietly as she could possibly move, Imogen crossed towards the rooms dresser and set the pile of clothes on top. A startled gasp escaped her as suddenly Sophia had dashed through the open bedroom door and towards the queen sized bed Bella lay in. The child wore ordinary clothes, which were now clearly visible as she no longer sported her cloak. Excitedly, she poked her head above the side of the bed, observing Bella curiously as she lay asleep.

"Good-morning." She blurted out loud, a smile plastered on her round and soft face that radiated youth. "Sophia!" Imogen whispered, nearly in horror at the girls abruptness.

Silence hung thick in the dark room. Pale golden light cast a honey-colored glow onto the rosy carpet. Pillows and blankets littered the bed, the sleeping young woman disappearing amongst them. Heavy breaths of sleep and dreams lingered in quiet hums on her soft lips. Bella lay on her stomach, buried under the mass of covers and pillows. She was sound asleep, deep in a dream that refused to let her wake. The entrance of the two didn't stir her in the least, at least not until the child bid her a good morning. Rolling over on her side, Bella opened her eyes and blinked. Her eyes rolled heavily back and closed again.

"Celine.. Just a little longer..." She murmured, yet unaware that it was not her sister speaking to her as in her dream. A minute passed that the redhead seemed to have drifted off to sleep again, then she jerked upward into a sitting position. The covers fell back from her shoulders, revealing the unruly tangled mess that her hair had become. Evidently, she had tossed and turned much of the night.

"Hm?" Bella squinted her tired eyes against the morning light, her eyes slowly drifting downward to fall on the young face that peered up at her over the edge of the bed. "Sofie..?" She murmured again, her head turning so that her amber gaze fell on Imogen. It didn't register immediately who she was, not there was a name for her to put to the woman's face yet. "Oh!" The surprise showed on her face, though it was not the same as the previous night. It lacked anxiety and fear.

Imogen's brow furrowed at the mention of Celine's name as confusion trumped the horror she felt as a result of Sofie's abrupt entrance. She leaned towards Sophia, eyeing Bella cautiously. Without warning, the copper-haired girl shot up into a sitting position. Imogen shrieked in horror, once more, and covered her mouth with her left hand whilst clenching the right anxiously. Sophia gazed at Bella curiously.

"I'm sorry!" Imogen blurted, that same fearful expression from the evening before returning. "I-I have, clothes, I-" Her hands began to desperately search her person. Sophia trotted towards the dresser, scooping the change of clothes Imogen brought into her arms. Imogen sighed, embarrassed. "Ah, yes, um, there is, a bath - i've prepared a bath - for you, because, well..."

"You're dirty." Sophia intervened, scrunching her nose.

"Sophia! I'm sorry - she - Sofie, go, help Landon with breakfast!" Imogen demanded. Sophia, giggling quietly, trotted towards the door and out of the room. "There is, a bath, prepared for you." Imogen began, in the midst of composing herself. It seemed as if each word she spoke took a considerable amount of effort. "I, took the liberty of, uh, assembling clothes. I wasn't entirely sure what your size is, I couldn't make it out, you were so drenched and...I, I just pulled a simple housekeepers outfit from the closet, I didn't know what else to..."

Bella's eyes widened at Imogen, perhaps due to the terrified shriek, yet her expression otherwise remained calm. Her presence was unexpected, but so was Sophia's. She opened her mouth to speak only to close it again, blinking incredulously. She still wasn't sure of what to say, and anything she might have said was trumped by the suddenly awkward atmosphere.

"Oh, um.." The redhead started, pausing as Sophia put in her comment. Bella briefly glanced at the child, blushing in a mix of frustration and embarrassment. Her attention turned back to Imogen as she practically rushed Sofie out the door. There was an apparent state of unease between the two and she wanted to amend it.

"Th-thank you." Bella stammered at first, offering a meek smile. "I'm not sure either, to be honest. Cel -" She started then paused, considering what she was about to say before finishing, "My sister would know." Reaching a hand up, she forked her fingers through her copper tangles, which didn't do much good. Then, she slid out of bed and stretched. As she turned and really looked at the woman, her smile became warmer. It was clear that Imogen wasn't like Henry or Jaron. "I... I'm sorry.. about yesterday." Her voice lowered a little as she recalled the unfortunate series of events. She perked up as best she could and offered a curtsy. "I'm Bella."

Imogen was surprised the girl could put forth such a benevolent demeanor considering the circumstances she found herself in. It was admirable. Even so, the Housekeeper could not shake the overwhelming sense of caution within her. Her ability to socialize with strangers had inevitably become null. However, the sight of Bella's curtsy brought a timid, warm smile to her face. Then, some giggling. Then, a lot more giggling. Within a few short moments Imogen had altered from a nervous wreck to a cackling one. She stood upright before Bella, burying her face in the girls change of clothes at an attempt to cease her laughter. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, oh my," the housekeeper stammered in-between her laughs. "Your hair," She managed, "It's...it's a mess." She closed her eyes, and after a deep and relaxing breath, opened them.
"I'm Imogen, Imogen Lorelle."

Last edited:
"H-huh?" Bella eyed Imogen curiously as she stood straight again. The woman smiled, and if for a second, seemed less anxious. The smile was followed by some giggling, which wasn't anything significant so the girl thought. At first said giggles were quiet but they steadily grew louder until the woman was laughing. "Was it something I said?" Bella wondered, feeling a bit concerned. She was about to ask Imogen if she was alright when she managed to, somewhat breathlessly, explain between fits of laughter. "My... hair?" She repeated and took a couple of steps toward the vanity to look in the mirror. Her face flushed at the sight of her hair and she gave an embarrassed smile. "I seem to have been practicing standing on my head while I slept. It will do better once it's clean." Running her fingers through it, Bella attempted to fix her hair, giving up after a moment. Once Imogen regained her composure, Bella followed her to the bath.

Water dripped from the silver faucet, rippling into the fluffy white sails of the sudsy boats that floated along the water's surface. Steam rose from the tub in thick, slow moats, carrying with it the sweet smell of soap. A staggering number of candles lit the room; their light danced on the surface of the water and exaggerated the carved designs on the marble tub. Bella sighed and blew at the flame of a nearby candle, watching it flicker as if in a panic. There had been some initial unrest about the bath, as she felt quite insecure about bathing in a place that was not home. Having done so did make her feel just a little bit at ease and she was not ready to leave that calm atmosphere, especially if it meant she would have to face the Prince.

Bella grasped her wet locks and squeezed the water from them, grabbing a towel off a nearby rack. She was glad to have brought the change of clothes with her and put them on once she was dry. The dress fit though not so well as hers, but it would do until hers was cleaned. Upon returning to her room, she sat down at the vanity with the towel still in her hands to dry her hair. Luckily, her hair didn't need so much in the way of brushing that running her fingers through it did not suffice, as she did not feel she ought to touch any of the fine brushes or combs in the drawer of the vanity.

Last edited:
"Breakfast!" It shouted; It being the nine year old that had hidden herself beneath the small hill of pillows and blankets atop what had been Bella's temporary bed for the night. In her arms was the youngsters green cloak, and in that cloak was a small assortment of red and green apples, about five or six in total. Sophia flung her cloak out onto the side of the bed, causing each apple to slide down the cloak in a waterfall like manner. The apples rolled onto the clean and clear, pristine floor of the guest room befitting a princess.

Sophia chased the apples to the floor, rolling down the side of the bed herself. She couldn't help recalling her earlier days within the castle when she frequented the princesses room quite often, even having slept in the room dozens upon dozens of times. Many, many sleepovers, pillow forts and blanket towns had been assembled within this very room, although never with enough people to enjoy them with, certainly not any newcomers, and definitely not with anybody that might at least try to enjoy them.

And Sophia, despite being more aware of the entire situation both of the girls had found themselves in than she even knew, buried any foreshadowing thoughts and rational worries as best a child could, and instead focused on befriending this brand newcomer. Bella was, after all, without a doubt in her heart, the nicest person Sophia had the pleasure of meeting in a while.

A long, long while.

Ardently, the youngling crawled through the floor, chomping onto a green apple with her left hand and gripping a red one using her right.
"Breakfast!"
She persisted, and with four confident steps, stomped towards the vanity and extended the red apple towards Bella. It was clear Bella would have to fight her way out of the room if she planned to leave it on an empty stomach.

Just moments ago, Imogen was blazing through the castle hallways towards the east wing with Sophia hot in her sights. Time and time again she told the girl not to steal fruit from the kitchen, nor wander too far off into the castle without supervision. Admittedly, the latter rule had fallen off in recent years, as Sophia's adventuring in the castle was clearly inevitable at this point, but the apples, well, that was different.

Or, it was different, until she was inches from the bedroom, peering inside, watching Sophia pluck apples up off the floor, offering one to Bella. If Imogen wasn't scolding Sophia, she was either telling her what to do or where to go. The child had grown so independent since their earlier days in the castle, the housekeeper hadn't realized how much a child must yearn for a new friend after so many years locked inside. Maybe that was why the apples didn't seem like such a big deal anymore. Imogen leaned against the door, gently gripping the knob. For reasons she couldn't quite understand, she felt the urge to watch the two interact for just a moment longer.

Last edited:
Bella gave a start when the mound of pillows and blankets upon the bed exclaimed "Breakfast!" She turned on the small seat at the vanity to see Sofie pop up, holding her cloak, which she flung towards the side of the bed. With several soft thumps, a mix of bright red and green apples toppled over the edge of the bed and rolled across the floor in every which direction. Bella's first thought was the question of how long the child had been hiding there. The next question would have undoubtedly been about the apples; however, it had already been answered. Sofie had brought them for breakfast. For a moment, Bella merely watched, apparently amused. Then with a smile, she took the offered apple.

"Thank you." Bella said around a bite of the fruit. The apple was crisp and sweet, even the skin was perfect, lacking bruises. "Sophie, right? Or do you prefer Sophia?" The redhead asked conversationally, leaning forward with one elbow on her lap. She had heard the child called both, so either name was correct. "I'm Bella." She added, realizing that while she knew Sophie's name, she probably didn't know hers. Standing briefly, she sat on the floor in front of Sofie.

"By the way, thank you for yesterday. I hope you didn't get into trouble." There was a peculiar softness to Bella's voice as she thanked the little girl. It was perhaps due to the way she seemed so upset by Jaron's presence when they met in the dungeon, as she didn't want to upset her all over again. Even though she thanked her then too, the one time wasn't nearly enough. She wished to ask about the castle, about him; although, the timing hardly seemed appropriate. If just to keep herself from asking more questions, Bella took another bite of the apple.

Last edited:
"Bella." Sophia repeated, her eyes beaming in admiration towards the copper-haired girl before her. Although she recalled hearing the name, she hadn't been keen enough to assume it was hers. "Mmmmmm." Sophie puckered her lips and darted her eyes all over the room before her in thought. "You can call me anything, but my friends name is-" Without warning, it looked almost as if the Monarch had appeared from thin air as it rushed to cover Sophia's talkative mouth. So rarely was the girl afforded the pleasure of speaking to someone new, she had nearly forgotten the many secrets she was meant to keep. The girl gently placed a finger below her bottom lip, amused at the sight of the Monarch crawling onto her finger, down her forearm and up atop her head. "Never mind, I'll tell you later." She said in an assuring tone, with newfound confidence in her ability to keep secrets.

"Sophie it is, then." Bella smiled, feeling just a little as though she had a friend in the castle. Perhaps little sister was more appropriate. They did look a little bit alike, after all. She took pause at the mention of a friend and might have asked about said friend if that friend hadn't answered the question. It was the Monarch, who promptly landed upon Sofie's lips, silencing her. Wait. It was just a butterfly. Could it really do such a thing? "No, it's not just a butterfly. There's got to be more to it than that."

"Oh, it's you." The redhead said ruefully, eyeing the suspicious little creature. "Some friend."

Imogen rapped on the door, which sent shivers up Sophia's spine. The hooded girl squealed, jumping into the mountain of pillows and blankets. Both Bella and Sophia received a dubious glare from Imogen, who had unintentionally eavesdropped on their conversation. She would've felt bad, if she hadn't heard talk of a
"Friend?" She asked aloud, her brow furrowed in suspicion. "What friend?" Sophia, without warning, began to giggle underneath the blankets and pillows. The monarch butterfly had vanished, not a trace of its presence lingered in the room.

Bella was startled by the sudden knock at the door and Imogen's presence. How long had the woman been there? She shot a glance towards Sofie, who hid in the bedding, and all around her. The Monarch was gone, as if it had never been there. Bella opened her mouth to speak only to close it again and blushed profusely. What was she supposed to say? It appeared that Imogen wasn't aware of the butterfly's existence. Was it possible that maybe only Sofie and Bella could see it? Even in the dark corridor the previous day, the Prince didn't seem to notice it.

"It disappeared." Bella tried wanly after a moment, though she didn't expect Imogen to believe her, considering her bewildered gaze. It was evident the two were not going to explain themselves, yet Imogen retained her suspicion. She was nearly about to search the room, when more pressing matters flooded her thoughts.

"Bella," She began, with a hint of caution in her tone, "Please, come with me. You and I have business to take care of. And you!" she gestured towards Sophia, "You behave." One could almost hear the lack of confidence in Imogen's voice as she instructed Sophia to behave. It was a fruitless effort, but she would not give in to the girls mischief. Briskly, she turned and started down the hallway. Rather than bark orders at their poor guest, she simply assumed Bella would catch up quickly. She wanted to make things easier for the girl, having faith she would not seek to escape.

Even as the sun climbed to its peak, the castle still remained significantly dim, every window hidden behind massively large curtains that were tightly shut. Many of the closed and locked doors Bella had passed the night before were now unlocked, some even open. Every single room was in disarray in some way or another, whether it be paintings out of order, crooked or on the floor, lesser decorated and lavish rooms with unmade beds and clothing spread about, boxes filled with decor. Each room was a mess to be tackled at some point or another.

Imogen lead Bella to the first room on the first floor of the east wing. Beside the door lay an assortment of cleaning supplies; dust pans, brooms, mops, two buckets of water, rags. The room itself was riddled with a variety of furniture; chairs, couches and stools of various material. In a lively manner, Imogen crossed towards each window in the room, and with a slight tug on string, flushed the room with sunlight from the outside. Although the two were on the first floor of the east wing, the entire east wing itself was quite the distance from ground level. Beyond the window was a sea of forest. The storm had long passed, only blue resided in the sky.

"It's not difficult." Imogen began, "You are to clean every room with an open door until there is nothing left to clean. Take your time, but try to finish by lunch. We wouldn't want to give them an excuse to starve you."

Giving Sophia orders was one thing, but every word that left Imogen's mouth stung like alcohol on an open wound. These were her duties, not the girls. She wanted to be as straightforward and quick with her instructions as possible, lest her guilt get the best of her.

"I'll be on the second floor, if you need me." Except she could not bring herself to leave just yet. Imogen stood at the doorway, her posture facing the hall, her hand gripping tightly onto the wall, and her head, slightly turned to her right.

"Run, run as fast as you can and never return," She wanted nothing more at that moment than to say the words, and forced a smile.

"See you soon." Imogen muttered just loud enough to hear before pulling herself away from Bella and into the hallway, walking as fast she could.

Last edited:
  • Love
For a moment, Bella felt like a child caught telling a lie, with Imogen glaring down both her and Sofie. When the woman spoke her name, she expected she was going to be reprimanded. The yelling never came though, just Imogen telling her to go with her. Bella stood promptly and followed her out of the room, just a few steps behind. Yet again, what actually happened was not what the redhead expected. She was relieved to see cleaning supplies sitting outside of an open set of doors instead of something awful. There was, however, still a little apprehension on her part when she found she had to clean so many rooms.

Once Imogen's footsteps faded into silence, Bella set to work. She started each room by sweeping the floors, after which she would dust the furniture and maybe rearrange it if the room was cluttered like the first. To finish up she would mop. It was time consuming, but the system worked well enough. Every now and again, Bella would sit down a moment and swipe the beads of sweat from her brow, thinking that she would likely need to bathe again when she was through. It must have been after noon when she finally finished, as indicated by the sunlight that poured through the open drapery. The hall was empty except for her that she could see as she walked slowly along in observation. There were many closed doors that were presumably still locked.

Each room she saw was richly decorated, even if there weren't many pieces of furniture in them. There was furniture and whatnots in all the styles and designs, and many more that were outside of Bella's experience. There were tables and chairs and divans in black wood and in all the hues of brown; in ivory, alabaster, and bone. There was even brass and copper and jade, silver and gold. There was nothing less than the finest craftsmanship. There were tapestries and paintings on the walls, statuary and china on elegant pedestals or in cabinets standing in alcoves. Gorgeous rugs alternated with polished marble floors and inlaid wood.

When Bella snapped out of her fascination, she found she didn't recognize where she was. There caught her attention a pale, dim light coming from underneath a set of closed doors. She raised a brow in curiosity and approached the doors, laying a hand gingerly on the handle. Surprisingly, the door opened, revealing a rather spacious room. There was an open slat in the many rich red drapes that covered the opposite wall, allowing a single shaft of sunlight to pour in. To one side of the room there were two sofas and chairs drawn up around a table; on the other there was a large black piano. The room was almost divided in half by a beautifully carved fireplace. Without thought, Bella approached the piano. There was a thin layer of dust on top of it; the keys were exposed. Sitting on the padded bench, she tapped a key. The piano rang with a soft tinkling note.

"I'm surely rusty, as I haven't touched a piano in months, but..." The redhead poised her hands over the keys. There had been a grand piano at home in Valford, a luxury not many could afford. Growing up, she and Celine even had lessons; however, only she ever kept playing after the lessons ended. While both she and the piano were a little out of tune, she played.

Last edited:
The spirit of a melody knows no bounds, that much is clear, and has been clear since the day sound transformed into art. The power of music goes without saying, and yet this is a fact Henry has only come to realize just now, on this day, as the enticing spirit of music lured him down the hallway, each key influencing every step the man took. There were countless luxuries men like Henry were never afforded the time to indulge in; a walk in the garden, a moment or two to admire the fine strokes of a painting. The mans sole purpose was to remain astute, diligent, and ready for action within every hour of the day, everyday.

And yet, music, one of the most grand luxuries one may come to know, is a luxury even a man like Henry could not ignore with all the diligence and astuteness in the world. Music tugged on the heartstrings of ones soul, and only those not in touch with their own could ignore such a privilege. Such vivid memories of castle halls, ballrooms and finely crafted music rooms much like the one Bella inhabited came rushing to the guards mind in an instant. He would stand guard beside his King and Queen, always ready for anyone or anything that could threaten the royal blood he was sworn to protect.

And yet, music, it continued to play, even as nobles, lord's and lady's of the land came and went, mingled and laughed. It tugged on the guards most zealous heartstrings against his will, much like it was doing now. It almost hurt to recollect these days, and the man knew he would never take such a day for granted again, if fate was merciful enough to give them back.

Henry, his presence masked by song, carefully took step after step towards Bella's direction, past the assortment of sofas, chairs and tables within the room, his eyes locked on her copper-red hair that swayed gently against the housekeepers outfit as she played. It was a bewildering sight, so much so that Henry almost assumed there was magic within the woods that locked lifetimes within castles and taught peasants to play the piano. As the final keys of the song came to their conclusion, Henry was released from his melodic trance, and saw Bella in a new light. Only then did he realize what walked through the castle doors the night before was so much more than a lost soul looking for a way back home.

"Where did you learn to play?" Henry asked, albeit he was filled to the brim with many, many more questions. Even so, he had a feeling the piano would be the key to his answers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Notes rang from the piano like little bells. While not so grand as they perhaps could have sounded, they were lovely nonetheless. Bella didn't hear Henry as he approached, not only because of the piano but because she was engrossed in the song and the memories it stirred. She recalled vividly the massive instrument that resided in the ballroom of her former home. She was fascinated by it since she wasn't yet tall enough to reach the keys. There wasn't a more exciting day for her than the first day of lessons. Not many girls in Valford took up music. They didn't too often read books either, for that matter. They engaged in needlework and learned how to be grand hostesses so they too could throw magnificent parties. Bella played at a few events, though only ones hosted by her family.

Henry's presence was made aware to Bella only when he spoke. She shrieked and pressed her hands down on the keys as she stood and whirled around, resulting in a harsh cry from the piano. The bench toppled over onto its side with a loud smack that echoed off the vaulted ceiling and marble floor and rang in the ears. For a moment, she stared wide-eyed at the man, her back pressed against the piano. When he made no move towards her, Bella relaxed, no longer tense but wary. She bent slowly to set the bench upright, brushing the cushion off as she stepped out from behind it.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you enjoy scaring people." Bella murmured, thinking, "Although, it doesn't appear you enjoy much of anything." She squinted her amber eyes at him, unsure of whether she should answer his question. Then, she still had the Prince's words to consider if she didn't. "I had a tutor growing up." She answered after a pause spent considering Henry's motives. It made little sense to her why he of all people would care to know such a thing. He seemed to be the one who wanted Bella gone almost as much as, if not more than, she wanted. She doubted he even knew her name. There was another pause before she mustered up the courage to ask:

"Why?"

Last edited:
In only a matter of a few short seconds Bella had given Henry several reasons to throw the girl in the dungeon for at least an entire day; she was trespassing, she had laid hands on the prince's instrument, knocked his furniture to the floor with a thud, possibly cracking the finely crafted wood that cost more than the girls entire forge house. And yet, the guard remained still, observing Bella in a new light. "A tutor?" He thought. Peasants could not hire tutors, and yet this girl lived within the house at the edge of the woods. He was sure she was nothing more than a commoner, and yet she played with the elegance of an amateur.

"You do not hail from Esterwell." He declared in the same tone one would use after solving a puzzle. Henry began to take in every aspect of the girls appearance, from her hair and skin all the way to her hands and fingers. Henry was a commoner himself, growing up. It was only until his line of profession brought him to castles and kingdoms that he noticed the difference a lifestyle can have on an individual, and it was clear Bella was not accustomed to the commoner lifestyle.

There was grace and sophistication behind her eyes, features he only saw within the women he encountered everyday prior to the incident. Bella was exuberantly poise, and it was all natural. Henry had seen false elegance numerous times throughout his life and career. It was a sad facade people portrayed simply to feel like they are of significant status or wealth. And yet Bella, who lived within a forge house at the edge of the woods, who he had seen drenched in rainwater from head to toe, an utter mess, carried within her the elegance others have so desperately professed.

Henry realized how long he had been analyzing Bella, and quickly averted his eyes, an action that confused him. There was an instinct that sparked within him, one that dictated his very behavior. He suddenly felt obligated to treat Bella with the same respect and reverence he would display towards royalty, albeit the fact she was their prisoner. A dozen questions were at the ready, but Henry silenced these thoughts, attending towards the business at hand, as he should. The man coughed, and trained his eyes on the floor before him, placing his hands behind his back diligently.

"Your morning duties have concluded. I will escort you to lunch." Henry turned and crossed towards the double doors with haste. Eagerly he wished to trek through the castle to process the confusion that now flooded his thoughts. Any intention the man had of sending Bella home as soon as possible had suddenly vanished. The more he thought about it, the more Bella's arrival was starting to become a good thing, and that was the most confusing aspect of it all.

"My, my, look what the woods dragged in." Landon teased as Henry escorted Bella into the castles main kitchen. The entire room was surrounded with a delicious aroma, as if they had ventured upon a buffet in a far away kingdom. "Lunch has already been served, Henry. Your plate awaits you at the table." He added gingerly whilst sitting on a stool, his sleeves rolled up as he dried off an array of pots and pans in a bucket of water. "Amarinda and Tobias have already taken their seats. Imogen is on the hunt for Sophia. As always, the prince does not want to start without her, or you, so best make your way there."

Henry, as always, stood completely still within the kitchen, a behemoth of diligence, and offered no comment towards any of Landon's gentle humor. To get away from Bella and his confusion seemed like a blissful idea, it would give him time to think, and thinking would lead to action. "Watch her." Was all Henry said. Said, not ordered. Henry never barked orders at Landon, he saw him as much more than a cook. Despite everything that's happened, Landon still meets everyday with a radiant smile. Even Henry couldn't ignore that.

Oddly enough, the kitchen was another room within the castle that allowed sunlight to pour through. As Henry passed through the door to the dining hall, an array of candlelight was visible, along with a chandelier.

Landon stood up, holding his soaking wet hands and arms in front of him in an attempt to keep the water off his clothes. He glanced towards Bella with a smile, and gestured towards the bucket of dishes that sat before him. "Mind taking my place for a bit?"

Last edited:
  • Love
With each second spent as the object of Henry's fixed concentration, Bella's angst grew. The man was intimidating enough just with his size and obvious strength, not withstanding his stoic expression and hardened gaze. It was impossible to tell what he could be thinking without any visible emotion to guess from. To be stared at so intensely for so long made her increasingly insecure and self-conscious. What was so interesting to look at? Surely not she. Bella swallowed hard and took a half step backward, averting her eyes. She could almost swear she felt his stare piercing her very being. Only did she dare to look at him again when he spoke.

"Ah, no. I, er, I'm from Valford." Bella timidly answered the question left by Henry's statement. That would perhaps answer some other questions. Valford was a rich city where even those considered commoners by the aristocrats were more well-off than the common folks of Esterwell. It was a bustling place that was host to a vast market and where people went to try to make a name for themselves. It would also undoubtedly bring about more questions. Bella's demeanor didn't fit that which was typical of aristocratic youth, especially not those from the city. She was not a socialite and was much humbler than the young women of Valford, though she did carry herself with a sort of grace that was uncharacteristic of young women in Esterwell.

Finally, Henry shifted his gaze; although, he did so in a way that struck even Bella as odd. She was relieved when he turned his back to her to escort her out, following a few feet behind. His stride was longer than hers, even at a leisurely pace she took three steps to his one. Bella could smell the kitchen before she got there and it made her stomach churn hungrily. The amount of sunlight pouring into the kitchen was so much that she squinted, though she found it pleasing. The warmth of the light paired with the delicious aromas served to make her feel less desolate. Bella visibly perked up as she entered the kitchen only to pout when Landon joked. She side-stepped Henry, allowing him plenty of space to make his hasty getaway. She got a peek of the dining hall when he exited through the other doors, which starkly contrasted the bright kitchen with darkness and candle light. Bella's copper brows furrowed at this, but it was quickly forgotten when Landon asked her to take his place.

"Alright," She nodded with a smile, handing him a towel as she took his seat on the stool. Once it was back in her hands, Bella picked up the blonde man's task of drying the dishes. She'd pluck one out of the water, dry it, and set it aside in one of several stacks depending upon what it was. The plates and cups and saucers she noticed were of very fine china, the utensils of the finest silver. The amount of detail in the etched design on each spoon and fork and knife was incredible.

Last edited:
Landon dried himself off with a rag as he crossed towards the middle island of the kitchen riddled with a variety of leftover ingredients and cooking utensils. Gingerly, he gripped a wooden spoon and began stirring away at a pot filled nearly to the brim with some broth. "I trust you slept well? That's quite the lavish bedroom you have to yourself." He spoke in his usual lively, empathetic tone. "More lively than a cold rock floor and a set of bars ever could be."

The cook jokingly referenced the dungeon Bella had reluctantly found herself in the night before. "Would you like to know a secret?" He said, almost mischievously, and began to slice away at some mushrooms. "You're the first young lady to sleep in that bed since I arrived, and I've lived here quite some time."

Landon remained quiet for a brief moment as he diced vegetables, tended to the broth and organized silverware. He seemed to be preparing a bowl of soup. "You must be special." He added, finally. There was a hint of mystery behind all of Landon's words that was difficult to catch through his cheery, lighthearted mannerisms. Briskly he poured the broth into a wooden bowl, and made sure to add some meat and just a pinch of seasoning.

"Okay, lets make a deal. You can have as much soup as you desire, but, you'll have to help me clean up afterwards." Landon crossed towards Bella, balancing the wooden bowl in the palm of his hand. He stood upright and still, waiting for a response albeit the fact he had already prepared the food for the girl and was quite certain she would accept his offer. "Consider this a reward for your help, just so Prince Yells-a-lot can't throw a fit if he finds out I fed you." He whispered keenly.

Last edited:
  • Love
"As well as I could have considering the circumstances, I suppose," Bella answered Landon's question with a little hesitation. She didn't like to think of the dungeon and didn't particularly appreciate the man's joke. It was quite the anomaly though that she wasn't still there. What was it that caused the Prince to grant a prisoner such a luxurious room? Bella wasn't sure exactly what to feel about it, whether she should be grateful to not have to stay in the dungeon or to resent him for keeping her there. If he didn't want her there in the first place, why not just throw her out? It made no sense to her and recalling the Prince's saying even he didn't know the reason why only ruffled her feathers further.

"The first?" The redhead was pulled from her thoughts by Landon's words. They roused her curiosity. Why was she the first? How long ago was it that Landon arrived at the castle? It must have been quite a long time if such a seemingly minute detail was so significant. "Me? 'Special?'" Bella frowned down at the pot in her hands, watching the stray droplets of water trickle across her reflection. After a moment, she shook her head and finished drying the pot. "Nonsense." Or so it seemed much to her to be nonsense. There really wasn't any telling without asking; and Bella didn't feel she had the right to ask, at least not yet. Quickly she dried the last few pots and pans, stacked them, and dried herself off. Landon came to stand by her, a bowl of soup in hand.

Yet again, Bella's stomach churned, reminding her that it was lunch time. Her amber eyes widened at the blonde man as she nodded in agreement to his deal. Briefly she wondered whether her family had already eaten their lunch. She quirked a copper brow when Landon whispered, like the Prince would really be able to hear him through those heavy oaken doors. "But why would he even care, unless he means to starve me to death?" Bella asked with a touch of grim humor. The Prince never had told her exactly what punishment she would receive. Hopefully that joke would not become reality. "Has he.. always been that way?" She inquired with a sideways glance toward the cook.

Last edited:
"In a way," Landon began, handing the bowl of soup to Bella, "I would say he used to be worse. The prince has.....we all have been through quite a lot recently. I believe in the end, it will change him for the better." He had been gazing out the window into the sunlight as he spoke, and made sure not to say anything further for fear of saying too much. Even so, there was this feeling Landon couldn't seem to shake, a feeling that said Bella would know a lot more with time. If she was who he thought she was, it would be inevitable. Without a doubt, Bella filled Landon with hope. He only wished he could express this to her now, but patience was essential.

The cook crossed towards a bowl of fruit that sat in the corner and swiped an apple from the pile, leaning on the counter as he took a bite. He waited for Bella to finish her soup, and tossed an apple core in the trash when she had finished. "Alright then, lets clean."

They needed no more than fifteen minutes to clean the entire kitchen, leaving the counters, dishes and pretty much every aspect of the kitchen in a pristine condition fit for a castle. Lunch had simultaneously concluded as well, and Sophie came barging into the kitchen at once, tackling Bella's side, wrapping her arms around the young woman's waist.

"Hello!" The girl shouted, removing her grip of Bella. "Henry says you can play for a little while, come, come!" She beckoned, grabbing Bella by the hand and pulling with all her strength, albeit the fact she wasn't nearly strong enough to drag Bella around. "Have fun you. That's an order!" Landon said, cleaning his hands with a rag. With that, he tossed the rag aside and left Bella alone with Sophia. The Monarch fluttered into the room past Landon as he exited the kitchen, landing on Sophia.

Sophie lead the way, drawing Bella towards a door in the kitchen that lead outside. The exterior of the castle was vast, riddled with trees, bushes, a variety of plants. They came upon a garden, with a pathway that lead towards a patio. Two children could be seen sitting at a table, reading books. With haste Sophia lead Bella towards them, eager to introduce her.

Amarinda sat up straight in an elegant posture, turning each page of the book in a nimble yet sophisticated manner. Tobias sat with his legs and arms crossed, his chin resting on his arms. "Hmph." Amarinda caught Bella's eye, and returned her gaze towards her book. "Sophie, did you even think to ask the prince if the prisoner was allowed outside? I am not in the mood to suffer for your negligence."

"Shhhh!"
Sophie pressed a finger to her lips, something she always did whenever Amarinda began to scold her. "Bella is on her break, she is free to step outside, the prince said so!" The prince did not at all say so, but Sophie knew Amarinda wouldn't bother to inquire whether such a statement was true. She had the girl figured out, and knew when lying would benefit her.

"Bella!" exclaimed Sophia, "That boy is Tobias, and that girl is Amarinda. They're my friends, and now you're a friend too. Let's play a game!"

"We're reading." Tobias muttered, his eyes hadn't left his book. "Shush Tobi!" Sophie retorted. "Stop shushing us!" Amarinda barked. There was an awkward atmosphere, the two usually didn't bicker with Sophia, however, the presence of a newcomer was odd, and the children of royalty felt inclined to make their status prominent in their behavior out of habit, but they both knew it was nothing more than a pointless formality, a facade. Both Amarinda and Tobias were brimming with curiosity, yet their royal pride prevented them from acting upon such a desire.

Last edited:
  • Love
"Used to be worse?" Bella thought with a precarious glance in Landon's direction. It was hard to imagine how the Prince could have possibly been any worse than he was now and wondered where progress, if any, had been made. What was it that was supposed to change him? "I'm glad I didn't come sooner. I should hate to have seen that." She said with a touch of ambiguous humor, muttering the last part to herself. No more was said after that until lunch had concluded and it was time to clean up the kitchen. All the while, Bella wondered what Landon meant. Cleaning took surprisingly little time for such a large kitchen and it was left shining as brightly as the sunlight in the windows.

"Oh!" Bella was surprised when Sofie barged through the doors and threw her arms around her, but was happy to see her. "Hi," She smiled with a small laugh and patted the child's head. "Oh? Well, that's.. nice of him? What are we going to play?" The child's explanation struck a chord of curiosity in Bella, evident in her tone of voice; however, she didn't voice any doubts. Landon calmed them before she could, telling her to go have fun. She felt at least a little bit assured and followed along with Sofie, hand in hand, through the kitchen door.

The door led outside and down a little path into a garden. There were stands of trees, bushes, and a variety of flowers and other vegetation scattered over the vast expanse of land that Bella could see. She wondered briefly how much land surrounded the castle, pulled from her meandering by the sight of the two children before her. There was a boy and a girl, both apparently older than Sofie; each sat reading a book. Only the girl looked up from her book at Bella, promptly returning her gaze to the pages. She scolded Sofie for bringing Bella outside, most likely without permission, and Sofie shushed her. A pang of panic rose in Bella, the Prince's words from the night before echoing in her mind: "I am tempted to throw you back into that dungeon for days upon days than allow you to step foot outside this castle for even a MOMENT!"

"Um, Sofie.." Bella said softly and crouched beside the little girl. "Perhaps it would be best if we played inside? We could play hide and seek. I used to like to play with my sister when we lived in our big house when I was little. There were so many places to hide. I bet a castle has even more, much better places to hide than a big house." She smiled, hoping Sofie would go for it. The last thing she wanted was for her or Sofie to get in trouble for her being outside. "Amarinda and Tobias don't have to play if they don't want to; although, I'm sure it would be much more fun if they did."

Last edited:
"Children's games." Amarinda smiled contemptuously, "Do you not see where we reside? Such fanciful nonsense you speak, the idea of us indulging in such frivolous amusements." Tobias, however, closed his book and stood up briskly. "I'll play." He blankly stated. Amarinda sat, momentarily speechless. "Tobias. What are you doing?" Without saying a word the boy stepped off the patio, walking towards the castle by himself. Amarinda watched in awe as royalty itself stooped down to the commoners level. It was not something one saw often in Carthya and filled the girl with wonder, causing her to reflect on their current situation and how such a rare sight came about.

"Do not expect the same type of inappropriate behavior from myself." Amarinda declared. "I will not be participating." Sophia stuck a tongue out towards Amarinda, and gingerly trotted off, following Tobias. "Come, come!" With that, the three started for the castle doors. "Do be careful!" Amarinda added the moment she knew they'd be too far away to hear her, her pride keeping her from making a genuine gesture. Her eyes squinted at the thought of sitting out here alone, considering how she never left Tobias' side. For him to abandon her like he did was strange, and must have had something to do with the presence of the prisoner. With a sudden spark of unusual jealousy, Amarinda hastily chased after the group.

The halls echoed as the four youngest inhabitants of the castle trekked about playfully. Sophia, the play fullest of the group, lead the way. They found themselves within the west wing, which was only as far from the prince as they could get. Without warning, Sophia stopped in her place and spun around. Somehow, Amarinda and Tobias recognized the glare in her eye, which revealed a possibility that they had played together several times in the past. "Not it!" All three of them shouted simultaneously, glaring at Bella as they did so. The three giggled and ran off in separate directions, leaving Bella to count. "To 50!" Sophie shouted, and within a moment Bella stood alone within the first floor of the west wing.

Last edited:
  • Love
"Indeed. Those tend to be the best kind." Bella said with an affirmative nod and smile to Amarinda. The games she played with her sister as a little girl were some of the best memories Bella had of Valford; there was never any thought of their social standing being a problem. It was sad to think that the girl would pass up a fun opportunity over something so trivial; although, her attempts to resist seemed halfhearted. Tobias closed his book, saying that he would play, and started for the castle with Sofie following in suit.

The three went inside, followed shortly after by Amarinda to Bella's surprise, to the first floor of the West Wing. Before Bella realized what was happening, the children all shouted "Not it!" and scattered in different directions. The redhead blinked and turned on the last echo of Sofie's instructions, finding herself alone in the corridor. "I see.." She said with a slow smile as she closed her eyes and started to count aloud. It seemed that it took forever to finally reach fifty, mostly because of the pressing silence that otherwise surrounded her. The hallway was no less empty when she opened her eyes and looked around.

"Ready or not, here I come!" Bella called, listening briefly for any response such as giggling or whispering that she might have elicited. The first places she looked were in the little decorative alcoves, on either side of pedestals where antiques sat, and behind any tapestries and curtains. She started searching the rooms with the farthest door at the end of the hall. If a door was shut, she would try the handle first to see if it was locked. If a door was locked, the room was skipped over; if not, she entered to search it. First came under the beds, then in the closets and wardrobes. She paid particular attention to rooms where there was light. There was no sign of a one of the children.

"Perhaps I got myself in over my head." She murmured to herself thoughtfully, squinting up and down the hallway.

Last edited:
The castle halls stretched far and wide, every detail strict and precise to befit royalty. Amarinda wrapped herself within a curtain, Tobias lay in a hefty pile of stuffed animals, Sophia giggled mischievously each time Bella passed her, as the little girl had been doing a lot more following than hiding. The castle was vast indeed, however, they were limited to the west wing and with time the three of them would be caught, eventually.

As Bella perused every alcove, corner and open room to the best of her ability, The Monarch appeared from thin air. First its wings, then the rest of its body. Floating above Bella, it observed the young woman as she made her search for the children. In a nimble manner the butterfly drifted below, landing on a table set riddled with tea cups and a tea pot, landing atop the pot, awaiting Bella's eyes.

Briskly, The Monarch sprung into the air, aiming for the door, hoping to have bewitched the girl into following her. Unbeknownst to the both of them, Sophia had been in pursuit, as her curiosity and boredom were never satisfied at any given moment. The Monarch halted at a particular spot before the wall, and without warning there was a bright flash of light, blinding anyone that may have been watching. A space suddenly occupied the wall, revealing a secret passageway.

The Monarch drifted within.

Last edited:
  • Love