Interlude

The ever lasting hours, the ever dragging on minutes, and the unbearable seconds. The sounds of his companions breathing, the scent of their bodies in the enclosed space of the van. The subtle sounds of heart beats and blood flowing. It was a cacophony that Satoshi had not the faintest idea on how they withstood it. The gentle roar of an engine was as the tick tock of a clock of doom.

The twenty three year old knew himself a dying man. And even if he wasn't the research subject knew that dark half would have him someday. The drugs were becoming less and less effective with each dose. To make matters worse the dosage was ever creeping towards lethal levels. Satoshi would swear that he heard that laughter each time the dosage had to be upped.

Looking around at their sickened and worn faces he envied each and every single one of them. Let them moan and bitch about throwing up because a little exertion was thrown their way. At least they were their own person. All they had to fear was death, a fate he'd gladly embrace. But their fate was not his own.

No, that ever increasing rage as time rolled by singled a different fate. The demon wanted to kill every single one of them. Instead he was dressing the self inflicted wound his left hand bore. Cleaning it out and removing the torn skin he managed a one handed stich that'd put a surgeon to shame. He did this himself because no one else offered to. Not that he would have accepted their help if they did. He did not care for physical contact, he felt it an unnecessary risk.

" The pain comes from knowing that we have never been safe, and therefore will never be safe again. It comes from knowing that we can never be so ignorant again. It comes from knowing we can never be children again. Losing innocence, remembering heaven. That is the essence of hell." He spoke softly to himself in.

The words spoken by Sarah, the researcher in charge of him. The blonde hair and green eyed woman who was the only person who could see past the monster he had become. She who would let him rant and rave and never once judge. Not like the others who judged and try to correct his behavior, often resorting to methods cruel and unusual to do so. Not like the others who acted as if he was invisible twenty four/seven.

" Not like you lot." Satoshi added with a final tug on the needle before putting away his medical supplies.

By the time he had finished that the van had stopped. The others piled out and the twenty three old exited after them. The ruined facade of a gas station greeted his eyes. The others talked about subjects that held no interest for him. He had not been addressed after all. Though the others had decided to raid the place he felt no need to. Sarah had seen to it two months worth of MREs had been added to his pack. While not exactly the most elegant cuisine out there it was so far keeping him alive and well. Sarah always looking out for him.

Of course the tranquil surroundings did not stay thay way long. Satoshi about to go restock his water supply was greeted by one of the locals. No twisted experiment gone wrong but a fairly functional human being. Though one evidently not aware that surprising a group of people out here was a bad idea.

Emerson had done her best with the sick in the van on their ride. But she could only do so much and at some point the most you can do is hold someone's hand while they power through the sickness. The whole time she worried about Duncan driving. Though she did her best to trust him she couldn't help but think about how sad it would be if they all died in a car crash- maybe sad wasn't the right word. Merciful? Em pushed the thought out of her mind. She couldn't afford to be anything but hopeful.

When they came to a stop at the gas station, she hopped out with the others. As people spread out she decided it would be a good idea to take a quick check of the perimeter. Taking one of the smaller guns they had on hand, she slid it into her belt, just to be safe. Em tried to let herself relax as she walked around, but her tense muscles were having a hard time releasing. Once going full circle she took a deep breath and sighed. Here you could barely smell the death.

Up ahead, Emerson saw Ella on the ground, and a forcefield encasing something. Assuming it was a stray monster Em pulled the gun from her belt as she ran to help. She aimed it, waiting for the forcefield to fade so her bullets wouldn't bounce back at her. But as it dissipated, instead of a monster, she saw someone who looked as desperate and tired as herself. She lowered her gun. "Oh." Cautiously she took a step back, still clenching her weapon. "Who are you? How'd you get here?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Lillian smiled weakly at Duncan when he came towards her, her pills in hand. "Thank you Duncan, t-thank you very much." She was shaking, her hands, her entire body. She absolutely hated when her symptoms acted up, that was when she was weak, and she couldn't be weak. Not here, not now. Not while they were going to some place that could lead to their life or their death. Even if she did not believe it to be real, she was still going to that place. Just in case it was. Her hazel-eyed gaze went to Ella as she moved towards Lillian, helping her onto the opposite bench, lying across from Maika where their feet touched. When her pills and a water bottle came floating her way, Lillian plucked them from mid air. Scratching one of the hives on her neck, she used her teeth to open the water bottle before taking a drink and popping the pills into her mouth. She coughed, but not as bad as before. "Thank you too Ella, I mean it." The pills were already taking effect, the shaking going away and her mind coming to ease. The ginger looked at Maika, "You too." She added, her voice evening out.

A few moments later, Alex came hopping into the van. She watched the other female bend down to grab her bag. Lillian felt her hand on her shoulder, nodding to the words. "Thanks," She was thanking a lot of people today, but that was how things were. If someone had their sickness act up, you help them. No matter how strong or 'big and bad' you might be you help one another.

She slowly dosed off, tired from all the fighting and her symptoms. She didn't notice the new people arriving. Lillian was completely oblivious to all around her. The sky outside changed from the darkness of the clouds to a bright sky. The sun shining, and maybe, just maybe there would be a rainbow.

~~~Hours later~~~

Lillian was awake and already out of the van. She felt refreshed despite her condition earlier. She still didn't notice the new person, or wanted to. The ginger was busy on finding food. She hadn't ate in days so she was quite hungry. She strode into the building, her bag on her back and her gun in hand. Just in case anyone, or anything was there.

But something stopped her in her tracks. A person, who just ran out of the convenience store with his hands up. The small female then, in a matter of seconds, aimed her gun at his head. Thunder sounded from nearby but no clouds in the sky. Thanks to her power, she was able to do that. She then lowered her gun, her pale lips curled. It wasn't a monster, but a man. But the monsters could still look human. Lillian knew she couldn't let her guard down. "Who the hell are you and how did you get here? Tell me now." Despite her petite appearance, she had a personality that was bigger than herself.​

Frank Walton, The Traveler
The moment he made his presence known, the group scrambled. In mere seconds he was some sort of glassy cage. "Like I said before, I'm Frank Walton. I'd shake your hand but at the moment I'm sort of stuck in this magical box thingy" One girl already had a gun out- Jeez. "I don't have any weapons or anything like that, and I'm not a monster..." he said, hands still raised. "...for fucks sakes, I haven't seen any people- I mean, normal people since I can remember."

That was the truth. The last normal person he saw was a scientist, and he wouldn't even classify those guys as normal. He didn't move, fearing that if he did he would be shot in between his eyes. This was tricky. Another roar filled the air. It was coming.

-~.5 Miles North~-
A monster behind the mask of a human face.

That was the only way you could classify what now freely roamed the wastelands that remained after the bombs went off. The monster in question fed on a deer that it had killed by hand. It didn't bother to cook the meat over a fire, or even remove the meat from the bones of the creature. It had killed the deer, and now it ate.

Even though it looked like a person, you could feel that he was different; that something was off. By the time you figured it out, you'd already be in the position as the deer: Dead. That's why you had to be cautious when you met a stranger on the road, because although you see a new friend, he sees his next meal.

As the monster fed, something crept up behind it. It was something more sinister, more dangerous, and hungrier than he. The shadow of the abomination came over the monster, and that was that.

It roared.

He let out a yawn when he came to a stop at the Gas Station, already people were getting out so he did as well where he went to the other side and opened up the gas chamber for the van. Going up to the pump he grabbed the (I'm not describing this shit). Leaning against the van as it filled, he still had some snacks and various types of food in his bag, but he wanted more just in case. Maybe someone would be kind enough to get him something while he filled the van up. "I know getting the cure is important...." He yawned to himself. His mind drifting off to well, nothing.

He closed his eyes only for a moment when he heard a voice, then not long after, several other voices. Becoming, somewhat alert, he left his gun on the drivers seat but from the sound of it. He didn't need the gun.

Walking around the van to see everyone, the glass cage keeping Frank in. He couldn't blame Ella, the only people they have seen for the past two days are monsters, better to be safe than sorry? "Ella, it's alright put the....thing down" He didn't know what the hell to call it. His eyes gazing over Frank, he seemed normal. He wasn't the leader of this group, but pointing everyone's gun at someone is going to end up killing innocents. "Put the guns down...he isn't even armed" He heard Frank say he wasn't armed and Duncan could see that. Of course, no one had to listen to him. They didn't even have a group leader.

Well, atleast Satoshi wasn't the first one to see him, maybe he would of attacked him. Personally, Duncan was going to keep himself as far away from Satoshi as possible. He has been trying to bury the thought of his past by looking towards the future of living, but it's hard to with Satoshi's...personality. The kid, well he isn't a kid, the man is crazy. Not crazy by his own choice, but crazy.

Once Ace finished with bandaging his wound and taking his medication, he carefully stepped out of the van, trying not to hurt his injury. He noticed that most of the others were gathered around some sort of glass-type force field. Curiosity got the better of him as he made his way to the group of people, getting a better picture of what's happening. It's looks like someone who had the appearance of a male human was trapped in a force field, he was not sure if the person was a monster or a human. He hopes that the guy was a human.

"What's happening here?" Ace quietly asked the group as he stood at the back of the group, observing the force field and the person. From what Ace can see, the guys looks like he's harmless.

Maika had just walked out of the store when he heard a commotion. In one swift movement, he drew his gun and shoved the door open. Alexis was right on his heels, her gun drawn. A guy was trapped in some sort of force field. Maika looked him up and down, before putting his gun away. He could use his ability if he needed to. Alex kept her gun out. She wasn't risking it.

She looked at the others. Duncan told them to put the guns down, and she shook her head. "Duncan, you know as well as I do that we don't need weapons to cause damage. If he has an ability like us, we could all be dead in seconds. And I'm not exactly in the habit of trusting strangers." Maika shrugged. "Personally, I don't particularly want her bursting my ear drums either. Ella, let him go. He can talk for himself."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ella kept her hand outstretched to the man in front of her. He seemed just as sane as the rest of them, but what could he be doing out here? Ella blinked a few times, got her breathing back in order and grit her teeth. It had already been too long. She shouldn't be holding it up anymore, but she didn't want anyone to get hurt. She was afraid that if she let it go, the man inside would do something bad. Or attack one of the others. She was glad Alex was being cautious at least. At the second request to let him go, she listened to Maika and let her hands down, which caused the force field to dissipate and Ella to let out a weak whimper. She might have exerted herself a bit much. Ella tried to crawl to her feet, but she wobbled a little, head spinning, before she crouched on the asphalt again. She might just stay there until she could feel safe to stand again. In the meantime, she'd keep an eye on the stranger in case she had to capture him again.

The world could be such a fickle mistresse, sunshine one moment and rain the next. And people were influenced by such a simple fact more then they were willing to admit. For they too were the very same.

Satoshi knew this, perhaps because of his dark half. The demon was a return to the primitive. To a time when man had survived on his ability to assess and react to threats in an overwhelming and instant manner. Thus was why he felt no danger from their 'guest' as it were. For the merest hint of danger led to that primitive side struggling for control.

The others lacked such senses though. Lacked the ability to differentiate between the flavors of danger. Satoshi though would gladly trade such a risky advantage for the control they displayed. Though at the moment standing around around arguing over the fate of their guest control seemed wanting.

Then again he knew the feeling of not trusting anyone. Thirteen years and he had found only one worthy of trust. And she like his family had been torn from him. But their guest it seemed had earned a measure of trust as their self appointed leader ordered him free of the cage weaved by Ella's ability.

The others for their part seemed suspicious of their guest. Satoshi though did not. And so he strode a few feet closer to this man unaware of the dangers of surprises. No doubt the others were no beginning to worry about him. The research subject could care less about their thoughts.

" This is a rather odd place for a parley I know." Satoshi spoke his voice sounding as it was not use to such banal words. With his left hand, freshly stitched, he indicated the ruined landscape. " But since we find ourselves in these environs why don't we indulge in it. So what's your story and why did you think it wise to scare my companions shitless?"

Lillian whirled around as she heard a loud roar sound in the distance. What she found behind her, was a strange man that she had no recollection of who he was. Her hand tightened around the gun, he gave off an.. Odd vibe. Yet again, she wasn't clairvoyant. They already had someone who was. But who was he? She watched with wide hazel-colored eyes as the other began speaking. Companions, who was this motherfucker calling companions? She didn't know him. But maybe everyone else did so she let it go. She had bigger problems to worry about. The small female walked away from the others and to where the loud roar seemed to come from, north. "Did any of you hear that? That roar. It's close. We need to leave. Now." Lil had no clue what it is but had no intentions of finding out, if they left now they would be fine. The ginger didn't need to fight again today, she was already worn out from the recent fight. Her body still ached despite the medicine.

Turning back around, she pointed to the direction it came from.
"Did you idiots hear me? We. Need. To. Leave. Didn't you hear that, I don't want to fight that. Just take 'Frank' with us. We can get acquainted on the road. You can still put him in your box if you'd like, Ella. I'm sure we can take him if he's any harm." Oh Lillian was back alright. The ginger walked over to Ace, grabbing his arm. Even compared to him she was small but she didn't care. "Your injured, come on. Let me take you to the van so you can rest. You don't need to be out walking." More thunder sounded near by, close. She was getting anxious, very anxious indeed. She was wanting to get out of there. They had sick people, including herself. They didn't need to fight again.

"Let's go!" It was as if she was acting paranoid. Despite being small, she still needed to help keep everyone safe. This was the best way she could do it. As she walked, her red curls bounced.

Ace flinched as his arm was grabbed by Lillian, he didn't mind anyone touching him but it was just unexpected. He shut his mouth and simply made his way to the van, even though he was capable of walking he still was injured. Ace felt his heart a skipped a beat as he turned his head to the left, seeing a monster. Even though it looked like a human being like himself, he knew there's something off about the creature. It made Ace move a littler faster than before as he stepped into the van, he knew something bad is going to happen.

"She's right. I can see something quiet... off five miles north. I think we should go now," Ace warned the others before he stepped inside of the van. When he saw the creature, it gave him a bit of a stir in his stomach. He really wanted to leave this place now.

"Right. You- you haven't tried killing any of us yet, so you can stay. I'm guessing you're not Marked, because none of them could have survive that long without medication." Alexis told the stranger. "I'm Alexis, but you can call me Alex if you want. That's Maika, Ace, Lillian, Satoshi, Ella, Duncan, Susan, and Emerson. Did I miss anyone? If you're not armed, it's a case of tough shit and don't get in our way. Now let's get moving." Maika shrugged at the newcomer as Alex turned away and stalked out. "Alex isn't in the habit of wasting words." He explained, following her out. She was looking around, and her eyes widened as she spotted the thing. Her sight had been enhanced, so she could probably see it a lot clearer than him. "Bloody hell. That thing looks like it's moving fast. Guys, we've got to move even faster that I previously thought!" She called, gripping her gun all the tighter.