Infection-Shelled Regios

"Technically," the doctor responded, cutting in before Landon had the chance, "I'm not authorised to stop him from going into the fray. I'm able to declare him unfit for duty, but only the head of medicine, the president or one of the higher-ranking officers can authorise his leave. As it happens, they have. Landon, you have been ordered to take a day's leave, after which you will be eligible for a fitness test. Now, just go home, and see if your pretty little girlfriend can stop you from falling flat on your face."
"I'd kick you, if this wasn't plastic."
"And I'd send you to sleep so you could rest up, if it was legal. Get out of here."
Sighing, Landon rose, and turned to face the door. His stance, even as he stood, was shaky at best - yet, he soldiered on, because he wanted to prove his own skill. Maybe it had impressed a lot of people, but he himself was not one of them. He certainly wasn't as his hand slipped slightly when he turned the door handle.

Miku listened on with a semi-victiorious grin plastered on her face, red from one of the doctors comments about her relationship to Landon.
She could tell he wouldn't be happy with the results. Even so, one day couldnt hurt. Right?
Movingof his own will, Landon made his way to he door. She couldn't possibly fathom how he was able to move, even if just barely. As she watched his handslip on the handle of the door she took a mere second to bow her head tothe doctor in thanks. "Wait up!"She yelled as she lifted his arm and draped it over her shoulder, leading him through the door

Though grudgingly, Landon accepted Miku's assistance, and limped out of the door with her. Even if there were quicker means of transportation to his area of residency, he wouldn't take it. Even at his current pace, the walk was no more than five minutes, and he needed the fresh air to wake him up some. He examined Miku, getting his first real chance to take in what she really looked like, even going so far as to thinking she looked pretty cute. Not in an attractive way, but more in how she seemed like a child at heart, even if she was a virtual powerhouse. He seemed to smirk a little, as he looked at her, but he was tired - anyone could just mistake it for just his lack of rest.

A small grin spread across her face. She was glad that Landon was once again accpetingherhelped. Thought shewouldve done so anyway even if he refused.
To lighten the load on what seemed like his oh-so important pride, she let him lead the way. I mean, it was his residence. Now that she thought about it, that was something she didn't have. Miku shrugged it off as the pair pushed forwards. During the walke Landon turned and offered... Was that a smile? Maybe it was that kind of grin you get waking up to something joyful, with sleep still in your eyes. Yeah, that was it, he was tired...Shecouldn't blame him either. Kindly, she returned the favor with a cheery smile of her own.

"Come to think of it, you do have a place to stay, don't you?"
It was an odd question, and a slightly offhand one. Nevertheless, had there been someone with so much power in an academic city, word would have spread quickly. She'd never be able to keep a low profile among the students - she had to be a new arrival. Quite how she got in and why did not matter to Landon, and as such, he left such matters to fester. But he liked her, he thought her to be someone he could be friends with. As such, it was only natural that he enquire as to the accommodation she had, if any. He cocked an eyebrow, inquisitively, and awaited the answer. If not, he knew that the person who owned his flat would have a few vacancies. Granted, they weren't five-star, but they had the needed facilities, and they were pleasant enough to remain tolerable.

Slowly, Miku shook her head. " Nuh uh " She answered. Now the the question came up. It was definetly a subject she should have dealt with prior to her decent. It couldnt be helped at the moment so she discared the thought.Actually, Miku was more interested in whatLandons's house would look like. Sheexpected a humle hoe fitting his personality. A clean, upkempt enviornment. But that was all in a girl's mind.

In reality, Landon had forbidden himself from keeping his accommodation unclean, least of all due to the tongue-lashing he'd receive from the landlord. It was likely due to the fact it had been hammered into him, that keeping a place clean was generally a good idea - being stuck with the captain to clean up after the rest of the team had had that effect on him. He didn't complain about it, but he really wished that his former team had taken care to pick up the things they forgot to put in the bin. As for his room, it was likely mostly tidy - maybe there would be some magazines strewn around, or a bed not made, but it was largely passable.
"Then you should probably speak to the landlord I'm with. The flat's not exactly the fanciest of places, but I've lived there for ages without complaining about anything more than the pipework needing a change. It's cheap, as well - though it'd have to be, we're only students..."

"Sounds cozy." Miku said with another unwavering smile. "I hope your land lord is a nice person". She stumbled upon some memories of her old place. It was the complete opposite of Landon's description, hardly fit for a young girl. It was a monor placed on a rich Glendan establishment. A place all of the blades and their apprentices were welcome to stay. A description wasn't neccessary in the least. Just imagine those big mansions that you'd dream about living in as a child, just like that. Even though she hadn't spent much ime in it ue to the endless amount of feild activity it was still home. Maye thisone would last longer

The landlord was, in fact, a nice person. One might even go so far as to call him a gentle giant - the reason for which would become apparent without fail.

Upon reaching the flat, which was not especially far away, a familiar sound could be heard when the door was opened. Inside, was a strange sight indeed. Playing table tennis, was a hulking mass of a man, with arms and shoulders that could snap a gorilla's neck without effort. The shirt he wore only just fit him, making it seem as though it was trying to cling onto his enormous biceps for dear life. And, despite his mud-brown crew cut making him look as if he was a military artist of another regios, his deep blue eyes sparkled with a kind of upbeat happiness only someone constantly positive could achieve.
"Landon, you're back! I was going to send a search party out, where've you been, buddy?!"
A hug from this man was delivered, though it was likely more like being crushed senseless - keeping in mind Landon's condition, and the landlord's physique, it was hardly surprising.
"Please... You're crushing my ribcage..."
"Sorry."
"Anyway, my friend here would like somewhere to stay, if you don't mind."
"Just friend?"
"You must be the twentieth person to say something like that."
"It's a joke, man! Laugh a little!"

The two reached the flat in no time. Oddly enough, behind the door a weird knocking sound could be heard. 'Wonder what it could be?' Shethought. As the door was opened Miku gasped for air, nearly choking on her own breath. A huge man stood in front out her with a menacing deminor. He had rippling muscles that threatened tear through the fabric of his clothes. To make it weirder he was playing table tennis. Really? A man that size plaaying table tennis? What a sight. It was asurprise that he didnt accidentally crush something. As he welcome Landon ack Miku took a look around the room. She feared for his life asit seemed as though he wouldnt survive the welcome back hug. All in all outside of the scary exterior heseemed like a pretty cool and fun guy to be around. After calming down abit anintroduction was in order. "Miku Hatsune. Nice to meet you sir" Shesaid in a pleasent voice whilst giving a smile and a formal bow

An uproarious burst of laughter came from the landlord, which he then wiped away almost on a whim.
"Aw, I appreciate the formal tone, sweetie, I really do. But there's no need for all the 'sir' business here. We're all one big family here, and what kind of family calls the other members 'sir' or 'ma'am?' Boring ones, I say. My name's Roderick. Roderick Smith. Everyone just calls me Roddy, though. Doesn't sound as boring and formal."
The man held his toaster-sized hand out, intending for her to shake it - however, even without kei flowing through his veins as profusely as a military artist, he still seemed able to lay the hurt on one if they shook his hand. Therefore, it was a good thing he was light with the ladies.

Miku gave a puzzled look. She had honestly never met someone like Roderick before. He was the exact epitome of a "gently giant". More importantly she was glad Landon lived in such a nice home. Miku even felt some of her usual tenseness fadingaway whilst she was in this place. It had such a comfortable atmosphere. She couldnt help but chuckle after he stuck his unusually large hand out for a shake. She held back a little giggle as a smile widened and creased upon her face. Miku made her way aross the room and met his hand with her own. Her hands were of course smaller than most men butminiscule compared to Roddy's. With her smile upkempt she spoke. "Nice to meet you, Roddy"

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well, my dear."
Though firm, Roderick's handshake was far from hard or forceful. He pumped his arm up and down repeatedly for a few minutes, though at no speed as to cause an ache in Miku's arm. He leant a little closer after a few seconds, and then whispered to her - in a way in which Landon would be unable to hear him. "Listen... I'm going to be serious for a moment, and tell you something. Landon... Is not in the best of shapes. He's liable to drop unconscious at any moment... Or worse. Bah, that's not the point. What is, is that I want you to protect him. Not just from the filth monsters, but from a far worse threat to him. Himself."

Miku eagerly shook aswell, keeping up with the slow gentle pace of his arm. She couldn't tell if he was just being polite and changing his usual mnnerisims for her or that he in fact was a "gentle giant". Either was his handshake was probably less forceful than her own at the moment. Before she could say anything in response Roddy posed a secret. She listened in carefully, honing in on every word. Miku understood what he meant completly. Especially the part about Landon being a danger to himself. What she didn't know was that there would be more troubles than just a bad leg. Falling unconscious was a hazard, especially in his profession. She woud have to worry even more now. Miku simply smiled and nodded, signaling that she got the message

With a subdued grunt of acknowledgement, Roderick rose back up to his usual stature, and beamed a smile out once more.
"Wonderful! Now then, about your room. First of all, I'd like to know that you can afford it. I don't want to put you in, and then find out halfway through that you can't pay your dues. Please understand, it's simply business. Of course, if the rooms available are still being fumigated... Well, let's not think about that."
It was not that he was going to kick her out - he liked her, and it was obvious that Landon was willing to tolerate her. However, he did not do so to an extent that would allow him to be comfortable with her sleeping in the same general area as him. And if there was no room, that was what he'd make the two do. Stay in the same lodging, that is.

Caught up in new fond excitement Miku had overlooked a vital component of her stay. The money. Her mind began racin as she immediately began thinking of other places to stay, if only for the night. She prepped herself for a letdown quite easily and would accept it smiling, though she wouldn't like it. She spoke softly "I umm.. Don't really have anything at all as of yet. I apologize for the inconvenience." Her mind turned and headed for the door but her feet stayed planted still as if they were saying "Don't move yet dummy" Truthfully she didn't have a problem sleeping whever she could find shelter, she was used to it. What bothered her was the fact that she most likely wouldn't be anywhere near Landon.

"Well, that's a bit of a problem... Time for plan B, methinks. Landon!"
"Hm?"
"You mind letting this young lady stay with you until she can get a room of her own?"
An expression filled Landon's face - something between shock, disgust, and sheer bewilderment. He stuttered and babbled for a few moments, before finally managing to force out some comprehensible words. "Yes, of course I mind! I like my personal space, thank you! And besides, where's she going to sleep?"
"You still have that convertible couch, right?"
"Well, yes, but-"
"Good! You can use that, and she'll have the bed. You aren't that ill, and she's your guest."
The two stared each other down, but between the two, there was only ever going to be one winner. Landon backed - involuntarily - down, and submitted.
"But, the moment she can, she's getting a different lodging, you hear?"
"Loud and clear, boss."

"Eh?" Miku stood in between the two as she witnessed a one sided argument. It was quite embarrassing being looked at as a chore but that was just fine with her. It seemed as though Roddy handled his authority quite well as he basically shutdown and exits Landon could use to weasel his way out of opening his home.
"Looks like your stuck with me Mr." Miku said playfully.
She turned and offered Landon a smile.
Behind her back she gave Roderick a thumbs up, as if to say 'Thanks'

Roderick smirked, and resumed his game of table tennis - tiny game, enormous player. Landon, however, seemed profusely annoyed. He shrugged it off, and turned to Miku with a deadpan expression embedded into his features as he spoke.
"I guess so. Come on, let's go. I need a shower, a meal, and some rest. Maybe the doctor was right, maybe I have been over-exerting myself..."

"Right behind you" Miku replied with an expression cheery enough to counteract his lifeless one. She kept pace behind him as she took a second to scan the things around her. Not for any particular reason, she was just trained to do so. They hadn't arrived in Landon's room just yet but so far the place as a whole seemed like a lovely complex.