Inevitable War (Jalapeno x Shelby)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Meredina was glad to have thrust that conversation aside for the time being. She could understand Mina's concern and how it might upset Avram, but she had a job to do and she intended to do it. The topic Mina decided to address, however, took her slightly off guard. She had not expected word of this to be out just yet. Avram must have told her the last time they spoke. But she had already prepared her reasoning, which was rather thorough if she thought so herself. "She is fourteen years. It's not unheard of to be wed to someone this early. Why I myself was wed when I was only sixteen. Besides, she shed her moon blood over three years ago. If Trinity is going to marry it might as well be sooner rather than later. And Cresten is a rather charming lad from what I hear. They should get along smoothly enough." The queen rarely trusted the news she could not witness herself unless it came from more than one reliable source. But she was adamant about seeing this marriage through, regardless of how charming Cresten actually was. So long as he did nothing to hurt Trinity there would be no issues.

As they strolled back into the castle there were few servants around to hear their conversations, and guards would only pass by occasionally. Even so, Meredina lowered her voice to avoid wandering ears from listening. "To be a little more blunt, it's not exactly news that there is a tremendous amount of tension pulling and pushing around the kingdom. We may have to go to war soon, and for that it is always best to be surrounded by allies we can trust. Lord Walz was one of my father's most powerful bannermen. And now he serves my brother just as heartily. Lord Walz and your uncle will both be arriving tomorrow for the wedding, along with Cresten of course. We'll be able to judge him firsthand then. And please do tell me if you notice anything odd about him. You know I always value your opinions, especially when it comes to men." It was not a complete lie. Meredina did enjoy listening to what her daughter had to say most of the time, though there were times when she asked for her thoughts simply out of courtesy. But Mina's opinions of men, especially highborn men, were usually spot on.

Her words did little to soothe him. In fact he almost felt worse from them. Of course he was doing the best he could, and even then he was failing miserably. It seemed the harder he tried to fix something the worse damage he did. That never happened to his father, at least during the years in which he was sane enough to rule. Feldon II had fought in two wars, both while he was the prince and his father, King Yoren, sat the throne. And each time he led the royal armies fearlessly. Men revered him in those days, not just for his skill with a lance, but for his ability to command respect from his followers. He was the ideal leader both on the battlefield and in the court. So far Avram had done neither of those. The most the current prince had done was stifle a small rebellion from the south and prove incompetent at quelling tensions all over the kingdom. The king who failed. That was how he would be remembered after his death if nothing went right for him. At this point the only hope Avram could see was meeting his enemies in battle and somehow coming away victorious.

It was difficult to swallow the fact that Myla was already being targeted by so many people, some of whom might even be in the castle now. Avram would have to post guards outside of her door as a safety precaution. But that would only have to be for one night if she made the decision to leave. Standing up slowly, Avram placed his hands firmly on the table, an act he often did subconsciously when he was thinking long and hard about something. Did he dare tell her to leave with so much uncertainty happening out there. If Lord Maryn or Lord Gorlin's armies decided to march east soon they would surely capture her before she could reach somewhere safe. And from there it would only be a matter of time before they discovered her identity. And where was safe anyway? Surely no where near these lands, not with a war looming. Definitely not in the north. Myla would likely have to sail east to Altiman. She could start a new life there, the kind she had planned to live before he came along and took it away from her. The journey to Port Blackstone was only three days. But it was not his decision to make. It was her's and her's alone. Avram did not dare to think about how much he did not wish to see her go.

Turning his gaze to her once more, he tried to offer a friendly smile but could not bring himself to. "The last time I made a decision for you was only days ago, and it's resulted in high lords demanding you be brought to them, likely so they can kill you. I would not force you into anything this time. All I can say is that you should do what you feel is best for yourself. If you want to leave then I can give you some gold and you can find a ship at Port Blackstone that will take you across the sea. If you wish to stay I will make sure you are guarded more heavily than I am." His eyes were downcast for a brief moment before they darted back up. Even while this serious, she still looked every bit as beautiful -No! You cannot think of her this way! "I cannot deny that I would be grieved to see you depart. And only so soon after finding out you still lived. Your return filled me with hope and I thought better days were ahead. Unfortunately even that could not reprieve the wound of having an inexperience prince making decisions." He laughed at himself again, but ended as abruptly as it began. "As I said, the choice is your's."

"Yes, but if Trinity is childish enough to keep herself in her chambers if Alayn is around for the simple fact that she does not take a great liking to the girl, what makes you think that she is ready to be wed?" Mina rose her brows in question towards her mother. While her mother did pose good points, Mina was still unsure about the fact, but, she figured, only time would tell. Regardless she knew that she would not be able to stop the wedding should it ever happen, whether or she was happy about the decision or not. Sighing, Mina looked ahead of them again, nodding her head. "And I was seventeen when you gave my hand to Carsil. I'm sure even you can remember how opposed to the idea I was at first." But, then she knew that after getting to know the man that the decision wouldn't be so bad. And even now she loved him dearly, no matter if he wasn't one of the strongest men in the land. But he was her husband, and they had a child as well. "But you know that Trinity and I are not the same. I still don't like the idea, but I will watch the boy and see how he is. Seeing how Trinity acts around him would also be something good to see." Having other allies would not be so bad, yet Mina did wish that her mother would stop with her instances on such matters without even telling her or Avram about them. They were all still family, and even though a lot of if still had to do with allies and their own good standing in this kingdom, it was still a lot to take in.

Should she really leave? Should she really just leave this place and leave the Kingdom completely so that she could find other lands to live in? So that she could have a better life, so that, maybe, she might be able to be happy. Except, would she really be happy about leaving? Probably not. If she left now, she would never be able to return to these lands, or at least she would never allow herself to return, especially back to the capital. Myla knew that she would never again see the north, she would forever be known as someone else. She wouldn't be herself. She wouldn't be an Auvery anymore, and never would be if she left. And while it seemed like it would be the obvious choice, so that she could be safe for once in her life, yet she didn't know if she wanted to do that. Her father never made them leave this Kingdom because things went sour for them. Yes, eventually they had all died except for her, but her father, no matter what, had always been proud. He never hid who he was, he never concealed his name even if it brought danger to him. It might have brought harm to his family, but nevertheless he stuck true to himself. He was no coward. He refused to leave despite how so many people had turned their backs to him.

So could she truly leave, knowing that her father had the opportunity to leave with them so that they could be safe but didn't take it? Myla knew that she was not her father and she knew that she was not as strong as he was, but did she want to be regarded as the coward who fled because things had gotten too rough? It almost frustrated her to know that Avram wasn't going to tell her what to do. It was almost as if she wanted him to, so that she could finalize a decision so that she wouldn't think she was making too big of a mistake. But he wouldn't and it was up to her. After all, it was her life, not his. "I'll think about it," she spoke, almost softly as she bit her lip and furrowed her brows. "I'll let you know in the morning what my decision is."

She sighed, swallowing again as that lump seemed to persist in her throat. Oh, how she wished things were so much different than they were. Oh, how she wished that she wouldn't have to see Avram in a state such as this. He use to be so confident when they were younger, always so sure of the decisions he made whether or not they would land him in some type of trouble. She could still remember the day when her family had left the capital, though Myla had been unaware that they would be leaving for good. When her father had said that they would be returning back to the north, she had only assumed that they would be there for a short while and then they would be back. She had even told Avram that she would be back soon, despite how rushed they were to leave, despite the heavy tension she remembered her father having, as well as the distressed look of her mother. Except, they hadn't returned, and she had only come back years later. There was a part of her that wanted to comfort Avram, to tell him that everything was going to be alright, but she knew she couldn't do that. For one thing, it would be a lie. And for another thing it wasn't her job to comfort him. Comforting someone came to those who knew the other well, and even though she wanted to say that she knew Avram, she didn't. Sadly, she wished she did though, because maybe then she would be able to say something without stepping over boundaries and so that she could see a smile come back to him. A genuine one. Lyanna didn't deserve him...

When the realization came to her mind she took a step back, stiffening her body before she cleared her throat. No, just let those thoughts be. She may not think that Lyanna deserved him, but there was nothing to be done about it. "In other news, I spoke with a former captain of the Viricof Leigon at the feast last night. I do not know if it will mean much anymore, but I do know that he could be someone to give me information about the legion. He even mentioned of knowing where some former members are currently residing." She paused, putting her thoughts together before she started again. "He even mentioned becoming a means of protection for me for a while since I have no one, however since I have nothing to pay him with he has asked to stay with me where ever I live, along with his daughter. But, as you know, I have no home to give them." Would he understand what she was getting at? Maybe it was even foolish to bring this up, given how their plan may have been foiled and thrown away already. "But, given the things that have happened since our talk, I think having someone of the Viricof Leigon around, and people knowing of it, may not be the best thing. Or, rather, I'm sure people would be upset with it."

Meredina knew as soon as the topic was brought up that Mina would be watching Cresten like a hawk, as well she should. The queen herself would do her best to keep a close eye on him as well, but her time management would be stretched to stretched its limits within the next couple of days, giving her very little time for much except the essential tasks. That being said, she was already content with the marriage and was sure it would benefit them all in the long run. "Oh do not worry yourself so much. They will not be wed until many months from now. That leaves plenty of time for her to get used the idea of being married. And with you to help guide her through the process there should be little reason to worry." She did not mention the fact that she was actually quite reluctant to see her last child married off. If she could Meredina would have had them all remain with her until her last days, never leaving her side. But she was not just a mother, she was a queen. It was not an easy task, but she had grown to accept the idea that her children had to marry if they were to keep their power as it was. They were all she truly had left. Though her husband was not exactly dead it almost felt that way. It would be painful to watch Trinity leave them, but it was necessary.

As they strolled down the corridors and up the stairs, eventually they came to the corner in which they would have to part. The queen's chambers were yet down the hall, while Mina's had come up to their right, the one she shared with Carsil. As if the thought had just occurred to her, Meredina focused a questioning gaze on her daughter all of a sudden. "Have you seen your father since you have been here? He is ill of course, but the healers say he is not contagious. If you have time while you are here I suggest you pay him a visit. Perhaps seeing his first born will ease his mind somewhat, if only a little." It was a hopeful thought to say the least. Mina had still been unmarried and living in the castle during the time Feldon first became ill. But he had not yet gone mad. As far as Meredina knew, Mina had not seen him during his few years of insanity. The queen made it a point to visit him at least once a week, usually talking to him about simple things such as the weather or the happenings around the city. He would not usually respond, and even when he did there was no indication that he processed what she said. After learning that he was not contagious she would occasionally sit beside him on the bed, rubbing his shoulders or his frazzled hair. And most of the time she would exit the room in tears, knowing fully well that the great man she once knew would not be seen again in this lifetime.

His mother had warned him that the mere presence of Myla could distract him from thinking clearly. Only now did Avram see that she had been correct in that assessment. He had to remind himself, though, that she held know love for anyone that carried the name Auvery. Even so, half of his thoughts consisted of Myla and what might have been. The dream he had after he saw her in the kitchens was not the only dream she had crept into. Only just last night he found himself dreaming a life in which the two were together, and happier than he had ever hoped to be. It was almost painful to have to wake from it. He did not doubt there would be many others in the future, even after she left, assuming she chose to anyway.

At least she was thinking about it. He could not deny that seeing her depart again would leave him empty, but he cared for her safety more than his own emotional well being. Is that how father went mad? "If you decide to leave then tomorrow would be best. Every corner in the city will be crowded the day after and it will be nearly impossible to get out. And you would not want to catch to many nobles on their way to the castle." And what if she stayed? Could he trust that no one would make any attempts on her life while they worked out diplomacy matters? "If you elect to stay, you must understand the risks that come with it." Neither option seemed to be favorable at this point. Avram half wished that Myla would make the decision now, but he could not force her into anything. He already did that once, and that was what got them into this mess in the first place. Only a few days had made every problem he already had that much worse. The king who failed. At this point he was simply hoping that the song about his disgrace would at least be a likable tune.

The news of this former captain made Avram's ears perk up a little. A member of the Viricof Legion revealed himself to her. One of the previous council meetings mentioned the idea of reforming the legion to aid Myla, the only remaining heir to the Auvery banner. This could be the first step. But as they had just discussed, she may not be staying in the capital for much longer. And if she chose to leave then this knight and his daughter would have to leave Sarvayl as well, unless of course they wished to work in the palace. "It would be best not to mention that he was of the legion for now. We don't want that heard by the wrong ears. If he is here to serve you then I could give them a small room in the servants' quarters. There is little space there and few beds. But it should suffice. What concerns me is that we do not know yet whether or not you will be staying here. I cannot house your servants here if you are somewhere else. They would have to either go with you, pledge service to the crown, or go back to where they were before."

Again, Mina couldn't help but sigh, but she nevertheless nodded her head. There would be no talking her mother out of this arrangement, not unless that household were to do something foolish during the time that they would be here, to which Mina couldn't deny the slight hope that he would slip up, but she wouldn't settle her mind with the fact. Trying to get Trinity along to go along with the marriage would be a challenge in itself, that much Mina could already tell. After all, despite the fact that her younger sister was so many years younger that she, she still knew her sister. But again, she knew she could be wrong. While she herself had been a little upset about the news of her own marriage, eventually she had come to the idea and even liked it, loved it now. But that was because Carsil was a good man, or at least in her eyes, no matter if he didn't just out rightly show affection. He was still caring. "We will soon see, I suppose. I'm just curious to see how she'll take to the news, since I doubt you've told her anything about it." But, she figured, maybe that was for the better. Nevertheless, that wedding was supposed to benefit the greater good of their family, such as Avram's wedding and even her own. It was supposed to create a greater alliance for them, and with being the royal family they needed for that to happen, no matter the cost apparently.

As they finally made their way up the stairs and through another corridor until they rounded a corner, Mina could see her room not to far from where they were standing, but, when they stopped and her mother turned to give her that look, she couldn't deny the nerves that swept through her being. And the question and statement she spoke didn't seem to settle those nerves either. She swallowed, bit the inside of her cheek, and then shook her head. "No, I haven't seen him yet. To be honest, I'm afraid to do so." It was embarrassing to admit, because why should one be afraid of their father, especially one who used to treat her so kindly? But she was afraid. She was afraid to see what he had turned into now. She had heard that the man was no longer eating, so no doubt his body would look frail and weak. She had heard that his hair was generally un kept and that, overall, he looked like a completely different person. No longer was he the strong willed, and looking, man that once ruled over the Kingdom. No longer was he the great father she once knew, and that was what she was afraid to see. She wanted to keep the image of him that she kept in her mind and not have it be swept away by what she would see in the present. "Does he really look as bad as I may think? Weak, and frail? I don't know if I want to see him in such a state."

Well, Myla figured, at least there was the reassurance that Ser Ector and his daughter would have a place to stay should she decide to stay. It may only be the servant quarters, but at least it was something, and if she truly was to take up on the offer she would be able to have him around. It brought a sort of reassurance that she didn't necessarily understand. Why did she feel as if she could trust that man so much? Probably because he had been apart of the Viricof Leigon and worked along side her father. But the same could be said about the King and maybe even other people in this castle, excluding the Leigon part of course, yet she did not fee the same reassurance. But she almost felt as if he wouldn't betray her like others may. She wanted to speak with him before she made her decision, yet she knew that it would have to be quick. From what Avram said, she wouldn't be able to really wait until tomorrow to come up with a decision, or, rather, if she made her decision tomorrow then she would quickly have to leave. But if she did, would it even be too late then? Would her presence be known by too many at that point?

There was a part of her that wanted to stay because she didn't want to leave this place and lose her chance of ever seeing Avram again, because that was a depressing thought on her mind. But then there was a part of her that wanted to leave, because she felt that her presence here would cause nothing but trouble for not only her, but for Avram. At this point she could care less about the crown in general and instead thought of the Prince. Everything would be put on him if it went wrong, and that upset her. If she stayed, others may try to attack just to get to her, or send more threats that may, eventually, land her back in the north because they couldn't afford to not throw her out there. And if that happened, she knew that she would be more than upset. And yet there was still this thought that persisted in the back of her mind that continued to tell her that if she did leave she would look like a coward, something that an Auvery wouldn't do. But, in reality, hadn't she been doing that for the majority of her life? Running and hiding to make sure that she didn't die?

"Yes, I understand," she spoke, giving the slight nod of her head before he rested her hand against the back of the chair again. "I want to speak with him before I make my decision." Ultimately, she knew that it was her decision, and that Ser Ector may not even make her decision any less clear, but she couldn't help it. It was an odd feeling. "Perhaps I'll be able to give you an answer later tonight instead of tomorrow, and should that happen, if I decide to leave it may just be best for me to leave tonight or as soon as possible. And if I decide to stay, well then I'll stay. But thank you. It's good to know that if I do stay, then they'll be able to as well." She gave him a small smile before her lips dipped back into a small frown. "Avram, I know that this is straying from the topic, but I have to ask... Do you know of the reason of my family's lose of power? Do you have any idea of what my father could have done or what he did? Personally, I don't want to believe what the Queen had said about him at the tea party." She doubted if he would have known, or if he even knew, but she couldn't help but ask the question. She was curious, and though she knew their conversation should have ended, because hadn't they been in this chamber for too long already?

There was no reason to lie to Mina about her father's state. She was going to see him sooner or later, even if she was afraid find out if the rumors were true. Meredina had heard quite a few of them herself. And while they outraged her to no end, she would be a fool to think that there was not at least a little bit of truth in each one. "He is... not who he once was." That was putting it lightly at best. Bringing herself to discuss it openly was often difficult, even with family members. Even if it was painful to see him in such a way, Meredina felt it was her duty to be there for him during this difficult time, even if he could not even remember her. The time he asked her who she was caused her to weep uncontrollably right in front of him. Even now the mere memory of it almost made her lose herself. But she kept her face calm and serene even though she felt the exact opposite on the inside. "Be that as it may, I still suggest you see him. We are his family, and if we cannot be the ones to stay with him at his worst then we have no right to claim any love for him."

Realizing she had dawdled there for longer than she had intended, Meredina parted from her daughter with a short embrace then meandered up towards her own chambers. However, she found herself not opening the door when she was in front of it. In fact she did not even stop when it came up on her left. Instead she continued around the corner and found two guards standing before another door. She did not have to say a word for them to let her pass, and as she opened the door her smile reappeared on her face, though it was not one that indicated happiness. Feldon looked as worn and ragged as ever, and his skin was beginning to wrinkle as if he were well past seventy years. The king did not notice her, or seem to notice her at least, until the sound of the door shutting behind her reached his ears. Turning his head, Feldon examined his wife for a long minute before a large smile graced his lips. "Shaile told me the news. She says your moon blood has not come in almost two months. Our first child, Meredina. Now that it's happening I can't believe it. Do you think it will be a son or daughter?" The queen strolled slowly over to his bed and sat next to him, resting a head on his shoulder. She missed the tender embrace of his arms sometimes. They were once strong enough to lift her with hardly any effort. A tear formed in her eye as she ran her fingers in his hair. "It will be the most beautiful boy the world has ever known," she murmured, not able to shake the trembling in her voice.

She might even be leaving tonight. Avram could not explain why, but that thought did not sit well with him. He had only seen her for a few days, and just like that Myla would be gone once more, and this time it would likely be permanent. He did not want her to leave, and he almost hated himself for recognizing why. They could never be. He knew that. But she was standing before him, a woman fully grown, and all he could wonder was what might have happened. His mother was certainly correct in implying that Myla was taking up too much space in his head. "If that is your wish then I will not stand in your way." He sighed heavily and forced himself to look at her. She was not afraid, or she did not appear to be anyway. There was so much uncertainty out there, and yet she was prepared to face it. Probably because there was even more uncertainty here. "When you do leave, if you choose to, I cannot be there to see you off. It will attract too much attention." Somehow not being there to see her leave might make the departure less emotional for him. Then again, this was an old friend, one he would likely never see again. Did he really have the arrogance to think they were still friends?

Avram stood up to leave. They had already spent too much time alone, and someone was bound to notice. But the question she asked caught him off guard. There were probably thousands of variations of what happened on that fateful day, and less than half of them made any sense. When Avram inquired with the queen about what happened between her and Lord Jensen she simply smiled and said, 'He received his due.' Every other inquiry received the same short statement. Everyone else seemed to have their own variation of the story. Deciding which one to believe was as difficult as searching an ocean for a lost coin. What was he supposed to tell her? Surely if her father had not told her there was a reason. Maybe he wanted to protect her from truths she would not like. In any case, he had no answers for her. And if he told her the wrong thing that might give her the wrong impression. The queen was already after Myla's head. Having the reverse become a problem would do no one any favors.

"I cannot say for sure what happened. There are more stories about the details than I can count, and one can only rely on speculation and opinions when learning which ones are true." It was as close to the truth as he could come, which meant very little considering it was not much of an answer to begin with. But Avram had already disappointed Myla with his numerous failures in keeping her safe. Doing so again would be, if nothing else, shameful to his pride. "What I hear most often," he continued hesitantly, "is that my mother and your father were... well there are many ideas of how it happened. I don't know who instigated it but they... supposedly... shared a bed. My father was away at the time, and we were only children. Maybe none of that is true. The only true fact I know of is that after word spread my father suddenly did not trust those around him anymore, except for his family." He watched her face for any signs of emotion. What had his mother already told her about the incident? From the way she brought up the question it sounded like more than the queen had ever told him. This was one of Avram's least favorite subjects to discuss. He quickly tried to shift it away. "You look beautiful today," he said absentmindedly, his thoughts still elsewhere. Were he alone he would have cursed at himself for it. "We have lingered here too long now. After you talk to this Ser Ector do not come see me yourself. Someone is bound to notice if you come to my study unannounced. Have someone deliver a written message with your decision, someone you can trust."

Mina had figured as such, the fact that her father was no longer the man that he once was, however she wondered whether or not her mother was being completely and truly honest about the words. They were simple, not meaning anything to the condition that he may be in, though, she figured, regardless she should brace herself for when ever she did go to see her father. Because, after all, her mother was right. They were family, and as family it was an obligation for her to see her father, no matter how hard the sight may be. It had been a long while since she had seen the man anyway, so she figured that it would only be right to see him now that she was back because it may be another while before she was to come back to her home after she would leave.

She nodded her head and embraced her mother before they parted, her eyes watching as the woman walked away. She surely did wonder how the woman's mind fared with everything that went on. To have to have her children married off as she slowly watched her husband lose his mind to the depths of despair while she was powerless to do anything. To have to watch her only son have to rule over a kingdom despite how it was much before his time to be doing such a task. Her mother was such a strong woman, however everyone had their limits and she wondered where her mother's lie. Perhaps it had already been crossed but she was strong and well enough to hide it in the face of others. When the woman's figure had disappeared from her line of vision, Mina turned and headed to the doors of her room, walking in as the door were opened for her. A smile graced her lips as she caught the sight of her handmaiden holding Elwin, but quickly she walked over to the pair and took hold of her babe, holding him close and she rocked him back and forth almost as if to comfort herself. The light cooing from Elwin brought a warmness to her heart, and in that moment she realized how lucky she was that he, as well as Carsil, were healthy, and she was only so lucky that it still be a while before Elwin would have to trouble himself with matters that were relatively important. It was disheartening to think, however, that her father would never be able to meet or even really know his first grandson and that Elwin would only have stories and words told to him about his grandfather.

So he didn't know much else about the incident either, or at least not much more than what she had heard from the Queen. That woman and her father sharing a bed together... It was a bother of a thought, yes, however she knew that she was unable to do anything about it. Myla was unsure of whether or not she could really trust the words of the Queen, or if she could believe Avram since those were things that only he had heard, never having gained any conformation about the statement. It made her wonder why her father hadn't told her a thing about it, even years after the incident, and her mother never brought it up either. Were they purposefully trying to hide it from her, to which they had been successful in doing, or had they just been trying to repress the memory themselves so that they would no longer have to think about it. But had her father been too upset about it, even her mother, wouldn't she have known? Apparently something had gone wrong, and their family was no longer the way the used to have been after they were sent back to the north. Her father, she remembered, had been more stressed and got angered easier, and her mother usually kept to herself unless in the face of her or her brother. It was all an act. But what had her mother been more ashamed of? The fact that her husband, might have, been to bed with another woman, the Queen no less, or because she was humiliated to have lost her status and brought down? But then what of her father. Was he upset because he had been caught, or because he had done nothing wrong, yet he had been blamed for it, punished for it? Should she herself just hate the crown because of what they had done? Yes, even she knew there was a little part of her that did, because who wouldn't, yet she knew she wasn't strong enough to act upon it herself, nor would she. She wasn't a fool. But, regardless, she knew she didn't hate Avram for it.

Myla bit the inside of her cheek as her eyes went to look down at the ground, her brows furrowing before she finally sighed and shook her head. Why hadn't she had been told of anything? Her attention was brought back to Avram at his words, and despite herself she couldn't help but let her face heat up the slightest bit at his words. However she turned her head to look in another direction, hiding the look. "Thank you." But it was now time for them to leave the chambers and go about with their own duties. He was right, they had been here for much too long already, and being here any longer would only turn out for the worse. Yet, when she turned to look back at Avram, a sudden sadness over swept her. What if this was the last time she would ever see him? If she did decide to leave, she would leave that night and only a letter sent to him would give him word, and she wouldn't even be the one to give it to him, and then he wouldn't be able to see her off. She knew it was only for the best, yet she still hated it.

She should not have come back here, and Myla only realized that now. No one would know of her presence here, her life would not be in the danger that it was in, and then she wouldn't have put any more stress on Avram. She never would have seen him again had she not come back, and she never would have felt had badly she had actually missed him. Leaving him again, or even staying here, would be hard regardless of anything. Because if she left she would never see him, but even if she stayed she wouldn't see him except in council meetings, and even that would be a bit of a stretch. It was foolish to bring back any kind of connection they might have had, or maybe even still had, with one another. It was a mistake for him to have brought her out of hiding. He should have just left her as a kitchen maid. "I truly am sorry, Avram." She spoke, quietly, though she knew she was only apologizing because she could not have helped like she wanted to, because she only seemed to have spurred on even worse things to happen, even to herself. But could she, or should she, really apologize over who she was and that for what ever reason his mother seemed intent on getting her out of there, or at least that's how she understood it. "I'll send a letter once I've made my decision." And with that, she gave him one last glance before she turned and started walking towards the doors to the chambers, opened then, and then walked out. Now all there was left to do was to fine Ser Ector and make her decision.

The way Avram spoke to her sounded harsher than he had intended. Her emotions did not seem to waver much, but he still felt guilty for the way he spoke. There was not much of a choice though. Mincing words to make them gentler would not help anyone, and he did not want to give false hope where there was none. He was sure that if this was Lyanna he was speaking to there would be tears flowing already. Myla looked hurt, but at least she was keeping a steady thought process as far as he could see. Despite her attempt to hide a blush, Avram noticed it and looked away himself, certain he had turned a solid shade of red too. Sympathy was also evident on her face, and he could not let himself accept it. After the way he endangered her life he could not accept anything from her without feeling guilty. He did not deserve her. Good thing I'm not marrying her then. He almost laughed at himself again. And almost weeped as well. If they had more time they could have.... could have what? No, if thoughts like that crossed his mind then it was good she was leaving.

It was as much a shock to hear her verbalize her sympathy as much as it was to see it on her face. She had nothing to be sorry for. If anything Myla should have been furious with him. Anyone else would have in her position. Perhaps she respected the history they shared more than he did. It would only make this parting that much more difficult. It would have been easier to make her despise him and leave out of anger. At least then he knew she would be leaving without worrying about what he felt. But just as he wanted say more, more than he was allowed to, Myla said her final words and made for the door. "I am confident you will make the right decision." These could very well be the final words he spoke to her, and yet he could not make himself speak more. That was because there was nothing he wanted to say. But there was so much he wanted to do. He wanted to pull her back into the council chambers and stop her from leaving. He wanted to plant an endless kiss upon her mouth and forget there was a world around them. He wanted to console her, comfort her in these difficult times and whisper confident opinions that everything would turn out well no matter what happened. But he did none of that. Avram simply watched the back of her head until she was outside of the room.

Avram did not leave right after Myla did. He waited for a short while, attempting to clear his thoughts of her, but he had little success in the process. Belin arrived soon and bowed like he normally did. "Is everything well, my lord?" The prince did not actually notice him until he spoke. Picking up the letters still sitting on the table, Avram put on a smile for the squire. "Ready my armor. I wish to have some time on the training grounds this evening." He was supposed to be dining with the rest of the royal family tonight, but he found no appetite. They would understand. And perhaps he could release his pent up frustration out with a few rounds of sparring. He had not swung a sword as often as he would have liked to over the past few months. That rust would have to be shaken off sooner rather than later, especially sine they would likely be going to war soon.

"As you wish, my lord. I am sure there are still a few men out there who are willing to give you an effort." He bowed again and hurried off to prepare the armor as requested.

The great hall of the castle was much less packed than it was the day before. Lord Dremond had insisted that they dine there instead of at the inn they were staying in during the visit, The Tilted Pot. It was not a bad inn by any means, but Lord Dremond often elected the path that would make him feel as important as possible. Not that dining in the royal halls was anything special tonight. It had been opened up to all wedding guests in the days leading up to the wedding. The chubby lord was currently entertaining himself with a servant girl that only seemed willing to accept his adventurous fingers because of his nobility and coin. Ser Ector resisted the urge to shake his head. He hoped Myla would be willing to accept his offer to be her sworn sword. Lord Dremond payed his knights well, but it was often tiresome putting up with some of his antics, not the least of them being his wandering hands when young women were near. Ector could not recall working with many men like this during his time in the legion.

At least Ector had been allowed to bring Elize along today. The girl had found a cupbearer a couple of years older than her to play with for the night. The two were sitting on the small elevation at the front of the hall where the head table normally sat. He had not the faintest idea of what they were speaking of, but a young boy who looked about their age seemed to be trying to get a word in to the two of them. Whatever it was he did not seem to be having much luck. Ector cracked a smile as he watched them. To be young as that again, with no worries and more innocence than one would ever have again, was a wish no one could obtain. More than ever he hoped for good news from Myla. Elize finally had someone her own age to talk to, and he did not have the heart to tell her they would have to leave. She was used to traveling, of course, accompanying her father on errands Lord Dremond sent him on, but it was not the life she deserved.

From the corner of his eye, Ector spotted Myla beyond the entrance to the hall. She did not seem to be heading for the hall itself, so he would have to catch her as she passed the doors towards the next corridor. "If you'll excuse me for a moment, my lord." Dremond did not appear to be paying attention either way, still occupied by the servant girl. Ector made his way towards the entrance, glancing back at Elize momentarily before walking through the large double doors. He spotted Lady Myla just as she was turning the corner and called out to her. "Good evening, my lady," he stated, jogging up to her and bowing formally. "You look wonderfully elegant tonight, if I may say so." He lowered his voice after that and peered about, though he was not entirely sure why. "Has his lord highness given you a word yet?"

All the while she continued to mender her way down the halls, Myla's mind stayed on the conversation that her and Avram had just had. The words bounced in her mind back and forth, the weight of his words finally catching up to her, as well as her own thoughts. No matter what she did, unless she left this kingdom entirely, she would no longer be safe. It worried her more so now that ever, to why she couldn't say. Being by her lonesome for the time being, especially considering that she had been able to avoid the eyes of many peopled that littered the castle, finally let a little of those worries and emotions show on her features, yet it just seemed to distress her all the more that no one was able to see it. There was almost a sensation that made her want to cry, yet she held the tears at bay and kept them from even starting. No, she would no cry, especially over a matter such as this. It had been years since she let water fall from her eyes, and she wouldn't start it now. Besides, she didn't want to act weak. She didn't want to look as if any of the news she had heard, had thought about, had distressed and worried her. No, she still had to be strong.

She should hate Avram. She should hate this entire castle and the royals that lived within these walls because of what happened to her family. She should want to get revenge, to avenge her family, yet she found herself unable to do so. But it was only because she didn't know if she could be angry for the reasons that she wanted to be. How could she be angry, she always told herself, when she didn't know what happened. If she was angry and wanted revenge for something that her father actually did, to know that he had brought shame to the Auvery name and family, then she would only look like a fool who refused to believe what had been told of her. Yet if she was angry and it hadn't been her fathers fault, then she would be in the right. The only problem was, was that there were so many things that she didn't know.

The few people that she passed in the halls gave her meek glances, their words whispering back as she walked passed them. Had word already spread? Did they all really know that she was herself? Again that sense of paranoia was beginning to spike within her, and as she clasped her hands together she couldn't help but hold her hands a little tighter than she normally would have, her knuckles turning white. Only when she had heard a voice ring out to her did she stop, her frame stiffening before she turned only to see Ser Ector, his bow graceful as ever before he lowered his voice after looking around. Right, Ser Ector. She had been looking fro him to tell him the news. How easily she had forgotten a task so quickly...

Sounds could be heard coming from the great hall not far from them, however no one else was in the area for the time being. As she peered up at the man, she tried to put a smile upon her lips, yet found herself unable to lift the frown that graced her features. "Yes, he has," she started, breathing out a sigh as she tried to relax her frame, but to no avail. "He has given you and your daughter permission to stay here should you be here in means to protect me. Unfortunately he can only give you but a small space in the servants quarters, but, at least, that is better than nothing." But then she paused, testing over her words in her mind as she went back to the conversation she had had with Avram. "Except, now I am unsure if that is such a wise decision, even for me to stay in this castle, in this capital. Lord Donagale has sent a letter, saying that he knows of my presence here and threatens to ally his forces with with Lord Maryn should I not be dealt with, or sent back to him, rather. Fortunately, the council seemed not too worried over his threat, however it makes me wonder and worry of how long it will take for the other lords of the north to hear of my being here and and threaten to ally forces with the enemy if I am not dealt with.And I'm sure word is already traveling about me in this castle, and perhaps even outside of these walls, and I can only be too sure that the words they speak are not ones that I wish to hear." She paused again, her brows furrowing. "I have to make a decision of whether or not I will leave this place, and if I do leave, then I'll leave tonight. And while I know you said that you would be my sworn sword to protect me, I still believe that it would not be enough to who may be after me, and I can only imagine all the more trouble that it would bring to not only you but your daughter if anyone every found out that you were apart of the Viricof Leigon. I have no doubt that word of me trying to start some sort of rebellion would come about."

It took a moment for Ector to realize that Myla was not displaying or speaking with the same confident manner she had before. She had expressed the notion that she was uncertain about the future, but it had not disturbed the demeanor that so reminded him of her father. Now she seemed uncertain both in tone and in heart. He had never known an Auvery to flee from danger, except of course for when she had been living on the run. But who could blame her after what happened to her family? Ector himself was not one to run away either. But before his pride came his duty. He had already declared his intention to follow her as a sworn sword, and if she wanted to leave she would do just that. But what of Elize? Could he really tell her without guilt that they would have to travel again, after he was so sure they had found a permanent place to stay? She was already making friends, something she rarely ever had the chance to do. It would pain him too much to take that away from her. But where else could he go? If he continued working for Lord Dremond he would be forced back into his unhappy role, left only to wonder what might have been if Myla had elected to stay. And even in that case he would still have to make Elize leave her friends behind. He supposed he could try to find employment with the crown, but working for the people who caused the downfall of the Viricof Legion would leave him even sicker than working for Dremond. The idea of leaving Elize behind in the care of someone else was virtually unthinkable.

Bowing his head, deep in thought, Ector pondered the idea for a long time. Maybe if he had Elize meet Myla, and like the woman's company of course, she would be more accepting to the idea of traveling with her. "I can see why this has put you in a dilemma, my lady. There are few safe havens out there, if any, for a woman of your status and reputation. And there are even less here. If you wish to leave Sarvayl, then I will go along with you. Elize..." he hesitated for a moment, looking away for only a split second, "... will come around eventually. I am sure if she met you she would have less issues with traveling again." It was a hopeful thought at best. But giving his daughter someone she could look up to might make her a little more willing, even excited. And if what Myla said was true, which it probably was, then his history with the legion might jeopardize his life, as well as Elize's. And it would only be a matter of time before the wrong person found out the longer he remained in Sarvayl. Whoever came after him he could deal with. But should anyone even think about harming his little girl...

"If we are going to leave tonight then it must be quick. At midnight most everyone will be asleep. Sneaking past the sentries will be difficult, and we will have to pack lightly if we wish to go unnoticed while leaving the gate." Getting to the stable would actually be the easiest part, which was somewhat frightening. How would they manage to convince the gatekeepers to let them out? An old knight, his daughter, and a young woman whom they probably knew of all leaving the castle that late would draw quite a bit of attention. Even if they were hooded the guards would ask questions. No one ever traveled that late. Suddenly a thought occurred to him, one that would require patience but would work just as well. "We could leave tomorrow morning. The gates will be opened from sunrise until sundown. I know waiting out the night is risky, but we would have a much easier time getting out of the city during the day. As long as you keep the hood of your cloak up no one will recognize you. And with so many high lords entering the city there will be no one paying attention to who is leaving." Ector smiled with satisfaction. It was risky, but he doubted anyone would make an attempt on Myla's life with so many people in the castle.

"That's a smart plan, if I may say so." Ector whirled around to see who had spoken, and his heart sank when a guard stepped out from behind the corner and approached them.

Larcin had not caught the very beginning of the conversation, but he heard the voices as he was about to round the corner and decided to eavesdrop for a bit after hearing the discussion. As soon as he heard their plan he stepped out to reveal himself, knowing he held the advantage. He recognized the woman before him almost immediately. This was Myla Auvery, the one every soul in the castle seemed to be whispering about. When he first encountered her Larcin had taken her for a simple kitchen maid, which she was apparently disguised as for months. He had made an advancement on her, thinking nothing of it at the time. But had he known her true identity he would have done nothing of the sort. He felt a fool for not realizing who she was when seeing her that night, especially with the authoritative tone she possessed. The man next to her was unfamiliar to his eyes, but he seemed confident enough to meet one of the palace guards with a stare that could make a weaker man quiver. Though Larcin could not be surprised by that, not after hearing the words 'Viricof Legion'.

Seeing their shocked faces, he almost grinned to himself but resisted the urge. "Do not be alarmed, I won't reveal your plan to anyone, that is assuming you hear what I have to say." Larcin lifted his visor to reveal his face, knowing Myla would be less than pleased to see it. He just hoped she would not mention it, not now anyway. "I am Larcin Godfrey, and I wish to go with you." His reason were simple. While his father was one of the most legendary knights in history, he was not a good father. Larcin could not bare anymore of these grueling sessions he put him through, sessions that bordered on abuse in his mind. In addition, he saw this as a chance to see the world, to go exploring instead of being forced to serve as a guard in a city he only half appreciated. Avram was his close friend, true enough. But the prince was often busy and had little time for happy company. And he had changed in the past few years, ever since the king went mad. "From the sounds of it you need someone who can protect you on the road. I am sure this man is more than capable of providing protection, but he cannot fend off an entire band of thieves on his own. I may not have all of my father's skill, but I do know my way around in a fight," he stated firmly, hastily adding a quick, "my lady."

It seemed as if more things were in favor of her leaving then they were of her staying in Sarvayl, to which was a bit of a disappointment to Myla. She had only half expected for Ser Ector to try and convince her to stay, to maybe reinforce all the more that an Auvery would not run from something like this. Apparently, it wasn't to be said. But she couldn't deny the little reassurance to his words, him mentioning that he would still be coming along with her should she leave along with his daughter, though she had caught the slight hesitation when he looked away. She did wonder how his daughter would take the news, though she wondered if he had mentioned her at all to the girl and mentioned that there may be a possibility that they may stay in the capitol for much longer. Myla pushed the thought from her mind, however, knowing that it wasn't in her right to even ask a question that wanted to slip from her lips like that, and instead would leave the matter for a later time.

But his plan did seem much better than anything she had thought of. It irked her a bit to think that she hadn't even though about the limitations that the night would bring should she have tried to leave then. All her mind had roamed around was that leaving at night would give them more cover, and would, maybe, give them an easier escape. The guards at the gate hadn't even being to spring to her mind until the man brought it up, as well as the suspicion that would grow from the leaving so late into the night. It wasn't a normalcy, especially to be leaving the royal castle as such a time. But to leave in the morning... It may be their only way. Hadn't Avram even mentioned that leaving in the morning would be better for her, seeing as, even just as Ector had thought, that there would be too many people coming in and out of the gates to even care, hopefully, for her presence. With the wedding coming only day after tomorrow, the castle would be bustling with movement tomorrow, as well as the city itself. And, in all honesty, she found herself not wanting to be among that crowd. It was a better plan than anything she had come up with, and she even went to open her mouth to comment as such until another voice rang out, seeming to mirror her opinion on the matter.

Quickly she turned to look in the direction in which the voice came from, a startled look coming to her features when she caught sight of the guard. No, this couldn't be good. A guard to have heard their plan? Before the man could speak up again her eyes went to scour around the area to see if there were any other wandering eyes and ears, because if he had heard who was to say that there were not others? As far as she knew, someone could be heading to the Queen, or maybe even Avram, to speak of what they had just heard. The thought made her grit her teeth, her eyes setting back to the guard before them, however, as soon as she saw his face, she stopped. Larcin. The man who, ever time they had come to meet, had been an unpleasant experience.

"Why should you be trusted?" She instantly spoke out after Larcin had said his words and made his request, Myla's brows furrowing, her tone back to the nearly sternness that is normally held. Had she been in a better mood, she might have laughed out at how quick her demeanor had changed in the face of someone she didn't necessarily trust. "After all, you are a guard to this castle, and I have no doubt in my mind that if you had the opportunity to, or if you were merely ordered to for that matter, that you would do anything in your power to lead me into some type of trap that may get me killed." His words had rung true; the fact that while Ser Ector may be well enough to defend her for a while, but should they be ambushed he may not be able to fend himself from so many enemies at once, and she herself would not be on much use in a matter such as that. But there was still something about him that just... She couldn't say." And you are the son of Ser Gerold as well. I am sure that he would be less then pleased to have his son walk out on his duties, no?" And this way to say that she even would leave, Myla continued to tell herself. However, now that she thought about it, what did she have left in this place? Hadn't even she been trying to determine how much more time she would spend in this place when she was but a mere kitchen maid? Staying in one place for too long would only cause problems, just like this, so maybe it was her time. And what really did she have left to do here? She could be of no help more than likely with settling the north, and who was to say that their earlier plan of her trying to gain allies would now work with word that would be growing about her?

"I do not need an overconfident guard who thinks that he may be better than what he actually is coming along with me, with us, should I decide t leave," she finally spoke back after a moment of silence, her mind going back to the first time they had come into contact with one another and the way he acted, just because of who his father was. Her eyes turned to look at Ector, raising her brows in his direction to try and figure what he thought about all of this.

Myla's disapproval was only to be expected. Larcin was sure she despised him for how he had treated her previously, and both instances would surely have put him in a great deal of trouble had she still held any sort of power. He figured now would be the best time to apologize for his mistakes, though he was not sure it would do much good. "I apologize for offending you before. Had I known who you were I would not have spoken in such a manner." He tried to meet her gaze, but the sternness in her eyes made him shiver slightly. For a moment Larcin was convinced that she was the queen herself, and he knew all too well that she should have been. Myla looked every bit built for command, unlike the woman who had taken her place. Would he consider himself a fool later on for electing to follow her instead of staying in the capital. He would be knighted sooner or later, something even his father could not deny. And yet the eagerness to explore beyond what he knew pulled at him. There was also that other reason he dared not mention. Of course that was all assuming Myla would allow him to leave with them.

Straightening himself to look a little more confident, Larcin continued to press his case. "My lady, if I were going to lead you into a trap, I would have turned you in already. Of course it would be to the captain, not the queen, so your punishment would be small if anything." It always felt odd referring to his own father as 'captain', and Larcin had made an effort not to wince when Myla mentioned him. "He has a great amount of respect for anyone named Auvery. Unless I mistook your presence at the training grounds today he is giving you lessons in the sword. Your leave would likely disappoint him as much as mine would." The only difference, Larcin expected, would be that Myla was probably going to miss the man. He could not say the same for himself. He respected him as a fighter and as a knight, just as everyone else did. But as his son... no, his bastard... Larcin had gone through more than enough experiences with the man to know that he was a better knight than he was a father. Most saw him as a flawless representation of what any knight should be, but no one could claim to be perfect, and parenting was Gerold Godfrey's biggest flaw.

For a moment Larcin was sure he would have to beg this woman to accept him on this journey. "I can understand why you would not trust me. And forgive me for saying it, but you would be foolish to travel the roads with only one sword to protect you. Two is not a great number either, but it is far better than one. I am sure your sworn sword is as skilled as anyone. But unless I misheard he intends to bring his daughter along. One man protecting two women will not get you far, but two swords might." He was lucky to have heard that part, as it was said rather quietly. And he was especially lucky there were no other guards around to hear them, but it would not remain that way for long. There were three guards roaming this side of the floor, and they marched in a circle around their designated areas. That meant one of them would be coming up behind them soon and wonder why Larcin was not rotating. "There is little time before another guard comes around this way."

Half expecting Myla to refuse, he was surprised to hear the man beside her speak before she could. "He is right," he began, though not seeming too thrilled about it. Larcin's mouth hung open in disbelief, but he swiftly snapped it shut before anyone could notice. Whoever this man was had decided to vouch for him, in a loose expression of the term at least. He was sure if there was someone else to choose from, likely someone more experienced, they would have taken him over Larcin in a heartbeat. As it were, they had him to choose from an no one else. "He may be brash young swordsman searching for adventure," the man continued, "but he had had plenty of training here in Sarvayl. And I don't believe he is leading us into a trap. As far as I am concerned the worst trap we could possibly be in is right here in this castle." He eyed Larcin suspiciously before returning his attention to Myla. "Besides, I would trust him even less if we left him behind while he had full knowledge of our plan. If he were to reveal us before we could leave the city there is no telling what the queen would do."

His case was a viable one, and even Myla could admit to that, though that was the last thing she truly wanted to do. They... May need him to come along, and not only for Ser Ector's worry that leaving him behind may be a terrible decision to make -because there was a doubt in her mind that he would be too happy about being left to dawdle the rest of his days in this castle, which may lead to him to foil their plan out of pure smite- but because they needed the extra protection. He was the only one they would have, despite how she would have rather had someone else come along. But, there was nothing that could be done about it. He was willing to come along, he already knew of the beginnings of their plan, and, in all honesty, leaving him to know of that knowledge bothered her more that she would like to admit. And she had no doubt that he was strong, no matter of who his father was, he had been trained by the man, and while she was still less than confident in his skills, he had to know something. He had to be tough in some sort of way.

Her eyes averted Ser Ector's face and instead turned to look at Larcin, her lips pursed as they slowly turned down into a frown. They had to be quick about this, about the decision that was to be made, which, in her mind, only constituted to this matter with Larcin. As far as she was concerned, apparently her decision to stay and leave had already been made; she was going to leave, as much as it pained her to think so. But it would be less safe for her in the castle then it would be to venture out into the kingdom, or at least that was what she hoped to be true. There were many dangers regardless of where she, or they it seemed, went and it couldn't be avoided. "You are to come with us then, as much as it pains for me to say such a thing, however it is only because Ser Ector believes it to be a good idea for you to come along. And we may need the extra bit of strength to come along with us, that much even I cannot deny. You've been trained by your father, so you at least must be able to do something. But if so you much as dare cross us in anyway, you will be killed." It was almost an empty threat at best, however Myla was beginning to wonder if those last words would ring true. Actually, they may be true, and even she knew that because she knew that she could not afford any more troubles to be put onto her, especially from someone that would be coming along with her. It would not be tolerated.

She took a breath as she turned her head to look away. "I suppose that this means that I, or we, will be leaving after all." And in her own mind, she couldn't help but remember the way the Queen looked at the tea party and the words that she spoke. If her suspicions were correct, Myla thought that the woman would probably be happy to hear that she would be leaving, if and when she ever found out about it. Either that, or, she would grow suspicious of the sudden leave herself. But Myla would not worry her thoughts with such a thing. There were other problems warring in her mind at the moment, other things that she had to think about. "We can plan more of where our travels will take us and what we will do after we are gone and into a safe, or safer, place. At least then we will not have to speak in such hushed tones. We'll leave at sunrise, just as you," she turned to look at Ser Ector, "said was more than likely the best plan of action. And you," she said, turning to look at Larcin though her words caught in her throat before she could say them. There was a pause in her speech before she swallowed and shook her head. "I need you to tell Prince Avram that I am leaving at sunrise. Whether or not you tell him that you are coming along is your decision, though I almost feel it would be best for you to not mention that. Just tell him that I have made my decision, but he is the only one to know." She wished that she could tell Avram himself, to tell him one last goodbye before she, inevitably, left this place for good. There would be no coming back, there would never be a time again when she would see him. And the thought saddened her so much. The only good thing about this departure, she figured, was that she would not have to witness him being wed to that other woman.

Relief flooded through Larcin when he finally heard the answer. He would be allowed to leave with them. No doubt they would be eyeing him closely from the moment they left. That did not bother him, so long as he was given a chance to prove his trustworthiness. Threatening death if he should prove otherwise made her sound even more authoritative, more queen-like. Imagining Avram trying to keep her under order, were they married, almost made him laugh. But was he really the one who had to tell the prince? Why could she not do it herself? It would make a lot more sense coming from her anyway. Larcin had half a mind to ask her such but thought better of it when he saw that the sternness from her face had not faded in the slightest. Instead he bowed obediently and accepted the order without complaint. "As you wish, my lady. I will ready the horses before daybreak tomorrow. I'm afraid I will not be able to see you before then; not without being accused of neglecting my duties. Until dawn then." He bowed his head to her and gave the man next to her a slight nod. He failed to ask for the man's name, but he would learn it before long. They were about to spend days together on the road, maybe months.

Spending time at the training grounds did not help to steady Avram's mind as much as he had hoped. He sparred with three different men, and even felt bold enough to fight the three of them at once for a time, although that did not last very long. All the while he was plagued with many thoughts. What if Myla elected to leave? What if she did not? How did he know she would actually be safe if she traveled across the Eastern Sea to Altiman? And what was to stop someone like Lord Donagale from sending assassins across the sea to find her, hoping to prevent any hopes of her returning one day? And then there was the Lodars and the Rhaynes. What were they waiting for? All of these thoughts caused him to misstep throughout his duels with the three soldiers. And if he could not concentrate enough in a fight why would he be able to concentrate at all while making important decisions? The king who failed. After leaving the grounds, Avram returned to his chambers and had Belin help him strip off the armor before sending him off to bring wine. He sat nursing a small welt that had appeared on his left shoulder from one of the fights. The prince made it a point to make sure none of his sparring partners ever gave way to him simply because of his status.

Not too long after returning, Larcin came to the room. "Good evening, my lord," he said, half smirking while he said it. The two of them had grown up together under inside these castle walls. Avram had often chosen to confide his worries in him when the two were younger, but as he grew into his role of being a prince, he found himself incapable of doing so for multiple reasons. The main one was that they rarely saw each other anymore, both of them having duties to fulfill. Another important one had to do with the fact that now his concerns were far too complicated for Larcin to understand, and some of them could not be heard by too many ears. The young man was a fighter and cared little for political strife. He was also more of a womanizer than Avram. The prince did not think he would understand what his complicated thoughts about Myla had to do with anything. But they were still friends, and even though they no longer saw each other Avram was glad whenever he showed his face. "Good to see you, Larcin. You have news for me?"

Surprisingly, Larcin closed the door before speaking. Normally when guards brought news they did not even bother to enter the room. That peaked his interest. Taking a deep breath, Larcin finally spoke. "My lord, the Lady Myla Auvery has made her decision. She has elected to leave the city tomorrow at dawn." The words were like a knife wound to his stomach, but it was the right decision. If she chose the alternative it was likely she would receive a real blade to her stomach. But why had she chosen to send the message with Larcin? And he had told her to write it, in case her messenger chose to let it slip to someone else. Those two choices together pointed to one answer, and Avram half grinned. "I take it you are going as well." The look of disbelief on Larcin's face was rather funny looking, but the prince continued on normally. "That's not surprising really. It's still hard to believe that you have stuck around in Sarvayl this long. I was the one who suggested that the safest plan would be for her to leave." His eyes hardened for a moment as he spoke. "I only ask one thing of you. Protect her. With your life. Ser Ector is a good knight, I am sure. But he is beyond his prime years and only one sword at that. Whatever you do, see that Myla lives."

Belin returned a few moments later, carrying the wine on a small tray. The squire was all but knocked over by another guard bustling in. It was Jaren Balzen, a middle-aged man with the oddest looking mustache Avram had seen. It was curled at the tips into thin twirls, but the middle just below his nose was thick and coarse. The man looked horror stricken and his skin was pale. "Forgive the interruption, my lord, but it is urgent," he gasped, bowing hastily. "It is the king. He is dead."

After Larcin had departed with his words, Myla couldn't help but watch his figure with narrowed eyes as he continued down the corridor before he disappeared completely from her view. With a sigh, she eventually turned her attention back to Ser Ector, her brows furrowing. "I do hope that this will not be a mistake; that allowing him to come along was a good decision, as well as just leaving in general." Her lips dipped down into a frown. "Though, I suppose it would not be too much of a surprise to see that this may not be the wisest decision for me. After all, I seem to never do well with decision making." She laughed bitterly to herself, and she bit her lip gently as she turned to look away. No, she knew that this was the best decision. Leaving was, really, her only option at this point. She just didn't want to admit it, no matter how badly she had to. What would her father have done in a situation like this? Would he have fought? Would he have stayed to prove his strength and to show that little threats against his character would change nothing of his demeanor?

But, if that was the case, then why had he elected to leave Sarvayl after their power had been taken away? Because her father wasn't a fool, she told herself. She took herself another breath and straightened her stance, wanting to keep this sternness to her body even though it was the opposite of how she felt. But, in a way, it made her feel a little better. "I do hope that this will not be too much of an inconvenience to your daughter, Ser Ector. I only know too well how much of a bother, and how draining, it is to travel so much, especially when she is still young."

The words had hit her hard, harder than anything she had even been struck with, though, in all honesty, Mina could not remember a time when she had ever been struck. Her father had died. He was dead, and she had gotten word of it from a guard that had rushed into her room after knocking on the door rather rapidly. She had been expecting to hear those words at some point, to hear news that her father had finally let go and passed away, however she hadn't expected it to be now. She hadn't expected it to be when she was in the castle, back at home, planning in her mind of when she was actually going to venture to his chambers so that she could finally see him. So that she could talk to him, despite how she knew that he would be more than likely unresponsive and not the man that she had remembered. Tomorrow, that was when she had decided to go see him. At a time when she would be less busy, though not much, and when she just wanted to get away from the jovial air that would surround the castle because while it was exciting to her to see her brother be wed, it was a bit of an annoyance at times. And seeing him at some point tomorrow, she figured, would be the best time because she would not be able to see him on the day of the wedding, and she would be heading back home with Carsil and Elwin shortly after, in either the next day or the day after that day.

But, her time was up. She could not see him in the way that she wanted to. He would no longer be breathing, he would no longer see her again. Mina sat on her bed, having given Elwin to her hand maiden after the news had been spoken to her, just right after her dinner with her sister and mother. Avram hadn't been of attendance, and while it irked their mother, Mina was willing to let him slide without reprimanding him like some little child, though she couldn't deny how disappointing it was to think that the entire family hadn't been able to have a meal together. She had only come back to her chambers but a few moments ago, and then to only hear this news?

Mina's hands shook in her lap as she looked down, tears streaming down her face as she continued to be in a state of shock. Why now... Had her mother been told? Had Trinity been told? Had Avram been told? More than likely, she felt as if the answers were yes, though she dearly hoped not in regards to Trinity. She was the youngest of them all, the one who had gotten the least amount of time to get to know their father. She was unable to have the father that her and Avram had had, and it was a sad fact, but hearing of his death was not something she wanted her little sister to be told by a guard. Her mother and Avram... It was fine. They were older, they could, maybe, take it a little better. Yet it still didn't feel right. Where was her mother, and where was Avram? She needed to speak with them, she needed to see them.

Quickly she stood from her bed and wiped the tears away as best as she could even though her lips still quivered with the rampant thoughts than ran through her mind. Her father, dead. He had died... Without saying anything to her handmaiden, she left the room in a haste and headed down the corridor, stopping only for a few seconds when she passed the door where she knew her father would still lay, where he had died in. His own chambers. Her fingers twitched a bit, herself wanting to go in there, but she didn't think she could handle it. Not right now. She wanted to be in there with her family to say her final goodbyes to the man. But if her mother was in there, to which she hoped was not the case, then she may just go seek Avram out, or even brave herself enough to go into her father's room. She would cross that bridge when she made it to it, she knew, and with that thought in mind she quickly walked the rest of the way to where her mother's chambers were. Her mother had said that she would retire for the night after their dinner, to which she assumed she would have went straight there. "Mother?" she spoke as soon as the doors had been opened for her, her eyes searching out the woman she sought out.

Staring off at the guard who would soon be their traveling companion, Ector's eyebrows dipped into a frown. But he did not make any comments about the man. "I trust whatever decision you make, my lady. I can only advise you while thinking them over. It is not my place to tell you what must be done." His eyes scanned her for a moment. She was not wearing scowl that distorted her face when Larcin appeared, and she was no longer speaking in the stern, confident manner she had used just a few seconds ago. The mention of Elize brought Ector back to his original intentions when he was searching for Myla. "She has traveled before, and as much as it pains me to tell her we must do so again, it would pain me even more to leave her behind. The difference this time around will be you. I think having a woman she can look up to will be good for her, and it might even make her excited. Her mother passed when she was very young, barely capable of uttering proper words. You could not replace her mother, but an older sister of sorts could help." He pointed at the open doors leading into the great hall. "She is still in there if you wish to meet her. I have no doubt she will take a liking to you."

Avram could not remember actually leaving his chambers or running up the corridors and stairs towards the king's room. What he would remember for a long time, possibly until his own death, was the scene he saw when walking through the door. The king was still in his usual place in the middle of the bed. This time, however, his eyes were closed and his hands were folded neatly over his chest. He looked like he was in a deep slumber, one he would not awake from. Do people dream in death? Hunched over him was Queen Meredina, her cheeks stained with tears and her sobs echoing throughout the chamber. Near the doorway just beside Avram stood Mina, looking as though she might weep at any moment as well. Trinity crouched next to her mother but she did not cry, instead choosing to whisper to herself, probably a prayer or two. Either her tears had already dried up or she did not shed a single one. Avram could not tell which was true. Yaryk and three healers stood behind the queen looking somber with their heads bowed as the scribe muttered a few prayers. He lifted his head as the prince entered but did not move at first, clearly waiting to see what Avram would do. But the prince did nothing. He simply looked at the corpse that used to be a madman, a madman that used to be his father. He concentrated so intently on the body that he did not even realize Larcin and Belin had followed him up.

"All of you leave!" the queen demanded, choking back more sobs as her eyes lit up with anger. "Leave us to mourn over a beloved father and husband." None of them dared make any arguments. The guard and the squire did not even bow before hurrying away from the door, though Avram was not quite sure where they ran off to. The healers bowed and departed from the room quickly without a word, and Yaryk followed. But the old scribe stopped before Avram and leaned closer to him. For a moment the prince thought he was attempting to give him a hug as a means of comfort, but then his voice came in a delicate whisper, quiet enough for only Avram to hear. "The healers say his death did not occur naturally. They think he was poisoned." As the scribe exited the room, Avram nearly laughed at the stupidity, then almost laughed at himself for wanting to laugh. Someone had poisoned the king, a man who was so ill that he likely would have died naturally before the year was over with. For a long time the prince simply stood there, his eyes fixated on his father. He did not know how long he stood there for, though he vaguely recalled his mother addressing him. "Avram, it is okay to mourn. It is okay to be upset. Please, come sit by us." But he did not budge, only half hearing her words as a stream of what seemed like endless questions filled his head. Without a word, he turned to leave the room. The door creaked slightly as it opened. He would have to see that fixed before long. Shutting it softly behind him, Avram strode back to his own chambers.

"It was her, I know it!" Meredina shrieked. Her distraught was suddenly replaced by anger. Yaryk had told her the moment she walked in what had killed Feldon. It had to be Myla. Who else would have wanted to see him dead by their own hand despite the fact that he would be dead from his own illness in a matter of months? Her father was taken from her because an Auvery betrayed him, and now her husband was murdered by one. She would see Myla Auvery dead before all was said and done. Neither Mina nor Trinity looked entirely convinced, but the queen did not care for their opinions just now. "Myla Auvery is a murdering whore and I will see that her head is sitting on my mantle if it's the last thing I do." She could not issue an arrest for the girl though, not while she was in her son's good graces. It would have to be something discreet. An assassin could be hired, someone with expert knowledge of poisons and such. But no matter what she could come up with, Meredina realized her satisfaction could only be obtained if she drove a knife through the girl's heart herself. She must find a way to be alone with her, which would be difficult to do until after the wedding was over... and the funeral.

A knock came at the door and the queen nearly exploded. But then the sentry on the other side listed the names that wished to enter, and Meredina graciously allowed them to enter. Corlan Eburhart strode in with his wife Lady Odalle looking grief stricken to say the least. Behind them all three of their children stepped into the room as well, though none of them seemed to be as upset as their mother. Odalle hurried to Meredina's side and wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulders. "My dear," she said slowly, almost whispering, "I know he meant everything to you." She planted a gentle kiss on Meredina's cheek and tried to soothe her with soft words. "He was a good king in his prime. Do not grieve because of his passing. Be happy for the time you enjoyed with him." Meredina almost wanted to slap the woman. Enjoy? The last few years of Feldon's like had been less than enjoyable to say the least. But she did not let her anger seep out. That would be reserved for the Auvery girl. Smiling, Meredina replied with a simple, "Thank you."

Myla only wished that he would tell her what to do, however even she knew that that could never be so. She may have wanted him to do such a thing, however whether or not she would truly take his words would be an entirely different case. After all, after the death of her family, she knew that she had always had an issue with following other people's commands, though, in a sense, she had a feeling that that had come from her growing up as a noble when she was young. But she nodded her head nonetheless and breath out a little sigh before her eyes went to peer at the door that Ser Ector pointed to before she looked back at him. How would it be like to travel with a young girl? She almost laughed at the thought of her being somewhat of an older sister to his daughter, and it even made the smallest of a smile grace her lips, however she let them dip down. "I cannot say how I truly am when it comes to children seeing as I have not spent much time around any, however I would love to meet her. I figure now would be a good start, seeing as how we will be traveling together after all." She gave a little nod of her head before heading over towards the doors of the grand hall, however when she took notice of the other people in the room she stopped, frowned and then took a breath. "Maybe now would not be the best time, however." She gave Ser Ector a skeptical gaze, almost worried. "Not with the people in attendance in the room for the time being."

Of course her mother hadn't been in her own chambers when Mina had stepped in. She had half a mind to yell at the guards that stood on guard in front of the doors as she quickly closed the doors behind her, but she did no such thing. Through her distorted mind, she could not utter even a single word. Her feet placed her back in front of the doors that lead to her father's chambers, her hands trembling badly as she bit her lip to try and calm the sobs that wanted to shudder from her. Already she could feel her resolve breaking, and she hadn't even step foot into the room. But, to just know that her father would no longer be living, and that he was just on the other side of the door. She could have sworn that she heard sobs from inside the room, and it only seemed to make the lump that seemed to form in her throat increase. She knew that she would have to go in there though. She had to see what she didn't want to see.

Eventually she had built the resolve to walk into the room, but as soon as she had walked in to see her mother hunched over her father's lifeless figure, Mina couldn't help but lean herself against the wall besides the door, it having closed behind her. She covered her hand with her mouth, tears welling in her eyes before they finally spilled. She could see her father's body on the bed from where she stood. The paleness of the skin, how frail the man looked, how sick he looked. Yet... It almost seemed as it he was at peace with himself. The way his face held no emotions, no pain, no... Anything. She had half a mind to think that maybe this wast he best option for him. To know that he was no longer in pain or growing mad with every increasing day because he was dead. Except, not when she was told how her father had died. No, he hadn't just died. He had been killed, poisoned. But who would do such a thing? Why would anyone wish so much harm upon her father who was already sick?

It took all of Mina's strength to not fall to the ground on her knees and weep, but she did use that strength to keep herself upright. Trinity had come into the room shortly after her, a sadness sweeping over her face, however it didn't seem as if tears were running down her face or had. She couldn't exactly tell how well the girl was fairing, however she watched as her younger sister walked over towards their mother and put a reassuring hand on her shoulder before she dipped her head and started whispering something under her breath. There were others already in the room along with them, however Mina could not find any reason to care as to why they were there or who they really were. Well, she knew who they were, maybe not the names of the healers, but everyone else, yes. She just didn't care. There was a war going on in her mind, in her heart. Of course a name had instantly come to mind when she had been told about the poisoning of her father, yet she didn't want to jump to that conclusion. No, there was no proof. Yet she couldn't deny the worry over it, the slight anger as well.

As soon as Avram had come into the room, Mina's turned to look at him, her eyes widened as she took the look on his face. What did he think of this? What did he feel? Her body flinched as her mother's yell suddenly rang out, causing her to look in the direction of her mother. The poor woman. Had she not been through enough? The room was soon emptied, leaving the family to only mourn over their loss, however, Mina's eyes turned back to Avram as he had no moved from his spot in front of the door. "Avram," she spoke out quietly, her voice quivering. But, it almost seemed that as soon as she had said those words, he had turned and went to leave the room. "Avram!" But he had already closed the door before the rest of his name could be uttered again from her voice, and, as soon as he had disappeared, Mina couldn't deny the anger she held for the boy in that moment. Yes, she could understand why he would be afraid or dearly upset by this, but to leave the room in such a haste? He was supposed to be the man of them all, especially now. He was supposed to comfort them, or at least be there with them, with their father. Perhaps she was angry at the wrong thing, the wrong person, however she could not help but feel so towards the boy.

And then her mother's voice ran out again, the anger and hate in her tone obvious and evident. So her mother had been thinking the same thing as well. She thought that the Auvery had killed their father, yet Mina still had a hard time believing that. Because how could she have gotten into the room when there were always guards posted outside? But still, as she listened to her mother, she had no doubt that those words she spoke were true, and she had half a mind to think that she would do the deed herself. Myla Auvery, if her mother had anything to do about it, was going to die regardless of whether or not she actually did this. Eventually she had went over to the bed and knelt down next to her mother, tears once again streaming down her face as she looked towards her father. Now that she was closer she could truly see how he had been suffering through the years. "Father..." She had sat there for a while, enough time for the Eburharts to come in to pay their respects, their words hushed until they eventually grew quiet. Carsil had eventually came into the room as well, and Mina found herself happy to see him come in. She wrapped herself into his embrace before she finally did let out a sob. She couldn't believe that her father was dead.

There would only be so much time before the castle, and the kingdom, would hear word of the death of the King, and she had no doubt that things would change dramatically. Yet, as those thoughts ran through her mind, Avram was the first person that came to mind. He would no longer be just a prince. He was to be king soon. She needed to talk to him. She knew she had felt that way so often as soon as she had stepped foot back into this castle, but the idea could not be denied. She was still upset with him walking out on this moment, of him saying nothing and leaving. But maybe that was just the older sister speaking within her, because she wanted to see if he was okay.

Pulling herself out of Carsil's hold, she wipped her eyes, sniffed, mentioned that she would be back shortly and that she wanted to check on Avram before she turned and left. Though she had caught the quick glimpse that she and Lyanna shared. That weak girl... It was amazing that she hadn't been crying in that moment.

"Avram!" As soon as she had made it to his chambers she quickly opened the door only to see him there, her face pulled into a frown as she closed the doors behind her. "How dare you walk out on us like that. Our father is dead, and you have no sense to even say anything, to not even comfort mother? You are the man of this castle now, and whether or not you do not wish to shed your tears in front of us, we are all family and you need to be there." Tears had run down her cheeks as she spoke, but she quickly wiped them away before she shook her head, her eyes now looking away from her bother. "Who would have done it? Who would have poisoned him?"

When they walked into the hall Ector noticed Myla hesitate and looked at her peculiarly when she suggested that she would meet Elize later. There would likely be no time for her to meet the girl before they left in the morning. But there were quite a few people still there, and he could understand her not wanting to take any chances with so many rumors about her going around. Unfortunately this would still make it difficult when telling Elize his plan. Ector's young daughter rarely ever spoke out against her father's word, and given her current mood she was not likely to now. But she would not be happy leaving even if she probably had no intention of saying as much. "If that is your wish, my lady. But Elize will be going to sleep soon. I'm afraid you will only be able to see her tomorrow morning before we leave. I am sure I can help her to understand though. Your safety is our top priority in this."

"There you are." A voice came from behind them. Another guard. No, this was not just another guard, but Ser Gerold Godfrey, the Captain of the Guard himself. Had Larcin decided to turn them in after all? He knew they should not have trusted the fool. This would be the last time Ector trusted an eavesdropper. But he stood firmly as the captain approached. Even if he was here to arrest them, Ector did not plan on resisting. He was not foolish enough to cross blades with someone as legendary as him. But the man did nothing of the sort. In fact he looked almost relieved to see them. "I'm glad I found you before anyone else could," he said to Myla. "I was afraid someone might try to accuse you of...." he stopped short and moved closer, dropping his voice to barely above a whisper. "The king has been poisoned." Ser Gerold seemed to grimace as he said it. "I though there would be someone accusing you or even trying to arrest you for a crime you did not commit." His face then contorted a little and his eyebrows dipped into a slight frown. "At least, I hope you didn't."

The king was dead. At first Ector thought he misheard, but the captain did not lower his voice for nothing. He was not just dead though. Poisoned. Someone had poisoned the king, and for all he was Ector could not understand why. The king would be dead before long due to his illness. So why kill him? "I'm afraid someone will attempt to act on their belief of who committed the murder," Se Gerold continued, "and from what I understand there will be quite a few people thinking it was you. The queen will surely be one of them. But worry not. I can place four guards at your door every night. We will not risk losing you." So he did not know Myla planned to leave Sarvayl. Apparently Larcin had kept his word about not revealing them. But for how long? At this time that was not the main concern. Myla was in more danger than ever with this news, meaning Ector would have to be alert at every moment until they left. And if for some reason the queen called for her to face trial, there would not doubt be a search for Myla when they realized she left. It seemed that the only real option was for them to cross the Eastern Sea now.

When Mina departed to go after Avram, Meredina was left with Trinity and the Eburharts. Though Corlan and both of his sons left soon after, not wanting to intrude on their mourning much longer. Odalle seemed to be under the impression that she was supposed to be there to comfort her dear friend. Lyanna stayed as well, and while she looked at least a little sad about the news she was not mourning. That was not surprising considering the girl had never met King Feldon II. But it still infuriated the queen. But she would not let her anger be used against anyone except for Myla Auvery. All of her frustration, all of her misery. She had not suffered through her husband's terrible final years only to have him snatched away before his time had come. "Lyanna, my dear," she said in as soothing a voice as she could muster. "Your presence in our time of grief is soothing." A flat lie to say the least. "But your place right now is to comfort Avram. He will be in his own chambers if I am not mistaken. Go to him. In times like this he will always turn to you for comfort." While it was somewhat true, Meredina's primary reason for wanting the girl to leave had to do with the fact that she no longer wished to see the girl's lack of sorrow right in front of her. She probably would have told Odalle to leave if she had a good enough reason for it.

The window to Avram's chambers was wide open, but he was still sweating for some reason. He simply stared out at the city that stood before him. It was his now. And not just Sarvayl, but every bit of land that stretched across the continent, from Tallarth all the way up to Yolan, the kingdom was his. Up until now he could only do so much as a prince, most of it consisting of resolving diplomacy issues and finding solutions to the petty problems his subjects brought before him. Now he could do far more. He could make new council appointments, fill in the positions that had been vacant for years. He had absolute power over the capital's armies. No one could speak a word against him without repercussions.

And yet none of that seemed to matter. His father was dead. For years now Avram knew it would only be a matter of time before his last breath came. But the man was still alive, even if not fully aware of himself. And that was not even the father he wanted to remember. In his prime King Feldon Barkwer II was a glorious leader who handed out justice for all who served him. Even his bitterest rivals could not complain about his fairness, for they benefited from it as much as anyone else. And through all those years his trust in his closest friend, Jensen Auvery, never wavered. But now it was Avram's turn to take the throne. Was he ready for this step? Some would say yes after all of his experience running the kingdom as only a prince. Yet he himself was not so confident. He had not even donned the crown yet, and already there was talk of war in the realm. Right from the start his rule was going to be marred by bloodshed, and as far as he could tell there was no sure way out of it.

It was not long before Mina came barging in like a mother berating her child for breaking an antique jewel. Apparentlt he had forgotten to post sentries at his door after returning. He would have to fix that soon. If someone was willing to murder the king then it was likely that same someone was willing to murder him too. Avram did not respond to Mina's criticism, however. Not at first anyway. She simply did not understand. It was all so much to take in at once... His father was dead. He was the king now. Who killed him? War was coming. His wedding was almost here. He loved Myla... The prince frowned when the last thought came in, and he quickly shoved it out of his mind before he could think on it any longer. No, Mina could never understand his predicament no matter how much he confided in her. No one would.

"I don't know," he confessed when her question was asked, one that half the castle was probably asking right now. There were so many suspects wandering about while stood there. The Eburharts were on the list. Lord Corlan knew he was all but guaranteed the Council Chief position, and maybe waiting was not high on his list. The queen was another, possibly wanting to put her husband out of his misery. Perhaps someone was attempting to frame Myla, thinking she would be the most easily accused. Or maybe it really was Myla. "No," he muttered to himself. "She would never..." Then an interesting thought crossed his mind, one he had not considered until now. "Mina, what if he poisoned himself?" It made less sense when he said it out loud, but then again who could have blamed him if it were true? Living in such a condition could not be pleasant, and Avram was sure he would want to be put out of his misery if the same fate befell him.

Mina narrowed her eyes suddenly at Avram's words and his suggestion, her eyes still burning with tears that wanted to, and did, fall. But again she chose to wipe them away, feeling as if tears would do nothing to better this situation. She could cry about it later should she have any tears left to cry, she figured, back when she was in the security of her own chambers. But here with Avram, to see him not shedding a tear and instead trying to figure out what happened... His demeanor almost angered her, like she had been when she burst into the room so suddenly. A frown dipped across her lips as she looked down the ground, almost embarrassed, now, at her earlier actions. She had no right to berate him in such a way. She had no right to be angry with him because, perhaps, this was his way of grieving. This was probably the way that he wanted to deal with all of this. But Mina knew why it upset her so; because she wanted to see Avram break down, so that she could console him like an older sister should. She wanted to know that her feeling so broken about their father's death was alright, yet it was a wonder to her as to why it had to be Avram to show her that.

"Why would he do that to himself? That does not make any sense," she spoke out, clearing her voice as a softer, less harsh, tone came though her. But, did it not? Her father had been in pain, and through his madness it could have just happened. In a twist of false judgement, he had poisoned himself, unless it had been intentional. "How would he have been able to do such a thing to himself? What all had been in his chamber?" Who had the last person to step into his chambers been? What were the last things brought into his chamber? The guards standing in front of his doors would have to be questioned later on, so that they could get a good inventory of the activity that had happened within his chambers and all that had been brought in and out of the place. She brushed her hand against her forehead as she thoughts ran through her head. There were a lot of things to be done in order to figure this out... She just didn't want to believe that their father would end his own life. In a way she figured doing such a thing was selfish, that he had not even thought about what would happen to his family. But, then again, when was the last time that he had even thought about his family in a sane mind? What were the thoughts that ran through his mind in general?

Wiping at her eyes again, Mina walked over to Avram and placed a hand against his arm, her eyes peering up to look at him as a gentle wind blew through the window. How hard was all of this on him, she wondered. He wasn't presenting anything to her other than shock, or so she thought. "The guards need to be questioned about what and who went in and out of his chambers last. Then we can further along with any knowledge of that." Because, surely, the guards wouldn't have just let anybody into the chambers. Surely they were smart enough to check the things that had been brought in. There was a pause as she bit her lip and swallowed, that lump in her throat still there as she blinked. "Mother plans on having the girl killed." It was a sudden thought, or reminder, rather, to when thinking about people going into the room. Most everyone in the castle knew of the Auvrey's presence, and surely the guards would not dare allow her into the chambers with their father. "Whether or not she will make sure the deed is done or do it herself, I don't know, but mother will have that girl killed because of this, whether or not she did it. I'm not entirely convinced that she poisoned father, but the only reason I believe that is because not even she would be able to sneak herself into his chambers. Not unless she came through this window, which is very unlikely. But she is one of the prime suspects because of who she is, because she would have every reason to want to kill him or us." The thought was a bit of a scare, because if it hadn't been their father to poison himself, that meant someone was around that knew how to do that. Anybody could be next. "Mother is convinced that it is her and she-"

But she stopped with her speaking when a light knock came on the door before it opened slowly. Lyanna's head peaked through the little slit that she had made for herself, her delicate fingers grasping onto the wood of the door. Mina couldn't help but grimace at the presence of the girl, her being someone that she did not want see. Still the girl looked no more sorry that she had in the King's chambers, and it bothered Mina. "My condolences for your loss," she finally spoke up, her tone still light. "I do hope that you two are fairing well enough."

Mina scoffed at the girl's words before her gripped tightened a little on Avram's arm before she dropped it from her grasp. "Our father has been announced dead because of a poisoning and you hope that we are fairing well enough with this?" Perhaps she had gone out of line, especially with seeing the girl flinch in her spot. "I apologize, Lyanna. I'm just upset." She sighed and walked towards the door, allowing Lyanna to walk in as she stood in the door way. "Avram, I do think it would be good for you to see mother at some point. She is very distraught, and maybe seeing you will be good for her." And with those words she left to head back towards her father's chambers.

"I could... Leave, is you so wish," Lyanna spoke up as she clasped her hands together, a flit of concern crossing her features as she looked at the man she was to marry. "Your mother thought it would be a good idea for me to come and see how you were doing. I hope I was not interrupting anything."

Myla looked through the doorway that they stood in front of, her eyes heading over to the spot on the stairs that lead to where the head table had sat just last night. There little figures were resting upon the bottom of it, two girls and one boy, and, to her own judgement, she could only imagine that one of the girls was Ser Ector's daughter. Which one she could not say, however she couldn't deny the sudden worry that came with the thought of traveling with a child. But she pushed the thought away, knowing that Ector would do anything in his being to keep his daughter safe, to which she commended, however she figured that now would not be the best time to see the girl. Not while there were others in the hall. Besides, the girls looked occupied with what they were speaking of, and wouldn't it be a shame to disrupt them? Yes, or at least thinking such a way made her feel a little better. She nodded her head to Ser Ector's words, however soon another voice rang out behind them and she couldn't deny how she was beginning to believe that speaking in this area was a bad idea. What if it was another eavesdropper?

But when she turned to see Ser Gerold her body stiffened again, her mind running with possibilities of what he could know about any of this. Except, as soon as his words were spoken, she couldn't deny how the blood within her veins suddenly froze with the words that he spoke. The King was dead, except he had been poisoned? Her eyes were wide, her gaze almost in a state of shock. She didn't want to believe this. No, while she could not say that she was upset about the King being dead because of what he had done to her family and how she had no relations to the man, what worried her were the implications behind Ser Gerold's words and the death of the King. She, out of everyone in the castle, had a reason for wanting the King dead. Because people thought she wanted revenge, because they would think that she wanted to avenge her family in some type of way. It was all so believable when she thought about it. But she hadn't done this. Though it did not matter to her whether he lived or not, she would never have killed the man, because why would she want to have that man's blood on her hands? If she wanted to die, she would have done that, yet she didn't want to.

"Guards posted at my doors... Yes, if you can allow something like that, then it may be best." The beating of her heart was loud in her ears. Was this normal, to feel so nervous about something? She could not stay here, and she wondered if she would be able to survive the night. But would it not look suspicious for her to leave, especially so soon after the King's death? Surely they would begin to realize that she was gone, but, if she could get away quick enough, maybe she could survive. Surely they wouldn't follow her if they traveled across the seas? "Ser Gerold," she spoke again, her brows pinched as she took a breath, "I do hope that you do not believe that I poisoned the King. I know my family's history with the King is not the best, however I would not kill him for what happened in the past." She could not let him know that she was leaving, no matter what.

In the distance Avram could still hear the dwindling sounds of the busy city. In a few hours most of Sarvayl would be asleep and resting for the many lords and ladies that would arrive on the morrow. But he would get no sleep tonight. How could he? There were so many things to be done now that he was the king, not the least of them finding out who was behind this murder. Where to start? He had half a mind to simply curl up into a ball and hide away from the world. But that would be the coward's way out, and he was no coward. The thought that someone, anyone in this castle, had been able to get by right under his nose and commit such a horrendous treason angered Avram to no end. That was all he could feel in himself now, he realized. It was not an emptiness as he previously thought. It was anger. Rage. One would not be able to see it simply from looking at him. Standing in the moonlight he probably looked as calm and serene as he ever did. It was a struggle to keep that complexion with so much fury building what seemed like a palace inside him. But he would not let Mina see him upset. He had to remain strong and level-headed for all of them, something their father had not done recently.

Avram really had no proof that the king poisoned himself other than the fact that he probably had no will to live any longer. Mina seemed to agree with that sentiment, though he detected a tone of doubt in her voice. But she brought up some interesting points. What did he have in his chamber? Who was allowed in? Were the guards so blind that they did not see it? Or had someone sent in a servant carrying a tray with poison already ladled into his supper? But the man hardly ever ate. That could not have been the cause. This was not an easy to puzzle to solve and it made Avram that much more angry, this time at himself for being such a thick-headed fool. "Who could have poisoned him if he does not eat?" he muttered, keeping his voice low so as not to let Mina hear the anger that was wrought within it. But that was not the question that plagued him. What kind of terrible king would allow such a thing to happen under his own roof? The king who failed.

"Ser Gerold will be questioning the guards soon if he is not already." His voice was still soft. How did he know it was not the Captain of the Guard himself? Gerold Godfrey was as great an admirer of Jensen Auvery as anyone. And he issued orders to every guard in the palace. It could so easily be him. Gods, I must be as mad as father right now. The knight was far to noble to resort to something as sly as poison, and even if he was not Avram did not truly believe the man would break his own vows by murdering a man he was sworn to protect. But who? Mina spoke of Myla as well. That made his blood boil even more. How dare she accuse the woman he love- No! You do not love her! Myla may have been upset about her family, but she was not foolish enough to seek vengeance while she was a sitting duck here in Sarvayl. But she also intended to leave. Had she decided that it was time to commit the deed now that she would be away from them all? No. He would not let himself believe that she had anything to do with the king's death.

Accusing Myla was probably going to be a common theme. And that all began because of the queen. His own bloody mother. Was she truly that paranoid? How could she so willingly accuse Myla without proof? How could Mina do almost as much? The heat in Avram's stomach grew dangerously warmer the more he thought about it. For all he knew the queen herself might have poisoned her husband to relieve him of his misery and then took the opportunity to frame Myla. No, mother loved father with all her heart. She could never kill him. But did she love him enough to do just that? If she had, her decision to blame Myla was all the more infuriating. "It was not Myla. And if you have any inclination to believe it was then you are as foolish as mother." This time he had not disguised the rage in his voice so easily, and it shook noticeably as he spoke.

Still keeping his eyes firmly on the city, Avram did not move when Lyanna enter, nor did he acknowledge Mina's departing words as she left. He was on the verge of breaking. He felt as though he might break a hole in the thick stone wall. The woman was offering her condolences, yet her voice suggested that she could just as easily have been discussing the weather. This would be his wife. His own bloody wife. She knew nothing of his father, and here she was feigning grief as if she did, and quite badly at that. But her next words contorted his face into a deep set frown. Not interrupting? Rounding on her suddenly, the rage that had filled Avram from the moment he learned of his father's death all seemed to exude from every pore in his body at once. "Of course you were interrupting! My sister and I were trying to learn who it was that caused this, and here you come in acting as if my father's death has any meaning to you!" He was sure anyone that happened to pace the ground directly below his window could hear every word as clear as a bell despite his chambers being on the fifth floor of the tower. "How do I know it wasn't you or your family? Your father didn't want me to accept you because he thought I was a strapping young lad! He wanted power! He wanted it through you! Maybe he could not wait any longer before he saw his daughter sit on the queen's throne! How do I know that as soon as a baby is birthed from your womb that he will not slit my throat as well?"

Suddenly Avram realized all of the anger that filled him was gone. Just like that he was left breathless and sweating profusely. Where the fury sat before, only pain and misery were left. Quickly he turned his face back to the window, not daring to look at the hurt in Lyanna's eyes. "Forgive me. I should not have said any of that," he finally mumbled after what seemed like an endless silence. It took him a moment to realize that there were tears staining his cheeks and he hastily scrubbed them away, but more continued to fall anyway. He had taken all of his pain and thrown it at his own fiance. And for what? Because she asked if she was interrupting anything? Because it was Lyanna standing behind him and not Myla? "You should probably leave. I fear I have hurt you, something I never intended." His father was dead.

For half a moment Ector believed Myla was going to inform the captain that they were leaving, but when she made no mention of it he sighed with relief. Ser Gerold was obviously a friend to Myla, otherwise he would not have come to warn her about the accusations being made against her. Still, who could say if he would take her departure well? After all, they did need her to settle disputes with the north, probably one of the reasons she was so hesitant to leave at first. But she would not be able to help them if she did not live. Ector's thoughts snapped back to the other knight when he spoke again. "I would not think you capable of such treachery, my lady," he said in a dignified manner. "But you must understand that everyone is suspicious of everyone. Some might even believe a member of the royal family committed the crime, as ridiculous as it may seem." He frowned a little at that but did not pursue the topic. "I am sorry, but I must return to my duties. I came only to warn you to keep a sharp eye out, and not just for those you mistrust. And I still intend to continue your lessons with the sword, so I will see you at the same time tomorrow. You may have more need of them now than ever."

When Ser Gerold left them Ector raised an eyebrow at Myla. "Sword lessons?" he inquired with intrigue. "I suppose it is not a bad idea actually, even if it is something unheard of for a woman to carry a weapon." His voice lowered to something just above a whisper and he peered around, this time not daring to speak until he was certain no one else was around. "Whoever poisoned the king is no friend of your's. They had to know that you would be a prime suspect. What other reason could there be for killing a man who was already as good as dead?" It was a rhetorical question so he did not wait for an answer. "If we leave so soon after the king's death it will ignite a great amount of suspicion. They will probably send at least twenty good men to hunt you down, and unless we are lucky that will be near impossible to escape. Are you sure you still wish to leave?"

She hadn't expected him to yell at her like that. Not ever, especially not now. Lyanna knew that she was never good with condolences, mostly because she had never had to try and console anyone before, however she hadn't expected the results to be like this. First was Mina's little quip about her having come into the room, saying the wrong thing, and now Avram. Her own soon to be husband. She took a couple of steps back at his accusations, her hands reaching up to press against her chest as her eyes widened, filling with tears as her lips quivered. How could he blame something like this on her own family? They would never do such a thing, especially if they were trying to get on their good graces, especially not with them marrying her off to him. In her own mind, Avram was beginning to turn into a man that Lyanna did not want to now. His politeness that he had shown to her previously was all but gone now, and that man she thought she had begun to get to know, or see, at the feast last night was tarnished now.

But, then, how could she be upset with him about this? How dare she have to audacity to think such thoughts? Her mother's own voice rang through her head with those words. She had no right. He was in pain, he was upset, and he was sad about his father's death and she had to understand that. Her mother and father had given her a brief summary of the King, telling her before they had arrived to the castle that more than likely he would only last a few more months at best and she would have to console Avram like she was now, and even the Queen herself. Except, they hadn't expected it to be so soon, right? She was not prepared for something like this, and she was not prepared to face the wrath that she had just endured from Avram. Again, though, she told herself that he was only upset and that he may not mean those words, though that was hard to believe. He seemed adamant about blaming her family, something that even angered her. Why would he even accuse them of doing such a thing? Though she had hardly seen much of her own family other than her mother since their arrival, her father would not dare do such a thing. He always said that he respected the man, despite how they had really not had strong relations with one another. The bond between their families had always come from the Queen and her mother...

At his final words, Lyanna's back had been pressed against the door as she continued to look at the man she was to marry. His back was facing hers, and she wanted to go to him to try and reassure him again, to say that she understood why he would be so upset about this, however she could not lie and say such a thing. She knew nothing of what it was like to lose a relative, especially a father, because her's was still alive. "You should not apologize, Avram. You are hurting, and that is fine. But..." She hesitated, took a breath but then shook her head. No, she would not try and convince him that her family had done no wrong, because she felt as if that would make him more upset. Anyone could be to blame, and he just wanted answers. "But, if you need someone to speak to about any of this, then I am always here to listen." It sounded so rehearsed how she spoke those words and even she knew as such, but she knew not of what else to say. She knew she would listen, that at least was true, though she doubted that he would call her back. Those words seemed right, and it was apparent that he wanted her to leave. Besides, she did not want to be subject to another one of his shouts. "I truly am sorry, Avram. I cannot say that I understand what you are going though, so I won't lie and say that I do. But, I do hope that who ever did such a thing to your father is dealt with and found quickly before any more bad can happen to any of you." She only stood there for a few more seconds, feeling as if she had said too much, and then opened the door to his chambers before slowly closing it behind her.

Myla couldn't help but let out a breath when Ser Gerold reassured her that he did not believe that she had been the one to poison the King. That, at least, was one person, however how many would he be against in terms of them not believing that she had done the deed? They would have no proof that she had done the act, however she would not put it past anyone to put the blame on her, to which she figured most people already were. However there was a little bit of a reassurance, as well, with Ser Gerold mentioning that most people were suspicious of everyone. No one in this castle was safe from being a suspect, even she knew that, however she knew that it would be a matter of who they found more suspicious or who they thought would be more able to commit the act. "Yes, I understand," she spoke, nodding her head lightly as she swallowed and looked down at the ground, her hands clenching together again as worry started to rush through her. "Thank you for the warning. Hopefully this person will be caught and dealt with before the wrong person falls to the hands of the law." She grimaced a bit at her own words. What if she ended up being that person? Being the one to have the blame put on and killed just because of who she was?

She picked her attention back up to Ser Ector, more of a wariness beginning to sweep through her form. "Well, the original reason for me learning the art of sword was to make myself seem more knowledgeable and strong, so that, even because I am a woman, men may take me seriously if I want to make any alliances with them with the plans to settle the north. However, I feel as if that plan may have just changed." Because if people were after her, than she would have to fight if given the opportunity. Learning the art of sword, if she continued with this, would no longer be about trying to make herself seem more of an active force in the ways of war. Now, in her own mind, it would be a way to learn to protect and defend herself. When he started whispering, she leaned in a little more to hear him better, her eyes flicking to the right and left quickly before they landed back on the man before her. He was right, and she knew he was. The person who killed the King could very well have done it just to blame it on her. And, if that was the case, then they might have tried to make the evidence, if there was any, lead back to her. She wanted to believe that it was a long shot, that this person who had poisoned the King truly had their own motives for wanting to kill him and those motives were not to try and get rid of her. She wouldn't put it past anyone, however she didn't want to believe something like that was true.

But why, then, had it only happened that night, right after Myla's presence had been spread around castle? Perhaps it was just a coincidence, and that the person had been planning it all along and just decided to make it on that day. "I don't know," Myla finally spoke up with the shake of her head. Her eyes were pointed back to the ground as she bit her lip, her brows furrowed as her hands shook lightly. What was she supposed to do? Leaving had been the plan, however if they left during sunrise there would no doubt be suspicion, and hearing of her leaving would probably make them send people after her. They would not be able to make it to the ports in time, and even so who was to say that they wouldn't already be anticipating her trying to flee the kingdom all together? But if she stayed then, maybe, there would be less suspicion, however she would not fancy the idea that she was safe. More than likely she would be questioned, or something may be attempted against her life. What if she were to be arrested because of this? And who was to say, if they did leave, that the guard patrolling the gate would not stop her, or anyone else trying to leave the castle because of this? Everyone was a suspect. She looked back up to the man and sighed, trying to keep her resolve. "Even if we do decide to leave, I doubt if we would be able to pass the gates. After all, I'm sure that there will be more security around, and I'm sure that now they will be paying much closer attention to who comes into the castle and who leaves. Regardless, I think we may be stuck. And it's even like you said; if I left they would send men after me if they found a just reason for the fact, and I have no doubt that they may anticipate where we would go, and I feel like, because you are with me, that you and your daughter's life will be in danger as well." She frowned. "But if we stay, that could cause just as many problems, or it may not. If they can find nothing against me with the murder, then they cannot do much to be, however I do believe that someone may try and attempt to take my life because of this. I just... Have to be more careful. Perhaps in a few days we could leave, when things have settled down and when, hopefully, I will have been questioned all I can about this and have been proven that I did not do this. That may be the best option. But what do you think?"