Impossible Love (Completed)

Re: Impossible Love

Efron fainted from shock shortly after being taken to the hospital. He was rushed to the ER and immediately seen by the surgeon. They were able to remove the wood without any major problems. The wounds were assessed and stitched up. He remained unconscious for hours after. Tom took it upon himself to meet up with Emilee, who had been taken home, and tell her the news. He drove to her house and knocked. Emilee answered and invited him in. "Efron alright dear. He has been out for awhile now but he is just recovering. You were very brave today honey, I am very proud of you. I am sorry I took so long to show up. I failed you as a father and as sheriff." He his was in his hands and he looked at Eva, who was asleep in her bassinet. "I'm glad little Eva is ok. Everyone is ok." He offered a smile to his daughter.

Emilee brought her hands to her face and felt like she was falling apart. Yes, Efron was alive and would be well soon, but she felt like her life was torn apart at the seams. Here she was, having babies and getting married, waltzing around the store and acting as if life were perfect, and finally the world was a cruel, awful place. What kind of a mother and a woman was she to bring little Eva into this? What if the baby had to endure what her father had suffered all her life, just because she was the daughter of a Jew? The thought made her sick, and sometimes she found it hard to even look at her infant daughter.

The young woman collasped into Tom's arms, sobbing softly. At first he seemed startled but soon his arms came to wrap around her, rubbing her back and assuring her that everything would be okay. Emilee sobbed her heart onto his sleeve, telling him about feeling like she was an awful mother, and how she didn't know how she was going to go on.
Efron was always putting himself in harm's way for her, and here he was, doing it again. How long would it take for him to use his last life, and perish all because of her? The thought made Emilee sick and she ran to the bathroom, throwing up her lunch immediately.

What kind of a mother and wife was she?

Tom stood with sympathy in his heart. "Emilee, do not bring yourself down. It is not your fault. You are a wonderful mother, a perfect wife to Efron...you are a great daughter." After she had left the bathroom he hugged her once more. "We can visit Efron if you want. I think seeing you and Eva will be perfect way to wake up. What do you say?" He smiled and parted the hair from her face. Eva was now cooing and making small noises. It was about the only thing normal in their lives right now. Eva was young and had probably forgot about the events of today already. "Do not worry about those men. They squealed like pigs and told us all about their group. They won't ever be here again. This town is safe. I will make sure it stays this way."

(So, do we have a name for the town. I forget if it does :P)

(We do but I forget! :()

Despite Tom's reassuring words, Emilee still didn't feel safe. First in Sete, and now here? It was like those nasty Germans were following them even after the war. They made her sick to think that she shared blood with them. Even after Hitler was gone and his Nazi party has disbanded, it was clear that his ideas and legacy still prevailed on. And just when she thought they were going to live happily ever after...

Emilee bundled the baby up in a soft cotton blanket and allowed Tom to bring her to the hospital. Efron was still fast asleep on the gurney, but colour had returned to his face and the nurse assured the young wife that he would rise soon enough. He would be given some pain medication and might have some bloody discharge for awhile, but in a few days, he'd be fine to go home.

Keeping the baby close against her close, Emilee slowly leaned forward and tucked Efron's hair to the side. Even ill and asleep, he was as handsome as the day she met him. Tears immediately welled in Emilee's eyes, guilt wrapping around her like a cruel blanket, and she rested her head on his chest. "I-I-I'm sorry, honey."

Efron awoke to the sight of Emilee and Eva asleep by his bedside. The window in the room indicated it was late night and Efron wrenched his teeth in pain. He still managed to make a smile at the sight of his family. A nurse walked in after a few minutes and smiled when she saw Efron awake. "Hello Mr. Bell. How are you feeling?" He kept his smile at the nurse. "I'm in some pain, but other than that I feel great. How long has it been since..." "Around 12 hours. Your wife and child have been here for at least seven. Don't worry though, we've fed her and made sure she could feed Eva. You have a very loving woman at your bedside." The nurse signed a few papers then exited. Tears swelled in Efron's eyes. They were ok. His world still remained close to him. He wanted so much to call her name but decided to let her sleep. The tears slid down his cheeks. They were hot full of love. "Emilee...Eva...I love you both, so much." He safe softly. Efron recalled the days events. He hoped so dearly that it was the last thing to happen to his family.

When Emilee woke around midnight, she was happy to find that Efron was still resting. Right now, she wasn't sure she could face him. How could she tell him how she felt? Not that she regretted having a family but that she felt guilty about it, so much that her insides clenched with pain when she looked down at Eva. Would the baby hate them when she was older? For putting her into this world, a half-breed "demon girl" that no one seemed to want to be there. A tear slipped from Emilee's eye.
Luckily, the nurse had brought a small bassinet from the maternity ward for Eva. Emilee carefully placed her down, and averted her eyes. She couldn't dare look into those sweet cheeks or baby blue gaze; guilt would wrap around her, threatening to swallow her certainly. What kind of a woman and a mother was she to bring a life, so precious but so dangerous, into this world?
Emilee grabbed one of the blankets from a nearby shelf and wrapped it around herself, hoping it would hold her together when all she wanted to do was fall apart.

Efron had fell asleep and woke up the next day, in the afternoon. Emilee and Eva had gone home, which was understandable. A doctor was in the room when he awoke. "Ah, Mr. Bell, I think you'll be happy to know that you are being released today. The sheriff is going to take you home, very nice of him." Efron smiled a bit. "Well he is my step-father." The doctor was surprised. "Oh, I did not know that. Well you have family in high places. Whenever he arrives, we will come and get you up and out of here." Efron nodded and it was another hour before Tom arrived.

The doctor reentered the room with Tom behind him. "Efron, you look much better than before, no offense." The three shared a laugh and they helped Efron up, who was thankfully able to move under his own power. He was thankful the morphine was able to subdue much of the pain. Tom and Efron walked out to the car and made their way to his house. Efron was excited to see his beautiful wife and child.

Once they arrived at the house, they made their way to the door and walked in being as they door had been unlocked. "Emilee, honey, you have a visitor." Tom called out into the house.

Emilee had been upstairs, reading a book in their room and trying to get her mind off her heartache, when the two men bellowed from downstairs. Emilee sighed softly and made sure to check on Eva, who was luckily sleeping in her crib. Emilee hated even going into her room, grief and guilt wrapping around her, knowing that if she hadn't shot this room would have been empty forever.

She came down the stairs and offered a meek smile at her husband. He was hunched over slightly, clearly in pain, but gave her a broad smile in return, much larger and pronounced then her own. Emilee slowly approached Efron but instead of embracing him, she just touched his cheek and looked into his eyes. "Welcome home, honey. Are you feeling a bit better now?"

"I am." Efron answered. He could tell that Emilee was not herself. Her smile was weak and her eyes showed sadness rather than the happy blue that usually portrayed. Tom left early due to his work. It left the couple in the kitchen. They sat at the table and for awhile it was quiet. "Emilee," Efron began staring at the table, " I can not thank you enough for what you did. You were stronger than I could have ever been. You...I...." His hands gripped into fists. "I want to promise that I can protect you always, but back there, I was so weak." He felt a wave a guilt himself now, staring away from his wife and towards the floor. "You did what none one else could. You stood up to evil." Tears began to form in his eyes. "I am so happy to have you, I just want to apologize. I-I love you so much Emilee."

Emilee shook her head, feeling the tears begin to fill her eyes and an awful pounding against her chest wall. Efron was stabbing at her, over and over again, without even knowing it. Wanted to protect her... hoping it wouldn't happen again... calling her brave. All of it made Emilee sick to her stomach, and she felt like she could vomit.

"No!" she cried out, standing up. The chair legs slid angrily against the hardwood flooring, screeching against it and making a loud noise. The chair when toppling backwards, so loud that it startled Eva up in her nursery, and soon she began to wail. Emilee brought her hands to her face and began to sob, "no! I'm not brave, I'm not nothing. I'm awful, Efron! We brought that baby into the world, and for what? So that she could be killed when she can't even defend herself? Or for you to kill yourself defending her? Having her was the worst thing we could ever do! She's got a target on her forehead, and I've learned t-through all this that they're not going to s-stop until... until they've hit it. It's never ending, Efron! Never... never ending."

Efron was shocked at her words. The worst thing they could ever do? Efron knew that wasn't true and it pained him to hear it. "Emilee, h-how could you say that? Eva...Eva is not a mistake. She is a beautiful gift that we have. When all seemed lost, you stood up and proved something to me. You proved how much you love her, how much you really love us. Emilee you are unlike any woman. You're able to do what is right, and what is needed, no matter what. Eva will grow up having an amazing mother by her side. I don't care what comes our way. We have prevailed time after time. It's not luck anymore. It's our will to keep Eva safe. Our will to make sure our daughter grows up knowing how beautiful the world can really be. You've shown this to me since the day I first met you." Efron stood up slowly, getting ready to head up to Eva, who was crying loudly. "Eva isn't crying upstairs right now because she is afraid of life, afraid of what could happen. She is crying because she wants her mother, and her father, who love her so much. She knows the love you have for her." Efron walked past Emilee and started up the stairs. "She is a blessing, not a mistake."

For the rest of the day, Emilee sat on the front porch, hot tears streaming down her face as she stared out into the fields beyond their home. She hadn't meant that little Eva was a mistake but her heart was heavy with the thought of the baby. The words had come out wrong. Eva was a gift to the young mother but at the same time, she felt awful for bringing her into this world. No matter what Efron said, Emilee knew that their luck was wearing thin. Every time they got hurt, that thread was beginning to break. And now they had a baby tacked onto the whole thing, making their thread thinner and more fragile.

She sat on the porch until night broke the sky. Several times she heard the baby wailing in the house, but couldn't bring herself to walk in there. They had a bottle ready for her, and though Eva much preferred her mother's breast to the bottle's nipple, she would drink it if she was hungry. So Emilee stayed out there, feeling stick and wanting to sink into the ground.

Efron spent the day tending to Eva. When she was asleep, he would try and regain some movement. It wasn't until late that he walked outside to see Emilee. He hated the barrier that had formed around them. "E-Emilee." Efron said as he walked towards her and took a seat next to her. "I'm sorry if I offended you in any way earlier. I-I just wanted you to know that nothing has changed. Eva is safe, and nothing like that will happen again. I.." Efron placed a hand on hers. "I don't want to drift apart from you. I love you too much to let this tarnish what we have, and I do strongly believe that everything is ok." He wiped a tear from her eye. "You are what keeps me happy, my world revolves around you. I look up to you really. Your morals and actions amaze me everyday." Efron became quiet after than, staring at the moon as it rose into the dark night sky. It was quiet and peaceful, and if not for the tension that lurked it would be a beautiful time. Efron soon stared at the wooden porch, wanted his wife to hold and to love.

Why couldn't Efron understand how she was feeling? He could never guarentee her safety, or that their baby was going to be safe from harm. When they heard that Hitler had been killed, they were sure that they would be able to live in peace... and thus they had Eva. But now what? No matter what, it seemed that there would always be someone lurking in the shadows, wanting them and their family dead. The world was not a safe place, Emilee had learned that ages ago but only just realized it.

With a sigh and a tear down her cheek, Emilee laid back against the porch and stared up at the sky. Efron's large hand still remained wrapped around hers, holding it dearly. "Baby," she whispered with a sniffle, "you don't understand how I feel. I feel like I am an awful mother, a horrible woman for bringing Eva into the world. I love her so dearly, but look what I've done to her. In this country, she'll never be safe. Someone will always want her blood. Look at what happened to you. I can't bear for that to happen to my baby, and no matter what I do, I know it will. One day I won't have a gun, won't be able to save my baby."

"When the Jews started being taken and killed, when the discrimination began even before that, I felt how you do now. I felt like no matter what I would do, no one I loved would be safe. I feared for my mother, my father, and Abbie everyday. Then Abbie left and my parents were taken away. I was hopeless, nothing seemed like it would change. I took every day as if it was my last. Then I met you, and slowly my perspective changed. Even after saving you from those Germans, after moving to Sete, after the invasion of Sete. None of that made me feel like I had once before. I had faith that as long as I had you, nothing would bring us apart or end. I was right, and I still am. It is true, we are at constant danger, we always will be. When Eva grows up, and has children of her own, they will be in danger. It's impossible to avoid it, but I use my heart to lead me through it all. My love for you and our daughter will always prevail over evil. You showed that at the shop. I know it's hard to imagine being safe after that, but it will be. In time this will be a memory that will stand as a testament. My parents could very well be alive today. Abbie is just down the road. Your father and mother are close, and your brothers are as well. Eva is just up the stairs. Everyone you love is too close to be afraid, to be worried. Life is full of hardships, but we will pull through. Down the road, when we are old and grey. When our sons and daughters are all older and raising kids of their own. We will smile. Emilee," Efron turned her face to his, "There is no such thing as impossible love."

Efron held his young wife in his arms after that, cradling her close and rocking her like a child. Emilee told him all her worries and her fears, and he tendered them with sweet reassurances and strokes of her hair. Oh, Emilee loved him so dearly. The fear and worry was still apparent in her face but they knew that with time it would subside.

"Honey?" Emilee whispered. It was getting darker and darker outside, and the sky was beginning to dot with little stars, twinkling brightly, as though waving at them.
Efron looked down at her and nodded, kissing her hairline.
"I... I'm not.. not sure...," she started slowly, feeling her heart break slightly, "as long as we are here, and we are in danger, I don't think I can bring myself to have another child. I would be so afraid all the time. And if something happened? It would be bad enough to lose our Eva, and if we had more, and they were all taken from us?" Her heart was breaking just thinking about it.

Efron held her tight. "It's ok, we don't have to think about that now. We have Eva, who is a beautiful and bright baby. That's enough for me now. I have you as well, you bring me ultimate safety and comfort." He stared into her eyes and smiled with love. He leaned in and kissed her lips softly, but with passion. "I know it may not seem like it, but everything will be fine. We might run into obstacles, but that will be just another test. I think we have a pretty good track record, you and I. It just makes you that special someone." He smiled once more and kissed her forehead, keeping a loving hold of her. It made his heart swell.

Emilee allowed her husband to carry her up to bed that night. Little Eva was hungry though and Emilee willingly accepted her little body, propping herself up against her pillow and allowing the baby to suckle on her breast. She felt a little bit lighter though, looking at her innocent baby, but her heart was still a few sizes to big. She pined for more children just like their precious girl, but at what cost would that come?

Once Eva was down in her crib for the night, Emilee returned to the bedroom, her robe still hanging out. Efron was beginning to take his shoes off at the edge of the bed and Emilee quickly removed her panties and night pants, leaving her in only the opened robe.

When Efron finally turned to look at her, she approached him. He sat on the edge of the bed but because of her low stature, his face came flush with her chest. Emilee leaned down kissed him gingerly. "Baby, I just... I just need you to love me tonight." It might be hard with his injuries but she didn't want much. Just some soft touching and holding, reminding the young woman that her husband and family were alright.

Efron took her in his arms and positioned themselves so he was over top of her, Emilee's head resting on their pillows. He leaned down and kisses her lips before moving to her neck. Efron's kisses and touches were as soft as ever, each on filled with love. His hands moved along her soft sides as he removed her robe, and all of his clothes as well. He pressed himself against her. His stitches were small, and the pleasure outweighed the pain. Efron hand's cupped her breasts, teasing her nipples as his mouth met her lips again. "I love you Em." He whispered to her. He too wanted to make love, he would put his heart into this, all of it.

He reminded the young woman just why she loved him so dearly. Without any question or protest, Efron quickly disrobed and began to love her. What more could a woman ask for in a man? She enjoyed him very much and rubbed his strong chest muscles as he hovered over top of her. She wanted to forget everything that had happened today, wanted to erase the pain with love.
Her breath hitched a little bit as he cupped her sensitive breasts, doing just what she loved and teasing the nipples, making them sensitive and erect. The cold air didn't help the situation, either, and goosebumps popped up on her skin.

A single tear slipped from Emilee's eye, a mixture of emotional pain and happiness. "I love you too, baby. Just... just please, make me whole again..."