I upgraded to Windows 10...

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I ran into my first problem with Windows 10, and it looks like a freakin doozy. For some reason my screen was split into four, and after trying everything that I found on the web, I decided to try to do a system restore. Problem is, my screen resolution is fucked, and I can barely see anything that I'm doing. Changing the resolution won't help. Depending on how I change it, it just makes the fonts a bit fuzzier, or clearer, not any bigger. Tried using that magnifier in accessibility, but it wouldn't freaking come up.

So I ended up doing a system reset figuring what the hell, I get my system restored, and I don't lose my files. Well, now all I get is a blue screen with a nice little 'Oops, we fucked up!' message.......and now I'm reformating my HD to revert back to Windows 8.

If you've recently acquired or factory restored a laptop that doesn't yet run Windows 10, and you're not seeing the 'Get Windows 10' reservation icon in your taskbar, Microsoft has a tool for you:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the one that coorespondes with your computer (typically, 64-bit will be the one you'll use). You can either download installation media for DVD or USB installation, or you can simply upgrade the computer you run the tool from.

I've done some toying around with Windows 10 in a virtual machine, just to get ready for it with my new computer.

I must say, I'm enjoying it a little more than I thought I would. No major hiccups or snags yet, although it's only been a few short hours of usage thus far.

'Course, my favorite thing so far is that I'm not stuck with the blinding white theme for system menus and apps...

oDSLnU8.png

I'm now actually looking forward to it, as opposed to being wary of it. I'm still not excited about the forced Windows Updates (upgrading to Pro should fix that), but I think everything will be just fine.

I'm now actually looking forward to it, as opposed to being wary of it. I'm still not excited about the forced Windows Updates (upgrading to Pro should fix that), but I think everything will be just fine.
See what I mean? It's really stable and useful.

Just remember to search "Privacy Settings" because the default Win10 settings are super duper snoopy.

See what I mean? It's really stable and useful.

Just remember to search "Privacy Settings" because the default Win10 settings are super duper snoopy.

That was the first thing I did... and the first thing I will do when I do the real install in about 10 days.

I'm also not at all hesitant to set it up on Ma's computer. She has the "reservation" icon, but that won't be necessary.

Reactions: Brovo
Status
Not open for further replies.