I Need You

By the look of what Eric was doing, it seemed he wanted the others to get mad. So Joline didn't try fighting it anymore and was giving him all the attention. The fight had her at the edge of her seat, that is if her mom would let her do that, but she was so engaged in what was going on that the time flew by and the King was annoucning that Eric had won this match to the cheering crowd. The judges surprising handed him nice scores, something that isn't normally done with the younger contestants.

After that all the others battled against their foes. There were only 20 of them, which meant that each person had to fight 19 times, and it looked like through most of them that the judges were favoring Eric more during his fights. At the end of the first round Eric and a man named Elliot were tied for first. The five people with the lowests scores were let go. James managed to stay in the contest at rank 3. Now there were only 15 contestants, but the day was over. Tomorrow would be the archery challenges, which was the shortest challenge of that day, and the contestants in first, second, and third got a chance to spend time with Joline around the castle or city. Third would get to go first, which was the time before the feast of that day, rank 2 would get the time during the feast to have Joline all to himself, and the first contestant would actually get to spend the rest of the night with her. Of course a guard would be posted in and out of the room to make sure nothing major happened.

The King allowed everyone to return home, and the rest of the contestants were free to go to the changing tent. Absolutely no fighting outside of the challenges were allowed. Anyone caught causing the fight would be taken out of the contest all together, and the guards kept a strict watch. Especially this year since the prize was the King's daughter.

Eris was exhausted during the last fights, but she forced herself to keep going. In the end she had been able to place first together with some other guy named Elliot. Even though he was one of the first five people she fought with she still remembered the fight clearly. He had been very skilled and in the end the king had been forced to say it was a draw since no one of them gave up. Eris hadn't been beaten by anyone, she had either won or gotten a draw and it seemed like the judges liked her very much. But the competition weren't over yet.

The archery shouldn't be that hard for her but she still wanted to practice during the evening so that she didn't risk anything. She really wanted to score first place the next day too so that she could spend the night with her beloved. It was impossible for her to know which of the men would be good in archery just from battling in a sword fight. But she had already guessed that Elliot was very skilled. Not because he had been so hard to beat, it was just something with the way he moved. It felt like a bow would fit in his hand more than a sword.

As she changed back to her normal clothes, or rather Eric's normal clothes she heard some of the guys coming closer to the tent. They sounded a bit angry, or actually more than a bit. As much as Eric had flirted with the princess it wasn't such a surprise. Eris had been able to change clothes and gotten out of the tent just before the guys had entered it. Better not show them that Eric had a tent all to himself.

"So how much did you pay the judges?" One of the men asked as he took a grip on Eris shirt. "No way such a feminine guy could ever beat me." He growled and Eris could taste his disgusting breath.
"To me it looked like you got beaten, and it took less than a minute." Eris couldn't help but grin at the man as the words just flew out of her. She were a bit too cocky for her own good. Just as the guy were about to hit Eris someone took a grip at his arm to stop him.
"You're not allowed to fight sir." Eris brother said with a gentle smile. "You will get disqualified if the judges gets to know about it. We'll keep it a secret if you just leave."
The man left immediately.

Eris got a bit scolded for not being careful enough and then he gave her another change of clothes. She looked a bit questioning at him.
"No one has seen Eris in a while Eric. Maybe you should get her. Eric should probably disappear until tomorrow anyways, or else he may be beaten up." Her brother had a point. She walked away towards the woods and made sure no one was close by before she started to get changed again. She put on the wig that her brother had gotten her so that she would look like herself again. Then she put on the same dress she had worn earlier that day.

Jolines father would probably not want Joline to meet any of the contestants before it all was over, except for the prize the next day. So for now it was better to just talk a bit with her as Eris.

Eris soon found Joline and winked when she started to get closer. "Hey." She said with a smile. If Joline would ask where she had been she would simply say that she couldn't stand to watch some men competing for Jolines hand.

Even after meeting Eric, Joline missed her best friend Eris. This festival that was supposed to be about peace was the only way they could hang out together. She was to go to bed soon to be fresh for tomorrow. Her mother and father wanted her to look her best considering that she would be spending time with the top three men in the contest. When she thought about one of those pigs sleeping with her in her bed tomorrow night made her sick to her stomach. But when the possibility of Eric being with her she blushed a bit.

The sound of her friend's voice snapped her out of it, although she jumped slightly. Joline turned and looked at Eris, smiling a little then put on a pretend irritated look. "Where have you been all day? We barely got to say even two words to each other before you rushed off." She said, though grabbed her and pulled her into a tight hug. She had no idea why, but the smell of her was always alluring. Joline pulled away after a while. "No more hugs for today. That's your punishment." She teased, although she was more than likely to give Eris more hugs before bed.

Eris couldn't help but laugh when Joline teased her. "I'm so sorry, my father looked like he were going to kill me if I said a word so I was so afraid." She said as a joke and even pouted a bit. "But honestly speaking, when I heard that they would have a competition to get you a husband I got a bit mad and had to collect myself. I'm sorry I left like that. I know we both have to get married to someone at some point but it just seems like it has gone so fast. And I don't like that you aren't even allowed to choose yourself." She said with a disappointment in her voice.

They had both always known that they would be forced to marry a man in the future, but Eris couldn't let go it Joline would be forced together with someone she didn't know. Or someone she couldn't stand. She had to know that Joline got someone that could take care of her and deserved her. If not then she would never let go of her.

"I were selfish, I should have been there." She then said and smiled a little while putting her hand on Jolines head and brushed her gently. She wished that she could tell Joline that she had been there all the time but it was impossible without telling her that she were Eric.

"My dad wants a prince who is strong enough to keep me safe if there is a problem in their kingdom. And of course get a reliable ally if needed." She said and sighed a bit. "Just be glad your father isn't going to do this to you." Then as to lighten the mood, Joline smiled a bit wide. "Let's go raid the kitchen like we used to tonight. Our rooms are close together like they've always been. We can get our favorite foods then go out to the woods and have a picnic in our usual spot." She said happily. "I love looking at the beautiful night sky and have fun with you."

Eris smiled a little at her explanation. She knew that Jolines father wanted the best for her but instead of doing the competition they could have chosen some princes they thought were worthy of Joline and then let them get to know each other before she chose whom she wanted. That would have been a better solution than that crazy competition.

Joline was right though, Eris was lucky. Or rather, she just didn't listen to her parents, she knew how to stand up for herself. Her parents wanted to marry her away but at the same time they were afraid that she would put shame over the family, so they had never dared to present her for any other family. The most men would think badly of Eris because she tries to take the man role and never would take order from her future husband. Of course she would be forced to get marry at some point. But her parents knew that they had to find someone that could control her and at the same time Eris could accept. Not the easiest of jobs, either they really would have to force her or they would let her be unmarried for the rest of her life.

"One day even my parents will try to marry me away. I'll probably threaten them with committing suicide or running away. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to poison my husband to get out of it." She joked. "Let's go to the kitchen." She said and started to walk as she took Jolines hand.

"I can't imagine you being married off." Joline joked a bit as she held her hand while walking to the kitchen. No one was really around besides the clean up crew in the kitchen. They never told on them, but helped them get the food they wanted. "So what should we get tonight?" She asked, pulling her around the big space, looking at the stuff that the servants were starting to set out for them.

"Haha as fast as my parents finds someone that dares to try controlling me, then I will be doomed." Even though it was a serious matter Eris still joked about it. Even if her parents found someone that she could marry she would still not do it. She would rather live on the street than marry someone she didn't love and she would probably run away if they were going to force her to marry someone. But so far her parents hadn't found anyone so she didn't have to worry about it yet.

"I would love some chicken, we can make a fire and barbecue it while watching the stars." Eris was a big fan of hunting and then prepare the meat herself before eating it. Sometimes she and her brother escaped for some days from the castle and only lived on animals they had hunted together. Even though it wasn't a good behavior for a princess she still liked doing it. "Some fruit would be good too."

Joline smiled. "Chicken sounds amazing right now. It feels like I haven't ate at all today, even though I had something while watching the matches." She said, watching as the servants were getting out raw chicken for them to be able to cook up outside. There were a few times that Joline watched Eris hunt when spending time together. She used to say that if Eris cut her hair then should could pass for a boy. The possibility that Eris was actually Eric crossed her mind, but she didn't want to think about it right now. Deep down a part of her wanted her best friend be Eric. Of course she didn't know this, but that was what was keeping her from thinking too much on that matter.

"Let's bring some sweets. Like donuts!" She said happily. "It's been so long since I've had anything sweet."

Eris wasn't such a big fan of sweets, but she didn't mind eating sweet stuff if she got to see Joline smile like that. "Lets get a lot of donuts." Eris agreed with a nod and a smile. "So, what did you think about the participants? I heard that a relative of mine are competing. I think his name was Eric, I have never met him though. My brother told me about him. He told me that Eric looks a bit like him but a bit smaller and a bit brighter hair color. Do you think you saw someone like that?" Eris asked.

She already knew that Joline had met Eric, she first had thought about waiting for Joline to start to talk about Eric but she wasn't sure that Joline would do that. She mostly wanted to make sure that Joline thought that Eris was related to Eric and that would be the reason she maybe recognized him. And of course Eris would be a bit curious if she had heard that a cousin she didn't know she had was in the tournament. But it wouldn't make her curious enough to actually go to the competition just to see her best friend and beloved get taken away before her eyes.

Joline smiled, the servants already preparing them for her and getting a basket ready for them to use, waiting to hear if they wanted anything else. "Well I hate all of them... except for one. Yes I've met Eric, he's the one that I like more out of the rest. I didn't know he was your cousin." She said, looking at Eris. "Maybe that's why I like him more." She with a smile, meaning it to be a slight joke. "He looks so much like you, not your brother."

Eris looked a bit surprise when Joline said she hated all of them except for one. It was just fake though, she wasn't that surprised over it. "Let's hope he wins then." She said and then looked down in the floor as if she suddenly became a bit sad. "Too bad I can't compete. I can't stand it that an idiot may win your hand in marriage." She rose her head again and made a smile. "Now I'm sounding depressing, sorry about that." She apologized.

"Did it go well for Eric then? My brother didn't think he would get far since he don't have that much body strength." It was true, her brother had told her that she probably wouldn't get far. Even though she were very skilled she were still a girl and they were trained prince's. But he also said that if she were able to get threw the first part of the competition then she would probably win the second. But he was certain that she never would be able to make it threw the third one.

"He tied for first place with man named Elliot. I'd say he did pretty good." Joline smiled and told the servants to pack some fresh bread as well and some wine. "We might as well have a good time since in a few days I'll be married to whoever wins." She smiled, trying to be carefree around Eris. "Let's stop talking about the competition and have fun."

"Agreed." Eris said and gave Joline a smile. When they had gotten everything they would need for the picnic, Eris took the basket. "So my lady, what would you want to talk about? I have a lot of funny stories of how I have chased away people who have proposed to me." Eris said as they walked out of the kitchen and into the corridor towards the exit.

Even though most people wouldn't want to have anything to do with such an un-lady like lady like Eris there still were those who wanted a challenge. They wanted to prove that they could handle her by not running away when they visited the castle to propose to Eris, and they wanted to prove that they could tame the untamable beast. No one had succeeded so far.

Joline let out a little giggle. "I'd love to hear all of your stories Eris. They're so fun to listen to." She gave her friend a smile, linking their arms together as they walked to their favorite spot. Despite what people think about Eris being un-lady like, Joline enjoyed it. It was a nice change from all the proper ladies that her mother tried to get Joline to be friends with. Of course it never works out since Joline becomes easily bored with talking about 'events' at formal parties, listening to what those girls do for fun, etc. So having Eris around even for a day makes her mood soar for weeks. So she was overjoyed that Eris would be staying around for a few days this year. However, knowing that they may never see each other again was heart shatteringly painful to even briefly think about.

"I don't have any interesting stories, at least I don't think I do. It's been pretty much the same for me the past year. I'm just so happy that I can see you again! You have no idea how boring all these 'friends' mother tries pairing me up with every week." She let out a dramatic sigh as if it was the worst thing in the world at that moment. "If only we could have been born as sisters or at least live closer together my life wouldn't be so boring all the time. Can you imagine us being sisters? I bet you would have made me into a mini you in just a few short days." Joline smiled brightly at the thought. She was only about a year or so younger than Eris, and a tad bit shorter yet that part was still noticeable if they stood next to each other like they were now.

(I'm so sorry for taking so long > . <!--!)</html--><!--!)</html-->< !!)

"If we were sisters then I bet that our parents would have tried to keep us apart from each other so that I wouldn't influence you." Eris said jokingly and laughed a bit. She preferred them not being sisters. After all, if they had been sister then she wouldn't have been able to save Joline from the wedding at all. Even if she would have dressed up like a guy to save her sister everyone in their family would know that she looked to alike their family, and a family member wouldn't be able to compete for a family members hand. So she was pretty happy that she wasn't born in the same family as Joline.

"I have made my dad go crazy at least twenty times this year." Eris started, "the guy I remember best is Warthwood. He was really arrogant and he actually thought that I would fall for him just because he were so hot." She sad and giggled at the prince stupidity. "So I decided to play him some pranks. I sneaked into the kitchen and put chili pepper in his food, he had to drink water for three hours. But he didn't gave up." She shook her head a bit, some guys really were foolish. "Then he tried to pursue me while I were with my horse Josephine. He talked about himself a lot. I decided to teach him a lesson and scared the cat so it jumped at him. He fell into a big mud spot on the ground." Eris laughed again.

"But the idiotic arrogant prince still didn't give up. He came to my room every evening but I didn't let him in. One night though I told him that he were allowed to come in when he knocked on the door. I pretended that I already had gone to bed, I had stuffed the bed with a lot of pillows so it looked like I were laying there. I myself were lying under the bed. When he approach the bed and took off the sheet he must have gotten really surprised by all the snakes I had put there. After that he left our kingdom and dad didn't talk to me for three weeks."

It was both bothersome and funny to chase away all the men that wanted to propose to her. Sometimes she saw it as fun and sometimes she were just irritated and wanted them to leave. "I wish that they would just stop throwing guys at me."