2. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
So over here in the United Kingdom we have just had the hottest June day on record since 1976.
As a consequences the entire country is now pretty much broken. Roads are melting, train lines are buckling and a man got in the newspapers for going to work in a dress because he wasn't allowed to wear shorts.

Basically the following gif sums up most of the country.

Elmo.gif
My question is: How do you Beat the Heat?

Do you have a cunning strategy to keep cool when the mercury rises? What are the little tricks you use to stay comfortable? How do you keep your chill when the universe seems to have none?

Please

Don't make me say pretty please.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
:) We have a pool, thank the Lord! And Air conditioning :)

• Love
Reactions: Applo
I don't. Heat stroke or bust.

And by that I mean homestuck life is the life for me!

Summer Hibernation~

• Love
Reactions: Applo and junebug
I make sure I have bottles of water in my freezer at any time; throughout the day, while they melt again, I keep filling them up with regular water, which then becomes nice and cold within seconds. I find it really helps keeping cool.
I also sorta try to avoid the peak hours in terms of heat.

I don't lol
I live in Canada (Alberta) and I'm also extremely sensitive to heat. I start feeling overwhelmed at like 24 degrees Celsius. I know I'm a baby. I sleep with light blankets all year long in a cool house because I sweat like a pig at night and don't like being hot.

Anyway. A couple years back I lived in a 3rd floor apartment facing west and it was fucking abysmal. We had a stretch of days where it was almost 40C and I was miserable. My roommate borrowed a portable air conditioner from his then boyfriend's parents, but it was in his room, and it cooled down that room only. So I spent a lot of time in that room. Otherwise I just cranked up my fan and hoped I'd get more than 3 hours of sleep, because when it's that hot, fans don't do much more than blow hot air around...

Now I live in an apartment facing east, so it's much nicer. Tips I got from living in the old apartment was to open windows but keep your blinds closed so the sun doesn't bake your house. Also my parents suggested that I fill a bucket with ice and place the fan next to it, but that didn't really work. Also the ice melted in like 10 minutes. But I was just using a bag of ice from the convenience store... if you're somehow lucky enough to get your hands on a block of ice, apparently that works better.

Otherwise just drink a lot of water. Dress cool. If you have long hair, for god's sake, put your hair up.

Probably from all those explosions lately

To a certain extent you can't, it's not like the cold where you add more layers, what do you do in the heat? Peel off skin?

Best thing I can suggest is stay where there's air condition, wear a big hat, wear as little cloth as possible (that you can get away with), and drink, a lot.
Sweating may smell and feel gross, but we do it for a reason, REALLY helps with the heat.

It's 96 (F) where I live. Thing is, I don't survive the heat-- I just suffer it. Lying on the ground on top of a blanket of icecubes helps, though.

Reactions: An Otaku and Applo
I die.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dipper
If air conditioning is not an option I mist myself regularly with a spray bottle. And if I'm outside, I hide my skin from the sun.

Keep hydrated!

I avoid extremely hot days. I stay indoors and blast the AC with a tank top and shorts. Then again NY weather doesn't get that scorching but we do have heatwaves that bring the temperature up to 100(F). Avoid direct sunlight, stay in the shade or just avoid the outdoors like I do!

I travel by sewer, like the Ninja Turtles!

Also, my bedroom faces west, so the AC is on full blast whenever I'm home. It's a mobile unit connected to the window, so I can have it blowing on my balls me as soon as I get home. Really helps cool me off fast as I can.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Warm showers and lots of water. Funny thing is, I lived in Florida and could wear pants in the summertime and not be bothered. Now that I'm back up north, I feel like I'm going to melt the minute it hits 80. =/

My house has good insulation which helps a lot. The heat stays out in summer and inside in winter. We have large, powerful floor fan and we place a long, flat bowl of cool water under it. It needs to be changed now and then, depending on how hot it is, but it does cool the air the fan expels. To a small extent.

Otherwise, yeah, I don't go outside, I just sprawl in my chair and be drained from the heat.

My cold heart keeps my body cool. Plus heat doesn't bother me because I'm just a shell of a person at this point and don't feel much aside from crippling depression.

Also air conditioning helps.

Stay towards lower levels of the home. Take advantage of any natural breezes by opening doors/windows on opposite sides. Lots of water. Eat fresh fruit. Smoothies/popsicles. Keeping hair pulled back/pinned up. Lots of water. Freezing damp rags. AC.

That's how I survived Arizona at least.

If it's super hot, I usually take cold showers and then sit under/in front of a fan. Swamp coolers are also pretty lovely if you're living in a dry area.

Consider getting thermal curtains for your windows to stop the heat from reaching the interior of your home.

Drink plenty of cool and cold water. Frequently when you're inside, and just about every moment you can if you have to spend a lot of time outdoors.

If you do go outside, cover up with light fabrics that allow air to easily pass through. Trying to wear as little as possible outside is counterproductive, all you're actually doing is exposing more of your skin to direct sunlight and making yourself feel hotter (also, sunburn). In America at least stores with sporting goods sell long-sleeved fishing shirts made out of a very thin, cool material that wicks away sweat and easily allows air to flow through the material, while also having a few discreet vents to stop hot air from being trapped against your body.