Horror Movies Worth Watching

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerelin

Original poster
So, I am a chick who absolutely loves the horror genre. Books are my favorite form of "frightening entertainment", but I have been craving the feeling of dread while sitting in the dark and watching the television. Unfortunately, most horror movies are full of your basic jump-scares and boring atmosphere. The most important aspect of anything horror is the atmosphere.

I recently watched The Babadook, a 2014 Australian horror film, and I was pleasantly surprised. I knew absolutely nothing about this movie while going into it and after watching it, I have plenty of questions. That's a good thing! If a movie made me think, then it did a pretty good job. My favorite part about this film was the fact there were no jump-scares! Okay, maybe there was one... But the atmosphere and the story overshadowed that. The Babadook is also rarely shown. You see bits and pieces of the "creature" every now and then, but it really forces you to use your imagination. I like that.

That being said, I find good atmosphere and story lacking in more recent horror films. The movie Sinister scared me to death, but I was also buzzed out of my mind with beer and good pizza. I don't want to be inebriated just to enjoy a horror movie! So, this is where I come to you.

Are there any horror movies, past or present, that you believe are worth the time to watch? Feel free to give a brief summary of sorts, but please put spoilers in spoiler tags! What made the movie worth it to you? Do you agree that most horror movies are lacking in today's film industry? Let me know! :)

Reactions: Hana
the-thing-movie-poster-1982-1020268601.jpg

@Windsong: My boyfriend and I are actually planning to watch The Thing on our Sunday Movie Night! :D

The Strangers and Sinister are two of the freakiest movies I've ever seen, go watch them for sure!

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
The Apparition. It's PG-13, but it still creeped me out. Plus, it's not one of those slasher flicks that's all about gore and violence which is good for me, because I can't stand those types of movies.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Hellraiser. Start with the first and go from there.

Desperation. . . . on second thought, I don't know if that classifies as horror, suspense if anything. Still though. It's Stephen King.

The Keep.

Pulse (2006) There's one from 1988 which involves an apparition moving house to house using electrical appliances to terrorize and kill the occupants, really god damn cheesy.

But you know what the scariest god damn movie I feel I've ever seen is? Already mentioned by @Windsong of course. The Thing. Sure I've seen it plenty of times, but it's the only horror movie I've ever watched while under the influence of psilocybin mushrooms. I honestly was frozen in fear at one point as I was certain the dark room lit only by the frightening glow of the television set had been disjointed from reality and was surrounded by endless legions of deformed twisted representations of bodies taken over by the life form we only know as the Thing. I can't watch that movie proper anymore without having a flashback to being terrified beyond belief. But of course I followed that up with Hellraiser 1 & 2 and I'm pretty sure I knocked a few years off my life due to heart stress.

But enough of that.

Oh and the Shining.

You know what. Just Stephen King it. And John Carpenter. And Clive Barker. And James Cameron, specifically Aliens.

Asian horror films are scarier for me, but The Ring and Ju-On are already too well known to be a good suggestion, haha. Shutter is well known too, as well as One Missed Call (I prefer the Japanese version - damn that ringtone is scary). And the girl crawling from the t.v. really haunted my childhood ; __ ;

I don't know, there's The Eye, The Red Shoes, and A Tale of Two Sisters. There's also Whispering Corridors.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

You'd have to watch it on Youtube. That's one of the only places I found it.

It's fake and stuff, but it's just really creepy, and the stuff that happens in there actually could happen, should someone that fucked up choose to do those things.

Reactions: Peter Feels
A jewel of mine homeland.

splinter_2008_poster_01.jpg

This movie is great, and you've never heard of it before. Unless you did, then you know this is a good horror flick. Even has a whole Boyfriend/Girlfriend dynamic to it.

I recently watched Contracted (2013) and it was just great o.O Sure I didn't like everything with it, but overall it was a really good movie. It's not a particularly scary movie, it's more psychological horror. I highly recommend it.

Jessabelle (2014) was a pretty decent scary horror movie. I think for me it became slightly scarier because the main character was stuck in a wheelchair or a chair or a bed for most of the time, and if the person they relied on disappeared they would be completely doomed o.O It wasn't the best horror movie ever, but it felt like the scary moments wasn't just jump scares and actually tried to build up the tension.

6121cd2a-5f09-4eca-8086-ab89973066a3.jpg

I completely forgot about this movie! It's old school, but the movie is creepy as hell. It's been a long time since I've watched it, but I still have nightmares about it. >_< I can't remember if there's any jump scares, but I do know the whole movie will make you want to stay away from little kids for a long time.

I went into this one really excited because alien stories creep the fuck out of me, but I couldn't really get into this one. I couldn't put my figure on it, but something seemed really off.

*shivers and puts all of these horror films on her list of horror movies to watch list*

Reactions: Hana
I went into this one really excited because alien stories creep the fuck out of me, but I couldn't really get into this one. I couldn't put my figure on it, but something seemed really off.

I think it might be because it's more phycological than actually scary

I think it might be because it's more phycological than actually scary

I understood that going in, hence the excitement. I love psychological horror that makes my mind race over slasher films.

Status
Not open for further replies.