Horror Movies Worth Watching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really like gore or slasher films :/ They don't gross me out, but they don't frighten me either. It's like they're trying to compensate with too much shock value. Though Battle Royale, while not at all scary, is pretty disturbing? It's more psychological though. I liked the book better.

One Missed Call is one of those typical bullied girl goes cray cray Japanese horror movies, but it's kinda scary...?

Don't even bother touching the American version.
It's ew.

Audition by Takashi Miike is also good, but only if you don't mind gore.

Audition by Takashi Miike is also good, but only if you don't mind gore.
I haven't tried it yet, but heard of it lol.

OH OH

A horror comedy one like Pee Mak? Actually, it isn't that much horror at all :P but it's really funny

Usually Asian horror is what scares me more, though The Conjuring was pretty creepy.

I haven't tried it yet, but heard of it lol.

OH OH

A horror comedy one like Pee Mak? Actually, it isn't that much horror at all :P but it's really funny

Usually Asian horror is what scares me more, though The Conjuring was pretty creepy.
I tend to avoid horror ; ;

I tend to avoid horror ; ;
Oh, you have got to try Pee Mak. It's a Thai comedy horror film that's not all that scary, actually, and more sweet and funny though sad. It also has Mario Maurer acting so ditzy and cute > /// >

• Thank You
Reactions: Mu
Its more complete name is Pee Mak Phra Khanong, I think?

• Thank You
Reactions: Mu
Ack, you guys lost me at The Conjuring. At least no one has said Insidious, yet! Bwahaa!

Ah, I was gonna say Babadook after reading the title :P I don't watch a lot of horror movies, so I don't have any other recommendations.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Alien.

The original one.

Before it became an action series.

I would say most any Japanese horror movie, they are WAY better than any American remake.

I would say most any Japanese horror movie, they are WAY better than any American remake.
debatable. they are certainly gorier.

they really like their jump scares too. and weird anatomy.

Omen still bestest. I love Gregory Peck.

Horror movies that aren't shit?

That's a tall order right there, given the complete bollocks people tend to churn out then slap the 'Horror' label on, but I've got a couple suggestions (other than The Thing, as Windsong already mentioned: watch that shit).

Holy fuck Sam Neil looks so young in this Before he did the Resident Evil series, Paul W. S. Anderson actually managed to produce a pretty solid piece of sci-fi horror. It's not the best film I'm gonna rattle off, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it. I love the design aesthetic (SPACE SHIPS SHOULDN'T BE ALL SMOOTH AND PRETTY, DAMMIT) and the sense of foreboding it creates throughout.

Shot on a shoe-string budget by Danny Boyle and his partner-in-crime Alex Garland, 28 Days Later is one of the main films you can thank (or blame) for re-kindling the zombie apocalypse genre. Despite the low budget, it's a fucking beautiful movie; depressing yet sometimes hopeful (depending on the cut), thoughtful yet still fast-moving, and let's not forget pretty goddamn terrifying. Seriously, the infected are just that bit more scary than your standard shuffling Romero monster.

Most people don't really do body horror anymore. Luckily, the Soska Sisters aren't most people. American Mary is a curious wee slow-burner of a film, slowly ratcheting the tension up through the descent of its titular character Mary (played by an absolutely on-point Katharine Isabelle). It's ending seems rushed, but you can forgive it for the ride it takes you on getting there. Seriously, Soska Sisters? They're folks to be watching; with a good few horror flicks under their belts and a Painkiller Jane movie in the works, I reckon they're gonna be making some interesting shit in the future.

Don't be misled by the corny title and trailer: this movie is sheer fucking genius. Saying anything more than that would ruin it, however. Just, seriously. Fucking watch it, then let me know when you have so we can enthuse about how fucking great it is.

ORIGINAL AND BEST. ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES (especially ones starring Vince-fucking-Vaughn of all people).

Cos I mean, Stanley Kubrick needed to be on this list somewhere. Claustrophobic, increasingly disturbing and with Jack Nicholson doing what Jack Nicholson does best (ie. playing a fucking lunatic), this here is a modern horror masterpiece.

You cheeky scrublords can keep your Walking Dead malarkey. This right here is a proper zombie story. If you want to see where the genre really came into its own, look no further than the second (and best) entry to George Romero's 'The Dead' series.

And finally...

...we're talking great horror movies and no-one has mentioned Ridley Scott's absolute classic?

You all keep finding new and fascinating ways to disappoint me, you really do.

Horror movies that aren't shit?

That's a tall order right there, given the complete bollocks people tend to churn out then slap the 'Horror' label on, but I've got a couple suggestions (other than The Thing, as Windsong already mentioned: watch that shit).

Holy fuck Sam Neil looks so young in this Before he did the Resident Evil series, Paul W. S. Anderson actually managed to produce a pretty solid piece of sci-fi horror. It's not the best film I'm gonna rattle off, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it. I love the design aesthetic (SPACE SHIPS SHOULDN'T BE ALL SMOOTH AND PRETTY, DAMMIT) and the sense of foreboding it creates throughout.

Shot on a shoe-string budget by Danny Boyle and his partner-in-crime Alex Garland, 28 Days Later is one of the main films you can thank (or blame) for re-kindling the zombie apocalypse genre. Despite the low budget, it's a fucking beautiful movie; depressing yet sometimes hopeful (depending on the cut), thoughtful yet still fast-moving, and let's not forget pretty goddamn terrifying. Seriously, the infected are just that bit more scary than your standard shuffling Romero monster.

Most people don't really do body horror anymore. Luckily, the Soska Sisters aren't most people. American Mary is a curious wee slow-burner of a film, slowly ratcheting the tension up through the descent of its titular character Mary (played by an absolutely on-point Katharine Isabelle). It's ending seems rushed, but you can forgive it for the ride it takes you on getting there. Seriously, Soska Sisters? They're folks to be watching; with a good few horror flicks under their belts and a Painkiller Jane movie in the works, I reckon they're gonna be making some interesting shit in the future.

Don't be misled by the corny title and trailer: this movie is sheer fucking genius. Saying anything more than that would ruin it, however. Just, seriously. Fucking watch it, then let me know when you have so we can enthuse about how fucking great it is.

ORIGINAL AND BEST. ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES (especially ones starring Vince-fucking-Vaughn of all people).

Cos I mean, Stanley Kubrick needed to be on this list somewhere. Claustrophobic, increasingly disturbing and with Jack Nicholson doing what Jack Nicholson does best (ie. playing a fucking lunatic), this here is a modern horror masterpiece.

You cheeky scrublords can keep your Walking Dead malarkey. This right here is a proper zombie story. If you want to see where the genre really came into its own, look no further than the second (and best) entry to George Romero's 'The Dead' series.

And finally...

...we're talking great horror movies and no-one has mentioned Ridley Scott's absolute classic?

You all keep finding new and fascinating ways to disappoint me, you really do.
From that list, I need to see Dawn of the Dead, American Mary and Event Horizon.

And Alien was mentioned. :P

Naw, Aliens was mentioned. Which is still a great movie, but you ask me? It just doesn't do it as well as the original.

Naw, Aliens was mentioned. Which is still a great movie, but you ask me? It just doesn't do it as well as the original.
I misread, then. I could have swore the original was mentioned. Anyway, original is best. I absolutely loved watching it.

Ohhh! I love The original Night Of The Living Dead

I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT EVENT HORIZON!

Kudos to it getting mentioned.

Its like a Cthulhu spaceship.

Or a Warhammer 40K spaceship.

It was awesome.

Especially when you go frame by frame over the security footage of what happened to the original crew.

AWESOME.

Night is a damn great film. Proper subversive too, given who the main character turns out to be and then combined with the era it was shot in. But you can really trace the modern zombie movie to Dawn Of The Dead more than any of the other two (and I guess Romero's slightly more disappointing recent entries).

Lemme gather my thoughts and I can throw up some suggestions for horror films from Asia. Those guys know how to do horror a hell of a lot better than most western film-makers, you ask me.

I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT EVENT HORIZON!

Kudos to it getting mentioned.

Its like a Cthulhu spaceship.

Or a Warhammer 40K spaceship.

It was awesome.

Especially when you go frame by frame over the security footage of what happened to the original crew.

AWESOME.
Someone seems excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.