Heaven's Nova

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Almeria was far too startled by Tailor's hug to think. Here was a hyper, caring woman. This was very likely the woman Tra usually had in mind when he talked about the Reble. It was a refreshing change, even if both looked like they'd been through hell recently. While Almeria was curious as to what they ran across recently, there would be plenty of time for that.

"It's best not to keep Captain Ryan waiting," Almeria said with a slight smirk. She was getting use to the large man's ways, but she respected him and preferred not to get him going if there wasn't a need. After all she got the impression his head ended up hurting if he talked to her to long about anything but the most mundane of tasks.

"Hello Brody," she turned to the man and gave him a grin. "It's nice to get to see you again."

The discussion with Captain Ryan lasted about an hour and halfway through, Almeria and Tra were asked to join the meeting.

"It seems that Tailor and her pilot here are offering their ship's service for the foreseeable future to further out power against Namir. They think they may be able to get a few of the other rebel pilots and even some mechanics for us. They were very interested to hear about the cultists and feel our plans lie along the same course as their own."

Tra and Almeria readily accepted, Tra perhaps a bit more cautiously, not wishing to seem too eager to have Tailor around. He made certain to squeeze Almeria's hand and give her a gentle kiss once they left the meeting room. He never wanted her to doubt his love for her. He knew they would have little time for one another over the next several days, and they both needed to be ready for anything.

With the Saint fully repaired that week, it wasn't long before they and their new crew joined in a raid to bring back valuable seeds and animal embryos. It took a great deal of work to keep the base running, and once every several months, live stock and hydroponics bays needed a restock or infusion of new genes. The raid was an incredibly success, and Tra and Almeria functioned fluidly with the new team, the crew's willingness and devotion melding perfectly with the bond of saint and paragon to produce an exceptionally smooth running raid. By the time they returned to base, several of the rebels had arrived and Tra and Almeria were given a further surprise. It seemed that two of the refugees were a mechanic and doctor willing to round out the crew of the Saint. They were people Tra had met and actually hoped to get on the crew, and he was happy to have them. The young priestess, it seemed, had an affinity for animals, however, and was slightly saddened that she wouldn't be able to bring her kitten on raids.

It was two weeks after the raid when the news came. It seemed a contact in another base had come upon codes designed to get through the security of a Cathedral city Namir was scheduled to visit. It was decided that the Saint would make the run to retrieve the codes...

Almeria awoke with a start. For a moment she had no idea where she was, the world was black. Slowly her reasoning returned, it was her room that was black. The room she shared with Tra. A nightmare had awoken her. It had been a whole since she had a nightmare do that. Remembering her breathing excercises Almeria tried to relax. Today was going to be a busy day, and she wanted her wits about her. But the harder she tried the less she felt she could go to sleep

Defeated Almeria carefully slid out of the bed so she did not wake the man lying beside her. At least one of them should sleep. The dim lights of the living quarters was a welcome sight as she exited the bedroom. After a night terror, sometimes it was just nice to remember there was always another dawn. Making herself some tea Almeria curled up on the couch to look at the flight plan that was going to take them to the sister base. She really didn't need to, but she was up and she wanted to do something a little productive at least.

Tra remained in bed for a time before the rising lights woke him. Almeria was not there, but he didn't worry too much about that fact, instead going about the morning routine of showering, shaving, and dressing. Long hair was dried and tied back before he joined her in the living quarters and leaned over, kissing her lightly on the head before moving to prepare breakfast.

"So, Captain, what are your thoughts on the trip today?" The priest hesitated trying to decide upon which mug to use for tea, finally deciding on a worn blue one with a chip missing from the rim. He picked a yellow mug for Almeria, filling them and letting the tea steep before bringing it over. Food was still cooking, but perhaps he could cheer his apparently out of sorts beloved up with some mint tea. "We have a wonderful crew and a great ship, this is an easy run. What's got you so troubled, my dear one?"

Sitting carefully on the couch next to her, he placed her tea on the table, sipped from his own cup and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her near.

"That obvious?" Almeria gave a self deprecating smile. She then sighed and leaned into Tra. "I had a nightmare. I know that it's not going to all go away in an instant, and I'm sure that getting some good and important nformation that could potentially stop Namir in his tracks has got me wound up tight." Almeria closed her eyes, not finishing the thought. The nightmares always put her out of sorts until she got into the middle of the day.

"I'm looking forward to seeing this other base. I'm glad we've been asked to go on this run. I'm surprised too, not all the captains like us still." That they didn't like them was irksome, but shouldn't been worrisome. After all Almeria and Tra were basically demanding some very core changes on how people viewed the current events around them. She felt eventually they'd come around, except she didn't. It was like a scratch she couldn't reach.

Opening her eyes she looked up at Tra. "You are right though, we do have both a wonderful crew and ship. It's more then I dreamed really." And finally she smiled honestly. Sometimes it helped just to talk and refocus on the positive. "Of course you're more then I ever dreamed."

Tra chuckled, kissing her hair. He reveled in the small moments with her, exalted in time they had alone. It wasn't going to stay that way. They were going to be very busy on a crowded ship in just an hour or two and he didn't want to think about it, yet.

"You are a greater blessing than any prayer could ask for." He smiled, leaning down and kissing her softly. The timer for the food went off just as their lips met. Sighing and rolling his eyes, Tra stood and got their food. He chided himself. They really did need to discuss the run one last time.

"So tell me once more what I'm to do on this run?" He knew, but giving her the distraction might help her escape the nightmare that was sticking with her.

And so she did. The day going out went as expected. The crew had little to do but rotate to watch for any unexpected surprises on the three day journey to the sister base. Technically pirates, but there was none of the boisterous bragging and petty fights that were typical of the larger ships. They had to get along better then that because their wasn't much room to get away from each other. So they played games, chatted, and got to know each other even better. The crew was beginning to become like family. Of course even the best families had their troubles, but the relationships were all still new and it seemed everyone was more then willing to see the best in each other for now.

When they arrived on base they got their docking instructions, Almeria, who had been enjoying being with her crew, even if it meant less alone time with Tra, looked at the base as they approached with a frown. Something was bugging her, but she couldn't put her finger on it. She sat back in her chair and even bit down on one of her knuckles from her fist. "Maybe it's cabin fever," she muttered but not softly enough not to be heard by the three ores currently on the bridge.

The air was tense, and as Tra gave a few last instructions to those who would be making them ready to leave as soon as they had the information, he wondered why everyone seemed slightly out of sorts.It was almost as though people were trying to fit together, and he worried that those who had problems were keeping them bolted down. On his way back to the bridge, Tra stopped into his quarters, opening the drawer that held his things and running a hand over his robes. It was a nostalgia, a desire to be who he had been, though he knew that could never happen. Still, it wouldn't be long. Eventually, he could call himself priest again. But after so much had happened...

He arrived on the bridge moments later. The robes were left tucked in his drawer. However, the priest was not clad in his normal clothes. Every bit he wore was either the purest white or the deepest black, no colors in between. Pants and button down shirt of white, vest and boots of black. His gunbelt was a flatter black, but black nonetheless. His long hair was braided back tight. He moved to Almeria's side, watching them dock as he rested his hands on her shoulders. Something was wrong. Almeria was tense. Well, so much was riding on this moment. Still, it should go off easily.

Almeria's shoulders eased upon the touch, but she was not completely relaxed. There wasn't much time to try to relax though, docking was always touchy, no matter how easy the Saint was to handle and how routine docking was. This was a different base after all and until the ship what down did Almeria grin. Even then she wasn't relaxed. She closed her eyes and took a breath, trying to ease the tension out of her body.

"Alright everyone we're here," she made the announcement over the intercom. Only after that point did she look up at Tra. "Ready?" she asked before standing. As they exited the Saint Almeria appeared calm on the outside, only Tra could tell she was still troubled, but at least she was no longer tense. Whatever was going to happen she would be ready. And if nothing at all happened she could have a good laugh at her expense once they were alone, because Almeria had every intention of spending some extra time with Tra after today.

The landing bay looked much like the home base Almeria was use to, but the air smelled different, likely due to the small interior terraforming that had been done on that asteroid that was the base's home. Almeria was surprised when not one, but two people came in their direction. She was not surprised when one seemed to know her tall lover. "Deleshanda, you did come. Wonderful!"

Tra watched Almeria carefully. She was obviously worried about something and he knew enough to trust her intuition by now. He didn't have much time to worry, though, for they were immediately met. One of the men who approached looked familiar, a gunner and information runner Tra'd had encounters with in the past. The man was skinny, slightly hunched with a nose that had been broken many times in the past. Tra grinned broadly when the man spoke, his voice proving his identity.

"Randis! I didn't realize they would be sending you to meet us." He clapped the man on the back, nearly sending the lighter male sprawling but grabbing him to keep the other upright at the last moment. "Were you the one to be of such great aid recently?"

"Me? Nah. I do want to take some time and catch up, though. Got some information of my own that you might find useful." Randis looked nervously at Almeria, then back at Tra. "Wouldn't wanna keep ya from yer meeting, though."

Tra chuckled softly, his momentary excitement at catching up with an old friend causing him conflict. He wanted to stay with Almeria, but at the same time, this was a friendly base. She could take care of herself and additional information from a trusted source could turn out to be a very good thing.

"If the Captain permits it, I shall accompany you. Drinks, perhaps?" Tra said. How fortuitous it was to run into Randis after all this time.

A small, selfish part of Almeria wanted Tra to stay by her side. She recognized it as her irrational desire to be with Tra simply by the fact that she wanted to take his arm. Which also meant she was getting distracted from business. Tonight she could indulge any way she wished, but until then... "That sounds like an excellent idea," Almeria said with a grin, meaning it even. Any additional information they could get while on this trip would be a bonus.

"We can meet back here in two hours," Almeria couldn't imagine her own meeting taking longer then that, and if it needed to she would insist on a break. Waving Tra off Almeria followed the man that introduced himself as Jefferies, a very nondescript type of man that could blend in anywhere. Almeria didn't ask any questions as they walked along, figuring that it was best to wait until they sat at the meeting.

The interior of the base was designed very differently then her home base, taking in the natural structure of the asteroid no doubt. As they came to a door, Jefferies opened it with his hand and indicated that she walk in. Almeria did so, and was presently surprised, the meeting room had a window looking out onto the asteroid's surface. She knew at one point she was going to have to get a better look at that. The man standing looking out the window was only a secondary notice. Ameria barely noticed that Jefferies had not entered with her as she took a second step in, the door softly hissing close.

Nothing changed, there was not atmosphere shift, no cold spell, no sensation at all to alert her. The man turned around and Almeria froze. "It has taken quite a bit of time for me to arrange a meeting with you my dear, please have a seat."

The pub Randis led him to was somewhat off the beaten path, as it were. In fact, it was almost across the base from where the Saint rested in the bay. Still, Randis guaranteed that it had the best drinks on base and that the service was good and the tender a good friend. As they walked, Tra found his mind wandering to the structure of the base, how it differed from what he was used to. He'd been here once before, when he'd been new to piracy. But things had changed. Things always change.

Randis, oblivious to Tra's inner thoughts, kept up a running commentary of almost everything they passed, pointing out what was new, talking about who had come and gone, names Tra couldn't have possibly remembered from a single trip so long ago. Randis was apparently very used to giving this unsolicited tours, for his words ran out just about the time they reached the Corner Stone. Tra was unimpressed. The bar was nothing special: not a shining spot of nightlife, it didn't even have the opposing distinction of being a grimy hole in the wall. No, it was just a simple, well lit pub with a fish tank in the corner and viewscreens playing recorded sporting events on mute in the corners. This time of day, it was relatively empty, though a few die hard fans--whether of liquor or sports was anyone's guess-- clustered at the tables to watch the flickering screens.

Randis took a seat at a table just off the bar, ordering for the two of them.

"I'll have a Sunblaze. And Tra, if I remember, drinks Ion Trails."

"I'm amazed you have managed to remember after so long. I do, however, attempt not to drink alcoholic beverages anymore." Tra waved his hand as though already waving away the drink. "Just some fruit juice, please." By the time the drinks arrived, Randis was ready to get down to business.

"You remember those supply runs to K'tarik IV that the Fidelity company used to make for Bayshore Enterprises? Well, forget about them. Fidelity went under about a week ago."

"Truly? I'd heard talk about some big merger, set to make Fidelity one of the largest shipping companies in that system."

"Well, turns out that was just puff talk. There was a merger, alright. Fidelity getting bought out by Jade Comet. They're the new big boys in the shipping industry. They've got all new security routines, which is a good thing and a bad thing. Bad because they're tougher than what your boss and his boys have faced. Good because they still don't have all the kinks worked out. I can get you a recording of their movements..."

The talk continued for a moment, but a slow crawl of uneasiness was making its way up Tra's back. Something seemed... off.

"Excuse me, I am afraid I forgot something important with Almeria. Would you know where her meeting is being held? I find myself loathe to interrupt, but at the same time, I need the item in question."

Almeria did not move to sit, nor did she move backwards. Instead she looked at the man across the room from her learily. Standing before her was perhaps the only person in the universe she hated, a man who looked so ordinary yet held so much powere. "Namir!" she said the name in a soft voice.

"Come along, don't be shy. Me have must to discuss, I fear you have been horribly mislead Almeria," the Overcleric said in a kindly voice indicating the chair even as he sat himself.

Almeria's skin crawled as he said her name. She didn't realize how much seeing him would affect her. She barely had her wits about her enough to touch the little flower pin on her collar. "I doubt there is anything we need to discuss Namir, unless of course you've chosen to step down from your false position."

The Overcleric laughed. "Sweet child, you really are naive aren't you? Nothing like that is about to happen and we both know it. Now sit, I insist!"

Almeria frowned but took a step closer to the table. "Why exactly are you so eager to see me?"

"Isn't it obvious? You're a very special young woman. You represent the future in some regards, but I can't have you running around being distructive. That defeats everything."

"Distructive? Ordering the deaths of a whole order of Church guardians isn't distructive?" she took another step closer.

"Ah, see, this is what I meant about misinformation. You think they were all about the faith, but you are wrong?"

Almeria took another step closer and looked at Namir from across the table. "Wrong?"

The soft hum from the pin he wore was almost missed, but the confirmation of trouble had him sprinting down hallways. He'd waited only long enough to be given directions and then had raced off, leaving Randis at the pub. Tra cared little for anything but reaching Almeria's side. He did not draw his weapon, knowing that to do so would breach station law, but his hand was poised to do so if need be. The priest found his way more easily than he would have expected, but the need to get to her relegated what should have been wonder to a passing thought that was dismissed as being in the way.

He forced himself to remain calm, pace himself, and not exhaust his body by running full tilt. As much as he wanted, needed to reach her, he wouldn't be any good to her if he was exhausted, and he had a long way to run. It took the better part of ten minutes running to bring him to where he needed to be, and by then, he was starting to feel the burn in his muscles. He'd had no time to stretch, and he only hoped that, whatever the danger was, it would keep him moving. Stopping for even a few minutes now would limit his ability to move substantially.

The door didn't open. Of course, the meeting was private, and yet Tra found himself furious and terrified at the obstruction. The gun was out before he'd thought it through, the plasma bolt sinking into the door's workings and setting off emergency overrides, causing it to slide open with a groan of protest. At the weapon's discharge, alarms began to sound. Tra didn't care. He knew Almeria was in danger, knew something was wrong. He had to save her. He'd sworn!

He could never have expected what he encountered next. Everything seemed to slow. He recognized that his beloved was in the room, but he barely saw her. All he focus upon, could absorb the sight of, was Namir. The rules had changed. Everything was suddenly very wrong. And very real.

Almeria still hadn't sat, but her hand was on the back of the chair as she glared at Namir. How dare he try to pretend what he did was right or good. He murdered and he went against the faith! And then there was alarms as a small explosion sounded. Almeria turned, and no matter how dangerous the situation was, seeing Tra was such a great relief. Almeria knew everything would be alright!

Namir looked at the door and his pleasent expression turned ugly. Almeria, by herself, could be manipulated, molded, given enough time and patients, or so he had convinced himself, but the excommunicated priest changed everything. He was an obsticall that Namir blamed himself for having. "Tra'eve Deleshanda, you are not needed here."

Almeria raced to Tra's side, not realizing that the Overcleric was now holding up a hand, the starry universe circling around in it.

"Almeria will be coming with me." Namir announced just as Almeria reached Tra, in time to see him slowly gesture to her, and the the stars greedily racing to reach her.

Tra saw the attack before Almeria could possibly have. As she turned to look, he grabbed for her. His hands wrapped around her arms. There was no time to be gentle as he gave her an apologetic look. Everything sped then, returning to normal time for the priest. He wished for an instant that he had time to think of something to say, some way to convey his feelings. There was no time. He was moving, spinning her out of the way. Flowery words were forgotten in favor of one syllable:

"Run!"

The stars that had been rushing toward Almeria were now on track for Tra, and they blazed with a brighter, more violent light. Tra, having turned to get his beloved to safety, did not see them clearly, only by their reflection in the wall near the door. He tensed to leap and follow her. He never had the chance.

As the stars hit him, the chill of entropy ran through his body. As they ripped into his back, coming into his chest the wrong way and dancing through lungs, veins, and heart, his body cooled. He realized he was falling, that he couldn't breathe. The pain was symphonic. So much, so many ways to hurt. He realized that he'd landed on his knees only because the jolt sent the shock of pain scaling up from chill to momentary blizzard. He reasoned that he should panic, but clarity spoke that there wasn't a purpose in panic. Besides, he couldn't draw breath to scream.

As he fell forward, body crumpling to the floor tiles, he looked up at Almeria. She needed to run, to get out! He tried to shout again, but the only sound was a strained whimper, the last air escaping his throat. His back was a mess of blood, his shirt ruined. Somewhere nearby on the floor, his braid rested where it had fallen after being severed by the onslaught. What had been a spell meant to entrap her had become one of death for him. And now...

He'd done what he could. He only hoped, as the cold overwhelmed his mind, that it had been enough. Tra'eve Deleshanda's world ended. There was no more.

It happened too fast. Almeria couldn't think, only react. Tra grabbed her arms, roughly, in haste and tried to fling her away. The momentum caused her to move away from him several paces as he told her to run. She almost did, after all she trusted Tra more then anything and wouldn't dare question a panicked demand like that.

Yet it was panicked, and it was Namir, and she looked behind to see her beloved attacked by the light, taking away everything! Tra, bloodied, went to his knees and Almeria cried out one simple word, "No!"

Even with the simple syllable still in the air, she went for her gun. Almeria ripped her eyes away from Tra as he fell forward. She had to stop this! She had to try!

She didn't aim, she just fired her gun as soon as she sighted Namir again. The first shot hit his shoulder, the second went wide, and the third seemed to hit the arm of the wounded shoulder. Namir's shouts were mute to Almeria as she watched him dodge a fourth shot and run for the wall, except the wall had a door. He was going through a secret access. Almeria fired twice more before the Overcleric was out of view, then she turned back around.

"Tra," she said with a shaking voice. She could hear commotion down the hall despite the blaring alarms. People were running and yelling. "It's alright now," she stepped towards his prone form. Two steps. Three. Almeria knelt beside Tra's body as people poured into the room demanding things, so many things. She didn't look at any of them though. Her eyes were only on Tra. "Namir, he escaped." those words were for her beloved, but it caused a silence of all those there.

Touching Tra's cheek, the attack having drawn all the life and thus all the heat from Tra, Almeria could no longer hold out hope. Large tears rolled down her cheeks. "Please don't leave. Please!"

If there was hope, if there was light, if there was love in all the worlds, it paled...

The priest did not move. He did not respond to her touch, to her plea. He did not hear.

If there was hope....

He found himself in a maze of columns. They each cast a long, dark and impenetrable shadow. Common sense spoke of avoidance, that to touch those shadows was to lose himself. And so he wove his way around them, but the darkness seemed to twist, to follow him. At the center was a clearing, free of the columns. No, not columns. Trees. And in the center of that clearing, those dark shadows turned to meet one another. There was no passage through, and he paused at the edge.

If there was light...

A sudden spark of light formed, rising up from the darkness and beginning to attract more, to draw the light closer, clothing itself in sparks and fairy fire until it was the only source of light. Everything else faded.

If there was love in all the worlds...

The light was blinding, and yet Tra found he need not look away. In fact, he found that he could not avert his eyes from the starfire form before him. As he watched, the form gained shadow and substance, became more than an icon, became real. A youthful face, as old as being. Soft white hair, a benevolent smile, and bathed in unrelenting light. This was Gohdem, this was Creation.

It paled. For Light without dark is just as blinding as Dark without light, and one cannot see the true face of the gods without knowing first despair and rising to hope.

The priest hesitated. He could not find words. How was he here? He knew... he remembered dying. He was certain it had happened. Death for him had been no ambiguous event. It had been present and sure of itself. But this knowledge wasn't yet concrete. Tra found it hard to speak, found that here, before the god he so revered, words fled. Thankfully, Gohdem spoke. The silence was broken by a voice that was at once melodious and terrifying, soothing and cacophonous.

"Tra'eve Deleshanda... my child. You've found your way to me at last. I had hoped you would do so sooner, and perhaps under better circumstances."

The silence stretched for a moment. The black that pooled around Tra's feet wasn't destroying him, and in fact went unnoticed in such presence as Gohdem's. Tra sought words and found them.

"Are you not all knowing? I had thought..."

"There are the things we know and the things we Know. The paths of the world are in flux. I had hoped you might walk the path that would find you in my court more gently. Even gods can hope. We are, after all, wrought from hope. But, that is not important at the moment. Tell me, Tra'eve. Why did you avoid my shadows?"

The question shocked him, nearly sending him reeling back.

"Your shadows?! But are they not entropy? Are they not that which will devour all? Are they not death?"

In response, Gohdem's hands flashed out. In each was a sword. The right hand held a sword of shimmering starscapes, dotted with comets and galaxies. The left held a blade of utmost black, of starless night. Tra's eyes widened. Those swords, he knew them. How could he not?

"You see and hear the messages of the Gods. And yet, your humility does not allow you to see their proper meaning, priest. To be humble is to be great, but to shoulder such humility that you cannot look up for the burden, that only makes you blind." The deity slowly extended the swords. "But now, I shall explain. For we have little time together, and I must be brief."

"The swords are the Blades of Potential. Though one is full of life and the other holds none, the meaning is sung in what they WILL be." Slowly, the stars started to burst, red giants expanding, yellow suns becoming brown dwarfs. On the other blade, a tiny point of light slid into view. For a bare instant, it was the only light on the entire blade. Then, everywhere, light! An explosion of brilliance upon the tapestry of black steel. "When all lives, the only potential left is entropy. But it is necessary. Without entropy, things cannot change. However, too much too fast and the only potential is the end of things. However, once all is ended, it is not final. Potential renews. Life, energy. These are the new potential. And thus, from darkness, from the deepest depths of despair, springs life.

"This is the power you wield. The power of life. The power of new beginnings, of hope."

"And Namir wields that of destruction, death, entropy."

"No. That power can only truly be wielded by one who understands life, as the power of life can only fully be wielded by one who has died. Almeria is the true holder of the sword of Chaos, as you are the wielder of the Sword of Light. They dwell within you. Namir can only ever hope to control Almeria enough to hold the blades."

"But then, Namir's power..."

"When you realize your potential, and she her freedom. When you truly work as one, then Namir is powerless."

"I'm sorry Ostra. We should move him. Really we should get off this station. Ian will be on the ship and he will be able to do the Rites." Almeria felt the hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort her, trying to reason with her as she stayed sitting on the ground, her gun on the floor beside her as she stroked Tra's cold cheeks. Upon hearing the notion of Rites being said for Tra she shook her head. If any where to, it would be her.

But not yet!

"Tra'eve Deleshanda you hear me right now," she said as strongly as she cold without choking on a sob. "I can go alone, I always thought I would have to do this alone, but I don't want to! I only thought wistfully at a future after Namir. I never believed I would have that though. I never thought..."

Someone, several someone's was trying to protest with her, but she didn't hear them. The place they were in was not what concerned her. She was calling out to a different place, a place her heart knew even if she never had a memory of it. "It's selfish of me, and I'm sorry to even ask. In the arms of Gohdem you are, and there you will be at peace. Yet I'm asking you, even if it's a short time, come back. Not for duty, not for obligation, not for any debt or cause or burden. The living will find a means. We will find a way. I want you back, that is all. You don't have to take my hand though." Please take my hand once more!

The priest was awed. He was talking to a god, but so much didn't make sense. Gohdem was speaking as though Tra still had a part to play. And yet the priest's part was finished. There was nothing more. He dared not argue with a deity, but he did not understand.

From a great distance, he felt a gentle tug. It was there, insistent and warm, but it didn't pull him away. It was like a lover, reaching out to hold his hand, hoping he'd follow into someplace beautiful.

"You should go now, Tra'eve. It is time to live."

He could not help himself. "But I've lived. And I've died."

"You've been alive. But now... now you will live."

Tra turned, reached, took the offered hand from so far away.

The priest's body was still for many moments. No breath stirred, no bit of motion. And to those surrounding Almeria, it seemed a lost cause. The first brush of light over skin was almost imperceptible. But it was soon followed by another, then another. The light coursed over the priest's body, flooding into the wounds. There, it pooled, working softly, rebuilding soundlessly. In fact, it seemed that all sound faded from the room. The light worked for several moments, occasionally welling up and spilling over as flesh rebuilt, tissue knitted together, and skin smoothed over what had once been holes in a fallen body. And yet, the priest still did not move.

The silence held.

There! A breath! And another. With a roughened groan, the priest pushed himself up on his knees. It hurt! Oh how it hurt! He was so tired, and every bit of his insides felt like they had been overloaded with current. He awoke, not to a garden paradise, but to a conference room on a space station. It didn't matter, though. Almeria was there! Almeria! He could see her! Could touch her! Had to touch her.

He reached for her, but the sudden motion was too much and his balance on his knees precarious. The priest tipped forward, landing in Almeria's arms. Weakly, he smiled up at her.

"Almeria. You're safe." He closed his eyes, smiling and breathing deeply of the station's recycled air. There was love, and pain, and through it all, with it all, he knew he was alive. But even more, he knew he lived.