Grimm Wars: Wrath of the Horned King

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ringmaster

OOC: Weird Dream Prompted up a sudden revival and gave me the idea how to reboot this for you guys.

It had been over four days since the party had left. Four days of the tournament going through the motions, presided over by the new Queen of Arendelle. Like a flower stricken by frost, she was grace and sorrow exemplified as she presided over the knights who had come, now in honor on behalf of her family. It was enough to excite many of the common folk, despite the fear. Or at least, she was. Today, it would be her sister presiding...The Queen had taken to eschewing all visitors, within her tower. For what reasons, was yet unknown...Still, there was some excitement yet.

It was a good tournament after all. From Calormen to Agrabah, to the lands of Gondor and Rohan and many kingdoms more besides, they came and they displayed their skills. For better...

Or worst.

For the Black Knight true to his word had joined and had defeated his opponents, unhorsing them without a word of curse or mockery given. Merely a cold, brisk intent at odds with the fire he exuded. He was not here for them.

He was here for her, and time was that she would be facing him.

In other news, Prince Severus had gone missing, suspected alongside the party who went to see the trolls. The fury of Lord Bishop was a sight to behold, or so they said. But it was, what it was and there was no time to examine it closely.

Now the time had come for Black Knight and Keladry to face each other.

On the fourth day of the tournament.

Once upon a time....

It was a quiet dawn. Overcast, the red light shining and giving a disturbing look to the clouds far to the East. A foul smell wafted on the breeze and none could tell from whence it came. It was a stench like burning meat, like carrion and on its wings, the crows did fly. Some whispered it to be an ill omen, others made light of the matter.

In their tents, quietly the knights made ready their blades and shields even as one committee or the other pleaded an excuse to leave Arendelle early. Trouble was brewing.

It was on the horizon.

Outside the tents of Cardomas's company, the sound of scared men who wish they had never sworn to the courage of knighthood scurrying about echoed through the flaps of Keladry's tent. She scowled at the sound of it as her hands continued to sharpen her blade and remove any imperfections her eyes caught. Men sworn to their masters and the Lion's service, and yet they scatter and leave the duty of facing evil's agent to only a few such as I. Perhaps I will need to ensure that my own kingdom's standards do not fall so low...

Her heart held no fear for the coming clash. The agent of sin who was to be her foe was just a man, one who was a heretic and needed to be brought in line with the Aslan's will, and as a Paladin, she would have divine blessing to carry out the work needed to bring him to kneel. However, that did not mean she would not be cautious in the clash. Pride came before the fall for many of the great warriors of history, and she would not allow it to cloud her judgment. Instead, she would have it steel her will in the coming clash.

She had already sent Lady Olivia ahead to join the tragically crowned Queen in the stands as House Cardo's representative. It saddened her heart that she could not be there at the Queen's side, but their masquerade could not be revealed just yet. Not until this conflict was finished with.

Then she could reveal her true heritage.

With a nod, she sheathed her blade with an assured opinion of its craftsmanship and hung it from her belt. With that taken care of, there was only one final issue to resolve before she stepped outside. She took a knee and bowed her head, her voice barely a whisper as she prayed.

"Great Aslan, please answer my prayer today. As your sword, allow me to strike down any evils in the world so that they may not defame your glory. As your shield, allow me to protect the innocent from the evils of the world so that they may never doubt your grace. As your messenger, allow me to redeem those who are redeemable so that they may not lose your mercy. Thank you, my guardian. Amen."

Simple, clear, and precise. With that, her prayer was finished and with a final check of her armor, she was ready to step out and face the world's sins in a never-ending battle of grace. She gave a nod to the guards who had kept near the tent to ensure that no one attempted to attack her before the match.

"Return to our liege's side. I will be fine on my own."

And with that, she was off, shield strapped to her back and sword on her hip.

9253ab80ad42b3c0e314d8f95151dc78.jpg

He was waiting for her. Out on the field, no squire by his side. Atop his great horse, he could have been a statue at rest. There was a calm, quiet space before the charge and apparently he liked the silence. For his part, the black knight seemed watchful...And when the man came down from the lists and announced, the entire city it seemed would be watching.

"THE MATCH SHALL BE AS FOLLOWS! DAME KELADRY VS THE BLACK KNIGHT, TWO SHATTERED LANCES OUT OF THREE OR UNTIL THE OTHER IS UNHORSED! AT WHICH POINT, BOTH WILL TURN TO THE SWORD! ARE YOU READY?"

The Black Knight merely nodded, head turning slightly away to look to the East as though troubled.

f51efc53c231c85089890fb70a1945fb.jpg

From atop her own war stallion, the now helmed Keladry nodded in the affirmative, preferring not to speak at the moment. There was no point to flowery words or noble declarations; she had made clear her commitment and dedication simply by taking part in the challenge she had issued. In one hand, a heavy blunted lance waited for the ephemeral charge and clash of the joust, and in the other, the proud colors of red and gold were painted upon her shield in the pattern of the House Cardo's brilliant griffon and complimented the beautiful shine of her silvery plate.

His head is turned aside. Strange, worry or doubt? Most likely not, given his earlier attitude... She would not consider it important to the joust. Her aim would be to unhorse him with a blow to the chest, and nothing would change that idea. As such, she sat in confidant silence as they waited for the call to begin came while in the stands, Olivia in the disguise of the princess of Cardomas watched with concern for her friend. Though she had no doubt that Keladry could win both by Aslan's grace and by her own skill, the young lady-in-waiting could not simply end her worrying. Especially not when Prince Severus's company had not yet sent word back and now, some believed they were missing...

-------------

"A good shot sire!"

"Just physics. When you get down to it."

The mission outward to the Trolls of Arendelle had ended up a failure. The lands had become enclosed by an invading force of monstrosities and people had been lost in the chaos. Prince Severus and Lorie Fisher ended up thrown together by circumstances, with the woodcraft and magic of the latter and the knowledge- And surprisingly, skill with a cane sword of the former. When questioned, he said simply 'I'm crippled, not helpless.'

As it was, they had been the best folk possible to examine the enemy, made from what looked like ancient warriors of Arendelle and their Viking allies, long since dead and entombed in recorded history. Lories fire made short work of them and Severus managed to identify their origin simply by an examination of the armor.

Which was nothing compared to the true evil they saw.

An evil even now attempting to push to Arendelle.

Which led them to current circumstances and the presence of the man known as Kristoff. Using his transportation to head back to Arendelle, the wargs and wolves came out to chase them. Run them down and finish them off...And only held out by fire and a musket salvaged. The city walls seemed to be looming up ahead....They were almost there!

----------

Snow began to fall, light and cool as a breeze from the east came. And with a roar as the flag was dropped, the joust began. He seemed five times as large now. Monstrous and terrifying as he lowered his lance and brought up his shield. Sparks flashed from the hooves of his horse and the steam from the cold air looked almost like smoke.

From the crowd, the audience gasped and others watched on coldly...

Disgusting witchcraft...

No hesitance or fear showed in her eyes that were only visible through the slits of her hawk-like helmet. Through the falling stars of ice, her mount charged forward as she spurred it on. In both of their eyes, there was no giant whose horse's hooves seemed to be made of flint that set fire to the Earth. There was only a man, a heretic in the eyes of Aslan and the Allfater, and their task was simple.

To unhorse the man, and with her shield held high to guard her chest, Keladry struck out with that goal in mind, aiming straight for the center of the Black Knight's stomach and chest.

They were like behemoths in the night. Two fortresses of iron and power, charging forth at the other.

And then the world went white.

Keladry found herself flying, her shield arm numb and the lance shattered before hitting the ground and rolling. A ringing noise bespoke of a concussion, the scream of the crowd of mingled fear and excitement bespoke of her status.

The same people who applaud your coronation will likewise do your execution.

And then came a black, gauntlet'd hand, waiting as a feeling of heat cut through the cold and the Black Knight looked down from his position. In a rumbling tone, he spoke.

"Your form was excellent. I've age and experience myself to fall upon however and you have done well."

He waited for her to accept or deny his unspoken offer of help, afterwards stepping back as he spoke.

"Few knights face me in open combat....They are cowards, forgetting what it ever meant to be a knight. With little on your years and courage, you saw what I was and came for me regardless. You have earned all I am to bestow to you...Once you are more clear-headed to accept."

The healers rushed over, assisting as they could to help clear her head as the Black Knight followed after as they put her on a stretcher.

Where had it gone wrong? As her vision spun and swirled in flight, that was the thought that rung through her mind. Not the aching pain in her shoulder nor the sound of the traitorous crowd, but a question of why this had happened.

Had Aslan forsaken her in her moment of need? If so, why? What had she done to deserve such a dismissive attitude? She had helped to protect Severus, a fellow noble and one she was sworn to aid as both a knight and a righteous paladin. She had challenged the Black Knight to protect the innocents; was that not the proper conduct of a warrior of Aslan, to safeguard the defenseless from evil?

Wait... My name...

Just as her vision cleared, she knew what she done to disappoint her patron. Dishonesty was her sin, believing herself just in hiding her identity. Her punishment was humiliation by her foe, embarrassment before the crowd.

With a swipe of her hand, the Black Knight's offer was slapped away with a growl. As the healers approached, she pushed them away and stood on her own, head now clear and her eyes filled with anger at the man who sought to sweeten her opinion of his evil. No amount of pitying respect he showed would keep her from hating him and from speaking.

"On my name... As the true Lady Keladry, daughter of King Alfred and Queen Elizabeth of Cardomas... I will strike you down, heretic, as a Paladin of Aslan ought!"

There was a gasp from the crowd, the people shocked in turn at the sudden turn of events. And the Black Knight stared on before throwing his head back and laughing.

"Ahahahaha! So be it Kitten. Perhaps you will...But not now. When you are stronger and more experienced, seek me out where the sun sets in the West, among the great Waste where I have made my home. I will wait for you there."

He turned his back and moved to get on his horse as he added aloud to all present.

"A SCOURGE HAS COME UPON YOUI, THOUGH NOT BY MY HAND! IT RIDES FROM THE EAST AND BRINGS HORROR IN ITS WAKE! PREPARE YOURSELF! JUDGEMENT COMES! AHAHAHAHAHA!"

And spurring his horse, he left the lists and headed out.

He had what he came for.

And he was looking forward to what was to come.

It was then at that moment that a great cry came out.

"THEY RETURN!"

It seemed the scouting party was back.

---------

The gates flew open and the Black Knight charged through, riding past the sled and sending the wolves scattering in fear though they dared not go close to the walls, not now. And as they pulled in to what looked like a party, Severus felt exhaustion of four days of action present its bill, and for good reason.

His traveling cloak was torn and burr-filed. His boots were heavily scuffed, his cane had some of the varnish knocked off and the tooth marks of a wolf that had clamped its jaws down, which could have been his throat. Were it not for the expression in his eyes and the cane head, he could have been some form of road vagabond in looks now.

And then the crowd scattered and Severus pressed himself automatically into the sled at the approach of the following man.

Lord Bishop was a figure very rarely seen to displays of anger. He was well known for his cool head, ponderous behavior and general amiability.

"LION ALIVE, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU BOY?!"

He roared with the fury of a drill sargant as he reached a hand for his princes collar, lifting him up effortlessly to see his features. Continuing, he chastened him with all the force of an explosion he had been saving.

"-THRICE DAMNED HEIR, YOU COULD HAVE DIED, YOU COULD HAVE CREATED A NATIONAL INCIDENT, DID YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT ANYONE WHO WOULD HAVE-!"

He was going to be doing that for a bit.

Kristoff seemed to falter before fainting as his world went black.

-------

"Gods høre mitt rop. Mab ikke forlat meg."

Elsa cried out, watching her hands glow an eerie, eldritch blue as the room began to frost. Her artificer winced as he waved his hands.

"My lady, please! Relax...I have devised these gloves to assist you, but they are only a mere impediment for now." He reached out for them, allowing her to slip them on and seeing the magic recede, she sighed. It was there, but contained and the gnome adjusted his glasses as he spoke.

"In the meantime, I am speaking to more on this subject- Perhaps my colleagues might be able to-."

"No! No one knows!"

Queen Elsa rose up, eyes stern as she spoke.

"The people are already afraid and claim my family is cursed. I refuse to allow them any sign that such may be true!"

Attacked on all sides, shunned and feared....The smart thing to have done was to end the festivals, begin the great work to keep the kingdom secure. But instead, dazed and lost she allowed the games to go on, because its what her father would have done...Because they deserved a proper send off and not just a memory of pain. Sometimes it felt like the only one she could depend upon was her sister...And the other.

Corrin...Hans....They had proven themselves true allies. Alongside Lord Bishop and his entourage. A few others, but hardly enough to count as diplomatic victories. The Gnome scoffed quietly but nodded.

"Very well. I shall require you here every Friday then, for tests."

"Very good Master Gnome." Elsa said more calmly before giving him a regal nod. Down the tower stairs she went afterwards, in deep and nervous thought.

And as she did so, she failed to notice the faint trace of frost that formed on the metal ornaments she passed in the castle....

----------

Lord Bishop soon dragged Lorie and Severus off to a warm tent and hot food. Kristoff would be resting off his exhaustion in the same place, even as Lady Keladry in her examination would get the news. Corrin, would find herself at the match as the special guest of Anna. And thus in a position to have seen and heard everything that had occurred.

And thus, was everyone in one place for plot reasons. : |

@The Tactician @york @Schnee Corp Lawyer

Last edited by a moderator:
On occasion, when the sky was clear and the grass soft as she sat outside and read, or when the braziers were roaring in Hoshido's great hall for a feast as friend and family laughed and ate, Corrin thought that she would be happy to never pick up her sword again and just enjoy a life of peace. It was a soothing thought, doubly so with all the lives lost and hardships that war had brought her.

But sitting here and watching two knights in their prime go at it, she remembered just how exciting it could be. One of her feet was bouncing the whole time as she watched, and poor Anna got an earful about every hit and tactic that the riders tried after every tilt. Peace may have been preferable, but moments like this made it hard to forget how well she'd thrived on the battlefield herself. And how less often she was forced to wear shoes. But when it was time for Keladry and The Black Knight's match, she fell silent and gripped the arms of her chair to keep her foot in place and immobile. This was different. This wasn't for fun, and she just had a bad feeling about what was going to follow no matter who won.

It was a feeling that was soon validated. She'd winced in empathy as Keladry had the full force of a lance crash into her, and the warning that followed... She glanced over to Anna, and after a few seconds finally said "... So... what's east of here?"

Hey. She'd studied before her trip to Arendelle, but it wasn't like she had a map in her head at all times.

@Ringmaster

It was a feeling that was soon validated. She'd winced in empathy as Keladry had the full force of a lance crash into her, and the warning that followed... She glanced over to Anna, and after a few seconds finally said "... So... what's east of here?"

Hey. She'd studied before her trip to Arendelle, but it wasn't like she had a map in her head at all times.
"....Its a saying. Just a bit of doggerel and fireside stories. But it lingers nonetheless. East lies the Dwarven Kingdoms....And the realm of Angmar. A land of evil repute, a creation of the Land of Shadows." She hesitated to name it, looking at Corrin as she spoke.

"....You've heard of that land though, yes? Where the shadows lie."

Getting up, she led Corrin over to where the scouts were currently resting.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer

OOC: Weird Dream Prompted up a sudden revival and gave me the idea how to reboot this for you guys.

It had been over four days since the party had left. Four days of the tournament going through the motions, presided over by the new Queen of Arendelle. Like a flower stricken by frost, she was grace and sorrow exemplified as she presided over the knights who had come, now in honor on behalf of her family. It was enough to excite many of the common folk, despite the fear. Or at least, she was. Today, it would be her sister presiding...The Queen had taken to eschewing all visitors, within her tower. For what reasons, was yet unknown...Still, there was some excitement yet.

It was a good tournament after all. From Calormen to Agrabah, to the lands of Gondor and Rohan and many kingdoms more besides, they came and they displayed their skills. For better...

Or worst.

For the Black Knight true to his word had joined and had defeated his opponents, unhorsing them without a word of curse or mockery given. Merely a cold, brisk intent at odds with the fire he exuded. He was not here for them.

In other news, Prince Severus had gone missing, suspected alongside the party who went to see the trolls. The fury of Lord Bishop was a sight to behold, or so they said. But it was, what it was and there was no time to examine it closely.

Once upon a time....

It was a quiet dawn. Overcast, the red light shining and giving a disturbing look to the clouds far to the East. A foul smell wafted on the breeze and none could tell from whence it came. It was a stench like burning meat, like carrion and on its wings, the crows did fly. Some whispered it to be an ill omen, others made light of the matter.

In their tents, quietly the knights made ready their blades and shields even as one committee or the other pleaded an excuse to leave Arendelle early. Trouble was brewing.

It was on the horizon.

Outside the tents of Cardomas's company, the sound of scared men who wish they had never sworn to the courage of knighthood scurrying about echoed through the flaps of Keladry's tent. She scowled at the sound of it as her hands continued to sharpen her blade and remove any imperfections her eyes caught. Men sworn to their masters and the Lion's service, and yet they scatter and leave the duty of facing evil's agent to only a few such as I. Perhaps I will need to ensure that my own kingdom's standards do not fall so low...

Her heart held no fear for the coming clash. The agent of sin who was to be her foe was just a man, one who was a heretic and needed to be brought in line with the Aslan's will, and as a Paladin, she would have divine blessing to carry out the work needed to bring him to kneel. However, that did not mean she would not be cautious in the clash. Pride came before the fall for many of the great warriors of history, and she would not allow it to cloud her judgment. Instead, she would have it steel her will in the coming clash.

She had already sent Lady Olivia ahead to join the tragically crowned Queen in the stands as House Cardo's representative. It saddened her heart that she could not be there at the Queen's side, but their masquerade could not be revealed just yet. Not until this conflict was finished with.

With a nod, she sheathed her blade with an assured opinion of its craftsmanship and hung it from her belt. With that taken care of, there was only one final issue to resolve before she stepped outside. She took a knee and bowed her head, her voice barely a whisper as she prayed.

"Great Aslan, please answer my prayer today. As your sword, allow me to strike down any evils in the world so that they may not defame your glory. As your shield, allow me to protect the innocent from the evils of the world so that they may never doubt your grace. As your messenger, allow me to redeem those who are redeemable so that they may not lose your mercy. Thank you, my guardian. Amen."

Simple, clear, and precise. With that, her prayer was finished and with a final check of her armor, she was ready to step out and face the world's sins in a never-ending battle of grace. She gave a nod to the guards who had kept near the tent to ensure that no one attempted to attack her before the match.

He was waiting for her. Out on the field, no squire by his side. Atop his great horse, he could have been a statue at rest. There was a calm, quiet space before the charge and apparently he liked the silence. For his part, the black knight seemed watchful...And when the man came down from the lists and announced, the entire city it seemed would be watching.

"THE MATCH SHALL BE AS FOLLOWS! DAME KELADRY VS THE BLACK KNIGHT, TWO SHATTERED LANCES OUT OF THREE OR UNTIL THE OTHER IS UNHORSED! AT WHICH POINT, BOTH WILL TURN TO THE SWORD! ARE YOU READY?"

The Black Knight merely nodded, head turning slightly away to look to the East as though troubled.

From atop her own war stallion, the now helmed Keladry nodded in the affirmative, preferring not to speak at the moment. There was no point to flowery words or noble declarations; she had made clear her commitment and dedication simply by taking part in the challenge she had issued. In one hand, a heavy blunted lance waited for the ephemeral charge and clash of the joust, and in the other, the proud colors of red and gold were painted upon her shield in the pattern of the House Cardo's brilliant griffon and complimented the beautiful shine of her silvery plate.

His head is turned aside. Strange, worry or doubt? Most likely not, given his earlier attitude... She would not consider it important to the joust. Her aim would be to unhorse him with a blow to the chest, and nothing would change that idea. As such, she sat in confidant silence as they waited for the call to begin came while in the stands, Olivia in the disguise of the princess of Cardomas watched with concern for her friend. Though she had no doubt that Keladry could win both by Aslan's grace and by her own skill, the young lady-in-waiting could not simply end her worrying. Especially not when Prince Severus's company had not yet sent word back and now, some believed they were missing...

-------------

"A good shot sire!"

The mission outward to the Trolls of Arendelle had ended up a failure. The lands had become enclosed by an invading force of monstrosities and people had been lost in the chaos. Prince Severus and Lorie Fisher ended up thrown together by circumstances, with the woodcraft and magic of the latter and the knowledge- And surprisingly, skill with a cane sword of the former. When questioned, he said simply 'I'm crippled, not helpless.'

As it was, they had been the best folk possible to examine the enemy, made from what looked like ancient warriors of Arendelle and their Viking allies, long since dead and entombed in recorded history. Lories fire made short work of them and Severus managed to identify their origin simply by an examination of the armor.

Which led them to current circumstances and the presence of the man known as Kristoff. Using his transportation to head back to Arendelle, the wargs and wolves came out to chase them. Run them down and finish them off...And only held out by fire and a musket salvaged. The city walls seemed to be looming up ahead....They were almost there!

----------

Snow began to fall, light and cool as a breeze from the east came. And with a roar as the flag was dropped, the joust began. He seemed five times as large now. Monstrous and terrifying as he lowered his lance and brought up his shield. Sparks flashed from the hooves of his horse and the steam from the cold air looked almost like smoke.

Disgusting witchcraft...

No hesitance or fear showed in her eyes that were only visible through the slits of her hawk-like helmet. Through the falling stars of ice, her mount charged forward as she spurred it on. In both of their eyes, there was no giant whose horse's hooves seemed to be made of flint that set fire to the Earth. There was only a man, a heretic in the eyes of Aslan and the Allfater, and their task was simple.

To unhorse the man, and with her shield held high to guard her chest, Keladry struck out with that goal in mind, aiming straight for the center of the Black Knight's stomach and chest.

They were like behemoths in the night. Two fortresses of iron and power, charging forth at the other.

Keladry found herself flying, her shield arm numb and the lance shattered before hitting the ground and rolling. A ringing noise bespoke of a concussion, the scream of the crowd of mingled fear and excitement bespoke of her status.

And then came a black, gauntlet'd hand, waiting as a feeling of heat cut through the cold and the Black Knight looked down from his position. In a rumbling tone, he spoke.

"Your form was excellent. I've age and experience myself to fall upon however and you have done well."

He waited for her to accept or deny his unspoken offer of help, afterwards stepping back as he spoke.

"Few knights face me in open combat....They are cowards, forgetting what it ever meant to be a knight. With little on your years and courage, you saw what I was and came for me regardless. You have earned all I am to bestow to you...Once you are more clear-headed to accept."

The healers rushed over, assisting as they could to help clear her head as the Black Knight followed after as they put her on a stretcher.

Where had it gone wrong? As her vision spun and swirled in flight, that was the thought that rung through her mind. Not the aching pain in her shoulder nor the sound of the traitorous crowd, but a question of why this had happened.

Had Aslan forsaken her in her moment of need? If so, why? What had she done to deserve such a dismissive attitude? She had helped to protect Severus, a fellow noble and one she was sworn to aid as both a knight and a righteous paladin. She had challenged the Black Knight to protect the innocents; was that not the proper conduct of a warrior of Aslan, to safeguard the defenseless from evil?

Wait... My name...

Just as her vision cleared, she knew what she done to disappoint her patron. Dishonesty was her sin, believing herself just in hiding her identity. Her punishment was humiliation by her foe, embarrassment before the crowd.

With a swipe of her hand, the Black Knight's offer was slapped away with a growl. As the healers approached, she pushed them away and stood on her own, head now clear and her eyes filled with anger at the man who sought to sweeten her opinion of his evil. No amount of pitying respect he showed would keep her from hating him and from speaking.

"On my name... As the true Lady Keladry, daughter of King Alfred and Queen Elizabeth of Cardomas... I will strike you down, heretic, as a Paladin of Aslan ought!"

There was a gasp from the crowd, the people shocked in turn at the sudden turn of events. And the Black Knight stared on before throwing his head back and laughing.

"Ahahahaha! So be it Kitten. Perhaps you will...But not now. When you are stronger and more experienced, seek me out where the sun sets in the West, among the great Waste where I have made my home. I will wait for you there."

He turned his back and moved to get on his horse as he added aloud to all present.

"A SCOURGE HAS COME UPON YOUI, THOUGH NOT BY MY HAND! IT RIDES FROM THE EAST AND BRINGS HORROR IN ITS WAKE! PREPARE YOURSELF! JUDGEMENT COMES! AHAHAHAHAHA!"

He had what he came for.

"THEY RETURN!"

---------

The gates flew open and the Black Knight charged through, riding past the sled and sending the wolves scattering in fear though they dared not go close to the walls, not now. And as they pulled in to what looked like a party, Severus felt exhaustion of four days of action present its bill, and for good reason.

His traveling cloak was torn and burr-filed. His boots were heavily scuffed, his cane had some of the varnish knocked off and the tooth marks of a wolf that had clamped its jaws down, which could have been his throat. Were it not for the expression in his eyes and the cane head, he could have been some form of road vagabond in looks now.

And then the crowd scattered and Severus pressed himself automatically into the sled at the approach of the following man.

Lord Bishop was a figure very rarely seen to displays of anger. He was well known for his cool head, ponderous behavior and general amiability.

He roared with the fury of a drill sargant as he reached a hand for his princes collar, lifting him up effortlessly to see his features. Continuing, he chastened him with all the force of an explosion he had been saving.

"-THRICE DAMNED HEIR, YOU COULD HAVE DIED, YOU COULD HAVE CREATED A NATIONAL INCIDENT, DID YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT ANYONE WHO WOULD HAVE-!"

-------

Elsa cried out, watching her hands glow an eerie, eldritch blue as the room began to frost. Her artificer winced as he waved his hands.

"My lady, please! Relax...I have devised these gloves to assist you, but they are only a mere impediment for now." He reached out for them, allowing her to slip them on and seeing the magic recede, she sighed. It was there, but contained and the gnome adjusted his glasses as he spoke.

"In the meantime, I am speaking to more on this subject- Perhaps my colleagues might be able to-."

"No! No one knows!"

"The people are already afraid and claim my family is cursed. I refuse to allow them any sign that such may be true!"

Attacked on all sides, shunned and feared....The smart thing to have done was to end the festivals, begin the great work to keep the kingdom secure. But instead, dazed and lost she allowed the games to go on, because its what her father would have done...Because they deserved a proper send off and not just a memory of pain. Sometimes it felt like the only one she could depend upon was her sister...And the other.

Corrin...Hans....They had proven themselves true allies. Alongside Lord Bishop and his entourage. A few others, but hardly enough to count as diplomatic victories. The Gnome scoffed quietly but nodded.

"Very good Master Gnome." Elsa said more calmly before giving him a regal nod. Down the tower stairs she went afterwards, in deep and nervous thought.

And as she did so, she failed to notice the faint trace of frost that formed on the metal ornaments she passed in the castle....

----------

Lord Bishop soon dragged Lorie and Severus off to a warm tent and hot food. Kristoff would be resting off his exhaustion in the same place, even as Lady Keladry in her examination would get the news. Corrin, would find herself at the match as the special guest of Anna. And thus in a position to have seen and heard everything that had occurred.

"Keladry, are you well? I saw how th-"

"Do not mention him to me, Olivia. I do not have the patience to speak of him."

No armor adorned the true heir as she and her closest confidante walked side by side to the tent where Severus and Lorie rested. No blade or sheathe hung from her belt as they walked with, and the shield of her family's crest was gone. The woman seemed to be without any weaponry at all or fanciful regalia, dressed only in a linen shirt and a pair of trousers that seemed more fit upon the body of a peasant. It cut a striking contrast to Ophelia's warm pink ensemble that invited compliments on her womanly nature.

Keladry planned to keep her word, and her word was that she would not carry arms for a year. Her shield also waited for the Black Knight to return and take it.

"Besides, I have taken much heavier blows in the past. Let us put an end to this discussion, Olive..."

"Always so stubborn, Keladry... At times, I consider how no one can understand why your father granted your request in the past when you're so ornery at moments like these..."

With a sigh and an insult that Keladry would only allow her to say, the handmaiden revealed to be without the blood of Cardo allowed the conversation to be cut at that point. The duo finally reached the tent that Severus waited within, and the two of them stepped within it, no longer willing to hide their true identities from the prince if asked.

"A good day to you, Prince Severus, Lady Lorie." "I see you managed to keep your head, Severus, Lady Lorie."

@Ringmaster @york

Or worst.

Once upon a time....

It was on the horizon.

-------------

"A good shot sire!"

----------

Disgusting witchcraft...

Wait... My name...

He had what he came for.

"THEY RETURN!"

---------

-------

"No! No one knows!"

----------

No armor adorned the true heir as she and her closest confidante walked side by side to the tent where Severus and Lorie rested. No blade or sheathe hung from her belt as they walked with, and the shield of her family's crest was gone. The woman seemed to be without any weaponry at all or fanciful regalia, dressed only in a linen shirt and a pair of trousers that seemed more fit upon the body of a peasant. It cut a striking contrast to Ophelia's warm pink ensemble that invited compliments on her womanly nature.

Keladry planned to keep her word, and her word was that she would not carry arms for a year. Her shield also waited for the Black Knight to return and take it.

"Besides, I have taken much heavier blows in the past. Let us put an end to this discussion, Olive..."

"Always so stubborn, Keladry... At times, I consider how no one can understand why your father granted your request in the past when you're so ornery at moments like these..."

With a sigh and an insult that Keladry would only allow her to say, the handmaiden revealed to be without the blood of Cardo allowed the conversation to be cut at that point. The duo finally reached the tent that Severus waited within, and the two of them stepped within it, no longer willing to hide their true identities from the prince if asked.

"A good day to you, Prince Severus, Lady Lorie." "I see you managed to keep your head, Severus, Lady Lorie."

@Ringmaster @york

Lorie Fisher
@The Tactician @Ringmaster @Schnee Corp Lawyer

A glint of a blade... A torrent of flames.

What was supposed to be a low profile journey quickly became an fierce ambush, one that had been made short work of thanks to her fire... And Severus's blade. They were bodies of ancient, fallen warriors, both of Arandelle and their viking allies.

Something was amiss, something horrible.

The rest was a bit of a blur, but she could remember riding on Kristoff's sleigh, hurrying towards the kingdom, in a desperate race against a horrid army, heading towards Arandelle.

Once they had reached the kingdom, the gates had burst open, and multiple people, including Lord Bishop and the Black Knight descended on them.

Bishop had lifted up Severus abruptly and began shouting at him... His words were a bit lost on Lorie was she covered her ears with her hands in order to keep her hearing intact.

Sooner or later, though her head throbbed a bit, she was here, in a warm tent, drinking from a lone, wodden cup, filled with herbal tea.

Though Lorie was most definitely hungry, she didn't make a move for any of the food, not even a little loaf of bread.

Instead, she was trying to get her thoughts together.

It was only when Keladry, and her handmaiden spoke up that she finally snapped out of her thoughts, blinking a few times before she spoke, apparently having been distracted with her thoughts not until now.

"... A great evil is coming..." She said quietly.

If it weren't for that fearfull expression on her face, one would almost think she had gone mad or something during her journey. They had been ambushed, by corpses no less, but it was what they had seen trying to make its way to Arandelle that had drove them here... Though she was still struggling to remember all the details of what she had saw.

The duo finally reached the tent that Severus waited within, and the two of them stepped within it, no longer willing to hide their true identities from the prince if asked.

There was a beauty to Kel that was so starkly different from Ivonne, that the prince could acknowledge humbly. Simple as her clothing was, there was no mistaking her for anything other then the princess she was, even without the prior knowledge Severus had obtained. As to the other, Severus had been charmed since their first meeting... Though he wasn't the best of guests at the time. But that could wait, there was obviously a story here.

If it weren't for that fearfull expression on her face, one would almost think she had gone mad or something during her journey. They had been ambushed, by corpses no less, but it was what they had seen trying to make its way to Arandelle that had drove them here... Though she was still struggling to remember all the details of what she had saw.
On both sides. Severus grimaced before saying quietly.

"To the North we traveled, to see the rock trolls...A unique group of faeries known for their wisdom in this land. We were ambushed by monsters and only scarcely managed to evade, but they all bore the same token. A stag tooth, around the neck. Besides that, the dead had risen from their tombs from the battlefields of old...All led by the same creature we all saw. A monster with a crown of stag horns who commands them."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @The Tactician @york

"....Its a saying. Just a bit of doggerel and fireside stories. But it lingers nonetheless. East lies the Dwarven Kingdoms....And the realm of Angmar. A land of evil repute, a creation of the Land of Shadows." She hesitated to name it, looking at Corrin as she spoke.

"....You've heard of that land though, yes? Where the shadows lie."

Getting up, she led Corrin over to where the scouts were currently resting.

@Schnee Corp Lawyer
"...Yeeeeess." Corrin said slowly with a small frown and pursed lips. "I think it only came up once in my studies. Something about a kingdom that was a staging ground for some other kingdom's war. Sorry, most of my history knowledge comes from the other continent" she said while she rubbed the back of her head as they entered the tent​

@Ringmaster @york
"Dame kel-er, Lady Keladry!" Corrin's eyes lit up at the same time her frown shifted to concerned as she saw the other two enter the tent from the other entrance. "I'm so sorry about your joust, are you ok? You looked like you were set up so well too, form was excellent. I have a friend who's a knight and... err, not important. Your form was great, and you... can't win them all, right?" She tried to offer.​

Lorie Fisher
@The Tactician @Ringmaster @Schnee Corp Lawyer

A glint of a blade... A torrent of flames.

What was supposed to be a low profile journey quickly became an fierce ambush, one that had been made short work of thanks to her fire... And Severus's blade. They were bodies of ancient, fallen warriors, both of Arandelle and their viking allies.

Something was amiss, something horrible.

The rest was a bit of a blur, but she could remember riding on Kristoff's sleigh, hurrying towards the kingdom, in a desperate race against a horrid army, heading towards Arandelle.

Once they had reached the kingdom, the gates had burst open, and multiple people, including Lord Bishop and the Black Knight descended on them.

Bishop had lifted up Severus abruptly and began shouting at him... His words were a bit lost on Lorie was she covered her ears with her hands in order to keep her hearing intact.

Sooner or later, though her head throbbed a bit, she was here, in a warm tent, drinking from a lone, wodden cup, filled with herbal tea.

Though Lorie was most definitely hungry, she didn't make a move for any of the food, not even a little loaf of bread.

Instead, she was trying to get her thoughts together.

It was only when Keladry, and her handmaiden spoke up that she finally snapped out of her thoughts, blinking a few times before she spoke, apparently having been distracted with her thoughts not until now.

There was a beauty to Kel that was so starkly different from Ivonne, that the prince could acknowledge humbly. Simple as her clothing was, there was no mistaking her for anything other then the princess she was, even without the prior knowledge Severus had obtained. As to the other, Severus had been charmed since their first meeting... Though he wasn't the best of guests at the time. But that could wait, there was obviously a story here.

"To the North we traveled, to see the rock trolls...A unique group of faeries known for their wisdom in this land. We were ambushed by monsters and only scarcely managed to evade, but they all bore the same token. A stag tooth, around the neck. Besides that, the dead had risen from their tombs from the battlefields of old...All led by the same creature we all saw. A monster with a crown of stag horns who commands them."

"..."

Corrin had a sense of energetic curiosity to her even while she was consoling someone or doing her best not to forget those hours of cramming she did when she was assigned this trip. But at the mention of the dead used as weapons, her eyes sharpened slightly and her frown hardened. It was a disgusting practice, and one her enemies in the war had put to vicious and effective use in the war back home. "Battlefields? as in multiple? Because if I'm remembering my history right, there's been a lot of those in this part of the world over the years. Is there an army of dead just outside the kingdom?

"...Yeeeeess." Corrin said slowly with a small frown and pursed lips. "I think it only came up once in my studies. Something about a kingdom that was a staging ground for some other kingdom's war. Sorry, most of my history knowledge comes from the other continent" she said while she rubbed the back of her head as they entered the tent​

"Dame kel-er, Lady Keladry!" Corrin's eyes lit up at the same time her frown shifted to concerned as she saw the other two enter the tent from the other entrance. "I'm so sorry about your joust, are you ok? You looked like you were set up so well too, form was excellent. I have a friend who's a knight and... err, not important. Your form was great, and you... can't win them all, right?" She tried to offer.​

"..."

Corrin had a sense of energetic curiosity to her even while she was consoling someone or doing her best not to forget those hours of cramming she did when she was assigned this trip. But at the mention of the dead used as weapons, her eyes sharpened slightly and her frown hardened. It was a disgusting practice, and one her enemies in the war had put to vicious and effective use in the war back home. "Battlefields? as in multiple? Because if I'm remembering my history right, there's been a lot of those in this part of the world over the years. Is there an army of dead just outside the kingdom?
"I am fine, Lady Corrin. I would like not to think of that joust any longer."

Olivia sighed as Keladry proved unwilling to accept the offered consolation. Then again, she was never one to accept pity in any form... "What my lady means to say is that she is thankful for your concern, Lady Corrin, but she prefers to consider her mistakes in private quarters. It is a part of her routine as a knight to reflect on her actions in order to remain humble and ever dedicated to the pursuit of justice and righteousness," The lady-in-waiting offered with a slight bow of her body as the knight-heiress nodded in agreement with he. However, that was not all she wished to say, though the next part came with a slight bit of hesitation.

"As well... Both my lady and I wish to apologize for our early deception to you both as to our true identities. However, my lady prefers to normally not have the title of scion tied to her honor as a knight as she believes it causes others to stumble in their treatment of her as an equal warrior. As such, we maintained our false names not out of malice intent, but simply to ensure that others outside of this tent would provide my lady with the respect she desires as a knight, not with the worship she detests as royalty."

Unlike before, it was not Olivia who bowed, but instead, her mistress was the one who showed submission, To a much greater degree, her head lowered to both of her fellow scions, the usually stoic expression expressing a slight pang of regret for her actions as she spoke.

"I ask that you both forgive me for my wickedness in deceiving you and the royalty and common folk of Arrendelle."

And with that, the apology was over as she returned to a upright and proud stance, crossing her arms as Severus spoke. Olivia listened with rapt attention and gasped at the description of the creature who led the monsters who had attacked their party, but she had nothing to say as she had never heard of such a being. Keladry, on the other hand, thought for a few moments before thinking of a possible solution to discovering the being's identity.

"A strange omen... To see a being who wears the crown of a dear's antlers, and to see it command such dark creatures... While I am not certain of its identity, I have an idea of who we might speak to learn of it. Chief Grishnu would know of these sort of these things quite well, given his clan's tradition of oral legends that talk of such things."

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @Ringmaster @york

"..."

Olivia sighed as Keladry proved unwilling to accept the offered consolation. Then again, she was never one to accept pity in any form... "What my lady means to say is that she is thankful for your concern, Lady Corrin, but she prefers to consider her mistakes in private quarters. It is a part of her routine as a knight to reflect on her actions in order to remain humble and ever dedicated to the pursuit of justice and righteousness," The lady-in-waiting offered with a slight bow of her body as the knight-heiress nodded in agreement with he. However, that was not all she wished to say, though the next part came with a slight bit of hesitation.

"As well... Both my lady and I wish to apologize for our early deception to you both as to our true identities. However, my lady prefers to normally not have the title of scion tied to her honor as a knight as she believes it causes others to stumble in their treatment of her as an equal warrior. As such, we maintained our false names not out of malice intent, but simply to ensure that others outside of this tent would provide my lady with the respect she desires as a knight, not with the worship she detests as royalty."

Unlike before, it was not Olivia who bowed, but instead, her mistress was the one who showed submission, To a much greater degree, her head lowered to both of her fellow scions, the usually stoic expression expressing a slight pang of regret for her actions as she spoke.

"I ask that you both forgive me for my wickedness in deceiving you and the royalty and common folk of Arrendelle."

And with that, the apology was over as she returned to a upright and proud stance, crossing her arms as Severus spoke. Olivia listened with rapt attention and gasped at the description of the creature who led the monsters who had attacked their party, but she had nothing to say as she had never heard of such a being. Keladry, on the other hand, thought for a few moments before thinking of a possible solution to discovering the being's identity.

"A strange omen... To see a being who wears the crown of a dear's antlers, and to see it command such dark creatures... While I am not certain of its identity, I have an idea of who we might speak to learn of it. Chief Grishnu would know of these sort of these things quite well, given his clan's tradition of oral legends that talk of such things."

Lorie Fisher
@Schnee Corp Lawyer @Ringmaster @The Tactician

Lorie seemed to acknowledge what both Keladry and Olivia said quietly... She had suspected that Keladry was more than she lead on as she spent more and more time around her in the kingdom. In either case, she had little time to worry about that sort of thing, finishing the last of her tea with a few tentative sips, she stoopd up, and palmed a loaf of bread, for later.

Though she didn't feel particularly hungry now, she recognized that she would probably have to eat sooner or later, so the least she could do was save something for when that time comes. Until then though, she seemed to agree with Keladry's reasoning at the moment.

"Then, we should go. Soon." She said.

Of course, Lorie was still soft spoken, but there was a distinct sense of duty in her voice. It was very likely she was spurred on by the fact that the creature was likely leading its armies towards Arandelle, even as they speak, and it would only be a matter of time, before they descended upon the city's gates.​

"..."

Lorie Fisher
@Schnee Corp Lawyer @Ringmaster @The Tactician

Lorie seemed to acknowledge what both Keladry and Olivia said quietly... She had suspected that Keladry was more than she lead on as she spent more and more time around her in the kingdom. In either case, she had little time to worry about that sort of thing, finishing the last of her tea with a few tentative sips, she stoopd up, and palmed a loaf of bread, for later.

Though she didn't feel particularly hungry now, she recognized that she would probably have to eat sooner or later, so the least she could do was save something for when that time comes. Until then though, she seemed to agree with Keladry's reasoning at the moment.

"Then, we should go. Soon." She said.

Of course, Lorie was still soft spoken, but there was a distinct sense of duty in her voice. It was very likely she was spurred on by the fact that the creature was likely leading its armies towards Arandelle, even as they speak, and it would only be a matter of time, before they descended upon the city's gates.​
To Corrin, Severus said one word rife with portent and a future of blood and steel. His expression haunted, and his jaw clenched.

"Yes. They're coming now."

It was enough to fill the tent. A moment later, Bishop nodded once and turned to leave immediately to prepare for the attack. Severus frowned in thought before adding quietly.

"There's still much that doesn't make sense despite it, but that's something for another time."

He leaned back and sighed out.

"What must we do?"

@Schnee Corp Lawyer @york @The Tactician

Status
Not open for further replies.