Great TV shows and anime? (Possibly manga as well?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitty

Original poster
Gonna make it short and sweet, I've run out of things to watch. We all know life is about distractions, so... Any recommendations?
I've seen Orange is the New Black, New Girl, Supernatural, Black Butler (And the II), Death note, Durarara!, Baccano!, and a ton of others it'd take me forever to list. These are the newest though. I also really love the heart/clover/joker no KUNI no Alice series manga, as well as black butler and Death note, if you guys have any recommendations on those.
I like to stay away from really heavy horror and gore.
:P Thanks.

Ummm. Here are a few off the top of my head.

Anime:
Phantom: Requiem of Phantom
Darker Than Black
Soul Eater
Zetsuen no Tempest
Fairy Tail >.>
Shingeki No Kyojin
Space Dandy (for comedy :3)

I know more that is all I can think of at the moment.

Reactions: DarkestShadow
  • Wakfu (French anime, really adorable, and quirky)
  • Log Horizon (Like Sword Art Online, but not total crap)
  • Paranoia Agent (Psychological thriller)
  • Outlaw Star (Sci-Fi, Action)
  • Cowboy Bebop (A must see)
  • Hellsing (OVA preferably)

• For manga:
  • Dragonball (Classic, always relevant)
  • Any anime. If you see an anime that looks good, the manga is almost always better.

I could recommend some things, but my tastes are mostly giant robots, scifi, and other odd stuff.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (and sequels)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Gargantia on the Verduous Planet
Knights of Sidonia (the anime's all-CG; the manga's also quite good.)
Tekkaman Blade
Steins;Gate
Senki Zesshou Symphogear
Busou Shinki
Selector Infected WIXOSS

For Western TV shows...I don't really watch any, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend either version of Cosmos.

Hellsing, Shakugan no Shana (but ignore the third season. Most people think that ruined it.), Another, Angel Beats, Sword Art Online, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate. I'd say those were the best of the ones i've seen. Oh and of course Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Mekakucity Actors
Corpse Demon / Shiki
Steins;Gate
Psycho Pass
THE UNLIMITED Hyoubu Kyousuke
Free! Iwatobi Swimming Club
Koi Kaze (cautiously plugging due to content >_>)
Tsuritama

And if you're into anime SO BAD that it's hilarious

Amnesia (seriously, I lolled)

Reactions: Ashi
I have a very short list of anime, buut I'll give you all I have:

Ashita no Nadja - very cute and near impossible to find online, so I linked!
Kobato - also cute
PSYCHO-PASS
Black Lagoon
Nabari no Ou
Shiki
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Casshern Sins
Black Rock Shooter - BRS2012 is the whole series, then there's the OVA
Chobits - if you like comdey and cute
Idol Master: Xenoglossia
Ghost in the Shell

I have a very short list of manga, too (Warning, these are mature):

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
Freezing Flame
LOVE X ERO
Viewfinder series - also known as "Love Prize in Viewfinder" and "Finder"
Acid Town
Leopard Hakusho
Kaikan Phrase
Love Celeb
Velvet Kiss
Desire Climax
Mugen Spiral

Okay, so those weren't as short as I remember.... But, good luck finding something. I hope this helped. =3

Seen Netflix's other original series? Lillyhammer is a great show, as is House of cards.

I'm sure you've seen Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones and all the other AMC and HBO greats. If not, then watch them, especially Deadwood.

Maybe some classic stuff that you never got into while it was airing? Adult Swim had a good lineup back in the day: Lupin III, FLCL, YUYU HAKUSHO and whatnot.

Ever give One Piece a chance? I never did until recently, and now I love it.

Serial Experiments Lain (Psychological)

Berserk (Dark Fantasy)

Seven Kingdoms (Fantasy)

Gantz might be a bit too gory for you, but it's really good.

Mirai Niki reminds me a bit of Death Note, so you may like it

Any Miyasaki movies you ain't seen yet

Any Satoshi Kon movie you ain't seen yet, especially Paprika

Last edited:
Berserk (Dark Fantasy)

@Kitty I can tell you right now that you should skip the anime and go straight for the manga with this one. While the anime isn't terrible, it is unfinished with no plans to continue it. The manga is a looooooong running series, so it'll keep you busy for a while, if you find out this is your thing.

Any Miyasaki Movie you ain't seen yet

Not all Ghibli movies are Miyasaki, so she'd be missing out on a lot of good ones :P But I second this whole heartedly~

Except Tales of (from?) Earthsea. That one was just… terrible. If you really want to know the story, you'd have better luck reading the actual book series.

@Kitty I can tell you right now that you should skip the anime and go straight for the manga with this one. While the anime isn't terrible, it is unfinished with no plans to continue it. The manga is a looooooong running series, so it'll keep you busy for a while, if you find out this is your thing.

Not all Ghibli movies are Miyasaki, so she'd be missing out on a lot of good ones :P But I second this whole heartedly~

Except Tales of (from?) Earthsea. That one was just… terrible. If you really want to know the story, you'd have better luck reading the actual book series.

Both read the manga and watch the show, if you end up being interested in either of them. And no, the anime is by no means terrible.

And about Miyazaki; "Not every Studio Ghibli release has been directed by Miyazaki, but his guiding hand is clearly behind all productions released through the company." -anime.about.com

Last edited:
Funny Ass Shit:

-Plastic Neesan

Horror/Serious Anime:

-Another
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Ghost Hunt

Other:

-Mushihi

Awesome Japanese Anime/Movie thing thats fucking hilarious in the most quirky and uplifting way

-Mind Games (japanese movie)

Here's a scene from the beginning... zomg best movie ever

Last edited by a moderator:
OH GOD SO MANY NOW
Also, for Berserk Dark Fantasy which is easier to get into? Is watching the anime or reading the book first more beneficial?

Hmmmmmmmmm. Depends on the person and what mood they are in I suppose.

The manga is more fleshed out, and is much longer. and the anime cuts out some characters and scenes. So the manga's more thorough.

But anime, for me, is generally easier to get into. I watched the anime first, got hooked, and then sought out the manga.

The anime is 25 episodes long.

The manga is near 40 volumes now.

I believe the first episode of the anime covers events from the 1st book, while the rest of the anime covers 4 through 9, So you can imagine how much content is in the Manga

Last edited:
So maybe I should look for anime's first, get a feel for it, then go more in depth if I appreciate it yeah?

Reactions: Jade
Status
Not open for further replies.