Great TV shows and anime? (Possibly manga as well?)

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Kitty, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonna make it short and sweet, I've run out of things to watch. We all know life is about distractions, so... Any recommendations?
    I've seen Orange is the New Black, New Girl, Supernatural, Black Butler (And the II), Death note, Durarara!, Baccano!, and a ton of others it'd take me forever to list. These are the newest though. I also really love the heart/clover/joker no KUNI no Alice series manga, as well as black butler and Death note, if you guys have any recommendations on those.
    I like to stay away from really heavy horror and gore.
    :P Thanks.
  2. Ummm. Here are a few off the top of my head.

Phantom: Requiem of Phantom
    Darker Than Black
    Soul Eater
    Zetsuen no Tempest
    Fairy Tail >.>
    Shingeki No Kyojin
    Space Dandy (for comedy :3)

I know more that is all I can think of at the moment.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wakfu (French anime, really adorable, and quirky)
    • Log Horizon (Like Sword Art Online, but not total crap)
    • Paranoia Agent (Psychological thriller)
    • Outlaw Star (Sci-Fi, Action)
    • Cowboy Bebop (A must see)
    • Hellsing (OVA preferably)

• For manga:
    • Dragonball (Classic, always relevant)
    • Any anime. If you see an anime that looks good, the manga is almost always better.
  3. I could recommend some things, but my tastes are mostly giant robots, scifi, and other odd stuff.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (and sequels)
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Gargantia on the Verduous Planet
    Knights of Sidonia (the anime's all-CG; the manga's also quite good.)
    Tekkaman Blade
    Senki Zesshou Symphogear
    Busou Shinki
    Selector Infected WIXOSS

For Western TV shows...I don't really watch any, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend either version of Cosmos.

5. Hellsing, Shakugan no Shana (but ignore the third season. Most people think that ruined it.), Another, Angel Beats, Sword Art Online, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate. I'd say those were the best of the ones i've seen. Oh and of course Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
  6. Mekakucity Actors
    Corpse Demon / Shiki
    Psycho Pass
    THE UNLIMITED Hyoubu Kyousuke
    Free! Iwatobi Swimming Club
    Koi Kaze (cautiously plugging due to content >_>)

And if you're into anime SO BAD that it's hilarious

Amnesia (seriously, I lolled)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I have a very short list of anime, buut I'll give you all I have:

Ashita no Nadja - very cute and near impossible to find online, so I linked!
    Kobato - also cute
    Black Lagoon
    Nabari no Ou
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
    Casshern Sins
    Black Rock Shooter - BRS2012 is the whole series, then there's the OVA
    Chobits - if you like comdey and cute
    Idol Master: Xenoglossia
    Ghost in the Shell

I have a very short list of manga, too (Warning, these are mature):

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
    Freezing Flame
    Viewfinder series - also known as "Love Prize in Viewfinder" and "Finder"
    Acid Town
    Leopard Hakusho
    Kaikan Phrase
    Love Celeb
    Velvet Kiss
    Desire Climax
    Mugen Spiral

Okay, so those weren't as short as I remember.... But, good luck finding something. I hope this helped. =3
  8. Seen Netflix's other original series? Lillyhammer is a great show, as is House of cards.

I'm sure you've seen Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones and all the other AMC and HBO greats. If not, then watch them, especially Deadwood.

Maybe some classic stuff that you never got into while it was airing? Adult Swim had a good lineup back in the day: Lupin III, FLCL, YUYU HAKUSHO and whatnot.

Ever give One Piece a chance? I never did until recently, and now I love it.

Serial Experiments Lain (Psychological)

Berserk (Dark Fantasy)

Seven Kingdoms (Fantasy)

Gantz might be a bit too gory for you, but it's really good.

Mirai Niki reminds me a bit of Death Note, so you may like it

Any Miyasaki movies you ain't seen yet

Any Satoshi Kon movie you ain't seen yet, especially Paprika
    #9 GonzoB., Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  9. @Kitty I can tell you right now that you should skip the anime and go straight for the manga with this one. While the anime isn't terrible, it is unfinished with no plans to continue it. The manga is a looooooong running series, so it'll keep you busy for a while, if you find out this is your thing.

Not all Ghibli movies are Miyasaki, so she'd be missing out on a lot of good ones :P But I second this whole heartedly~

Except Tales of (from?) Earthsea. That one was just… terrible. If you really want to know the story, you'd have better luck reading the actual book series.
  10. Both read the manga and watch the show, if you end up being interested in either of them. And no, the anime is by no means terrible.

And about Miyazaki; "Not every Studio Ghibli release has been directed by Miyazaki, but his guiding hand is clearly behind all productions released through the company."
    #11 GonzoB., Jul 5, 2014
  11. Funny Ass Shit:

-Plastic Neesan

Horror/Serious Anime:

-Serial Experiments Lain
    -Ghost Hunt

Awesome Japanese Anime/Movie thing thats fucking hilarious in the most quirky and uplifting way

-Mind Games (japanese movie)

Here's a scene from the beginning... zomg best movie ever

#12 heliacalRebirth, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  12. Man, that was worth the time I spent watching it. It doesn't last very long, but it was completely ridiculous.
    Also, for Berserk Dark Fantasy which is easier to get into? Is watching the anime or reading the book first more beneficial?
  14. Hmmmmmmmmm. Depends on the person and what mood they are in I suppose.

The manga is more fleshed out, and is much longer. and the anime cuts out some characters and scenes. So the manga's more thorough.

But anime, for me, is generally easier to get into. I watched the anime first, got hooked, and then sought out the manga.

The anime is 25 episodes long.

The manga is near 40 volumes now.

I believe the first episode of the anime covers events from the 1st book, while the rest of the anime covers 4 through 9, So you can imagine how much content is in the Manga
    #15 GonzoB., Jul 5, 2014
  15. So maybe I should look for anime's first, get a feel for it, then go more in depth if I appreciate it yeah?
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.