Good Anime for Moms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really man, Prisma Illya? I mean, you do know the excessive amount of fanservice it has right?

If your mom candle a handle a small scene of visible boobs, I would recommend Redline.

Oh my god, Redline...

You can't just jump into the world of anime with Redline. You need to work your way up to that what-the-fuckery. XD

You're all out of your damned minds.

Cowboy Bebop is the only answer.

OK YEAH BEBOP IS ALSO REALLY GOOD and so is Samurai Champloo.

And Trigun.

Yeah.

As someone who has watched Wolf Children, I will say that this should be high up on "Anime for Moms" list. Soooo good. And it's dubbed too!

I recommend Durarara!! since there isn't too much fanservice/gore/violence/boobs in it, Baccano as well, maybe The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Princess Tutu (what I remember of it: magical girl genre, creepier than expected, not as much fanservice as there could have been, short "magical girl" transformations, and ballet dancing!) is a good anime to show too.

Reactions: Windsong
I heard Ghost in the Shell has some nudity... My mom doesn't appreciate that kind of stuff. :/
In that case you should totally watch Bible Black :3
My mom doesn't like that kind of stuff. Fanservice? Heck no. XD
Madoka Magica is very loyal to magical girl animes.
What is wrong with all of you?!
HOW HAS NO ONE MENTIONED THIS?!
I've never seen it. :/
I remember totally forgetting there was sort of a rape scene so early on.
I don't remember this at all...

Last edited:
Gwazi, what are you thinking!?

It's called Bible Black, not Black Bible.
B... but... I fixed that pre-post. D:

Iwaku must have switched it back and when I moved pages! >.<

It's funny how everyone here is just vomiting up their favorite anime to suggest to a mother of at least two teenagers(Or Older, sorry, I don't really know).

Since assumption is the only thing I can go on here, She's would probably be a bit overwhelmed at these titles that launches straight into the fantastic and culture(And sub cultural) influence heavy shows.

My list is a bit more palatable for just people who aren't extremely into anime, but is looking for broader reaching stories:

Black Jack the TV Series-

I think someone mention the anime Monster before in the suggestion, so I might as well as post the original character that inspired the series(A lot of works of Naoki Urasawa was inspired and influenced by the narrative and storytelling style of Osamu Tezuka, which is kind of redundant, like saying every thing animated now was influenced by Disney). One of the seminal anime characters created by the seminal anime creator, Black Jack is pretty much like an anime Medical Mystery, like House MD, but more family friendly(At least this version is). It's broad stories can be a bit cheesy sometimes, as most of the stories are purposely tearjerkers, but it doesn't detrack away from how interesting and entertaining the story of Doctor With The Hands Of God is. It's a pretty good series and is very very family friendly. Hell, maybe you guys can watch it as a family if you don't mind the cheese factor of it all.

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi No Apollon)-

A coming of age story set in Japan in the 60's that focuses on the friendship of two boys and a girl through their shared interest in Jazz. I cannot recommend this anime enough to people who enjoy the more slice of life style of story telling; put together by the super star team that was behind Cowboy Bebop, it has become one of my favorite recent titles and I never hesistate to point people to it. The cast are both likable and realistic in character, filled with the typical heartache and misunderstandings that come with being hormonally charged mini-adults. It's worth checking out.

The Garden of Words-

This last one is a cheat on my part since I have yet to watch it(Goddamn poor quality streamsites... I MEAN... Uhh... GODDAMN LOCALIZATION LAG!), but the director(Who's other movies, 6CM per second and Voice of a Distant Star) has made some great movies that paints these beautiful portraits of a film and just look at that PV up there. No, seriously. Watch it. It's so pretty! Doesn't the art alone make you want to watch it? I mean it's fricken gorgeous! It's a love story about a high school boy and an older woman, so I think it might be a bit risque, but from the trailers and stuff I seen on it, I would wager that it'd be worth the watch. I honestly say give it a shot, I know I will be soon.

And that's three suggestions I made just to test the waters. If you manage to find these series, see if your Mom enjoys them. If she does, I might be able to scrounge up a little more to see if she will like them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember this at all...

I also forgot.

Hence why showing a bunch of people Death Note turned out to be quite the disaster when they couldn't handle such a dark and gritty introduction.

Ah, what about Kaleido star? About an acrobat who wants to act with a circus, an anime equivalent of the Cirque du Soleil, let's call it that. Again, it doesn't have any of the less favoured aspects of anime -lots of ecchi, panty shots, gore for no reason-, it's all about hard effort.

For something darker, with more mystery and to think a little bit about how rotten society already is and could get in the future, please make her watch Psycho Pass *O* Two seasons, but totally separate archs so you could watch only the first one if she feels like two seasons is too long, and it's excellent.

The Garden of Words
I've seen and enjoyed this anime.

However despite liking it I have to give this one a word of caution.
The whole thing is basically a blossoming romantic relationship (though not really because they don't actually get together) between a teacher and a student.
So if the mother is the kind of person to be creeped out by large age differences showing affection to one another this one might need to be passed over.
I also forgot.

Hence why showing a bunch of people Death Note turned out to be quite the disaster when they couldn't handle such a dark and gritty introduction.
But what scene are you referring to exactly?
Because I have no idea what part you're talking about atm.

But what scene are you referring to exactly?
Because I have no idea what part you're talking about atm.

There's a scene early on where Light's chilling out inside some sort of corner store or something and he takes note of an attempted rape going on outside, which is what inspires him to test out the Death Note on one of the rapists by having them get hit by a truck or something.

In the case of the people I tried showing Death Note to way-back-when, they were waaay too distracted and freaked out by the rape scene to even really notice what Light was doing, so uh... yeah...

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
There's a scene early on where Light's chilling out inside some sort of corner store or something and he takes note of an attempted rape going on outside, which is what inspires him to test out the Death Note on one of the rapists by having them get hit by a truck or something.

In the case of the people I tried showing Death Note to way-back-when, they were waaay too distracted and freaked out by the rape scene to even really notice what Light was doing, so uh... yeah...
Oh yeah, that. :/
I'm not sure how I forgot about that.

What is wrong with all of you?!
HOW HAS NO ONE MENTIONED THIS?!
maxresdefault.jpg
It's in Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.