Glowing Tree

Though I feel the aching in my bones and grow cold amid the trappings of a life long spent... I feel so very young as I write these words. For there are things far more ancient in the deep and dark, that have raged and slumbered through the aeons. And that day we saw but a glimpse, and felt like ants beneath the heel of antiquity.

From the Diary of Darius Castablane​

He waded into the swirling dust, coughing and choking as he traced the silhouettes of Zahra and Lahras. His shield was braced against the wind and his eyes streamed as he focussed on his footsteps. Then the first tremor knocked him off balance. Something was coming. Or more correctly... some things. As he pushed to the other side of the chamber he saw the shadows filling each of the three plated passageways beyond. The vibrations were getting heavier and louder, quickening like his heartbeat.

Then he saw a shadow take shape.

"ZAHRA!" The Paladin swung in front of the woman and boy, just as the first Stone Giant ducked through the copper archway. It's boulder-like fist came swooping towards them and Darius glanced it with the edge of his shield, sending himself and fist crashing into the cavern wall. He landed in a heap of rubble, rolling onto his back and checking that the others had gotten clear. Then another shadow fell over him.

He rolled aside as the second fist slammed down and cratered the earth. Coming to his feet, he sprinted beneath the limbs of the Giant and swung his mace with fullest force, smashing out a piece of its knee-joint. The creature hobbled slightly but turned to follow, its good leg sweeping around and colliding with the copper archway. Again, the Paladin's back was glanced by the kick and he fell down in the passageway beyond, covered in dust and spluttering for breath.

"GET OUT OF HERE!" he yelled to the others.

The light of the main chamber was eclipsed as the giant stooped in to look for the Paladin. Darius swung the mace again and fractured the crystal orb of its left eye, and as the creature recoiled he got back to his feet and leapt between the giant's legs.