From Beneath the Waves

Korin hummed a soft, agreeable note, eyes open enough to see how tired Olivia looked and hoping she would fall asleep if she needed to, that he wasn't keeping her up even as he was almost trying not to sleep. "A lot of work sometimes, but I wanted to help it grow. . . Is an orchard a very big garden? What kinds of things do you grow?"

Part of him wondered if he would ever see something like that, a garden that stretched far enough he had trouble seeing the end, plants as vast as the sea. If nothing else it was very pretty imagery.

"Oh - them?" He asked a little more softly, a little more confused. "Your family?" He assumed that was what she meant, when she said 'we' were growing things. He still wondered what it was like to have a real family. It was too soon to let himself think at all of what his own might have been like.

"Mmhm." She agreed softly, "yeah pretty much, an orchard is where you grow trees, for wood or for fruit." "We grow lots of different fruits and vegetables."

Her voice was growing softer as despite her best efforts, she was finding herself drifting off to sleep. "Yeah, they'd love to meet you sometime."

She said sleepily, not really thinking about how that might scare him. Not that he had to be, she'd made a promise not to tell anyone about him, and she always kept her promises.

"Me?" Korin murmured softly, unsure whether he was responding to her or just talking to himself. It was strange enough that he'd found Olivia, and even then their friendship had begun with him saving her life so he supposed there had been some sort of feelings of debt involved. The idea of anyone being glad to meet him that had never so much as heard his name before was baffling to someone who had spent a large part of their life solitary. And besides, weren't her family a long way away? Even knowing what he did now, going far from the sea made him feel almost panicked. It was a thought for another day.

". . . I think I might sleep a little bit," he said quietly, listening to the way her breathing changed as she drifted further into unconsciousness herself. He wasn't sure how he even remembered what that sounded like, after living underwater for so long, but he hoped she would be able to get some rest even if it turned out he didn't get much himself. "Goodnight, Olivia. . . And thank you." In the morning, he would have to think more about what came next, but for now he could try and sleep.

"Sure, of course." She replied softly, thinking he was responding to her. She spoke as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, since to her it was.

Her family were kind, welcoming people and they were always eager to meet her friends, she knew they'd welcome Korrin with open arms.

Though she knew she should get up and return to her own bed, she was already half asleep so when Korrin bid her goodnight, she could only murmur back, "goodnight Korrin, sweet dreams." Before letting go, and drifting off to sleep completely.

It was nice of Olivia to reassure him, though Korin wasn't sure he could believe that perfect strangers would be so glad to see him. She was always so nice to him. He hoped he never stopped being able to appreciate it.

When she closed her eyes and began to drift to sleep, Korin reached on instinct not quite to hold her hand, but just to rest their hands where they touched each other, so he could still find comfort in her presence as he began to slip away himself. It was so strange to sleep without the heartbeat of the sea all around him, but with Olivia's warmth and gentle music in the air around them he was finally able to close his eyes and rest.

His dreams were very strange that night, a mixture of feeling lost, and finding what he'd been looking for all along. When morning light urged him to open his eyes he could hardly recall anything but the lingering feelings of confusion. He tried to shake it off as he sat up in the bed, remembering slowly all that had happened and for a moment staring at his legs like they weren't attached to him. There was so much he was going to need to learn, and quickly.

Olivia's sleep was deep and peaceful, and she awoke early the next morning feeling quite refreshed, though for a moment she was confused by her surroundings.

As she remembered she blushed a little, embrassed that she'd fallen asleep when she was supposed to be stating up with him, and in his bed as well.

Thankfully he had managed to get some sleep, and was still out of it. She slipped out of bed quietly, being careful not to wake him as she retrieved her phonr and crept out into the hall.

Whilst he slept she took a shower, got dressed and fixed her hair. Then she got started making breakfast, waiting for him to wake up and join her when he was ready.

Korin wasn't worried when he woke up alone. It was what he was used to, really, and he could hear enough of the faint sounds of someone moving around in the house to know Olivia hadn't left him. He hoped she had been able to rest some before she'd gotten up. It felt as if his own internal clock had broken, and he had no idea how long the sun had been up already.

Quietly, he got himself to his feet and was careful to make sure he was steady before shuffling over to the doorway. It was so strange waking up on dry land he couldn't help feeling disoriented, and only began to feel a bit better about it when he could see her.

"Good morning," He said softly, wary of startling her while she was busy doing things. "Did you sleep well?" Whatever she was doing, it smelled nice.

She'd just finished setting the table when he spoke up, she turned to face him, a bright smile on her face. "Good morning!" "You've got perfect timing, breakfasts ready." "I've got scrambled eggs, bacon and pancakes with maple syrup."

"I've got plenty of other stuff too if you don't like any of it ok?"
She seemed a little flustered, as she gave him a somewhat embarrassed smile. "I did sleep well, did you?"

Olivia's demeanor felt a little strange, like she was rushing to get out what she wanted to say, or else not sure what she actually wanted to say next. Korin hoped that didn't mean she was lying to make him feel better and that she actually hadn't gotten much sleep after all. He would hate to think she had suffered at all for his presence, even in such a small way.

"I did," he confirmed softly, with a small, warm smile on his face. "Thank you. For staying with me. It was . . . good to have company." He wasn't really sure what he would have done alone, but he knew that it would have been much harder to deal with everything by himself. "And thank you for breakfast."

It was still strange to eat above water, where his food was neither damp nor prone to floating away if he didn't touch it, but he was getting more used to it the more times he visited her. She was always so good to him, making so many things for him to try. When she directed him to he sat at the table, a bit gingerly since chairs were still a little strange to him as well but in decent spirits given all that had happened.

"It smells very good. Thank you." He knew she had told him to stop thanking her or apologizing for things, but he couldn't help it. "What were you going to do today? I don't want to get in your way. . ." He supposed he could always go back for the things he was going to bring her straight away, but part of him didn't feel like getting back in the water would feel as safe anymore. Even if he was only stalling, he just wanted to run away from hurt him for a little while longer.

She seemed a little relieved by his answer, she'd been worried he might be annoyed with her for falling asleep when she'd said she'd stay up with him.

She was also a little embrassed that she'd fallen asleep in his bed, basically forcing him to share. Joining him at the table, she sat down opposite him.

"You're welcome, but I'm sorry I fell asleep, and in your bed too." She apologised, a faint blush in her cheeks. "And you're welcome for breakfast too, i hope you like it but it's fine if you don't."

She poured them both a glass of juice while she thought about his question, shrugging a little. "You won't, I didn't really have any plans." "I was just going to relax, maybe head into town, do some shopping." "Is there anything you'd like to do today?"

"Oh, no, it's all right," Korin said with a little shake of his head, waving his hands back and forth in front of him as if to try and dismiss her discomfort. "It was nice, having someone next to me. It helped, I think. Hearing you breath was a bit like listening to moving water, if that makes sense."

He paused, in the middle of picking up a fork, and gave her a hesitant, sheepish look. "I'm sorry - was that too strange?" He didn't want I make her more uncomfortable, but he wasn't sure how else to say it. Like an infant that slept to the sound of their mother's beating heart, he was used to hearing the ocean's constant shift and change around him as he slept.

"I - I don't know what to do, really." He added with a shake of his head, picking uncertainly at the food on his plate and taking a small bite of eggs as he considered, something shy in the way his shoulders curled in. "I don't . . . think I want to go back yet."

She blinked a little in surprise, then she blushed a little bit smiled warmly. "It does make sense, and no it's fine." "It's just.." She hesitated, then shook her head a little, "nevermind."

"So long as i didn't snore."
She joked playfully, taking a few bites of her breakfast. "I could set up some wave sounds for you to go to sleep with if you want."

"Well you don't have to Korrin."
She reassured gently, "you're welcome to stay here as long as you want, even if I'm not here ok?"

She smiled warmly, "we can stay here today and just chill, or you can come into town with me if you want."

Korin worried he had made Olivia uncomfortable somehow but wasn't quite sure how, or how to fix it, and decided to take her word and let it go for now. "Like when you play music?" He asked, a thoughtful expression on his face for a moment and then a small smile. "That might help, actually. I can't hear it well from here."

That was assuming he would be staying with her for another night, which he hoped was actually what she was offering like he thought she was. Being with her in a human town, however, was something a little more uncertain. "I'd . . . like to try coming with you, if it's all right. Maybe some of it will be familiar." He worried what it would be like, being somewhere more populated, but maybe it would help him regain some of the memories he had lost so long ago. He wasn't sure if it would ever come back or if it was all gone forever, but surely he could stand a trip into town just once.

She nodded a little, "yeah I can play it the same way, I play forest noises for myself sometimes, to feel more at home." "There's lots of different ocean sounds I can find too, like a lot of people like wave sounds or whale songs."

She smiled and nodded, "of course, I'd love for you to come with me Korrin and if you think it might help you remember then that's even better." "Our first stop should be getting you some clothes."

Forest noises. Korin wondered just what that would be like. He was aware of what a forest as but he hadn't been in one before so he wasn't sure what it would be like besides, perhaps, birds or trees rustling. If she listened to it to fall asleep, it had to be peaceful.

"I'll let you decide all of that," he said with a soft, sheepish laugh. "I don't really know what to wear." With a curious tilt of his head, he leaned back a little to look down at his feet, as if he'd forgotten they were there. "Will I need . . . shoes?" Given how uncomfortable it was to walk on rocks on the way to her home, he wasn't sure he would be very safe walking around without something to protect his newly un-scaled limbs.

She laughed a little, "I'm sure we'll find something you like." "We can stick to the basics for now anyway, and just get a few shirts and pants."

She didn't want to overwhelm him with too many choices, especially since she didn't know how long he planned on staying, so she thought he'd be fine with just a few things to start with.

"Oh right." She'd forgotten he didn't have those, "yeah you definitely will, shoes are important but I don't think I have any here that will fit you." She smiled and shrugged, "it's okay we'll make that the first stop."

A few things would be just fine, Korin thought, and hopefully he would be able to get used to it quickly enough. It was rare that his people wore more than something simple to cover their chest, given how any sort of adornment would slow them down and get in the way when swimming. He himself only had a few small articles of what could be deemed clothing back in his cave, and even those were more like jewelry than like the shirt he wore now.

"Thank you," he said with a little nod, slightly sheepish about inconveniencing her. "I think I'll be all right with a little walking, as long as there aren't any rocks around. Standing on feet feels . . . very strange, still. It doesn't feel the same as touching things with my fins." Like the nerves were different, even though they still belonged to him. It was difficult to describe, or perhaps it was just that he lacked the words for it himself so far. At least the upper half of his body felt largely the same, though it had changed too. He woild have to be more wary of injuring his now more delicate skin without scales to keep him safe.

"Well shoes aren't just from protecting your feet from being sore, but they're also so you don't step in anything gross and get germs on them."

She smiled a little in amusement, "also people are expected to wear shoes when they go out to public places like stores and things." "And for people to not be in pyjamas, so we'll definitely do clothes and shoes first thing."

She figured he could always wait in the car while she ran in to at least get some shoes first, but if he wanted to join her she didnt think anyone in town would mind too much. It was a fairly small town, and it seemed pretty laid back for the most part.

Korin tilted his head a little, eyes drifting off towards the ceiling as he tried to think of what she meant. It wasn't that he didn't know things could be dirty or that 'germs' existed, but given how long he had lived underwater it had never been so much of an issue. Most things were washed away by the saltwater; things that couldn't be were less common.

"Will I cause trouble?" He asked with a slight furrow in his brow, concern on his face. "I don't want to . . . bother anyone." Was it as bad to be seen in pajamas as it had been for her to see him in nothing? Human rules about how they clothed themselves were still strange to him. He'd been born as one, apparently, but he still couldn't actively recall any of his previous life beyond realizing that he knew the meaning of words that he shouldn't have, had he lived in the ocean since birth.

She shook her head, feeling a little guilty that she'd worried him. She'd have to keep in mind just how much he didn't know about life up here, and how confusing even the smallest thing could be.

Not to mention the life changing news he'd just gotten, she wanted to help him feel better, not pile on more worries. "No it won't cause any problems, you might just get funny looks."

She smiled warmly, "don't worry Korrin, you'll be fine." "I'll help you with everything you need or want to know okay?" She reassured gently.