Freak Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hannah awoke atop an operating table, eyes staring straight up at the ceiling. She looked as a normal girl should. She was garbed in a cardigan sweater made for her by her grandma, a pair of navy blue corduroy jeans, and a pair of white discount sneakers, not from a major brand. She wore a small hairclip shaped like a bunny's head - it was stylized, almost cartoony. Nothing seemed out of place.

But she felt it. Something was wrong. She couldn't put a finger on it.

She felt tingly. It was a low tingly, but she couldn't pinpoint where she felt it.

She sat up, taking in her surroundings. The state of the place... it was utterly unkempt, with surgical tools, various mysterious vials and liquids, and... some mechanisms she swore she recognized from museums. They looked like the sort of thing you'd strap a madman to, and try to bleed the detonation code out of him.

She shivered. She needed to get out.

"Ah, Hannah. What a pretty name for a girl..."

A chilling voice echoed in her head. Wait... it sounded familiar. These words sounded familiar.

Were they memories? They felt too real.

"So innocent... so naive. Such a fuss, such a bother. Not everyone gets to have a close encounter with one of my troupe, but... ah, to grant such a wish for a child is but a trifle."

She could put a face to that voice as it rambled on. The slippery Ring Master? He spoke with such charm and charisma, but... there was a steely bite to his words.

"I do know about you, oh of course I do. I could grant another wish for such a clever girl, oh yes."

Her attention turned to a mirror. A full body mirror. She studied herself, only to find one thing was out of place.

Her hair. What happened to her hair? It took on a beautiful, golden hue, with a silky quality. It had grown longer too, down to her shoulders.

It wasn't right. Her hair was brown. She cut it short too. Did... did the man dye her hair?

"Your favourite tale was Rapunzel. A stunning princess, she was. Magnificent long hair, spun as fine gold... the most beautiful child under the sun..."

The tingling in her body wouldn't abate. It felt like an itch. She subconsciously scratched her arm, but the itching, the tingling wouldn't subside.

She leaned closer. Was her hair... still growing?

"Ah, you know what my favourite part was? When Rapunzel was crying beside the window of her great tower, the Prince rode up and called out...

"RAPUNZEL! RAPUNZEL! LET DOWN YOUR HAIR!"

The voice was earsplitting, yet never escaped her head, her memories. The tingling only grew worse, like a fire spreading out through her entire body. She grunted, buckling to the floor, her view of the mirror breaking momentarily. She scratched at her entire body, trying to find the source of an all consuming itch.

In frustration, she grabbed the collar of her sweater and, with a SWOOSH, exposed her upper body to look for something like welts, chicken pox.

Instead, she found that she was sprouting... she could only describe it as fur? No... it matched the exact colour of her own hair.

But it was growing. Everywhere. And it was growing fast.

She yelped, falling on her behind in absolute terror, her peach skin increasingly smothered and suffocated by golden hair. One inch... two inches... three inches, in a matter of moments. And it wasn't stopping.

Hannah felt increasing discomfort in her pants and her shoes. Hair was growing on her feet and ankles at such a rapid rate, her shoes simply popped out of her feet. Hair was snaking its way between the seams of her jeans.

Suddenly, everything went dark. She felt the weight of long bangs press against her forehead, streaming down her face. She had to raise a hand to clear them, finding her hair was covered in the same thick hair. She looked like an overgrown bear.

She was getting a better look at her face, and recoiled. She was growing a beard!? She was too young for that, and... her eyebrows, and her sideburns, and... her entire face! She barely recognized herself! That was her!? This wasn't some kind of tacky parlour trick?

"I suppose the moral here is, be careful what you wish for, pet. You must have the longest locks in all the land now. And people will come from all around to marvel at them. I hope you're prepared for the attention.~"

The voice sneered in her head one more time. The tingling never stopped. She could still feel every pore of her body tingling. Would it ever stop?
She looked like a monster. She was a monster. She broke down and cried, before passing out.

...That was two weeks ago.

Her hair hasn't stopped growing, not yet, but it 'slowed' its growth. Not remarkably so. She must've accumulated a few feet of hair all over her body a day if it was left unattended. She looked like a hack mascot from a low-budget children's show, and her features had all been buried under mounds of hair.

Still, she persevered. Her first instinct was to try and hack it all off. She found a pair of rusty hedgetrimmers for just the trick, and tried to cut all the hair pooling out of her body down to a more manageable length. She left an inch everywhere. She wanted to reach the beautiful skin she missed so much, but she'd need a razor or a buzzcutter for that.

The night she tried that, she was met with incredible pain, as her body fought back. She passed out from the pain and woke up with her long hair all grown back in place. 5 feet of hair overnight. It felt so futile, and another foot was added every new day, at least. She stopped wearing clothes at that points - what was the point when you marched around like a giant gold dust bunny anyway?

It could be worse. She didn't have to suffer through the rigorous training others did (though she had her own special hell to suffer through instead). Her hair was warm, cushy, a nice pillow and blanket against the hard cell floor. If she cooperated, there wouldn't be any pain. She felt tingly all the time - a buzz that coincided with the constant growth of hair all across her body - but she had acclimated to it.

But in all her time here, she had hardly seen Sosê. The boy she came to see in the first place. Apparently he had to train by himself a lot of the time. She thought that was sad, but... it was understandable.

---------------

Waking up again with the worst case of bedhead the world had ever seen (at least until the next day), she pulled herself together, feeling the walls with her hands. She didn't know anyone very well, and this may well have been the first meet up with others like her. She pulled one of her enormous bangs aside, trying to get an eye for what was going on, but strands of hair always found ways to obscure her visions.

A ropey, twisted strand of hair tied around her legs. She slipped and fell with a pathetic fwump, groaning pitifully. She stirred to try and untangle herself, only to get knotted up worse. Only by taking a few mental steps back and uncoiling herself could she scramble to her feet. It ended up taking far longer than she wished and she had to forego the showers.

Such is life. A shower would just making carrying her heavy load all the more backbreaking. She scrambled to the meeting place, nearly tripping over herself in the meantime. Somehow, she wasn't the last one to arrive.

She took a deep breath, a sombre expression completely masked and unseen to the rest of them. She tried to psyche herself up a bit. It was going to be another hard day.

------------------

Her own brand of torture from the Ring Master was particularly unbearable, as it felt like she was being torn apart on a molecular level. Every pore in her body burned and screamed out in agony as she tried to hold herself together. Eventually, the sensation of her entire body pulling apart ceased, before the Ring Master dismissed them to their affairs.

Hannah had no practices. Rather, she had to take the day to get herself presentable for what amounted to a freak show exhibit. This could take hours, especially with what little she was given.

She was still visibly tense, unmoving and shivering. Eventually, the shivering stopped.

"Is... is he gone? The Ring Master...?" She whispered, uncertain. She really couldn't see a damn thing, could she?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: :Cosmic: and Ayla
Lilith turned at the sound of the small voice that asked if the Master had left. She frowned softly at the mound of hair she knew to be a girl, another one of the Ring Masters most recent additions. She moved to place her hand on Po's shoulder and give it a reassuring squeeze, but thought better of it. After what had just happened, she didn't want to cause Po to panic by touching Vector. She slowly made her way over to the child, her belly scales making a soft swishing noise as she moved across the packed dirt. She bent down slowly, making sure her snakes didn't fall from her shoulders or arms and gently ran her fingers along where she thought the head of the girl might be. "It isss okay child, the Ring Masster ssseemsss to have left usss to practice.....for now." She really hated the lisping sound of her voice as she spoke, but she was still trying to recover from the pain and was still quite shaken up. She turned her attention back to the girl, stroking her hair gently. "I don't believe we've had a chance to meet yet little one. My name is Lilith."

Reactions: Ayla
Hannah heard something enormous and inhuman move towards her. She felt a hand stroke her hair. It was gentle, motherly, calming...

The slithery voice that was behind it sounded gentle, but the lithe was awkward. Hannah shuffled to pull some of her hair aside to get a better look at the person offering her comfort, revealing a pair of gorgeous blue eyes in a mess of hair. And a beard.

She felt something catch in her throat momentarily at the sight. She was big! And she was carrying snakes! Deadly ones, she could tell, from their coloration. And her tail could probably suffocate her something fierce. It was mesmerizing, and awe-inducing. She stared up for just a few seconds too long.

"H-hello..." She croaked out quietly. The muted sound of her voice reminded her that she was staring. She shook her head and stood up straighter, her hair rustling with the motion.

"I mean, hi! I'm Hannah!" She urged out, a bit more enthusiastically, almost forcing it out. She took a breath, calming herself down. "S-sorry, I... I'm new here, it's nice to meet you too, Lilith."

She tried to smile, though she felt just awful for staring as long as she did. She stood up on her tippytoes, extending her right hand for a friendly handshake. An exposed palm could be made out from the mess of tangled hair - it was one of the few things not growing any hair.

She tilted her head, pondering the snakes riding atop Lilith. Her eyes widened with curiosity. "Woooow... I remember seeing a bunch of those at the zoo. They look so... relaxed!" It was really something else to see for the curious girl.

The girls immediate reaction didn't phase Lilith in the least. She and the other more monstrous looking creations normally always drew that type of reaction from new members. She had had a similar reaction when seeing Croc for the first time. She smiled down at the girl and removed her hand from the child's head so that she could stand up a bit straighter. It was a bit endearing that she seemed a bit embraced to have been caught staring. Lilith sat back on her tail slightly, bringing her closer Hannah's height, though she still seemed to tower over the girl. She laughed softly at the extended hand and took it gently within her own elegantly, long fingered one. "It is lovely to meet you Hannah, though I wish it could have been under better circumstances. You may also call me Medusa if you like. It's my stage name here." As she spoke, one of her snakes made it's way down her arm and flicked it's tongue at the smaller girls hand in curiosity. The particular snake doing the sniffing was a green tree viper., the Ring Master preferring her to work with snakes that stood out against the paleness of her own skin. He gripped Hannah's hard a bit tighter to keep her from moving or pulling back suddenly, which might cause the snake to strike out of reflex. "They know that I would never do anything to hard them, so they are always very relaxed when they are will me. The one kissing your hand is Zelena. Please be careful to not move to quickly around her, she does not know you quite yet." she was not worried about practicing as she had been doing her act for nearly 6 years now, but she was a bit worried for the girl. "Do you have an act that you need to be practicing for Hannah? I would hate for you to get in trouble because I took up so much of your time."

"Ah... I'd rather call you Lilith. That's your real name, yeah? You don't need to pretend to be anyone else for me..."

She pondered that thought. "...Though, on second thought, Lilly would be even cuter!~" She chuckled. Looks like Lilith had a nickname now.

Hannah gasped lightly as Zelena tasted her hand, though Lilith's gentle grip would keep her calm. She bit her lower lip gently, stiff as a board, her nervous eyes locked on the snake. She thought she wasn't afraid of snakes, but this was a close encounter she hadn't dreamed of...

"I-i-it's okay, I'm not afraid of snakes!" She declared, unconvincingly.

True to Lilith's word, Zelena seemed very gentle. Hannah was indeed charmed by the charming snake.

"Hi pretty girl!" Hannah whispered dotingly to the curious, deadly predator.

Lilith would inquire about her plans for the day, which brought Hannah back into reality.

"Oh, um... not really an act, per se... I don't have to perform, but..." She sighed. "I have to be ready for when they put me in that room again. The one with the soundproofed windows? If my hair's too messy, the Ring Master might set it on fire again... s-so I have to clean up a bit."

Her downcast expression turned to ropes of tangled hair as she anxiously toyed with one of her bangs. Her hair wasn't in great shape either; you could tell she was unable to tie it up at all, and much of it was left to drag along the ground, knotting, tangling and picking up dirt and other things.

"It's hard, but... i-it's not a big deal, I think... n-not as bad as what everyone else has to do."

Lilith couldn't help but chuckle at the child in front of her. She put on such a brave face for one so young, even when it came to interacting with one of her most deadly snakes and making the best out of a situation where she had basically been turned into a walking carpet. She made a soft hissing noise and Zelena turned her small green head to look back at her mistress before giving Hannah's hand a last kiss, turning to slither her way back up and around Lilith's upper arm. 'It seems that she likes you. That's a very good thing because her bite is very dangerous. But she is a good girl, when she wants to be."

Her soft blue eyes roamed over Hannah's body as she spoke, a sharp fang catching on her bottom lip as she chewed it in thought. There was no way Hannah would be able to tame her mass of hair before the circus opened, and she didn't want the Ring Master to punish her again. It had taken her a good month to get used to her new body and it's movements and needs. The snakes hadn't been a real challenge since she was already used to working with them. She has constantly run into things and knocked things over before she learned to mimic the graceful movements of her snakes. She placed her hand gently on the top of the girls head and gave her a smile, the tips of her fangs showing.

"You may call me Lilly if you like. I don't mind at all. I would like to help you if you don't mind. If you have a brush, or something that passes as one in this horrible place, I will help you clean up as much as I can before we open tonight. You might also benefit from help in the showers in the mornings since you have so much hair to clean and wash. I am usually one of the first up and in the showers so if you can match your schedule to mine I will help you with that as well."

She cast her eyes around the practice circle, looking for anyone else who might need some help before turning her pale face back to Hannah. "Why don't you go get me that 'brush' and I will check with some of the others to see if they need any assistance while you are gone."

"...Eh!?"

She was taken aback by Lilith's generous offer to help her. Especially with what she already knew of how days had to be spent. Her head darted from side to side, before looking up at Lilith once more.

"A-are you sure?? I have a few things I use, but... I mean, y-you have to have, ah, an actual performance to practice for. I don't wanna waste your time, I mean... all I do is sit and wave at people, I'm not... I'm not that important..."

She fidgeted, pulling at hair starting just above her hips. She looked down at it. She wanted to say she had it covered, but... the sheer mass of it... it astounded her.

And she knew it was still growing. In her anxiety, she remembered the tingling. Always tingling.

There was no way she could handle it herself.

"...I... I... I shouldn't... but..."

She was visibly uneasy. Even her hair seemed to slump with her body. She didn't know what to do at this point.

Lilith gave the you girl a sad smile and nodded. "It's true that I have an act to prepare for, but much like you, all I do is sit around and interact with my snakes and the people whom want to touch them and such. I also pose for pictures and will occasionally do some, well, I suppose you would consider them risque things at the Ring Masters request for adults who are willing to pay. So unlike the others here I do not have to do much to prepare. The snakes do as I say so there is no preparing them either." She watched the child cast looks around the practice ring and sighed softly. She didn't want to get herself or Lilith in trouble, Lilith understood that. But the Ring Master would be much angrier if she were to fail to prepare herself and cause problems for the circus. "How about this little one. I will help you for today. Get you fixed up as much as I am able and then you will be on your own as far as upkeep. That should keep up both out of trouble with the Ring Master."

He wasn't sure what to expect when talking with the girl that looked like an angel, but Soren didn't seem to mind the silence. Maybe she just needed some girl time, or whatever the thing was called when girls hang out. Untangling his body until he was standing straight up again, he moved to another part of the tent, eyes roving as he took in everything else. Seemed like the conjoined "twins" were talking with the fortune teller, then there was the crocodile doing who knows what. Li Hua and the angel were together having their girl time, and the rest...Well, he wasn't able to keep track of because he noticed he was near the walking hair carpet and the snake charmer that was part snake himself. He was always fascinated with how the woman always dressed in white, kind of like him. With a shrug, he continued twisting and turning his body as he practiced acro dancing, glancing at the two of them every now and again.

Lilith explained her position with great clarity. It did lift a weight for Hannah that she wouldn't be dragging her or anything. A soft smile arose on her face.

"If it's not a problem, then I... I'd appreciate it, really! I'll go get my things!"

Calling out, she pivoted and ran in the direction of the living spaces. Unfortunately, that put her on a collision course with Soren, and her long bangs almost completely obscured her vision.

He'd have to act fast!

@TuttyTheFruity

Soren was too intent on his acro dancing to notice anything. How could he, especially when his eyes were closed and he was thinking about his family? It had been so long since he'd last seen them or his friends, were they still looking for him? He didn't know, but an ugly thought reared its head. Did any of his friends get caught like him but, unlike him, they didn't survive? He didn't want to think about it.

And there was no need to when he felt something hairy hit him. His eyes snapped open and he gave a startled yelp as he collapsed and phased through the girl, his head sticking into her body. Yeah, his alteration of him being part ghost usually manifested when he was caught off guard, like now. He pushed himself up and got his head out of the girl's body, now becoming solid again. "Sorry about that, didn't see you there," he croaked in a hushed whisper due to the injury inflicted on his throat.

"Oops-!"

Hannah also tumbled over, knotting herself up even further. She hit someone, she was sure of it, but suddenly that physical feeling... vanished. Actually, she felt a sneeze coming on as she raised her head..

"Achoo!" She let out a loud one. Her hair seemed to shake and rustle as she rubbed her nose, before realizing someone was indeed behind her now. Her head jerked up.

"Ah! Sorry, did I- did I run into you?? I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was goinggg..!" He sounded really hurt. She really must've knocked the wind out of him.

She tried to stand up, tripped as a tendril of hair pulled her foot back, and then staggered back up, turning in the boy's direction. It all happened so fast, she hadn't quite realized he had done anything... ghostlike.

"A-are you hurt? I went at you really hard..." She moved a bang aside, exposing her face to reveal a regretful expression, and to get a better look at the boy.

@TuttyTheFruity

Soren looked at her with a puzzled expression on his face. "I'm fine, why do you ask?" he asked before he realized something. "Oh! Oh you mean my voice. Well..." He pulled down the collar of his shirt and lifted his head up a little, showing the jagged scar across his neck. "Ring Master did it on my first attempt at escaping," he explained, bringing his collar back up, "You know, I don't think we've talked before. I'm Soren, what's your name?" He extended a hand out to shake it, causing the chains on his wrist to clink. Yeah, him looking like a chained up prisoner probably didn't help with his image.

Lilith watched Hannah run off and smiled at the girls enthusiasm. She was just glad she could help at all. She had tried comforting and consoling many of the others trapped here, but some did not seem to want her help. She understood, so it didn't bother her. When she had first come to the circus, she had been much like them, but over the years she had just grown to accept her fate and tried to make it easier for those she could. Soft blue eyes widened as she saw Hannah about to run into the ghost boy Soren and was about to call out to her to watch where she was going but it was too late. She cringed when the two hit, and couldn't help the shiver that ran up her spine at seeing the boy phase through the hair covered girl. It wasn't his fault, but the boys phasing abilities always kind of made Lilith uncomfortable. Wanting to make sure both were alright, she slowly made her way from where she was just in time to hear Soren introduce himself. She stopped some feet from the two and tilted her head in question, some of her snakes mimicking her movements. "Are you both okay?"

As Soren lowered his collar, Hannah had to stifle a gasp of shock. She covered her mouth, only to let bangs of hair drop over her eyes again.

That was an awful thing to do to someone! And the scarring left behind was unsettling, moreover than his ghostly appearance. As Soren gently offered a hand, she had to move aside her hair to look up at him again, though her face was rather pale.

"...Ha... Hannah. I'm Hannah." She meekly extended a hand of her own for a handshake, her eyes narrowing on the clanking chains. She assumed it was... a costume of sorts. She wasn't sure what Soren's alteration was, other than that... awful scar.

The handshake at the least went some way to ground her. She gulped, steeling herself a bit, smiling softly. "Nice to meet you, Soren." She tilted her head again "T-those chains look awful heavy though... does he make you wear those everywhere too?" She frowned pitiably. Though she'd know something about carrying a heavy load; the strain that the mass of hair put on her body was a pain in the neck. And the arms and legs and... everywhere.

As Lilith spoke up, Hannah perked her head up in her direction. "O-oh, I think we're okay! Just a bump, nothing to it!"

Genevive "Ginny" Whitaker Vaughan
Theodore "Theo" Christopher Vaughan
The Vaughan twins began whisking Milae to the other side of the tent from the ring master. What would most likely be awkward for her, they put her in front of them and as between them as they could get. Their steps were perfectly timed so neither of them stepped on her, and both of their inner arms were wrapped around her shoulders. "So, it shames us to say this,"

"It truly does."

"But we don't actually know your name."

"I'm Ginny."

"And I'm Theo."

"Just in case you didn't know our names either."

They sat her down on the ground and, with surprising grace, both knelt at the same time, hands folded in their laps, smiles on their faces. When they spoke, it was in unison this time. Which creeped them out every time they did it, but sometimes it just happened. "We would like our fortune read."

Reactions: :Cosmic:
@TuttyTheFruity @WitchesRayvyn

The boy shook Hannah's hand, eyes softening a little bit. She looked kind of looked like something from a children's cartoon with her eyes peeking out like that, though he wasn't going to say that out loud. "He does," Soren answered, grimacing, "I think he's afraid that my alteration would help with my escape, so he put these on me." He sighed. "They've been on me since day one of being here, it sucks." Sucks was an understatement, it was almost like hell. ...Or maybe hell was worse, he didn't know.

He turned to look at the snake woman coming towards them and asking if they were alright. "I'm fine, nothing to worry about," he murmured, coughing a little. Though the wound on his neck had long since healed, it still bothered him at times. His eyes gazed at the snakes wrapped around the woman's arms, noting how lax they were. "...How do you do that?" he asked, "You know, making sure they don't bite?"

He had to wear them because of his alteration? Hannah didn't understand (she hadn't actually noticed he ghosted through her in her panic before). She was more fixated on the chains. He had to sleep in them too? Hannah didn't have it so bad after all.

She wondered if there'd be a way to remove them and help him out, but they looked hefty. You'd need a tool for that.

As the subject turned to Lilith's snakes, Hannah beamed. "Lilly's really nice! I bet they think she's their mama." She tilted her head. "A-and I think I read somewhere that they're really shy... maybe they'll warm up to you too! Um, if you're nice to them, I mean..."

Sidney "Sid" Blackwood
KrGvXbP.jpg

Outfit: [spoili]
WkXuST9.jpg
[/spoili]

Sidney watched as the ghost boy walked away. Maybe she creeped him out. She didn't mean to...

She suddenly became a bit self-conscious of her wings, her eyes lowering to the ground slowly. Maybe she scared him -or maybe it was because she didn't say anything when he said hi to her. She was just surprised by, well, everything about him in general, and a bit scared... and still in shock from the ordeal she had just gone through. Hopefully he didn't think she was ignoring him.

Making a mental note to go back to talk to him later and apologize, the young girl, trying to not be rude and actually answer the plant girl, as well as redeem herself, she slowly, and hesitantly took baby steps closer to her and lowered to her knees, sitting on her heels.

"M... my name is Sidney. I'm new..." She said softly, her voice still dripping sorrow and fear as her tears dried on pink cheeks. Sid wanted to ask for help, like the cat girl said to do this morning. But she didn't want to reach out to a stranger and bother them, or burden them with her questions.

@chaosheart13

Lilith smiled at Soren and lifted her arm as a brownish copper colored snake make it's way down her arm to wrap around her wrist and slither it's body through her fingers. "Though Hannah is right about them naturally being shy, I believe the reason I can handle them so easily is because of the alterations the Ring Master made to me. They can understand me when I talk to them and vise versa." the snake propped itself up on her hand and turn it's small black eyes towards Soren, its small red tongue flickering in and out smelling the air. She hissed softly and the snake relaxed and moved her up lower arm, settling to look like a piece of jewelry. The only indication that it wasn't was the soft breathing. Lilith passed a smile to Hannah. "Why don't you get your supplies Hannah and meet me by the bleachers. I'll work on your hair while you and Soren talk if you like."

Status
Not open for further replies.