Florida Competitive Workforce Act

A

Amaranthe

Original poster
"It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
― Mahatma Gandhi

A few days ago, I joined a lovely diverse club called "Free to be Me" and learned about something I'd never even been involved in or heard of before local LGBT advocacy efforts. In order to get a clearer message across, I will be stating the club's purpose and why I knew this would be a huge stepping stone to becoming a more respectful and diverse community.

Taken directly from the club's constitution, "To create a safe, respectful space for anyone seeking support foror wishing to increase awareness ofpersonal and social troubles resulting from prejudice and discrimination against themselves or their peers due to (actual or perceived) sexual orientation, trans-sex or intersex status, and/or gender identity and expression; to both promote acceptance of those questioning their own, or identifying with, non-normative sex/gender and sexuality, and create a mutually-respectful forum inclusive of all people with diverse ideologies and values for dialogue on issues of social inequality faced by LGBTQ and gender-variant populations; to provide opportunities for both community outreach addressing such inequality, and initiatives for personal growth and cultivation of social responsibility that encourage pro-social attitudes toward equality in a diverse community, nation, and world."

Did you know that currently in Florida it is perfectly legal to fire someone or refuse to hire them simply because they are gay or transgender? I didn't. I've never been involved with, or discussed anything political dealing with LGBT issues. Once I was let in on information about a campaign fighting to stop prejudice and unfairness within Florida, I knew I had to put this out wherever it was possible. As a side note though, this campaign isn't just about helping Florida pass non-discrimination laws against the LGBT community, this is about fulfilling a safe and respectful community of diversity everywhere we go.

No one should ever have to live in fear of losing their job because they freely express themselves by way of non-normative sex/gender and sexuality. That's why I came here. To tell you all that if you sign this campaign, you can make a difference to yourself, your friends, families, and to everyone else who is a part of the LGBT community. Tell your friends, tell your families, and tell your colleagues! We can do this! We can make a difference! Everyone can make a difference!​

I live in Florida.

This is news to me.

And I think this is a pretty basic thing nowadays. But Florida is an odd place when it comes to working. An employer can terminate you for any reason they want and get away with it legally.

There we go. Let's see those thread diggers smite me now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, that's just flat out rude. The problem is that people who aren't part of the LGBT community don't understand what their life is like, especially for those who are transgender. Sexuality is by no means a defining characteristic for me and I wasn't trying to shove it in anyone's face. I saw others around here on the same boat, so that's why I posted this. Like I stated above, signing the campaign can make a difference for everyone.

Not rude, just brutally honest. And you're wrong, I've had friends and family who go through this stuff. No one really bats an eye or cares until its plastered everywhere that they must accept other people's choices as normal when nearly by definition it's not.

I think the problem is the LGBT community constantly thinks they're lives are that much harder for their own choices. Everyone has problems, not everyone needs a massive support group and petitions to tell them it's alright.

That's all just my two cents though. Different strokes for different folks.

inb4 dislikes, smites, and drunken stuff. I wish I was.

I fully admit that I wear my biases on my sleeve but here is what I have to say:

The experience is different for everyone, just because you know some people who go through this and because you personally wouldn't care that does not mean it's plain sailing for everyone.

I have seen first and second hand the bigotry and in some cases worse from people around the world. We are, however, talking about Florida which I know less than nothing about but I can say that there are social biases against anything not "normal" in most cultures and while those barriers are being broken they still pose a problem for people who are open about who they are.

For example a trans* person who hasn't been able to change their name/legal gender yet but lives full time as their chosen identity. Is that throwing their gender identity in peoples' faces when they ask that certain pronouns be used, dress a certain way, and ask that their chosen name be used? Some would say yes, especially if they haven't mastered the art of stealth yet.

It takes a lot of courage to admit who you are, when society expects you to be something different and you've been fighting denial for years. So your sexual preference or gender identity becomes very important to you, you don't have to be selfish to celebrate who you are and how far you've come.

I am for equality and against discrimination wherever and whenever they arise. People should be hired and fired by how they do their jobs, not for who they are or who they want to have sex with.

Amaranthe, did you just Iwakur just to post this?

Plus it's Florida, there is tons of old people. If you don't like it, then move out when you're old enough to.

If you're asking whether or not I joined just to post this, I think you better do your own research before assuming.

To put my own experiences (or rather the two family experiences I've seen) I saw too very different reactions from my father and mothers side of the family. I should add that my parents are divorced so both the families and the two individuals don't mingle at all if it helps my case. My female cousin on my mothers side came out and as far as I knew there was little care. She goes many places with her girlfriend who I have persoanlly met as well.

My male cousin on my fathers side however? He is still hiding the fact from many of the family because they will ostracize him if he does. As weird or funny as it sounds my grandpa could actually die from the stress likely to be given to him if he were to find out. Many people do not suspect him because of his love for the skinhead culture. I don't believe I have ever met his boyfriend at all.

But hey I live in SoCal, and I believe we have a reputation for all of us being super diehard liberal gay surfers so what do I know about Florida? My experience with that state was a trip to Disneyworld when I was like 7. I thought it was against some law to discriminate in the job hiring process anyways, but guess I was wrong about that too (not that people didn't do it anyways).

If you're asking whether or not I joined just to post this, I think you better do your own research before assuming.
Well, people who usually post stuff like this, only post a couple times and then drop dead after awhile.

I'd never thought of it like that. However, I don't believe it's the same for everyone. I've already done more than posting this thread but thanks for the heads-up anyways.

I thought it was against some law to discriminate in the job hiring process anyways.
Florida is an At-Will to work state. They can legally fire you for any reason.

I work for the government and am part of a union, so I'm at no risk for this. But everywhere else it's perfectly legal, and normal, to be terminated with no rhyme or reason. Not just identity.

• Thank You
Reactions: Space Cowboy
I see, thank you for the info! I could see why some may have problems with that system. Feel free to refrain from answering, what are your personal thoughts on the effectiveness of this campaign? Like your thoughts on whether it will be successful?

I see, thank you for the info! I could see why some may have problems with that system. Feel free to refrain from answering, what are your personal thoughts on the effectiveness of this campaign? Like your thoughts on whether it will be successful?
Assuming you mean me, of course.

It could work, it could not. If it requires a House majority to get it passed?

Dream the fuck on.

We had a 58% of 60% required to get medical marijuana legalized. At least some of the old folks agree that they could use it over other medicine. Didn't get passed by a few hundred thousand votes or something.

And any smart employer with a lawyer would simply claim it was at-will to work and leave it at that. Gods know I've been let go for things far less than that.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
I wasn't aware of this before, so I went and did a bit of research. Apparently there have been versions of the Florida Competitive Workforce Act proposed multiple times since 2009, and they've all apparently died at the subcommittee level without ever making it to a vote. It was pushed again at the end of November to be considered in the 2015 legislative session, and currently it's sitting in the same subcommittee that has killed it before, the Civil Justice Subcommittee. I'd suggest that folks living in Florida who care about seeing this bill pass ought to send some letters to the Representatives on the committee, since the personal touch usually works better than signing an online petition.
Not rude, just brutally honest. And you're wrong, I've had friends and family who go through this stuff. No one really bats an eye or cares until its plastered everywhere that they must accept other people's choices as normal when nearly by definition it's not.

I think the problem is the LGBT community constantly thinks they're lives are that much harder for their own choices. Everyone has problems, not everyone needs a massive support group and petitions to tell them it's alright.

That's all just my two cents though. Different strokes for different folks.

inb4 dislikes, smites, and drunken stuff. I wish I was.
Just to be clear here, by "their own choices" what are you referring to? Are you saying that their plastering their sexuality or gender identity or whatnot out in public for everyone to see is a matter of choice, or are you saying the sexuality or gender identity or whatnot is itself a matter of choice?

Just to be clear here, by "their own choices" what are you referring to? Are you saying that their plastering their sexuality or gender identity or whatnot out in public for everyone to see is a matter of choice, or are you saying the sexuality or gender identity or whatnot is itself a matter of choice?
Whatnot out in public. Went to a pride parade once with a friend. Seeing people wearing dildos on their head and stuff made me ask someone: "Aren't you guys looking for acceptance into society as normal and stuff?" The answer was yes of course, they want to be treated equally. "Then why do things to ostracize and segregate yourselves like this?" They got mad, called me a bigot and a racist, despite both of us being white, and left in a huff.

Seemed an honest question.

I'm not getting into that born this way or genetics that way argument. Nope.

Well if the law applies to all reasons then there's no real need to play the LGBT card since it's up to the employers' own biases and not the lawmakers'. I do see it being used as an excuse and I do believe that there should be job security as part of labor laws but that's not really an LGBT issue. Is it?

Reactions: Windsong
Whatnot out in public. Went to a pride parade once with a friend. Seeing people wearing dildos on their head and stuff made me ask someone: "Aren't you guys looking for acceptance into society as normal and stuff?" The answer was yes of course, they want to be treated equally. "Then why do things to ostracize and segregate yourselves like this?" They got mad, called me a bigot and a racist, despite both of us being white, and left in a huff.

Alright, that's totally reasonable. I wasn't looking to start an argument either, just curious which you meant. :lol:
Well if the law applies to all reasons then there's no real need to play the LGBT card since it's up to the employers' own biases and not the lawmakers'. I do see it being used as an excuse and I do believe that there should be job security as part of labor laws but that's not really an LGBT issue. Is it?
Actually, it's not 100% at will employment like that. There are already anti-discrimination laws in effect, and the main such statue prohibits firing people for their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap or mental status; there are other things atop that too, like no firing people for filing a worker's compensation claim, or for filing a claim of the employer failing to pay wages or overtime, or for filing a sexual harassment claim, or for taking medical leave, and so on. It used to be a fully at will employment state, but then laws changed it a bit. They can still absolutely claim any alternative reason they want, such as not performing up to standards or even something stupid like deciding they don't like the employee's middle name, but these exceptions to the at will employment thing make it so people who have been fired for discriminatory reasons can actually do something about it.

They're playing the LGBT card because sexuality and gender identity are currently legal reasons to state for firing someone in Florida under their current laws. A Florida employer could quite literally say "yeah, I just found out my HR people hired you even though you're gay, you're fired for being gay, fuck off" and that would be totally fine under the law. They can't currently do so with something like "wait, they hired a black guy? hahaha, no, get out of my building" without getting absolutely wrecked by the lawsuit to follow. LGBT folks in Florida just want that same thin veneer of protection from employment discrimination that other groups have.

• Thank You
Reactions: Windsong

Ah, this looks like a case of extremist poisoning.
Note by that I mean extremists yelling/going crazy at such a level that it causes the group as a whole to be seen with suspicion.

The vast majority of the LGBT community honestly aren't like this. They are everyday people, living their lives who just happened to have a non-hetero sexual orientation.
Hell, there's probably a ton of them on this site you've talked to but they just never brought up their sexuality.

And honestly I do agree with you in that the "Dildo hat wearing" behaviour is counter-productive.
That being said, it's self-expression and people are free to express themselves anyway they want.
But it would probably help a lot more if these people were honest about it and said "I'm wearing a dildo on my head because I really like sexual things!" rather than "I am wearing a dildo on my head because LGBT!".
Because nothing about being LGBT makes a person want to do stuff like that, and when Pride Parades go around acting like it does it starts to send out mixed messages.

Though as far as Florida and Job's are concerned?
It's basically like others said above, they just want the same protection as others.
But it does need to be noted that Homophobia is more culturally accepted than stuff such as Racism, so hate speech and hate acts against LGBT people are actually more common than a lot of other hate acts.
And although there might be a small percentage of people who milk their sexuality for sympathy and attention, the majority are actually facing very real hate and discrimination from others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thought Manifest
It it's just public opinion, legal sympathy, and precedent that sets race away from sexual orientation then changing the law won't fix it. We have to made ourselves heard and understood just like those of color did decades ago. We have to make our stand and earn protection like they did... yes the law CAN be used that way but demanding special treatment under is not equality. Better idea to revise the law to include all unreasonable reasons for hiring someone, but then it won't really am at will state, would it?

Your American laws confuse me...

Laws and what people personally think aren't the same thing.

Such as with Martin Luther King did for the "Coloured" people.
They didn't get treated completely fairly upon the laws being made.
Hate, bias and discrimination were still existent with people for a long time.

Which is largely the same issue the LGBT community in some areas are dealing with today.
While in other areas they haven't even passed the legal barrier yet.