Flames in the Night

"Yes," he grunted and went over to his wash bin. He put his hand in the water, submerging it all the way. "Would you mind using that rag to wipe it. Gently, please," he said, his teeth gritted against the pain.

She moved suddenly as if startled, and rushed over to him, grabbing the rag on the way. Gently, but firmly, she grabbed his hand and patted at the burn with a tender expertise. "You needn't have hurt yourself to prove a point Alexander.."

"You didn't seem to believe me," he gritted his teeth at the pain, though the water would help heal it. "It was the only way I could think of at the moment."

"Oh Alexander... You didn't have to go and harm yourself.." She tutted quietly and continued to work on his arm with a tender confidence that said she knew very well what she was doing. "I do believe you, I'm just not sure what to make of it."

He let out a long breath as the pain lessened. "I am fine," he assured her. "But I think we must leave soon. The church will surely begin hunting for witches. If they happen to discover this," he looked down at his hand. "My kind will be endanger'd."

Felicia looked at his wound, hesitant to stop tending to it, and then slowly passed her golden eyes around his small house. "I don't foresee it being safe for me to return to my own house and retrieve my things.." She sighed softly. Not that there were many things she particularly needed from the house -- nothing special or personal, -- she had just hoped to return for food and traveling items. Unfortunately, returning to the town sounded like a death wish at the moment.

"I will shift into an animal and go check the town. If no one is awake, I will scratch the ground twice, and you will follow me," he told her. "You will know it is I. I have red eyes - you've seen them. And I will be all black. It is the same colors as my dragon form." He flexed and relaxed his hand, frowning down at it. "Stay here, and do not open the door for anyone but me," he instructed her.

Suddenly, he began to shrink out of his clothes. A black cat was in his place, slinking out of his clothes and shaking its fur. He looked up at her and let out a mew before going to sit by the door, waiting patiently for her to open it.

She watched him as his shrank in his clothes and crawled out of them. Instinctively she picked them up on her way to the door. Opening it for him, she watched as he padded out. Upon closing the door, Felicia turned and folded Alexander's clothes, setting them on the foot of his bed. I can't believe that I'm not in shock about what's going on right now..

He mewed back at her before she shut the door and ran off towards the village. He made his eyes change to a normal green color before he got within sight. Looking around, he saw no one walking around. He listened carefully for anyone who might be stirring around in their homes, but heard nothing. Just to make sure, he passed by every house. Satisfied that no one would wake up if she came into the village, he ran back to his cottage, letting his eyes turn their true red color. He mewed and scratched twice at the door.

Upon hearing the scratches, Felicia bundled up her cloak and pulled her hood low over her face before opening the door and seeing the red-eyed kitty-Alexander on the ground before her. "It is safe?"

He nodded and scratched at the floor twice, just like he said he would. He stood and turned back to lead the way for her. He listened intently, his ears pricked and moved towards each sound that was made. They made it to her door without incident, and he sat outside of it, looking up at her.

She quickly opened the door to her house and slipped in, making sure to allow time for Alexander to come in if he so wished. Immediately Felicia grabbed a bag from her bedside and began to move around her small home putting knick-nacks into her bag before getting to the cupboard. Grabbing a small handkerchief she wrapped up a few baked goods and tucked them away as well before finally adjusting the bag around her shoulder so that it sat at her hip and under her cloak. She then turned to the cat. "Alright I am ready."

Alek did follow her inside and waited by the window, watching the outside. When she said she was ready, he nodded and hopped down onto the floor and went to the door. He jumped up and turned the handle, pushing the door open and landed smoothly on his feet. He was glad the humans were still sleeping.

He padded out of the village, walking alongside her and keeping a sharp eye out.

Felicia stayed just a few steps behind him. Her own golden eyes were shifting nervously back and forth as she followed him.

Alek sped up as they exited the city, his small legs trotting along the trail. His tail was raised in the air, showing his relaxation. No one had caught sight of them. They were safe for now.

As soon as they reached the edge of town she visibly relaxed and moved up next to him. "What happens now? I don't know much of the area outside of town.."

He went back to his cottage and hopped up by his clothes. He mewed at her, his paw making a circle in the air so she'd turn around. No need to see him naked while he got back into his clothes. Once she was turned around, he quickly changed and shifted back. "There we go. You can turn around now," he informed her, flexing his sore hand after he finished fixing his clothes. He grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder, looking at her. "Would you like to come with me? I'll be going west, where there aren't many Americans. The Indians are more accepting of my kind, or so I hear. I will not be able to tell for sure until we come across a tribe."

Felicia gazed off to the side as she thought over his suggestion. "Out west huh? It sounds interesting... Are they really more accepting?" She was nervous about the idea but it had to be better than what waited for her in the village.

"I certainly hope so," he said as he pulled a cloak on and walked out the door with her. "Stay close, Miss Felicia. We will rest tomorrow evening. Unless you would rather ride the back of a dragon."

As they exited his dwelling she pulled her cloak tightly around her body and low over her face. "Considering I've never even ridden a horse, I don't know how good of an idea that would be." She giggled softly at the idea of her soaring through the skies on a dragon. The thought instinctively made her wonder if her perceptions of what a dragon looked like were actually accurate.