Favourite characters who aren't your own

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
When I was 12 I had a crush on the Joker for 6 years, lol... (B:TAS + New Adventures)

As of now, I've never gotten so into a fandom I was a huge fan of any particular one. There are a lot I like from things I watch, but none that stick out as THE one. I guess currently the show I'm most glued to is GoT, so I guess... Daenerys? >_>;; I'm uh, wary of having a "favorite character" in GoT, obviously, lol.

There are of course exceptions to the rule, but for the most part I enjoy characters who embrace their humanity. It's a kind of mental strength that I think gets pushed to aside often even in real life. It's easy to attack an enemy, it's hard to forgive one.

I think the most notable character that first gave me this insight toward this character preference was Himura Kenshin. He's an ex-assassin struggling to live with the repercussions of his recent, bloody past. He vows never to kill again and strictly adheres to this rule even when it's just easier to just kill the aggressor. He uses a sword with an inverted blade so that it may be used as a strictly defensive weapon. His perseverance in his atonement to me is truly remarkable.

The Doctor from Doctor Who is another favorite of mine, who has many times offered forgiveness toward his enemies, even to his longest rival, The Master. It doesn't always pan out, but the fact that the Doctor tries reasoning with his opponents first is enough to keep me watching a +800 episode show and that must count for something.

Lestat de Lioncourt is one of my favorites, if not the favorite character from a written series. His first couple of stories are kind of whatever, but it was early on and Anne Rice has even admitted that it was a growing process for her. But these last couple of books she's come out with(Prince Lestat onward) are phenomenal takes on the character. Due to the circumstances of the previous books he is given a leadership position of sorts (not a spoiler, it's the title lol). He hates it, but he knows that he's in a rare position that he can help bring his kind into a better era, and make them less of the monstrous depictions from vampire stories. His acceptance of the role is not one of power or power-seeking, but one of love for his fellows. Even when he is pressed by his advisers to put his foot down, he instead logics through other solutions, always looking for the best outcomes for all parties. Where many of his other companions have hardened over the years, he has stayed open-minded and emotional. I honestly could probably gush about him forever, so I'll stop there. My vampires sparkle when they throw glitter on themselves.

I also have too many to list, but my main man is Scooby Doo. He is my favorite to play and he is my first favorite character. I just love him when I was a kid and still do. I write Scooby fanfictions, I have put him in impossible scenarios, but it is always fun to play him.

Did I hear… best?

Jokes and "Ha, Renegade Shepard is such an arsehole" aside, he really is my favourite character from any medium and maybe even an idol. Of course this depends on how you play him / her, so to some extent he may be your own character, but it's still Shepard. My Shepard's story was one of utter stubbornness, one of refusing to give up in the face of staggering odds and one of comradery. Regardless what choices you make, Shepard gets shit done and serves as a paragon (yes, I know) to show that there is nothing that they can't overcome.

0.jpg

Long John Silver, both from the book as well as the show Black Sails. I just love the way he's supposed a baddie but his warm words and silver tongue just charm you into loving him no matter what sort of nasties he may have done.

Plus look at that lovely hair.

PrinceOfPersia4_Multi_Ed009.jpg

This fellow aka Prince of Persia (from the 2008 version)

He's like... the poster child for funny handsome and charming rogue. I love his witty banter, his harmless flirting, his cool acrobatic cat/monkey like moves. He's just so much fun to play.

Vox Machina from critical role

I am happy to say Junkrat has been added to my roster of favorite characters. At least for the moment. He's a bit different from my usual, but there's nothing wrong with that. He's just...well, unique. It started off as a cosplay suggestion from a friend that just sort of grew overtime, and now he's my safe pick for Overwatch. I've also delved into a bit of fanfiction and I found that there are a number of authors who like to worldbuild with "normal" Junker lifestyles and culture and it is fascinating. It kind of makes me want to write a bit of the culture as well. But awk! I have a lot of other creative writings that need to be worked on and finished.

The dilemmas of fandom versus real life.