2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Do you have a favourite character from literature? From a movie? From a TV show? Share them here with all the reasons that make them the best in your eyes!

VASH. THE. STAM. PEEEEEDE.

aa44ca7651149ae59d742209cb259862.gif

I've talked about this character and this series so many times in GC threads before that I'm honestly not even sure what to add. XD

He's a cinnamon roll who deserves better. Life constantly shits on him and yet he just... keeps on going, never losing sight of his values or his goals in life. And everyone tells him that he's stupid and naive for the beliefs that he has, but he never lets any of that get to him. It's inspiring to watch, and it makes me think a lot about the person that I strive to be. Not only that, but Vash has honestly helped me through some of the darkest points in my life -- the details of which wouldn't be appropriate to discuss here, I don't think, but uh, just take my word for it: I think I would be in a very different place in life -- and possibly not even here at all -- if Vash never had an impact on my life.

Jason Todd

His life is/was shit, he got handed a great opportunity and life shat all over him a second time by killing him. Now he's back and his "family" doesn't like him and excludes him a lot. He has to deal with a bunch of personal issues, but he somehow makes do. Especially with witty comebacks.

The character is portrayed two ways, one is the more popular angsty killer guy, and the other is the "I am dealing with a bunch of shit but I'm still managing decently somehow" guy. I like the latter the most. That's why I really enjoyed the New 52 comic run of him. So far the Rebirth version of him is along the same lines.

Dick Grayson
read-comics-about-dick-grayson-reading-comics-in-nightwing-10-preview_1.jpg

To make a long story short, out of a huge family of people dealing with a bunch of mental problems, he seems to be the most mentally and emotionally stable. He has an inner strength that is envious.

Zidane Tribal from FF9
latest

His Dissidia design is way cooler than his FF9 design.
To be honest I have no idea why I like this guy as much as I do. First childhood crush maybe? Made me realize I really have a thing for people with tails? His character design is cool? Could be anything tbh.

I guess those are the only ones of note for me currently.

Last edited:
Just gonna leave this here...

328e5d10bcc45c4d7815e265006a50d8.jpg

Kakashi is just the embodiment of cool, was practically my idol growing up. What I love most about him is how casual, lazy, and eccentric he is and then knowing this is his response to a horrible past. He used to be some edgy little kid, bit of a jerk who was constantly a lone wolf that never really cared for anyone else. But thanks to a particular goofball who was a complete contrast, Kakashi became a lot more relaxed, motivated for others. And I just absolutely love him.

There is another that probably everyone who knows him, hates him. And I'll likely be frowned upon for mentioning the name but... guess I'll be brave and just say it. [spoili]Alois Trancy.
a3161ea58562f5bb4ca53d33ae332f6d.jpg
He's... definitely an odd one. Most people would be content to label him a spoiled, sadistic brat and are thoroughly ecstatic with his death. So why do I like him?

Well, probably for that exact reason. Everyone hates Alois. Completely detests him, both the audience and characters. While denying his more troublesome qualities would be a lie, he doesn't deserve what he gets. Alois was horribly tortured into the person we see, to the point where his ultimate goal in life is to be devoured by a demon just so he can know somebody actually wanted him for him. But even then, the demon doesn't even want him! The story, while rather convoluted, reinforces this. He goes to quite the lengths to steal another person's soul just so he can know what it's like to be wanted, to have a soul that isn't "trash."

Though most of his actions are all derivative from his desire to impress the demon, who really couldn't care less. Alois does some rather violent, horrible things just to get an ounce of attention. But even then, nothing. I actually do adore him, for some (not all) of these actions, quirks just because of how "free" he seems. While most of his exploits are attention-seeking, Alois seems perfectly content to act batshit insane, and just doesn't care. Meanwhile, I'd rather die from a heart attack than converse with someone in-person... That carefree attitude, it's something I really wish I could express.

What's extra awful is he, technically, isn't even canon. He was introduced as a main character for a 2nd season that's already been over-written and ignored, so his existence in that universe is basically null and void (the very same setting where he was universe-ally detested, tortured, and killed...). A lot of people think of him as purely this rotten kid, but at the end of the season we see how perfectly normal he could have been. It just isn't fair, all of the negative stigma he gets.

Also - he can dance:
c75ba59ed534272f279bd8b5d6aaf2f1-d6mcxty.gif

Olé!​
[/spoili]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Aero Blue and Vars
You done opened Pandora's Box now! Oh well here goes.

giphy.gif

Let's start with Revy from Black Lagoon. Arguably one of the most badass females in anime! She's all kinds of fucked up and indeed very flawed but that's what makes her so great in the first place. With a past like hers, who can blame her? I really love her character development throughout the series which is mostly thanks to Rock balancing her out and it's also ironic as well.

Sophitia Alexandra from Soul Calibur

maxresdefault.jpg

When I first played Soul Calibur 2 on my uncle's Xbox, Sophitia was the first character I used and she's been my main ever since. She's a tragic heroine done a bit too well and I will never forgive Namco for excluding her from Soul Calibur 5! DAMN YOU NAMCO!! Bring her back! And bring back Cassandra too while you're at it!

Tina Armstrong from Dead Or Alive

latest

Such a sexy southern belle isn't she? She's been my main since the beginning and it hasn't changed! I love Tina for her confidence and endless capacity to dream as well as her relationship with her father which I think most girls can relate to :P

• Love
Reactions: Aero Blue
Zaheer - Legend of Korra Series.
of
I'll probably get a lot flack for this: But I think Zaheer is a far better antagonist than Fire Lord Ozai. He isn't a tyrannical, deceitful asshole, an evil entity hell bent on destruction or a narcissistic overly governing military leader. He's a guy with an iron will, an ideology that is actually not evil and a group of likeminded followers and friends. To me he is a a fantastic antagonist, and yet not completely a villain. While his methods are extreme, his ideology isn't, it's just mainly how he perceives it. I love Henry Rollins as his voice, it's perfect. Each Main "Villain" of the LoK Series has been far more interesting than Fire Lord Ozai. They all embody potentially good ideologies taken to the extreme. Amon was equality, Unalaq was spirituality, Zaheer was freedom, and Kuvira was order and stability. Though imo Zaheer was the one that was handled the best.

Father/The Dwarf In The Flask - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

One of my favourite Anime Villains by a long shot. There's something so intriguing about him. He turned his arrogance, his greed, his glutton, his lust, pride, sloth and wrath as extensions of his character as a way to be "better" than humans. He also wants to become god too, because anime! I joke, I think in most shonens, Father is probably the better written and more interesting main villain there is. Plus he's a badass, and that always helps in selling a villain too. Why I love him, is that he's just a mass of walking contradictions, by saying he has removed all his desires to be perfect, yet he egregiously indulges them to the point of no return. His goal to become perfection ultimately destroyed every positive aspect and potential goodness about him, and the fact he does not see that in the end, makes him a rather tragic character by the end of it.

I'll add more, but really, these are the two I wanted to talk about the most since I love villains.

Jean Luc Picard from Star Trek TNG!
giphy.gif

Picard stands up for what is right, constantly walking the line between his duty as a Starfleet Captain and to the prime directive and his own morality that doesn't deal in absolutes, meant to adapt to new situations. Picard shoulders the responsibilities of captain and diplomat. His actions are always deliberated upon, and even after the situation is resolved, he reflects upon those actions. He has a very high personal standard, a standard for his crew to aspire to.

He's not perfect. He was a reckless youth, but it was through this past that Picard made mistakes because he was willing to take risks. There is a personal struggle within. He knows the burdens of command, but the pain still lingers inside him because of lives lost under his command. Being assimilated into the Borg especially haunts him.

His feats are many. The omnipotent entity Q claimed that he could visit Picard just to listen to his speeches. One such speech saved humanity from being wiped out from existence by the Q under a mock trial. He has repelled Borg invasions. He has defused political situations. He was the Arbiter of Succession during a critical time in Klingon politics. There are other examples I could name, but you might as well watch the series.

Doug Stamper from House of Cards (the US Netflix series, not the old British one it's loosely based on). He's a fascinatingly fucked up character.

The main thing that makes Stamper an amazing character is that he's one of the most human monsters I've ever seen in any form of fiction. This is in contrast to Frank Underwood, his boss and mentor, who is a larger than life monster who only needs some superhuman powers to be accurately called a supervillain. Where Underwood puts forth a rather inhuman and emotionless and mysterious facade, Stamper is 100% emotional and mostly transparent human. It's so much fun to watch him have crises of conscience because sometimes he does the awful things anyway and sometimes he doesn't. A lot of villains have the issue of feeling like they have pretend conscience issues because they *always* do whatever is in their self interest, but that isn't Doug Stamper.

I could give a bunch of spoiler-filled examples, but I'm typing on my phone and too lazy for that. 8D

Reactions: Jess Incognito
giphy.gif

Picard stands up for what is right, constantly walking the line between his duty as a Starfleet Captain and to the prime directive and his own morality that doesn't deal in absolutes, meant to adapt to new situations. Picard shoulders the responsibilities of captain and diplomat. His actions are always deliberated upon, and even after the situation is resolved, he reflects upon those actions. He has a very high personal standard, a standard for his crew to aspire to.

He's not perfect. He was a reckless youth, but it was through this past that Picard made mistakes because he was willing to take risks. There is a personal struggle within. He knows the burdens of command, but the pain still lingers inside him because of lives lost under his command. Being assimilated into the Borg especially haunts him.

His feats are many. The omnipotent entity Q claimed that he could visit Picard just to listen to his speeches. One such speech saved humanity from being wiped out from existence by the Q under a mock trial. He has repelled Borg invasions. He has defused political situations. He was the Arbiter of Succession during a critical time in Klingon politics. There are other examples I could name, but you might as well watch the series.

Picard is best captain.

Flame war begins.

I love how he makes diplomacy seem exciting

Never really understood why the TNG movies wanted to make him an action hero

As he once said in Star Trek: Nemesis: "Remember when we used to be explorers?"

Reactions: foodforpigs
Geralt of Rivia, because he's sexy, duh. (

But nah - Going back in my reading history -

I really loved Tetsuo from Akira, which I finally read this last spring. I know he's kinda sorta a villain, but his character was the most fleshed out to me in that series and the one who ends up becoming the most dynamic. He is the driver of the mood of the story in a lot of ways. A lot of the big plot turns are other characters reacting to him.
He was always just looking for something better. Plus, there's a series of pages near the end of the last volume dedicated to Tetsuo's 'life before his eyes' flashback that are hands down the best graphic novel pages I've ever read/looked at/experienced. And, no, you can't just look at those pages, because they don't mean much unless you're knee deep in the storyline.

@Jorick
Stamper is a good one! Damn those writers for making me feel things for not nice characters.
Great example of a lurking, totally necessary supporting character.

Reactions: Jorick
Geralt of Rivia, because he's sexy, duh. (

But nah - Going back in my reading history -

I really loved Tetsuo from Akira, which I finally read this last spring. I know he's kinda sorta a villain, but his character was the most fleshed out to me in that series and the one who ends up becoming the most dynamic. He is the driver of the mood of the story in a lot of ways. A lot of the big plot turns are other characters reacting to him.
He was always just looking for something better. Plus, there's a series of pages near the end of the last volume dedicated to Tetsuo's 'life before his eyes' flashback that are hands down the best graphic novel pages I've ever read/looked at/experienced. And, no, you can't just look at those pages, because they don't mean much unless you're knee deep in the storyline.

@Jorick
Stamper is a good one! Damn those writers for making me feel things for not nice characters.
Great example of a lurking, totally necessary supporting character.
But Geralt IS sexy.

And even sexier in the novels.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jess Incognito
I've always loved Aramis from the movie version of the Three Musketeers as played by Keifer Sutherland. sad and tortured and just perfect.

And sorry, but Mr. Darcy has always made my mind scream for joy.

Also, Jonas in the Giver...wonderful character!

• Love
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie and Nav
I'll pick one from a bunch of mediums.

Anime/Manga: I'll echo Revy and Rock from Black Lagoon. Strangely compelling interplay and character work from a series that is mostly regarded for action scenes and John-Woo gunplay. A more or less remorseless killer's (largely unsuccessful) attempt to prevent an unhinged former desk-job type (with a latent affinity for the underworld) from descending into the blood and blood-politics of Roanapur. Also, debate-ably the greatest kiss in Anime history, and it's not even a kiss.

Comics: Hawkeye (Clint Barton) is, far as I'm concerned, the quintessential Avenger. The redeemed everyman. Matt Fraction's work with him (and nuHawkeye, rich bitch with a heart Kate Bishop) in the 2011(?) run is both filled with emotion and levity, and frankly it's probably the best solo Marvel (I guess duo) run in the past decade.

Novel: ilikeremuslupinalot

Shows: I have an insane crush on Nicky from Orange is the New Black.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nav
Blanc, Nepgear, Vert, and Rom from Hyperdimension Neptunia series
Blanc I like, because of well... Partially because the quick snap between calm, quiet, to OH ***** YOU GONNA DIE ****** and partially because her calm quiet side I sort of identify with, I think. I dunno.
Nepgear.... I dunno.... thinking about it... part of it is some pitty.. (she has to pick up the slack that her sister leaves because Neptune is a good-for-nothing slacker a lot of the time) but her 'I'll do my best. I don't know if I can do it, but I'll do my best." additude, I guess.
Vert, from her more mature, yet at times childish personality. Plus... gamergirl and... bouncies. *cough* Imeanwut? *cough*
Rom.... because.... ADORABLE! MUST PROTECT! MUST PROTECT!
Honourable mention to Iris Heart, because well.... whenever Plutie goes Iris Heart.... uuuusuuuaaallyyy..... I go 'YESSS YESSSS LET'S SEE THAT FEAR!'
Although i would NOT wanna meet her in person. Because I'm not into that stuff. as far as I know.

Chiaki Nanami, Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu, Akane Owari from Danganronpa 2
Chiaki because she has that adorableness to her, partially because of the gamerness yes, and well... she just has a sorta... innocence to her...

Fuyuhiko because well.... spoilers stuff for his free time events/past... ch3 start I think...? been a while.
Basically.... Tough guy exterior, sweet/caring on the inside. Basically a.... Tsungire(?) (Like a Tsundere, but not loveydovey towards the person) This stuff gets revealed through his FTE and shown in the game once you can access them IIRC.
Akane Owari, because of her energetic attitude towards stuff.
Despiiiite her being kinda.... lacking in intelligence.
paaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrt of it is admittedly because of a shared VA to Blanc. Same thing with Chiaki and Nepgear... >.> (Eng VAs anyways. Yes. I'm one of those that prefer games in eng. dub.)

Rena Ryuuguu from Higurashi no naku koro ni. Cute one moment, crazy the next. (Dunno why that twosidedness appeals to me... >.>; )

Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière (Zero No Tsukaima)
Nymph (sora no otoshimono)
Both because I'm Tsundere-loving trash. (or was when I watched those series.... since Noire/Uni from neptunia are.. meh...?)

'Mutsumi-senpai' (Don't remember his given name lol only by that because of what he's called in the series), Shinomiya Both from Kiss him not me.
Mutsumi- TOO INNOCENT. ADORABLE CINNAMON ROLL. Basically. He is VERY understanding and tolerable of the otaku-ness that Kae gives the group... and well.. has an adorable naivety to him... (when asked if he loved her at one point, early on he said yes, and that he loved the whole group.)
He deserves better than Kae...... KAE. STOP NEGLECTING HIM. KEEP YOURSELF UNDER CONTROL GIRL. GOING TO THAT EVENT INSTEAD OF WITH HIM TO HIS GRANDFATHER'S GRAVE ON THE MONTHIVERSARY OF HIS GRANDFATHER'S DEATH (which was planned first) AND NEGLECTING HIM IN EXCHANGE FOR THE RETURN OF AN ANIME CHARACTER IS A NONO. BAD
*cough* well then...THAT turned out more ranty than I expected....
if it wasn't for those more recent chapters... well, then Kae would probs be on this list too... buuut..... yeahhh.......
Shinomiya... because well... can't help but root for the underdog....

SWEAbriged!Kirito. Because hilarity.

I... can't think of any non-weeby examples. o.o;
*shot*

There we go. Complete this time.... It got all wonky and musta accitently pressed tab a few times or something because I remember pressing spacebar and it postin on me.... >.>

Too many!

My newest favorite character:

600.jpg

Mad Sweeney from American Gods. I won't go into the whole looks thing. (He is pretty yummy though. >_>) I think the thing I like best is the weird sense of loyalty that he has. You can see that it eats him up, but then there's moments where you see that he wants to change the story, but he knows the odds are already against him. Plus, I love a guy with an Irish accent.

SWEAbriged!Kirito. Because hilarity.
Klein, also know as.... (wait, are we allowed to write lewd words in gen chat? screw it. He's Klein. nuff said) along with every single other character in SWEAbridged, Kayaba especially. That animé actually improved thanks to SWE, same for the characters. But Klein's great.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Currently?

Canach from Guild Wars 2. So much sass. So mouthy. So stubborn. <3

Perf from JourneyQuest and Rincewind from the Discworld series. Both are fumbling wizard/sorcerer types with enough pessimism and sarcasm to last a lifetime and a half.

• Nice Execution!

If you haven't seen this video, you should. It gives me all the Picard feels. :')

Reactions: foodforpigs