Favorite Villains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nox from Wakfu.

1405925208537.png

I dare you to find me a better, more wretched example of tragic villain in todays media.

His entire arc has such a magnificent ending that you feel empty. The heroes win, but so what. It was just, perfect

• Love
Reactions: Skyswimsky
Since no one's mentioned it yet: Kevin from Welcome to Night Vale.

Just hearing his voice is fucking terrifying, which is weird, given the fact that he's supposed to sound so... pleasant, but, the fact that he just sounds so... nice is kind of what's off-putting about him. I remember feeling a bit on-edge listening to him even during his first appearance in The Sandstorm, before it was made clear that he's actually a complete monster behind that friendly facade. After that? Yeah... I physically tense up whenever I hear Kevin's voice coming out of nowhere, especially if the episode starts off with him. @_@

Actually, Kevin isn't even the only thing that has that vibe; pretty much anything connected to all that -- Strexcorp, Desert Bluffs, "The Smiling God", etc -- all of it's just so... unsettling. Even before it's clear that some fucked up stuff is happening, there's just something about the vibe that all of it gave off that was just... creepy.

Which is impressive, given the fact that Night Vale is pretty much supposed to be completely horrifying, but in a casual, not-actually-scary sort of way. I don't know how the writers are so good at making the actual bad things just feel worrying, making it clear that it's not just another joke. I seriously don't know what the difference is, since it's not like the delivery from the VA's really seems to change much, it's just... yeah, I don't even know.

That's all a bit off-topic, but, yeah, Kevin's the best example of the most legitimately terrifying Night Vale antagonist. Just hearing him talk is just so nope.

Oh, and to any of you reading this who aren't familiar with Night Vale: it's audio only, meaning, no visuals. It's easy to pull off the whole so-friendly-it's-creepy thing visually, but, just hearing the voice alone... yeah, I don't know how they do it. @_@

I actually remember listening to the climax of the Strexcorp/Kevin arc while I was doing laundry (with headphones in). Mind you, this was in a dorm building, with a big laundry room that lots of other people use, so... yeah, that was a mistake -- just trying to do my laundry until I freeze up with a horrified look on my face as suddenly 100% of my attention is on the podcast -- yeah... the people around me were probably... worried. XD

Reactions: K3l
My favorite villain will probably have to be Jack of Blades from fable

4221420-8720030726-41985.jpg

I'm not even sure why I like him as a villain so much. I guess it's because he's evil with no strings attached, but he's also no nonsense. Generally I dislike manipulative villains who manipulated an entire heroes life, but I think this guy does it right. Probably because it was done very believably. (I think so anyway)
He pretty much spent most of his life working out his plan, carefully going step by step and setting up Scarlet Robe's children for their destiny. It also helps that he isn't exactly human too. But I agree, he's a great villain with a gr8 voice(original one, not the generic evil sounding one he got in Lost Chapters)

So my 3 fave villains are down below. No particular order and these are the ones I've been thinking about this week, it might change in the next week, or month. Also Spoiler alert.

#3: Anton Chigurh - No Country For Old Men.

The guy is a sinister bastard that seems to just "do" his job, no matter if he enjoys it or not. He's very well written, plus Javier Bardem's performance was nigh on perfect too, easily one of my top. He's also an intelligent character written intelligently, not having his smartness treated like a superpower. The coin toss scene, is probably one of my favourite scenes in the movie.

#2: Char Aznable - Mobile Suit: Gundam

The Red Comet, iconic villain from the Gundam series and the progenitor of the Red Comet Trope that Gundam has used over and over again lmao. Besides that he's probably one of the better characters; Charismatic, vengeful and superbly skilled, often believing that it comes down to skill purely, and uses common Mobile Suits(Though he technically has custom made mobile suits tho) to battle Amuro on par. He's cool and has a cool mask too.

#1: Gehrman - Bloodborne

I know Bloodborne isn't much for traditional storytelling moments, preferring a very subtle and deep rooted lore based thing for why the world is as it is. Gehrman though, he's a tragic character, very tragic and very symphathetic, though he could well be misleading you into committing some evil acts all for the sake of "The Hunt."

This thread suffers from a serious lack of--

DOOM.
Victor_von_Doom_%28Earth-616%29_from_Thor_Vol_1_600.jpg

latest

4717027-1955777208-docto.jpg

Reactions: Brovo
The Joker- Comic Books, Movies, Video Games, etc.

I see him as the most iconic villian of all time, due to the fact that he does not care.

He does what he wants just because, whether it ends up hurting him or not. He's in it for the fun and the laughter.

He has no rules.

And who can deny the beautiful friendship between him and Bats?

And all of those awesome quotes. I mean c'mon. Seriously. Who could offer up such iconic quotes other than Joker himself?

Plus... in the end... I think one question we should all ask ourselves is...

Why so serious?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mvcqkjPnHT1rqdkhao3_250.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brovo
This thread suffers from a serious lack of--

DOOM.
Victor_von_Doom_%28Earth-616%29_from_Thor_Vol_1_600.jpg

latest

4717027-1955777208-docto.jpg
Didn't the newest movie make him some sort of e-blogger?

I think we all can guess who mine is.

yMRAckb.gif

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I have quite a few on top of my head! And probably more anyways...

Shogo Makishima from Psycho-Pass, while he was ultimately just some pitiful milk boy that cried for attention he is very literate and artistic. Also in one scene he actually kicks ass and, being one of the older good works from Urobutcher, kills one of the main girls friends in front of her.

Count Saazbaum from Aldnoah.Zero, as terrible as the entire show was, he was a character I really fucking hated at the start but really loved in the end! I can't really explain why, it simply happened... .

Dr. Ver from Symphogear, while the anime got worse and worse, he was cool enough of a dude to be recycled for no other sake but fangasm hype. Also he is probably the only one who sees himself as a hero rather than a baddie. He basically goes around wanting to be recognized (oh what a surprise) and be noted down in history for all eternity, he got a mad-scientist laugh going for himself too. He isn't really outstanding but I still enjoyed him.

Maou from G-Senjou no Maou, I might be a bit biased because that was my first VN I read and that's ages ago, but he is simply, well, a bad guy and the way how he gets shit done is simply a good read. He is just... really solid.

Saya from Saya no Uta, because our Cthulu-loli-deity that plans to turn the entire planet into some hellspawn deserves a spot.

Majorita from Disgaea 5, now, Story-wise, that game is a pile of tropes crap, but I really, really hated her and even after she, as mandatory in every other Disgaea, joined me in the postgame I continue to despise that bitch. Idc if you got some sob sob sad childhood, I fucking hate you. Basically she wants a 'Utopia' and helps the antagonist out who promises her said Utopia, she is kind of a necromancer and kills as she pleases while enjoying to torture other people.

Luca Blight from Suikoden II, I only started that game a while ago and while he isn't even the end-boss (but kinda main antagonist) he just reks. He is an asshole, evil and just a human and you take shitload of effort to actually take this guy down.

Asakim Dowin from Super Robot Wars. Now, he, or should I say it? is just another being with a super edgy background. In one of the games he pretty much mind-breaks a heroine. He basically kills her friends in front of her, rape is implied too! And later on through alternate dimension shenanigans he manages that said heroine meets with the murdered characters and they are actually hostile against her. I also like his mech and theme :3

Also since @Hellis mentioned Nox, Qilby deserves a honorable mention too! Funnily enough I'm going to attend the German Krosmaster Championship next week :P

EDIT:
How could I forget Melvin from Yugioh abridged?! Easily best villain ever.

Quilby is nowhere near as good tho. He is a generic maglomaniac.

Status
Not open for further replies.