Fantasy RPG Character Preferences

Having played a lot of tabletop and fantasy type roleplays I try to play different types of characters in order to keep my RP fresh and interesting. (When all you have is a hammer...)

I suppose the one type I do tend to avoid are pure magic users. They have just never been my preference. I am willing to mix magic in to enhance their flavor, but no not 100%.

My preferred type if you would is usually a lighter armored character that is either softening up targets or manipulating the field some other way tactically speaking. Their personalities and motivations always tend to vary though, usually towards a "chaotic" sort of bent. As far as good, evil, or other tropes are concerned I prefer tricksters who do things for their own amusement, but usually find some reason to help others or include them in the fun (willingly, knowingly or otherwise).

I like having twists on established "classes", whether through personality of the character or abilities. For instance, I have a human cleric by the name of Sir Rodrick Lerrian who became somewhat of a meme in my small chatplay group because of the way he epitomises the term Lawful Stupid; taking the word sinner and the concept of a sin far too literally. To Rodrick, everyone is a sinner in the most literal sense possible, and he'll sometimes refuse to heal other party members as a result. Lawful Stupid indeed.

Also, twists on old legends are cool. I took the King Midas myth and turned it into a rather sadistic, slightly unhinged, greedy as all get out vampire assassin. She doesn't need payment, she'll just turn your dead body to solid gold and sell it.

If non humans exist, I usually plays one, but it also depends on the lore behind them. Usually my char always able to do magic to certain degree.

Berserkers are a great go-to for glass cannon brutes. Just rather than the range of an archer you have to rely on intimidation. This doesn't have to be a dumb brute either, but one who picks their fights and is conciously deciding whether to unleash or reign in their inner beast. Simply the virtue of being over 2 metres tall and muscle-bound can win you a lot of fights with nothing but the threat of violence. Fear is a very powerful tool and we understand it instinctively.

Half-naked men in wolfskin who run into your spears just to smash your head in, even at the cost of their own lives, can absolutely decimate the morale of your soldiers. That sheer risk of death despite your army likely winning the battle otherwise, is something that can create opportunities for other characters as well.
Good points! Intimidation plays a big role in battles, as does bluffing if done well enough. If the opposition thinks they can't win, then they're likely to retreat in order to preserve their own soldiers and resources. I especially enjoy glass cannon brutes who threaten others and wind up getting really beaten up--whether they've won or lost.

Of course, I really enjoy cunning and/or intellectual brutes. It's refreshing to see these types of characters, as they tend to break the mold that most brute characters are shaped in. There's nothing wrong with reckless or unintelligent brutes, though.

Having played a lot of tabletop and fantasy type roleplays I try to play different types of characters in order to keep my RP fresh and interesting. (When all you have is a hammer...)

I suppose the one type I do tend to avoid are pure magic users. They have just never been my preference. I am willing to mix magic in to enhance their flavor, but no not 100%.

My preferred type if you would is usually a lighter armored character that is either softening up targets or manipulating the field some other way tactically speaking. Their personalities and motivations always tend to vary though, usually towards a "chaotic" sort of bent. As far as good, evil, or other tropes are concerned I prefer tricksters who do things for their own amusement, but usually find some reason to help others or include them in the fun (willingly, knowingly or otherwise).
Diversity is useful. If you can break away from playing the same types of characters, then good on you! I've been trying to do that more, lately.

It makes sense. I tend to enjoy characters that use magic and a more physical weapon. Strong characters that use both axes and dark magic are my favorite kind to play.

A tactician, huh? I tend to enjoy these characters as well. I don't play them as much as I'd like, because playing really tactical characters can be difficult for me. Depending on the alignment, I tend to change what type of weapon they would use. Tricksters would probably use dark magic and maybe some sort of dagger. Whereas morally good tacticians would use anima or light magic and swords and/or lances.

I like having twists on established "classes", whether through personality of the character or abilities. For instance, I have a human cleric by the name of Sir Rodrick Lerrian who became somewhat of a meme in my small chatplay group because of the way he epitomises the term Lawful Stupid; taking the word sinner and the concept of a sin far too literally. To Rodrick, everyone is a sinner in the most literal sense possible, and he'll sometimes refuse to heal other party members as a result. Lawful Stupid indeed.

Also, twists on old legends are cool. I took the King Midas myth and turned it into a rather sadistic, slightly unhinged, greedy as all get out vampire assassin. She doesn't need payment, she'll just turn your dead body to solid gold and sell it.
Those types of characters are very amusing to play and interact with! Your character sounds interesting, especially since most Clerics tend to have high intelligence, or the equivalent to it. Refusing to heal a party member could make for a very deadly, or very humorous situation, too.

Characters based on myths!! Are great!! I have yet to actually make a character like that, but I think I have one in the works. Vampire assassin is just a cool title in general.

If non humans exist, I usually plays one, but it also depends on the lore behind them. Usually my char always able to do magic to certain degree.
I strongly relate to this. I've said this before, but beastfolk or elves are generally what I enjoy playing.

Any roleplay/game that has fantasy in it: magic lmao. Big magic head. For games it's usually long-range mages—glass cannons. For writing, I gravitate toward people who excel in unarmed and/or melee combat and use magic/qi/energy to augment their abilities or weapons.

So like, a magic knight or magic archer a la Dragon's Dogma.

If I have to pick a race in a fantasy roleplay, it depends upon what it is. I usually want to find something that fits well in the setting but also twists that a bit or turns it on its head. As such, much of the time I play a human (in part because many people like writing non-humans), and if I play another race, like say an elf, they usually aren't archers or the like. A white mage of mine is likely to do something like use blood magic to heal. (That's also a trope I fall into a lot, using direct life force to attack/heal/do anything, giving them a constant risk of death LMAO)

A good 90% of my characters healers are also total tsunderes asshats who need gods to stop their hands, so they can give off the vibe of being completely untrustworthy or ineffectual, wheras healers are usually uguu light kindness and virtue

I'll take some aspect of the character attribute that is expected and do a hand jive in it.

or just @Nebulon Ranger 's entire post. LMAO

Last edited:
Any roleplay/game that has fantasy in it: magic lmao. Big magic head. For games it's usually long-range mages—glass cannons. For writing, I gravitate toward people who excel in unarmed and/or melee combat and use magic/qi/energy to augment their abilities or weapons.

So like, a magic knight or magic archer a la Dragon's Dogma.

If I have to pick a race in a fantasy roleplay, it depends upon what it is. I usually want to find something that fits well in the setting but also twists that a bit or turns it on its head. As such, much of the time I play a human (in part because many people like writing non-humans), and if I play another race, like say an elf, they usually aren't archers or the like. A white mage of mine is likely to do something like use blood magic to heal. (That's also a trope I fall into a lot, using direct life force to attack/heal/do anything, giving them a constant risk of death LMAO)

A good 90% of my characters healers are also total tsunderes asshats who need gods to stop their hands, so they can give off the vibe of being completely untrustworthy or ineffectual, wheras healers are usually uguu light kindness and virtue

I'll take some aspect of the character attribute that is expected and do a hand jive in it.

or just @Nebulon Ranger 's entire post. LMAO
Magic glass canon is always a good niche. Magic archers are really, really fun to work with. I've only used one... once? But it was an experience I'd gladly repeat. I think I'd like to play a magic archer who gives enemies status ailments by enchanting their arrows with poison or something.

YEAH. I do have a very darkly-dressed, creepy cleric dude named Salem, who I greatly enjoy playing. He has kind of the same energy-stealing powers that you're talking about. I really like breaking the cutesy cleric stereotype.

Reactions: castigat
I gravitate toward people who excel in unarmed and/or melee combat and use magic/qi/energy to augment their abilities or weapons.
You know, it's funny you mention those three aethers, because I happen to have a character who uses not one, not two, but an equivalent of all three in the universe he (and my other characters) hail from. Links to aether articles on our collaborative universe wiki, for reference: Mana - Manaverse Wiki Prana - Manaverse Wiki Eon - Manaverse Wiki

The third one is actually one of @Red Revolver's creation, while the first is the generic high-level aether used in magic, and the second is the functional equivalent of qi. I didn't name them, as the second's name is stolen from Fate/, lol.

Reactions: castigat