Fantasy RPG Character Preferences

M

Mami Tomoe

Original poster
I'm not sure about others, but when creating characters for fantasy roleplays, I always have specific categories of character I gravitate towards. I'm not talking about personality, or even appearance. But I tend to side towards certain species, weapon types, and "classes" if they're included in said RP.

My most favored type of character is a beastman character. I almost always play characters with bestial traits and/or forms when possible. As for the type of beastman, I usually go for bovine, or rabbit characters.

My second and third favorite types (if beastmen aren't available) are characters that handle dark magic or axes. I love dark magic characters, as the idea of the taboo appeals to me. Axes are my third favorite simply because I tend to favor strength over speed in most roleplays were combat is involved. Even my magic using characters tend to be on the bulkier side.

So, my question is, when creating fantasy characters for RPs, what type of character do you like? This can be in terms of species, class, weaponry/stat choices and such.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kitti and Sir Basil
I'm a huge fan of any kind of elf.

• Love
Reactions: Mami Tomoe
Based on a current experience here, I have to say that I'm answering differently than I would six months ago.

I used to have preferred types, but I applied to be in wonderfully written RP and the slot available was a troll. So I was a troll. And I tweaked that damn troll until I loved him to death. He was AMAZE. (Yes, not proper grammar, I'm aware.)

So I've pretty much thrown my fantasy RPG preferences out the window. XD

My preferences for characters in tabletop games in person, and my preferences for RP characters differ a lot. However, one thing remains the same; I almost always play humans. Humans are my favorite fantasy race. The reason being is that I feel like the magic of a world is more emphasized when it's happening to a human - they're not inherently magical, and the setting has changed them.

Likewise, in RPs, I tend to prefer to play characters that start as pretty blank slates: humans, without magic. I very rarely play a mage in an RP ; not because I don't like magic, but because I want the character to "earn it." However, there are exceptions to this. Specifically, one archetype, a knight who has some minimal magic - but what magic he has is very esoteric and shamanistic. I've had a knight that could see the future, one that was undead and had associated powers via a magic sword, and another knight that simply spoke to God.

Although in tabletop games, the cleric's relationship with God actually conveys some mechanical and magical bonuses, this is not always true. Nonetheless , I play a lot of characters with a strong relationship to their God or Gods, either for better or for worse. Sometimes this grants them magic, sometimes it is simply something that I explore as the RP goes on.

Despite my "start at the ground up / low magic" RP characters, in D&D and similar tabletop games my preferences are a little more straightforward. I like playing clerics, wizards, and (rarely) Paladins. I enjoy having magic at my disposal - and a lot of it - and exploring creative uses of it. However , since RP doesn't have that same mechanical focus, I don't enjoy magic in quite the same way in RP. I feel as if I should be focusing more on the -character- and less on his -abilities- and I find that the latter can happen when I play high magic characters in RPs.

Although alignment is never anyone's favorite topic, my most played moral "alignments" are; Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, and Chaotic Evil. I'm a pretty staunch supporter of good old Lawful Good though, and enjoy playing with the notion of what it MEANS to be Lawful Good.

Also, undead for life. If I can be undead, I'll be undead. Hail to the Lich King, baby.

• Love
I very intentionally try to vary my characters a lot instead of sticking with one main thing. I usually make humans because if I don't have some kind of compelling reason to pick anything else (like cool world lore around some other fantasy race). For other things I kinda go through phases where I have one type that I make more than others.

For a while it was paladins, or just anything in plate armor that could use some magic. Then I had a wizard phase. Then for like a year or two I almost never had two characters of the same archetype at the same time. Now it seems like I'm getting into a thief/bandit sort of mood, gonna have at least three of them in various roleplays in the near future. :D

• Love
This can be in terms of species, class, weaponry/stat choices and such.
Species is... Well, mostly human. Simply by the virtue of availability and variety. I have no problem playing other species if I have a good idea for it, but humans are just great as a canvas in general.

Class... I don't know, I've played a plate-armour golemancer, a berserker shaman, good ol' fashioned crossbow rogue, etc. I tend not to go for pure wizard or pure healer roles, but everything else is on the table. Same goes for stats/weapons. I'd honestly have to go and count for that.

• Love
Hack the game, set stats to max, power trip the rest of the game.

In seriousness, human/elf warrior or rogue archetype, unless game/story/plot reason gives me reason to pick wizardy archetype (like neverwinternights 2 and DA: Origins Mage background)

• Love
I'm a huge fan of any kind of elf.
Yea! I can understand that. One of my favorite characters I've created is a drow elf who is an archer who uses magic, too! I find that they're a very interesting race to play, mostly depending on what place they have in the lore of the world.

Based on a current experience here, I have to say that I'm answering differently than I would six months ago.

I used to have preferred types, but I applied to be in wonderfully written RP and the slot available was a troll. So I was a troll. And I tweaked that damn troll until I loved him to death. He was AMAZE. (Yes, not proper grammar, I'm aware.)

So I've pretty much thrown my fantasy RPG preferences out the window. XD
Definitely understandable! Each roleplayer has their own experiences and preferences. While preferring to play a specific type of character doesn't hurt, diversity is definitely valuable.

My preferences for characters in tabletop games in person, and my preferences for RP characters differ a lot. However, one thing remains the same; I almost always play humans. Humans are my favorite fantasy race. The reason being is that I feel like the magic of a world is more emphasized when it's happening to a human - they're not inherently magical, and the setting has changed them.

Likewise, in RPs, I tend to prefer to play characters that start as pretty blank slates: humans, without magic. I very rarely play a mage in an RP ; not because I don't like magic, but because I want the character to "earn it." However, there are exceptions to this. Specifically, one archetype, a knight who has some minimal magic - but what magic he has is very esoteric and shamanistic. I've had a knight that could see the future, one that was undead and had associated powers via a magic sword, and another knight that simply spoke to God.

Although in tabletop games, the cleric's relationship with God actually conveys some mechanical and magical bonuses, this is not always true. Nonetheless , I play a lot of characters with a strong relationship to their God or Gods, either for better or for worse. Sometimes this grants them magic, sometimes it is simply something that I explore as the RP goes on.

Despite my "start at the ground up / low magic" RP characters, in D&D and similar tabletop games my preferences are a little more straightforward. I like playing clerics, wizards, and (rarely) Paladins. I enjoy having magic at my disposal - and a lot of it - and exploring creative uses of it. However , since RP doesn't have that same mechanical focus, I don't enjoy magic in quite the same way in RP. I feel as if I should be focusing more on the -character- and less on his -abilities- and I find that the latter can happen when I play high magic characters in RPs.

Although alignment is never anyone's favorite topic, my most played moral "alignments" are; Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, and Chaotic Evil. I'm a pretty staunch supporter of good old Lawful Good though, and enjoy playing with the notion of what it MEANS to be Lawful Good.

Also, undead for life. If I can be undead, I'll be undead. Hail to the Lich King, baby.
Really interesting, well thought out answer! I prefer to play any race but humans, but you've made me look at playing them in a new light! Having characters earn their ability to use magic is a very great concept that allows for character development. The three knights you described all sound like very interesting characters. I would've loved to see them in action!

I definitely agree that RPing online and actually playing a tabletop adventure is different. There are many ways that magic can be used. One of my favorite concepts is blue magic, or copycat magic, where a mage copies the enemies' abilities. (usually abilities from monsters.) Additionally, I do have a character that uses "desert magic" which involves both glass and sand-related spells.

I very intentionally try to vary my characters a lot instead of sticking with one main thing. I usually make humans because if I don't have some kind of compelling reason to pick anything else (like cool world lore around some other fantasy race). For other things I kinda go through phases where I have one type that I make more than others.

For a while it was paladins, or just anything in plate armor that could use some magic. Then I had a wizard phase. Then for like a year or two I almost never had two characters of the same archetype at the same time. Now it seems like I'm getting into a thief/bandit sort of mood, gonna have at least three of them in various roleplays in the near future. :D
Yep! Preferences definitely do change around. I remember that I used to stick to mounted classes more (Paladins, griffon riders, etc). But I do love the thief/bandit/rogue characters as well, both for their abilities and their usual personalities. In one of my roleplays, I've had a gambler class that uses cards as weapons!

Species is... Well, mostly human. Simply by the virtue of availability and variety. I have no problem playing other species if I have a good idea for it, but humans are just great as a canvas in general.

Class... I don't know, I've played a plate-armour golemancer, a berserker shaman, good ol' fashioned crossbow rogue, etc. I tend not to go for pure wizard or pure healer roles, but everything else is on the table. Same goes for stats/weapons. I'd honestly have to go and count for that.
The replies in this thread have made me look at playing humans in a new way! They're blank slates which you can really do anything with. Your characters sound very interesting!

Sometimes I make pure healers, but I usually don't go for pure wizards. Although I find having a character that is both a healer and a dark magic user is quite fun to play around with.

Hack the game, set stats to max, power trip the rest of the game.

In seriousness, human/elf warrior or rogue archetype, unless game/story/plot reason gives me reason to pick wizardy archetype (like neverwinternights 2 and DA: Origins Mage background)
Hybrid species are always intriguing! I find that almost everyone has a different interpretation of how they work in certain worlds and settings.

I don't have any preferences. When it comes down to Fantasy, I can create anything, within reason, I want. I like playing wolves able to transform into a human form. Same thing with dragons. I created a race of bears I might use for another purpose. I also enjoy playing elves too.

• Love
I don't have any preferences. When it comes down to Fantasy, I can create anything, within reason, I want. I like playing wolves able to transform into a human form. Same thing with dragons. I created a race of bears I might use for another purpose. I also enjoy playing elves too.
Understandable! One of the many joys of fantasy is unlimited possibilities, after all.

Although the bear race sounds quite interesting! Not many people use bears in fantasy roleplays, as wolves, felines, etc, tend to be more popular.

Reactions: Vendethiel
I absolutely love mechanic characters. Whenever I play them in Dragon Nest, I feel great as I avoid enemies while my giant golem Alfredo and my mechanical turrets shoot at the enemy for me.

For races, I like the Kitsune, or maybe the Tengu. They're really appealing. Of course, I am very fond of Faefolk to.

Despite this, the above implied race-class combination is far from my thing.

• Love
I absolutely love mechanic characters. Whenever I play them in Dragon Nest, I feel great as I avoid enemies while my giant golem Alfredo and my mechanical turrets shoot at the enemy for me.

For races, I like the Kitsune, or maybe the Tengu. They're really appealing. Of course, I am very fond of Faefolk to.

Despite this, the above implied race-class combination is far from my thing.
Mechanic characters in a fantasy setting have always intrigued me. Blending magic and technology is a topic I should touch on more in my roleplays.

Kitsune is my favorite race out of the three you named! Not for their abilities or anything--I just like the fluffy fox tails. But I can't deny that the other two have their own interesting quirks. I should probably play a Tengu sometime.

That's quite interesting! I don't usually meet people who are that way. It's an interesting concept, as I believe Kitsune and Fae tend to lean more towards magic? (I need to look more into Tengu.)

As a kid I have always loved fantasy because I like non human perspectives. I've always been intrigued with other races and the way they view the world. Maybe because most of the time I've never felt like I connected to people very well, so its kind of easy for me to adopt a outsider perspective into another race. So I avoid being a Human. As best as I can.

But there's been a lot of RPs as of late that only have humans.

And beyond that, people don't let magic in their RPs much any more either. I love playing magic anything, mages, sorcerers, wizards, there is a difference people.

But most people end up creating a world where "magic has died" or "very few have magic". and because it makes magic a special category, then everyone jumps on the magic train. Which makes me sad inside. Because I always enjoy making magical characters.

If I cannot be a magical character, I go stealthy, rogue type, and hopefully add magic as an arcane trickster somehow.

• Love
Mechanic characters in a fantasy setting have always intrigued me. Blending magic and technology is a topic I should touch on more in my roleplays.

Kitsune is my favorite race out of the three you named! Not for their abilities or anything--I just like the fluffy fox tails. But I can't deny that the other two have their own interesting quirks. I should probably play a Tengu sometime.

That's quite interesting! I don't usually meet people who are that way. It's an interesting concept, as I believe Kitsune and Fae tend to lean more towards magic? (I need to look more into Tengu.)
I generally depict Tengu as the creators of ninjutsu, but yes, the depiction of them being more honourable swordsmen is accurate too. At times, I fuse the concept with their Chinese counterparts, the more canine-like Tiangou, in that the Tiangou would sometimes consume the moon to cause an Lunar Eclipse.

If anything, I don't think Mechanic races go well with more tradition-themed or nature-attuned races. I think they work best with either humans or the non-obligatory 'totally not an alien' race. Because aliens.

As a kid I have always loved fantasy because I like non human perspectives. I've always been intrigued with other races and the way they view the world. Maybe because most of the time I've never felt like I connected to people very well, so its kind of easy for me to adopt a outsider perspective into another race. So I avoid being a Human. As best as I can.

But there's been a lot of RPs as of late that only have humans.

And beyond that, people don't let magic in their RPs much any more either. I love playing magic anything, mages, sorcerers, wizards, there is a difference people.

But most people end up creating a world where "magic has died" or "very few have magic". and because it makes magic a special category, then everyone jumps on the magic train. Which makes me sad inside. Because I always enjoy making magical characters.

If I cannot be a magical character, I go stealthy, rogue type, and hopefully add magic as an arcane trickster somehow.
I agree with all of this. I love seeing the perspectives of different races in fantasy roleplays. I find that a lot of people tend to prefer humans (which is absolutely fine) but species variation is one of my favorite attributes in a roleplay. Especially if certain species have certain abilities, skills, etc.

Additionally, magic is another one of my favorite attributes in a fantasy roleplay. To me, it's not complete fantasy if there's little to no magic, which is debatable, but it's how I feel. I like to make magic widespread in just about every single roleplay I do, because there are so many different categories of it. I tend to have Black magic (Thunder, Fire, Dark), White magic (healing/buffing, wind, light), Blue magic (replicating enemies' abilities), Green magic, and even desert magic. I also like to include alchemy and hexes and such.

The arcane trickster is one of my favorite niches! I did make an RPG class based around that trope in one of my other roleplays? A sneaky fighter who uses daggers/bows, and illusion magic to trick enemies.

I generally depict Tengu as the creators of ninjutsu, but yes, the depiction of them being more honourable swordsmen is accurate too. At times, I fuse the concept with their Chinese counterparts, the more canine-like Tiangou, in that the Tiangou would sometimes consume the moon to cause an Lunar Eclipse.

If anything, I don't think Mechanic races go well with more tradition-themed or nature-attuned races. I think they work best with either humans or the non-obligatory 'totally not an alien' race. Because aliens.
Absolutely! There are a lot of creative liberties that can be taken with mythology, which is one fantasy is one of my favorite genres.

I never really used to depict tengu as ninjutsu creators, because I never thought about it. But I really like the idea!

The Moon Rabbit race in your RP, Code Saga: Legends of Sekkaichi, is really interesting mostly because it incorporates aliens. I never used to bring in aliens in my fantasy roleplays, because I always thought of it as a sci-fi element. My Moon Rabbit character in your RP is going to be the first technology/engineering-based character I've ever played! I'm very excited for it!

Many cultures have lots of depictions of the creatures in the moon, from crabs to horses and rabbits, maybe a frog, or the classic 'Man in the Moon'.

Sometimes I look at the moon, think of the concepts of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, and think, 'Yes, aliens.'.

The Moon Rabbits looking for a 'Moon Princess' will play into heavy motifs of 'Tale of the Bamboo Cutter', which is said to be one of the oldest science fiction stories, dating back to the tenth or sixteenth century. In most modern game and anime series that depict Princess Kaguya, rabbits are a creature most affiliated with the moon, and in a good deal of occasions, Kaguya has rabbit-like traits too, mainly the ears and red eyes, probably to signify that she's not an Earthling.

And then there's the impossible requests from Kaguya that make great quest material for roleplays.

I make it an effort to integrate the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter into the motifs of my Oriental Fantasy Roleplays.

That's also why I reserved Celesteela for that RP. Leech Seed for days!

• Love
Alrighty! My lurking has come to an end. It is time for Furasian to crack some fingers and tack away on his cellphone!

It's probably predicted that I always cling to a beastfolk sort of race too which could probably be noticed either by looking at my rp patterns or by simply taking a closer look at me name. Like what our other friend said it's just more enjoyable to be different and live that life that isn't human. Not to mention the racial traits that come with whatever race you choose.

I know back when I was trying to boot roleplays up there were a variety of ways for me to portray a race. Whether it be creating the race as a whole or developing a 'altered' form of a human I've enjoyed making a detailed explanation behind why our wolf might be standing bipedal. Wolfkin, Felian, etc. The names can go on! What I've found to be one great thing about it is the conflict that might form between races, especially in an rp that I am in where beastfolk can be seen as a second class citizen in some cultures. To achknowledge that a character is different from the usual human image and use it to help add into the diversity of a rp can make for a great story to tell for weeks if not months.

There's probably more that I am forgetting to add to this post, but I better get back to work before the boss catches me balancing on my ladder tacking away in a dangerous manner.

I personally like to play different types of characters and I try to push myself into different categories whenever possible. There are a few that I have found that are just a little harder for me to adapt to and I play those less frequently: these are usually very "brute" characters. This is sad because I think that these can be great additions to fantasy games but they don't seem to work so well for me to play. Perhaps I should challenge myself to try one next time I have the chance!

As for personal things that work well for me, I tend to like "glass cannons", usually in magic or archery. Ones that can deal a decent amount of damage but crumple under being hit themselves.

• Love
Alrighty! My lurking has come to an end. It is time for Furasian to crack some fingers and tack away on his cellphone!

It's probably predicted that I always cling to a beastfolk sort of race too which could probably be noticed either by looking at my rp patterns or by simply taking a closer look at me name. Like what our other friend said it's just more enjoyable to be different and live that life that isn't human. Not to mention the racial traits that come with whatever race you choose.

I know back when I was trying to boot roleplays up there were a variety of ways for me to portray a race. Whether it be creating the race as a whole or developing a 'altered' form of a human I've enjoyed making a detailed explanation behind why our wolf might be standing bipedal. Wolfkin, Felian, etc. The names can go on! What I've found to be one great thing about it is the conflict that might form between races, especially in an rp that I am in where beastfolk can be seen as a second class citizen in some cultures. To achknowledge that a character is different from the usual human image and use it to help add into the diversity of a rp can make for a great story to tell for weeks if not months.
There's probably more that I am forgetting to add to this post, but I better get back to work before the boss catches me balancing on my ladder tacking away in a dangerous manner.
Beastfolk, as said in the first post, are also my favorite type of race to play. Mostly bovine characters due to their tendency to be bulky attacking characters. If possible, I like to play mixed physical and magic fighters whenever possible. Bovine barbarian who also handles dark magic? Great!

But in all seriousness, I enjoy the racial traits and lore that come from beastfolk species. Additionally, I definitely lots of roleplays have beastfolk as second class citizens. It makes for a very interesting conflict, especially if there are humans and beastfolk in the same adventuring party!

I personally like to play different types of characters and I try to push myself into different categories whenever possible. There are a few that I have found that are just a little harder for me to adapt to and I play those less frequently: these are usually very "brute" characters. This is sad because I think that these can be great additions to fantasy games but they don't seem to work so well for me to play. Perhaps I should challenge myself to try one next time I have the chance!

As for personal things that work well for me, I tend to like "glass cannons", usually in magic or archery. Ones that can deal a decent amount of damage but crumple under being hit themselves.
Diversity is very, very useful! It allows you to fit into a multitude of roles. I've played my fair share of beastfolk, brutes, etc. And I find that my favorite niche is brutes who also handle magic. It's not frequently seen in most fantasy settings, but I like it! I think that it'd be cool if you gave a brute character a try!

You could also make a brute glass cannon as well. You can always give a brute character low defense against magic.

Berserkers are a great go-to for glass cannon brutes. Just rather than the range of an archer you have to rely on intimidation. This doesn't have to be a dumb brute either, but one who picks their fights and is conciously deciding whether to unleash or reign in their inner beast. Simply the virtue of being over 2 metres tall and muscle-bound can win you a lot of fights with nothing but the threat of violence. Fear is a very powerful tool and we understand it instinctively.

Half-naked men in wolfskin who run into your spears just to smash your head in, even at the cost of their own lives, can absolutely decimate the morale of your soldiers. That sheer risk of death despite your army likely winning the battle otherwise, is something that can create opportunities for other characters as well.

Last edited: