CLOSED SIGNUPS FALLOUT: RECLAMATION (IC)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"We'll split the difference." Cut in Maeve. "I have some setup I want the boys to run before contact, now that we'll have the extra time; But I wouldn't mind having at least some idea of what we're getting into. Take Mags and these two with you. Mags, give me a radio once you have eyes on it. What looks like, what sort of armanents it has. If our friends so far are any indication, it may have both organic and inorganic components, probably complex. Don't stick around long enough to give it a hard study, especially if you get made; Just focus on what you understand."

"Or ya could just ask meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..." She commented, still pokin' through the fridge. "It's yer lucky day, ranger, I already squeezed some info out for ya, from the bot. Maybe not the whole picture, but that some idea of the shitstorm we're walkin into that you're lookin' for." She started, the smile on her face not fadin' a single bit. "Fat Man, heavy armor platin' up and down, across the board, and in the bot's own words, it's just the kinda thing that could wear it like a jockstrap. They want Wheelie pretty bad. Sparin' no expense."
Maeve glanced back at Mia then turned over to the heckler.

"Confident enough in your driving to come near that kind of artillery?"
They asked, not quite enough concern in their voice to assuage at least one member of the squad.

"Does how confident I am in his driving factor in?"

"We'll follow orders regardless ranger" Mags replied for Maeve, ignoring/unbothered by poindexter trying to slap her shoulder to shut her up

"We'll split the difference." Cut in Maeve. "I have some setup I want the boys to run before contact, now that we'll have the extra time; But I wouldn't mind having at least some idea of what we're getting into. Take Mags and these two with you. Mags, give me a radio once you have eyes on it. What looks like, what sort of armanents it has. If our friends so far are any indication, it may have both organic and inorganic components, probably complex. Don't stick around long enough to give it a hard study, especially if you get made; Just focus on what you understand."

"Or ya could just ask meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..." She commented, still pokin' through the fridge. "It's yer lucky day, ranger, I already squeezed some info out for ya, from the bot. Maybe not the whole picture, but that some idea of the shitstorm we're walkin into that you're lookin' for." She started, the smile on her face not fadin' a single bit. "Fat Man, heavy armor platin' up and down, across the board, and in the bot's own words, it's just the kinda thing that could wear it like a jockstrap. They want Wheelie pretty bad. Sparin' no expense."

"Don't know where the fuck Babysitter heard all of that." Job interrupted from the cargo bed of the Highwayman, obviously denying having told Mia anything while clearly listening in despite facing the opposite direction of the others.

The RoboAddict was definitely enjoying the sights and not trying to catch sight of the suspect in question.

"But it's mostly accurate. Just one more thing needs adding."

There was a noticeable pregnant pause after having made that emphatic statement, almost as if the Robot was staring off wistfully into the horizon with a nugget of wisdom that was auditory epiphany to any who would hear it and be forevermore changed by it.

"They also eat corpses."

Won't let me add quotes here

To Pointdexter, Job provided an addendum:

"Staying together in exactly one spot with me is probably a surefire way to avoid the artillery. Unless they've changed its directives and it doesn't care anymore. We'll find out." It printed the following on the screen that comprised the centerpiece of its torso towards the Misfits:

(b^_^)b

Last edited:

"Don't know where the fuck Babysitter heard all of that." Job interrupted from the cargo bed of the Highwayman, obviously denying having told Mia anything while clearly listening in despite facing the opposite direction of the others.

The RoboAddict was definitely enjoying the sights and not trying to catch sight of the suspect in question.

There was a noticeable pregnant pause after having made that emphatic statement, almost as if the Robot was staring off wistfully into the horizon with a nugget of wisdom that was auditory epiphany to any who would hear it and be forevermore changed by it.

"They also eat corpses."

Maeve glanced backwards again. when did- It didn't matter

"don't take this personally unicycle but we wanted to separate for a reason. Specifically fat man reasons now, and no matter what we do you need to head straight for the station. O'Hanrahan?"

"Y-yessir?" Asked the gentle giant, still cramming himself as low into the bed as he could.

"eject the stowaway."

"Yessir!"

Yeet

"They also eat corpses."

"don't take this personally unicycle but we wanted to separate for a reason. Specifically fat man reasons now, and no matter what we do you need to head straight for the station. O'Hanrahan?"

"Y-yessir?" Asked the gentle giant, still cramming himself as low into the bed as he could.

"eject the stowaway."

"Yessir!"

Yeet

"Touch me and I'll stab you with every concoction of chems in the known wasteland, you fat two-legged walrus. Have the decency to stop the car before throwing me out!"

"They also eat corpses."

"eject the stowaway."

"Yessir!"

Yeet

"Touch me and I'll stab you with every concoction of chems in the known wasteland, you fat two-legged walrus. Have the decency to stop the car before throwing me out!"

O'hanrahan froze mid grab towards Job, extremely leery of anything getting in his system his momma wouldn't approve of.

"...Sir?"

"I'll throw him out. If thats the cost." Said the goggled misfit with them in the bed mock solemnly, suddenly much more interested in this conversation

"Securitrons bounce. You'll be fine." Maeve directed towards Job. "We're not losing speed until we're sure we're not in the crosshairs. If you still want our help then out. Now."

"They also eat corpses."

"eject the stowaway."

"Yessir!"

Yeet

O'hanrahan froze mid grab towards Job, extremely leery of anything getting in his system his momma wouldn't approve of.

"...Sir?"

"I'll throw him out. If thats the cost." Said the goggled misfit with them in the bed mock solemnly, suddenly much more interested in this conversation

"Securitrons bounce. You'll be fine." Maeve directed towards Job. "We're not losing speed until we're sure we're not in the crosshairs. If you still want our help then out. Now."

"Oh for Christ's sake, fine. Don't be surprised if you find me with a concussion, Scoutranger Donchev." The securitron threw drolly towards those in the cab, quirking its attention towards the big lug for a moment.

"Wouldn't have stabbed ya for real, you mook."

With a flourish of one limb in an overly elegant farewell the robot bailed out over the side of the Highwayman's bed, a clangorous smashing resonating for a fleeting moment that was quickly snuffed by the rushing of the wind and the debris-laden sands churned by the tires. It still wasn't loud enough to stifle the beginning of the intense profanity that rose up from the pale-robin blue automaton as it weathered the impact from its landing.

"Onto Neptune's gas station. Poseidon. The Legion would've loved that misfiring of the synapses. Not so much the chems though..." A twist and a turn in place, JOB was rolling off at max speeds for the designated destination of destiny.

Last edited:

She paused in her pokin' through the fridge, glanced over that way, back to the fridge and then right back towards the cargo bed in a double take. "What the shit...?" Mia was so confused when the bot had even gotten here that bein' called Babysitter didn't even register.​

"They also eat corpses."

Eugh. That was not an unknown thing to her, she'd seen others do it, but it was still disgustin' as hell. Good reminder not to die any time soon if I can help it.

"Staying together in exactly one spot with me is probably a surefire way to avoid the artillery. Unless they've changed its directives and it doesn't care anymore. We'll find out." It printed the following on the screen that comprised the centerpiece of its torso towards the Misfits:

"No! Get outta here like we planned!" is what she woulda said except the soldiers beat her to it, so she stayed quiet, just starin' towards the bot.​

"eject the stowaway."

"Yessir!"

"...Sir?"

"Oh for Christ's sake, fine. Don't be surprised if you find me with a concussion, Scoutranger Donchev." The securitron threw drolly towards those in the cab, quirking its attention towards the big lug for a moment.

"Wouldn't have stabbed ya for real, you mook."

With a flourish of one limb in an overly elegant farewell the robot bailed out over the side of the Highwayman's bed, a clangorous smashing resonating for a fleeting moment that was quickly snuffed by the rushing of the wind and the debris-laden sands churned by the tires. It still wasn't loud enough to stifle the beginning of the intense profanity that rose up from the pale-robin blue automaton as it weathered the impact from its landing.

"Onto Neptune's gas station. Poseidon. The Legion would've loved that misfiring of the synapses. Not so much the chems though..." A twist and a turn in place, JOB was rolling off at max speeds for the designated destination of destiny.

"What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck just..." She looked around at the others. "Am I high? Don't remember takin' a hit for a bit. Did that just happen?"

The knight could feel every word issued from their lungs being carefully weighed out and measured, the barrel of the weapon pressed flush against their head unyielding in its stillness. The voice sneered at the turn of phrase, the gun staying where it was.

"Your lips part easily with the truth. Good. Makes my job simpler."

His interrogator held a moment, as though to contemplate his next words.

"So, then. Knowing the truth stays your demise, what Brotherhood secrets will you disclose?"

Dom huffed and exhaled through their nose.

"What does it matter? The Brotherhood is gone... The NCR saw to that."

Dom struggled against their restraints.

"That's all I'm going to say. If you're going to shoot then do it."

BLAM.

The dim cavern they'd been confined to lit up with the flare of a muzzle flash before the final syllable departed Dominik, leaving them with a disorienting ring in their ears. Whether they heeded it or not, their natural impulse at that point was to brace for pain, then a chilling numb, then the brief warmth of spreading blood before they lapsed into shock and felt nothing; so the Scribes had taught.

None of that happened. Instead, Dominik felt the pressure at their wrists suddenly abate as the ties were shot off, freeing their hands and toppling them forward to their knees as their captor stepped around them into view.

"Wrong."

The man's most readily apparent trait was that he was a titan. Six foot six or more, head shaved and beard a grizzly stubble, he was a golem made flesh, shoulders thick with muscle, a scarred, ridged brow that hung heavy over a face carved in granite. His vestments took the form of a simple, sleek flight jacket and fatigues, both navy in pigmentation, and the weapon he re-holstered at his thigh was like nothing Dominik had seen before; a .50 Desert Eagle with such an immaculate chrome finish it could've been fresh off the production line. A veritable hand cannon in anyone else's grip, his dense, gloved one almost made it look conventional.

"Puzzling. When told truth might buy you your life, instead you elect to barter in falsehoods. So are you a believer, Knight? Or has duty abandoned you along with your conviction?" He snarled. "From afar, I was certain of the latter. That you yet live is solely at the behest of another, more convinced than I that you pose no threat."

It might have struck Dominik then that the man's hand had yet to leave his pistol's grip.

"Now… perhaps time will prove the deciding factor."

His clutch on the weapon relaxed, and he flexed out his palm briefly before clasping it over the fist behind his back, beginning to pace.

"Wayward though they may be, your words are not without merit. The Brotherhood has fallen. Fallen far. The heretic Elijah was proof of that; everywhere I look in this desert I see the atrophy his teachings have wrought. The corruption."

He glanced down, making direct eye contact with Dominik for the first time; and those eyes were harsh.

"As I see it in you now. The Mission is not our right, soldier. None have a right to that which killed the world. And only the Brotherhood has the will and purity of purpose to keep mankind's appetite for evolution where it needs to be: Curbed. That is not our right. It is our burden. Our privilege. And yet, here we stand."

He heaved out a sigh, an exhale forced through the nostrils like that of a bull.

"I understand you lost your father at Hidden Valley."

A beat.

"I understand he, too, was corrupt and weak. What say you?"

Last edited:
A whole mess of trouble seemed to be occurin' back there, and throughout it all the heckler-stranger-driver had eyes for just the one passenger; a focused intensity to the periodic squints he sent her way in his rear-view as she sneakily tried to go about what she was going about.

"You raidin' my refrigerator right now, bandit girl?"

Inside were a beer, a half-peeled orange, and an ashtray with one single cigarette in it.

Before the car's occupants could even begin to contemplate how to navigate that embarrassing moment for both parties, a hiss forced its way out the man's teeth with all the force and pitch of a whistle, and a sharp twist of the wheel saw the scream of rubber on asphalt rip through the pleasant tranquility of the Mojave at night. Chaos followed quickly, the capacity of the seatbelts (and Razz's grip strength) being stretched to their absolute limits and the fridge's contents doming Mia in the skull as their chauffeur followed through on the motion to maintain their spin; wrenching the car into something resembling a donut to (just) avoid going off the highway.

2-A837941-DBBC-48-CF-A19-E-ED4-F7-E77-DB29.jpg

Consequentially, all eight passengers were briefly afforded a moment where they were free to collectively gawp out their closest window at what the hell had come up out of the black on them so suddenly. The sight of an unfamiliar danger made that one of those moments like to drag on forever; as though they had all just shot up on Jet in the last ten seconds then forgot about it, the deafening tones of Radio New Vegas accidentally cranked up in the bedlam drowning out all other noise.

It stood close to ten feet in height, its shadow cast by the full moon nigh engulfing the car in its totality. Perhaps unfamiliar wasn't quite the word; FEV pumped through the monstrosity's veins rightly enough, assuming anything at all did outside dust and formaldehyde. Its bulk and cranium were roughly consistent with a super mutant, but taller, broader; its bone structure seemed malformed, skin paler and more desiccated than even their feral cousins out east. Its skull was sunken, bearing significant scar tissue and a large, noteworthy dent at the center of its crown where an array of sleek black coils and plated cathode tubes ran into the ebony carapace grafted to its flesh, up one nostril and down its throat. Slung across one shoulder was the aforementioned Fat Man, which it hefted with an ease that made a launcher specifically designed to be used in power armour look positively made of foam.

About two more rotations followed before the car was fully under control, and the man drummed his fingers against the steering wheel in an erratic tempo as they sat in a pit of sand, steam, and simmering frustration, simply studying the monstrosity to see what it did next.

As they looked at the Mire, the Mire looked back at them, and opened its mouth to meet them with a a throaty, protracted growl layered by a synthetic ring.

" J O B . "

Then it turned, slowly rotating itself as if on an axis before it began to amble down the 93 at much the same pace it had been going, walking dead-centre of the road without a care for where the securitron parachuted out. The driver's grip on the wheel loosened slightly, but not enough to come anywhere near relaxed, and he chewed his jaw in deep thought for a few seconds before speaking.

"If these boys so smart how come they didn't just send the sorta feller could run?"

Last edited:
Mags was swearing under her breath as the car came to a tilting halt, fumbling with her seatbelt mechanism that she clearly wasn't all that familiar with. Poindexter was clutching his chest, seemingly trying to figure out where his breathing had gone, and O'Hanrahan was pressing himself down into the cargo bed, his weight and positioning keeping him from being tossed out. Unlike Razz, who'd lost his grip as the car screeched to a halt and gone tumbling out the back with some much louder swearing than Mags. He scrambled back up to his feet and towards where his rifle had fallen, picking it up and swinging it toward-

"Hold"

The weight of Maeve's command was clear through the helmet. They'd slid out of their own seatbelt mid-slide and had wedged themselves out the window, their back arched uncomfortably to leverage their rifle against their shoulder with the barrel resting on the passenger rearview. They studied the Mire over the top of their rifle's scope, cataloguing each piece of tubing and plating, the organic structure of the thing the same way they would a machine, clearly preparing a shot if that fat man started to point their direction.

When the Mire instead turned, they wedged themselves back into the car long enough to open the door and slip out, shutting it behind them as they continued the study of the mire, though with the gun lowered for now. Eventually they spoke, tone grim.

"Misjugded the angle this fucker was coming from. That's on me. O'Hanrahan, out" They ordered, then continued talking as the soldier complied. "Me, Razz, and you will follow behind this thing on foot. Think we can keep pace" they added, a bit of dryness entering their tone. They paused on their next thought, glancing back to the car.

"Unless you want out" They directed to the driver. "Any of you really. Got a look at what we're up against, and you're not under orders."

"I want out!" piped up Poindexter

"No"

Last edited:
A whole mess of trouble seemed to be occurin' back there, and throughout it all the heckler-stranger-driver had eyes for just the one passenger; a focused intensity to the periodic squints he sent her way in his rear-view as she sneakily tried to go about what she was going about.

Inside were a beer, a half-peeled orange, and an ashtray with one single cigarette in it.

She stared with thinly veiled disappointment, havin' really been hankerin' for a Nuka Cola, any kind really. Barely anythin' in there, not that she expected much anyhow. At least there was a drink. She grabbed the bottle, movin' it slightly to read the label before she glanced over to the driver. "Relax, old man, slim pickin' in here anyw--"

Before the car's occupants could even begin to contemplate how to navigate that embarrassing moment for both parties, a hiss forced its way out the man's teeth with all the force and pitch of a whistle, and a sharp twist of the wheel saw the scream of rubber on asphalt rip through the pleasant tranquility of the Mojave at night. Chaos followed quickly, the capacity of the seatbelts (and Razz's grip strength) being stretched to their absolute limits and the fridge's contents doming Mia in the skull as their chauffeur followed through on the motion to maintain their spin; wrenching the car into something resembling a donut to (just) avoid going off the highway.

"--shit!!!!" Her anyway became an entirely different word in the blink of an eye as the car screeched. The belt around her, well, it was functional. It did its job. Unfortunately for her. The orange bouncin' off her forehead, that was whatever. The ashtray smackin' her in the head and stainin' her face with ash...not so much. Right then, in the midst of a sputterin' cough from the disgustin' ashes, she halfway kinda wished the damn belt had just torn and she'd fallen over elsewhere in the car. The faceful she got the night before was way better than the one she got right now. At least the contents of the ashtray hadn't gotten into her eyes, havin' shut them, but...shit it still sucked.

Mia lifted up one of her arms and wiped roughly across her face with her duster sleeve.​

Consequentially, all eight passengers were briefly afforded a moment where they were free to collectively gawp out their closest window at what the hell had come up out of the black on them so suddenly. The sight of an unfamiliar danger made that one of those moments like to drag on forever; as though they had all just shot up on Jet in the last ten seconds then forgot about it, the deafening tones of Radio New Vegas accidentally cranked up in the bedlam drowning out all other noise.

She looked up then, still coughin', and almost immediately her eyes widened at the glimpse she got.​

It stood close to ten feet in height, its shadow cast by the full moon nigh engulfing the car in its totality. Perhaps unfamiliar wasn't quite the word; FEV pumped through the monstrosity's veins rightly enough, assuming anything at all did outside dust and formaldehyde. Its bulk and cranium were roughly consistent with a super mutant, but taller, broader; its bone structure seemed malformed, skin paler and more desiccated than even their feral cousins out east. Its skull was sunken, bearing significant scar tissue and a large, noteworthy dent at the center of its crown where an array of sleek black coils and plated cathode tubes ran into the black plate grafted to its flesh, up one nostril and down its throat, and hefted across one shoulder was the aforementioned Fat Man, which it carried with an ease that made a launcher specifically designed to be used in power armour look positively made of foam.

One thing to have a description told to ya, quite another to see it with yer own eyes. Her mental picturin' hadn't been too far off. If one of those old war tanks were to get hit with one of those fucked up rays pulled straight out of her favorite of the old world comics, and got turned into a vaguely humanoid thing, it woulda looked somethin' like that.​

As they looked at the Mire, the Mire looked back at them, and opened its mouth to meet them with a a throaty, protracted growl layered by a synthetic ring.

" J O B . "

Then it turned, slowly rotating itself as if on an axis before it began to amble down the 93 at much the same pace it had been going, walking dead-centre of the road without a care for where the securitron parachuted out. The driver's grip on the wheel loosened slightly, but not enough to come anywhere near relaxed, and he chewed his jaw in deep thought for a few seconds before speaking.

She let out a breath she didn't even realize she'd been holdin', more than keenly aware they were supremely vulnerable if the thing decided to unleash hell with that fuckin' Fat Man. Talk bout dodgin' that bullet. She didn't want to even imagine how differently that coulda gone if that fuckin securitron had still been in here!!!! She hurriedly unbuckled, almost tearin' the belt herself as she slipped outta the car as well.
"Misjugded the angle this fucker was coming from. That's on me. O'Hanrahan, out" They ordered, then continued talking as the soldier complied. "Me, Razz, and you will follow behind this thing on foot. Think we can keep pace" they added, a bit of dryness entering their tone. They paused on their next thought, glancing back to the car.

"Unless you want out" They directed to the driver. "Any of you really. Got a look at what we're up against, and you're not under orders."

A few last coughs escaped her as she stumbled over closer. "Yeah, uh, what?" She shook her head in confusion, lowerin' her voice to a whisper as she got closer. "What's the point of followin' that thing? Why not just let it get farther and put that rifle of yers to good use, and 86 that motherfucker from a comfy distance? Or try to, anyways."

"Somethin' tells me we'll know it when we see it, hanger-on."

Loulou huffed and turned her attention back to petting Mojo.

"These folks don't know what they're talking about, Mojo. But we'll show em!"

Loulou clung to her pigrat for dear life.

"OH LORD!!!! HANG ON, HONEY!!"

Mojo was pretty damn calm.

It didn't know what these humans were getting all worked up about. This was fun.

As the car finally came to a stop, Loulou's hair was a mess and she couldn't help but try (very hard) to hold back her laughter after seeing dirty cigarette ashes smattered all over Mia's face. "Pfft...pffhahahaha....." The laughter certainly helped to get her mind off whatever the heck their handsome driver had been thinking! Which, the photographer, still had absolutely no clue!! "Honey, what was the meaning of-"

It stood close to ten feet in height, its shadow cast by the full moon nigh engulfing the car in its totality. Perhaps unfamiliar wasn't quite the word; FEV pumped through the monstrosity's veins rightly enough, assuming anything at all did outside dust and formaldehyde. Its bulk and cranium were roughly consistent with a super mutant, but taller, broader; its bone structure seemed malformed, skin paler and more desiccated than even their feral cousins out east. Its skull was sunken, bearing significant scar tissue and a large, noteworthy dent at the center of its crown where an array of sleek black coils and plated cathode tubes ran into the black plate grafted to its flesh, up one nostril and down its throat, and hefted across one shoulder was the aforementioned Fat Man, which it carried with an ease that made a launcher specifically designed to be used in power armour look positively made of foam.

About two more rotations followed before the car was fully under control, and the man drummed his fingers against the steering wheel in an erratic tempo as they sat in a pit of sand, steam, and simmering frustration, simply studying the monstrosity to see what it did next.

" J O B . "

"..."

Loulou tried to duck down in the back as best as she could. Which given that she was feeling all kinds of smushed back there as was, it wasn't exactly super easy, but she still made a god's honest attempt at it. The last thing she wanted was that...That THING staring her down.

She'd seen all kinds of beasties in her travels. Mirelurks, cazadors, more types of Geckos that you could shake a stick at. Those stupid spittin plants from Zion. But the Mire was absolutely something completely out of her wheelhouse. It looked like the kinda stuff nightmares were made out of. She went absolutely quiet and cupped a hand over Mojo's maw to try and cut off any potential squeaks.

In her mind she was praying to the spirits. The kind that she claimed to have left behind after leaving her tribe behind. She wanted to uplift herself. To be more than her origins. But when you were stuck in a caer with your loyal pet pigrat and a bunch of relative strangers, that was more than ample enough opportunity to fall back on old beliefs.

Once the Mire lumbered off, Mia immediately tried to scramble her way out of the car, Mojo in tow.

"Well, I already joined y'all this far so..."

She'd WANTED to take pictures. But with Maeve still standing nearby, trying to any sneak shots probably would have only ended up getting her camera either confiscated or broken. "Mojo and I-Mojo...?"

The pigrat had scrambled out of Loulou's arms and clung to the photographer's leg.

It'd been calm. But it did NOT want to go near the creature it'd seen.

Bad feelings all around.

"...We'll be ok, Mojo." Loulou spoke softly, kneeling down to pet her pet.

To head back now would have just meant this whole little trip had been a waste. Even if she'd gotten to ride around in a caer, nifty as it'd been. Reaching back to unstrap the hunting rifle, she exhaled. "I'm stickin it out."

"Well, I already joined y'all this far so..."
"You've been in a car with us 3 minutes" Came Maeve's response, ignoring Mia for now while they waited for the driver's answer, their gaze back to the Mire's rumbling walk

The driver's eyes never left the Mire—nor his white-knuckled grip the stick—until he was sure it had no immediate intent of using the earth-scorcher strapped to its shoulder, and even then the quiet scrutiny of his gaze and glint of intrigue in his eye never quite abated. Cynical though his stance on the NCR appeared to be, there was a quiet contentment to the man's nature; a willingness to accept things for what they were. Had their paths not crossed, and had he not seen fit to heckle this particular ranger on this particular evening to both amuse himself and test their nerve, in all likelihood he could've kept on abiding to the grave with no regrets—none of the visible sort, anyways.

But hell, when he was hooked he was hooked, and some in the car might already have gauged that quietly eking out a living shovelling hay bales for Heck Gunderson wasn't quite this particular soul's calling.

He reached into the inner breast of his jumpsuit, producing a crumpled pack of Big Boss and a matchbook, and gave something between a scoff and a snicker at Maeve's offer.

"Well, good to know ain't none of us here drafted 'cept the folk who got no business bein' here at all. No offence, cowpoke," He tossed over his shoulder at O'Hanrahan, who by all accounts seemed like a nice kid.

Type of kid he'd been of a mind to protect once upon a time, and here he was, at the front, rifle on his shoulder. He wasn't about to pretend that sat well with him.

He hung a smoke between his lips, slid the pack and book of matches back in his breast pocket, struck a flame off his eyebrow and lit up the cig, hands steady as can be.

"But I reckon I'm invested now. What the hell in, I don't rightly know, but I'm invested. Gonna run you up to 30 caps, though."
A few last coughs escaped her as she stumbled over closer. "Yeah, uh, what?" She shook her head in confusion, lowerin' her voice to a whisper as she got closer. "What's the point of followin' that thing? Why not just let it get farther and put that rifle of yers to good use, and 86 that motherfucker from a comfy distance? Or try to, anyways."

"Poseidon's a kill zone."

He offered in his scratchy drawl, taking a heavy drag and blowing straight cancer out the driver window.

"Vipers been bushwackin' folk from the hills up that way for years. We open up now, dollars to dimes that ugly sumbitch rains hell back, and we's a mite exposed to contend with a nuclear arsenal." He paused, taking another slow, contemplative drag. "We herd it to the station, make use o' the terrain… gives us options. We can get creative with it."

He leaned forward suddenly, opening the glovebox to reveal an old, retrofitted police scanner hooked into the sound system from the inside, which he fired up with a hiss and a flare of static.

"Got a frequency, scoutmaster?"

It occurred to him while inputting it that he couldn't hear the fading sound of thumping footfall anymore, and he glanced up with a sense of urgency to confirm what he already knew.

The Mire had stopped.

Its head had swung slightly back in their direction, and though faint through the sound of its jagged, laboured breathing the mechanical whirr of a magnification lens could be heard briefly, the perceptive among them recalling the monocle implant substituting for its left eye as its gaze roved over the paved road.

In the months since the treaty House and the NCR had been putting the Dam to use, erecting street lamps and relighting the highways around the Mojave to make for safer nighttime travel. There wasn't total coverage yet, and they were still working out the hinks, but broadly speaking the initiative had been a success, and it was the reason they could still see their quarry at its current range, just beyond the angle of the headlights.

Its relevance now became apparent as the Mire roared, drew back a fist, and punched straight through the concrete and asphalt like it was made of glass, clawed gauntlet digging through the rubble momentarily until it closed around the wires of a junction box. Even from this distance they could see the arcs of electricity shoot up and down its body, but it elicited little more than a momentary spasm of discomfort before it wrenched its claws out, and the entire stretch of highway was plunged into pitch darkness.

The slow, lumbering footfall resumed, now sans visuals.

Last edited:
"Well, good to know ain't none of us here drafted 'cept the folk who got no business bein' here at all. No offence, cowpoke," He tossed over his shoulder at O'Hanrahan, who by all accounts seemed like a nice kid.

Type of kid he'd been of a mind to protect once upon a time, and here he was, at the front, rifle on his shoulder. He wasn't about to pretend that sat well with him.

He hung a smoke between his lips, slid the pack and book of matches back in his breast pocket, struck a flame off his eyebrow and lit up the cig, hands steady as can be.

"But I reckon I'm invested now. What the hell in, I don't rightly know, but I'm invested. Gonna run you up to 30 caps, though."

"This mission's voluntary." snapped Mags, though whether their initial joining of the military in the first place was the case around the board was made a little less clear by the glare she got from her fellow back-seat squadmate.

The ranger let out a small snort at the price increase. "The extortion out here. Sure, its a deal. We'll throw in the fuel for the trip too."

He offered in his scratchy drawl, taking a heavy drag and blowing straight cancer out the driver window.

"Vipers been bushwackin' folk from the hills up that way for years. We open up now, dollars to dimes that ugly sumbitch rains hell back, and we's a mite exposed to contend with a nuclear arsenal." He paused, taking another slow, contemplative drag. "We herd it to the station, make use o' the terrain… gives us options. We can get creative with it."

He leaned forward suddenly, opening the glovebox to reveal an old, retrofitted police scanner hooked into the sound system from the inside, which he fired up with a hiss and a flare of static.

"Got a frequency, scoutmaster?"

It occurred to him while inputting it that he couldn't hear the fading sound of thumping footfall anymore, and he glanced up with a sense of urgency to confirm what he already knew.

The Mire had stopped.
With that they gave a slow nod, answering Mia's question at the same time. "I'm not too keen on playing dodgeball with that thing. You'd be surprised the range those launchers can get, especially if its computer assisted; and I think our friend over there has more going on under the hood than the the actual securitron . Even if we let him walk away before the shot-"
Its head had swung slightly back in their direction, and though faint through the sound of its jagged, laboured breathing the mechanical whirr of a magnification lens could be heard briefly, the perceptive among them recalling the monocle implant substituting for its left eye as its gaze roved over the paved road.

In the months since the treaty House and the NCR had been putting the Dam to use, erecting street lamps and relighting the highways around the Mojave to make for safer nighttime travel. There wasn't total coverage yet, and they were still working out the hinks, but broadly speaking the initiative had been a success, and it was the reason they could still see their quarry at its current range, just beyond the angle of the headlights.

Its relevance now became apparent as the Mire roared, drew back a fist, and punched straight through the concrete and asphalt like it was made of glass, clawed gauntlet digging through the rubble momentarily until it closed around the wires of a junction box. Even from this distance they could see the arcs of electricity shoot up and down its body, but it elicited little more than a momentary spasm of discomfort before it wrenched its claws out, and the entire stretch of highway was plunged into pitch darkness.

The slow, lumbering footfall resumed, now sans visuals.

"...Boss man." started Razz, staring out into the darkness, having definitely not flinched at the sudden movement only for the butt of Maeve's rifle to knock his own back down before he could take a shot, "You know I don't mind a scrap, but... we can just let this thing take the stupid hunk of junk, right?"

"Potentially." Maeve said as the slowly reached up to the side of their helmet. There was a click, and Mia heard a low, sharp whine come from it that faded away as the eye pieces flickered a brighter red before they too disappeared into the dark. "But only potentially. I'm not getting anyone under me killed over it."

"...But you still wanna take a look." ventured O'hanrahan, running a hand down his face.

"But I still want to take a look." Maeve agreed. "Worthwile puzzle to solve, I think. pieces moving on a board I think the NCR needs to see. What's your name, car guy?" They finally asked. "Give me that, and I'll give you your frequency. Then we can see how we size up against Polyphemus out there."

With that they gave a slow nod, answering Mia's question at the same time. "I'm not too keen on playing dodgeball with that thing. You'd be surprised the range those launchers can get, especially if its computer assisted; and I think our friend over there has more going on under the hood than the the actual securitron . Even if we let him walk away before the shot-"

"I mean, yeah, don't want to trade fire with the damn thing, but I figured...well I thought it woulda been obvious. Put a round or two in it, get its attention, and assumin' yer a crack shot with that wicked rifle, shoot the mini nuke as it gets loaded up but before that thing could let it fly. Booooooom. Course, that's all moot now." Mia frowned, staring uncomfortably into the darkness. Had to admit, the heavy dark and the sound of the thudding footfalls coming outta there was more than a little unnerving. Small comfort being that the thing was so focused on pursuit, that it wasn't getting any closer to where they stood. Hardly even cared about them. At least, for right now.​

"...Boss man." started Razz, staring out into the darkness, having definitely not flinched at the sudden movement only for the butt of Maeve's rifle to knock his own back down before he could take a shot, "You know I don't mind a scrap, but... we can just let this thing take the stupid hunk of junk, right?"

"Potentially." Maeve said as the slowly reached up to the side of their helmet. There was a click, and Mia heard a low, sharp whine come from it that faded away as the eye pieces flickered a brighter red before they too disappeared into the dark. "But only potentially. I'm not getting anyone under me killed over it."

"...But you still wanna take a look." ventured O'hanrahan, running a hand down his face.

"But I still want to take a look." Maeve agreed. "Worthwile puzzle to solve, I think. pieces moving on a board I think the NCR needs to see. What's your name, car guy?" They finally asked. "Give me that, and I'll give you your frequency. Then we can see how we size up against Polyphemus out there."

She pulled her gaze away from trying to pierce into that thick darkness when she heard that whine, looking over that way and raising an eyebrow. Figured that was some kinda way to see in the dark. "Damn, what I wouldn't give for one of those." She fell silent for a moment before continuing. "Ya really gonna follow after it. Hrm. Well, fuck it, curiosity already had me followin' this far insteada doin' the smart thing. Never was a genius anyway. I'm comin' too. I'll follow yer lead, soldier boy."

• Useful
Reactions: Orangewasp
"This mission's voluntary." snapped Mags, though whether their initial joining of the military in the first place was the case around the board was made a little less clear by the glare she got from her fellow back-seat squadmate.​

200w.gif

"Okay." He answered noncommittally, though not without giving Mags an extremely protracted and weird look that seemed to imply it was anything but. Or was it?
She pulled her gaze away from trying to pierce into that thick darkness when she heard that whine, looking over that way and raising an eyebrow. Figured that was some kinda way to see in the dark. "Damn, what I wouldn't give for one of those."

Mia might've wondered about the faint scoff of irony the driver emitted at that, and his eyes told a story of the man briefly pitting conscience against better judgment as he took a few much shorter sips on the cigarette to dispense of it. Before too long, he spoke.

"Well, my fridge mighta been a disappointment t'you, brigand woman. But root around in that duffel I keep back there, you might be pleasantly surprised."

If Mia retrieved the bag from where it had (fortunately) been blasted into the corner by centrifugal force, her curiosity at last found itself rewarded, as she lifted away the ballistic-weave leather jacket to find a helmet much the same as Maeve's in composition. There were minor distinctions; this one was much more scratched and faded, bearing the washed-out tones of sand and olive-green rather than the red and black of the NCR's elite. A significant dent adorned the right side of the helm, the result of some large-arms munition or other being repelled with more difficulty than others, but functionally it still worked just fine, the visor emitting an identical high-frequency tone and lighting up neon emerald instead of crimson if tested.

"Some old salvage. Don't fit none too well these days. If you're wonderin' as to why I'd ever loan out somethin' so valuable, I happen to know some folk in Goodsprings."

He paused, old soldier instincts letting the momentary impulse to get all sentimental and elaborate pass.

"That aside… if your loadout means you good at what I think you good at, and whatever's under that sleeve works s'well as it moves, odds are you'll be the one tanglin' with this fella on a personal level the most, it comes to that. Sorry, now."
But I still want to take a look." Maeve agreed. "Worthwile puzzle to solve, I think. pieces moving on a board I think the NCR needs to see. What's your name, car guy?" They finally asked. "Give me that, and I'll give you your frequency. Then we can see how we size up against Polyphemus out there."

A few moments' quiet followed, another weighing of what he had to gain vs what he had to lose carried out with spartan efficiency before he answered.

"Luther," he frowned. "From Baja."

Another pause, this one a little more hesitant, then a small ghost of a smile.

"Well. Given the less-than zero chance we's all about to ride to our deaths with a posse of nameless, homeless strangers, we might as well go 'round in a circle. Get all Kumbaya with it. I know I'll lose sleep if you don't at least give us a clue where that accent is from, darlin'." He added respectfully to Loulou, not entirely as oblivious to her earlier glances as he let on. He was aware of the effect he had on tribal women.

More pointedly though, the fact was sitting heavy on him that one man had already died today, from Oak Creek, west of the Big Empty, and there wasn't a one of them who could say his name.​

Last edited:
Mia might've wondered about the faint scoff of irony the driver emitted at that, and his eyes told a story of the man briefly pitting conscience against better judgment as he took a few much shorter sips on the cigarette to dispense of it. Before too long, he spoke.

"Well, my fridge mighta been a disappointment t'you, brigand woman. But root around in that duffel I keep back there, you might be pleasantly surprised."

She didn't even bother turning at the scoff, not wanting to get into something else, but after he spoke up, well. That got her attention. She stared over at him without saying a word for a bit too long, just letting what he was getting at fully sink in for herself. "..............no fuckin' way." There was no hesitation after that as she stepped back into the car to go check out said duffel bag. The helmet clearly had seen better days, having been through some serious shit, and somebody rocking some serious caliber had taken a shot at him...but it worked just fine, as she discovered when she slipped it on with an almost child-like extra wide smile and did the same thing she'd just seen Maeve do. She wasn't much for the soldier life, of constantly taking orders, but damn if they don't often got some of the coolest stuff.

And not to knock the intimidating red and black, but this one was much more her colors.

"You...you can't be serious." She couldn't help but whisper, still not quite believing, even with the helmet already on her head.​

"Some old salvage. Don't fit none too well these days. If you're wonderin' as to why I'd ever loan out somethin' so valuable, I happen to know some folk in Goodsprings."

He paused, old soldier instincts letting the momentary impulse to get all sentimental and elaborate pass.

"..." That would explain it enough. No more needed to be said, least not from him.​

"That, and if your loadout means you good at what I think you good at, and whatever's under that sleeve works s'well as it moves… odds are you'll be the one tanglin' with this fella on a personal level the most, it comes to that. Sorry, now."

She froze up at that, though, and just not at the thought of her squaring up with that giant monstrosity more than the others, humanoid tank that it was. That thing could probably square up with even a couple Deathclaws in a fist-fight if it came down to it, as far as she was concerned from that brief look she'd gotten. Nah, how he brought up her sleeve got her to tense up the most, her still flesh and blood arm reaching over and running a palm down over her sleeve, checking if there was a new tear or something that she had missed, because how had he....

She was relieved she had this helm on now, at least to hide the look in her eyes from him as she stared at him. Her mind raced, wondering if she'd somehow made it obvious, done a shitty job of hiding it, or what.......though, in immediate hindsight, her tensing up after that probably didn't help none. She coughed, more outta awkwardness now than the desperate attempts to get the ash outta her mouth from earlier, and hurriedly changed the subject.

"Hey, uh....yeah, thanks. Loanin' this out is.....appreciated." She replied. Even now, she just wasn't really used to saying that, and it sounded weird when she did manage to spit it out, almost like there was a part of her embarrassed that she was saying it at all.​

Mags eyes widened when she saw the helmet, with surprise and a tinge of something else, but she didn't say anything. Maeve glanced backwards and didn't comment on it directly themself, only looked back forward with a small nod.

"Sure. A pleasure, Luther from Baja. Mags, give him the frequency on your way. Everyone except O'Hanrahan and Razz can get back in the car. I'll leave it to Mags and Mr. Baja here to help guide setup."

"Wait, who's in comm-"

"-I assume you'll be able to come up with a plan without a pissing contest" Maeve cut Mags off, their tone a little short. "It seems like our new friend has a better idea of the terrain there than the rest of you. Use that"

"...Fine."

Maeve's helmted tilted back ever so slightly, expression unreadable in the helmet, yet apparently crystal to Mags. She cleared her throat as Poindexter smirked at her.

"Yes, ranger."

"Try to stay off the radio until contact or an emergency" Maeve continued. "It's locked onto the securitrion, so it's got some wireless capability. Considering what we saw come out of a glorified signboard, I imagine that whatever's going on in that thing is even more advanced.

If there was the same shadow of remorse in them that Luther was feeling about that particular existence's destruction, it didn't come through the calm, matter of fact tone.